BajaNomad

Age when you decided to make the plunge

Barbareno - 1-31-2010 at 03:19 PM

Another question that was asked here on this thread "Age of Nomads living in Baja" has inspired me to ask what age made you finally make the plunge.

For many of you ex-pat's that live permantently in Baja... what made you decide to move and leave everything behind, knowingly or unknowingly and where your destination would be?

This question only apply's to people who do not have the "security" of a home in the north.

I would make this into a Poll but don't know how.

[Edited on 1-31-2010 by Barbareno]

bajalou - 1-31-2010 at 04:10 PM

RR Retirement kicked in at 62 and I was gone to Baja.

longlegsinlapaz - 1-31-2010 at 04:15 PM

Barbareno....see up at the top right in every thread, there's a button for "New Post" & right next to it is a button for "New Poll". It would be easier to read the results consolidated as a poll, at least on the age portion of the question.;)

Diver - 1-31-2010 at 04:16 PM

We could have done it 3 years ago before the market died.
We should have.
We waited because of the kids.
You don't have kids.
You never know what tomorrow will bring.
Check your budget realistically and if you can,
GO FOR IT !

djh - 1-31-2010 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbareno
For many of you ex-pat's that live permantently in Baja... what made you decide to move and leave everything behind, knowingly or unknowingly and where your destination would be?

This question only apply's to people who do not have the "security" of a home in the north.

That is a blunt distinction, as for many, self included, that transition is sometimes a process rather than a moment. For me, the moment I decided was back in the 70's (age 18) when I KNEW I would live here some day , for however long.... Another moment was when I actually bought my property 4+ years ago, age 50.... The process, however is still in motion, since I have a couple more years to work (and save) and some building to do in Baja.... it is all a fun adventure and long time love affair for me.

Most of my expat neighbors still have SOME sort of place "back home" even though they are lucky enough to live as long as they like (each stretch) in Baja.

Anyway, I too am curious about other's stories, their "moments" and their processes. We all share in the adventure, and I TRY to learn from others' experiences and the insights they've acquired.

djh

[Edited on 1-31-2010 by djh]

Timo1 - 1-31-2010 at 04:21 PM

This kinda really interests me too :lol:

grmpb - 1-31-2010 at 04:24 PM

Bajahowodd - 1-31-2010 at 04:27 PM

The answers will be all over the place. I will say that by limiting it to people who are full-time Baja residents, you may be also limiting the sample pool based on wealth. Face it. If folks can afford two places to live, it changes the decision making process. For instance, for someone able to have two addresses, places such as Loreto, Mulege, or La Paz, which are wickedly hot and humid in the summer, become attractive locations for those who may only wish to live there 7-8 months of the year.

k-rico - 1-31-2010 at 04:37 PM

I moved permanently to Mexico at 56 to achieve the American dream. It just wasn't comfortably within reach otherwise.

I don't consider a mortgage as ownership.

[Edited on 1-31-2010 by k-rico]

Diver - 1-31-2010 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1

I hope she's planning to take you with !! :lol:

Donjulio - 1-31-2010 at 04:49 PM

39 moved to Penasco then over to San Felipe. Now 49. Reality is might have to go back.

Paulclark - 1-31-2010 at 05:03 PM

45 when we moved -- now 58 -- not due to wealth as we still work and made the move for new adventures and experiences in life and took advantage of the opportunities available.

bajabass - 1-31-2010 at 05:09 PM

42=weekend house in La Mision. 48=married my beautiful Mexican wife. 51 next month=out of here by the end of the year:yes:

BajaRob - 1-31-2010 at 05:19 PM

52. Accepted offers that we could not refuse. Best move that we ever made.

Bajahowodd - 1-31-2010 at 05:19 PM

bajabass hits upon another issue in the equation. Many nomads of the male persuasion had the good fortune to find romance and more with a Mexican citizen, which makes the idea of living South of the border all that more attractive for many reasons. If there are any Gringas out there who accomplished the same feat with a Mexican male, (Shari Bondy excepted) please identify yourselves.:tumble:

BajaGringo - 1-31-2010 at 06:22 PM

Great advice. I did it when I was 46. Wished I had done it years earlier...

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
We could have done it 3 years ago before the market died.
We should have.
We waited because of the kids.
You don't have kids.
You never know what tomorrow will bring.
Check your budget realistically and if you can,
GO FOR IT !

longlegsinlapaz - 1-31-2010 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbareno
Another question that was asked here on this thread "Age of Nomads living in Baja" has inspired me to ask what age made you finally make the plunge.

I would make this into a Poll but don't know how.

Barbareno, two things you said in your post lead me to believe that you're not quite ready to make "the plunge"...."leave everything behind" & "people who do not have the "security" of a home in the north." IMO, you haven't totally embraced making a full-time, permanent move to Asuncion; there are doubts in your mind whether or not it's the right thing for you to do, regardless of your age. I think this post is a good start to get your doubts out on the table & let others share their thoughts & feelings with their own personal experiences. I think it's good to have concerns rather than just moving blindly forward, but at some point it has to FEEL totally right for you to take the plunge. I feel concerns are good, but lingering doubts could doom you to failure.

Look forward toward what you'll be gaining, the amazing lifestyle change you'll experience rather that what you'll be leaving behind.

That said, here's how I came to be in La Paz………

I took a 2-week vacation to La Paz with my sister-in-law in March 1998. I loved it here! The FIRST day back from vacation, I found out that my job of 18-years with The Boeing Company was going to be outsourced to IBM. I interviewed with IBM & received a job offer to stay in the same job, same desk, supporting the same customer base. I accepted that offer on a straight across basis…my time, salary, benefits, etc. went with me. IBM left me on the Boeing account for approximately 6 months before moving me to Consolidated Freightways, in downtown Portland. Four different freeways & a 1-hour commute each way on a good day! I hated the commute, I hated the job; there was no challenge to it, no personal job satisfaction whatsoever.

