BajaNomad

MISION SANTA MARIA MAY 29, 2010, LET'S DO IT AGAIN!

Pages:  1  2  

Bob H - 5-27-2010 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by classicbajabronco
have a great trip and take lots of photos...Especially of carnage...Everyone loves carnage

Oh, I just know there will be tons of photos.... can't wait for this trip report.

Hope everyone on this voyage has a great time and that they have no problems... that Widowmaker looks rough man, and there has been a lot of rain, etc. since the last trip. Bob H

[Edited on 5-28-2010 by Bob H]

David K - 5-27-2010 at 10:39 PM

You can be sure of that amigos... lots of photos!

I just loaded the Tacoma... and ready to crash for the night...

Today, I was in San Diego and stopped by Discover Baja to renew my annual auto insurance and Carol told me that Neal Johns and his secret guest was just there earlier today on their way to meet us for the Santa Maria run.

I also got a call from HB Murphy of Tacoma World and he will caravan to El Rosario with us tomorrow. They along with CG and us will be staying at Baja Cactus... not sure about BajaCat... Looking forward to dinner at one of El Rosario's great eats... Most likely Ed's place (Baja's Best Cafe), but the remodeled and improved Mama Espinoza's may get us... or Primo's La Bocana Beach Restaurant or maybe Hugo's Taco's Mision...???

Anyway, it should be beautiful driving... I hear the flowers are all a-blooming.

You guys be good... don't drive over any turtle eggs... :light::yes:

See you back here maybe Tuesday! :cool::spingrin:

[Edited on 5-28-2010 by David K]

BAJACAT - 5-28-2010 at 05:17 PM

Sorry gang, but I don't know what the deal is with this trip, every time I planned on doing it something happens, Last Presidents day was cancel due to a storm, that never made it to Catavina, yesterday i took my truck to get service to get it ready for the trip and i was told that I have a crack upper control arm on the driver side, if you guys remember my last trip to Baja I broke a lower shock mount bolt, i never saw the crack, when i replaced the bolt.I was hoping that i can get the part today, it's really easy to change, but i was told it wound'nt be here untill Monday.It seems like the destiny doesn't want me to do a trip with you DK,:lol::lol:.Just kidding, have fun guys can wait for your trip report, whats up with all the full size trucks on this trip, i guess the planets need to be aligned for this trip to happen on my side...maybe next time..I f somebody can relay my meessaage to DK in case he doesn't see it i will thank you for that. Have fun and be Safe, o man im going to be misserable for the next 3 days, i guess The Santa maria mission trip will remaind in my to do list for a while...

PS. THE BROKEN UPPER CONTROL ARM IT'S GOING TO SET ME BACK $220 PLUS THE $28 FOR THE SHOCK BOLT THAT I BOUGHT BEFORE, AFTER SO MANY BAJA TRIPS ALL THAT WASHBOARD BACKROADS ARE TAKING THEIR TOLL IN MY TRUCK COMPONENTS:fire::fire::fire::fire:

Ken Cooke - 5-28-2010 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACATup with all the full size trucks on this trip, i guess the planets need to be aligned for this trip to happen on my side...maybe next time

What about the April '11 Baja Grande run???:bounce:

You in, Jose??:?:

I had to work today, and my wife won't have her Tarjeta Verde for another 3 weeks...

TMW - 5-28-2010 at 07:34 PM

Bajacat maybe you and I will have to go do it together later.

DK if you see this I'm stuck here for the weekend. They did not get the antenna work done so we are going back up tomorrow to finish it. So I won't be down on Sunday, sorry.

Message relayed...

BajaCactus - 5-28-2010 at 10:08 PM

Some of the "Widowmaker victims" have arrived at BajaCactus... all very happy, anxious and excited to take on tomorrow's adventure.

BajaCat and TW... I have relayed your message to DavidK... hope you can make it another time.

Enjoy Baja my friends!!!

BajaCactus

[Edited on 5-29-2010 by BajaCactus]

TMW - 5-30-2010 at 08:53 AM

Thanks Antonio. I look forward to seeing you in the near future.

surfer jim - 5-30-2010 at 09:47 AM

Any "breaking news" to share.....?

woody with a view - 5-30-2010 at 01:13 PM

or, any "breaking" news?

classicbajabronco - 5-30-2010 at 02:23 PM

Snap, pop, clunk...what was that noise honey? Been there a few times...But it was not nearly as bad a getting a 2wd dodge diesel stuck in the GN sand flats and while attempting to dig out the truck for the uptenth time....a pinchy sentipede crambled up my shorts and bit me in the ouchsack....I now hate GN....:fire::fire:

TMW - 5-31-2010 at 08:56 AM

NASA said the satellite pictures show all the Toyotas stuck in the water crossing blocking the others from moving. Boy is DK going to pay for that.

Oops an update. Spy satellite showed a Dodge and a GMC truck getting to the stranded Toyotas and freeing them for the trip home.

classicbajabronco - 5-31-2010 at 10:06 AM

Nasa didn't say anything about fords....they either made it through already. Or blew up into a million pieces. I am talking about new fords by the way!! not 44y/o vehicles

Problems...

BajaCactus - 5-31-2010 at 12:10 PM

DavidK and a few others from the group were schedule to return to BajaCactus yesterday afternoon (Sunday), but they never arrived.

We received reports they had some mechanical damage to one of their vehicles... so far they have not made it back yet (Monday, May 31st, 12:00pm)... or at least we have not heard back from them.

DavidK should have all the details when they return.

Baja is always an adventure!!!

BajaCactus

[Edited on 5-31-2010 by BajaCactus]

DianaT - 5-31-2010 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus
DavidK and a few others from the group were schedule to return to BajaCactus yesterday afternoon (Sunday), but they never arrived.

We received reports they had some mechanical damage to one of their vehicles... so far they have not made it back yet (Monday, May 31st, 12:00pm)... or at least we have not heard back from them.

DavidK should have all the details when they come back.

Baja is always an adventure!!!

BajaCactus

I do hope that it is mechanical damage and there are no problems with any of the people.

TMW - 5-31-2010 at 01:05 PM

I also hope everyone is OK and the damage was minimal.

BajaCactus - 5-31-2010 at 01:34 PM

DavidK just stopped by BajaCactus (Monday, 1:00pm)... he informed us that everyone is ok... they only had some problems with Neal's vehicle, who is still stuck 8 miles off Cataviña.

Apparently the tie rod end terminals need to be replaced... our staff have already began to help them locate the parts at the local auto parts stores.

If everything goes well, they should be out of there soon.

I am sure they will give us all the details when they return home.

BajaCactus

[Edited on 5-31-2010 by BajaCactus]

surfer jim - 5-31-2010 at 04:26 PM

Chevy trucks are standing by to help if needed.....:biggrin:.

DianaT - 5-31-2010 at 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Chevy trucks are standing by to help if needed.....:biggrin:.

Oh no, he does drive a Toyota, right? :o:o Send in those Chevy's, Jeep's, Fords and Dodges. Quick!

Seriously, I hope they are well supplied and rescued quickly.

surfer jim - 5-31-2010 at 05:33 PM

Just in case anyone needs it.....I will be coming down to COLONET Wednesday mid afternoon. Can bring tools , parts or whatever is needed. :smug:

fishabductor - 5-31-2010 at 08:11 PM

This is a one of those times where a Porta-power onboard welder comes in handy.

Best of luck getting out, what make of Vehicle was it? A toyota...it wasn't a new one was it, those damn engineers never get anything right!

