BajaNomad

Tent Camping

mcrider69 - 12-16-2010 at 09:53 AM

Thank you for the info on the campgrounds. I am making a trip in Jan./Feb. and would like to tent camp as much as possible. I can go down to 50 degrees at night before I freeze. Will the weather cooperate?

David K - 12-16-2010 at 09:57 AM

WHERE???

mulegemichael - 12-16-2010 at 10:00 AM

it was 47 this morning here in mulege and it's likely to get colder before the winter is over...down in the east cape region it doesn't get nearly as cold at night so i would suggest you visit around cabo pulmo, la ribera, etc...nice beaches, great fishing, super folks..

David K - 12-16-2010 at 10:01 AM

Before you answer 'Baja'... keep in mind, Baja is longer than California, has 3,000 miles of costline, and almost every climate from sea level to over 10,000 feet above sea level. So, where in Baja are you going... and what kind a vehicle do you have? Your interests would help, too: fishing swimming, hiking, off roading, fossil hunting, Spanish mission ruins, mountains, deserts, tropical oasis...???

wessongroup - 12-16-2010 at 10:49 AM

DK, ya forgot "BARS"..... :):)

David K - 12-16-2010 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
DK, ya forgot "BARS"..... :):)

Oh, I figured Dennis would jump on that answer!:light::lol:

There are lots of things to do in Baja... The Baja Adventure Book by Walt Peterson is a great guide for many of them.

Skipjack Joe - 12-16-2010 at 01:56 PM

If 50 degrees is your threshhold then either coast is fine. The lows are in the low to mid 50s.

It should be colder inland at such places like Catavina and San Ignacio, I would think, as temperatures drop in the desert without the marine layer that acts like a buffer.

This is one of the nicer times to camp in baja. The only factor I can think of is the sporadic wind days.

http://weather.yahoo.com/mexico/baja-california/

http://weather.yahoo.com/mexico/baja-california-sur/

tiotomasbcs - 12-16-2010 at 04:32 PM

Amigo, camping south of El Rosario is beautiful albeit a bit cold at night during Jan/Feb. TJ nto El Rosario can be very dangerous. Search Nomads for previous posts! Bring good equipment. Tio

sanquintinsince73 - 12-16-2010 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Amigo, camping south of El Rosario is beautiful albeit a bit cold at night during Jan/Feb. TJ nto El Rosario can be very dangerous. Search Nomads for previous posts! Bring good equipment. Tio

Say huh?????

wilderone - 12-18-2010 at 10:20 AM

Be prepared for dampness and cold mornings (out of the sleeping bag) as well. 75% of your body heat escapes through your head, so bring a cap to sleep in. Even a plastic poncho spread over your bag to retain body heat will help. I discovered that once when temps dropped to 15 degrees in the Sierra Nevadas in September. Double up on your sleeping pad for insulation, or put another sleeping bag inside the other (if there's room). I have a sleeping bag liner that adds 15 degrees. A fire on a cold morning is nice, so bring wood. I've had frost on the ground at the turnoff to Erendira in December; Sta Inez in February; Mision Santa Maria in January. Or just get a 0 degree bag.

chrisx - 1-6-2011 at 02:44 PM

No, it wont cooperate.
It is winter everywhere.
Get a better sleeping bag. To milk a few more degrees out of a bag, sleep without any clothes on, wear a hat, a good one. Zip up you're warm jacket and pull it over you're feet on the outside of you're bag. put you're rain jacket / poncho on top of you're bag, over you're chest. Bag liners are nice, silk if you can afford it. An insulating pad helps a lot.
Have a tinder box. There are many choices, cotton balls soaked in Vaseline among the cheapest. Keep more than one lighter/matches in separate dry places.
Know how to build a fire with rain soaked and snowed on wood. (build fire on flat rocks), (the middle of the stick is still dry, use you're knife, or appropriate rock to remove wet outer layers.)
The list goes on and on.
Winter gear is required in the winter!

[Edited on 1-6-2011 by chrisx]

BooJumMan - 1-6-2011 at 07:06 PM

Just to point out that the whole 75% of your body heat going through your head is an old wives tale! Heat escapes the same amount from all parts of your body. No offense, just pointing it out thats all.