In October 1998 I brought my then 81-year-old mother to La Paz with the idea of looking for property to buy when I was financially able to retire....the time-line in my mind at that time was when I was 60-62. Mom went from trying to discourage me by telling me there was no way I could live in a 3rd world country because I’d miss all the conveniences I’d always had in my life in the states....to telling me if I didn’t buy the piece of waterfront property which we happened to be standing on at the moment, that I’d be stupid!:lol: I did buy it, but with the idea that I wouldn’t be able to afford to retire, move & build for 8-10 years. Boy, was I wrong!:bounce:

The FIRST day back at Consolidated Freightways after that vacation, I found out that IBM was offering a resignation incentive package of 3-month severance pay & 6-month medical/dental coverage to certain job classifications, mine included. I jumped on it! I resigned as of December 31, 1998.

I began getting rid of non-essential possessions in both my home & my mothers’ home....the rule was neither of us got rid of anything we weren't totally willing to part with! I put both our homes on the market, sold Moms' 3 vehicles. I spent the next year researching the hell out of retiring & living in Mexico. When my home sold, I had United Van Lines pack all my household goods & put them into storage & moved to Moms. When her place sold, United packed all her possessions & added it to mine in storage. I got FM3’s for each of us & bought a 22’ Minnie Winnebago for us to live in during construction & we left Portland in November 1999.

I felt I’d lost control of my own life through a seemingly endless series of crap that happened, beginning with the death of my father in 1996, when I applied for relocation to Boeing Portland for Moms' sake. The company relocated me & I sold my home of 19 years in the Seattle area the first week I listed it. I bought a new home in Clackamas, 5 miles from Mom. Then things started going downhill....my dog & I were attacked by a pit bull on the Oregon coast (dog to vet with bite wounds, me to ER with a bad bite left knee, mine got infected, 1 month on crutches), a few months later, I crushed my left foot with my own car:O (I didn’t get it into park before leaping out to save my dog from a huge Chocolate lab in front of Mom’s, realized it was still rolling & tried to get back in, but it pulled me face-down & the rear tire rolled over my left foot crushing it into gravel, pine needles & bunny poop! No broken bones, just extensive soft tissue damage & 6 weeks on crutches.) Then I had a very bad reaction to a spider bite on the back of my left thigh....was rear-ended on the way to work the day I was turning in my resignation paperwork to IBM! I decided it was time to take all the lemons life was throwing my way & set up my own lemonade stand (euphemistically speaking) in La Paz!! I was down here permanently a year after buying my property & haven’t looked back since! Absolutely no regrets! For me personally this was the best decision I ever made!

Mom, now 92, was down here for 2 years before the heat got to her, she missed her friends & opted to go back to Portland.

I was 53 when I moved, I liquidated all my assets in the USA & used that money to began building my first casa. We lived on Mom's $830 a month SS for the first two years until my Being retirement kicked in at age 55 & I just got a raise when my SS kicked in the end of 2009. Life is good!:spingrin:

Edit typo

[Edited on 2-1-2010 by longlegsinlapaz]

BajaGringo - 1-31-2010 at 07:08 PM

Way to go Legz...

Barbareno - 1-31-2010 at 07:42 PM

Life is good! Long Legs that is the exact story I wanna hear. For encouragement? No...just the facts mam.

You pegged it by asking or questioning my post in if in fact I am ready to make the move. Of course I have doubts, who wouldn't, and I thank you for your honesty.

[Edited on 2-1-2010 by Barbareno]

fandango - 1-31-2010 at 07:54 PM

longlegs:
that is a great story!

BajaGringo - 1-31-2010 at 08:29 PM

Good luck to you and your family soulpatch. With your attitude and outlook, it sounds like you will do just fine...

;D

shari - 1-31-2010 at 08:37 PM

bajahowodd....how come I'm expected???

moving to baja is NOT for the faint of heart or spirit...it has been a long, glorious but at times disturbing road for me. Like longlegs, I think lots of people move here as a result of a chain of events...need for a change etc.
For example, some coworkers of mine at the Biosphere Reserve in guerrero negro asked me to housesit thier terrific house for 3 months which was a step up from the tent sirena and I lived in. At the end of 3 months they called and said they werent coming back and I could just keep the house and all the furniture etc....and that was how I began to live in GN. Then I needed a place for all the furniture and stuff and found a 2 story house for $2,000 which we happened to have as the result of making an Imax whale movie....which was another fluke!! The pieces just all came together little by little. When I did go back to BC, Canada, I just couldnt concentrate on living there....I was always planning, packing etc. for baja and my heart just wasnt in canada any more.

In my case, the birth of sirenita sealed my fate. For the first years of her precious life, we were back and forth from BC to BC so I was homeschooling sirena.I wanted her to learn both languages and experience both cultures,...until one year she told me she wanted to be a normal kid...go to shcool, wear a uniform and not live in two countries...she said it was too hard saying goodbye to friends & family in both countries every few months. So she chose to live in Baja which seemed like a better place to grow up. That is when I knew I needed to work on my spanish!

It was a process that began in 1988, it took a few years to relocate entirely. While it has by no means been easy...it certainly has been a challenge...a learning experience but the good definately outweighs the bad. I am glad to have found Bahia Asuncion and Juan and our lives are full of joy....who wouldnt love being able to go to the beach every day?? I feel I can live a much richer life being poorer!

it's the end of january and we had an awesome day at the beach...the water was perfect for swimming and i got a little sunburn too...ate some fresh crab and life is good.

