BajaNomad

5th ANNUAL PRESIDENTS DAY RIDE REPORTS

bajalou - 2-21-2011 at 08:02 PM

At 9am Sunday Feb 20th, a group of 10 vehicles departed Roadrunner Cafe on Mex. Highway 5 for a trip to Cañon Diablo in the Sierra San Pedro Matir mountains. Jeeps, pickups, a RZR and assorted types headed for a mountain capped with snow. Nomads and friends from the South Camps. About 5 miles up the road they were meet by 5 more buggies etc., friends of mine from Rancho El Dorado.

Since I have been around here a while and had scouted the trail, I was in front with Baja Warrier bringing up the rear.

Around 10a the first break at what's locally known as the fossil beds, a area strewn with shards of various sea shells, and other interesting stuff. 20 min later we're off again, next stop - the overlook - a Kodak spot for the Valle San Felipe and the mountains to the west. By now the peaks were obscured by clouds so no pictures of the peaks with snow.

Continuing down to the valley and across the old watermelon fields, a bit of race road and we're on one of the dry lakes. It had rained the day before enough to keep most of the dust down but not enough to cause problems with mud. The army truck with the Sargent and 4 soldiers stopped us and made a very thorough check of the 15 vehicles. Then we're off to a road winding toward our destination.

Arrived at the parking spot just before 12 noon and most got ready to hike up to the falls and maybe beyond to the pools. A few of us stayed behind visited and ate our lunch while the explorers were gone. We impressed them to return by 2p which is enough tome to make the trip. They need to eat lunch and then head back to San Felipe, hoping to be back to the highway by 4p.

At 2p looks like they all had returned and BajaRob was getting his grill going with shrimp and fillets, others broke out what they had for lunch and we were relaxing when someone noticed Tim was not here. He had come by himself, so no partner to wonder about him. It was now 230p and after a few minutes scratching our heads, decided to begin a search. Only people with handheld radios were to search as we didn't want more people lost. 6 people across the hill via various paths, and a couple in vehicles heading down around the hill to the riverbed to the east. Horn honking, back and forth conversations, up and down the river bed and no Tim.

At about 330p I decided we had better try to get some help, so El Comadante Loco and I drove out to the soldiers camp and asked for help. Wornout radioed us the GPS coordinates of where the group was parked so there would be no mistaking where we were. The Sargent said he would radio for permission to search and we went back to the group.

By then the searchers were back and as it was getting late in the day some wanted to head back to town. Wornout volunteered to lead them back, so they packed up and 5 of us got ready to spend the night by a fire there in case he wandered in. We also planned a signal fire on the hill so it could be seen from the riverbed.

Wornout and group headed out and 7 of us circle the wagons around a fire and got ready for a long night. TW and El Comadante Loco were planning to stay a while, then head out later.

¡Eureka! a radio call from Wornout and group that they met with the army truck and they had found Tim. He had walked 5 1/4-6 miles east to a road across the dry lake and the army had found him there and was bringing him back to us. We told them to go to José's tienda and we would come down and meet them there. Baja cat had planned to head back to San Diego from the canyon as had to get one of his children back for school today, but with Tim missing he changed the plan and decided he would stay and see this through.

We packed up and headed down to José's and had sodas and Tecates and expressed our relief to have Tim back OK. It was cold, probably down to about 38 out there last night, too cold for a man in shorts.

The soldiers needed Tim's name and a picture so they could show the headquarters in Tijuana that they had made the rescue.

Gathered up and headed down the hill and the rest is history. 15 vehicles out, 15 vehicles back. ?? people out and the same back. A successful run.

I'll leave it to other Nomads to post some pictures.

[Edited on 2-22-2011 by bajalou]

bajalou - 2-21-2011 at 08:39 PM

The blue line is our auto route, the red is Tim's walk (estimated). The black circle is where we met the army with Tim.

The gray area between the left end of red and blue lines is a very rocky cactus covered hill about 20 ft high you have to cross to get to the Diablo stream bed.

The red line is about 5 1/2 miles straight, but I'm sure he didn't walk very straight

surfer jim - 2-21-2011 at 08:42 PM

Any details on how/why he got seperated from the group?

bajalou - 2-21-2011 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim

I didn't talk to him myself, so can't answer your question, but this was about 20 people, which broke up into several smaller groups by speed and ability of getting over the rough ground. No drill Sargents here.

BAJACAT - 2-21-2011 at 10:06 PM

Thanks Lou, for all the help to put this together,Bajawarrior,Hook,BorregoMan,Tw and all other peoples names that I can remember now.It was a great trip with a perfect ending..a good excuse to expend another day in San Felipe...pictures tomorrow today Im too tired .
Also a found very cool Metate under a Big rock that creates a cave when it's in contac with the other rocks..

BAJACAT - 2-21-2011 at 10:27 PM

HAPPY ENDING, TIM RETURNS WITH THE ARMY

HERE IS TIM ALIVE AND WELL

bajalou - 2-21-2011 at 10:32 PM

Before he was found we had also arranged for a Search and Rescue group of Jeepers from San Felipe to be out there to begin a search at first light today. We were really glad to be able to call that one off.

BajaRob - 2-22-2011 at 08:06 AM

After Tim was found and I hugged him I told him he wasn't coming out again without a LoJack on his burro. A happy ending to a potentially serious situation.