But yes, I have camped a lot during the winter months in Central Baja and it gets very cold. Just bring lots of warm stuff to sleep in.

Skipjack Joe - 1-6-2011 at 08:16 PM

We just came back from a tent-camping trip and have some advice for you. It has to do with wind.

There was plenty of it. It was blowing 30 with gusts to 40. All through the night. There periods of time when the tent flattened on top us (a 5' high tent) only to spring back up when it diminished. We had 12" nails buried in the sand which did not hold. I ended up rolling large rocks in the night over the nails to keep the tent from flying off. The wind blew for 3 straight nights but the first was the worse.

My recommendation is to get a quality ($300+) 4 season tent where rain flaps tie down to the very base of the tent. It may not rain in baja but you want to be sealed inside when it starts to blow. Rain flaps that come half way down the sides fill up with air pulling the entire tent like an umbrella.

Our experience is very common in baja during the winter. It will blow in 3 day cycles, as high and low pressure systems make their way across North America moving west to east.

Good tent:

s7_517569_999_01.jpg - 17kB

Skipjack Joe - 1-6-2011 at 08:18 PM

Bad Tent:

p7607312dt.jpg - 30kB

Diver - 1-6-2011 at 08:30 PM

That picture of the "bad tent" reminds me of our first trip to Punta Chivato.
Just before dark, a little car pulls up and they start setting up a tent that looked just like that.
It was very windy and there was no wind break to be found.
After I went over to say hi and saw a young mom and infant, I sent my wife over to go get them.
We fed the wife in our camper while the young dad spend an hour trying to get the tent up.
In the morning when the tent was partially blown over, they came over for coffee and to get the sand out of ... everything.

Skipjack Joe - 1-6-2011 at 09:31 PM

Oh, another small suggestion for tent camping in the winter.

It gets dark at 5 and stays until 6:30. Nobody can sleep that long. Bring a propane lantern (or candle) with those cartridges (sold everywhere in baja). Don't try to get by with flashlights. Plan for evening activities (e.g., write journal, play backgammon with partner, read book, drink Rompopo).

Personally I don't think most of us sleep enough. You don't realize how tired you had been until you sleep a series of such 12 hour nights in baja. Come back to the states - and everything seems to be more in focus. You notice details you had never seen before. It's one of those subtle benefits of baja traveling that is seldom appreciated.

First Up Sand Bags

Bajaboy - 1-6-2011 at 09:53 PM

I picked some of these up and can't recommend them enough:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/First-Up-Sand-Bags/10237197

Ken Bondy - 1-6-2011 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Oh, another small suggestion for tent camping in the winter.

It gets dark at 5 and stays until 6:30. Nobody can sleep that long. Bring a propane lantern (or candle) with those cartridges (sold everywhere in baja). Don't try to get by with flashlights. Plan for evening activities (e.g., write journal, play backgammon with partner, read book, drink Rompopo).

Personally I don't think most of us sleep enough. You don't realize how tired you had been until you sleep a series of such 12 hour nights in baja. Come back to the states - and everything seems to be more in focus. You notice details you had never seen before. It's one of those subtle benefits of baja traveling that is seldom appreciated.

Igor you are an absolute GEM!!! I wish I had known you when we were younger.

[Edited on 1-7-2011 by Ken Bondy]

BajaDanD - 1-6-2011 at 11:42 PM

Ive used one of those "Bad Tents" for years lost the fly 5 years ago takes 10 minutes to set up even in the wind. I put a large rock inside in each corner then set it up. I use my truck and a tarp for a wind block. Its never blown over or colapsed. I never stake it down with four large rocks and a bunch of my gear is inside its not going anywhere. Camped all over Baja in it.

David K - 1-7-2011 at 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDanD
Ive used one of those "Bad Tents" for years lost the fly 5 years ago takes 10 minutes to set up even in the wind. I put a large rock inside in each corner then set it up. I use my truck and a tarp for a wind block. Its never blown over or colapsed. I never stake it down with four large rocks and a bunch of my gear is inside its not going anywhere. Camped all over Baja in it.

Same here... fast and easy... The air mattress & sleeping gear inside plus our clothes bag, is enough weight to keep it still... and when we're in there.. it ain't going anywhere (LOL)!

