BajaNomad

Baja Highway 1 Condition after storm...

Pages:  1    3

BajaCactus - 1-22-2010 at 03:09 PM

Hi everyone,

There are several places of Highway 1 impassable at the moment (Jan 22, 2010), due to the heavy rains:

-- The bridge at Las Animas has collapsed.
-- The bridge at San Vicente was also affected.
-- Apparently, the bridge at Colonet has also been damaged.
-- The bridge in Col. Guerrero is damaged.
-- The bridge in El Rosario has partially collapsed... many stranded people south of it... food supplies are being delivered with ropes over it.

Normal communications with the San Quintin area are unavailable at the moment... no phone services, no cellular, no internet (only Movistar services are available in some areas). TelNor and Telcel have dispatched technicians via air to attempt repairs.

Even though crew repairs have been sent to repair the road, it seems they are working their way from the North, therefore there have been no time frames mentioned for completion... I do not know, but common sense would suggest that the water flowing in those rivers has to subside before attempting repairs... this could delay the repair crews.

If you plan to travel to Baja in the next days, it would be wise to wait a little bit and see how things develop.

Hope this info is helpful.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

[Edited on 1-25-2010 by BajaCactus]

[Edited on 1-26-2010 by BajaNomad]

baja-spirit - 1-22-2010 at 03:24 PM

Thank you for the information. We were planning on crossing the border Tuesday, but I think we had better wait a few days. We don't want to be part of the problem.
Been wanting to get down there for a few weeks now so a few more days won't hurt us...except we are in snow!!!!

bajaandy - 1-22-2010 at 03:34 PM

Thank you Antonio for the current road information. Wow... that sounds like quite a bit of road and bridge damage. Hope they get things fixed soon!

BajaNomad - 1-22-2010 at 03:36 PM

Wow. Important update. Thank you Antonio!

bajarich - 1-22-2010 at 03:39 PM

I am planning to leave Salt Lake City tomorrow morning to drive to LA area, spend a few days and then cross at TJ toward the end of the week. I was going to leave last Tuesday but held up because of the storm in LA. I hope they can get the necessary repairs done by then. I may be traveling with Pompano who is planning to cross on Friday or Saturday. I'm heading to the East Cape para pescar.

Please Antonio, keep us posted.

Rich

BajaNomad - 1-22-2010 at 04:03 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=43750

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-22-2010 at 04:21 PM

I just called my brother Mario in Ensenada and he said what Antonio said with respect to roads and communications. Bridges are out or damaged. El Rosario is currently under a communications blackout with both Cell and Landline. Mario did tell me he spoke to the family in El Rosario yesterday and all are well so far. Thank God! I have visions of the Tromba that came through El Rosario all those years ago and had Mama Espinoza floating on top of that round table clinging on for dear life as the flood water roared around her.

[Edited on 1-23-2010 by ELINVESTIG8R]

Donjulio - 1-22-2010 at 05:02 PM

San Felipe is fine. Come on down.

Bajahowodd - 1-22-2010 at 05:31 PM

Mex 1 is the lifeline of Baja. The authorities will, as usual, mobilize to reopen it as soon as possible. I just think that anyone planning to go South of Ensenada needs to be patient.

toneart - 1-22-2010 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Mex 1 is the lifeline of Baja. The authorities will, as usual, mobilize to reopen it as soon as possible. I just think that anyone planning to go South of Ensenada needs to be patient.

I agree! The government was certainly very quick in responding and taking care of business after Hurricane Jimena, further south.Mother Nature needs to cooperate first, though.:yes:

RPaitich - 1-22-2010 at 06:05 PM

Friday 3 PM; we were turned back 15 mi south of Ensenada by La Policia. They said the bridge at San Vicente is out, dunno when it will be fixed. Now at hotel in Ensenada; we'll stay overnight and see. If it will take too long, we may go to Los Mochis and take the ferry to La Paz. Ron

Paulina - 1-22-2010 at 06:21 PM

Dern is heading out tomorrow morning at first light. We got a phone call yesterday from our neighbors in Punta Banda that mud decided to move in, letting itself in the front door.

The clean up crew (Dern and Carter) are on the way. I wish I could go too.

P<*)))>{

Mud Flow - the Original Parachutista

Gypsy Jan - 1-22-2010 at 07:06 PM

Today, this Friday afternoon, we traveled north into Rosarito on the free road. From Los Medanos (the dunes) south of Primo Tapia to Los Gaviotas there were patches of dirt/mud/pothole areas that are rough, but navigable. The road was full of local compact/low rise vehicles navigating the various hazards in both directions and, as usual, the taxis roared by and around slower traffic at warp speed, drenching the slower vehicles with mud splash.

