BajaNomad

Santa Isabel Found - not joking - nomad wanted

Pages:  1    3  ..  5

elbeau - 3-2-2011 at 07:52 AM

All joking aside, I believe I have found the site of what people call the lost mission of Santa Isabel using Google Earth...please pause here to laugh :)...

Now that you're done laughing, please look closely at the images in this post. One is a rough drawing I made of what I think I see there. The other is a screenshot from Google Earth converted to grayscale. The site matches the location and description from at least three of the most popular legend stories, and it is built on a MUCH LARGER complex of ancient sites that will rewrite what is known of pre-columbian Baja civilization.

I've tried contacting nine different professors from various parts of academia. Only one of them gave me the time of day and he loves what he sees, but like myself, he wants someone to go onsite to confirm it.

I'd love to go onsite, but I'm the father of four daughters (one with special needs) and I'm a 26 hour drive from the site and I really can't get away for a trip like that.

So...I'm looking for a nomad with an adventurous spirit who is willing to drive to a remote spot in Baja California and then hike for about 3 miles to the site. There will be MANY other ruins along the way. Before you go I will provide Google Earth KML files so that you can look at the area yourself and make sure I'm not just a nutjob.

All joking aside, if this does pan out and I really am seeing what I think I'm seeing, this site is vulnerable to looting and needs to be protected as much as possible. Mexican government involvement is a must as soon as we have confirmation of the site.

So, if you're interested in writing yourself into this story, please let me know. I won't listen to anybody who isn't a long-time active member of this site because to open this up to anybody would only increase the chances that someone with the wrong intentions would get to go there. I will also want a promise that you will not disturb ANYTHING at the site.

Any takers?

If not, I'll start posting more and more and more pictures of architecture and ancient public works projects until someone bites.

I know it's hard to understand the scale of what you are looking at in these pics and I know how well our eyes can get tricked by Google Earth, but trust me, these images hold up under scrutiny.

(edited to add the words "STILL" and "please" to the title)

[Edited on 3-18-2011 by elbeau]

[Edited on 5-2-2011 by elbeau]

elbeau - 3-2-2011 at 07:56 AM

Darn it, my pics are too big...just a sec.

elbeau - 3-2-2011 at 08:01 AM

vandenberg - 3-2-2011 at 08:18 AM

Not bad, Codo.:biggrin::biggrin:

David K - 3-2-2011 at 08:47 AM

Having been to one lost mission site already ( http://vivabaja.com/109 ), I am game for another... elbeau (elbow=codo)

Sadly, there was no documentation ever of a mission named Santa Isabel. It was a story handed down, believed to be a Dominican site rather than a Jesuit one. However, it was the Jesuits who were removed by force from the New World in 1767-8... and so they were usually the ones connected to lost mission stories. Santa Clara and Santa Isabel being the most well known. See also http://vivabaja.com/1757

Choral Pepper was one of many writers who searched for Santa Isabel near Puertecitos... Others believed it to be closer to Matomi, San Juan de Dios, or in the lower San Pedro Martir. Erle Stanley Gardner thought he spotted it closer to Laguna Chapala... All good fun desert exploration!

Here is a story from 1941:

One of several Baja and Mexican stories in the 1941 book 'Golden Mirages' by Philip A. Bailey that deals mostly with Southern California and Arizona treasure stories...

The 4 page story starts and ends mid page...

Here is a map with the place names mentioned in this story circled in blue... at the approx. distance from San Fernando and Santa Maria, and at the approx. heading from San Agustin IS the Sierra Santa Isabel, near Puertecitos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a story from 1967:

This is another gem from my collection of Choral Pepper's saved Baja magazine articles!

This article called 'Una casa grandote, una cruz arriba (Some further words on the controversy over "The Lost Mission" Santa Isabel)' by Harold O. Weight was published in the September, 1967 issue of Westways Magazine.

It is the best Santa Isabel, found story I think I have read so far!

Here is the area with the water hole plotted and a 12 mile radius out drawn in...

Let the hunt begin! :light::cool:

Of interest, here is the spring from the story: Agua del Mezquitito (2.4 miles south of Okie Landing/ 15 miles north of Gonzaga Bay)...

This is me (age 16) in 1974 on my first Baja trip without parents. I returned here in 2002 and a corral of tires was made around the water hole.

Here is Rancho Parral... a few miles north of Matomi:

RANCHO EL PARRAL 30°29.42', 115°06.97'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the upper Matomi canyon with its blue palms... Photo from Mexitron, 2004:

Santa Isabel could be just around the bend?

elbeau - 3-2-2011 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Having been to one lost mission site already ( http://vivabaja.com/109 ), I am game for another... elbeau (elbow=codo)

Sadly, there was no documentation ever of a mission named Santa Isabel. It was a story handed down, believed to be a Dominican site rather than a Jesuit one. However, it was the Jesuits who were removed by force from the New World in 1767-8... and so they were usually the ones connected to lost mission stories. Santa Clara and Santa Isabel being the most well known.

If (and I know it's a BIG "if") I can convince you that this site deserves a visit, how soon could you drop whatever you're normally doing and go?

Also, I have no idea who is who on this forum. Can some people who know David K. please vouch for him?

I know that so far I sound like I need a CAT scan, and maybe that's right, but I have a LOT more to show to whoever really wants to go.

elbeau - 3-2-2011 at 09:03 AM

...And I agree, there was probably now "mission" named Santa Isabel, but this site sure could explain why the stories abound. What I really think it is is a much more ancient site extending into the hills around it. There are two adobe-looking structures at the site that seems to have generated the "mission" stories, including the spidery looking building pictured above. The other ruins are colored very differently and are much more overgrown...so don't get your hopes up for buried treasure, but that doesn't mean you won't be "King Nomad" anyways :)

jk

David K - 3-2-2011 at 09:05 AM

If you check the stats, and history, you can see I am the longest active Nomad following the owner of Baja Nomad (Doug) who is a friend.

Check out my Baja mission information pages: http://vivabaja.com/bajamissions as well as my Baja web site http://vivabaja.com/

I live in San Diego County and have been traveling to Baja since I was a kid in 1965... I have written two Baja road logs in the 1970's and many travel articles since... as well as numerous trip and history reports here on Baja Nomad and other web sites.

I try and share my Baja map and book collection with anyone interested in Baja history or geography...

Welcome to Baja Nomad... you can spend weeks reading the many years of posts here since this site began in 2002.