BajaRob - 2-22-2011 at 08:18 AM

I drove Tim's RZR out to Jose's tienda without lights. The headlights had one setting, bright, and I was blinding Lou with them on. Lo siento Lou.

BajaRob - 2-22-2011 at 10:23 AM

Tim Wing is not a Nomad so he will not be posting his version here.

David K - 2-22-2011 at 10:25 AM

Thanks Rob... give him credit for trying to become a Nomad, however! Walking across the desert towards a dry lake bed should count for something! ;D

NO DRILL SARGENTS

racheldarlin - 2-22-2011 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim

I didn't talk to him myself, so can't answer your question, but this was about 20 people, which broke up into several smaller groups by speed and ability of getting over the rough ground. No drill Sargents here.

There should have been someone in charge. If you organize an event you are responsible, morally and legally, for everything that happens. There is no excuse for not knowing how many people are there at all times, their experience, and making sure they have proper equipment. Tim wasn't the only lucky person last Sunday.

Glad it all worked out.

Barry A. - 2-22-2011 at 01:00 PM

It's thinking like Rachael's that keeps me from EVER organizing any "event". Scary!!!!!

I travel alone, or with one or two others-----------Who needs stress and responsibility when in Baja? People need to take responsibility for themselves-------but stuff does happen, and we all need to help when it does. "Blame" is a useless practice, IMO.

Barry

bajalou - 2-22-2011 at 01:16 PM

Hi racheldarlin,

Thank you for your comments.

I see you have developed a fine sense of protecting people from themselves. But since I don't think you were there, you really don't know what was done to allow people to have a enjoyable day in a new place.

But following you're reasoning, I'd like to offer a couple of analogy.

1. You find a great restaurant in Alpine and invite several friends to join you for dinner, driving up from San Diego. "Exit on Tavern Road and turn right to get to the restaurant" you tell them before you get on the road. One of them exits but turns left and continues several miles before deciding that might not be the right way. They attempt to turn around and go off the road, damaging their car and have to call for a tow truck. Now following your logic, I believe you are legally and morally responsible for their auto repairs as well as the tow changes. Don't you agree?

2. You all get to the restaurant with no problems, but while dining one person lodges a piece of steak in their windpipe, collapses and a ambulance has to be called and a few hours spent in the emergency room. Again, don't you think you are responsible for the ambulance and ER costs?

I think people have a right to personal choices, and with it comes personal responsibility.

racheldarlin - 2-22-2011 at 01:45 PM

Barry,

I, too, travel mostly alone but I have survival training and years of practicing it along with Search and Rescue that I can take risks that others with less training or experience can.

Having said that, I never forget that Mother Nature doesn't care about my training or experience. One screw up could be my last and then I would be one of those people you read about that loved ones say - " I don't understand. He/She WAS such an experienced hiker, climber, off-roader, (you fill in the blank.)"

You are right about my attitude. I think things do not just happen. Bad or Good. If you make it home safely it is because you made the right decisions or choices. It didn't just happen. If you don't make it home safely well.....

I apply the same attitude when I choose to travel with others. If I assure myself they know what they are doing and we are a team with a designated LEADER - Cool. If not-I go my own way.

Tim made it home safely because others made some good decisions that saved him. He got in that position of having to be saved, not only because of his bad decisions but because nobody wanted to be a "drill sargent (sic)."

I'm talking about responsibility here.

I feel confident that had it turned out differently some, if not all, would be "blaming" themselves. Nobody else would have to.

I am sure they are all, even Tim, very nice people. Just more than a little foolish this time.

racheldarlin - 2-22-2011 at 01:56 PM

Lou,

I don't know what to say. If you think an invitation to dinner in San Diego is that same as a trip into the desert. ????????

Glad you had a good time and everybody made it back - this time.

Barry A. - 2-22-2011 at 02:19 PM

Rachael----------We just see things radically differently. I can tell that I am not going to change your mind, and I KNOW that you will not change mine, on this subject anyway. I believe in personal responsibility, period. I don't see Tim (and I was NOT there, of course) as somebody who made bad choices, or even necessarily bad decisions-----it looks to me like he walked down the wrong wash, which is so easy to do in the desert, especially THAT desert. I have done it myself. Nobody abandoned him, and proper actions took place to find him. No problem. He most likely, at this time of year, would have eventually been picked up by somebody once he reached the dry lake, just like actually happened.

This was not a paid "tour", it was a gathering of friends and like-minded people out for a day trip, or so it seems to me. Personally I carry 6 handi-talkies for trips like this, so that everybody can stay in touch as my family invariably scatters all over the place like a herd of cats. But that is just me----people have to make their own decisions------It totally ruins the experience for me if there is a "drill sargeant" calling the shots---------.

The trip ended just fine----------end of story. (for me, anyway)

(professionally I led dozens of trips like these when I was working as a Ranger------that was an entirely different situation)

Barry

bajalou - 2-22-2011 at 02:23 PM

Tim is a full time Baja resident, familiar with the desert and these conditions - his first trip to this canyon,m but not his first trip into the desert. A friend of Nomads in the south campos.