If it was a Tie rod that came apart..I have done offroad repairs by using a]the ever-present B.F.hammer and a rock to knock the tie rod back together, and then used a large hose clamp or bailing wire to help keep them together, and then drive extremely slow picking the best line for the weak tierod....hope this helps....

You did bring the BFH didn't you?

[Edited on 6-1-2010 by fishabductor]

BajaCactus - 5-31-2010 at 08:55 PM

Our staff at BajaCactus helped getting the parts needed in San Quintin... they were delivered a couple of hours ago to CG, who is staying at our Motel tonight (Monday 31st).

He plans to take them to Neal tomorrow morning as early as possible... Neal has everything he needs in his vehicle to enjoy a nice moon out in the desert... I kind on envy him.

I hope everything goes well tomorrow with the repairs.

BajaCactus

[Edited on 6-5-2010 by BajaCactus]

Barry A. - 5-31-2010 at 09:05 PM

This all rings a bell (deja vue??)--------Neil, Mexico, and front end problems. I do hope all goes well, and look forward to the tale of grief we all know is coming, and the humor of Neal..

Thanks for keeping us informed, Antonio.

Viva Neal Johns!!!!

Barry

CG to the rescue!!

Ken Cooke - 5-31-2010 at 09:14 PM

Quote:
Our staff at BajaCactus helped getting the parts needed in San Quintin... they were delivered a couple of hours ago to CG, who is staying at our Motel tonight (Monday 31st).

Neil is in very good hands. I feel bad for Neil having to go through this. Independent Front Suspensions are prone to this type of failure - Toyota's are no exception.

When I bought my Rubicon in 2003, I purchased it for the reason that I want(ed) to see all that Baja can provide without the worry of vehicle failure. I do respect the capability of the Toyota Tacoma, but for the same amount of money, I would purchase a JK Unlimited Rubicon - a damn capable Baja vehicle without the quirks associated with IFS - Inferior Front Suspensions.

classicbajabronco - 5-31-2010 at 10:22 PM

Make that toyota a wheelin' machine....get a torch, cut off the IFS and swap in a solid axle from a pre-85 toyota, that with a set of Chevy leafs up front...(see ALLPRO offroad for conversion kits), add a locker, ...and it'd be baja Heep eater on the steep stuff with the long wheelbase, it'd also be able to carry more cargo than a Heep. And it'd be better on gas, as well as have a better ride.

Modified Toyota's go anywhere a modified Heeps will, even more when it gets steep, as the Heep will flip on it's lid whereas the Toy with the longer wheelbase won't..but then again you wouldn't be in a Cult!!

Ken Cooke - 5-31-2010 at 10:26 PM

Quote:
Make that toyota a wheelin' machine....get a torch, cut off the IFS and swap in a solid axle from a pre-85 toyota, that with a set of Chevy leafs up front...(see ALLPRO offroad for conversion kits), add a locker, ...and it'd be baja Heep eater on the steep stuff with the long wheelbase, it'd also be able to carry more cargo than a Heep. And it'd be better on gas, as well as have a better ride.

Modified Toyota's go anywhere a modified Heeps will, even more when it gets steep, as the Heep will flip on it's lid whereas the Toy with the longer wheelbase won't..but then again you wouldn't be in a Cult!!

My previous Heep was a Ford. I bought the Jeep, starting hosting runs in Baja, and I was approached by Jeepers Jamboree to sell my runs, and lead them as an employee. That was before the Narco violence began...:(

Fords make great Baja 'wheeling machines

Ken Cooke - 5-31-2010 at 10:42 PM

CG build one big bad Explorer...

CG on the Baja Pole Line Road

The problem with CGs Explorer was the I.F.S. could not hold up to the 35" Creepy Crawler tires. So, one build-up later, CG was literally unstoppable.

CG on the rocks in Tecate

Here's a nice closeup of the Explorer

classicbajabronco - 5-31-2010 at 10:54 PM

What was the axle that CG swapped in?

Damn just look at all those dangling wires...Another good thing about old rigs. There is a shortage of unnecessary items.

I guess that exploder was built a few years ago, when rollers were the big thing. I notice there is one welded to the rear bumper. Only problem is it really hurts your departure angle with it being installed, as it hands down about 5"

you don't see that many rollers these days.

That front end looks very nice and sturdy...nice work. Is that just a steering Stabilizer or a hydraulic setup?

[Edited on 6-1-2010 by classicbajabronco]

Ken Cooke - 6-1-2010 at 06:51 AM

Quote:
What was the axle that CG swapped in?

That front end looks very nice and sturdy...nice work. Is that just a steering Stabilizer or a hydraulic setup?

D44 w/Chrome Moly axles

There is a hydraulic ram assist, bump stops, all the good stuff. It was built by Willy's Off Road, Playas de Tijuana. This rig received a 3rd and final buildup before being parted out, and sold. Some of the parts made it to CGs YJ Rockcrawler before being sold entirely. CG will probably show you pictures of his new project that he ran on Mission Impossible when he makes it back from helping my friend Neil.

surfer jim - 6-1-2010 at 08:57 AM

No news from the Mission trip yet....?

capt. mike - 6-1-2010 at 08:58 AM

what happened? some one broke down?
no sat phone with them?

Barry A. - 6-1-2010 at 09:23 AM

Neal Johns Toyota broke down with front tie-rod problems about 8 miles from Catavina----------lots of folks working on it tho, so no real emergency--------

we are all waiting for this mornings report-------

Barry

hbmurphy - 6-1-2010 at 12:04 PM

He will also be needing a third member...

The tie rod popping was just a matter of being tugged out of the canyon. We had already adjusted the tie rod ends quite a bit just to get rid of a nasty toe out condition from the tugging.

The reason he was being tugged was because he toasted a ring an pinion on his way out. He disconnected the drive shaft in an attempt to get a front-wheel drive truck - but he still has that nasty clunk when he hits that part of the ring.

IIRC he has an 03 off road. I don't know if it is a locker or an 8.4.

I wish him the best! He is a great guy!

classicbajabronco - 6-1-2010 at 12:35 PM

great time for an SAS (solid axle swap) your truck will be much better offroad!!

Con mucho suerte amigo!

classicbajabronco - 6-1-2010 at 12:37 PM

Ken,

That front axle running Radius arms, what was it swapped out of a Bronco perhaps?

Repairs...

BajaCactus - 6-1-2010 at 02:34 PM

CG left from BajaCactus this morning (Tuesday) with all the parts needed to fix Neal's vehicle. He estimated at least a day to make all the necessary repairs... if they succeed, they should be back tomorrow Wednesday.

Regarding food and supplies Neal said not to worry... he has enough to last a couple of weeks... he is a wise man, prepared for anything.

Our staff at BajaCactus is on standby, ready to help should they require any assistance.

BajaCactus

KurtG - 6-1-2010 at 03:30 PM

Chris (CG) with me as a passenger left the mission in the lead with Neal following. The rest of the gang were an hour or so behind us since they had gone to look at petroglyphs. Between the mission and the bog there is a short but steep uphill which we cleared but soon heard Neal on the CB reporting a driveline failure of some sort. We went back to him and found that his rear differential (locker) was making a very ugly noise and partially hanging up every revolution or two. The rear drive shaft was removed and the truck put in 4wd/low range to become front wheel drive only. After making sure that the rear wheel wasn't coming off, a tow strap was hooked from CG's Dakota to Neal's truck and we towed and winched through the bog and uphill to an area where everyone could gather and there was room to get off the trail. At that point the plan was to attempt to tow Neal out to Cataviña.