[Edited on 2-1-2010 by shari]

longlegsinlapaz - 1-31-2010 at 09:34 PM

Quote:

So Timo1, what does YOUR schedule look like?:lol:

longlegsinlapaz - 1-31-2010 at 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
The answers will be all over the place. I will say that by limiting it to people who are full-time Baja residents, you may be also limiting the sample pool based on wealth. Face it. If folks can afford two places to live, it changes the decision making process. For instance, for someone able to have two addresses, places such as Loreto, Mulege, or La Paz, which are wickedly hot and humid in the summer, become attractive locations for those who may only wish to live there 7-8 months of the year.

I disagree with you!:no: Barbareno posed her question to get the answers she was looking for; obviously part-timers need not respond because she plans on being full-time resident & she wanted input from full-timers. She doesn't care about part-timer input because that's not their plan. She locked in the "sample pool" she was interested in hearing from.

You have the freedom to ask the questions you want to ask within the perimeters that are important to you in your own posts....let others ask the questions they want to ask, with their own personal choice of perimeters. Don't be muddying up the waters! Fair???:rolleyes:

Cyanide41 - 2-1-2010 at 07:19 AM

Wow, am I the only Nomad under 40? Technically I am not an expatriat yet. Ask me again in a year. The only thing holding me back is money. I am no where close to retirement and have yet to strike it rich.

bajabass - 2-1-2010 at 08:17 AM

Great thread! As I covered in my previous thread, I am ready to make the move. Legs and Shari, thanks for sharing. Yours are two positive stories, detailing moves to Baja permanantly, under 2 completely different circumstances/situations. Though everyone's will differ, a composite overlay start to show common denominators. I see the main one as the desire for a simpler, better life! As I research the pros and cons of the biggest life change I will ever make for me and my family, that main reason will stay in the front of my mind, and be the end result. I am sure! My wife was in Ensenada visiting her family, and the topic of our move came up. Turns out her sister, who is single, wants to come with us. She thinks that she and her son will have a better life than they have now in Ensenada. If this happens, I think it will make the move easier for my wife and I, for she and her sister are very close, so it should at least lessen her homesickness, which is sure to be a factor. Please keep the positive reasons coming, the negatives as well. The more information and histories I can proccess, the closer I get to walking away!!:bounce:

k-rico - 2-1-2010 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
Turns out her sister, who is single, wants to come with us. She thinks that she and her son will have a better life than they have now in Ensenada. If this happens, I think it will make the move easier for my wife and I, for she and her sister are very close, so it should at least lessen her homesickness, which is sure to be a factor.

Cheap housing is the reason I moved to Mexico, and family ties are why I picked Tijuana. My wife is from Tijuana and she raised two fine sons here by herself. Dad bailed out when they were babies. They're both bachelors in their early 30s, working full time in white collar jobs and share a condo, but she still cooks for them, cleans, and does other things to make their life easier. It would have been a mistake moving away from them, she would be very unhappy. Maybe in a few years we'll move out of the war zone and rent the house.

wessongroup - 2-1-2010 at 08:42 AM

Must agree with Legs... and one can't get this kind of information from any book.. dog bites, having children, crushed feet, and more .. and it's all from various locations in the Baja.. such a deal

Want to thank those who have shared there lives with us.. As I'm thinking of moving down this way, but have decided to stay a year and find out what is going on..

I know I have posted before that I used to come down here in the 50' and 60's with my Dad.. my mother did not like Mexico at all.. thought it was dirty and overall just an awful place.. me as a kid with my brother.. hell it was paradise.. we loved coming done here.. no showers, sleeping in tents.. all the fireworks you wanted, and in Downtown Ensenada the police would be throwing fire crackers out in the streets with us, when our Dad was out on a half day boat and we did not want to go.. he would just leave us at the car and let us run the streets.. never had a bad time down here to date...

But, we stopped coming down when my Dad died in 1971.. it just was the same anymore.. we scatted his ashes at the rocks to the south of La Mision, it was his wish

Well, for me, had some surgery (back, fusion surgery) that left me in a hospital bed.. in 2001, was not supposed to walk, my employer finally want to get rid of me "potential liability" one year "human resources" required me to sign a document which got them off the hook for anything to do with me medically and then the next year I get a bad "report card".. Had asked a couple of Loan officers that were "crying" about a deal that I had killed due to SERIOUS environmental problems.. IF THEY WERE WEARING DRESS?.. Seems one can't offend anymore.. In my youth I would have looked them up!! but I was and old guy in a hospital bed, that was the best I could do..

Well, I pull the plug, just weeks before my 63 birthday in Nov of 2004.. I quite under "Doctors" orders.. so they could not fire me and close me out on all my "stock options" they had so generously given me over the past 13 years.. was able to cash out just before Allen Greenspan brought to the attention of God and County that the loans would be indexing "by the way" and who was going to be paying for them?? It was also very interesting that after these comments in Japan in 2006.. he has never been heard from, and his book received no real coverage, and he is now persona non qrata around the financial community..

Well, back to me.. I was in a hospital bed for years... again was told I would not walk, but after three years I was moving around, albeit very, very slowing... then I slipped on the new "pergo" floors the wife just had to have.. and fell and broke my left hip.. now that was a great one, my back is screwed up and I can barley walk, now I'm in the hospital with a broken hip.. I'm not doing very good, but the poor sucker next to me is dying, he fell land on lagging and broke his back.. he is not eating and responding to anyone.. I'm in the roof with him and I start trying to talk to the guy, he's a bit older than me, few years not much.. well the reason this guy is not responding is that he wore "hearing aids" in both ears and they fell out during his fall of around 30 feet and he can't "HEAR" anyone.. and the next challenge, is I'm told that I have to get out of my bed and move down to the "physical training area" so they can get me up and moving on my repaired hip.. I thank them and told them that would be impossible as I messed up from prior back surgery and can't walk to start with.. they get peeed at me and tell me they will tell the doctor.. said go get him.. He shows up and announces that he is Dr. X in charge of the Hospital's Department of "physical therapy" I told him congratulations on his position, however has he taken the time to read my "chart" well seems I've just peeed off someone else, just can't get it though my head that one is not allowed to "offend" anyone, no matter HOW MUCH they need it... he left in a huff, and I start asking for them to call an ambulance as I wanted out of here as quickly as possible.. was told that would not be possible as the have "responsibility" for me.. that's when I started using the F word and a lot of others I have picked up over the years.. the guy in the bed next to me, has got his hearing aids, and is laughing so hard he is crying from the pain.... they got me an ambulance and after all this they send me a questionnaire on my thought about the stay :lol::lol:

Well, it took me about 8 years but I finally got back up to where I can get around..