The tent Igor shows looks great... I like the entryway/ airlock idea! But, I am affraid to ask the cost of it... from REI probably? Dome tents for me and my kids are Wal Mart specials... and we have used them only in Baja and the desert... so no snow/ mountain stuff and that is probably why we get away with cheap stuff.

We keep it real simple... a sun shade and a tent on Shell Island. Photos from last 4th of July when Ken Cooke and Leidys arrived in the Jeep, and Art (edm-1) drove in his monster 4WD motorhome/ van.

roadhog - 1-7-2011 at 09:39 PM

Keeping track while prepping along the lower Colorado.
After Solstice Baja has cold snaps after the wave passes thru here. Guererro Negro was down to 60 at night. Was freezing here.
A Walmart nylon 40 degree bag, excellent best buy, needs help with a second bag below 50.
Cold lasts maybe thru January then spring.
See Church's book 'Baja Camping'

Root cause of winter baja winds

Skipjack Joe - 1-8-2011 at 05:12 AM

I am posting an image of Mojave, CA one day after crossing the border at Mexicali. There were snow flurries in Riverside that afternoon and lots of snow on the I15 pass to Victorville as well.

These kind of storms occur between mid Dec through February. They're responsible for the powerful winds in Northern baja that can make winter tent camping challenging. You can go to sleep in total stillness and wake up to 35mph winds by 11PM.

BTW, we hit a rain storm southbound that had caused flooding in the Victorville area 10 days before this storm. So they're not uncommon.

This is different from the daily 20mph winds you get on the Pacific side (e.g. Guerrero Negro). Although unpleasant to me, they are tolerable.

BAJA2010-020.jpg - 44kB

wilderone - 1-8-2011 at 09:21 AM

The main problem with those big tents in inclement weather - even if you manage to secure them adequately for wind conditions and rain intrusion - is that the airspace inside stays cold around you. In my small tent - which takes me about 7 minutes to put up - my body heat will keep the airspace warm enough; the overall rain fly will provide a double wall to keep out drafts. The Walmart $19.95 tent is fine for summer - you can even tie them down in a Baja wind - but for more serious weather, you need to employ other techniques if you want to be comfortable. I took my big cheap tent to a work project on the Olympic Peninsula - the rain forest - because I wanted to put all my gear inside - had stuff for a week. I brought one of those flimsy 9'x12' paint tarps, and draped it over the entire tent, extending beyond, and put rocks all around it to hold it down, put the little rain fly over that to keep it in place. Rained every night and during the day - worked perfectly - I was dry.

Winds in March

tripledigitken - 1-8-2011 at 09:29 AM

In 2006 we camped in Gonzaga Bay for a night while traveling down to whale watch in Guerrero Negro. Winds came up around sunset that howled. I don't know if they were 30mph or 50mph, but they sounded like a freight train. You can see in the photo that we used a wind shade to provide some wind protection for the camp stove. We had spent a long day driving from San Felipe and arrived in the late afternoon. We had bought some of those grande shrimps in SF and by god I was going to cook them that night. Strapping the shade tarp worked OK enough to toss those shrimps in butter and white wine, yum. The tent had the fly off in the photo, but it will take more winds than I would want to try to sleep through. Like Igor's comment it's fly comes all the way to the ground and will shed rain and snow. It's a lightweight model that i have used for years backpacking and motorcycle camping. Just big enough for two very close friends. :lol:

chrisx - 1-8-2011 at 07:20 PM

I have this one
http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/SeedhouseSL1
It works well in the wind.
I don't leave it out in the sun. UV rays damage the chemical coating that makes a tent water proof.
I selected this tent because it was the lightest available tent at the time. I also prefer the dull color, so as not to attract attention. Next year I will most likely get this one
http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreekUL1
If I had a motor bike instead of a pedal bike, I might choose
http://www.eurekamilitarytents.com/tents/tcop.cfm
a eureka military tent. available at finer army surplus stores
for car campers in baja. a walmart tent is good enough. with a car (emergency shelter) only steps away.
a 3 foot tent catches far less wind than a 5 or 6 foot tent.
on shorter summer hikes in the forest I use a
http://www.hennessyhammock.com/specs-hyperlite.html
note: their way of hanging a tarp is useful information