David K - 3-2-2011 at 09:10 AM

PS, to prevent the Nomad page from stretching too wide rerquiring sideways scrolling, reduce the image size to a max. of 800 pixels wide. Yours is 1269 pixels wide... I need to go to work, but I will check back this afternoon! I sent a note to Doug to see if he can resize the image for you, if you aren't sure how.

mtgoat666 - 3-2-2011 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elbeau
Quote:

Sadly, there was no documentation ever of a mission named Santa Isabel. It was a story handed down, believed to be a Dominican site rather than a Jesuit one. However, it was the Jesuits who were removed by force from the New World in 1767-8... and so they were usually the ones connected to lost mission stories. Santa Clara and Santa Isabel being the most well known.

If (and I know it's a BIG "if") I can convince you that this site deserves a visit, how soon could you drop whatever you're normally doing and go?

Also, I have no idea who is who on this forum. Can some people who know David K. please vouch for him?

I know that so far I sound like I need a CAT scan, and maybe that's right, but I have a LOT more to show to whoever really wants to go.

hey elbeau:
DK is the "bloviator in chief." He is also the uber politcal lightning rod, and resident nomad mission-head. If he believes your mission story, he will be your publicist, mentor and defender. sadly, he is a teabag :lol:

how did you sketch the mission from that nebulous google photo?

mtgoat666 - 3-2-2011 at 09:15 AM

Quote:

mtgoat666 - 3-2-2011 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
So...I'm looking for a nomad with an adventurous spirit who is willing to drive to a remote spot in Baja California and then hike for about 3 miles to the site. There will be MANY other ruins along the way.

So, if you're interested in writing yourself into this story, please let me know. I won't listen to anybody who isn't a long-time active member of this site because to open this up to anybody would only increase the chances that someone with the wrong intentions would get to go there. I will also want a promise that you will not disturb ANYTHING at the site.

MANY other ruins along the way? Will there be a cave full of pirate booty? How about just regular old booty?
Only old nomads allowed, because you are such a newbie?

me thinks you are a clever troll! but i love a good humorous troll!

Jack Swords - 3-2-2011 at 09:21 AM

Let's go!

wilderone - 3-2-2011 at 09:27 AM

I WANNA GO!!! HAVE 4WD, WILL NOT DIVULGE LOCATION; HAVE ABSOLUTE RESPECT FOR ANTIQUITIES. A TEAM??? I WANNA GO!!!! I CAN GO NOW, BUT NEED TO BE BACK BEFORE MAR. 26. (or go after Mar. 26).

elbeau - 3-2-2011 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

It's a little (not a lot, but a little) less nebulous when you can flip and twist Google Earth around and stare at it from different angles.

The "Stone Corral" which is nearby made it easy to know generally where to look, and the spidery structure is a different color than the rest of the terrain, so finding the spot to look at wasn't terribly hard, and it seemed like it looked like something man-made, but it took A LOT of studying before I could make that sketch.

elbeau - 3-2-2011 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
I WANNA GO!!! HAVE 4WD, WILL NOT DIVULGE LOCATION; HAVE ABSOLUTE RESPECT FOR ANTIQUITIES. A TEAM??? I WANNA GO!!!! I CAN GO NOW, BUT NEED TO BE BACK BEFORE MAR. 26. (or go after Mar. 26).

This feature has been turned over to David K. He has everything he needs to know where to go and what to look for. I just wish I could go :(

elbeau - 3-2-2011 at 09:51 AM

Images removed on purpose. I got enough interest I didn't want them posted any longer.

elbeau

mcfez - 3-2-2011 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
PS, to prevent the Nomad page from stretching too wide rerquiring sideways scrolling, reduce the image size to a max. of 800 pixels wide. Yours is 1269 pixels wide... I need to go to work, but I will check back this afternoon! I sent a note to Doug to see if he can resize the image for you, if you aren't sure how.

elbeau
send me your pictures to deno@kissmygrass.com and I'll send em back to you re-sized.....if u wish.

elbeau - 3-2-2011 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

elbeau
send me your pictures to deno@kissmygrass.com and I'll send em back to you re-sized.....if u wish.

No thanks. I didn't remove them because of the size requirement. They served their purpose and I got the interest I wanted, so I removed them.

Mission Hunt

TMW - 3-2-2011 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
I didn't remove them because of the size requirement. They served their purpose and I got the interest I wanted, so I removed them.

Of all the people to hunt for the mission site Jack Swords and David K would be the ones to do it. Both are true Baja explorers and know what to look for and who to contact if anything is found. They can be trusted.

Barry A. - 3-2-2011 at 11:35 AM

Well, you certainly stirred up "interest", and now you will have to contend with some VERY FRUSTRATED folks since you suddenly got very secretive!!!! :rolleyes:

Thank Gawd that at least you shared with David---------I look forward to hearing about whatever you guys/gals find--------and if not, a contract may be issued on you, or at least the black helecoptor boys will be sent.

No matter what it is you id'ed, it is fascinating, to say the least. I got to see the original post, tho briefly, and that did it for me-------has to be checked out, for sure.

Barry

Mexitron - 3-2-2011 at 11:57 AM

Jack and David---if this is for real let me know if you could take another person and when the trip would be.

Brian L - 3-2-2011 at 12:13 PM

So, is the security of the "place" that important that the picture can't be shared here? If it exists, what steps would be taken to secure it? Or, would a select few keep its existence to themselves.

I almost wish I hadn't started reading this post after the pictures were removed.

toneart - 3-2-2011 at 12:47 PM

DavidK is THE Baja trekker and historian on The BajaNomad!

His politics are irrelevant and his genuine love for Baja and his personal explorer's history are for real. He can be trusted!

Sounds like you have already made the security check and contact that you are requiring with David. Best of Luck! I hope it turns out to be what you are hoping for.

elbeau - 3-2-2011 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Well, you certainly stirred up "interest", and now you will have to contend with some VERY FRUSTRATED folks since you suddenly got very secretive!!!! :rolleyes:

Sorry Barry, but the only reason I posted at all was to try to get somebody to go to the site and see if I'm just crazy or if it's actually there.

I haven't heard from David K. I'm very interested to know if he can see what I am seeing at the site. By now he knows that what I posted earlier is not a joke and is really just a small fraction of what I think is actually there...and what he DOESN'T know is that the stuff I sent him is actually a fraction of what I --think-- is in the area around it. I'm waiting to hear if he is buying into what I sent already before I send him coordinates and descriptions of a feature that will completely blow his mind :)

Trust me, the stuff I haven't sent him yet makes finding Santa Isabel a minor news item.

dtbushpilot - 3-2-2011 at 01:04 PM

Let's go. I'm ready to head out any time, have 4x4 and know how to use it....dt

Barry A. - 3-2-2011 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Sorry Barry, but the only reason I posted at all was to try to get somebody to go to the site and see if I'm just crazy or if it's actually there.

