BajaNomad

My 'Lost Mission' story in new DISCOVER BAJA magazine.

David K - 8-26-2009 at 07:52 AM

The new (Fall, 2009) edition of DISCOVER BAJA is online and features my story (4 pages with photos) of finding Choral Pepper's lost Santa Maria Magdalena mission site...

There are other stories of interest to Baja Nomads in this new edition, including the earthquakes near L.A. Bay and Marv's photograph of Smith Island shaking! Discover Baja is having a party at the new club location on Sept. 12, as well.

Please enjoy the magazine: http://www.discoverbaja.com/pdf/fall09.pdf

BAJACAT - 8-26-2009 at 06:34 PM

GOOD JOB DK

Udo - 8-26-2009 at 06:36 PM

I just downloaded it, David...WOW!

Udo - 8-26-2009 at 06:43 PM

AND...nice foto of 'Lizabeth on the front page

Sharksbaja - 8-26-2009 at 06:50 PM

Good job David. I was my pleasure to help you out. Thank you for the nod and for not divulging it's exact location...yet.

woody with a view - 8-26-2009 at 06:57 PM

you guys did good! there's no shame in not regurgitating info for the masses.... history revisited for sure!

now just remember that when someone asks you not to post maps and detailed gps directions to spots you will never return to, much less ever surf.

MAYBE you'll get the correlation now? what's SACRED to you versus what is SACRED to others......

can i get an AMEN from the congregation?

Sharksbaja - 8-26-2009 at 07:11 PM

ahem... I mean amen!:yes:

THANK YOU AMIGOs!

David K - 8-26-2009 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
you guys did good! there's no shame in not regurgitating info for the masses.... history revisited for sure!

now just remember that when someone asks you not to post maps and detailed gps directions to spots you will never return to, much less ever surf.

MAYBE you'll get the correlation now? what's SACRED to you versus what is SACRED to others......

can i get an AMEN from the congregation?

Thanks Woody...

I never post GPS details of a place someone has taken me to and asked me to not tell.

I actually will return to the mystery spot (lost mission) again... In fact I wish anyone driving to L.A. Bay or on south the 35 miles to investigate the site and report back here what they think it was. This is a human made mystery, so no reason humans shouldn't go there and try to figure it out! A difficult, steep climb is necessary to see the walls up close.

While the directions to the site are not in that article, there is a link to my web page for the discovery which does have the directions.

There are far more online viewers of Baja Nomad than Discover Baja I believe, so the article is more of a tribute to Choral Pepper and the spirit of discovery that still exists in Baja for the folks who have not read my 'Baja 109' trip report (Jan. 2009) here or the discussion on the site.

The editor of the newsletter (Lynn) did a nice job, too!

Maybe I will see some of you at the Discover Baja party on Sept. 12? I will try and be there early (1-2 pm) as we have a family event that afternoon/ evening.

woody with a view - 8-26-2009 at 07:23 PM

yeah, just what i thought. someone you respect asks you to shut up and.....

you'll never get it will you?

i never wanted to go here in public, but there are guys just waiting to come bumper to bumper with you out on a single track somewhere, someday, AMIGO!!!! keep it up!

just thought you should know......

Sharksbaja - 8-26-2009 at 07:24 PM

"This is a human made mystery, so no reason humans shouldn't go there and try to figure it out! A difficult, steep climb is necessary to see the walls up close.

While the directions to the site are not in that article, there is a link to my web page for the discovery which does have the directions."

Woody, I take it back. I forgot to ask DK not to post the GPS there but alas, it ain't a secret locale no mo... obviously:no:

woody with a view - 8-26-2009 at 07:28 PM

Quote:

While the directions to the site are not in that article, there is a link to my web page for the discovery which does have the directions.

why are the details not in the article? why did you point those members to your website? sounds like narcissism again!

i don't really care what you say/think/respond. i just want to call a culo a bruto!

DISCLAIMER!!!! i apologize to all the rest of you.