Barry A. - 2-22-2011 at 02:33 PM

Quote:
Tim is a full time Baja resident, familiar with the desert and these conditions - his first trip to this canyon,m but not his first trip into the desert. A friend of Nomads in the south campos.

Sounds like a fine day-trip, Lou, with a little kicker in the end. All's well that ended well. Really liked your description, and the photos. Hopefully Tim's experience just whetted his appetite for more fun in the back country--------only now he has learned some stuff, and will be more careful next time, but we all make similar mistakes from time to time----or at least I do. :lol:

I love my handi-talkies-------just takes a lot of the possible worries out of a trip like this, tho I have one son who always turns his radio off. Nice!!!! :no:

Barry

Rachael

BajaRob - 2-22-2011 at 02:41 PM

You are clueless. Once that we realized that Tim had not returned at the planned time, we made locating him our only priority. Search teams hiked east and west in the canyon and Chick and Warren set out in their vehicles. We who live here are capable and independent souls and we accept personal responsibility. We are here because we do not want to live in a nanny state. Hell, even if you had lost your way, we would not leave the desert until you were found. It's how we operate here.

mtgoat666 - 2-22-2011 at 02:49 PM

Group leaders of trips like this do take on some responsibility for group safety. Ya, people did not pay for a tour, but some participants probably came with an expectation that someone was leading the group. If that was not the case, the trip organizer(s) should have put disclaimers in their emails and nomad posts saying that the trip was "dog eat dog everybody for themselves."

When I am in wilderness with group of mixed abilities/knowledge (or any group), I always make sure people in group know what to do if they get separated from group. I would not participate in any group that did not have basic safety in mind.

Glad nobody died. Sounds like the military saved the day. Perhaps we can ship those boys to stanland to find that OBL that our GIs can't find! Sounds like Tim needs a wilderness navigation lesson!

racheldarlin - 2-22-2011 at 03:00 PM

David

I agree. I rarely travel with those I don't know. With your maps etc. you would be the designated navigator:lol::lol: Although there would be a second to keep you honest. If I travel with someone I don't know I will politely find out his/her strengths/weaknesses. In Baja, if they didn't have water I would make sure they did before we left base.

Barry

At the end of every trip, I think a informal debriefing/critique should take place over beers. What did we need that we didn't have? Who was the weak link and how could he/she be made stronger or better equipped? Blah, blah. And there is a difference between a drill sergeant and a leader. As a Ranger or just a buddy you would be the latter.

Lou

I knew I would catch heat for my replies and I am not trying to hurt your feelings. You got the guy home and kudos to all for that. I just saw glaring errors that should be noted for next year.

David K - 2-22-2011 at 03:06 PM

Maybe see how the President's Day event got started, and see it is only a fun and casual run... originally to Shell Island on Saturday and Matomi Canyon on Sunday... the only hiking was short distances not far from our 4x4s...

2001: http://vivabaja.com/shell and http://vivabaja.com/matomi

2004: http://vivabaja.com/204

BajaRob - 2-22-2011 at 03:09 PM

You two Genius Monday Morning Quarterbacks just don't get it. We don't do the "Trailboss" thingy here. We all take responsibility for ourselves and all the others.

racheldarlin - 2-22-2011 at 03:10 PM

Rob

Again

You did a great job in saving the guy.

Barry A. - 2-22-2011 at 03:31 PM

If the truth be known, it sounds to me like Rachael and the Goat really do need somebody to take care of them-------and that is fine, but I think it is THEIR responsibility to let the other folks in any group with them know about how potentially helpless they could be------these folks could sue you-------lordy, the nanny-state mentality makes me shudder--------what have some of us become????????? :no:

Barry

Barry

BajaRob - 2-22-2011 at 03:35 PM

Thank you and you will be most welcome on any future trips.

racheldarlin - 2-22-2011 at 03:45 PM

OOOOOh

I hurt some feelings

BajaRob - 2-22-2011 at 04:01 PM

You did not hurt my feelings. I was there and I know what we did. It's what we always do. We watch out for and take care of our trailmates. It's just frustrating when wannabes who wern't there want to pass judgement. I'm done

Barry A. - 2-22-2011 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by racheldarlin
OOOOOh

I hurt some feelings

Rachael-------No, that could not be further from the truth. What you said does not "hurt our feelings", it is just amazing to some of us when taken in context. But I assume you are sincere.

I'm done too.

I love that whole area below the Sierra San Pedro Martir, and it's magnificant canyons-------BIG country!!! Easy to get micro-lost in, and have been many times------that is part of it's charm.

Barry

surfer jim - 2-22-2011 at 04:20 PM

I THOUGHT I was just asking a simple question while waiting for more photos/trip details to come in. :(

Wonder where this is headed now......:rolleyes:

David K - 2-22-2011 at 04:23 PM

Jim, I think it is done... ;)

All's well that ends well...

I am only sorry that I wasn't able to be there this year... that way goat and others could blame me for someone walking off (I am used to it here on Nomad)!:rolleyes:

racheldarlin - 2-22-2011 at 04:29 PM

Jim

I learned early on you cannot say good morning in this forum without starting an argument.

Done

Barry A. - 2-22-2011 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Jim

I learned early on you cannot say good morning in this forum without starting an argument.

Done

------and just WHAT do you mean by THAT???????