I haven't heard from David K. I'm very interested to know if he can see what I am seeing at the site. By now he knows that what I posted earlier is not a joke and is really just a small fraction of what I think is actually there...and what he DOESN'T know is that the stuff I sent him is actually a fraction of what I --think-- is in the area around it. I'm waiting to hear if he is buying into what I sent already before I send him coordinates and descriptions of a feature that will completely blow his mind :)

Trust me, the stuff I haven't sent him yet makes finding Santa Isabel a minor news item.

Hmmmmmmmmm, now I am a little suspicious-------sounds "to good to be true". Only time will tell----------

David K can be trusted, as well as Jack Swords---------and I agree with all that ToneArt says above.

This IS exciting!!!

Barry

elbeau - 3-2-2011 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
-------sounds "to good to be true". Only time will tell----------

I couldn't agree more. That's why everyone who's seen the pics, including myself, says the same thing: "How can we get some on-the-ground shots to see if this is for real?"

bajaguy - 3-2-2011 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
"How can we get some on-the-ground shots to see if this is for real?"

Might be worth it to do a fly-over and get some good photos from the air before you do any ground work

mcfez - 3-2-2011 at 02:21 PM

I dont understand....exactly why the pictures are not up?

elbeau - 3-2-2011 at 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Might be worth it to do a fly-over and get some good photos from the air before you do any ground work

Yep, but I don't have the $$$ for a charter. If you do, I'd love to see what you can find. Otherwise, this can be a single-day trip for David or anybody else in San Diego and you'd get better photos from the ground.

elbeau - 3-2-2011 at 02:31 PM

Quote:

Because I don't want somebody finding out where the site is before it is verified and the authorities are contacted.

It's not like it's some secret spy op. If you're antsy to see what's there, just think what it's been like for me sitting here 26 hrs away calling Archaeology professors and news agencies and not even finding anybody interested in looking at the images.

At least you guys care enough to want to see if I'm crazy, or blind, or right, or whatever, and I do appreciate that...but seriously, archaeological sites should be taken care of, and I'd feel irresponsible if my post led somebody else to loot the site, if it's even really there and not a trick of the eye or something.

Please, be patient, or try and talk David into showing you. It's not like I'm the only one with the coordinates anymore.

BTW, I haven't heard from David since I sent him the KML file...anybody know if he got it?

bajalou - 3-2-2011 at 02:33 PM

I'm in Sn Felipe and available with 4x4, camera, GPSr etc. And 11GB of satellite shots of northern Baja on the computer in my 4x4.

Think David is working today and he will respond after work.

edited to correctly spell David

[Edited on 3-2-2011 by bajalou]

TMW - 3-2-2011 at 02:49 PM

I have a friend with a plane if that becomes necessary.

mcfez - 3-2-2011 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Because I don't want somebody finding out where the site is before it is verified and the authorities are contacted.

It's not like it's some secret spy op. If you're antsy to see what's there, just think what it's been like for me sitting here 26 hrs away calling Archaeology professors and news agencies and not even finding anybody interested in looking at the images.

At least you guys care enough to want to see if I'm crazy, or blind, or right, or whatever, and I do appreciate that...but seriously, archaeological sites should be taken care of, and I'd feel irresponsible if my post led somebody else to loot the site, if it's even really there and not a trick of the eye or something.

Please, be patient, or try and talk David into showing you. It's not like I'm the only one with the coordinates anymore.

BTW, I haven't heard from David since I sent him the KML file...anybody know if he got it?

DK is most likely working at a job site today...he'll get back to you for sure. He does with everyone here.

Could you re-post the Google map without the coordinates? I have an imaging software that can "see" better...actually highlights man made items.

Brian L - 3-2-2011 at 03:29 PM

I highly doubt there is any secret site out there with something to loot. Honestly, this isn't 1946, it's 2011. You're not the first person to use Google Maps.

I think we are all guilty of being tricked by someone with their first post today!

elbeau - 3-2-2011 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian L
I highly doubt there is any secret site out there with something to loot. Honestly, this isn't 1946, it's 2011. You're not the first person to use Google Maps.

I think we are all guilty of being tricked by someone with their first post today!

If this was a trick, you would have heard one of two things from David k: either I never sent him the coords, or the thing in the pic wasn't at the coords.

I assure you I did send him the coordinates and the thing in the pic is at the coordinates along with a whole lot of other oddly man-made-looking old-looking stuff. Like I said ALL ALONG, I have ONLY looked at satellite imagery of this stuff myself, there may not be anything there at all, but there may be. Just be patient, you'll probably all be packing your stuff for a trip with David tomorrow or you'll be loading your weapons for a hunting trip for a codo tomorrow (yes, Vandenburg did finally tell me what that meant). Either way, it should be exciting for me :)

Brian L - 3-2-2011 at 03:48 PM

Whatever. If you try to start selling timeshares at this "place" then I will know you are full of caca. As it stands, I only think you are.

Barry A. - 3-2-2011 at 03:52 PM

What's a "codo"???

Vandenberg did not include me in "the know".

This is exciting enough that I am more than willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, so carry on. I agree with Lou that David is most probably on a job, and will respond tonight.

Barry

Brian L - 3-2-2011 at 04:11 PM

Codo means elbow in Spanish, but also means "cheapskate".

Not sure what David was referring to though. The new poster name sounds like elbow (elbeau).

elbeau - 3-2-2011 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian L Codo means elbow in Spanish, but also means "cheapskate". Not sure what David was referring to though. The new poster name sounds like elbow (elbeau).
My first name and middle name is Eldon Beau. Elbeau is my poor attempt at being clever with my name. Just let this play out. I don't know if David will interpret the satellite imagery the same as me, but he will be able to tell you that what I showed in the images this morning really is at a location that make sense for Santa Isabel. I cannot find any signs of people having been to the site. No tire marks within 2.5 miles, no modern dwellings (but plenty of very old ruins), no pictures anywhere on the internet anywhere near the place, etc., etc.. I may or may not be able to interpret blurry satellite images, but I am not being dishonest with you

I really hope I am not right....

mcfez - 3-2-2011 at 07:38 PM

Well..okay.
Here we go.....

There's this guy who is studying the images of Google Earth, he seems to have zeroed in on this area for a reason....from reading historic accounts to forums to just plain lucky and heard it from Uncle Bob.

