BajaNomad

mosquitoes breed in septic systems

sharktooth - 4-9-2011 at 10:20 AM

Not sure if this has been discussed before...

Just read a report which found that the vast majority of mosquitoes in arid areas such as Baja - come from septic systems. Septic systems are a great source of water and are the perfect environment for mosquitoes to lay eggs.

SOLUTION: $1 worth of metal screen placed over the top of all septic vents and sewer vents on the roof of the house.

This also applies to RV parks.

People who have placed screen over their septic vents report that mosquitoes soon vanished, and hundreds were trapped inside the screen within the first week (proving mosquitoes were hatching in the spetic system).

Curious if anyone else has ideas on this.

DENNIS - 4-9-2011 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sharktooth
Curious if anyone else has ideas on this.

Well...I'm not sure. I have a septic tank, but it's closed except for roof vents which are sixty feet away from the tank. I can't imagine that as being condusive to mosquito breeding.
If I had a mosquito problem, which I don't, I'd be looking around for standing water.

fishabductor - 4-9-2011 at 11:39 AM

the best solution is to pour about a 1/2 cup of diesel fuel into the septic tank. it forms a thin film over the water, that makes it impossible for mosquitos to breed.

[Edited on 4-9-2011 by fishabductor]

mcfez - 4-9-2011 at 11:41 AM

We use septic tanks here at the farm and Baja. I agree with DENNIS....hard to see that happening. Perhaps the access cover(s) are not completely sealed

norte - 4-9-2011 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor
the best solution is to pour about a 1/2 cup of diesel fuel into the septic tank. it forms a thin film over the water, that makes it impossible for mosquitos to breed.

And a perfect way to ruin yoour septic tank. Tanks need air to breed bacteria that breaks everything down so it can leach

DENNIS - 4-9-2011 at 11:44 AM

Also.....any water coming to the surface around the tank or the leach line would probably indicate a failed system and mosquitos will be the least of your problems.

DENNIS - 4-9-2011 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
And a perfect way to ruin yoour septic tank. Tanks need air to breed bacteria that breaks everything down so it can leach

Good point.

fishabductor - 4-9-2011 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:

People have been doing it out here for years, and I haven't heard of a failed system yet and many of these systems are over 20 yrs old.

mexican sewage systems

mtgoat666 - 4-9-2011 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

People have been doing it out here for years, and I haven't heard of a failed system yet and many of these systems are over 20 yrs old.

are these the same rocket scientists that design sewage systems incapable of taking toilet paper?

fishabductor - 4-9-2011 at 11:57 AM

It's a good thing you live in the city goat. You obviously have never lived off the grid, in the states on anywhere else for that matter.

sharktooth - 4-9-2011 at 11:58 AM

my septic system in california has a vent pipe near the tank - a 4 inch pipe that slightly sticks up from the ground.

Some septic systems may not have this? I don't know.

For a buck - I plan to place some screen over it once I return - nothing to lose, and don't like the thought of being bitten by a potential septic tank mosquito - at least it's my own poop!

norte - 4-9-2011 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I see you are an expert. Nothing I could say will change your treatment of the septic tank or contamination of the surrounding ground water.

fishabductor - 4-9-2011 at 12:08 PM

I have worked as an engineer on 2 municipal sewer treatment plants in WA state, and probably have a better idea than most here what it takes to break down solids, seperate garbage from biological waste, and treat waste water.

What is your background norte?

Actually I could care less, do what you will.

norte - 4-9-2011 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
I have worked as an engineer on 2 municipal sewer treatment plants in WA state, and probably have a better idea than most here what it takes to break down solids, seperate garbage from biological waste, and treat waste water.

What is your background norte?

Geeze you claim to have worked everywhere. Even a non-engineer knows not to mix hazardous chemicals in with their waste. Heaven help WA.

Paulclark - 4-9-2011 at 12:15 PM

Mosquitos commonly breed in septic tanks ---- follow this link

http://cchealth.org/topics/west_nile/septic_tanks.php

NoSh*t ?

MrBillM - 4-9-2011 at 12:16 PM

The only venting I've ever seen on Local Septic Tanks, including mine at various locations, have been the plumbing vent pipes on the house themselves. Never ADDED anything to the tanks, Never a problem over 35 years and never a Mosquito.

[Edited on 4-10-2011 by BajaNomad]

sharktooth - 4-9-2011 at 12:26 PM

Paul - Yes, I read an article similar to this one.