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

(Now done, fini, end-----out of here)

racheldarlin - 2-22-2011 at 04:48 PM

Touche:lol:

BajaWarrior - 2-22-2011 at 05:05 PM

This thread is already ruined by a few that we're not even there so how can they judge? An unfortunate event happened that was very serious to those of us who attended and we dealt with it in every positive way. This thread is to share our experiences this past weekend and not up to debate so get the HEdoublehockeysticks off.

Pictures and story to follow...
Sample: Heading out to our destination in Diablo Canyon

mtgoat666 - 2-22-2011 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
If the truth be known, it sounds to me like Rachael and the Goat really do need somebody to take care of them
---

ma ma?

ma ma!?

MA MA !

David K - 2-22-2011 at 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
This thread is already ruined by a few that we're not even there so how can they judge? An unfortunate event happened that was very serious to those of us who attended and we dealt with it in every positive way. This thread is to share our experiences this past weekend and not up to debate so get the HEdoublehockeysticks off.

Pictures and story to follow...
Sample: Heading out to our destination in Diablo Canyon

Chuck, right below where you click to uplaod photos onto Photobucket, can you click this:
Customize your upload options
and select at least one size bigger photo?
All these will fit on Nomad without stretching the screen, 640x480 is the friendliest I think... They do NOT need to be below 50 kbs when coming from Photobucket. The photo above is only 221 pixels wide.

100x75
160x120
320x240
640x480
800x600

[Edited on 2-23-2011 by David K]

bajalou - 2-22-2011 at 05:45 PM

Some of the gang at our first stop.

Clouds obscuring Diablo and other mountains from our second stop.

As you can see, this is not a secret place up winding obscure trails, It's typical baja dirt roads all the way. In fact the canyon is visited by 100+ people every month of the year, year in and year out.

BajaWarrior - 2-22-2011 at 05:54 PM

DK,

That was only a cell phone shot, the rest are on my wife's camera which her son Geoff took over 200 photos, pretty much got everything and everyone.

wornout - 2-22-2011 at 07:24 PM

Had a great time yesterday Lou. I feel really good when you found out my dune buggy problem just before getting home was a bad rotor.

I did good staying away from the prior posts in this thread as your first signature line pretty much says it all si I wasn't going there.

David K - 2-22-2011 at 07:35 PM

Quote:
DK,

That was only a cell phone shot, the rest are on my wife's camera which her son Geoff took over 200 photos, pretty much got everything and everyone.

Cool!:cool:

David K - 2-22-2011 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Some of the gang at our first stop.

Clouds obscuring Diablo and other mountains from our second stop.

As you can see, this is not a secret place up winding obscure trails, It's typical baja dirt roads all the way. In fact the canyon is visited by 100+ people every month of the year, year in and year out.

Lou, that is a really beautiful view of the valley! If you can upload at a larger size, it would be great to see!

bajalou - 2-22-2011 at 07:43 PM

I'll put it in a different thread so as not to screw up viewing of this one.

Hook - 2-22-2011 at 08:39 PM

I went on the trip. And I have to say, there were some mistakes made. By the group and especially by Tim. Yeah, Baja is all about being personally responsible. But that doesnt mean you throw sound safety practices out the window.

While we were in our cars, we were a fully synchronized wagon train, as it were. We had an assigned leader, a tail gunner and a midshipman who regularly checked in as they passed landmarks. We knew the number of our vehicles and we monitored it continuously via radio.

But when it came time for the hike, we had no leader and really no buddy system. The leader of the caravan did not do the hike. We should have had a point and a tail gunner, despite the varying speeds of hikers. There should always be someone at the rear, willing to go as slow as necessary, to bookend a group of about 20 hikers. This is not like hiking with 4-5 people you know. This was 20 or so people who did not know each other or their level of hiking skills. We should have been more organized about it.

Our route into Diablo Canyon was moderately difficult for many on foot and we had some people in their 60s and 70s. Although some in the caravan had been into the canyon before along the designated, ducked, orange taped route, somehow the group was allowed to begin on a different route that was often cross-country bushwacking over what looked like a granite moraine edge, consisting of boulders from 1-10 feet in diameter.

Bushwacking in this area consisted of dealing with tightly bunched vegetation consisting of 4 types of cholla, prickly pear, cardon, mesquite, palo verde, creosote, torote, rabbit brush, desert lavender, etc. In all my years of desert travel, this might have been the lushest of all deserts I have ever seen. It was more densely packed and had more variety that the desert region north of the BOLA turnoff. And the trees and cardon were of such size that, when combined with the granite boulders, you could literally be 20 feet away from someone and not see them at all.

So, the terrain was moderately difficult. But taking that unmarked, part cross country way IN made for a difficult route to find again on the way out. I believe this was a large contributing factor in Tim not finding the way back. For some reason, he decided to head back to camp much earlier than anyone else. I dont know if he told anyone he was doing this. I did hear that, at one point, others heading back caught up to him and he turned to them and jokingly said "dont follow me, I dont know where I'm going". Well, if it was a joke, it was also prophetic. The group that caught up to him eventually turned off onto the correct path and he apparently continued on down-wash ahead of them.

So, to summarize the group's failings in my mind:

1-we werent shown the easy route in, complicating finding it on the return trip
2-we had no organized structure
3-we should have collected everyone together for the return trip, as we were on a time schedule.