He is not at any other forum under this user name. I haven't ever heard of him. Fact is...from anyone I haven't heard a lot about this location (in the past).

So out of the blue....this guy being so protective of this possible historic find...he logs onto the Bajanomads for the first time ever...then publishes the location details? He seemed to know all about David K in advance...advance enough to send him the images and map? Yet...not a word from any past posts from him.

I think this is another Sand Dollar story........

[Edited on 3-3-2011 by mcfez]

mtgoat666 - 3-2-2011 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Well..okay.
Here we go.....

There's this guy who is studying the images of Google Earth, he seems to have zeroed in on this area for a reason....from reading historic accounts to forums to just plain lucky and heard it from Uncle Bob.

He is not at any other forum under this user name. I haven't ever heard of him. Fact is...from anyone I haven't heard a lot about this location (in the past).

So out of the blue....this guy being so protective of this possible historic find...he logs onto the Bajanomads for the first time ever...then publishes the location details? He seemed to know all about David K in advance...advance enough to send him the images and map? Yet...not a word from any past posts from him.

who cares, mcpez?

it all makes for silly entertainment. a trail of ruins leads to a mission built upon the remains of a large pre-columbian city! i can't wait for dk to drive out to the desert and bring back pictures of his toyota parked next to a crashed space ship and cave full of alien gold!

woody with a view - 3-2-2011 at 07:47 PM

i just hope there's no secret surf spots nearby!

:lol::?::lol::?::lol::?::light:

Skipjack Joe - 3-2-2011 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou

Think David is working today and he will respond after work.

edited to correctly spell David

[Edited on 3-2-2011 by bajalou]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good one!

Marc - 3-2-2011 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i just hope there's no secret surf spots nearby!

:lol::?::lol::?::lol::?::light:

Now THAT would be terrific!!:o:o

BajaBlanca - 3-2-2011 at 08:17 PM

ohhhhhhhhhhhh if it is anywhere close to us in la bocana, puhleeeeeeeez let us know David !!!!

:yes::biggrin::yes::biggrin:

elbeau - 3-2-2011 at 08:27 PM

Quote:
Well..okay.
Here we go.....

Honestly, I can't say I'd think any differently if I were you :)

I'm out there under this username in other places. Heck, I sell my own geology iPhone app at elbeaus.com. Send an email to support@elbeaus.com and I'll repeat it back to you. I didn't mention my site earlier because I didn't want you guys thinking I was just spamming your forums.

I know how crazy my post sounds, but think of it from my point of view. I've been trying to get someone to visit this site for weeks now, I'm very frustrated that the people I've contacted about it won't give me the time of day, and I can't go to the site myself. The ONLY reason I posted here today was to try to get ANYBODY's attention who would be in a position to go snap some photos of the site. After David logged on and offered to go and a couple people vouched for him I had accomplished what I wanted to do in this thread. It's not my fault that he won't respond to me or you. I'm giving him the benefit of a doubt that he's busy today and wasn't ready to drop everything and go hunting for a lost mission, etc..

Think about it, there's no way to call me dishonest about this without implicating bahanomad's uber-member David K also...so what you're left with is two possibilities:

1. I'm a nutjob who thinks he can do archaeology on Google Earth.
2. I'm not a nutjob and still think I can do archaeology on Google Earth.

Either way, it's worth checking out. Believe me, I'm following this thread closer than any of you. I've been waiting to see what's actually there much longer :)

mcfez - 3-2-2011 at 08:50 PM

........the ONLY reason I posted here today was to try to get ANYBODY's attention who would be in a position to go snap some photos of the site.

Like I said.....you didnt have a clue who DavidK was/is and still dont. Yet you trust a stranger still with your info (DK)? You just signed in at the BN early this a.m. for the first time.....trusty guy you must be.

Hell...I would had gone to the University(s)......
Many other avenues than a internet forum. I think you would had done that instead. Sorry.....something aint right here.

Hell yes!

mcfez - 3-2-2011 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Don't worry about it.
It will pan out or it won't.....if you're not going then don't waste any energy on it.
See you around the campfire.....we can build a really big one in that bathtub on wheels, get hammered, hook it up to a vehicle and roll that flamingb-tch around the camp and laugh our assesoff.

Quote:
........the ONLY reason I posted here today was to try to get ANYBODY's attention who would be in a position to go snap some photos of the site.

Like I said.....you didnt have a clue who DavidK was/is and still dont. Yet you trust a stranger still with your info (DK)? You just signed in at the BN early this a.m. for the first time.....trusty guy you must be.

Hell...I would had gone to the University(s)......
Many other avenues than a internet forum. I think you would had done that instead. Sorry.....something aint right here.

When we do go? Absolute sounds better, your idea. I'll bring the broads :yes:

David K - 3-2-2011 at 09:30 PM

Hello amigos... I have had a long work day, followed by dinner with my beautiful wife 'Baja Angel'... I first took care of posting the location of Mike and Don-Kay as that takes 45 minutes to do, then I had a few u2u's to respond to.

Having found a site 'lost' since 1966 after another Nomad shared a Google Earth image of it with me, and then driving 500 miles to varify the site, then sharing that information with an archeologist working that part of Baja, first... as well as a noted Baja mission historian and author of many books .... BEFORE revealing the location here (as it heald no special interest to either of them)... I will take care of the site elbeau has found.

Please stay tuned!

dtbushpilot - 3-2-2011 at 10:13 PM

Count me in DK, I'm headed to San Felipe next week to help my little boy race the SF 250. I can always take a detour somewhere along the way.....dt

jeans - 3-2-2011 at 10:25 PM

Quote:

Sounds like a job for............Capt. Mike! :light:

[Edited on 3-3-2011 by jeans]

bajalera - 3-2-2011 at 10:30 PM

Add me as a voucher for DK, who annoys some Nomads by knowing too much. But I'll bet I have more Baja books.

David K - 3-2-2011 at 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
Add me as a voucher for DK, who annoys some Nomads by knowing too much. But I'll bet I have more Baja books.

You can never have too many Baja books!!!

Thanks for the nice words...

Well, for the past couple of hours I have looked over the spot on my Google Earth... and the site is not remote, I have been very near it many times and I know Nomads who have ridden right by it on a m/c.

I will keep an open mind and I love the mysteries and myths of Baja anyway... I will even go there and take photos of the area... but (so far) I see nothing man made at the GPS of the site... nothing close to a mission type of site... and that part of Baja is a high resolution where you can make out things down to 20 feet or less (like a car)... and a mission church is usually about 100 feet by 20 feet, there are fields for crops, corrals for animals, a flowing stream of water or an oasis for water and caminos (trails) radiating out from the site.