No part of the road was underwater and in Rosarito central, the vados (storm drains) were flowing fiercely, but staying within their banks. Intersections were gloppy, but passable if you wanted to turn off the main boulevard onto the side streets.

San Vicente

BajaCactus - 1-22-2010 at 07:25 PM

My friends,

I just saw some very impressive video images on the local news in Tijuana (Jan 22, 18:00) about the bridge in San Vicente...it has a part totally collapsed (no bridge at all) and the water is still flowing very high on that river... it seems unlikely they will have a pass on that place soon... not until the water comes down quite a bit.

Many people stranded in between the towns of San Vicente and Col. Guerrero... they cannot move forward or backwards... not enough food or water in the small villages...it is really bad down there.

El Rosario and San Quintín are still on a communications blackout... only Movistar cellular services seem to be working in some parts.

Government authorities say they are on site, with the appropriate machinery to conduct repairs, just waiting for waters to come down and be able to work.

Again, double check your itinerary if you are planning to come to Baja soon... better to wait in home than on the road or a hotel.

Antonio Muñoz
BajaCactus

[Edited on 1-23-2010 by BajaCactus]

Debra - 1-22-2010 at 07:43 PM

Antiono, thanks for the updates. I pray that things will get better for the locals soon.

rts551 - 1-22-2010 at 07:59 PM

Thanks Antonio.

30-40 years ago this used to happen often. With the long term drought we forget.. and now with more people and a very fine hwy we are more dependent on getting north and south.

Keep the news coming

Washed out...

BajaCactus - 1-22-2010 at 08:33 PM

Forgot to mention that several deeps on the highway, north of El Rosario, were also washed out by the rain... I suppose this may also apply to several others along the highway.

A "contact" at the SCT told me that it may take up to three days until they can begin repairs on the bridges and roads.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

BRIDGES WASHED OUT IN BAJA

jgreenlaw1 - 1-22-2010 at 08:35 PM

BRIDGES WASHED OUT JUST NORTH AND SOUTH OF SAN QUINTIN BAJA MEXICO

Just heard from a friend that you can not travel further south than colonia vicente guerrero. The last time this happened it took weeks to repair. Can no longer even contact family via cell phone. If you want to travel forther south you will not be able to. People living close to the bridges have been told to leave.

UPDATE san vicente bridge and bridge just south of the Ensenada military check point El Zorillo is also washed out. A total of 4 bridges gone.

BAJACAT - 1-22-2010 at 08:35 PM

Gracias Antonio, espero que tu familia se encuentre bien, espero verte en FEB 12 si esto se compone.lol

Pompano - 1-22-2010 at 08:55 PM

History is repeating itself ..in a bad way.

In 1979 while enroute to Mulege in my pickup camper pulling a boat, myself and about 500 other travelers were stranded between flooded rivers and washed-out bridges between San Quentin and El Rosario.

We were there for 15 days before the waters receded and we were able to navigate the muddy river bottoms to the opposite shores..and regain the highway south. We all pitched in and provided for each other, and also the Mexican Army helicopters would airlift water and supplies to us. I recall a lady had fallen and hurt her hip and was evacuated by helicopter.

It was actually not so bad for most of us tourists...being stranded with so many new friends was a great experience, in a unusual kind of way. We entertained ourselves with songs, playing cards, group cooking, and fireside chats. I kept up a poker game every night in my camper. Lost a few pesos..won a few pesos...and had a ball.

Looks like we will be going the long way around to get to Conception Bay on this return trip...but hey, it's another adventure! ;D

I hope everyone down there stays safe, fed, and warm.

Buene suerte.

I just found a pic of Pompano's...

Mexray - 1-22-2010 at 11:44 PM

...new RV-Boat...

He's puttin' us on - he's just going to 'plow' right across those flooded arroyos... :yes:

boat rv.jpg - 38kB

Puente de San Vicente

BajaNews - 1-23-2010 at 02:26 AM

[Edited on 1-23-2010 by BajaNews]

san vicente

BajaNews - 1-23-2010 at 02:33 AM

BajaNews - 1-23-2010 at 02:41 AM

David K - 1-23-2010 at 05:35 AM

Thanks Antonio and Doug for the news updates... Wow, it is maybe worse than '79... ?