There is no one person's fault. It was the group's fault (some of whom had lots of hiking experience, including myself) for not doing this. For my part, I was under the false impression that this was an easy hike and didnt need this type of organization. It was not easy.

Well, it wasn't easy UNTIL many of us found the GOOD, MARKED route (much by accident) when we returned. Tim obviously missed this route.............but Tim had never seen this route. He, like the rest of us, took a much fainter route in that forced us over a much steeper section of that moraine. We should have been shown the main route in.

Still, good personal responsibility would have saved Tim from walking 6 miles instead of two. When we inspected his vehicle back at camp, we found a water bottle, A HANDHELD MARINE RADIO (that MANY of us were carrying on the hike) and his jacket. Just carrying that radio would have saved a lot of searching and worry.

Also critical was his decision to head back without any escort and possibly without letting anyone know he was leaving. (Did he tell anyone?) He also chose to continue hiking downstream with no one coming upon him from the rear, even with his slow speed. Right then and there, when he had been hiking for at least a half hour from where the return route came out of the wash, he should have turned back until he encountered the others. Not a good decision.

And, finally, during the groups search and rescue mode (which I thought we were pretty organized at) we sent vehicles to cut the wash well below where the return route climbed out of the wash. Unfortunately, these vehicles must have almost certainly missed his tracks in the wash. But they insisted that he couldn't have gone that way because they were adamant that THERE WERE NO TRACKS in the sand. Well, he DID go that way. Some of us wanted to walk that downwash area to search for tracks after the vehicles returned but the drivers were insistent that there were no tracks to see. In my mind, there must have been.

So, the best way to regard this whole experience is to learn from the mistakes made by the group and the individual. That's what I'm going to do. No reason to get defensive about it. WE all made mistakes. WE didn't have to pay for them this time. An inexpensive lesson, really.

Hey, it was still lots of fun. Great, great area. If I still lived in the vicinity, I would be hitting that area often. Bet it's REALLY nice in late March or early April. Thanks to all the organizers. I drove 660 miles IN ONE DIRECTION to make this trip. And 660 miles back. It was idiotic, stupid, expensive; another bad personal decision. :lol:

But, all in all, good memories.................and a good lesson.:yes:

BajaWarrior - 2-22-2011 at 09:51 PM

Here you go, this is what we did this past weekend...
http://s508.photobucket.com/albums/s326/BajaWarrior_photos/P...

Hit "reverse order" for correct order in slideshow view.

Enjoy.

[Edited on 2-23-2011 by BajaWarrior]

surfer jim - 2-22-2011 at 09:54 PM

Thanks for taking the time for writing the details. I often wonder how hikers get lost in the desert/mountains in SoCal. It really isn't that hard to do. Just takes a few "bad" choices.

BAJACAT - 2-22-2011 at 10:00 PM

What happen, this was a happy thread yesterday and I log in today and wow.
but it's ok everybody has a different opinion,so back to the story.I will port my pix tomorrow I came late from work today and don't have the energy to do it, I will send all the photos to photobucket and I will do my version tomorrow.

PS. I want to belive that we are all grown ups, mistake happen on this trip, but we didn't mean to do them, Yes it was a happy ending, no it's not necesary to do the WHAT IF game, Tim was found and thats what counts, the people that stay behind just had enough food for one day outing, but they never thought about twice when they where ask to speend the night.. there is alot details that people that didn't participated in this trip ignore, WE search for him with out taking a rest for two hours,,friends of Tim and people that didn't know him , worry the same...so just enjoy the trip report and leave the negativity for another time....

BajaWarrior - 2-22-2011 at 10:52 PM

Well, I can say that myself and my Family had a great time, but yes, that turned to misery when my friend Tim was lost in the late afternoon.

After two hours of searching with at least 14 men each with VHF radios we fell silent and didn't know what to do. During that search BajaLou contacted the Army for help and so they were aware of the situation and calling in to get permission to help.

It was decided that some would stay the night and most would go home and some of them like me and BajaRob and others would return the next morning for another search.

Those that stayed were given food and drink for all who participated and down the hill we went. We, my wife and step son drove on to catch up with the others as we had left 5 minutes late. It only took me a couple of minutes to decide that my wife and her son should go on with my friends and neighbors Rob and Cynthia and that I would go back to join the others at our Base Camp for the night. I radio'd that information to the Convoy leader who was Nomad Wornout and they stopped and waited for us to catch up.

Once we showed up my friend Rob cleared his back seat to make room for his added passengers. My wife kissed and hugged me goodnight and at that moment the Army truck came roaring up and low and behold, TIM stepped out of the cab of the truck.

There was an explosion of laughter and cries and I rushed in to be the first to hug TIM and welcome him back to the group. The rest of the group followed with good wishes and hugs and we had TIM back.

I called back to Base Camp to give them the news and they asked for confirmation. I said "I just gave the man a hug!" and they broke camp and came down the grade to meet us.

I can only hope my last minute decision while driving in silence into the dusk before nightfall created the Karma we needed to deliver our friend to safety.

I knew TIM from work over 10 years ago and encouraged him to visit with me to my Baja home one weekend and he fell in love with the place. He bought a funky old beach house filled with a lifetime of treasures and retired from his job all within two weeks then ultimatley selling his home in San Diego County to live nearly full time in Baja and also Minnesota in the summers where TIM has many family members.