Of course, this was to be a secret mission where the padres hid their aquired wealth (not likely) to be retrieved sometime later.

So stay tuned... I have not been able to open the files elbeau sent me (my computer is probably to blame) which may change my point of view...

More tomorrow!

Barry A. - 3-2-2011 at 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera But I'll bet I have more Baja books.

Maybe----------I have 90, according to my last count, but I admit that some are duplicates. :P

Barry

elbeau - 3-3-2011 at 01:04 AM

Quote:
Well, for the past couple of hours I have looked over the spot on my Google Earth... and the site is not remote, I have been very near it many times and I know Nomads who have ridden right by it on a m/c.

I will keep an open mind and I love the mysteries and myths of Baja anyway... I will even go there and take photos of the area... but (so far) I see nothing man made at the GPS of the site... nothing close to a mission type of site... and that part of Baja is a high resolution where you can make out things down to 20 feet or less (like a car)... and a mission church is usually about 100 feet by 20 feet, there are fields for crops, corrals for animals, a flowing stream of water or an oasis for water and caminos (trails) radiating out from the site.

Of course, this was to be a secret mission where the padres hid their aquired wealth (not likely) to be retrieved sometime later.

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again...then quit! There's no sense in being a fool about it" - Mark Twain

I give up. Academia won't listen, nomads can't open files. Here you go...all the coords for all the sites can be found in this KML file which for some reason is unopenable by DK's computer:

Google Earth File With Coordinates

You might first notice from DK's first post about the old mission story from 1941 that the 12-mile line drawn on the map at the bottom goes almost right over this site.

Here's another (little more reliable) account that fits this site:

The Californian

You can flip back a page and see how the story leads into this page, but to sum it up, it's the story of an early explorer who sailed down the Colorado river into the Gulf of California. He describes the islands in the gulf very well, then starts in on his journey that found "Santa Isabel". Reading his story, since he lists all the islands going down the gulf, it gives the impression that the starting point for his journey is farther South, but my site would mean that what he meant was that he was starting from the first island he mentioned (the one he actually says he's at). From there the distances and land descriptions are spot on and his description of the site looks great too. If his story is right, it probably means that it is a mission site because of the detail in which he describes the bells from the bell tower. Also, look straight down at the site then zoom out a little. See the "Stone Corral"? It's across the river and pretty comparatively easy to see.

If you're having trouble making anything out in the images, please double-click the pin for the arches going up the mountain side. I find them to be one of the easiest features to discern. Another discernible feature is the brown tower on top of what I call a "fortress-like" structure.

---!!! PLEASE NOTE: !!!--- Google Earth can flip, twist, and distort satellite imagery all over the place. Each of the pins on the map have a very particular view associated with them which I think is the best view for that feature. Instead of just zooming straight in to each feature from above, please double-click the pins so you can see the features the same way I do. You can "uncheck" the boxes next in the list of features on the left pane of Google Earth to toggle them on and off. This helps so that my text doesn't appear over the feature I want you to see. Some features are easier to see than others, and a couple of them (ie: the statue) is admittedly a stretch, but all of them are MUCH easier to see on a very high-resolution (many pixels per inch) screen. The best viewing is with an iPhone 4 with it's retina display. It really makes a big difference to not have the screen contributing to the blurriness of an already blurry picture.

Of course, feel free to flip, twist and whirl Google Earth around to see if what I'm seeing holds up using different angles of sight. I would do no less and I would view it with an eye of skepticism if someone was asking me to make a trip like this.

Here are a few snapshots of what I see and interpret. I'm sure this will inspire plenty of debate, but what it really needs is a couple photos from the ground...PLEASE!...PLEASE just go and see if it's really there.

First, here's my drawing of the so-called "Mission" site with some Google Earth measurements:

...And here are Google Earth screen captures of the site I think I see. The site looks cool, but there are two elusive questions:

1. Why would the Jesuits (or whoever) built a "secret mission" so elegantly?
2. Why does there appear to be two types of construction materials? One looks brown like adobe, the other looks gray and more overgrown.

Next is the image that looks like the front to a fortress or something, although that interpretation seems highly unlikely given the lack of significant shadows and the topography. Notice the adobe-looking tower with a shadow in the top-right corner of what looks like the big structure:

Next is the feature that I intrepret as the "Stone Corral" that is often mentioned in the lost mission stories:

Next is a feature that I think is one of the more visible features when using Google Earth. It's a series of archways going up a trail cut deep into a mountainside. If you pan around it in Google Earth you can faintly see another large archway-wall perpendicular to the arches going up the hill. That perpendicular wall also appears to be the beginning of a trail up to the entrance to a cave or mine or something:

Next is an admittedly blurry image of what I think is a standing building with interesting architecture. The building is fuzzy, but the shadow it makes is distinguishable:

Now for the good (or completely insane) stuff :) ...........

The rest of these pictures are my interpretation of the features in an area of the Zamora river basin (which DK is right about, it is blue which gives it the appearance of a flowing river at times, but really it is just colored by all the copper in the hills around it. It is a river basin approximately 190 +/- feet wide the has a "sometimes-stream" flowing through it. By itself, it could never support a significant population, but although they are hard to make out now, if you follow the white staining that the water gives in the area it flows (or stands in the case of a resivoir) you can get an idea of what I'm talking about :

Anyways, no more "Black Helicopter" "Secret Ops" coverup stuff. I've exhausted all reasonable avenues for trying to both discover and protect this site. Will somebody PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE go take some pics and try to get the site recognized and protected? please?

please?

please?

...sigh...

gon2srf - 3-3-2011 at 02:44 AM

Best thread in a while. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the site. Ruins or not, it's a great read.

Better

mcfez - 3-3-2011 at 06:52 AM

Okay...at least now you got some stuff posted instead of all this hush hush crapola you were pulling off yesterday. Thanks for posting.

So.....why did you not go to a University with this information?

I really dont see anything much....but I will remain quiet from this point on about the subject.

elbeau - 3-3-2011 at 07:25 AM

Quote:
Okay...at least now you got some stuff posted instead of all this hush hush crapola you were pulling off yesterday. Thanks for posting.

So.....why did you not go to a University with this information?

I really dont see anything much....but I will remain quiet from this point on about the subject.

mcfez, I really don't understand why you're so focused on talking about me and my "crapola" instead of the site. Doesn't make sense. What I said yesterday was all true, so please let it go.