I caught a ride out from that point with Steve and his wife in their 4-Runner as did Bajabucko. I had been feeling quite ill from Sat evening and was worse on Sunday and I found out this morning that I have an upper respiratory infection. Since I was feeling bad and as a passenger had brought in very limited food and water I was not going to be able to make a positive contribution to the recovery effort. At that point there were 4 remaining vehicles besides Neal. David K, Art, CG, and Paul all pretty well equiped. When I left the group Neal's truck didn't have any front suspension problem but in towing him over the uphill rough rocky sections there was a tremendous amount of strain and impact on his truck and this was with the Widowmaker and other tough spots yet to come.

I'm hoping that besides getting front end parts that they were able to diagnose the diff problem and bring parts to replace it so Neal can drive out. I figured that towing and winching would be a two day project.

This was a good group of people, I enjoyed meeting everyone. It is a spectacular place and one I would like to return to and spend a few days.

Like everyone else here I am anxious to hear what happened after I left the group. CG made it clear that he would make a parts run and do whatever was needed to get Neal going again and David K expressed the same. CG is a very skilled off-roader and his Dakota is well set up and performed very nicely. Art's Monster Motor Home was a fantastic performer and an amazing piece of machinery and Art is a very determined and capable driver. I'm sure that David will do a complete post with pics of that motor home doing amazing things. At the other end of the spectrum was Steve's stock 4-Runner with no locking differential and regular tires that made the trip in and out with no problem. He said it was "just luck" but he is a skilled driver and did a superb job.

Even with getting ill and all I'm glad I made the trip. The road is as tough as described and the scenery outstanding.
Kurt

Barry A. - 6-1-2010 at 04:16 PM

Thank you very much, Kurt----------and the "widowmaker" still lies ahead for Neil--------Oh boy!!!!! that will be a huge pucker factor ride. That locker blowing up is sure food for thought----------tough road, for sure.

Barry

David K - 6-1-2010 at 04:32 PM

Hi Gang... some news was already posted, but this is what I know right now (~4pm TUE)...

First off: Neal was totally okay and insisted on staying with his camper. I called Marian (Mrs. Neal J.) this morning (we got in just before midnight last night, MON)... and she is fine with the news and got the messages from people I called from El Rosario.

Neal's SAT. PHONE worked this (TUE) morning and he talked to Marian and he was fine and she told Neal that CG was on his way with the tie rod ends... Neal's SAT phone didn't work when we were with him Monday morning before driving out (note: avoid Globalstar and get Iridium instead)... Glad to hear he got through to Marian 24 hours later.

Baja Cactus (Antonio) was awesome as ever, and provided an employee to go with CG to find the parts for Neal's truck... and is providing rooms for Neal and CG when they return to freshen up and rest before either of them drive home. BAJA NOMAD members rock!

NEW MEMBER 'hbmurphy' (Paul) rocks BIG TIME... I 'met' him over on the Tacoma World Forums and his skills and off road rock crawling and mechanic know-how really made it possible for us to get in and out from the mission.

The other big gold star goes to edm-1 (Art) who's mechanic skillls and driving skills to bring his motorhome in there were amazing. He pulled Neal's camper much of the way out from MSM.

CG (Chris) earns his gold star for being the hero to rescue Neal, as well as towing him and winching him out...

In fact, so many helped to make it be an epic trip, it is hard to not give everyone a mention. Steve and Suly 'bajatripper' were a joy to meet and helped get KurtG and Baja Bucko out (they were both passengers in other vehicles, that couldn't leave, but needed to get out). Steve is the son of our well known 'Bajalera' (Lee) and was someone I hope to camp with again. His wife Suly doesn't speak English, but was a wonderful, happy lady who was a good camper with all the English speakers there.

Baja Bucko sang us a Baja rancher song written by Deborah Johnson... hbmurphy recorded it.

I am getting off track, sorry... so much happened!

Everyone on the trip were all smiles and with good attitude, throughout.

The problems were with Neal's Tacoma ('03 manual tranny)... His popup camper is very heavy, and I am sure if he knew the road was as bad as it was, he wouldn't have attempted it. As stated the rear diff broke, he removed the drive shaft to reduce additional damage and used 4WD to have a front wheel drive only truck.

The weight of the camper required someone to tow or winch Neal up the Widowmaker and the even more difficult grades above. The tie road ends were damaged, and repaired by Paul... but about 1 am coming down from the peninsular divide towards Rancho Santa Ynez a big rock smashed the tie rod end and that was the end of the towing.

A few hours of sleep, and then we continued Monday morning... CG stayed in El Rosario to get the parts (with help from Antonio and his staff) and calls were made to Marian's phone and others who could reach Marian, as I only got her Voice mail.

Today I talked by phone to Marian, Antonio, and Paul and I think the best decisions were made, and I look forward to hearing when CG and Neal Johns arrive at Baja Cactus.

As for the trip report... stay tuned... outside of the breakdown, it was an epic adveture and we have new personal friends that have the Baja spirit and off roader's attitude!

[Edited on 6-2-2010 by David K]

Barry A. - 6-1-2010 at 05:10 PM

Whew!!!!!! that is great news, David. Sounds like they are almost free.

Thank you so much.

Barry

David K - 6-1-2010 at 05:12 PM

Over 200 photos I am downloading at high resolution... but until then here is a low res. image of edm-1 taking his motorhome down the Widowmaker!

510msm 084-r.JPG - 48kB

BajaCactus - 6-1-2010 at 05:18 PM

Small video uploaded to youtube by "hbmurphy" gives us an idea of their adventure...

Teaser...

Thanks Paul!!.

BajaCactus

[Edited on 6-2-2010 by BajaCactus]

David K - 6-1-2010 at 05:29 PM

Yes, the bog was deep...

CG's Dakota...

510msm 212-r.JPG - 48kB

edm1 - 6-1-2010 at 05:44 PM

I know without a doubt Neal will get the situation under control. The steering parts and towing/winching by CG are just the first options. If they don't work, there are other options discussed, one of which is to bring a mechanic to determine the exact parts needed for the broken differential. Then on another turn-around the mechanic and CG could go get those parts and perform the repairs on site. This really is the ultimate option as it will give Neal full control of getting out of the trail - he was the object of my first amazement how he was able to get that camper through the trail, including the Widowmaker, going into the Mision. He is a very capable driver given the functioning equipment. So if the differential and steering are fixed on site, he could get out of there on his own, as there are a few more tough challenges in those 8 miles that towing/winching may not be effective. However, our biggest concern was to get him to pavement if possible.

Anyway, Maria/Maya (my 21-yr old this June 4 daughter who's part of the adventure), just got back home at 5PM, we had to sleep right at the border - border crossing at Tecate closed its door on a few hundred of us who were already lined up. Good that I brought "home" with me :-) It reopened at 5AM and we were within the first 50 to cross.

I stopped over at the Home Depot parking lot in El Centro and took a coulple of hours to assess the damages and do some preventive field repairs/adjustments before proceeding home; damages are mostly lower extremeties, nothing major!

KurtG - 6-1-2010 at 05:55 PM

You have to see Art's rig in action to believe what it can do! It was agreed around the campfire that Art gets the "Brass Balls Award" for this trip. Also must agree with David that this was a very good group of capable people.

David and Elizabeth zoomed directly to the top of my Good Guys List by bringing me glasses of ice cold orange juice when I was feeling poorly. I'm not sure anything has ever tasted so good.

David K - 6-1-2010 at 06:10 PM

Good to hear from you Art... We were at the Tecate border line from 8:20 pm to 9:50 (1.5 hour wait). Sorry you got trapped at the 11:00 pm shut down. Good (as you say) that you had your home with you! Great to travel with you and the rest of the Nomads!