TIM, I'm honored to call you my friend.

Chuck Cherry

[Edited on 2-23-2011 by BajaWarrior]

racheldarlin - 2-23-2011 at 06:58 AM

Hook

You are a ray of sunshine. Thanks for your detailed report and analysis.

BajaWarrior

Great photos.

TMW - 2-23-2011 at 09:03 AM

I had a great time. Going up the canyon people were walking in groups, some 2 or 3 other 4 or 5 etc. I was among the last going up with Fred, Manny, Rudy and Bajawarrior was the rear guard. Coming back Tim took off among the first couple of people to leave. Later one of the lady's who was following him said he told her don't follow me I don't know where I'm going so she waited for others to catch up with her. Several of us stayed back until all were on their way back. Rudy, Fred, Manny and I followed Bajacat and his group back.

I think the mistake made was in Tim not staying in eye contact with the other hikers. He did going in but not coming out. We probably should have made that clear before we took off. He probably thought he made it in so it can't be that hard coming out. The turn coming out was a clearly marked large painted rock and right turn arrow at the side of the wash. He must have been out of the main wash by then and did not see the sign.

Hook - 2-23-2011 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
What happen, this was a happy thread yesterday and I log in today and wow.
but it's ok everybody has a different opinion,so back to the story.I will port my pix tomorrow I came late from work today and don't have the energy to do it, I will send all the photos to photobucket and I will do my version tomorrow.

PS. I want to belive that we are all grown ups, mistake happen on this trip, but we didn't mean to do them, Yes it was a happy ending, no it's not necesary to do the WHAT IF game, Tim was found and thats what counts, the people that stay behind just had enough food for one day outing, but they never thought about twice when they where ask to speend the night.. there is alot details that people that didn't participated in this trip ignore, WE search for him with out taking a rest for two hours,,friends of Tim and people that didn't know him , worry the same...so just enjoy the trip report and leave the negativity for another time....

Sorry, Jose, I cant agree. There are lessons to be learned from the negative things that happened on the hike. Why hide them or ignore them, just for the sake of keeping things "happy"?

I dare say that all the participants will be taking a short day hike in a group much more seriously in the future. THAT might be the most "happy" thing to come out of the weekend.

Thanks Hook

BajaRob - 2-23-2011 at 10:13 AM

For putting our trip in perspective. It was a pleasure to meet and travel with you. Happy Trails, Rob

Hook - 2-23-2011 at 10:18 AM

Hey, Chuck, I am curious. Did Tim walk all the way to the military checkpoint or did they find him while they were conducting their OWN search or ?????

The last I heard was that the military was requesting permission to help searching but we never heard any confirmation as to whether they were granted permission.

bajalou - 2-23-2011 at 10:39 AM

He was located by the military on a road in the dry lake north of the point where we hit the road. They were granted permission to search as soon as they contacted their headquarters in Tia Juana.

Great Trip!

Borregoman - 2-23-2011 at 02:30 PM

Just a note to say what a wonderful time I had this past long weekend. Going to the Sulfer Mine on Saturday lead by BajaWarrior with BajaKat and Hook, followed by a fine dinner and conversations at BajaRob's. Putting faces to names on the Board really makes a difference.

Very nice to meet you BajaWarrior, Geoff took some outstanding pictures, he has a real talent there.

I throughly enjoyed meeting all the rest of the Nomads for the Sunday run. You just never know what an average day might turn into!

It was nice to see my best friend Hook, make the 650 mile trip to join us. His post on the event, in my estimation, summed it up perfectly....live an learn, that is what living is all about.

We look forward to seeing more of all you in the days, months, years ahead.

Thanks!

BajaWarrior - 2-23-2011 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Hook

You are a ray of sunshine. Thanks for your detailed report and analysis.

BajaWarrior

Great photos.

My step son Geoff (14 y.o.) who many of you now know took the photos with my wife's whiz bang Canon so credit goes to this aspiring young photographer. I'll pass on the compliment, thanks

BajaWarrior - 2-23-2011 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Borregoman
Just a note to say what a wonderful time I had this past long weekend. Going to the Sulfer Mine on Saturday lead by BajaWarrior with BajaKat and Hook, followed by a fine dinner and conversations at BajaRob's. Putting faces to names on the Board really makes a difference.

Very nice to meet you BajaWarrior, Geoff took some outstanding pictures, he has a real talent there.

I throughly enjoyed meeting all the rest of the Nomads for the Sunday run. You just never know what an average day might turn into!

It was nice to see my best friend Hook, make the 650 mile trip to join us. His post on the event, in my estimation, summed it up perfectly....live an learn, that is what living is all about.

We look forward to seeing more of all you in the days, months, years ahead.

Thanks!

BorregoMan and V.

Glad we finally hooked up, good friendship formed there!

Hook, you driving stud you! 660 miles is very impressive for a weekend away, just my style.

El Commadante Loco, what can I say? A great guy, full of life with a real cool attitude. I'll see ya sometime at KM. 43, we'll have a beer together...

BajaCat, damn man, part mountain goat, part bull dozer! I want this man looking for me if I ever get lost!

BajaLou, thanks for helping organize this event, your a real pro!