If you read my original post you would know that I tried to contact 9 professors at 4 major universities. Only one would give me the time of day. He likes the satellite images and my intrepretations, but he said the same thing as myself...we need pics from the ground.

elbeau - 3-3-2011 at 07:33 AM

If I'm right about the Dam & Reservoir, then it's pretty likely that a lot of the other disturbances in the river bed could also be other dams & reservoirs. There are a few others I think I've nailed down, but they involved even more guesswork than the one I'm showing. One of the others would be near the base of the path going up the hill that has arches. Since that is one of the most accessible places at the site it's worth looking around that river bed below the arches, even if I can't be as definitive with the particulars that I think I see there.

elbeau - 3-3-2011 at 07:39 AM

Here's a higher-level shot with some broader features noted:

elbeau - 3-3-2011 at 07:47 AM

That X-Shaped feature is the crossroads of two very well used trails as far as I can tell. One direction leads directly to my so-called "mission site". Another direction follows a trail through some mountains and valleys then gets lost in the desert. If you were to continue the direction of the trail after it gets lost in the desert you would find that it is aimed to go around the only mountain between this site and the Santa Maria mission. That could mean that the Jesuits made the trail, but it's certainly not built in their traditional style. I think it's more likely that it's an older trail leading to the oasis that Santa Maria was later built upon.

mcfez - 3-3-2011 at 08:00 AM

If you read my original post you would know that I tried to contact 9 professors at 4 major universities.

You did. Sorry.

I still say something aint right...the way you presented all of this, 9 professors at 4 major universities not getting involved,
and the fact that the area seems to be well covered by previous folks.. We had too many sand dollar stories here.

Like I said....I will remain quiet on this unless spoken too.

elbeau - 3-3-2011 at 08:24 AM

Fair enough

mcfez - 3-3-2011 at 08:27 AM

Quote:
Fair enough

I do as said before...hope I am wrong. Good luck with this hunt.

Barbareno - 3-3-2011 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gon2srf
Best thread in a while. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the site. Ruins or not, it's a great read.

It sure is.

Who are you?

Brian L - 3-3-2011 at 08:55 AM

After going to the app website, I'm still not sure who you are. Below is the info from your about us page, very elusive, and no mention of people's names (who are "we""?

About Us

Elbeaus.com is committed to bringing you the geology of our world using the best of today's technology.

Utilizing today's smart phone technology and geo positioning systems, we create applications that open the earth and help you make geologic discoveries.

In cooperation with Nevada Mineral & Book Company, we have been creating geology applications since 2000. As technology has adapted, so have we, and now we can present Terraphone, the world's first application to merge geologic and paleontologic occurrence data with the enabling power of the iPhone.

...Sure, there are many applications to help you "re-find" geographical places and man-made things... But only Terraphone provides you with the best tools for making new geological discoveries.

Terraphone's strength is not in helping you find things that other people have already found. Terraphone provides you with detailed information about the occurrences of rocks, minerals, fossils, gemstones, and other geologic information. By tying this information to the real-time data and positioning systems available in today's smart phones, such as the iPhone, YOU now have the power to make YOUR OWN DISCOVERIES!

So fire up Terraphone! ...and start exploring your earth toda

Brian L - 3-3-2011 at 09:00 AM

Also, thanks for the Google links. I have a decent res monitor, and am admittedly not a geologist or archaeologist, but I think you are stretching things a LOT!

I'd like to hear more on how you make the stretch (your words) from seeing something in a satellite image to an archaeological find...

You truly could be on to something here. Or you may have thought Tuesday was April 1st not March 1st.

David K - 3-3-2011 at 09:25 AM

Good Morning... Well, I did try to downplay the original post by elbeau so his 'secret' would be protected a bit longer. In any case, he has produced his close ups for you all to see and ponder... Great, Baja is about history, adventure and exploration. I did send the GPS to three other Nomads for their help in trying to see if there is something man-made there.

The arroyo is EL VOLCAN, but the Mexican topo and Baja Almanac has mis-named it Zamora. The site is only 3 miles 'downstream' from where the El Marmol-La Olvidada mine road crosses Arroyo el Volcan... which is just 1/2 mile from the El Volcan Geyser (onyx dome)... http://vivabaja.com/marmol

The arroyo is dry except for the springs at El Volcan which are very mineralaized (creating onyx) and nothing edible can grow in that water.

Motorcycle riders have traveled down Arroyo el Volcan (Zamora) from the El Marmol road seeking a short cut to the gulf (near El Huerfanito)... A dry waterfall dropoff has prevented the use of this arroyo.

Mexican prospectors have digs all over the area. The site (if it was a mission ruin) would have been seen by either prospectors, ranchers or off roaders.

However, Baja is a land of adventure... I would be happy to go back to El Volcan and go down the arroyo to the site to take photos of what these rock piles really look like. Who knows... maybe elbeau has indeed found something... and if not, it is still a great adventure to dream about or do!

[Edited on 3-3-2011 by David K]

Jack Swords - 3-3-2011 at 09:33 AM

Conjecture can go on and on. There is only one definitive solution and that is on the ground. It doesn't appear to be a difficult trip, several folks have indicated a willingness to drive/hike in. Until that happens nothing can be conclusive.

Having spent mucho time following rumored leads all over the backcountry of Baja, even a nonproductive adventure is just that, an adventure. However, at times one can be rewarded with success, but usually that just creates more questions. So, in the end, it's Baja, full of the unknown and unexpected. Nothing wrong with that.

elbeau - 3-3-2011 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
Conjecture can go on and on. There is only one definitive solution and that is on the ground. It doesn't appear to be a difficult trip, several folks have indicated a willingness to drive/hike in. Until that happens nothing can be conclusive.

Having spent mucho time following rumored leads all over the backcountry of Baja, even a nonproductive adventure is just that, an adventure. However, at times one can be rewarded with success, but usually that just creates more questions. So, in the end, it's Baja, full of the unknown and unexpected. Nothing wrong with that.

Well said. I'm not trying to create an endless debate here. All I want is some on-the-ground confirmation or a picture of the 95-foot shrub that is making me see things wrong :)

get some better photos, they are out there and free on web

mtgoat666 - 3-3-2011 at 09:45 AM

Don't waste your time with Google sat photos. the google earth photos are very limited.
you arm chair explorers should download the Landsat 7 SID raster images, and view with a free viewer like Lizardtech.

good luck chasing shadows!

David K - 3-3-2011 at 10:16 AM

How about showing them here goat...? It would be real refreshing to have a possitive contribution from you instead of the typical criticism... Can you do this? Thank you.