David K - 8-26-2009 at 07:31 PM

Corky, the information has been online for 7 months now... No need to start this again. You didn't take me there, you only showed me a space photo of a line on a hill and asked if it could be the site... I didn't know until I went there and looked in person. I am greatful to you for helping me find the site in such a big region I had been searching over and over.

Why keep such a wonderful mystery from other Baja loving people to enjoy in person as well??? I don't get the need to keep secrets from friends... Aren't all people who love Baja good enough to be friends with?

David K - 8-26-2009 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:

why are the details not in the article? why did you point those members to your website? sounds like narcissism again!

i don't really care what you say/think/respond. i just want to call a culo a bruto!

DISCLAIMER!!!! i apologize to all the rest of you.

Because I didn't EDIT the article, Lynn did... and providing a road log took more room than a link. It isn't a secret and my web site isn't all about me, it's about helping you people find some interesting places to see and some travel and historic details. Have you spent any time at vivabaja.com or the links there?

woody with a view - 8-26-2009 at 07:38 PM

Sharks and DK

CONGRATS TO YOU FOR YOUR HISTORICAL FIND.

DK you seem to think that promoting baja is the end all, that you'll somehow not be loved by your mother if you don't post every turn in the road for the masses to digest. i understand your passion as much as you don't CARE/GET IT about anyone else wanting to keep their passions to themselves.

why are your views valid and none others? i've never seen you give an inch as to this subject, why?

WAKE UP! the sandbox is not yours alone!!!

[Edited on 8-28-2009 by woody in ob]

[Edited on 8-28-2009 by woody in ob]

David K - 8-26-2009 at 07:46 PM

Woody I don't hassel you to post details of your surf spots do I?

That you think any spot in Baja is a secret or private to us gringos is beyond me...

I have always drawn maps and written road logs or trip stories... it isn't only me... There are plenty of Baja guidebooks out there... It is just what I do (share my discoveries with my friends and readers).

You do what you like in Baja, and you will never have me tell you to do otherwise... I wouldn't dream of it. If you don't like what someone writes, then don't read it... but don't insist the author stop writing. I get so many positive emails and u2u's about how I have helped someone have a great time in Baja with my posts here on Nomad, I would not even think of stopping.

Sorry you don't like my writing, but I think there are worse things to complain about these days, don't you think, amigo?

woody with a view - 8-26-2009 at 07:51 PM

Quote:

my web site isn't all about me, it's about helping you people find some interesting places to see and some travel and historic details. Have you spent any time at vivabaja.com or the links there?

yes, US PEOPLE...... the same ones who don't appreciate you telling us about places we know about already, and have put in the time and money to get to just to find it as we pictured it in our heads......EMPTY of people, except the locals. remember those "ugly fish camps" as you said? well we have made lifelong friends with the families who inhabit those places you will never return to.

stay on the cortez side and forget about "US PEOPLE"....... why don't you understand "OUR POINT?"

oh, and i have not spent any time at viacaca.com although i'm sure there is some good stuff, just nothing "WE"RE" looking for!

woody with a view - 8-26-2009 at 07:56 PM

there are no secrets..... except the ones that the you don't know about, and since you'll never return, you'll never know about.

again-why are your views valid but you never give an inch to any other point of view?

Mexitron - 8-27-2009 at 04:50 AM

Nice article David---it didn't occur to me that you were divulging information that would lead people to build a hotel on the site or something....although I guess someone could start a guided tour of the place but frankly I don't know that some rock walls are that interesting to most people---people do really go for those cave paintings though and I haven't seen Harry Crosby raked over the coals on this board for the invasion of the Sierra San Francisco.

I sympathize with both sides on this issue though, I think you know how I feel about the Sisters, but this article doesn't seem to out of line with any other archeological articles that have been written in the last 50 years.

Corky1 - 8-27-2009 at 06:09 PM

What MEXITRON said +2!!!!

Corky:lol::lol:

woody with a view - 8-27-2009 at 06:37 PM

Quote:
again-why are your views valid but you never give an inch to any other point of view?

we're still waiting for you to look in the mirror...... the truth hurts, eh?