David K - 6-1-2010 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
You have to see Art's rig in action to believe what it can do! It was agreed around the campfire that Art gets the "Brass Balls Award" for this trip. Also must agree with David that this was a very good group of capable people.

David and Elizabeth zoomed directly to the top of my Good Guys List by bringing me glasses of ice cold orange juice when I was feeling poorly. I'm not sure anything has ever tasted so good.

Wish we could have done more to helpyou feel better... but happy to do anything for our friends!

Was bajatripper's 4Runner okay mechanically and traction-wise going out? Without a rear locker or taction control, it can be a challange!

surfer jim - 6-1-2010 at 06:33 PM

So will NEAL be able to drive it home with just front wheel drive after the tie rod end(s) are replaced?

That has to be a LONG tow strap in that video.:o

hbmurphy - 6-1-2010 at 06:48 PM

Antonio!

You my friend, are a great man! You place is awesome and your help is WAY above par! Are you attempting to convert me to a Baja Nomad!? It's working!

Thanks!

:spingrin:

David K - 6-1-2010 at 06:54 PM

Paul... see the kind of activities Antonio does for his Nomad friends... Chris (CG)and Neal were also there: http://vivabaja.com/vivabajacactus

David K - 6-1-2010 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
So will NEAL be able to drive it home with just front wheel drive after the tie rod end(s) are replaced?

That has to be a LONG tow strap in that video.:o

I think that will be figured out... a flatbed trailer was also discussed...

The rear diff. needs to be rebuilt at some point as I am not sure if he can drive the nearly 400 miles home with just front wheel drive.

Bob H - 6-1-2010 at 07:09 PM

Wow.... that is a LONG tow strap. So glad that Neal is making his way out of there with so much help along the way.

We are looking forward to more photos and stories from this adventure.

I don't know if I could handle that bog... wow.

Bob H

Udo - 6-1-2010 at 07:14 PM

It's a good thing

That Jana's new FJ is not in yet. That bog would have made her cry!

edm1 - 6-1-2010 at 07:14 PM

My hat off to the Mision Sta Maria 2010 "team" - all awesome personalities - for a wonderful weekend. THANK YOU! These are the people to want to wheel with:

Paul/HBMurphy (no wonder something always goes wrong :-) - the de facto team leader, hard-core 4-wheeler, always have the answers, intelligent, well-educated, experienced. He brought his partner Zum (sp) - very sweet and always asking the correct and interesting questions. Equipped with 2009 Toyota Tacoma with custom bumpers, sliders and shortened bed just so he has the same approach and departure angles.

DK - of course, the team' tour guide and Mision's veteran, full of Baja facts (and fictions) and the one "to blame" for bringing us there. Inseparable with Baja Angel (Elizabeth) - you can't miss their positive aura/karma! Equipped with (almost) brand-new 2010 Toyota Tacoma.

CG - Another veteran 4-wheeler, focused and positive kind of guy, determined! Kept going even after losing one tire, continuing to wheel with his only spare. Chris is the HERO of this epic adventure, being the one who towed Neal the remaining 8 miles, which when put together, are just as tough as the one mile Widowmaker. Equipped with Dodge Dakota with V8 and sliders.

KurtG - hitched a ride in CG's Dodge. Retired ins home electronics sales and has driven (in a small SUV or a motorbike) Baja for many many years. Like DK, he knows the topo of Baja and knows Baja notable poeple.

Neal Johns - 80 years old, as he proclaimed. The voice of experience, husband of the first wife Marian, has many WIWs. A veteran BajaNomad, and invloved in 4-wd desert exploration in California. Provided humor to the team. Source of my first amazement for his ability to get a heavy camper on a small truck through Widowmaker). Equipped with 2003 Toyota Tacoma Camper.

Teddy / Baja Bucko - co-piloted Neal John. Very friendly, makes very good conversations, music lover, and sings, played her guitar under the Baja stars! Could engage my daughter into a conversation. Brought pet German Shepherd Dixie.

Steve/Bajatripper - lives in La Paz, son of Bajalera (as mentined earlier by DK in this thread). Formerly in the US Navy, spent 3 years in the Philippines. Very calm and confident, intelligent, absorbs himself in anthropology. His partner Soli was the only "local" and "host" as she's definetely THE Mexican in the team. Equipped with a stock Toyota 4Runner - the the source of my second amazement he was climbing like he had lockers.

Art / edm1 - DIY kind of guy. Novice at 4-wheeling; still working after all these 30-some years as director of IT software professionals.Did mostly the listening and laughing at the jokes. Brought daughter Maria/Maya doing summer break from Syracuse U. Also brought pet Doberman Pinscher Jack! Equipped with 22-foot GMC motorhome with a Ford front axle.

The trip was a difficult one (and continuing for Neal and CG), involving frustrating moments and fatigue/hunger/thirst (we had lots of food and water but who has time for them when you have a problem to solve?), but everyone kept his/her composure, knowing they are all part of the adventure and that we're all there to help each other to make the trip a success. And success is not for coming back with no or minimal damages to equipment; success is being able to bring everyone home and ever wanting to wheel together again.

One highlight of the trip (no recording for it) that the rest of the BajaNomads may never have the pleasure to see: CG playing his Australian gizmo (I foget what it's called) that makes farting sounds, as DK performed his Mision Sta Maria rock-dance. I had a stomach ache laughing!

Last but not least, thank you to this BajaNomad forum for bringing us all together to enjoy what Baja has to offer.

[Edited on 6-5-2010 by edm1]

David K - 6-1-2010 at 07:16 PM

The trip report will be on a new thread (this one is pretty long)... Maybe get it started tomorrow? I am anxious to hear news from El Rosario about Neal and CG... and I think that is a big part of the story... Nomads (amigos) helping Nomads!

I will finish this post with a photo of our newest Nomad 'hbmurphy' (Paul) of Huntington Beach (hb), and his little lady 'Zoom'... Welcome to Baja Nomad you guys... You both ROCK!

Baja Bucko - 6-1-2010 at 07:21 PM

DK---

NO NO- Eve is not a song writer and that is NOT her song....it was written by Deborah Johnson and sung by her on the DVD.....Eve is great at poetry and rock art humor but she is leaving the song writing to others who shall remain nameless......:spingrin:

Yea it was a great trip but after getting in to Sta Maria w mules from points south several times over the past 20 years etc....they never got stuck or had "mechanical" problems. A great group of people....I was riding shotgun w AridNeal discussing the physics of proper wheel placement here and there when the BIG BONK happened...I knew it couldn't be good..

NOW the guy who got the "Ballsy" award was Art-wow-his little "Winnie" had everything in it except a sauna...talk abt the Be Prepared mechanic!!! Art-you ROCK!!!!

ALL the rigs except for Art's got flooded in some way in the cab heading out thru the bogs...30" in one spot...surf's up, huh?. What a hoot of a quicky trip. Can't say enough about the guys who risked their rigs. Neal convinced me over dinner at Mama's that I needed to come along with him instead of heading to San Diego. I went along at the last minute for the cheap entertainment-that being watching trucks lose parts etc. (and NOT my truck-safely parked at Mama's) Never ever suspected it would be Neal's that would take the big hit!!! Again a great group...

GREAT... Thanks Art!

David K - 6-1-2010 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
My hat off to the Mision Sta Maria 2010 "team" - all awesome personalities - for a wonderful weekend. THANK YOU! These are the people to want to wheel with:

Paul/HBMurphy (no wonder something always goes wrong :-) - the de facto team leader, hard-core 4-wheeler, always have the answers, intelligent, well-educated, experienced. He brought his partner Zum (sp) - very sweet and always asking the correct and interesting questions. Equipped with 2009 Toyota Tacoma with custom bumpers, sliders and shortened bed just so he has the same approach and departure angles.