If you don't have mosquitoes - good for you...may want to add the screen to your roof and septic vents anyway.

If you do have mosquitoes - definitely put screens on all septic and roof vents.

Technically, mosquitoes should not thrive in Baja - especially during the dry season.

$1 screen beats slathering yourself in DEET or Avon stinky crap 24 hours a day.

$1 screen sounds better than diesel fuel too.

fishbrain the wwtp operator - watch out east cape!

mtgoat666 - 4-9-2011 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
It's a good thing you live in the city goat. You obviously have never lived off the grid, in the states on anywhere else for that matter.

fishbrain:
have had three houses with septic tanks, flushed my TP at each one, and never used diesel in tank. you are a one dumb bunny. pouring diesel into a septic tank. keep up the good work, fishbrain.

p.s. waiting to hear which WA state treatment plants use diesel,... what engineering firm designed the plants? i think WA state licenses treatment plant operators - did you get a license? i doubt it!

diesel layer covering water in tank!
:lol::lol:

mtgoat666 - 4-9-2011 at 12:51 PM

Quote:

are you a PE?

which engineering firm recommends adding diesel to septic tanks? please tell me, i want to make sure i blacklist them and anyone foolish enough to list that firm on their resume.

Cypress - 4-9-2011 at 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
The only venting I've ever seen on Local Septic Tanks, including mine at various locations, have been the plumbing vent pipes on the house themselves. Never ADDED anything to the tanks, Never a problem over 35 years and never a Mosquito.

The operative word here is "anaerobic". Septic tanks operate on the anaerobic process. All living things other than plants need oxygen. You've got mosquitos breeding in your septic tank? Your septic system has a malfunction somewhere.

Bob and Susan - 4-9-2011 at 02:38 PM

do not put diesel in a septic tank
it WILL ruin the system

a septic system needs air
some systems even include an air pump

vents only need to be on the toilet and sinks
(like on the roof)
not on the tank

if you have mosquitoes...there is another problem
maybe leakage...

nerver open a tank unless you HAVE to:light:

DENNIS - 4-9-2011 at 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulclark
Mosquitos commonly breed in septic tanks ----

Only in improperly covered tanks. No way all tanks. That's baloney.

mcfez - 4-9-2011 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

are you a PE?

which engineering firm recommends adding diesel to septic tanks? please tell me, i want to make sure i blacklist them and anyone foolish enough to list that firm on their resume.

Goat must be correct. He is full of crapola all day long here. I say he is a expert on the "matter".

[Edited on 4-9-2011 by mcfez]

DENNIS - 4-9-2011 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM

And that's the way it should be.

BajaGringo - 4-9-2011 at 05:30 PM

Quote:

Probably not a good idea. It will have a negative impact on the aerobic bacteria colony living in your septic tank both by depleting available oxygen and coating the discharged solids, making them much more difficult to break down in the system by the same bacteria.

There is a reason why all municipal wastewater districts put strict limits on oil and grease content of wasterwater discharged to the sewer. Based on your stated experience, that is something you should really know.

:rolleyes:

I have lived in homes with septic systems for a major part of my life and have never witnessed the mosquito problem. Not saying it couldn't happen, but...

:?:

[Edited on 4-10-2011 by BajaGringo]

DENNIS - 4-9-2011 at 05:38 PM

What a bunch of sht.

BajaGringo - 4-9-2011 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
What a bunch of sht.

The mosquito problem or the negative impact of diesel???

[Edited on 4-10-2011 by BajaGringo]

mcfez - 4-9-2011 at 07:01 PM

When I was young on Saturday nights...I'd be doing the town.

Now.....I just sit here and read about poop all night :D

images.jpg - 10kB

DENNIS - 4-9-2011 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
The mosquito problem or the negative impact of diesel???

Everything. It's one of those days.

BajaGringo - 4-9-2011 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
Everything. It's one of those days.

