BajaNomad

12 month lease, rental wanted, 2+ bdrm, 2 bath

Mudhen - 5-13-2011 at 01:00 PM

Hello all,

I have read many posts here, just signed up today. Thank you for the valuable resource, and being willing to share so much!

I am looking for a furnished rental home in Baja Norte, within say 2 hours of the border. I have made two scouting trips looking at areas and collecting phone numbers, I also thought I'd try here.

I am not committed to any one area mostly because I don't know enough. ;)

What I am looking for: A clean freestanding place in a quiet area, with beautiful surroundings and fresh air. Ocean is nice, but so are rolling hills, trees, and even the open expanses of the desert.
Internet access is necessary.
I am looking for place of respite.

What I bring to the table: The place would be rented by my friend and myself, both mature women, we can give references and verify income. I am somewhat fastidious and would care for your home as my own. We are looking for the place to use a s a place of self restoration. When we brought guests, it would be for the same reason. We are long past our wild party years.
No pets, smoking Only outside. We are stable, no drama, friendly. I speak toddler Spanish, but am learning.

I have spent a lot of time traveling around Playas de TJ, Ensenada, Ruta del Vino the last couple years. I love what I know of Baja. :)

Thanks for your attention.

Kind regards,
B

If I can answer any other questions, please let me know.

Mudhen - 5-13-2011 at 01:06 PM

I want to add that June would not be too soon, and July okay as well. I would like to stay at least a year.

DENNIS - 5-13-2011 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mudhen
I am looking for place of respite.

Let me get one fundamental out of the way before I go on.
Regardless of your perceived level of self-sufficiency, don't allow yourselves to become too isolated in your quest for peace and quiet.
That would be a mistake here, there or anywhere.

Punta Banda is within your limit....just barely. I mention it because it's quiet and picturesque, and there are guite a few places for rent.

If you would like to pursue this further, let me know and I'll line you up with a local lady who handles property. She's honest and trustworthy, otherwise I wouldn't be mentioning her. I won't mention any other.

Mudhen - 5-13-2011 at 01:52 PM

Thanks, Dennis.

I tend to be very social/communal, but quiet.
I will think on what you said.

I would welcome your friend's info, and will do what research I can on Punta Banda on the net.

B

DENNIS - 5-13-2011 at 02:02 PM

Quote:
I would welcome your friend's info, and will do what research I can on Punta Banda on the net.

B

I sent you a U2U....upper right.

It's a Buyer's Market and the Sharks Are Circling

Gypsy Jan - 5-13-2011 at 02:13 PM

And when no one is buying, then it is a Renter's market.

Last time I looked, the many various real estate websites had rentals galore, in gated communities that were built to up to sell to the gringo market.

Try doing a web search with keywords "Rosarito real estate" or "Baja Malibu" or "San Antonio del Mar", all of which are within your two-hour commute limit.

Both "Rancho Descanso, Rosarito" and "Medio Camino, Rosarito" are just at the far end of your desired commute.

I must respectfully disagree with Dennis about the commute time from Punta Banda. It is a beautiful and peaceful location, but it is a three-to-four hour commute away from just getting in line to wait to go back across the border (the free road and even the toll road highway to Ensenada, while breathtaking, makes the highway through Big Sur look like a beginner's road trip, especially when the fog is in).

[Edited on 5-13-2011 by Gypsy Jan]

Mudhen - 5-13-2011 at 02:23 PM

"Last time I looked, the many various real estate websites had rentals galore, in gated communities that were built to up to sell to the gringo market."

The reason I've come to this site, and driven around myself, was to get more insight and get a feel for the places and peoples than a commercial real estate site can offer. I'm not specifically looking for a gated community. I tend to be less exclusive than that.

Thank you much for the info on places to research, and for your experience with how far Punta Banda is! The two hour limit was a bit arbitrary, perhaps wishful. I'm looking at all options.