TMW - 3-3-2011 at 10:17 AM

Corky ll and I rode MCs down the wash and then hiked another mile or so a few years ago, maybe 5 or 6. Corky spent more time looking over the landscape than I as he felt there may be an overland route to the Sea of Cortez. I walked to the horse shoe bend past the first group of caves and stairs etc. WE did not see anything unusual. We were looking for a way to ride a MC up the side of the hill and not for historial stuff. The wash itself gets pretty bad with boulders etc.

TMW - 3-3-2011 at 10:25 AM

I'm going down to the SF250 race next week leaving on Thursday from here. Since I was going to check out the Turquesa mine wash hill I think I'll stop by this site first and see what it shows. If anyone else is going at that time let me know.

David K - 3-3-2011 at 10:57 AM

That would be great TW... take as many photos of the site and include a look from the arroyoup to it and from it down to the arroyo. This should clear up a lot.

Here are my Google Earth images of the site (marked with white balloon 'site b') from high to close with north at top, and sideways (west) from the arroyo.

The 'mystery runway' is at the end of a road that branches left, 2.0 miles from El Marmol off the El Volcan road. It is a ditched drug runner airstrip. There are others in this part of Baja!

wilderone - 3-3-2011 at 11:13 AM

I’ve been down this arroyo at least 3 miles. About ½ mi. from the arroyo junction (where if you crossed it would continue to the mine), to the right, there are some pools, some new onyx domes, streams, where I’m sure following a big rain, an area could fill to resemble a lake. Further down the arroyo we saw lots of borrego prints, lots of tamarask, but we didn’t venture on either side of the arroyo up any cliffs or side canyons, etc. It’s really great country for a hike. Some views of an area where pools accumulate and new onyx is being created.

elbeau - 3-3-2011 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I'm going down to the SF250 race next week leaving on Thursday from here. Since I was going to check out the Turquesa mine wash hill I think I'll stop by this site first and see what it shows. If anyone else is going at that time let me know.

YAY! I can survive two more weeks...I guess :)

Can't wait to see what you do or don't find.

David K - 3-3-2011 at 07:07 PM

Thanks Wilderone for sharing some of your beautiful El Volcan photos!

bajaking76 - 3-4-2011 at 08:24 AM

Interesting read in referrence to this post.....Baja Legends by Greg Niemann..... http://books.google.com/books?id=35WQOduN1F4C&pg=PA35&am...

[Edited on 3-4-2011 by bajaking76]

[Edited on 3-4-2011 by BajaNomad]

elbeau - 3-4-2011 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaking76
Interesting read in referrence to this post.....Baja Legends by Greg Niemann.....http://books.google.com/books?id=35WQOduN1F4C&pg=PA35&dq=mision+santa+isabel+baja+california&hl=en&ei=pARxTdSqIYKdlgeAlvyO AQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

I would tend to think that when they moved north to "Velicatá" they meant Misión San Fernando Rey de España de Velicatá

David K - 3-4-2011 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting read in referrence to this post.....Baja Legends by Greg Niemann.....http://books.google.com/books?id=35WQOduN1F4C&pg=PA35&dq=mision+santa+isabel+baja+california&hl=en&ei=pARxTdSqIYKdlgeAlvyO AQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

I would tend to think that when they moved north to "Velicatá" they meant Misión San Fernando Rey de España de Velicatá

Yes, Velicata was the Indian name for the site of Mision San Fernando... See http://vivabaja.com/missions2/page2.html

[Edited on 3-4-2011 by David K]

larryC - 3-4-2011 at 01:48 PM

About 5 years ago I rode my quad out to that arroyo, hiked around the area, and saw the "new" onyx dome. then continued on to the mine. Can't ride up to the mine because the road is washed out just before you get there. We were able to walk to the mine, but not too interesting. Anyway back at the "stream" can't say that I saw anything that looked old or man made. All in all though it was an interesting day. You guys will have fun.
Larry

David K - 3-4-2011 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by larryC
About 5 years ago I rode my quad out to that arroyo, hiked around the area, and saw the "new" onyx dome. then continued on to the mine. Can't ride up to the mine because the road is washed out just before you get there. We were able to walk to the mine, but not too interesting. Anyway back at the "stream" can't say that I saw anything that looked old or man made. All in all though it was an interesting day. You guys will have fun.
Larry

Here are some great photos from David (ELINVESIG8R) of the La Olvidada Barite Mine from 2008, 6.3 miles beyond El Volcan: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=34842

The Baja Adventure Book and Baja Almanac Map Book both spell the mine 'La Olividada'... I have been editing my posts as I come across them to what I believe is the correct spelling 'La Olvidada' (The Forgotten) as the sign calls it and ELINVESTI8R spells it.

David K - 3-4-2011 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
Interesting read in referrence to this post.....Baja Legends by Greg Niemann..... http://books.google.com/books?id=35WQOduN1F4C&pg=PA35&am...

An excellent book by Baja Nomad member 'GregN'... The link above takes you to the chapter on Santa Isabel.... and if you scroll down, another chapter on the other lost mission fable 'Santa Clara' near Punta Abreojos...

The book is a good one for your own home library... Get one from Greg's web site or your favorite Baja book dealer!

books 054.jpg - 45kB

mcfez - 3-4-2011 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:

An excellent book by Baja Nomad member 'GregN'... The link above takes you to the chapter on Santa Isabel.... and if you scroll down, another chapter on the other lost mission fable 'Santa Clara' near Punta Abreojos...

The book is a good one for your own home library... Get one from Greg's web site or your favorite Baja book dealer!

Just finished this book 2 weeks ago. A must have book.

When is your book coming out David? :light:

David K - 3-4-2011 at 06:22 PM

When I have seen where every dirt road in Baja goes!:yes: (may take my entire life):light:

TMW - 3-5-2011 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Larry

How far from the mine is the wash out?

David K - 3-5-2011 at 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:
Larry

How far from the mine is the wash out?

Perhaps also ask (u2u?) ELINVESTIG8R (David) as he was there at La Olvidada with Sony Espinoza (I posted link to his photos)... He talked about how they had to walk some distance to the mine from the washout.

David K - 3-5-2011 at 10:48 PM

Now here's the book we all need to read before the search begins! :light:

books 057.jpg - 50kB

New View Of The Mission Site

elbeau - 3-10-2011 at 06:46 PM

While waiting for our first report from TW, I'm going to revise what I think is our best view of the mission site. Looking from a better angle made a lot of new things make sense. I don't have a drawing yet like my first view of the site, but take a look from a northern perspective and you'll see that I had the landslide going uphill :)

elbeau - 3-10-2011 at 06:49 PM

...Also, once you get this perspective, take a look at the top of the groove where the arches are.