David K - 8-27-2009 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Corky1
What MEXITRON said +2!!!!

Corky:lol::lol:

Thanks Corky...

That article was written 7 months ago... this was just the first chance Discover Baja had to use it in their magazine. All these issues were discussed here on Nomad last January.

Why some here have the need to drag up the same old worn out complaints about an old rock wall is beyond me...

If I never shared this, it still doesn't change a thing other than show you that Baja holds some interesting sites. There are more walls and odd sites down there... THIS one was writen and photographed 43 years ago... I only showed the SAME place as it looks today... and it looks THE SAME!

Now Bahia Concepcion and Cabo San Lucas was also photographed 43 years ago and look at it today... If you are going to get upset at travel writers, then this rock wall on a hilltop story sure isn't a reason to be, when so much of Baja has been developed/ destroyed/ etc.

Sour grapes maybe, but it is really silly 7 months (or 43 years) after the story was first posted... Come on Nomads... get out there and find adventure, get excited, enjoy the desert... it is the Magic of Baja!

Skipjack Joe - 8-27-2009 at 10:41 PM

Quote:

why are your views valid and none others? i've never seen you give an inch as to this subject, why?

Cause he doesn't respect you ?

Oh that wall!

Sharksbaja - 8-27-2009 at 11:03 PM

Ouch. David you brought it all back not me but for the record. you've always known how I feel about sensitive areas and the necessity of protecting same. You are all for that right?

So when I sent the pics to you I hoped it was the understanding that before sharing this discovery that you would do the prudent thing.

I was elated you enlisted a pro to evaluate or weigh in on the find. You are the one who decided that this place is not special at all, just a rock wall on a hill. I'd say there was some serious goings-on there what with surface water and all.

Anyhoo I had no control over your emphatic interest and postings. I should have realized that your proclamation(s) of the site justified your sharing all.

Recently you mentioned to me that the place HAS NOT been scrutinized for relics or hidden clues to it's existence.

How would you know how many folks have tread there since your disclosure. Go ahead, play it down.

[Edited on 8-30-2009 by Sharksbaja]

woody with a view - 8-28-2009 at 03:44 PM

we're still waiting..............:barf:

ELINVESTIG8R - 8-28-2009 at 04:07 PM

Great piece David. Thank you for sharing.

Phil S - 8-29-2009 at 07:50 AM

David. don't give "Obie One" the satisfaction of an answer. You do what you do. And I enjoy them. Great pic's. Interesting place. I've got to check that out one of these trips down. What's with the huge mountain? Any info on it? Obie One obviously hates your guts. I'm certainly not one of them.

BajaRob - 8-29-2009 at 08:02 AM

Civil discourse is informative, enlightening, and entertaining. Personal attacks suck.

David K - 8-29-2009 at 11:02 AM

Thanks again amigos...

Phil S, what 'huge mountain' are you speaking of? Sharksbaja's Google Earth images are not reduced to fit on 15" monitors, so the Nomad page gets spread wide... is that why it looks huge, if the mesa is your question?

The walls and other items that Choral Pepper wrote about in 1966 are on or around the hill/ mesa that is 2 miles south of the fish camp at Bahia las Animas/ 35 miles from L.A. Bay town. This was all posted on Nomad last January... my story was written back then too... It just finally got published in Discover Baja this month. Nothing new was brought out... no idea why the fresh dose of drama here, unless some are just bored?

Happy times my friends!:cool:

Mexitron - 8-29-2009 at 05:49 PM

:cool:

David K - 8-30-2009 at 08:35 AM

The area is not 'sensitive'.. It is very rugged and will outlast us all... We are talking about a wall of rocks, in the desert, up a steep hill, next to a busy and well known road.

Go see it, and try to figure out the purpose... It looks the same as it did 43 years ago when Desert Magazine first reported it... and it will look the same 43 years from now.