Kind regards,
B

B

DENNIS - 5-13-2011 at 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
I must respectfully disagree with Dennis about the commute time from Punta Banda. It is a beautiful and peaceful location, but it is a three-to-four hour commute away from just getting in line to wait to go back across the border

No way, Jan. The times I give are good anytime except in morning work traffic. From my place to the first toll booth...30 to 40 minutes.
Toll booth to the line, 90 minutes. That's for me and I'm the slowest driver on the road.

Well, I Do Have a Tendency to Get Lost

Gypsy Jan - 5-13-2011 at 02:32 PM

:yes: :spingrin: :yes: :spingrin:

mtgoat666 - 5-13-2011 at 02:40 PM

big diff between ensenada and border zone, so do your research.

it takes longer to drive to ensenada, but ensenada is "baja." the rosarito-TJ corridor is not "baja."the TJ-rosarito corridor is its own thing, it just ain't baja, it is border-zone-urban-culture, with little resemblance to rest of the penninsula.

Mudhen - 5-13-2011 at 02:45 PM

Goatperson,

Thanks for clarification. I am learning, and appreciate you taking the time.

B

krafty - 5-13-2011 at 03:05 PM

Mudhen, check U2U

Gypsy Jan - 5-13-2011 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Goatperson,

Thanks for clarification. I am learning, and appreciate you taking the time.

B

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mudhen, you are going to do just fine in Baja and I wish you good luck in your search for a happy home!

GJ

BajaBlanca - 5-13-2011 at 06:54 PM

welcom to bajaNomads !! best of luck on your search for a place of respite...

Mudhen - 5-13-2011 at 06:57 PM

You know, that means a lot. Thank you Blanca and Jan.
I've learned much here already, in other topics. I was a little afraid to post as some folk seem to get mildly roasted, but this seems like a good (read odd, intelligent) bunch.

B

surfdoc - 5-13-2011 at 08:29 PM

Mudhen
Please don't label this as inteligant...as i"ve been on the Rojo's all afternoon!

But a stop at Angels camp may be inline, he is just south of La Selena.
You need to use solar for power... but as close to Baja experiance (ie peaceful and secure) as I think you can get in that area!

[Edited on 5-14-2011 by surfdoc]

Mudhen - 5-13-2011 at 08:34 PM

I'll look up Angel's and La Selena....but what does "on the rojo's" mean? My only association is rojos=reds, which are a pill I don't think one can get anymore....:)

Thanks for the info, surfdoc.

B

jenny.navarrette - 5-13-2011 at 08:35 PM

Quote:

What I am looking for: A clean freestanding place in a quiet area, with beautiful surroundings and fresh air...I am looking for place of respite.

You're looking for what does not exist in Mexico. I know you will not believe me now, as all the Mexico enablers here have no qualms about not telling you the truth.

Mexico is a heart attack to live in, even for Mexicans. It is even worse for gringos. The crime rate is off the scale. Northern Baja, including Punta Banda, is crime central for home robberies of gringos. The police will not help you nor will they protect you.

Other people have drifted into this forum asking for the same thing as you, follwed the "advice" given here, and have had their clocks cleaned out by Mexico. You should search this forum for the story of Diana Giannelli, who only wanted what you wanted, may her soul rest in peace.

I'm only posting this so I have the right to say "I told you so," in a few months. I'm sure the Nomads will convince you I am wrong.

surfdoc - 5-13-2011 at 08:39 PM

Rojos is

Tecate Reds........ie NOT Blancas or light! :D

As far as the post above me........can't disagree as far as that area of Northern Baja...

I'll only state what I tell everyone that asks about moving to Mx.......Don't put into anything you are not willing to loose...

I'm loving living in Asuncion... and NO thoughts of ever going back North!

Mudhen - 5-13-2011 at 08:43 PM

Jenny, sounds like you've had some bad experiences.

I have had my home robbed in the USA, it happens anywhere some folk have what others don't.

I will take my risks, and exercise good sense, as I would anywhere. I'll look for the Diane story, so I can see more where you're coming from.