DK - of course, the team' tour guide and Mision's veteran, full of Baja facts (and fictions) and the one "to blame" for bringing us there. Inseparable with Baja Angel (Elizabeth) - you can't miss their positive aura/karma! Equipped with (almost) brand-new 2010 Toyota Tacoma.

CG - Another veteran 4-wheeler, focused and positive kind of guy, determined! Kept going even losing one tire, continuing to wheel with his only spare. Equipped with Dodge Dakota with V8 and sliders.

KurtG - hitched a ride in CG's Dodge. Retired ins home electronics sales and has driven (in a small SUV or a motorbike) Baja for many many years. Like DK, he knows the topo of Baja and knows Baja notable poeple.

Neal Johns - 80 years old, as he proclaimed. The voice of experience, husband of the first wife Marian, has many WIWs. A veteran BajaNomad, and invloved in 4-wd desert exploration in California. Provided humor to the team. Source of my first amazement for his ability to get a heavy camper on a small truck through Widowmaker). Equipped with 2003 Toyota Tacoma Camper.

Teddy / Baja Bucko - co-piloted Neal John. Very friendly, makes very good conversations, music lover, and sings, played her guitar under the Baja stars! Could engage my daughter into a conversation. Brought pet German Shepherd Dixie.

Steve/Bajatripper - lives in La Paz, son of Bajalera (as mentined earlier by DK in this thread). Formerly in the US Navy, spent 3 years in the Philippines. Very calm and confident, intelligent, absorbs himself in anthropology. His partner Soli was the only "local" and "host" as she's definetely THE Mexican in the team. Equipped with a stock Toyota 4Runner - the the source of my second amazement he was climbing like he had lockers.

Art / edm1 - DIY kind of guy. Novice at 4-wheeling; still working after all these 30-some years as director of IT software professionals.Did mostly the listening and laughing at the jokes. Brought daughter Maria/Maya doing summer break from Syracuse U. Also brought pet Doberman Pinscher Jack! Equipped with 22-foot GMC motorhome.

The trip was a difficult one (and continuing for Neal and CG), involving frustrating moments and fatigue/hunger/thirst (we had lots of food and water but who has time for them when you have a problem to solve?), but everyone kept his/her composure, knowing they are all part of the adventure and that we're all there to help each other to make the trip a success. And success is not for coming back with no or minimal damages to equipment; success is being able to bring everyone home and ever wanting to wheel together again.

One highlight of the trip (no recording for it) that the rest of the BajaNomads may never have the pleasure to see: CG playing his Australian gizmo (I foget what it's called) that makes farting sounds, as DK performed his Mision Sta Maria rock-dance. I had a stomach ache laughing!

Last but not least, thabk you to this BajaNomad forum for bringing us all together to enjoy what Baja has to offer.

[Edited on 6-2-2010 by edm1]

Here is the group photo I took at the peninsular divide,almost 10 miles from Santa Ynez and just over 4 miles from Santa Maria:

L to R : bajatripper & Suli, CG, Baja Angel, KurtG, Neal Johns, Baja Bucko, edm-1 & Maya, hbmurphy & Zoom

edm1 - 6-1-2010 at 07:36 PM

I forgot another highlight, with no record of it - DK lighting up a cup of gasoline explosive to seat the bead of my motorhome's tire, with literally flames all over him, but with Baja Angel at his side, not even a singed hair on his arm or head!

[Edited on 6-3-2010 by edm1]

KurtG - 6-1-2010 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Wish we could have done more to helpyou feel better... but happy to do anything for our friends!

Was bajatripper's 4Runner okay mechanically and traction-wise going out? Without a rear locker or taction control, it can be a challange!

The 4-Runner did just fine, passengers got out for some of the rough spots and we did some minor rock work but no problem. Steve is a very good off road driver.

Ken Cooke - 6-1-2010 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Yes, the bog was deep...

CG's Dakota...

That is some deep mud! I can't wait to see CG's new Baja camp truck after watching him build up the Explorer and seeing the Jeep he had for a short bit of time.

hbmurphy - 6-1-2010 at 08:36 PM

They made it...

BajaCactus - 6-1-2010 at 08:56 PM

Neal and CG just arrived to BajaCactus a few moments ago (Tuesday, 7:29pm)... they are both tired and ready for a nice night sleep... they surely deserve it... Well done guys!!!

Apparently they were able to drive to El Rosario with only the front wheel drive.

Tomorrow, we will help Neal, who will remain in El Rosario, find a mechanic and the parts needed to fix the back differential, then he is going back to the States... meanwhile we will do our best to make him feel at home here at BajaCactus.

An interesting adventure indeed...

BajaCactus

hbmurphy - 6-1-2010 at 09:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw44OnITtRc

Well I was soooo wrong about the Art and his Urban Assault Vehicle! :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw44OnITtRc

David K - 6-1-2010 at 09:09 PM

Marian just called and reported Neal and Chris are back in El Rosario!!! Neal's Tacoma is there, too... Repairs to differential will be attempted in El Rosario!

I see Antonio just heard as well!!!

Thank you CG and Thank you Baja Cactus!!

bajalou - 6-1-2010 at 09:09 PM

Great photos and reports - sure wish I could have been there,

hbmurphy - 6-1-2010 at 09:09 PM

Quote:
Neil and CG just arrived to BajaCactus a few moments ago (Tuesday, 7:29pm)... they are both tired and ready for a nice night sleep... they surely deserve it... Well done guys!!!

Apparently they were able to drive to El Rosario with only the front wheel drive. Neil will remain in El Rosario to fix the back differential, then he is going back to the States... meanwhile we will do our best to make him feel at home here at BajaCactus.

A nice adventure indeed...

BajaCactus

:biggrin::biggrin:

David K - 6-1-2010 at 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hbmurphy

Well I was soooo wrong about the Art and his Urban Assault Vehicle! :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw44OnITtRc

Cool video coming down the Widowmaker...

I am so relieved to hear that Neal and Chris are now resting comfortably at Baja Cactus (where Baja is more than a dream)!

Teddi, I will edit my post about the song's creator... I mis-heard, sorry!

edm1 - 6-1-2010 at 09:47 PM

Quote:
Neil and CG just arrived to BajaCactus a few moments ago (Tuesday, 7:29pm)... they are both tired and ready for a nice night sleep... they surely deserve it... Well done guys!!!

Apparently they were able to drive to El Rosario with only the front wheel drive.

Tomorrow, we will help Neil, who will remain in El Rosario, find a mechanic and the parts needed to fix the back differential, then he is going back to the States... meanwhile we will do our best to make him feel at home here at BajaCactus.

An interesting adventure indeed...

BajaCactus

[Edited on 6-2-2010 by BajaCactus]

WELL DONE Chris (CG)!!! That Dodge of yours is Baja Tough!

David K - 6-1-2010 at 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bucko
DK---

NO NO- Eve is not a song writer and that is NOT her song....it was written by Deborah Johnson and sung by her on the DVD....

ALL the rigs except for Art's got flooded in some way in the cab heading out thru the bogs...30" in one spot...surf's up, huh?.

BB---

NO NO- Not all the rigs got water in them... mine didn't, as far as I know, Paul's didn't... both the newer Tacomas. I only heard that CG's Dakota got real wet inside... not sure about the 4Runner?