roadhog - 1-8-2011 at 08:10 PM

the tent prob is $$$. The four pole tent needs guying. Home Depot or Lowes has cord in colors. Get 100’ and 12” yellow plastic tent pegs. Use a magnus or horse tie knot on the poles or fly.
Kelty has several 2-3 man tents that hunker down with fly on during a 30 mph blow. Very aerodynamic. Delightful esp. the 80% screen tents.
If crafty, 1/8”+ ply triangles screwed to the 12”ers with a #6 machine screw and nut with blue locktite holds it down.
The expensive 5 or more pole 4 season tents are made to free stand on a shelf, bench, or narrow beach.
Buy several walmart plastic painters tarps for under the tent. Throw away when moving. Use a new one.
Park the car upwind if it doesn’t stink. A foldable beach chaise or aluminum foil gives a windscreen for a propane stove.
Try campmor.com or the REI store in Chula Vista – call to order 12”ers.
Bring freeze dried emergency food. Anti sting stick. Lip balm. Hat with chin string. Sunglasses from Yorketowne Optical.
Are there scorpions ?

wilderone - 1-9-2011 at 10:32 AM

This is a Eureka one person tent - has a vestibule which isn't staked out in this photo. Single wall, only 2.7 lbs. If I think it's going to be windy, I use extra lightweight cord to tie to rocks, bushes, trees, car door, or a stake. Been in an all-night rain and stayed dry. Cost $85 new on eBay. I buy only freestanding tents. You wouldn't need a $1000 4 pole tent unless you were going to Mt. McKinley or K2. You can use all sorts of things for ground cloths under a tent. One of my favorites is to go to a major furniture store and ask them for plastic that covers sofas and other large pieces of furniture. They throw them out, but is a wonderful source of plastic sheeting. The 99 cent store also has vinyl table cloths that work well. There are some curly-cue stakes about 13" long - supposed to be used to stake a dog leash in lawns - sometimes found at 99 cent stores - these are excellent stakes to use in sand.

chrisx - 1-9-2011 at 04:57 PM

The Eureka at under a 100 dollars looks fine for Baja.
Lately tyvek paper has become a popular footprint material.
4 season tents are great in frozen wonder lands.
http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/2-person.php
Hilleberg perhaps the best.
breathable would be important for non frozen wonder lands.

chrisx - 1-9-2011 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
. A foldable beach chaise or aluminum foil gives a windscreen for a propane stove.

Bring freeze dried emergency food.
Are there scorpions ?

Fuel bottles of any type should not be enclosed with a wind screen. They can over heat and explode!

If you have to carry water to rehydrate food, You have gained nothing by dehydrating it in the first place. Wonderful in Oregon, not Cativina

Yes. a friendly person with a giant knife will surely dig the stinger from the bottom of your foot, if you so desire.

motoged - 1-9-2011 at 06:04 PM

Newsflash:

Research recently from U of Manitoba (they know about cold !!! ) reports that about 10% of a person's heat is lost from their head....the majority is lost from the torso.

My cold camping experience leads me to sleep with warm dry wool socks (cotton is the enemy for cold/activity) and a wool toque with down bag and Thermarest pad...longjohns and top (merino wool is best) Sometimes naked in down bag is best as body heat is radiated quicker to down insulation...but it is a risky venture if you get something caught in a zipper ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
Just to point out that the whole 75% of your body heat going through your head is an old wives tale!

motoged - 1-9-2011 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
......We had 12" nails buried in the sand which did not hold. I ended up rolling large rocks in the night over the nails to keep the tent from flying off. .....

When I pitch a tent on sand, I look for rocks the size of a loaf of bread, tie the tie-down loops on tent to 4" of rope which I then wrap around the rock, and bury the rock under a foot of sand.