Do you have some specific precautions you'd care to share?
I think you are writing because you have concern that I avoid mishap, maybe not just to be able to say "I told you so". ;)

So, thanks for that.
B

DENNIS - 5-13-2011 at 08:47 PM

I think Jenny could tell you lots of things. Perhaps put up a link or two. :lol::lol:

jenny.navarrette - 5-13-2011 at 08:48 PM

Quote:
Jenny, sounds like you've had some bad experiences.
B

Every single person posting here has had bad experiences in Mexico. But most who post glowingly of Mexico here are stuck down there and misery loves company. Try to get wessongroup on the line. He moved down there for a few months and then beat a path back to the US... and his wife is Mexican!

krafty - 5-13-2011 at 08:51 PM

Exercise good sense works whereever you live, of course. Sorry to disagree, Jenny, but we live near Rosarito year round, love it, and don't know where your negativity hails from. Look at any newspaper and there is bad stuff happening all over. So why do you feel nob is so different?
Heart attack for everyone? You need to go bye bye, just sayin'

DENNIS - 5-13-2011 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jenny.navarrette

Every single person posting here has had bad experiences in Mexico.

Probably so and I'm usually the first and loudest to tell it like it is.
I must be tired tonight, but for sure I grow weary of laying everything on the line. My stance has just about had me ostracized from my own neighborhood.

Oh well...I'll give it hell tomorrow.

DENNIS - 5-13-2011 at 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by krafty
You need to go bye bye, just sayin'

NoNoNo.......all points of view have to be discussed here, Krafty. Now, it would be doing Mudhen a disservice to be less than honest and candid.
She can make better decisions if she has the whole story. She deserves all of that.

krafty - 5-13-2011 at 10:48 PM

Dennis, you are right-sorry Jen-walk a mile in my moccasins and tell me I'm wrong and you are right. Do you see the glass as half full or half empty? And when you say Stuck down there, what do you mean? I assume you are no longer here?

tripledigitken - 5-13-2011 at 11:15 PM

Krafty:

one translation for Stuck.

You bought your retirement dream home in Rosarito Beach 3 to 5 years ago, now you miss your grand kids who don't come down because of all the bad press on violence and actual violence. You decide that maybe you made a bad decision, alright you can sell and come back NOB.

Can you get your investment back, how about 50% of it, how about 30%?

I'd call that stuck.

[Edited on 5-15-2011 by tripledigitken]

zoesterone - 5-15-2011 at 06:47 AM

Mudhen, it sounds like you HAVE done your homework. Some people are just not meant to live in Mexico. We have lived in Mazatlan for over three years and I would not live anywhere else than Mexico. The people are amazing, the food, the beauty; it's all here. I have friend NOB that think blood is running in the gutters and heads roll on every corner. Ha! I feel safer here than I have ever felt and all my friends feel the same. Yes, ther is violence, but it isn't as random as the states, IMO. Again, some people are just not meant to live in Mexico and it takes some patience at times..something we can all learn which is just slow downnnnnnn a little. I hope you find what you want. We are thinking of moving to Baja to be closer to family and will be there to check it out shortly, too.

Mudhen - 5-16-2011 at 10:53 AM

I am still researching, now talking to a real estate person, and have an appointment near K23 to see a place through a friend of a friend.

I appreciate all the responses!

I have done some google searching for a map that shows all the 'K's, but cannot find one. Does anyone have a link to a map like this? This lettering of places is still a mystery to me.

Thank you all. This is very instructive.

AmoPescar - 5-17-2011 at 12:56 AM

Mudhen...

Have you considered San Felipe on the SOC side? It's 125-150 miles below the border and is easily accessible by a good highway. It also has easy access to services back across the border.

It's another whole world down there in SF. It's much quieter and way less crowded than the Pacific side and....has much less crime and problems! You've got beautiful sea and desert views and lots of places to explore and hike. Many Americans own homes there and visit regularly and many live there most of the year. It's also a favorite with Canadiens.