We had always planed to travel, but I just can't do airplanes, and I could buy a second house for what they want for the around the world trips on a ship..

I had been searching and searching, but could not find a single place in the wold that I wanted to go and live.. and then my Son said something.. how about where grandfather used to take you.. you said you always like it down there.. Well, that is what started me on this adventure..

First came in the car to the border, wanted to see how I could take the drive.. it was ok.. We were in a Honda CRV.. I was done in by the time we got back.. so, I bought a used full sized American car "used" never buy anything new.. (raised that way by and Okie who kept a spare everything in the back yard).. oh, we really liked having our friends over to our house growing up.. "if they don't like it, look the other way"

Well, I found this site from another CityData.com where a young Mexican fella was sticking up for Mexico and it's positives.. this guy made start thinking... then the rest of you folks here did the rest..

We came down in October of 2009 and have been renting since then.. I really like it down here.. as I did years ago.. my only problem.. I can't do what I used to do.. and that is the hard one.. I would so like to wet a line but can't cast anymore.. can't surf, can't walk on the beach, can't get out and just enjoy it .... but, I can see it, and all pictures you folks put up, help a lot... thank you all very much, plus food, conversations, and so much more.. again thank you

I don't know what we are going to do for sure, I happy just renting right now.. I don't have the worry of repairs and that.. owing a house, not big on my list anymore, and really it never was.. it was something you just "HAVE" to do in our world .. you can disagree with it.. but, if you're not into some type of real estate, it will bite you at some point.. just the way it is.. it seems.

My only real concern is what happens when you want to go back, if you do... want are the issues one would face.. I have friends that moved to Europe a long time ago, and gave up their U.S citizenship, they still don't have a problem with it.. the come and visit every once in a while.. from Denmark, France and Germany.. yea, I looked at those too... but lived there for three years and I don't like the "cold" and I also don't like the heat.. worked in El Centro too..

The weather in North Baja seems to be just right to me.. I don't have any problems with the people either, everyone has been so nice to me... and I really mean that

Ok, I've put mine up.. it will 6 months next month, and the lady is asking me to extend, as too are our great neighbors.. who turned us on to this house, (also from Baja Nomads Susan and Richard) thanks.. they let use their freezer when ours stopped.. to save my tamales and burritos.. now that is important stuff..

Hope this fits in with the theme as that is my intend.. I have not found another place that gives me what I can get down here in the Baja.. "Happy Trails"

and Cyanide41.. if I could have, back in 1963 I would have stayed then, but, I too was not rich.. and had to work my entire life to be able to come back down at 67.. but, it was worth the wait.. that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

It's all good..

ps, I should probably take this into word and clean it up.. but, think you get the drift.. to old to care about grammar and the rest.. I do use spell check, but, ...........:):)

[Edited on 2-1-2010 by wessongroup]

Bob and Susan - 2-1-2010 at 08:46 AM

i cant belive how many words i have to "look up":?:

for us simpletons...
gamelons = identical or fraternal twins

bajabass - 2-1-2010 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Quote:
Turns out her sister, who is single, wants to come with us. She thinks that she and her son will have a better life than they have now in Ensenada. If this happens, I think it will make the move easier for my wife and I, for she and her sister are very close, so it should at least lessen her homesickness, which is sure to be a factor.

Cheap housing is the reason I moved to Mexico, and family ties are why I picked Tijuana. My wife is from Tijuana and she raised two fine sons here by herself. Dad bailed out when they were babies. They're both bachelors in their early 30s, working full time in white collar jobs and share a condo, but she still cooks for them, cleans, and does other things to make their life easier. It would have been a mistake moving away from them, she would be very unhappy. Maybe in a few years we'll move out of the war zone and rent the house.
A major key in a successful move is the happiness of everyone involved. I have already decided La Paz would be the best place for my wife and her goals as a doctor. The presence of her sister and nephew will add to both her and her son's comfort level. Also, the last time I checked, there are plenty of fish, lots of sunshine, warm water, and plenty of Pacifico in La Paz!!!:biggrin: Call this Nomad 51!

k-rico - 2-1-2010 at 09:00 AM

wessongroup, tough luck! Sounds like you deserve a nice, fancy, hot jacuzzi on a deck overlooking he ocean!! Would that be good? I hope the pains fade way.

Bob H - 2-1-2010 at 09:20 AM

Wow, what a great thread.... and some very interesting stories!
Bob H

Barbareno - 2-1-2010 at 09:22 AM

It sure is a great thread. I have been going back and re reading even. I really appreciate the feed back.

I was hoping of having the best of both worlds but that doesn't seem to be an option at the present. So like Longlegs I will have to get off my fanny and do some major research. And what better place then here.

bajabass - 2-1-2010 at 09:40 AM

Hey Barbareno, how old are you? When did, or will you take the plunge?

Barbareno - 2-1-2010 at 09:44 AM

I am 52 bajabass. When....depends on when the house sells.