BajaRob, our pre-run the week before was just as fun as this past weeks run. I'm glad we've become good friends.

Wornout, I think we met a few years ago on an earlier trip? You know the desert well, nice to meet you again, see ya soon I hope.

The gang from El Dorado, very nice to meet you and spend a glorious day in the desert with you.

DanOver, another real desert pro, hopefully we'll all ride again soon.

My friends Rob and Cynthia and dog Patch, good friends and neighbors, always up for a adventure.

Tim, when's the next desert ride? I wanna come down and see your latest project sometime. Oh, and I'll take another beer.

I didn't miss anyone did I?

Next year, Calamuje for a fish fry and drop off supplies to Coco. (Suggested by BajaRob?) I'm in!

BW

David K - 2-23-2011 at 05:07 PM

That is a very nice reply to everyone Chuck! Good on yah!

CALAMAJUE sounds like a great plan!

Thank you Chuck

BajaRob - 2-23-2011 at 06:20 PM

Very well said. I am sorry that this thread took a negative twist. Our trip was one of the best examples of how we pull together and watch out for each other.

[Edited on 2-24-2011 by BajaRob]

BAJACAT - 2-24-2011 at 09:16 PM

I will not do atrip report story Hook and Bajalou and the others did a great job, I just will share my pix with you guys with some coutes and info.
we left San Diego, in the rain, nothing was going to keep me from this trip. it rain all the way to the MEX 5 conection..

Arrive at 8:50 got our room at HOTEL CARIBE 700 pesos for a 2 queen bed bethroom.Next day to Chucks house in Playa Hermosa for our trip to the sulfur mine.

After the trip to the mine the other where to gather at BajaRobs house for dinner, I promisse my wife dinner at SF , so we headed to town to have dinner at ROSITAS..

Everytime I go to SF I try a new place, last time we ate ain El Minuto Bajalou's favorite.This time we try our luck at FUENTE DE SODAS KARINAS, is located in Calle Ensenada and Mar Mediterraneo, two blocks west of Hotel Caribe, we ate there for 3 day.Sheap and good food also good service.

On Sunday I was ready to what it turn to be a great trip...
I bunch of Baja lovers got ready to have some fun and meet some new friends...

At the fossil site

Almost there...

At the Army check point, they check every single car. Who knew that they will make our day latter on the day.

We finally got to Diblo canyon and got ready to hike to the water falls.

On our back to camp me and mi wife found a grindding stone hidden in a rock formation, really cool stuff.

For our last day in SF, we change el Caribe hotel for Hacienda de Don Jesus, also west off Caribe, 600 pesos for a 2 queen bed room.

Finally we are leaving SF, but we don't want to go, we want to stay all week, but we have to go back to work:fire:

I went back to SD the same way Mex 5 to Tecate via Kuaguna Salada toll rd, at la Rumorosa we found that the last storm left a white blanket in town, got to the gas station and they had run out of fuel, don't forget to top off your tank anytime you have a chance while in Baja, I had a quater of a tank left so I drove 30 km to the next gas station.

With a 20 minute border wait at Tecate I was in San Diego at 1:00pm,yes back to work and reality.
I want to thank all the people that made this trip possible.
BAJALOU, for all the planning and help and for being our guide.
BAJAWARRIOR, for all the help in making this happen.
BAJAROB, just for being your self, a great guy.
BORREGOMAN, nice meeting you and your wife(great people)
TW, sorry your Chevy couldn't keep up with my DODGE..:lol:
HOOK, what can I say, you are the man, 600+ miles to do this trip..thanks
EL COMANDANTE LOCO,we didn't talk a whole lot but it was great meeting you'.
JERONIMO, Jose I like your ride the nice yellow TOYO, Landcruiser (*74)..
To many people to mention and names that right now escape my mind, I t wasn't my intention to forget anyone..thanks all for this trip and who could forget TIM.. this man has alot courage to be lost in the desert and be so cool when he was return to us by the Army, I will hike with you anytime, but I will tight my self to your ankel:lol::lol:

THATS IS IT FOLKS SEE YOU NEXT YEAR IN THE CALAMAJUE & COCO'S CORNER NOMAD TRAIL RIDE.THANKS TO BAJAROB FOR THIS IDEA.....................................................................

Barry A. - 2-24-2011 at 11:14 PM

Really great report and pics, Cat. It looks like a really wonderful weekend, for sure. Brought back a LOT of memories, the Sulfur Mine and Diablo canyon in particular.
Thanks again, Cat.
Barry

TMW - 2-25-2011 at 09:25 AM

Great Pictures Jose. Seeing the grinding stone makes me wish I had went a little further.

["TW, sorry your Chevy couldn't keep up with my DODGE.."]

Now wait just a minute :no:

Hook - 2-25-2011 at 10:01 AM

Borregoman and his wife????? Uh-oh, pressure is on now. :lol:

David K - 2-25-2011 at 10:08 AM

Great photos Jose!

Coco's/Calamajue

BajaRob - 2-25-2011 at 02:55 PM

sounds great. Does anyone know if there is a camp spot near the beach?

bajalou - 2-25-2011 at 03:25 PM

Reports are that the beach is not a good place to camp. Drug smugglers have taken it over at different times so kind of suspect.