There is NO reason only a few should be aware of this mystery spot... Don't be Baja hogs and hog a place to yourself when others could enjoy it. This is not like a beach or a hot spring that people want to spend time at... this is hard to climb up to, it is hot (even in winter) out there, and once you see the area and ponder the purpose you will go on to your fishing or surfing spot you treasure so much.

Those beach locations are a lot more prone to being 'ruined' by too many people... so keep those secret if you want. If it helps, remember that my favorite beach camping place in Baja is Shell Island. I have always shared it with you... and it is still there, it is still beautiful, and it is still uncrowded.

Have some faith in the Baja Internet... it is viewed by people like you and me... who love Baja and who will haul out what they haul in and not 'ruin' a location.

TacoFeliz - 8-30-2009 at 09:58 AM

Good work David! Thanks again and please keep sharing.

And for anybody who missed it (woody in ob?) the footer in the photos Sharksbaja posted will give you all the GPS info you need. So how about everybody just QUIT YER WHINING?

-----:tumble:------

woody with a view - 8-30-2009 at 10:48 AM

we're trying to have a conversation via u2u..... i don't have a dog in the fight regarding the other side of baja.

DK knows where i stand, hopefully he doesn't share u2u's, also.:lol:

TacoFeliz - 8-30-2009 at 11:41 AM

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Seven sisters. Been there, knew about it when I was a teen in the sixties.

It's just not news. Heard before how secret folks think it was.

It wasn't. It isn't. Time to move on.

Sharksbaja - 8-30-2009 at 11:51 AM

Larry

Actually, I don't know that DK guy and it was he who was the one to realize first it may be sensitive. I never said THAT place was sewnsitive how could I know. Either way, he ignored my wishes.

Look, I know I blew it trusting him to not post it's locale. WhyTF do you think I not care much about posting Google views any more, well that and the Mulege homeowner haters that give so much..

How's that go, "fool me once,............."

BTW Larry I'm also being lamblasted by others by some JR dude.

Here is an copy of a recent u2u that the author suggests I post. WhyTF not methinks:

Sharksbaja
Folder: Inbox
Sent: 8-28-2009 at 06:08 PM
Message: Corky, I think you’ve probably figured out most of what I have to say on your own! First and foremost, DavidK himself made it abundantly clear that YOU discovered the “Lost Mission” site; buried on page 3; right before he goes on to upsurp your find by claiming it’s rediscovery as his! He threw you a bone, but you deserve the entire damn steak!

I believe that you understand by now that DavidK will never comprehend what the rest of the world views as a breech of confidence, a violation of trust and possibly friendship. DavidK is DavidK; he’s shown his true colors in post after post after post! There is no room in his mind for anyone outside himself to have valid opinions because his narcissist personality & ego simply will not allow him to be wrong EVER! It’s all about him, there is simply no way his brain is going to accept that anyone else is right and he’s wrong. You can’t squeeze blood out of a turnip; you can’t expect DavidK to offer up something that is not in him.

DavidK is a narcissist, he’s egotistical, he’s selfish beyond the point of most peoples’ comprehension. He’s painted a picture of a good guy on a white horse in his own mind & nobody, short of a psychiatrist, is ever going to get him to see how antisocial his actions towards others are. Frankly, I’d place my wager on DavidK rather than the psychiatrist!:wink:

woody in ob, myself & countless others saw through his smokescreen and recognize it for what it is. Everyone should know from past experience he’ll never admit that what he did is wrong, because in his mind he can do no wrong. He lacks the mental capability to accept the fact that anyone who has the audacity to think differently from him could possibly be right; there is only room for one truth and that’s DavidK’s truth. The only thing sacred to DavidK is DavidK.

On the bright side, I hope you noticed that he’s NOT standing in the exact same spot that Bruce Barron stood; based on one very distinctive rock shown in both photographs, it appears that he was 6-10’ off in two directions! And while he was able to work a picture of his damn Totoya in, there are no pictures of his mother, him in his Boy Scout uniform, or him kissing a cardon!