IMO...it would be a much better area for living a quiet peaceful life, free from stress and problems.

I've spent a lot of time visiting the SF area and it's one of my favorite places in Baja!

Miguelamo :yes: :D :) :tumble:

Mudhen - 5-18-2011 at 11:04 AM

Thanks for that, Amo. I hadn't considered San Felipe, and will be researching that once I hit 'send'. I tried googling 'SOC' in many ways within your context, but can't find anything that makes sense. What is SOC?
South Of something?

Okay.
Thanks again.
B da Mudhen

tripledigitken - 5-18-2011 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that, Amo. I hadn't considered San Felipe, and will be researching that once I hit 'send'. I tried googling 'SOC' in many ways within your context, but can't find anything that makes sense. What is SOC?
South Of something?

Okay.
Thanks again.
B da Mudhen

Mudhen,

Sea of Cortez.

Ken

Mudhen - 5-18-2011 at 11:12 AM

LOL, Doh!!!!!!
Appreciated.

"K" Stands for Kilometer

Gypsy Jan - 5-18-2011 at 12:03 PM

Mexico is on the metric system and distances on the federal highways are clearly marked off in kilometers (if the signs haven't been knocked down by wayward drivers). A kilometer is 2.2 miles in U.S. measurements.

For example, the K23 you mentioned translates to 14.3 miles from where they start measuring the mileage. In the Tijuana area, it depends on which federal road you are on, the free or toll road and they both start counting from the U. S. border.

Picking nits

bajaguy - 5-18-2011 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Mexico is on the metric system and distances on the federal highways are clearly marked off in kilometers (if the signs haven't been knocked down by wayward drivers). A kilometer is 2.2 miles in U.S. measurements.

For example, the K23 you mentioned translates to 14.3 miles from where they start measuring the mileage. In the Tijuana area, it depends on which federal road you are on, the free or toll road and they both start counting from the U. S. border.

Jan......One kilometer is equivalent to 1,000 meters or 0.62 miles

One kilogram is equal to 2.2 lbs

If you used 2.2 miles to the kilometer, the example you quote above of K23 would be 31.46 miles.............I think :lol:

[Edited on 5-18-2011 by bajaguy]

bajaguy - 5-18-2011 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
I am still researching, now talking to a real estate person, and have an appointment near K23 to see a place through a friend of a friend.

If the house is on the ocean side, that should be in the area of Villa Lepro....

Kilometre, Kilogram, Tomato Tomatoe

Gypsy Jan - 5-18-2011 at 12:20 PM

Hey, you never get anywhere until you stick you toe out.

Anywho, this is a useful site: http://www.onlineconversion.com/length.htm

[Edited on 5-18-2011 by Gypsy Jan]

willyAirstream - 5-18-2011 at 12:23 PM

baja guy - SHHHhhhh, don't tell jan, she thinks she is getting great gas mileage. :):):biggrin:

Mudhen - 5-18-2011 at 12:27 PM

You guys are great. :yes:

-Beverly

BajaDanD - 5-18-2011 at 10:02 PM

If you want to go a little farther try San Quintin, for what your looking for, that's where I'd go.

AmoPescar - 5-18-2011 at 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willyAirstream
baja guy - SHHHhhhh, don't tell jan, she thinks she is getting great gas mileage. :):):biggrin:

He had to go and ruin it for her...didn't he!!! :lol: :biggrin:

Miguelamo :spingrin: :yes: :biggrin:

AmoPescar - 5-18-2011 at 11:29 PM

Mudhen / Beverly...

Here's a couple of San Felipe sites...

http://sanfelipe.com.mx/

http://www.sanfelipenews.com/

http://katskorner.com.mx/

http://katskorner.com.mx/san_felipe/get-local/

I love the SF area, especially the area south of town known as the
'South Campos' about another 20 miles out of town. Homes right on the beach and usually much quieter except for holiday weeks/weekends. Water is quite warm much of the year...70's up to about 90 degrees. Lots of clean air, AMAZING sunrises, GREAT sunsets, low light pollution = FANTASTIC stargazing...zillions of stars and the Milky Way.