BajaWarrior - 2-25-2011 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Reports are that the beach is not a good place to camp. Drug smugglers have taken it over at different times so kind of suspect.

Lou,

any other ideas for a day's drive?

BajaRob - 2-25-2011 at 05:42 PM

Thanks Lou, we have a year to plan. I've ordered a LoJack from Amazon for you know who. Tim did buy our tacos at El General Sunday night.

bajalou - 2-25-2011 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Lou,

any other ideas for a day's drive?

I'll be thinking about it. Something good will come up.

David K - 2-25-2011 at 06:08 PM

Berrendo Canyon was nice... After we went there with BajaLou's group in 2004, Baja Angel and I returned in 2006... beautiful place! http://vivabaja.com/106

Barry A. - 2-25-2011 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Berrendo Canyon was nice... After we went there with BajaLou's group in 2004, Baja Angel and I returned in 2006... beautiful place! http://vivabaja.com/106

That would be "Canada el Berrendo", David, according to the Almanac Atlas. :lol:

Beautiful place, and very unique-----thousands of Blue Palms.

Barry

David K - 2-25-2011 at 06:27 PM

I have seen a map with it spelled Verrendo, too!;D

mcfez - 2-26-2011 at 09:18 AM

Quote:

I'll be there this march for a few days. The smuggler reports are very suspect...as I have heard the opposite of this area. Will report on this after I get back.

Here's link on this area....the last page is most useful to read.....
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=47613#pid5933...

This road trip you all made sounded like it was great time except for the few issues. There are always issues when
traveling in groups. Always!

Travels of the back country such as Baja...Owens Valley...Glacier National Park....the local Zoo .................always have a issue when there is a group involved (or not). That's what its all about, enjoying nature with a happy ending of the day. To blame Tim here...has been over blown. The guy made a mistake. Who else made mistakes that day....that you may not be aware of!

There is hints of this run not being very organized.
This group did well for the issues. You had BajaLou there...and he knows every rock in that area. Lou got help from the Military Post. Some stayed back in base camp to wait for Tim. There were radios. Extra food (given to the base camp). Sounds organized to me.

All of "us" seasoned outdoors-men / outdoors-women...were once greenhorns. We all have had issues with our treks. Say you never did...and I'll show you a liar. I am very experienced with Mother Nature myself...... but still make mistakes. Tim shouldn't be the main topic of this wonderful day trip you all had.

PICT3298.jpg - 49kB

Barry A. - 2-26-2011 at 11:39 AM

EXCELLENT, McFez!!!!!

Barry

Deno

BajaRob - 2-26-2011 at 06:45 PM

Thanks for getting it. I would travel with that group anytime, anywhere.

mcfez - 2-27-2011 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob
Thanks for getting it. I would travel with that group anytime, anywhere.

Anyone should had gotten it. Even Burt from Campos Ocotillo would had :-)

Havent seen you for two three years since Burt and I came down. You and the wife be there late March? Like to show off my young 16 year son and his girlfriend to you guys....

I'll be on the next run you guys have next year year. I really need to get out there and meet up with everyone.

Deno

BajaRob - 2-28-2011 at 05:51 AM

We will be here until June and you are always welcome.

El Comadante Loco - 3-1-2011 at 09:39 AM

I believe that we have all learned from this experience without the need for personal blame. I will certainly take my Spot with me on all future outings. However, should I ever become lost I could not think of a better group of people than Nomads to look for me...

It was a pleasure to participate on this trip and hike but more so to meet new Nomads and acquaint with old ones. I want to thank all of you who helped organized this trip who did so in the Baja spirit.

I also want to thank TW for driving his truck and allowing me to ride with him. Along with us were Fred and Manny who came down from Sacramento to spend the week and look at a lot to rent at K43. Soon we will have two new residents at South Campos.

Looking forward to next year or any time sooner whereever we go..

I will be back at K43 March 10-14 for the Baja 250 come on over for a beer or ???

BajaWarrior - 3-3-2011 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Comadante Loco
I believe that we have all learned from this experience without the need for personal blame. I will certainly take my Spot with me on all future outings. However, should I ever become lost I could not think of a better group of people than Nomads to look for me...

It was a pleasure to participate on this trip and hike but more so to meet new Nomads and acquaint with old ones. I want to thank all of you who helped organized this trip who did so in the Baja spirit.

I also want to thank TW for driving his truck and allowing me to ride with him. Along with us were Fred and Manny who came down from Sacramento to spend the week and look at a lot to rent at K43. Soon we will have two new residents at South Campos.

Looking forward to next year or any time sooner whereever we go..

I will be back at K43 March 10-14 for the Baja 250 come on over for a beer or ???

E.C.L.

We're heading out tomorrow (3-4-11 for a quick weekend but I might be down by myself or with a buddy for the 250 if so I'll give you a shout before you head south and maybe we can get together for the Race

El Comadante Loco - 3-3-2011 at 06:52 PM

Beer or Race is fine with me:yawn::biggrin::bounce:

BajaWarrior - 3-6-2011 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Comadante Loco
Beer or Race is fine with me:yawn::biggrin::bounce:

I'm thinking both.

Just got back from a quick weekend but coming back for the race. Lots of racers coming south as we were heading home, I mean lots! Should be fun. I'll U2U.