Jack Swords - 1-23-2010 at 07:13 AM

Well, here we are again in La Paz and bridges washed out on the highway back home. In 1979 the same thing happened and we crossed over at Laguna Chapala and went home through San Felipe. This part of Baja is in the rain shadow and doesn't get the same impact from heavy rains. And...that way is greatly improved since 1979. We did check at the ranch next to the dry lake and confirmed it was "no problema". So it looks like that may be our alternative this time too. The dry lake was full of water then and we had no problem driving up from La Paz by this route. We'll wait a few days, gather info, then head back home via Puertecitos.

baja Steve - 1-23-2010 at 07:44 AM

Received and email from a friend in Puertecitos and said a lot of traffic is going through the last day or so both ways and even trucks

Communications blackout over...

BajaCactus - 1-23-2010 at 09:09 AM

It seems the repair crews sent by air to correct the communications blackout have been successful.

The San Quintín area electricity has been restored (at least in most places) and also phone and cellular services are working again... internet services as well.

Bridges are still out... they kept receiving a lot of rain last night down there and therefore the creeks and rivers are still high in water... repair crews cannot begin to work until they come down.

The bridge in El Rosario is still down and the water on that river bed is high... many people stranded on the south side... water and food supplies are still being crossed on buckets and ropes to help the people on that side.

Things are slowly getting back to normal... Having electricity and a way to communicate with the area is a huge relief... now we have to wait for nature to cooperate.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

DFir - 1-23-2010 at 09:17 AM

Hello Everyone...new guy here...I am planning on driving to Mulege Feb 12-15 sometime. IF the road is not open or it's still super slow what would be my best alternative, back roads or go to Guaymas and take the ferry accross? I'm driving a 4x4 Dodge pickup, so I could suffer through the bad road, but the ferry sounds easier (except I'm a few inches too long for the pickup rate and I don't know what it might cost). Any advise/ opinions gladly accepted!

mulegemichael - 1-23-2010 at 09:20 AM

antonio...thanks so much for your regular updates...please keep us in the loop regarding the bridge repairs if you can.

SDRonni - 1-23-2010 at 09:20 AM

Is the toll road open to south Rosarito???

k-rico - 1-23-2010 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDRonni
Is the toll road open to south Rosarito???

Yes

Storm Watch

desandmarla - 1-23-2010 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus
It seems the repair crews sent by air to correct the communications blackout have been successful.

The San Quintín area electricity has been restored (at least in most places) and also phone and cellular services are working again... internet services as well.

Bridges are still out... they kept receiving a lot of rain last night down there and therefore the creeks and rivers are still high in water... repair crews cannot begin to work until they come down.

The bridge in El Rosario is still down and the water on that river bed is high... many people stranded on the south side... water and food supplies are still being crossed on buckets and ropes to help the people on that side.

Things are slowly getting back to normal... Having electricity and a way to communicate with the area is a huge relief... now we have to wait for nature to cooperate.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

Thanks so much Antonio for the updates. There are a lot of us stuck here in Guerrero Negro although we are grateful to be safe and warm unlike some others. I realize you are not an expert but having so much experience down here what would your guess be as to how many days it will be until the traffic might flow north?? A picture of the damage to your bridge would be awesome if you could post it!! Thanks, Marla.

David K - 1-23-2010 at 10:00 AM

Antonio is not in El Rosario...

"I just saw some very impressive video images on the local news in Tijuana (Jan 22, 18:00) about the bridge in San Vicente..."

Which has got to be hard on him not being able to get to his businesses if he needs to now!

motoged - 1-23-2010 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajarich
I am planning to leave Salt Lake City tomorrow morning to drive to LA area, <snip> I may be traveling with Pompano who is planning to cross on Friday or Saturday.
Rich

Cool:cool::cool:....I am looking forward to his travel pics and account;D

El Rosario bridge...

BajaCactus - 1-23-2010 at 10:22 AM

An estimate in repairs is very hard to get... in the past, the SCT crews did not begin repairs until the water flows came down... if they work the same way this time it will be up to nature to decide when they can start to work.

Once they can begin repairs a lot can be done with the appropriate machinery... perhaps a day or so in each bridge to create a temporary pass on the river bed (assuming there is little or no water flowing on it)... we have four bridges down... if they work fast maybe 3-4 days to have the traffic flowing once waters subside... again... very difficult to make an estimate.

Regarding the bridge in El Rosario... I just got this picture from my staff down there... it was taken on Jan 23rd, at 7:30 am.

We need to be patient my friends... everything will be back to normal... just have to wait.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

El Rosario bridge.jpg - 47kB

storm watch

desandmarla - 1-23-2010 at 10:34 AM

Thanks so much, we appreciate all the info. Can you attach the picture, it did not come through. thanks, Marla.

oops

desandmarla - 1-23-2010 at 10:35 AM

Sorry, it just took a while to download but it's there.

tripledigitken - 1-23-2010 at 10:35 AM

OMG!