I'm thinking very seriously about retiring down in 2-4 years. Want to ride my ATV Quad on the beach and collect seashells and have a 'Happy Hour' every afternoon.

Miguelamo ;yes: ;) :yes: :) :bounce:

Bajafun777 - 5-18-2011 at 11:43 PM

Mudhen, been up and down Baja and Mainland driven all the way down to Puerto Vallarta and back through Nogales looking for what you talk about here. I have stayed inside towns and outside towns looking for that place you call AHHHHH Life,LOL. I suggest you try 4 months to begin with at a rental like I did and your leasing at least 4 months will bring the rental price down.
Negotiate your rental price, as it really is a renters choice due to some people not being able to rent their properties for 5 or more years down there. Bad deal for them but something is better than nothing. Note, that even rentals in the States for property owners have taken some bad drops. If you really like a place after you have been in it for 4 months have a floating option of adding the additional 8 months after the 4 months. Better to have tried a place for a reasonable time before committing for a long period such as a year then finding yourselves unhappy.
My wife and I just by chance took a lease option at Las Gaviotas last year, after seeing about 12 places over a two month period with real estate people down in Rosarito area out past Selena. We really enjoy our time at Las Gaviotas and are returning in June for another 5 month rental period. The place is gated, really nice interesting people living there from all over, weekenders that come in to add to the flavor making your time go sooo fast. Great pool, hot jacuzzi, great beach all with stone walkways kept in good condition. They have a lot of different rentals from 1 bedrooms all the way to 5 bedrooms just depends what you are looking for. Put it on your list, as it is away from towns, however close enough for quick runs to markets up or down the road, along with several great places close by to eat, drink and be merry,LOL. A cab ride to town costs about $9 dollars if you want to go party without having the issue of driving. The security at the gated entrance will get the cab for you if you ask them. Check it out and if you find something there my wife and I will be glad to treat you to a few cold ones talking about BAJA and Mexico.

The warnings about two women being outside of any security is probably a very good one and I really doubt that anyone here would encourage that as being SAFE for you. Now, once you get to know the area and have stayed a while in a secure neighborhood or gated community, then you might venture outward to local neighborhoods. Get to know the people and neighborhoods before jumping into something for a year in the middle of nowhere. MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN & ENJOY ALL THE SIGHTS & PEOPLE DOWN BAJA!

Additionally, go to www.fightback247.com and purchase a cell phone stun gun with 4.5 or 5 million volts, which you can carry with you without anyone knowing what it is. It is legal in California and a number of other States, as well as being legal in Mexico. In Mexico they want you buy them from international marketers that ship them into Mexico and they tell you that you cannot take them back across into the United States (crossing into California,Arizona or Texas where they are legal presents no problem). Just a quick one second touch gets them away from you and a two second puts them on the ground for your escape. Nobody gets hurt even the crook or unfriendly attacker but they do get stopped!! Check it out and hope your search for a FUN PLACE happens for you. Take Care & Travel Safe---- No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN!" bajafun777

Bajafun777 - 5-22-2011 at 12:38 AM

Mudhen, you can also use Baja123 Real Estate Agency to help make the find a lot quicker for a place to stay that is safe. Take Care & Travel Safe "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Mudhen - 5-25-2011 at 10:42 AM

What else can I say but a hearty thank you!

I will be driving in and around Baja on Sunday and Monday looking at a few places. I am very grateful for all the time taken here for me, and hope to be able to add my own two cents when I have some concrete knowledge to offer!

Warm regards,
Beverly

DENNIS - 5-25-2011 at 10:55 AM

Good luck on your quest. Remember....it's a buyers and renters market.

KASHEYDOG - 5-25-2011 at 10:56 AM

TRY THIS....... :yes:

http://www.baja123.com/