I do the same for fly sheet. I keep tent door zipped shut at all times to keep sand and critters out (don't want to wake up with a rattler warming itself on my chest when I wake up....or find scorpions in my clothing/shoes).:light:

chrisx - 1-9-2011 at 06:42 PM

75% = people in wool shirt, thick wool jacket, etc
and no hat

roadhog - 1-9-2011 at 09:00 PM

http://www.kelty.com/c-24-trail.aspx

screening allows you to be OUTSIDE.
It's a very entertaining design.
the fly goes to the ground, tent and fly position to windward.
With screening and aero fly, the design breathes well, moisture buildup is minimal.

chrisx - 1-10-2011 at 11:03 AM

for the rich
http://www.midgetcampers.com.au/
for the cartoon
http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/23/view/7287/kevin-cyr-...
so many tents to choose from

chrisx - 1-10-2011 at 11:07 AM

for one passeo
http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/8/view/9979/kevin-cyr-c...
note shoe shine kit under cart

chrisx - 1-10-2011 at 11:09 AM

not to worry don-kay we got you coveredhttp://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/9/view/6737/encore-heureux-g-studio-room-room-crossing-dialogues-for-emergency-architecture.html

Terry28 - 1-10-2011 at 04:54 PM

If it's windy and cold why go??? just saying...

sanquintinsince73 - 1-10-2011 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDanD

I would have never thought of that. What a great idea, the rock in each corner. My kids will love not having to stand on each corner while I figure out where the poles go.

chrisx - 1-11-2011 at 11:46 AM

for once all agree tents are a good thing

bkbend - 1-11-2011 at 11:56 AM

When beach camping and using a tent I carry a dozen 24" lengths of rebar for my staking needs. Then I don't need to find rocks or have the kids stand on corners.

mtgoat666 - 1-11-2011 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisx
for once all agree tents are a good thing

i don't agree. if night is nice and wind is low, tents are a bad thing.

Mexitron - 1-11-2011 at 12:38 PM

I never use a tent unless the rain or fog makes it necessary---like mtgoat said, there's so much beauty at night.

On the cold topic---my old friend Myron Smith was camping in winter on the beach south of San Quintin---he awoke to his friend's dog barking in the morning--its water bowl had frozen solid! Along the Pacific coast in winter it may usually only drop to the mid 40s but its still that wet cold that'll go through to your bones.
My cousin and I were camping near San Borja in the beginning of June---when we woke up at 6am it was 32 degrees...by 1pm it was in the 80s. So be prepared for anything---including hot weather!

GrOUper-GAr - 1-21-2011 at 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrider69
Thank you for the info on the campgrounds. I am making a trip in Jan./Feb. and would like to tent camp as much as possible. I can go down to 50 degrees at night before I freeze. Will the weather cooperate?

maYbe

(edited trying to put picture on)

[Edited on 1-21-2011 by GrOUper-GAr]

Punta-Willard-wind-99.jpg - 46kB

David K - 1-21-2011 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GrOUper-GAr
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrider69

maYbe

(edited trying to put picture on)

[Edited on 1-21-2011 by GrOUper-GAr]

Some help...

There are two methods... One is direct onto Nomad from your PC files, using the 'Browse' button under the normal posting box... In that case you can only post one photo per post AND it MUST be UNDER 50 kb. is file size. Since this is smaller than most all photos you have on you PC, you need to make a duplicate file with the photo size REDUCED to under 50 kb.

The BETTER way to show your photos is to hot link to them stored on another website... such as Photobucket.com. It is free (to a certain limit) and has an automatic resizing service... In this case, Nomad requests photos to not exceed 800 pixels in width.

On Photobucket, to upload from your PC,

1) click the red button 'Upload now'.

2) In the next window you see, at the bottom of the big box, in small blue letters, click: Customize your upload options

3) In the pop up see these choices (and more to resize to):
100x75
160x120
320x240
640x480
800x600
1024x768 ...
>>Pick 640x480 for most photos... this is the selection refered to as 'Large'.
>>Pick 800x600 for maps or max. detail images max. size to fit on 15" screens.

4) Select photos (press Select Photos button) from your PC to resize and store on Photobucket. You can have multiple files to organize them.

Now, to put on Nomad!

1) Place your mouse arrow over the photo you want and get a small pop up with some codes for linking them to various media.

See the one called 'IMG code'? Click your mouse on it to copy it.

2) On the Nomad posting box, paste that code.

You can have text above or below the image link... have several images perhaps a dozen max... and then do a reply post to add more... so as to not have too many on a single frame.

The photo url begins with http:// and ends with .jpg (usually) and the IMG code puts your photos url between the tags [img] and [/img]

If your photo is already on a web site, you can click this icon located above where you type onto Nomad (not quick reply):
and just put in the image url, and the tags are automatically added on to show your photo here.