David K - 1-23-2010 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
An estimate in repairs is very hard to get... in the past, the SCT crews did not begin repairs until the water flows came down... if they work the same way this time it will be up to nature to decide when they can start to work.

Once they can begin repairs a lot can be done with the appropriate machinery... perhaps a day or so in each bridge to create a temporary pass on the river bed (assuming there is little or no water flowing on it)... we have four bridges down... if they work fast maybe 3-4 days to have the traffic flowing once waters subside... again... very difficult to make an estimate.

Regarding the bridge in El Rosario... I just got this picture from my staff down there... it was taken on Jan 23rd, at 7:30 am.

We need to be patient my friends... everything will be back to normal... just have to wait.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

WOW... I imagine the other half of El Rosario (in Abajo) is cut off, as well... They don't even have bridge to them... you have to drive in the river bed to get there!

[Edited on 1-23-2010 by David K]

El Rosario bridge.jpg - 47kB

Bajahowodd - 1-23-2010 at 12:56 PM

I'm guessing that there are at least a few nomads with backgrounds in some engineering discipline. Just wondering, even given the incredible forces of nature, how it is that so many bridges seem to fail, and some repeatedly. Are they building on the cheap in some cases? The El Rosario bridge damage is stunning. Reminds me of repeated failures at El Tule near Cabo. And then, there was that bridge failure on the almost new toll road from SJD airport. Is this all random? Or is there some blame to be assessed?

woody with a view - 1-23-2010 at 01:32 PM

whatever the reason, blame is for later. let's hope they can get these bridges fixed or the rain stops so people can proceed with their "normal?" lives....

bigboy - 1-23-2010 at 01:38 PM

From what I've observed during construction of the highway and the bridges in the early 1970's was that the bridge abutments and column bents were not placed on piles but used spread footings.

Spread footings are fine if properly designed and placed deep enough where in a high flow situation, they are not undermined by raging water. Because of upstream and downstream mining operations by the locals, the flowline elevation of the streambed will lower during high flows and wash out improperly designed spread footings.

Bridges built using piles and spread footings will generally hold up better and are less costly to repair since the spans don't usually collapse. Let's just say I've never seen a pile driver used on the northern half of the Baja highway during it's initial construction.

Another problem is a raging river will change course and wash out the embankment at the bridge abutments. This is easy to repair as long as the abutment is intact.

Many years experiance as a civil engineer and highway construction resident engineer.

mulegemichael - 1-23-2010 at 05:49 PM

any updates as to whether or not they have plowed through the arroyos past the bridges to open the hwy?..i'm headed down tomorrow so it would be nice to know if i'll be able to get to mulege????

fishbuck - 1-23-2010 at 06:04 PM

You won't get past Ensenada. Maybe Manaeadero.

road conditions

desandmarla - 1-23-2010 at 06:08 PM

The Federales (Hwy Patrol) are estimating 3 more days according to Enrique the owner of Mallarimos. Certain cities are starting to run out of propane, gas and diesel. If you are not already stranded somewhere (like us in Guerrero Negro), stay home until you know the road is open. That way the trucks will have time to deliver supplies, gas, propane and water before you will need them coming south. Just my opinion but after three days of being stranded, you will wish you were not!! The campground here is filling up and many have said they wished they would have had someone tell them how bad it is. I am telling you, if you are south enjoying the sun, do NOT head north yet. We will start posting the minute we hear the roads are open. Safe travels, Marla.

fishbuck - 1-23-2010 at 06:12 PM

I think it is safe to say the highway is closed from Maneadero to G. Negro at this time.
3 days minimum. My guess is 1 week and maybe more.

Estrella - 1-23-2010 at 06:21 PM

Many thanks for the updates-we have already been on the road and were to cross the border tomorrow morning on our way to Mulege. We are currently in Los Angeles with a full truck and towing a small trailer. Will reconsider our options and wait it out. Just another adventure for us. Our hearts and thoughts are with all those affected by these events.

bajaguy - 1-23-2010 at 06:23 PM

Come on down to Ensenada and enjoy the wait

fishbuck - 1-23-2010 at 06:28 PM

How's it looking over at San Filepe?
Wait it out over there. Probably warmer than Ensenada.
Cut across on Hwy 3 when Hwy 1 opens back up.

Paulclark - 1-23-2010 at 06:29 PM

I just talked to someone who went north to Lake Chapala to look at the Gonzaga Bay route and turned back as the lake is actually a lake. -- no go.

fishbuck - 1-23-2010 at 06:33 PM

From the hiway side or coming from San Filepe?