Thanks for responding to the thread... You missed some epic recovery work that night after you left us... pulling Neal's camper to the top of the mountain! :bounce::biggrin:

David K - 6-1-2010 at 09:59 PM

Okay, now that Neal and CG are out of trouble... the rest of us can relax a bit more!

To the members who took photos or were photographed, I will make extra discs of the photos I took (over 200) and mail them to you... I would like to have a disk of your photos, too!

Please u2u (private Nomad message system) or email me your addresses for me to send discs to, and I will give you my mail address. My email is info*AT*vivabaja.com or my 'baja4me' email if you have used it.

bajatripper (4Runner)
edm-1 (4WD motorhome)
Baja Bucko (passenger)
hbmurphy (Tacoma)
Kurt G (passenger)
Neal Johns (Tacoma)
CG (Dakota)
David K (Tacoma)

edm1 - 6-1-2010 at 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

.. You missed some epic recovery work that night after you left us... pulling Neal's camper to the top of the mountain! :bounce::biggrin:

Add to that it all happened in the dark until 1:00AM!

Baja Angel - 6-1-2010 at 10:21 PM

WOW!!!!!
What an amazing trip! That was the best ever :bounce:
Made some great friends and got to watch some really cool vehicles do their stuff :tumble: :lol:
We really made some great memories!
But remember guys and gals.... for some of those campfire memories
"What happens in Baja.... stays in Baja...." :saint:

CG - 6-1-2010 at 10:57 PM

Hello all!

We made it back to BajaCactus about 8pm.

Neal treated me to a great dinner at Mama Espinoza’s, he tried to talk me into going to the girlie bars and drinking all night, but I told him I'm getting too old for that kind of stuff:yes:

Another great adventure! I'll post more after a good nights sleep.

Chris

[Edited on 6-4-2010 by CG]

capt. mike - 6-2-2010 at 06:48 AM

that van is amazing.

edm1 - 6-2-2010 at 07:05 AM

Quote:

Paul, on the contrary, after we made it through the first tough obstacle where you went in front of my rig to spot for me, I knew I was in good hands, that all of us would make it in and out of the Mision. I should have told you that; don't doubt the over 100 years of cumulative 4 wheeling experience that the team has!

Thanks for all your leadership in this adventure!

Art

David K - 6-2-2010 at 07:06 AM

The people were amazing as well... everyone. ... As Mama Espinoza said, so well: "Bad Roads bring Good People"!

Here is edm-1's (Art's) motorhome climbing the Widowmaker:

TMW - 6-2-2010 at 07:23 AM

I'm leaving this afternoon for El Centro and meet with Tunaeater tomorrow morning to go pre-running for the 500 race. But if Neal needs anything brought down call me on my cell phone and I will run it down to him. 661-863-8161. I don't know if it will work once I'm in Baja since it's a new cell phone.

hbmurphy - 6-2-2010 at 08:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Paul, on the contrary, after we made it through the first tough obstacle where you went in front of my rig to spot for me, I knew I was in good hands, that all of us would make it in and out of the Mision. I should have told you that; don't doubt the over 100 years of cumulative 4 wheeling experience that the team has!

Thanks for all your leadership in this adventure!

Art

Art, you are very welcome! I'm flattered that you folks listened to my lead! Especially 'cause I was faking the knowledge and just attempting to instill confidence so that we could get up and out! ;D :lol: :?:

David K - 6-2-2010 at 08:17 AM

Thanks Paul... It worked!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Check the thread on Tacoma World, not as many Baja nuts there, so just the photos with some tiny notes is all I am doing there (50% posted this morning...)

I am going to need some time to post a trip report here on Nomad, with so much to write about because more can relate to the place here!

BAJACAT - 6-2-2010 at 06:34 PM

OMG, I miss the trip of the year, Im going to hate myself for the rest of the year, i can belive I wasn't part of this, Im sorry what happen to Neal, but thats Baja, Im living proof of that, after so many trip to Baja, i had to do some repairs on my Dodge, I usually check my truck after my Baja trips, but this time i didn't, shame on me. Im glad everybody is ok. And yes Antonio is great asset to BajaNomad,one more time NOMADS RULE.....

DK, what happen to your bumper?

Baja12valve - 6-2-2010 at 07:33 PM

Yeah, I feel the same way. I have been lurking on this thread from the beginning, knowing I was not able to go, way jealous about those going. I look at my calendar and see the first opening in late June. Who knows, I just may go.

David K - 6-2-2010 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
OMG, I miss the trip of the year, Im going to hate myself for the rest of the year, i can belive I wasn't part of this, Im sorry what happen to Neal, but thats Baja, Im living proof of that, after so many trip to Baja, i had to do some repairs on my Dodge, I usually check my truck after my Baja trips, but this time i didn't, shame on me. Im glad everybody is ok. And yes Antonio is great asset to BajaNomad,one more time NOMADS RULE.....

DK, what happen to your bumper?

We missed you Jose, but I know you were with us in spirit...
The trip was epic... not because of the location, but because of the people who were there... There WILL be Santa Maria Gang reunions, like there are Matomi Gang reunions... Only, I think we will do easier trips out of El Rosario or perhaps a Shell Island campouts? Just like the Matomi reunions... being on the first trip is not a prerequisite to attending the reunions... isn't being a Baja Nomad great?!!

The bumper was caught on a rock within sight of the mission... I was slowly dropping down a 2 ft. ledge/ boulder... when the body fell onto the rock, just behind the tire... put a deep dent there, then as I moved ahead that rock caught the end of the bumber where it wraps around the back corner of the truck, and 'peeled' it back as I drove away from the rock drop off. edm1's motorhome also had the same kind of bumper damage.

The road is highly difficult and at the moment, I consider it impassable. If it weren't for this great gang, I would have not gone into the bog. Oscar (of Santa Ynez) warned us that the water was 5 feet deep and none of us would reach the mission... He also said the motorhome wouldn't get 3 kms. from the ranch!

I am working on the detailed trip report... so stay tuned!

[Edited on 6-3-2010 by David K]

edm1 - 6-2-2010 at 08:50 PM

Jose, you saved yourself a bumper by not joining the trip :-). I bet your bumper would have been a 3x copy(baja)cat.

But you missed the company of some of the best people in the 4 wheeling crowd and the excitement of having to face the challenges that we faced during the trip in and out of the Mision!!!

DK is right; what you've seen in photos and have read in the teaser posts are just a third of the whole thing, and then some belonging to the category of "what happens in Baja stays in Baja".

Art

Ongoing repairs...

BajaCactus - 6-2-2010 at 09:01 PM

Neal is waiting in El Rosario for his Tacoma to be repaired... our staff at BajaCactus directed Neal to a local mechanic, who after inspecting the vehicle found damage to the main gear and some other internal parts inside the rear differential... Also both the tie rod ends have to be replaced.

Our staff looked for the parts in El Rosario and the San Quintín area but they could only found one tie rod (and very expensive by the way)... so they called me earlier today (June 2nd) to request I look for the parts here in Tijuana.

I already bought the two tie rod ends and have them with me here in Tijuana.

The rear differential is another whole story... I thought it could be faster to just find a used differential, but after spending the whole day looking and looking and looking, I was unable to find one with the same characteristics as Neal's... so after some calls, I found a place in Tijuana that sells rebuilt differentials and transmissions (a lot cheaper than a used one by the way, and with more guarantee).

Anyhow, I finally ordered one for Neal and they should have it ready tomorrow afternoon... if everything goes well, I should be shipping everything to El Rosario in a day or so.