Also, 10 points to whoever can find the feature that looks like a car from the 20's

Meanwhile...I wait...and I wait...and I wait...to see if I'm sane or not :)

If TW does confirm the existence of the site then I'll post a WHOLE LOT more that is in and around the arroyo area.

mtgoat666 - 3-10-2011 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
While waiting for our first report from TW, I'm going to revise what I think is our best view of the mission site. Looking from a better angle made a lot of new things make sense. I don't have a drawing yet like my first view of the site, but take a look from a northern perspective and you'll see that I had the landslide going uphill :)

elbow:
i suppose you should be allowed to dream,...
i just think you are imagining things. your images are such that you are either foolish, dumb, or a sly fox trying to prank some unsuspecting rube to waste a day in the desert while you cackle in your lair in nevada. :lol:

elbeau - 3-10-2011 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
elbow:
i suppose you should be allowed to dream,...
i just think you are imagining things. your images are such that you are either foolish, dumb, or a sly fox trying to prank some unsuspecting rube to waste a day in the desert while you cackle in your lair in nevada. :lol:

Wow, a flamer. I never would have guessed someone would mock me in an internet forum...so painful :(

...but for anyone else following this thread, it's still quite interesting to look around and Google updated a lot of their data recently. Talking to DK and others it appears the arroyo was used for a travel route around 1905 +/- and it's possible some or much of what we're looking at could date from that time, but I still think there's a good enough case for older ruins to warrant investigation. We'll see I guess :)

GregN - 3-10-2011 at 10:19 PM

Fascinating thread. I just read the entire discussion with interest and was surprised to see that a couple of you mentioned my book Baja Legends. Thanks. I appreciate your kind words. It goes to show that a "lost treasure" is always a hot topic. If I ever did a revision, I'd have to include these latest endeavors. Good luck. Greg

Baja Bucko - 3-10-2011 at 10:48 PM

A few years back I was riding el camino real in a certain part of Baja. The camp one nite was at an old corral and I knew the history of the area and who owned the brand and lands now etc. The vaquero acting as guide pretty much traveled the area as a kid chasing cattle and discussed what he knew of the history in the old family.

The next morning I went exploring and found underneath heavy overgrown brush the rock foundation of a huge rectangular building. All that was left was the 4 corners and long wall bases-all of rock. The corners were perfectly squared.

I returned to camp and asked my friend about what I'd found. He was surprised and wanted to see the site. After a short hike I dug under the brush and showed him-he was surprised to say the least. We spent much of the morning searching the site-like 2 kids in a candy store. He knew the history back to 1900 but before that -not. I knew the history of el camino real and was stumped as this was no visita and too big to be a house but sure enough, it was something. Our guess was possibly a storehouse of some sort-possibly mission-era as these lands were cattle lands for the nearest mission..... but nothing in the way of a place name existed other than the family name of the ranch on which the site was located.

I asked Harry about it once and he, too, was perplexed because of the area. There are lots of mysteries in Baja. Finding one is a thrill that is hard to put into words. To this day no one has looked into what we found and it still lies hidden, disguised by deeply overgrown brush in a place far far from any road or trail fit for wheels.

David K - 3-10-2011 at 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GregN
Fascinating thread. I just read the entire discussion with interest and was surprised to see that a couple of you mentioned my book Baja Legends. Thanks. I appreciate your kind words. It goes to show that a "lost treasure" is always a hot topic. If I ever did a revision, I'd have to include these latest endeavors. Good luck. Greg

Thanks Greg!

Here's a photo of us back in Oct. 2000 at Viva Baja #1, just a bit before your second Baja book was published, Baja Legends...

Nomads also there at Viva Baja #1 who are online now, were Baja Amigos back then: Amo Pescar, Ken Cooke and Jack Swords were there, as well as Doug Means (Baja Nomad), Paulina, Taco Felix (Jay), David E, Juan del Rio, etc.

Baja has a way of getting into our blood and it becomes a lifelong addiction!

[Edited on 3-11-2011 by David K]

David K - 3-10-2011 at 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bucko
A few years back I was riding el camino real in a certain part of Baja. The camp one nite was at an old corral and I knew the history of the area and who owned the brand and lands now etc. The vaquero acting as guide pretty much traveled the area as a kid chasing cattle and discussed what he knew of the history in the old family.

The next morning I went exploring and found underneath heavy overgrown brush the rock foundation of a huge rectangular building. All that was left was the 4 corners and long wall bases-all of rock. The corners were perfectly squared.

I returned to camp and asked my friend about what I'd found. He was surprised and wanted to see the site. After a short hike I dug under the brush and showed him-he was surprised to say the least. We spent much of the morning searching the site-like 2 kids in a candy store. He knew the history back to 1900 but before that -not. I knew the history of el camino real and was stumped as this was no visita and too big to be a house but sure enough, it was something. Our guess was possibly a storehouse of some sort-possibly mission-era as these lands were cattle lands for the nearest mission..... but nothing in the way of a place name existed other than the family name of the ranch on which the site was located.

I asked Harry about it once and he, too, was perplexed because of the area. There are lots of mysteries in Baja. Finding one is a thrill that is hard to put into words. To this day no one has looked into what we found and it still lies hidden, disguised by deeply overgrown brush in a place far far from any road or trail fit for wheels.

Very cool Bucko... but unless you tell us where to see this stone foundation, we can't help with the research. Doesn't sound like anything novice archeologist could disturb, so no reason to keep it known to just snakes and lizards, eh?

If you want to share notes but keep it off the Internet, I have always honored those requests by their discoverers, drop me a note.

UPDATE FROM TW in San Felipe 3-11-11

David K - 3-11-2011 at 06:03 PM

I got a phone call from TW who had arrived in San Felipe today...

He went down Arroyo el Volcan...

The first site is what was thought to be a corral, large rectangle pad on the east side of the arroyo...

The arroyo cliff was perhaps 100 feet tall at that spot, so no way to see the corral feature...

On a short distance to the 'lost mission' location, on the west side of the arroyo...

"Just rocks and cactus" TW said... He climbed up for a closer look at the spot where elbeau though were arches... nothing there... TW told me he took 26 photos at the site.

I just telephoned elbeau in Texas to give him the news...

We are all curious to see the photos and see if we can figure out what would cause the affect seen on Google Earth.

Santa Isabel is still 'lost'... Keep searching Nomads (and don't forget the other lost mission in the Santa Clara Mountains near Punta Abreojos!

[Edited on 3-12-2011 by David K]

Pages:  1    3  ..  5