Sorry to hear that bud. Next round is on me...

mulegemichael - 4-9-2011 at 08:29 PM

and cypress....actually, septic/sewer systems are best when they act in the "aerobic" class...not anaerobic...the microbes that break down our waste need air or "oxygen" to work...without the beneficial microbes your septic tank would become very very stinky...and you wouldn't like it...back when i was a ranger, we would have to go out to the backcountry pit toilets and dump in packets of inert beneficial microbes...with the heat and the moisture that they would then encounter, they would joyfully then start munching up on the goodness of our bodily waste and keep your/our septic system working with hardly having to work..all that poop, with a little luck, would be consumed in a short time period...as long as someone didn't come along and dump some diesel in it...oh wow!!

wessongroup - 4-9-2011 at 08:31 PM

Go watch some Rockford Files.. and see how the "Valley" and the "freeways" looked in 1975... vacant land all over the place... really a time warp... watch out, ya might see some "green flashes"... :lol::lol:

Damn, can't believe used to think it was crowded back then...

Bugman - 4-13-2011 at 04:59 PM

The same species of mosquito that transmits West Nile virus among other viuruses is very happy breeding in the organic paradise that is a septic tank. If they have any access at all they will find their way in and begin breeding so please screen off those vents with fine mesh material. They did a study up in Orange County California to see how far mosquitoes would fly through a narrow pipe to get to a stagnant water source and they ran out of pipe (over 100') before they found the limit they would fly. Don't underestimate these little buggers! :yes:
PS I work for a large mosquito control program so this is the kind of stuff I deal with everyday.

Those were the Days !

MrBillM - 4-13-2011 at 05:36 PM

As a matter of fact,YES, it did seem crowded back in those (Rockford ?) days and before. IF we'd only KNOWN.

Speaking of which, last night I was watching the first episodes of Richard Kimble on the run in '63.

For those who'd like a look back on L.A. when it was still a decent town, try "My Gun is Quick" (1957). Typical Mediocre B-Movie BUT LOTS of outdoor L.A. and Long Beach footage. A kick for anyone (like myself) who grew up in the area at the time.

Jim/Liisa - 4-13-2011 at 06:26 PM

They enter and exit thrugh your vent pipe. If you think you don't have one your realy looking for trouble.

Cypress - 4-13-2011 at 06:30 PM

Wastewater sytems are usually vented through the roofs of homes.:)

Jim/Liisa - 4-13-2011 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Wastewater sytems are usually vented through the roofs of homes.:)

And? [Edited on 02-05-2011 by Jim/Liisa]

[Edited on 02-05-2011 by Jim/Liisa]

sharktooth - 4-15-2011 at 09:39 AM

Great info bugman -

ALSO - i am not a septic expert, but MY house in california has 2 different vents for the septic.

1: multiple vents on the roof of my house

2: a vent pipe coming out of the ground near my septic tank

My septic lid is totally buried in soil, but their is a vent pipe a few feet from the tank sticking out of the ground.

Not sure if this is typical - but the studies I have read advise to screen - ALL VENTS - the roof vents and the ground septic vents (if you have them).

And yes, it is the nasty mosquitos (west nile, dengue, etc transimitters) that prefer septic systems.

So do yourself and your neighbors a favor and screen all vents to be safe. Less than $5 material (screen and hose clamps) and an hour or less of work could make a big difference!

don't fall off your roof or into your tank! - cheers

Cypress - 4-15-2011 at 09:48 AM

Jim/Liisa, And the methane gas is dispersed into the air.

vandenberg - 4-15-2011 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Jim/Liisa, And the methane gas is dispersed into the air.

If you eat enough beans, you could instal one of those eternal flames on your roof, like a refinery?:?::biggrin:

DENNIS - 4-15-2011 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sharktooth
2: a vent pipe coming out of the ground near my septic tank

You can do away with that vent. It isn't necessary and it's too close to nose level.

MsTerieus - 11-25-2012 at 06:56 PM

I just found this site in a search for "mosquitoes," which are breeding in the septic tank serving my rental house. The problem appears to be cracks/hole in the "lid" to the tank. My landlord, who owns a major portion of this area, including several vacant houses, would barely look at the swarm of mosquitoes I showed him and just kept saying, when I asked him to fix the leaks, "... there is nothing I can do. Mosquitoes are everywhere here." ( I'll BET they are - probably breeding in every septic tank in his vacant houses!) When I finally got him to acknowledge at least one hole in the lid, where the pests were flying in and out as we spoke, he graciously - well, grudgingly, actually - said "Well OK. I'll go get a rag to stick in it."

I told him "no thanks" and stuck a rag in, myself (and sprayed the area w/malathion), but am wondering about whether calking would work, temporarily. (I can't/won't seal the lid shut or pay money to fix my landlord's septic lids permanently.)

I ALSO wonder: Is there a government agency (e.g., Health Department) that might possibly be interested in this problem? (There are, indeed, a lot of mosquitoes in my neighborhood, despite its windy, relatively cool weather.)

[Edited on 11-26-2012 by MsTerieus]

woody with a view - 11-25-2012 at 07:01 PM

a tube of caulking will set you back about $5. i can't believe $5 is too much to potentially save you from west nile virus!

MsTerieus - 11-25-2012 at 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
a tube of caulking will set you back about $5. i can't believe $5 is too much to potentially save you from west nile virus!

You misunderstood my post. I asked about whether caulking would work because that much I am willing to spend. (Actually I have some already.)

DENNIS - 11-25-2012 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MsTerieus
(I can't/won't seal the lid shut or pay money to fix my landlord's septic lids permanently.)

Jeeezo....where did you move to? Sounds as though you took a drop in life-style.
I wouldn't do business with a landlord who was so uncaring and inconsiderate. Move on.

DENNIS - 11-25-2012 at 08:20 PM

Another thing....you probably don't have a septic tank. More likely it's a cesspool. Go to QUIMICAL in Maneadero and get a spray for mosquitos and kill them....before they kill you.

MsTerieus - 11-25-2012 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
(I can't/won't seal the lid shut or pay money to fix my landlord's septic lids permanently.)

Jeeezo....where did you move to? Sounds as though you took a drop in life-style.
I wouldn't do business with a landlord who was so uncaring and inconsiderate. Move on.

Still in same neighborhood, Dennis. My landlord owns most of it. (He's old, old-fashioned, and Mexican.) The homes look like a million dollars (much more, if in CA), so I did not expect to have a drop in lifestyle, but the homes are badly built (which I knew), and the landlord is not too helpful (which I did not).
It's a touchy situation, as I really don't want to alienate him or his (big) family, since they are almost the "only game in town" (i.e., this part of PB). :(

MsTerieus - 11-25-2012 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Another thing....you probably don't have a septic tank. More likely it's a cesspool. Go to QUIMICAL in Maneadero and get a spray for mosquitos and kill them....before they kill you.

I sprayed the entire yard with malathion, yesterday. I think it killed everything but I haven't checked, today, other than to spot one mosquito flying around the living room. (The spraying was the 3rd or 4th time I have sprayed the outside, with either malathion or with Home Defense, because before the mosquitoes - and still - I have been inundated with ants. Of course, I've been spraying the inside of the house too, and using baits, for the ants.)

At this point, I probably should worry more about pesticide poisoning than mosquito-carried disease.
:(

DENNIS - 11-25-2012 at 09:18 PM

Quote:
since they are almost the "only game in town" (i.e., this part of PB). :(

Personally, living up there in the clouds wouldn't be adaquate compensation for the landlord abuse, for me anyway. There are other areas with nice rentals around here and you wouldn't have to put up with that crappy road.

durrelllrobert - 11-26-2012 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Mosquitoes are everywhere here." ( I'll BET they are - probably breeding in every septic tank in his vacant houses!) I ALSO wonder: Is there a government agency (e.g., Health Department) that might possibly be interested in this problem? (There are, indeed, a lot of mosquitoes in my neighborhood, despite its windy, relatively cool weather.)

Solving the problem at your house doesn't PERMANENTLY fix the problem if the neighborhood is infested since they will just keep comming back. That's why CA doesn't treat the hole-in-the ground type toilets in the restrooms at remote rest stops and campgrounds.

MsTerieus - 11-26-2012 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Mosquitoes are everywhere here." ( I'll BET they are - probably breeding in every septic tank in his vacant houses!) I ALSO wonder: Is there a government agency (e.g., Health Department) that might possibly be interested in this problem? (There are, indeed, a lot of mosquitoes in my neighborhood, despite its windy, relatively cool weather.)

Solving the problem at your house doesn't PERMANENTLY fix the problem if the neighborhood is infested since they will just keep comming back. That's why CA doesn't treat the hole-in-the ground type toilets in the restrooms at remote rest stops and campgrounds.

But "permanently" fixing my septic would at least keep most of them from swarming around my house and in through my doors.

I really would like to know if there is not a government agency that (at least, on paper) deals with mosquito infestations, just so I have the information.

DENNIS - 11-26-2012 at 01:31 PM

Quote:
I really would like to know if there is not a government agency that (at least, on paper) deals with mosquito infestations, just so I have the information.

There was and probably still is. When I lived in town, I'd see pickups with spray equipment and signs on the side that said...... ANTI PALUDISMO. That's Malaria in the local lingo.
Contact the health department and make your inquiry.

http://www.salud.gob.mx/

[Edited on 11-26-2012 by DENNIS]

MsTerieus - 11-26-2012 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:

There was and probably still is. When I lived in town, I'd see pickups with spray equipment and signs on the side that said...... ANTI PALUDISMO. That's Malaria in the local lingo.
Contact the health department and make your inquiry.

http://www.salud.gob.mx/

Thank you, Dennis. I HAD searched the Salud website and seen many articles/references relating to "mosquitos", "malaria," etc. but did not know who (which department or division) might be in charge or whether anyone worked on this in the State of BC. Not being fluent in Espanol, I sort of stalled there. I just tried searching further, and even when shown a list of the "commissions" and sub-departments of the agency, I cannot discern which (if any) are connected to public health problems such as mosquito control.

DENNIS - 11-26-2012 at 02:18 PM

Then call the Dept of Tourism and say you're a visitor and being eaten alive. They speak English and should steer you in the right direction

bajaguy - 11-26-2012 at 02:58 PM

Quote:

For the Municipality of Ensenada, e-mail this guy. He can either point you in the right direction or send the info to someone in the Municipal government:

Xavier Rivas xavier@rivas.com

Islandbuilder - 11-26-2012 at 09:14 PM

Earlier you mentioned that you had two vents; one on the roof, and one near your (supposed location) septic tank. A suggestion was made to tear it out, because it's a bad place for a vent. True. But it may be a pumpout standpipe, and removing it might make things much worse.
I suggest that you measure it (4" probably) and buy a PVC glue on cap, and just slip it over the pipe without gluing it.
I also suggest buying a bit of patching cement, it comes in 1 to 5 pound boxes NOB, and use that to patch cracks in septic tank lids (assuming the lid is cast concrete). If the lid is plastic, then siliconized caulk is likely your best bet.
I see no problem with putting screen over the roof vent, except for the danger to you to install it. If it plugs up, you'll notice the house smelling bad, if it does, get that screen off there ASAP so you don't turn the place into a methane bomb.
A properly functioning septic tank shouldn't have much odor, but it needs lots of air and lots of aerobic bacteria to make it work right If it stinks, not enough air, and the wrong kind of wee beasties.
You can fix that by getting air back into the tank (un-plugging the vent screen) and buying a few containers of Septic Tank bacteria. Not sure where to find it in your area, but a plumber should know.

Good luck.

as somebody said to somebody else, "Put a sock in it!"

Mulegena - 11-26-2012 at 10:31 PM

So, to allow air to vent but to keep the sancudos at bay, could I put an old cotton sock over the 4-inch vent pipe? One of those big, grey ones that my husband wears for work that's lost its mate to the washing machine grinches?

DENNIS - 11-27-2012 at 08:31 AM

As I mentioned earlier, it's probably a cesspool rather than a properly built septic system which will breath/vent through the plumbing vent lines.
I know the area and the local level of knowledge of septic systems and they call everything a septic tank without having a clue as to what it means.
In the first place, her cesspool probably needs to be pumped. That would be the first step.
Oh well.......this will go nowhere so good luck.

relocate to Baja Home Building section

Mulegena - 11-27-2012 at 06:14 PM

I'm reading this thread with genuine interest as husband and I are building our home here.

I don't know much more than beans about septic systems vs. cesspools.

I do know our temporary rental trailer's in-ground holding system has a standing 4-inch pipe which is open at the top. I also know there are mega skeeters around our camp. Could the buggers be coming out of there?

Mulegena

desertcpl - 11-27-2012 at 06:27 PM

I would guess yes they are coming out of the vent

Martyman - 11-27-2012 at 07:00 PM

Septic tanks have aerobic and anaerobic zones within. I've been a turdherder for years and frankly, it hardly fecal matters

DENNIS - 11-27-2012 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Could the buggers be coming out of there?

Could be. There or some other source of standing water.
Put some screen over all openings.

DENNIS - 11-27-2012 at 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
it hardly fecal matters

:lol: Must be an industry zinger. :lol:

MsTerieus - 11-28-2012 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, it's probably a cesspool rather than a properly built septic system which will breath/vent through the plumbing vent lines.
I know the area and the local level of knowledge of septic systems and they call everything a septic tank without having a clue as to what it means.
In the first place, her cesspool probably needs to be pumped. That would be the first step.

I strongly doubt it is a cesspool. 1) Most homes in my neighborhood were built with septic tanks, as I understand it. 2) The house I vacated last August, nearby, has a septic tank. 3) The guy who built the house I recently vacated also built the house I am occupying (unfortunately). 4) When discussing the "septic tank" to my landlord and with his sons, one of whom built many of the houses up here, they referred to it as a "septic tank" and/or never corrected me.

bajaguy - 11-28-2012 at 10:30 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I strongly doubt it is a cesspool. 1) Most homes in my neighborhood were built with septic tanks, as I understand it. 2) The house I vacated last August, nearby, has a septic tank. 3) The guy who built the house I recently vacated also built the house I am occupying (unfortunately). 4) When discussing the "septic tank" to my landlord and with his sons, one of whom built many of the houses up here, they referred to it as a "septic tank" and/or never corrected me.

I sincerely doubt they installed a two chamber tank and there are leach lines with drain rock

MsTerieus - 11-28-2012 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Islandbuilder
Earlier you mentioned that you had two vents; one on the roof, and one near your (supposed location) septic tank. A suggestion was made to tear it out, because it's a bad place for a vent. True. But it may be a pumpout standpipe, and removing it might make things much worse.
I suggest that you measure it (4" probably) and buy a PVC glue on cap, and just slip it over the pipe without gluing it.
I also suggest buying a bit of patching cement, it comes in 1 to 5 pound boxes NOB, and use that to patch cracks in septic tank lids (assuming the lid is cast concrete). If the lid is plastic, then siliconized caulk is likely your best bet.
I see no problem with putting screen over the roof vent, except for the danger to you to install it. If it plugs up, you'll notice the house smelling bad, if it does, get that screen off there ASAP so you don't turn the place into a methane bomb.
A properly functioning septic tank shouldn't have much odor, but it needs lots of air and lots of aerobic bacteria to make it work right If it stinks, not enough air, and the wrong kind of wee beasties.
You can fix that by getting air back into the tank (un-plugging the vent screen) and buying a few containers of Septic Tank bacteria. Not sure where to find it in your area, but a plumber should know.

Good luck.

I am not sure you your advice was directed to, IB: I'm the one with leaks in the lid, but I never mentioned vents, and since my septic tank is buried in the ground at a level lower than my house, I don't think there could be any pipes in the roof. Thank you for the suggestions on patching the concrete lid. Would silicone or caulk not work for, say, 8-9 months? (It would just be easier for me, plus, I already have them on hand.)

bajaguy - 11-28-2012 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Islandbuilder

Good luck.

I am not sure you your advice was directed to, IB: I'm the one with leaks in the lid, but I never mentioned vents, and since my septic tank is buried in the ground at a level lower than my house, I don't think there could be any pipes in the roof. Thank you for the suggestions on patching the concrete lid. Would silicone or caulk not work for, say, 8-9 months? (It would just be easier for me, plus, I already have them on hand.)

The pipes on the roof are waste vent pipes......I have seen very few here in Baja

MsTerieus - 11-28-2012 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:

For the Municipality of Ensenada, e-mail this guy. He can either point you in the right direction or send the info to someone in the Municipal government:

Xavier Rivas xavier@rivas.com

Thanks, Bajaguy and Dennis. I did not know about the Dept. of Tourism. I emailed Xavier with my question and he replied quickly. (Initially, he said he was in the process of having someone in his office REPORT this "health problem" to the authorities. I replied that I did not wish to do that, at this point, I just wanted the info.) Xavier asked someone with whom he works to provide me with info on who I should contact, if need be.

Meanwhile, the (malathion-soaked) rag I shoved into the leaky lid seems to be doing the trick. :)

MsTerieus - 11-28-2012 at 10:41 AM

Quote:

If "her" means me, then I should add that this house has been occupied for only 16 months of its life, so I don't know why the septic would need pumping. As to where it vents - hmmm, I thought I saw a couple of PVC pipes sticking out of the concrete slab that covers the tank, but just what they are/do, I haven't a clue.

bajaguy - 11-28-2012 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:

The roof vent pipes also help the sinks, tub/shower and toilet drain properly

If "her" means me, then I should add that this house has been occupied for only 16 months of its life, so I don't know why the septic would need pumping. As to where it vents - hmmm, I thought I saw a couple of PVC pipes sticking out of the concrete slab that covers the tank, but just what they are/do, I haven't a clue.