DENNIS - 2-1-2010 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Hey Barbareno, how old are you? When did, or will you take the plunge?

Yeah....How about some fotos and vital details. We don't allow in just anybody, ya know. :lol:

bajabass - 2-1-2010 at 09:48 AM

Good luck! I am trying to sell my business, and I am done here. Have you decided where you are going?

bajabass - 2-1-2010 at 09:50 AM

Hey Dennis, they let you and I in:lol:

DENNIS - 2-1-2010 at 09:54 AM

Quote:

I moved down on a holiday. :lol:

Just a reminder...today is the day they observe Constitution Day. SALUD

bajabass - 2-1-2010 at 10:04 AM

Salud Dennis, and all Nomads. Is this the day the constitution was signed? Need to know these things. Are the cervecarias closed?:(

DENNIS - 2-1-2010 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Salud Dennis, and all Nomads. Is this the day the constitution was signed? Need to know these things. Are the cervecarias closed?:(

It's not a 1A major holiday like Christmas so the stores are open. Smaller stores as well unless they elect to close. Beer stores are open. Schools are closed.
I don't know if the day honors anything they did with the Constitution....just that they have one. I understand that if they had a holiday for each time they made an ammendment, nobody would ever have to go to work again.

bajabass - 2-1-2010 at 10:24 AM

:lol::lol::tumble::biggrin:

wessongroup - 2-1-2010 at 01:52 PM

Hey what happened to the thread.. there WERE some folks putting up some great stories

Date

wessongroup - 2-1-2010 at 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

I moved down on a holiday. :lol:

Just a reminder...today is the day they observe Constitution Day. SALUD

What Constitution are we talking about, just googled it and for Mexico it's Feb 5 or is there another one?

The Political Constitution of the United Mexican States of 1917 is the present constitution of Mexico. It was drafted in Santiago de Querétaro by a Constitutional Convention during the Mexican Revolution. It was approved by the Constitutional Congress on February 5, 1917, with Venustiano Carranza serving as the first president under its terms.

Got that from Wiki.. with a search for: date signed constitution mexico.. :):)

comitan - 2-1-2010 at 08:11 PM

This year it is observed on Feb.1 (Monday)

DENNIS - 2-1-2010 at 08:21 PM

Holidays and Observances:
Jan 1 New Year's Day
Feb 1 'Constitution Day Memorial' day off
Feb 5 Constitution Day Memorial
Mar 15 'Benito Juárez's Birthday Memorial' day off
Mar 21 Benito Juárez's Birthday Memorial
Apr 1 Maundy Thursday
Apr 2 Good Friday
May 1 Labor Day / May Day
May 5 Cinco de Mayo
Sep 16 Independence Day
Oct 12 Columbus Day
Nov 2 All Souls' Day
Nov 20 Revolution Day Memorial
Nov 22 'Revolution Day Memorial' day off
Dec 12 Day of the Virgin of Guadalupe
Dec 25 Christmas Day

Timo1 - 2-2-2010 at 07:00 AM

a classic highjack for sure !!!

Barbareno - 2-2-2010 at 07:12 AM

Quote:
Good luck! I am trying to sell my business, and I am done here. Have you decided where you are going?

Yes, we would make our home in Bahia Asuncion. We could live in our motor home till we get established. It is the ideal location for us. Fishing on shore is the major glincher. People are fantastic.

Thanks again for all the responses.

wessongroup - 2-2-2010 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
a classic highjack for sure !!!

Thanks, just the way I saw it too.. And I went back to take a look..

Now perhaps others will share their stories with relevant and helpful details about a decision which, in many cases is very "concerning" to others in this process as it will apply to their own individual situation ...

I know from others posts on this subject, the information is well intended overall... as it should be.. as it will be used to help make an "informed decision" about a very significant move in one's life....

Moves of this type, should not be taken lightly and the more input from others who have made a transition from living in the United States to Baja can only be helpful when taken as a whole..

Good luck on your move.. I'm sure it will work out.. There are too many people here with a abundance of knowledge about SO many things.. I'm continually amazed at the knowledge which exist here and in many, many cases... a true can do sprit.. Coupled with a wiliness to share same.. Some real straight arrows.. One can differ on a lot of things.. But, if the bottom line is one of: kindness, thoughtfulness, sharing based on fundamental fairness to all.. Well, it will all be good..

A great bunch of folks.. Glad to have been lucky enough to get to know a few, and have gained from them knowledge and perspective too.. I'm sure you will too..

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...:):)

Wiley

flyfishinPam - 2-2-2010 at 07:48 AM

I was 34 when I came here for good.

DENNIS - 2-2-2010 at 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Thanks, just the way I saw it too.. And I went back to take a look..

I guess that's when you noticed you were right in the middle of it. :lol:

wessongroup - 2-2-2010 at 09:12 AM

And what would it be??:lol::lol:

oladulce - 2-3-2010 at 01:34 PM

I'm 52 and esposo is 49 3/4*. We have been living in BCS fulltime for 1 month now, but have been planning this and waking up everyday thinking about this for the past 20yrs when we bought our first Baja plot of land.

The #1 question people asked is: "what will you do all day?". To which we laugh because there aren't enough hours in the day to do everything.
(See, a whale just spouted as I'm looking out the window so it's taking me even longer to write this.) Not just the fun stuff but everyday life is time consuming in a remote location with solar power. Nobody picks up your trash, you haul it to the dump. It can take half the day to track down Cano, the man who drives the water truck to schedule a delivery. Then there's all the time you spend fixing broken things!

#2 most frequently asked question was: "don't you want to keep your so Cal house in case you want to come back?". That was easy- negatory! Even if this didn't work out for some reason, we wouldn't return there anyway.

The only thing that kept us up there so long was our jobs. Only a 401 K for me so I didn't officially "retire" with a pension. BigWooo can start collecting his pension on his 50th birthday so he was close to retiring.* It's a balance to stick it out at your job long enough to have financial security but retire early enough to be able to enjoy it. We would have loved to have done this sooner but didn't want to be 75 year olds down here selling driftwood windchimes to scrape together money to get our cataracts fixed.

Hang on- the whale is back and he's right off the beach...

Ok, I'm back. Anyway, we're in a different place than where the first Baja lot was. We changed locations about 18 yrs ago to be closer to waves. Surfing- that silly pastime that has guided our decisions, but will certainly not effect all the Baja stories you'll hear Barbareno.

When the day comes that we're too old to be able to surf, I don't know if we'll stay in this location. It's windy and dirty and rocky with a road that eats your tires and is not close to amenities such as stores and banks. But most likely we would move to a place a little warmer (ocean) year round.

Holy cow, now there's the whale, some dolphins and a seal was just body surfing a wave right out front. Gotta go...

[Edited on 2-3-2010 by oladulce]

Amen, oladulce

Gypsy Jan - 2-3-2010 at 01:53 PM

:yes:

Pompano - 2-3-2010 at 02:11 PM

I was 29 when I built my first home here in southern Baja.

But 'take the plunge?'....never.

I am only 66 now and not nearly old enough to make a final decision. Lots of world to see out there.

longlegsinlapaz - 2-3-2010 at 02:30 PM

Olsadulce, you're evil!:saint: All those front yard whale sightings!! I sure hope you're keeping your camera right next to the door closest to the water & making sure the batteries are always charged!! I wanna be seeing some proof of all these whale tales!

Dang!! How on earth will you be able to surf with all that traffic out there? Maybe look into setting up a surfer carpool lane?;)

Yours is the type of experiences Barbareno has been waiting to hear about!:bounce:

longlegsinlapaz - 2-3-2010 at 02:38 PM

Pompano, you're just a young whippersnapper at heart....you got plenty of time to figure out where or IF you want to light when you grow up! Something tells me it's unlikely that there will be a front porch & rocking chair in the picture!:spingrin:

bajabass - 2-3-2010 at 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Pompano, you're just a young whippersnapper at heart....you got plenty of time to figure out where or IF you want to light when you grow up! Something tells me it's unlikely that there will be a front porch & rocking chair in the picture!:spingrin:
I'm thinking Pacificos and fishing poles for both of us!:yes:

Barbareno - 2-4-2010 at 05:17 AM

Oladulce you brought a chuckle to me this morning about "what will you do all day". That has been something that I was wondering myself. Stupid ey? I had a hard enough time reading a book (which is a passion of mine) with all the excitement going on around me last time we went.

I am really starting to get pumped up. Put the worries away for awhile and think of the positives. You know you hear of people just recently retired who go snakey with so much time on their hands. Well there is enough things that I want to get back into so I shouldn't go too squirrly.

A good friend from Bahia Asuncion called us last night out of the blue. He must of gotten wind about our plans. He has offered me the use of his peddle kayak to try out. That will probably replace my belly boat (Float Tube) and I promised to take him with me to collect rocks for painting. There was dead air for awhile so I don't think he heard me.

ELINVESTIG8R - 2-4-2010 at 05:56 AM

Oladulce have you posted a picture of what you see from your place to the ocean. I would love to see it. It Sounds positively wonderful! Whales, Dolphins, Seals, Oh My!

BajaGringo - 2-4-2010 at 09:30 AM

Loved your post oladulce. We are in the same boat - Cristina and I often laugh over dinner how fast the day goes by.

And then we start making plans for tomorrow...

shari - 2-4-2010 at 09:48 AM

barbareno comes HIGHLY recommended on the "let in" list!!! She introduced us to paralysers in paradise!!! You guys will never have enough time on your hands...there is just so much to do...oops, gotta go, there is a whale family in our front yard going south....a dolphin pod looking for pulpo in our cove...some sealions trying to bust up a lobster trap...gotta clean the windows from all that darn salt spray...cook some crab...get some beer...see...busy busy busy....
cant wait to have you here to help me with all my chores!!!!

nlb333 - 2-4-2010 at 10:06 AM

Dustin and I met in Canada, he was preparing to sail around from California to Mexico or anywhere his heart (and his Dads Heart, as they had purchased the sailboat together) desired. Dustin thouroughly prepared me that he was not staying in Canada and that he would not be persuaded otherwise, I didn't try to persuade him, but we fell in love in a sort time anyhow. As Dustin was not putting his plans aside, he asked me if I wanted to join him. I said no the first few times he asked, because I felt weird about leaving family behind. Dustin asked me to marry him and I finally said yes, to both, marraige and the trip. Not 3 months into our trip to California, I found out that I was pregnant. So we figured it would be a good idea to finish the preparation on the boat and head south. Our first over night at sea (while I was pregnant) turned out Nicole+baby+rocking motion= unhappy Nicole and everyone else on the boat. We went back to the Marina in CHula Vista and Dustins dad began searching for houses we could buy anywhere in Mexico. The first place we came across was in San Bruno, the next day, after a couple of phone calls, we were on the road. We looked at the house and property and agreed on a price. Dustin was 35 I was 29, Xander was born In sept 2008 at the Santa Rosalia Hospital.
Neither of us has a 'back up' house to go back to. this is our home, and at time we both curse the day we decided on moving here, but most of the time we are quite pleased with it.
P.S. the days we curse Baja, are the days when the water doesn't work or the electricity is off for an extended period of time, nothing huge, just petty stuff

bajabass - 2-5-2010 at 10:00 AM

Great story nlb333! I love the San Bruno area.

Barbareno - 2-6-2010 at 05:04 AM

I have loved reading your stories everyone. And I come back to it often. So it looks like 52 ain't so young after all.

I am getting so excited about the whole thing. Now its time to hunker down and put everything in motion. We have had someone come by the house here and tell us what to do for a quick and profitable sale. Lipstick mainly.

As I sit here I think....hmmm maybe one day someone else will ask the question that I have presented and I can tell them our story. Return the favor.

Cypress - 2-6-2010 at 05:36 AM

Was 59 when I chose Baja, 59'n1/2 when I decided to keep on looking. Hawaii?;)

Timo1 - 2-6-2010 at 10:13 AM

Whats the cure for constant Baja daydreaming
Its getting harder to think straight
I need HELPPPPPPP

El Jefe - 2-6-2010 at 04:03 PM

We've been retired down here full time on the east cape for almost five years and still loving it. We rented out our house in San Diego County, and that works out OK. We were 50 and 52 years old when we made the move. It's a big step with many potential pitfalls, but well worth the considerable effort that it takes.
The biggest downside to living here full time for us is that we are 1,000 plus miles away from out three kids and four grandsons. They don't get down to visit as much as we would like (or had fantasized) because they have their busy lives to live.
This year we plan to buy a motorhome and store it in San Diego so we can fly up and hang in the coastal camp grounds while visiting the kids. Maybe get a little more time up there being grandpa and grandma.
It has been a great adventure. Hell, we have an off road race coming by the neighborhood tomorrow. Should be a kick.

longlegsinlapaz - 2-6-2010 at 04:32 PM

Quote:
Whats the cure for constant Baja daydreaming
Its getting harder to think straight
I need HELPPPPPPP

JUST DO IT.....M O V E ! ! ! :bounce::bounce: Instant cure!:yes:

redmesa - 2-6-2010 at 09:16 PM

Ok, I will put in my 2 pesos. B and T I love you guys. Everyone who has posted has a different reason and a different location. For what I now know about B.A. after the time we have been here is: kind wonderful people even the gringos, very simple life with no nightlife, living in a place is not the same as being a tourist, you have to work to stay involved and be able to accept it all. (hook, line and SINKER), if you had trouble living in a small town be fore-warned this IS a small town even if unique and foreign, there is no shopping and you will miss many things like ice cream or natural yogurt, the terrible road make this an island, no mail , no library or bookstore and although it is a full life it is a simple and limited life.
For me, I just want my options open even though I love B.A. there are many wonderful places in the world and Baja is one of them. I feel lucky every day when I look out to the sea but sometimes I think what maintains the love and awe is that I will not always be looking at it. It is a lovely temporal gift that I cherish and will as long as I can return to it just as I return to may other loves. I leave so that I that I can return again.

Barbareno - 2-7-2010 at 07:38 AM

Redmesa we love you guys to and value your honest opinions. We know it won't always be a bed of rose's. There will be hurdles to jump. Doubts that we will have to overcome.

What do you mean No Library????:o

What I have been doing here for the last 30 plus years is working, sleeping and eating. The odd weekend getting out and relaxing by some pond. I want more of those odd weekends.

I don't believe that we are having any higher then normal expectations. Tim and I have each other and .........well we lean on each other and have alot of comfort in our simple lifestyle.

I don't want to get all mushy. :) We are going to be okay. So make some room for us.

Barb

shari - 2-7-2010 at 07:57 AM

there may be no big public library but the campground library is pretty extensive and ecclectic. I always have a stack of books still to be read these days as everyone leaves lots of reading material behind.

Barb's gonna become a world famous author...writing novellas about over the hill women coming to mexico and finding bliss, rejuvinating via hot latin lovers....while timo is out catching yellowtail every day...you'll see!

flyfishinPam - 2-7-2010 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
there may be no big public library but the campground library is pretty extensive and ecclectic. I always have a stack of books still to be read these days as everyone leaves lots of reading material behind.

Barb's gonna become a world famous author...writing novellas about over the hill women coming to mexico and finding bliss, rejuvinating via hot latin lovers....while timo is out catching yellowtail every day...you'll see!

title on Barb's book and is it available on kindle?

redmesa - 2-7-2010 at 05:57 PM

Always room for you guys. I, in a very selfish way, am thrilled that you are coming down. I have really missed you this stay. Anything I can do to make you transition better let me know.
I just really do miss libraries....they are part of soul just like a church but Shari and others have many good books to share.
Maybe we will see you in the summer.

Barbareno - 2-8-2010 at 06:51 AM

No Pam...I am not a writter by any stretch of the imagination. I know Shari has books scattered all over the place and will get a kick out of reading them.

Thanks Redmesa, its so reassuring to know that we have so much support.

DianaT - 2-9-2010 at 02:13 PM

Barb,
I did not respond before since we do not live here in BA fulltime and probably never will. Look forward to you being here.

1. Books, we have so many books that we are beginning to take some back to the used bookstore in San Diego where we buy a lot of books. A neighbor asked to ¨borrow¨a book the other day and said yes, only if he promises NOT to return it.

2. Your property is located across the road from one of the very nicest families in Bahia Asuncion--I know you will enjoy them. At their brother´s home where a new restuarant is in the works, they hosted a super bowl party for a few of us ex pats and a few local families.

3. Entertainment? Well some mornings are just wonderful entertainment with just watching the light change on San Roque Island and or finding strange bugs like the wasp we discovered not so long ago.

4. The road to Vizcaino right now is worse than awful, so we tend not to go out of here as often---hopefully that will change.

5. We have made many local friends as I am sure you and Tim will. We have discovered a couple of wonderful artists, cake makers, etc. Always something new.

With some others, we have thought about a few business ventures that would keep us here, and that may happen, but I doubt we will ever give up our stake in the US for several reasons including our health insurance.