Consider this a lesson learned the hard way! He’s not worth your anger or frustration, he’s not worthy of your friendship!

Feel free to post this if you want to, but please just sanitize it to remove my identity, and please, don’t post my GPS coordinates!

_________

Lesson learned. Be sure, it wasn't friendship I was after just help exploring Baja. In this case he really never achieved either except to further his image imho. Where's the research to prove the walls are either insignificant or not.

Funny how he hasn't followed through with his "discovery" and actually knows what the hell they were, or how, or who, or when they were built. Just that that was where his beloved "real Baja nomads" were decades ago and it ties him to them. Big whoopteedoo! Well I guess it does impress some.

So you see I view DK as impotent when it comes to conclusive information. He's not an archaeologist. He wants others(obviously) to know where it is so they can do the dirty work for him. As always he'll manage to get the most credit but then, that's nothing new to most of us.

I was really shocked when I mentioned I had other sites identified and of similar nature and he balked and did not respond.

I can't undo what I did but it gave me more reason to STFU.

Go figure. :barf:
----
David, that you posted all that stuff before does not exhonerate your behavior of disclosure.

Wait till you see all the artifacts that have been gathered there preempting any treasure seekers that follow DKs suggestions and directions..

woody with a view - 8-30-2009 at 02:40 PM

and over on the other side we know of a rock art site. i don't think we'll be sharing it here, either.

we went 3-4 rounds via u2u today and i tried AGAIN to explain a very simple point. i got it to 2 sentences. what do you think happened?

life's short.... enuff of that ding dong. i'm going surfing.

David K - 8-30-2009 at 05:30 PM

The drama is really sad and childish about this... Posting u2u's is pretty shallow too...

Whatever, for you 2-3 who like to take an opportunity that my story got published to try and tarnish my travel story, well how sad for you boys...

I share what I see, as others do here with trip reports. Long ago (statring in 2001, I reported on my searching for the site Choral Pepper (not me) made famous in her magazine. Sharks and most of you knew of my years long search... many of you JOINED me searching for the site... I even made a web page of my searches years BEFORE Sharks helped me: http://vivabaja.com/1757

Sharks showed me a Google Earth image and asked if it was what I was seeking... I said it looks like it, but I would need to go in person to be sure. Sharks knew Choral Pepper had hoped I would find it as she had tried to relocate it herself, in 1995. When I returned from seeing the site, I told Sharks about my report/ story and asked him how he would like to be credited in my story... How else would I know his last name, which HE requested I use... I can't thank Sharks enough, but I sure tried. Seeing the same site in Choral's photos was one of the greatest moments I have had.

Who ever's u2u you decided to expose here does not know me, otherwise he would know I am none of 'those'... I am a trip report person, and I am the one taking trips and adding the reports here on Nomad. Why do people come to Nomad? To READ about Baja, not to watch these feuds among people that should be friends...

Thank you for the nice posts, u2u's and emails from people who want to see more and learn more about Baja and appreciate what I do here and unlike many other (former) Nomads, I won't let the bullies chase me away.

Stop the DRAMA... Read what you want, ignore stuff you don't care for... If you can't add something constructive, how about leaving those of us who like exploring Baja out of your petty squabbles? i.e. GROW UP

mtgoat666 - 8-30-2009 at 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Posting u2u's is pretty shallow too...

whoa! the pot calling the kettle black!

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Who ever's u2u you decided to expose here does not know me, otherwise he would know I am none of 'those'...

everyone here knows DK;
and me thinks it is sexist to assume the u2 u came from a "he" (I do think DK is an equal-opportunity offender, his behaviour is dished out with equal opportunity for all :) )

Sharksbaja - 8-31-2009 at 02:15 AM

I like to give someone the benefit of doubt. Only then will I have to deal with my decisions. In this case well, he went too far and I paid.

David don't act so naive.

JESSE - 8-31-2009 at 02:27 AM

Crazy gringos.

Sharksbaja - 8-31-2009 at 02:39 AM

Am I a Gringo?:bounce: