BajaNomad

MISSION INN- new San Quintin area motel review with photos

CasaManzana - 10-31-2010 at 06:17 PM

For us, a good place to stay has always been in the San Quintin area and then to make the jump to Mulege. Just 10 miles to the north of San Quintin is Vicente Guerrero...not known for much except dust I'm guessing..until motel Mission Inn opened three weeks ago-

There are 32 rooms and a restaurant. The rooms are killer upscale with high-end stuff much like Motel Catcus in El Rosario. It's off the road enough to be quiet and some staff members speak English. They will provide a coffee maker upon request. Court yard parking right in front of your room is a high point for us. A big flat screen TV with 17 stations is in each room. Price for two is $678 pesos and reservations can be made at ' info@hotelmissioninn.com '.
The motel, or hotel as they like to call it, is fantastic but the restaurant menue does not have a single salad listed and is mostly beef and very little sea food choices. And of all things, you can get "liver and onions" if you wish:P .

krafty - 10-31-2010 at 06:38 PM

Looks really nice! hopefully their menu will improve with time

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 10-31-2010 at 07:30 PM

Hola, great alternative, thank you.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

SoCal-Bob - 10-31-2010 at 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CasaManzana
Just 10 miles to the north of San Quintin is Vicente Guerrero...not known for much except dust I'm guessing..until motel Mission Inn opened three weeks ago-

Either at the end of 2009 or early this year (I can't recall which), they installed center dividers on the main road through town with street lights, palm-trees and other foliage. A few months ago Vicente Guerrero got a Pemex. You know you've arrived when you get a Pemex. VG is officially on the map! LOL

BajaBlanca - 10-31-2010 at 09:11 PM

nice to have another option ... thanks for posting.

Martyman - 11-1-2010 at 10:24 AM

Thanks for the idea but with the beach so close I always head west.

David K - 11-1-2010 at 10:34 AM

One of the nicest RV parks in Baja is in COLONIA VICENTE GUERRERO, the POSADA DON DIEGO (whose owner is a Baja Nomad)... Stayed there a couple times back in 1984 for Tom Miller's Mexico West Travel Club events.

Back in time, many years earlier, the HAMILTON RANCH served the early Baja travelers... It was located just east of Colonia V. Guerrero on the south side of the Santo Domingo river.

1927 Auto Club Baja Map (note 'Guerrero Colony' on map):

[Edited on 11-1-2010 by David K]

Bajahowodd - 11-1-2010 at 02:26 PM

Thanks for the photos, especially the room and the restaurant. Rooms do look very nice. It caught the corner of my eye driving south last month, mostly because of the bright color of the building. Wasn't yet open. Brings up the point that you show quite a few vehicles in the lot. Place just opened. On our trip, we found most of our usual places nearly empty.

Now, you've presented a dilemma to me. We like Jardines de Baja in San Quintin. Their restaurant is super. What to do?

David K - 11-1-2010 at 04:16 PM

More trips to Baja to eat at more places! LOL

Has anyone checked out that huge new hotel just south of Colonet above Hwy. 1... ??

SoCal-Bob - 11-1-2010 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Has anyone checked out that huge new hotel just south of Colonet above Hwy. 1... ??

I saw it when I drove by in October. Looked nice from the outside. I did not stop in. It is quite a distance from the towns. Seemed like an odd location.

While the buildings looked large (maybe b/c they were in the middle of nowhere with nothing to compare it to), it didn't seem like there were that many rooms.

sanquintinsince73 - 11-2-2010 at 12:12 PM

Looks like a very nice place. I think I saw it this past Friday on my way down to Palapas Alvino.

Bajahowodd - 11-2-2010 at 12:29 PM

Quote:

Haven't stayed there, but noticed the parking lot always appeared empty. I also thought it to be a weird location. I may be way off base, but the two most logical reasons for it being there are either laundering drug money, and/or getting in on the ground floor should that massive container port proposed for Colonet ever be built. That's the one that would include a new rail line headed up toward Texas. Predicted to require a huge number of construction workers, as well as permanent residents, once completed. Real estate prices will skyrocket if and when they break ground on the project.

BajaBikeNut - 12-13-2010 at 08:10 AM

Thanks for posting. We meant to stop and get a quick tour when we were down that way in November, but we forgot and blew right by.

schwlind - 12-13-2010 at 08:42 AM

It may have been because of the forever ongoing rumors, what have you, about the Punta Colonet port being developed... I heard about it from friends in San Antonio Del Mar... but completely forgot! When I go out later this month I'll try to get over there and report back.

Linda

Oggie - 12-13-2010 at 10:07 AM

The Mission Hotel/ Restuarant is owned by the same folks that own the Mission Santa Isabel restuarant just north of San Quintin

[Edited on 12-13-2010 by Oggie]

David K - 12-13-2010 at 04:19 PM

That is a great restaurant... Hope they have the same food eventually at the new motel for their sake!

Bajahowodd - 12-13-2010 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oggie
The Mission Hotel/ Restuarant is owned by the same folks that own the Mission Santa Isabel restuarant just north of San Quintin

[Edited on 12-13-2010 by Oggie]

I kinda thought bout that, given the name and location. And DK is correct, the restaurant is very good. Only question I'd have is about them competing with themselves in the restaurant. I assume the old restaurant is still open and operating?:?:

tripledigitken - 12-13-2010 at 05:19 PM

Howard,

I ate at the Mission Santa Isabel restaurant this last October.

Ken

Bajahowodd - 12-13-2010 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Howard,

Ken

Thanks, Ken.

However, that is just about the time the new hotel and restaurant opened. We went by in October just before it opened. Would not surprise me if they ran both. The old restaurant always had lots of locals, while I'd guess that the primary target for the new one would be tourists.

tripledigitken - 12-13-2010 at 05:34 PM

I'm guessing the old restaurant is a gold mine. They do a terrific business.

David K - 12-13-2010 at 06:06 PM

They are in different towns, many miles apart... Because we Nomads zoom by heading for El Rosario or L.A. Bay... they may seem to be in the same town.

jeffg - 12-14-2010 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:
Howard,

Ken

Thanks, Ken.

However, that is just about the time the new hotel and restaurant opened. We went by in October just before it opened. Would not surprise me if they ran both. The old restaurant always had lots of locals, while I'd guess that the primary target for the new one would be tourists.

The new restaurant has been open for quite a while, it was open long before the hotel opened. Doesn't seem like it's having a negative effect on Mision Sta Isabel. I stopped for breakfast at Sta. Isabel in November and they were adding on to the restaurant. Looked like the plan was to push the front wall out to add more table space.

Jeff

BajaGringo - 12-14-2010 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffg
Quote:
Quote:
Howard,

Ken

Thanks, Ken.

The new restaurant has been open for quite a while, it was open long before the hotel opened. Doesn't seem like it's having a negative effect on Mision Sta Isabel. I stopped for breakfast at Sta. Isabel in November and they were adding on to the restaurant. Looked like the plan was to push the front wall out to add more table space.

Jeff

They are building some space between the restaurant and the highway which creates a better sound barrier as well as a nicer entrance. We eat there on a regular basis and always enjoy the food...

bajatravelergeorge - 12-24-2010 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Haven't stayed there, but noticed the parking lot always appeared empty. I also thought it to be a weird location. I may be way off base, but the two most logical reasons for it being there are either laundering drug money, and/or getting in on the ground floor should that massive container port proposed for Colonet ever be built. That's the one that would include a new rail line headed up toward Texas. Predicted to require a huge number of construction workers, as well as permanent residents, once completed. Real estate prices will skyrocket if and when they break ground on the project.

It looks like the port at Punta Colonet is a go! Bidding to begin in the spring of 2011 and its going to be the full blown port. Not the scaled down version they were talking about for awhile. For some reason its not getting alot of press like it did the first time they announced it. Maybe we should grab some land while its still cheap.:yes:

Bajahowodd - 12-24-2010 at 04:42 PM

I'm kinda thinking that train has already left the station, if the folks who built that new hotel are any indication. Seems to me they started construction like three years ago.

bajatravelergeorge - 12-24-2010 at 05:32 PM

But the prices might have come down when the project went into limbo.

Bajahowodd - 12-24-2010 at 06:19 PM

Quizas. However, seems to me that Mexico real estate prices don't react to market conditions anywhere near how they do NOB.

bajatravelergeorge - 12-24-2010 at 06:28 PM

I hear what your saying. Something sets the price in their mind (right or wrong) and if you don't want to pay that price, you no buy it. They will sit on it for 20 years if need be.