laventana - 6-3-2013 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bugman
The same species of mosquito that transmits West Nile virus among other viuruses is very happy breeding in the organic paradise that is a septic tank. If they have any access at all they will find their way in and begin breeding so please screen off those vents with fine mesh material. They did a study up in Orange County California to see how far mosquitoes would fly through a narrow pipe to get to a stagnant water source and they ran out of pipe (over 100') before they found the limit they would fly. Don't underestimate these little buggers! :yes:
PS I work for a large mosquito control program so this is the kind of stuff I deal with everyday.
I am the one who is responsible for bringing up this subject concept and trying to get people to screen off septic systems and house vents.

At my webpage www.la-ventana.info under how to stop mosquitoes with a 10 cent screen.

A bit of common sense. Yes how else do they breed, in baja sur we have 2-5 days of rain a year and it is is windy or dry so water does not sit for breeding.

I discovered it when I bought down here in 1999, first thing I did is modified my septic system from a standard one to allow me to flush toilet paper and have it break down. A reason you do have a vent on the tank is to prevent back-flow problems in case the pipes were not the right large enough diameter, else you can have a condition were it sucks the water out of your house traps. So I also put in a clean-out door on the system. Because it was built in the summer when I was not here first thing I did was open the trap to inspect that chamber 1 was holding liquid. And when I opened it a bunch of mosquitoes flew out at me. First thought is ick if they are breeding in that yuck. So immediately cover the vent and in a week no more mosquitoes on my property.

Then a year later a very large campground not far from me was infested with mosquitoes. I gave them a present of the non-believers and said cover the 4 inch septic vents and you will not have mosquitoes. They did and what they told me was in the morning they looked in the white pipe and it was black, there were thousands wanting out. In a week they literally went from you could not be outside in the evening to almost nothing. This has been repeated there a few times when the screens fall off over the years.

When the two hurricanes hit one month apart i think in 2003 this allowed standing water and we had an epidemic of dengue and I came down to my local area to see if I could get them to do something, talked to the Ejido and they said they would hold a meeting, but never did. So read in the world health organization that adults are generally not a good way to effect change, so went to the schools and talked to the kids and gave them screen and wire. The kids were amazing; they went and did as many as they could. A friend who lived in the village said he went from 100s of mosquitos in his house to about 5 or so a night. Again this happens fast about a week you see the difference. This mosquito has a typical range of 100 yards.

Remember in the desert they need a place to rest that has humidity. (that is why on plants that give off moisture they will rest on the bottom of the leaf. (a friend of mine was in the military and he was involved in mosquito testing to prevent biological warfare using mosquitoes, so learned a lot about the behavior from him, how they see in infrared track carbon dioxide) so mosquitoes fly back to the septic system that is also an ideal resting place that has the moisture levels they need.

I have people reporting to me they have seen cracks in septic tanks where clouds of them fly out here in the baja at dusk, same with a report of a septic tube where they could see a cloud of them flying out.

Also I have a link to a florida home where they could not figure it out, they leave the home in the summer and lock it up and find many dead mosquitos and alive when they return in winter. It was finally figured out that the sink water traps dry out and they enter the home from there and this was on a city sewage system but they have a house stink tubes as all houses do in the USA mandated by code.

I was always told by medical people and experts that this dengue carrying AE mosquito cannot breed in septic systems so they dismissed my findings. Yet in baja sur this is the only mosquito we have all others cannot handle our environment to date. Well finally I found a article the department of defense did a study in Puerto Rico, and did find them in many septic systems. But not all, again some septic systems may have very narrow vent tubes and other variations in design. But as I mentions one septic system is capable of clouds. After all they tell you even a bottle cap with water will be a problem at a home after a rain.
Now what I tried to do was get funding from the Gates foundation to actually use this to our advantage. So we know they fly in so it is a natural lure/bait. So why not make this journey a one way one. I.E. a one way trap. That is what I am looking for funding for. Gates foundation denied me, why I do not know maybe it is not a sexy approach? If anyone has the connections to help me I would appreciate it.

I have many links on my website
www.la-ventana.info under mosquitoes.