Estrella - 1-23-2010 at 06:53 PM

We are on our way to Mulege, stuck in LA, waiting. Any hard info on the San Felipe/Puertecitos route?

oladulce - 1-23-2010 at 07:05 PM

As a veteran of the Jan '93 El Nino storms and collapsed bridges in the San Quintin area where we were stranded for 3 1/2 weeks, I can tell you it is NOT fun after a while.

We learned that the truckers were a reliable source of road information. More importantly, when the big trucks can get through, then the fuel trucks can get through. Until then, you don't want to be stranded at a Pemex with 100 of your newest amigos all awaiting fuel delivery.

No matter how badly you want to get home or to travel south, do not get on the road until it's confirmed that the roads are passable and bypasses have been made down in the riverbeds since repairs on the major bridges can take a long time if there has been severe damage.

Luckily we were in our camper so we were fairly comfortable for the first few days, but eventually you run out of water... and food... and potty facilities...

Also, if you're in a town with a bank, stay there! At least you can replenish your pesos if your visit extends longer than you hoped.

fishbuck - 1-23-2010 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulclark
I just talked to someone who went north to Lake Chapala to look at the Gonzaga Bay route and turned back as the lake is actually a lake. -- no go.

Paulclark is referencing the same road you are asking about.
If you get to San Filepe you won't get any farther south.
Not a bad place to wait it out. But I think you would still end up going through Ensenada.
When the hiway opens.

mojo_norte - 1-23-2010 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Suggestions on nice places to hang out in an RV?

rooms in ensenada

kenahuff - 1-23-2010 at 08:38 PM

are all the rooms full in town?? we are headed to Loreto, but would not mind spending time in Ensenada if we can't make it past that.
thanks for all the posts

BajaNomad - 1-23-2010 at 08:39 PM

From Antonio (BajaCactus) via an email in my inbox that arrived at 4:41pm today...

Looks like the photos are from a cell phone.

---------------------------
Could you please post these images... My staff sent them to me about 4 hrs ago, but I am not at home or the office at the time.

It seems people are getting desperate to cross over the bridge at El Rosario... Also, about three hrs ago some fishermen went to the gas station asking for some fuel for their "pangas" (fishing boats) to cross the river on them and bring the people on the other side to the town.

Thanks my friend.

Antonio
BajaCactus
---------------------------

[Edited on 1-24-2010 by BajaNomad]

IMG00341.jpg - 6kB

BajaNomad - 1-23-2010 at 08:42 PM

Another photo of the bridge...

IMG00339.jpg - 8kB

BajaBB&Bugs - 1-23-2010 at 08:53 PM

Just did the detour route off 1 to San Felipe today. Started off in Loreto heading north this morning and just made it to San Felipe tonight.
Approaching Guerrero Negro there were some vados with running water over them. Nothing major. Then close to Vizcaino a long, deep wash. Looks like the whole town turned out to watch the brave (or stupid) made the crossing. We made it ok, but that was just the beginning. Had to cross 2 more raging washes. Finally I had to take care of some "business" and I happened to be at the turn off for San Felipe. Just then a pick-up was coming south from Cataviña. He was headed back to Guerrero Negro, but I told him the washes were running hard and getting deeper. He said he watched the last one we crossed for 3 hours the day before and decided to head back to Cataviña for the night. As we were talking a police truck was heading towards us from San Felipe direction. We asked how the road was and they said it should be good except for a real ugly part just down the road from us. So we chanced it. Just 5 mins down the road a good 30' of road was gone, washed out. Some guys were trying to make it work throwing tires and filling them in to make the transition from road to washed out section and back up easier to do. I was the last of about 5 trucks to make it through. It was pretty hairy.

The good news is that it was pretty straight forward from there, except for a wash or two (or three) filled with rutted and loose sand. 4X4 wasn't a requirement because I followed a Ford F-150 4X2 that made it and he followed a Toyota Tacoma lowboy 4X2!! I had to congratulate that guy after he made that big jump. Not so sure he's in alignment now, though. But at least he's moving in the direction he needed to go. I have a Toyota Tundra 4X4.

3-4 days in Cataviña with the possibility of another storm moving in within a few days was not something I wanted to do. Thankfully it worked out. An added bonus was that the new pavement south of Puertecitos started WAY earlier that I expected! It was a beautiful sight to see! Fresh new blacktop around 8-12 miles south of Puertecitos. Can't wait til they make it all the way to 1!