In the middle of all these, when I was coming and going and making calls; I made one call to Neal, explaining all these and telling him not to worry and that everything was going to be resolve soon... then, as if he had some kind of "Jedi" power to feel over long distances, he very calmly, with a sooth and relaxed voice said to me: "Antonio, do not stress yourself my friend... there is no hurry, I am well, I have supplies for a couple of weeks and I am in Baja... do not worry, just relax and take your time young boy".

Wow!!!... what a guy... he was calming me!!!.... he really thought me a lesson in life today... thanks my friend..

So, as you can see, Neal is well, happy and just relaxing... waiting for his vehicle to be repaired... and he should be out of there soon... yes I know... relax, there is no rush, everything will happen when it happens... :)

Enjoy Baja my friends...!!!

BajaCactus

Rear Differential.jpg - 50kB

Ken Cooke - 6-2-2010 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David KThe road is highly difficult and at the moment, I consider it impassable. If it weren't for this great gang, I would have not gone into the bog. Oscar (of Santa Ynez) warned us that the water was 5 feet deep and none of us would reach the mission... He also said the motorhome wouldn't get 3 kms. from the ranch!

I heard from Marian Johns tonight that water actually seeped into some of the vehicles due to the water being a 3 feet in depth!:O I have never seen it that deep before, but water collects in the canyons and can present challenges for the hardy four wheeler. :bounce:

As for the trail being impassable, that motorhome sure proved Oscar wrong. :lol:

David K - 6-2-2010 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by David KThe road is highly difficult and at the moment, I consider it impassable. If it weren't for this great gang, I would have not gone into the bog. Oscar (of Santa Ynez) warned us that the water was 5 feet deep and none of us would reach the mission... He also said the motorhome wouldn't get 3 kms. from the ranch!

I heard from Marian Johns tonight that water actually seeped into some of the vehicles due to the water being a 3 feet in depth!:O I have never seen it that deep before, but water collects in the canyons and can present challenges for the hardy four wheeler. :bounce:

As for the trail being impassable, that motorhome sure proved Oscar wrong. :lol:

Some bog pics, going in and coming out:

Talk about hatin' life...

Ken Cooke - 6-2-2010 at 09:28 PM

That mud smells worse than backed up sewage! :lol::bounce:

But, being towed through mud with a grenaded rear differential with All-Terrain tires is the pits! I *am* impressed with everyone pulling Neal's broken Taco to Hwy 1!!:bounce::yes:

David K - 6-2-2010 at 09:36 PM

It was edm1 and CG who did the pulling and winching for the most part... HB Murphy was the hero for his vehicle directing skills and mechanical help.

I did have fun doing the gasoline igniting to bead (explode) the tire on the motorhome! I saw it done on a YouTube and heard that was the Mexican way of fixing truck tires when you don't have a high volume of air! It was great... great balls of fire!

::The White Elephant::

Ken Cooke - 6-2-2010 at 10:30 PM

David,

You have told me how trouble-free Toyota-brand pickups are, but there is a white elephant in the room here. I honestly believe that Neal must have over-loaded his pickup with the heavy camper, carrying more weight than his vehicle is rated at carrying - let alone on a tough trail like Mission Santa Maria.

Should he be running heavier duty u joints, and what about the ring and pinion gears? Did these explode? Or was it the axle shafts? Or was it the rear carrier? Regardless, I was flirting with disaster when camping with my Ford Ranger several years ago. I could load so much weight over the rear axle, but I know its' time would come sooner or later since these pickups are basically 1/2 ton and not 3/4 or 1 ton vehicles.

What should Neal think about building into his rear axle assembly so that this doesn't happen again??

David K - 6-3-2010 at 07:42 AM

Ken, there were 4 Toyotas on this trip along with 1 Dodge Dakota and the Chevy van/motorhome. Neal's '03 had an aftermarket transfer case, manual tranny and overload springs... not sure of how many miles on it, but you know how much he travels.

That camper was a lot of weight for any small truck to carry and the road was the toughest I have ever traveled. The motorhome had a tire come off the bead twice (too low pressure) and the Dakota got a sidewall rip (new Michelin tire), other than some body damage nobody else had problems that I can remember.

I am sure Neal will answer your questions about the differential (no drive shaft or U joint issues) and tie rod end failures (may be totally from being pulled).

The amazing Toyota was Bajatripper's 4Runner with open differentials and 'street tires'... He only had to be pulled a bit through the bog where he lost traction in the 3 foot deep water/ slimey mud. Paul's '09 modified Tacoma and my '10 stock Tacoma were great. The A-TRAC* was amazing in the mud and on the Widowmaker and the rest of the mountain climb... I never touched the rear differential lock.

*Active Traction Control gives the traction of front and rear lockers without interfering with steering. A-TRAC uses sensors at all four tires and matches rotation across the axle giving torque to tire with traction via a hydraulic brake booster. Available on '09 and newer 4WD Off Road TRD Tacomas (also on 4Runners, Land Cruisers, FJ Cruisers, Tundras and Lexus models).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMvtTKzVy2M&feature=playe...

David K - 6-3-2010 at 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
David,

You have told me how trouble-free Toyota-brand pickups are, but there is a white elephant in the room here. I honestly believe that Neal must have over-loaded his pickup with the heavy camper, carrying more weight than his vehicle is rated at carrying - let alone on a tough trail like Mission Santa Maria.

Should he be running heavier duty u joints, and what about the ring and pinion gears? Did these explode? Or was it the axle shafts? Or was it the rear carrier? Regardless, I was flirting with disaster when camping with my Ford Ranger several years ago. I could load so much weight over the rear axle, but I know its' time would come sooner or later since these pickups are basically 1/2 ton and not 3/4 or 1 ton vehicles.

What should Neal think about building into his rear axle assembly so that this doesn't happen again??

The photo of Neal's differential opened up, added in BajaCactus' post!

[Edited on 6-3-2010 by David K]

Rear Differential.jpg - 50kB

hbmurphy - 6-3-2010 at 08:30 AM

I know it's just me but... I would never let a "Good crisis go to waste!" -

When that happened to me, I re-geared to 4.56s and added an ARB locker - I am very much like ART - I did all the work myself (to save a little cash and to know how to deal with it should it break on the trail) with the exception of the gear set up. I used a guy by the name of Chase at East Coast Gear Supply (www.eastcoastgearsupply.com).

He warranties the labor and gears for 5 years! He ships a completed third to you in a paint bucket and then you send yours back in a prepaid paint bucket.

edm1 - 6-3-2010 at 10:27 AM

. . . never let a "Good crisis go to waste!"

There's definetely a trip retrospective to be done - lessons learned - as there were things that we did that could be improved to enhance our readiness, skills and equipment for the next trip.

And one of them is never tow a disabled vehicle for 5 miles hooked to your hitch that is just tack-welded to the frame (unfinished job), especially if it is also welded to the rear doorframe and ribcage of your motorhome. If the hitch came off the tack-welds, it would have torn the rear door apart and the rest of the body along with it, with my daughter and dog inside. LUCKILY none of that happened. My greatest worry was if the hitch struck Neal behind me, but getting Neal out of those difficult obstacles overrode all those odds. The lesosn is: bring the portable welder with you.

hbmurphy - 6-3-2010 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
. . . never let a "Good crisis go to waste!"

There's definetely a trip retrospective to be done - lessons learned - as there were things that we did that could be improved to enhance our readiness, skills and equipment for the next trip.

And one of them is never tow a disabled vehicle for 5 miles hooked to your hitch that is just tack-welded to the frame, especially if it is also welded to the rear doorframe and ribcage of your motorhome. If the hitch came off the tack-welds, it would have torn the rear door apart and the rest of the body along with it. LUCKILY none of that happened. My greatest worry was if the hitch struck Neal behind me, but getting Neal out of those difficult obstacles overrode all those odds. The lesosn is: bring the portable welder with you.