Our son right now has been almost two weeks over at Bahia de Conception camping and it is a better place for hours out on the kayak, but he also used the kayak here.

Also, before we even introduced him, one of the adult members of the bike team saw him on his bike, stopped work and led him on the trail. He has been invited out to observe lobster fishing and to join some surfers at Punta Choros. That is the type of town this is -- the locals want you to have a good time and feel welcome.

It is changing and has changed A LOT since we first arrived here --- good and well, some we see as not so good, but that is true everywhere.

Oh, during the windy months, there are several places to visit and explore---lots to do. Heck, we even enjoy driving to the dump.

In a U2U a while back, I did warn Tim about one dog problem near your property just so you keep an eye on Otis.

It sounds like you are ready, so I hope your home sells soon.

See you in BA

Diane

[Edited on 2-9-2010 by DianaT]

moving to La Paz

C-Urchin - 2-10-2010 at 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
It's a balance to stick it out at your job long enough to have financial security but retire early enough to be able to enjoy it. We would have loved to have done this sooner but didn't want to be 75 year old down here selling driftwood wind chimes to scrape together money to get our cataracts fixed.

Edited on 2-3-2010 by oladulce]

Been looking at properties for 4 years to start a B & B. The same listings have been up for years. There is something about the real estate business down here...

I have a good business back in LA, tired of traffic, traffic, stressed out clients, traffic and more traffic. Want to take the plunge, not sure quite how. Some good advice was offered: Do whatever you fancy but "have an exit plan".

I have met a lot of destitute "Gringos" with no "exit plan" and of course the sopilotes circling around.

48. No social security.

All pertinent advice welcomed.:yes:

wessongroup - 2-10-2010 at 06:28 AM

C-Urchin.. You have a tough row to hoe.. But, with your approach you may be able to find a way.. I'm sure you will.. if you are running a business in the United States... you are capable of just about anything, in my book..

Just love it when folks talk about the traffic, not a sadist, it just brings back memories.. someone mentioned the 580 in California.. it just brings back memories.. the 99, 395 and others.. as you I spent a lot of my life in automotive vehicle and/or planes .... stressed out clients.. and more traffic and stressed out clients

Good luck.. I was not able to "pull the plug" in my 40's..50's and only stopped work due to a physical disability in my early 60's

Oladulce is pretty much on target for most folks... or they wouldn't even be asking and/or talking about the subject... as funding is required!! to do anything... there are certain exception to this rule.. of course, but they don't apply to an ugly old man.. who is messed up..:lol:

Barbareno - 2-10-2010 at 08:01 AM

Diane, so that dog is still around ey? Too bad. Ottis has never been in any kind of a fight, very submissive. If he is not crying uncle with all four's in the air he is skirting around and running away from an agressive dog. He just doesn't get it why others can't love him as much as he loves them. He can be such a weinie.

We do intend to build a wall up on all sides of the casa. In time. Looking forward to being part of the hood.

moving to La Paz

C-Urchin - 2-11-2010 at 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
C-Urchin.. You have a tough row to hoe.. But, with your approach you may be able to find a way.. I'm sure you will.. if you are running a business in the United States... you are capable of just about anything, in my book..

Just love it when folks talk about the traffic, not a sadist, it just brings back memories.. someone mentioned the 580 in California.. it just brings back memories.. the 99, 395 and others.. as you I spent a lot of my life in automotive vehicle and/or planes .... stressed out clients.. and more traffic and stressed out clients

Good luck.. I was not able to "pull the plug" in my 40's..50's and only stopped work due to a physical disability in my early 60's

Oladulce is pretty much on target for most folks... or they wouldn't even be asking and/or talking about the subject... as funding is required!! to do anything... there are certain exception to this rule.. of course, but they don't apply to an ugly old man.. who is messed up..:lol:

I enjoy reading you and appreciate the advice!

irenemm - 2-11-2010 at 12:57 AM

I was 29. We agreed to come and try it for 1 year. Run this business and see we we liked it. Did not speak spanish and lived here without my husband for 3 months. Did not know anyone. no phone, no tv and pretty much not to many groceries. My kids were 3,5,and 7. Took them to school and the nuns asked for something everyday.; I did not understand what she wanted and kept telling her my husband who is Mexican would be here in 2 weeks. Like most Mexican he was late. After the 1st year was up we then agreed to stay another 10 years and then go back. Well it will be 29 years now. We have nothing in the States no home this is it.
It has been a great trip. Have meant many people from all over the world really few jerks in all the years. I was welcomed by the local people with open arms and still em. I would drive inthe states to work 50 miles each way. For the last 29 years I have had to walk at least 100 feet to work. Each way. It was a little hard at first. No friends No family. Now I have great freinds and many feel like family to me. Part of our grandchildren are being raise here it is a good thing . The rest live in the United States. @ of our kids live here. Of course all speak both english and spanish now.
The only thing I miss is the old days when the baja and our town had less people. It was pretty nice then.
good luck to the new ones coming to baja You will love it.

duke62 - 2-11-2010 at 01:31 AM

Hmmm, to get this back on topic. I knew in my late twenties to thirties, when I was camping on my friend's lot in Baja, this would be where I would end up. Reading and re-reading my dad's Baja travel books (Cliff Cross), which he made me read as the "Navigator," on our own travels when I was young, and which I loved, unlike my other brothers, made me realize: I was a Baja Nomad from birth.

wessongroup - 2-13-2010 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by duke62
Hmmm, to get this back on topic. I knew in my late twenties to thirties, when I was camping on my friend's lot in Baja, this would be where I would end up. Reading and re-reading my dad's Baja travel books (Cliff Cross), which he made me read as the "Navigator," on our own travels when I was young, and which I loved, unlike my other brothers, made me realize: I was a Baja Nomad from birth.

well, sure glad you got it back on topic