However, since it was my first trip on 5 I didn't understand how serious they were when they said "ZONA DE VADOS". I bottomed out pretty good on the first one going about 60. Then the second one surprised me, too. By the third one I was almost sliding sideways into it trying to slow down. Lesson learned.

Our hearts go out to all those stuck or otherwise inconvenienced. Be careful out there.

fandango - 1-23-2010 at 09:03 PM

4b:
welcome to the nomad board.
good first post.
glad you made it. did you take any photos?

fishbuck - 1-23-2010 at 09:10 PM

There you go! It is possible to get to San Filepe from hiway 1. If you have a decent truck that's not all loaded down.

pic of wash near Vizcaino today

BajaBB&Bugs - 1-23-2010 at 09:28 PM

Thanks for the welcome!
Yeah, I was thankfully on my way BACK to the states, thus not overly loaded. On the way down would've been impossible with the load I had. TRAVEL TRAILERS NEED NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROAD! Did see a Shasta type motorhome, though. Don't think he was going all the way to 1, though. Just to the outpost there, perhaps?

As a PS, the Pemex out there (yea, there's a Pemex out t h e r e...) was out of gas as of today. :O

IMG_0692.jpg - 30kB

Bob H - 1-23-2010 at 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulclark

Wow, I'd love to see a photo of Chapala with water!! Unreal.
Bob H

jdrilling - 1-23-2010 at 10:06 PM

Hello, thank you for all your information. My husband and some friends were to be surfing about an hour north of Guerrero Negro in Santa Rosalita area. Any information on the roads would be much appreciated.

fishbuck - 1-23-2010 at 10:26 PM

WOW 4B you gotta have big balls to wade into that!
And yes welcome to BajaNomad.

David K - 1-23-2010 at 10:56 PM

So, with care... Hwy. 5 between San Felipe and Chapala and then on south is passable with a truck... Thanks BajaBB&Bugs... welcome to Nomad! Oh, yah... that section from San Felipe to Puertecitos was made to different 'standards' than most other highways! Now, the new road from Puertecitos on south is a totally different road!

bajaguy - 1-23-2010 at 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Suggestions on nice places to hang out in an RV?

Try the Estero Beach Resort

fandango - 1-23-2010 at 11:31 PM

estero beach or campo la jolla. at la jolla you can set up camp right at the beach. not many campers there now. hot showers and a nice beach. also, world famous pancakes at taco plaza next door.

BajaNews - 1-24-2010 at 01:12 AM

Puente Vicente Guerrero; San Quintin

BajaNews - 1-24-2010 at 01:38 AM

woody with a view - 1-24-2010 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBB&Bugs
Just did the detour route off 1 to San Felipe today. Started off in Loreto heading north this morning and just made it to San Felipe tonight.

Finally I had to take care of some "business" and I happened to be at the turn off for San Felipe.

which "turnoff for san felipe" did you take? chapala to gonzaga and then north?:?:

Traffic flowing...

BajaCactus - 1-24-2010 at 12:36 PM

Hi my friends,

Traffic has began to flow through the highway again... in El Rosario bridge, a path has been made on the river bed and a tractor was being used to help pull vehicles when needed.

People coming from the north that have stopped at BajaCactus, told us that some bypasses have been made on the river beds of the other bridges that collapsed, and that now is possible to drive all the way to Ensenada.

Even though we cannot personally confirm this or the condition of these temporary paths on the river beds... it seems that, for the moment, road communications have been restored and there is a way through now (Jan 24th, 2010).

Let us hope this does not change with the upcoming rains announced for next week.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

[Edited on 1-24-2010 by BajaCactus]

TonyC - 1-24-2010 at 01:35 PM

Great news, but I need a confirmation to this. Still here in Soccoro wait to get on the road.

Fuel...

BajaCactus - 1-24-2010 at 01:40 PM

I forgot to mention that, according to some people coming through at the BajaCactus Gas Station, there was little or no fuel at the Gas Stations in the San Quintín area... we have received several people from San Quintín trying to buy fuel by the barrels.

At the BajaCactus Gas Station we still have plenty of fuel, however, since Pemex has not told us when they will be able to send us more, at the moment we are only selling whatever is needed to fill the tank of the vehicles.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

BajaNomad - 1-24-2010 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
... in El Rosario bridge, a path has been made on the river bed and a tractor was being used to help pull vehicles when needed.
Photos showing this are here:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=43802

TonyC - 1-24-2010 at 02:19 PM

ok... so once I get past El Rosario what is the outlook on the rods north to San Felipe? Are the roads to there the same or is it time to book a flight out?

fishbuck - 1-24-2010 at 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyC
ok... so once I get past El Rosario what is the outlook on the rods north to San Felipe? Are the roads to there the same or is it time to book a flight out?