If the hitch came off the tack-welds, it would have torn the rear door apart and the rest of the body along with it.

Oh my!!!

Regarding lessons learned.... Bring Strarter Fluid and get Comm Standardized with all vehicles ( I am a very big advocate of 2 meter/HAM but CB's would work too).:cool:

David K - 6-3-2010 at 10:43 AM

Maybe high volume air supply, too? Just in case I am not around to blow your tire back onto the rim with gasoline! LOL:lol::light::cool:

What a great time... Check your u2u regarding photo exchange... I made extra discs of the photos from my camera... Lot's of your van, Art.

I just posted Part 2 of the full trip report and photos here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46050

[Edited on 6-4-2010 by David K]

Ken Cooke - 6-3-2010 at 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hbmurphyRegarding lessons learned.... Bring Strarter Fluid and get Comm Standardized with all vehicles ( I am a very big advocate of 2 meter/HAM but CB's would work too).:cool:

I make it a point to only invite people with at least a CB radio in their vehicle. I'm running dual compressors and an air tank capable of reseating a bead and running air tools, because you never know when you will need it.

edm1 - 6-3-2010 at 09:03 PM

Another lesson could be using a strap longer than the 15-ft strap used to tow Neal, with which he could not see very well in front of him or doesn't have enough time to react to the boulders that I had to go over or maneuver around. I think a 20-ft or 25-ft strap would be ideal and could have prevented or at least minimized the tie-rod damage to his steering system.

edm1 - 6-3-2010 at 09:26 PM

The frustrating thing about re-seating the beads in this trip was that it was hit and miss. I popped the bead in both outer dually tires, driver's and passenger's sides at different times. The first time (driver-side), Maya and I reseated the bead by just tightening a strap around the tire and then pumped air from a 2-gallon compressor at 105 psi, Maya doing the pumping while I was wiggling the tire back and forth inside the wheel.

The secod time, the entire team tried the same using the same strap, the same compressor, trying Paul's compressor, Paul's straps, trying another tire carcass, and we couldn't seat the bead. We finally resorted to explosives :-) and finally was able to set the bead. The good thing was that we were never desperate since if the gasoline explosion did not seat the bead, we had a last option - use the inner tubes that I brought as a last resort. DK had fun doing the gasoline igniting, though.

The bottomline (lesson learned) is that what makes it difficult to seat the bead is that the tires are 8R19.5 Load Range F tires being mounted on a 7.5 inch wheels, making the tire a little too narrow for the wheel. I'd bet a 245R19.5 tire (like the front tires on the motor home) would mount much more easily.

[Edited on 6-4-2010 by edm1]

bajalou - 6-3-2010 at 09:36 PM

The tires edm1 has on his MH can not be beaded with a compressor and air tank unless you have a 2 inch outlet with a gate valve and special nozzle. The sidewalls are to stiff. Using gasoline or lighter fluid to seat the beads is a common thing, in Mexico and in the USA. (Of course not at Costco etc.) I've used it many times, learned it from a friend who owned a trucking company. He had a 15hp compressor with a 50 gal tank and used this method. On board compressors are great for the re-inflating tires after lowering the pressure for sand, rock crawling, etc. A good air wrench speeds up tire changing and other repairs also. I have a 20K tank of CO2 which works very well for this also.

The length of the tow strap is somewhat dependent on the terrain. Along strap is dangerous if there are a lot of sharp turns. I carry several straps which can be linked together if I need more distance between vehicles. I have a 30ft strap called a Super Strap or something like that. I 1" strap is rated at 10,000 lbs. It does not have hooks (I don't want hooks on my straps - ever) but is made so you can weave it back into itself 3-4 times.This way it can always be undone. It also stretches so it can be use to pop a vehicle out of a hole they are stuck in. Makes a smoother tow also, less jerking when slack is taken up. Costs 2-3 times the other straps but in my opinion well worth it.

We try to be prepared for anything, but sometimes come up short.

Bajatripper - 6-3-2010 at 10:32 PM

Hey, Gang
Man, that was some trip! Can't say that I've ever been down a worse road. The company was great, can't think of a finer group of people I'd rather travel with. Even without being able to speak English, my wife had a fantastic time.
Art's motor home had to be seen to be believed. If I hadn't of witnessed it myself, I'd of figured the photos of it were photoshopped. The sound of that beast crashing through the swamp trees reminded me of video documentaries of bull elephants charging out to meet challenges to the herd. Just the sound of it behind me probably scared my little 4Runner into performing way above its normal capabilities, running like a scared dog.
Paul's swamp rat was something else to see, zipping back and forth, winching here, pulling there, making u-turns so effortlessly. I might just have to get a real job so I, too, can outfit my rig like that.
And who could forget the roar of Chris' V-8 Dodge in the canyon as he yanked Neil's rig through the swamp.
It was a real pleasure to meet David K and his wife Elizabeth. As a lurker, I've admired his work on this board for some years now.
I'm sorry I had to leave the group (by popular demand, my breath must have been particularly bad that day) to get Kurt back to civilization since he wasn't feeling up to snuff (Kurt, I've got your ball cap and sweat shirt and will be getting hold of you shortly). I'd have loved to have seen the bead setting by David K.
I was fortunate enough to avoid putting any new dings in my 4Runner, pure luck since, with my setup (or lack of), I really didn't have much choice but to throttle and go at times, taking my chances that it wouldn't bounce on anything hard. The only water intrusion I had was from my wet clothes, as I thought I should check the water depth for our group (yeah, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it).
I was most impressed by the way the team came together to get Neil's rig out of there. That certainly would set my mind at ease for any future outing we might go on.
An unsung hero in all of this is Jose. Although I don't know him personally, we all owe him a debt of gratitude for twice going to the effort to set that trip up. Too bad things didn't work out for him so that he, too, could take his rig out for some abuse.
The only disappointment for me, personally, was that Oscar wasn't at Santa Inez when we got back. I really, really wanted to do a little gloating. He was awful certain that none of us would even come close to the mission. The morning of our departure from the ranch, as the team members arrived one at a time, he'd tell me "ya llego otro que no va a llegar" (here comes another one who won't make it).
At the moment, I'm visiting with my Mom, Bajalera, in California, so I'm unable to download any of my photos. By the time I get back to La Paz, this thread will probably be dead. But I will certainly forward a disc to team members who desire one. Of course, given that I live in La Paz, I will have to wait until my next visit to the U.S. before I'm able to mail them.
In the meantime, if any of you guys make it down my way, you've got a place to stay, should you desire. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

Take care, all
Steve

David K - 6-4-2010 at 08:12 AM

Thank you very much Steve... It was great to meet you and Zully!

I told Oscar it was a "piece of cake" (or maybe in my poor Spanish I really said it was a "lot of crap") to drive through! LOL He did learn that ALL (TODOS) reached the mission... even the motorhome, and he WAS surprised!

Send our best to 'bajalera', and good luck with getting her book published. I want to order an autographed copy.

Please click on the blue "You have a u2u" link in the upper right hnbd corner of the Nomad page. I sent you a note about the photo disc exchange.

Your 4Runner and driving skills were amazing... with only open differentials, non-aggresive tires, your stock Toyota rocked!

See you in La Paz... and you are welcome in our Oceanside home, anytime (Mi casa es tu casa)! ;D:biggrin:

[Edited on 9-17-2010 by David K]

Pages:  1  2