[Edited on 6-3-2013 by laventana]

monoloco - 6-3-2013 at 09:51 AM

Great post laventana. I would like to add that polyurethane caulk is much more effective than silicone in fixing cracks in concrete.

laventana - 6-4-2013 at 09:09 AM

There is also a very positive new attempt to stop the AE mosquito. I have it listed on my site too. Basically they found a germ that is in many insects and they put it in fruit flies that shortened their life cycle.

So they did this with the dengue carrying AE mosquito. IE to try to shorten its life which would decrease dengue transmission. It turned out with this bacteria maybe it was a virus that the mosquito would no longer carry dengue which was not anticipated. This worked in one island, and a country in south america is going to be the next test. It takes about 2 years to develop the strain to be released to breed with the other mosquitoes.

I still think my trap solves a different need if that does work.

[Edited on 6-4-2013 by laventana]

DENNIS - 6-4-2013 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by laventana

The vent coming straight up from the tank is unnecessary if the tank vents through the house plumbing. Why is it there?

Mulegena - 6-4-2013 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:

The vent coming straight up from the tank is unnecessary if the tank vents through the house plumbing. Why is it there?
I'm guessing the short tank vent is capped and placed so the tank can be cleaned out.

The screen on the house vent is essential. Thanks to this thread I questioned my husband about this; yes, its screened to keep skeeters out. They're still attracted to it and will come around, but can't get in to nest and breed.

I've found out that most people do not screen their vent-valves down here-- ick!

I like the screen-funnel-trap as it acts as a mosquito abatement system. If every house had one it might make a real difference down here in the very humid parts of Baja.

DENNIS - 6-4-2013 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm guessing the short tank vent is capped and placed so the tank can be cleaned out.

I figured it was there only for illustration, but I thought there may be some here who don't know about such things and might benefit from it in the future. :biggrin:

SEPTIC

J.P. - 6-4-2013 at 12:14 PM

CESPOOL is a closed tank which requires pumping
CESPIT is what most houses have down here it works much like a single chamber Septic tank with the exception of leach lines
The Cespit has openings all around the top half for fluid to leach out and the bottom half collects the sludge. I have lived in my house for 10years and it has never needed pumping. We use it like you would a system in the States which includes flushing paper and drain for the washing machine Never a problem.
although this system has been outlawed in Most of the U.S. it is the most prevalent system in use here.

[Edited on 6-4-2013 by J.P.]

DENNIS - 6-4-2013 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
I have lived in my house for 10years and it has never needed pumping.

That's probably because you live on a steep hillside, doncha think, John? I wouldn't want to see soil samples of all the tenants at Packard that live at a lower level than yours.....and there are a lot of them.

By the way.....I think a cesspool and a cesspit are the same thing.

[Edited on 6-4-2013 by DENNIS]

soil

J.P. - 6-4-2013 at 01:12 PM

Not so my house is less than 100yds from the water and the soil is no more or less tainted than it would be in any other neighborhood.
the soil here is quite sandy I am more worried about what would happen if it ever became saturated to the point it turns liquid. what a landslide.
as far as the septic goes I am ok with what I have and whether or not you will admit it or not you are a minority of one with the system you have in your neighbor hood. which I agree with you they should be more. But it is what it is.

You are right about the usage of the two words they are the same so is Septic they are all components of a waste removal system.

[Edited on 6-4-2013 by J.P.]

laventana - 6-4-2013 at 01:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I figured it was there only for illustration, but I thought there may be some here who don't know about such things and might benefit from it in the future. :biggrin:
correct because most in my area are constructed this way, but if the piping is small diameter or they did not put in stink tubes (vents in the house ) which I have seen many times in the construction down here, you will need the bleed off tube at the septic tank. BTW in Europe they do not always use stink tubes. They use a product like this that can be found in the US at home depots. It is spring loaded. I put them in my place so I would not have to run stink tubes. Many people down here use their roof tops and boy you can tell who vent upwind stink tubes or not. There is also a spring loaded one designed for stink tubes and outside sun. Using these I did not have to have stink tubes all over just one that was not in a typical location.

[Edited on 6-4-2013 by laventana]

DENNIS - 6-4-2013 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
I put them in my place so I would not have to run stink tubes.

Just turn them into TIKI torches. "Hydrogen Sulfide" burns well.

Years ago in West Newport, we rented a house that sat over an old capped oil well and there was a strong hydrogen sulfide odor in the area. The builder sank tubes into the ground that stretched above the second story roof and attached large torch heads. They burned like the torch on Kennedy's grave.