Tony, if you have a full tank of gas go for it.
It will be slow going at the washed out areas. But it sounds like bypasses have been made. Might be 1 car at a time across so it will be backed up.
But it does sound open with some tricky crossings.
If anyone can make it you can.
I'd head straight to Ensenada. The highway will get fixed first.
Maybe leave greylight tomorrow.
Most of the rain water will be drained by then and the arroyos should be crossable in your truck.
Get out before the next storm.

[Edited on 1-24-2010 by fishbuck]

woody with a view - 1-24-2010 at 02:27 PM

isn't Socorro north of El Ros? maybe dude SHOULD wait.

BajaNomad - 1-24-2010 at 02:52 PM

Tony,

It sounds to me that you're in El Socorro, south of San Quintin, but north of El Rosario. Also, from what Antonio has posted, traffic is able to get through between Ensenada and El Rosario at this time - as reported by travelers to the people working at the Pemex in El Rosario.

Based upon this, the crossings to your north should be your best choice, versus considering the crossing at El Rosario to your south.

(but if you need GAS, you may need to consider going south to El Rosario first and filling up, then turning around to go back north)

[Edited on 1-24-2010 by BajaNomad]

fishbuck - 1-24-2010 at 02:59 PM

Can someone post Antonio's number for TonyC and any other numbers that might help.
I'll try to call the ABC bus in TJ and see if they are running yet.

fishbuck - 1-24-2010 at 03:15 PM

I just checked the ABC bus out of TJ to El Rosario.
No bus tickets are available for today. So either they are sold out or no buses today.
Tomorrow they have like 10 buses running. So I think tomorrow is the day the hiway is okay.
But if you really want to know call them.

woody with a view - 1-24-2010 at 03:17 PM

how does Antonio's # help the guy? how soft some have become. if they are saying you can make it what more do you need? are you gonna sit and second, third, fourth guess yourself and wait until the next storm before setting out?

just go!

fishbuck - 1-24-2010 at 03:32 PM

Damn straight Woody!!!

Okay Tony, that's 2 votes for "Go for it"
I'm starting a poll!

Maybe he could call Antonio to make sure he has fuel incase Tony needs some.

Fuel at BajaCactus...

BajaCactus - 1-24-2010 at 04:29 PM

This was our fuel inventory at BajaCactus on Jan 24, 2010, at 3:00pm:

Magna: 41040 lts
Premium: 45817 lts
Diesel: 43807 lts

As you can see we have plenty of fuel at the moment... Pemex told us it could take at least 3-4 days until we can be resupplied.

Since yesterday, we have been dealing with people trying to take our fuel by barrels... maybe with the hopes of reselling it when it becomes unavailable in the area... we are refusing to sell it this way, so we can protect anyone coming through, making sure they can continue on their way.

On the other hand, if there is anything anyone think we can do for you, please feel free to contact me, anytime, at my personal e-mail: info*at*bajacactus.com.

Also, you can contact us at our phones at BajaCactus:

From Mexico (616) 165-8850 and (616) 165-8700
From the US (619) 694-1082

We are here for anyone needing assistance or help.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

David K - 1-24-2010 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBB&Bugs

Finally I had to take care of some "business" and I happened to be at the turn off for San Felipe.

which "turnoff for san felipe" did you take? chapala to gonzaga and then north?:?:

Yes Woody... the Chapala/ Coco's Corner/ Gonzaga road... he described it in great detail earlier... a BIG washout was 5 mins. from leaving Hwy. 1, but a low 2WD Tacoma got through, he said.

For others who didn't read the Gonzaga Road Report in Marv Sherrill's thread: The road is passable in 2WD... just very rough between Gonzaga and Huerfanito... as it has been for 5 years.

Vicente Guerrero Bridge status

nickmol - 1-24-2010 at 06:26 PM

Here are some photos of the bridge at Vicente Guerrero

http://picasaweb.google.com/NMolatore

[Edited on 1-25-2010 by BajaNomad]

baja-spirit - 1-24-2010 at 06:56 PM

Thank you for the info Antonio..we appreciate it. We are going to wait a week or so and see how things are. Anxious to get down there but not wanting to play in all the mud....

BooJumMan - 1-24-2010 at 07:22 PM

oh wow! thanks for the photos. So how is traffic getting across?

San Vicente Bridge

desandmarla - 1-24-2010 at 08:08 PM

Wow thanks for the great photos. It shows those of us stuck south that progress is on it's way. Would it be possible for you to let us know when cars are able to cross northbound??

baja-spirit - 1-24-2010 at 10:16 PM

How did you guys see the photos? I tried copy and paste into my browser..and got nothing...help please

David K - 1-24-2010 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja-spirit
How did you guys see the photos? I tried copy and paste into my browser..and got nothing...help please

http://picasaweb.google.com/NMolatore

baja-spirit - 1-24-2010 at 10:22 PM

Thank you David...

David K - 1-24-2010 at 10:25 PM

No problemo amigo!

BajaBB&Bugs - 1-24-2010 at 10:31 PM

Hey Woody...

Sorry, it was the turn off about 40 miles south of Catavina going toward Las Arrastras. Make sense? It was my first time out there. Always talked about doing it. Thought I'd be more "prepared" to do it. (food, tire repair kit, better jack, etc...) But all in all, it was 4 hours of nut and bolt rattling fun! (did I just call it fun???)

Incidentally, I started with 3/4 of a tank of gas and ended up in San Felipe with just under a 1/2. It's a 23 gallon tank. I average 12-15 mpg normally.

Still can't believe I made it as I sit at home in AZ now...

BajaNomad - 1-24-2010 at 10:36 PM

Quote:
Magna: 41040 lts
Premium: 45817 lts
That totals just slightly under 23,000 US Gallons of automotive gasoline available for those not familiar with the calculation.

Thank you for the updates Antonio.

Bridges condition...

BajaCactus - 1-25-2010 at 01:22 PM

Hi,

This is the information we have so far, gathered from several sources.

As of today (Jan 25, 2010, 10:00am), the bridges are still down and a permanent and final repair will take some time… in the meantime, temporary bypasses have been made on the river beds… high clearance vehicles are crossing, sometimes with the aid of tractors that pull them as needed.

Heavy traffic is still not able to cross these affected areas, therefore the San Quintín area has little or no supply of fuel. Pemex estimates at least a couple of days until their truck pipes can begin distribution again.

In Col. Vicente Guerrero, farmers are really desperate for fuel and to be able to move their produce... they have organized themselves and are clearing a path up the creek with their own machinery... (to the east of the collapsed bridge, near the hills)... where there is more possibilities for a safe cross. After crossing the creek, this bypass will then reconnect with the main highway. They expect to have a safe way to cross tomorrow afternoon.

At the BajaCactus Gas Station, we have enough fuel for the next 3-4 days (we have limited our sales to full tanks on the vehicles)… we believe truck pipes will be able to resupply us before we ran out.

Food and other supplies in the area are also scarce… locals are beginning to get a little desperate… however the water levels on the creeks are slowly but steadily dropping, everyone knows this and are doing their best to patiently wait until things come back to normal.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

Fresh update on road conditions, Highway 1

Binger - 1-25-2010 at 01:28 PM

I just got off the phone with the Malarrimo Hotel in Guerro Negro and the clerk there gave me a just and I mean just released road condition report. The police report said that all roads will be open by either 8 or 9PM this evening.

He said to allow 7 hours driving time from Ensenada to GN plus an extra 1/2 hour for traveling thru the arroyos on the two bridges that were out.

Said lots of trucks stranded that should move out in a few days.

Report sounds good. I will keep everyone advised.

Thanks, Binger

baja-spirit - 1-25-2010 at 01:55 PM

Thanks Antonio and Binger.. appreciate the updates... We are thinking next Monday to head out

New update... Jan 25, 2010, 13:00 hrs

BajaCactus - 1-25-2010 at 02:13 PM

Traffic has been restored in all areas... with some difficulties but there is a way to pass.

San Vicente... right now it has a path on the river bed which can be crossed by high clearance vehicles and even small vehicles on their own. The local farmers have gathered all their available machinery and are building a temporary base for the collapsed portion of the bridge, with huge stones from the area. It is expected to a have a partially restored bridge by tonight, without pavement but for every type of vehicle.

Col. Guerrero... also has a path on the river bed, which now can be crossed by high clearance vehicles on their own and small vehicles aided by tractors. The long bypass up the creek that was being worked on was suspended... everyone turned their machinery to the main bridge, and following San Vicente's example, are working on a temporary base for it. They expect to have a semi-functional bridge by tonight.

El Rosario... this is another story... 4x4's are now crossing on their own, high clearance vehicles, semis and RV's can also cross aided by tractors and a couple of bulldozers (sent by Los Pinos by the way)... small vehicles are being crossed on a truck with a platform... it sounds like an adventure but there is a way through.

If the upcoming announced rain does not get the water levels to high, there should be no problem for continuing crossing these damaged areas.

Safe travel everyone...

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Pages:  1    3