BajaNomad

Your favorite boats?

Pompano - 12-29-2011 at 09:11 AM

A Classy Lady

1959 Lone Star Cuddy

Like me, you've probably seen a lot of hulks like this rotting away here and there along the shores of Baja.

But mine is completely restored and will lead a long, long life from here on...to take me to those deeelicious walleye dinners!

Yarcraft BT 1895 Storm (the BT stands for Back-Troller..hah, not something we do a lot of in Baja waters, right?)

The Yarcraft looks better with fish!

BajaGringo - 12-29-2011 at 09:17 AM

Whichever one happens to be under me at the time when we're catching fish as fast as we can haul them in. Like you pompano, I've fished from almost anything that will stay afloat and a few that struggled at that...

:lol:

boat and tow vehicle combo favorite!

tripledigitken - 12-29-2011 at 09:44 AM

Ken...

Pompano - 12-29-2011 at 10:08 AM

Ken..that Caddy and finned runabout were a common sight on ND & MN lakes in the late 50's. What great times.

Also reminds me of this Caddy 'boat' and Vintage Airstream camper I passed on the I-15 just a couple months ago.

Livingston Warrior 15 1/2'

Russ - 12-29-2011 at 10:23 AM

This was my favorite. 90 Yamaha it would top out at 55mph. Really handled small waves and boat wakes well. Setup for the Hood Canal & Puget Sound. It was a 1980 something. Also had it's little brother for the lakes.

durrelllrobert - 12-29-2011 at 11:49 AM

don't have a boat anymore but the girls still like my cute little dinghy :lol::lol::lol:

For morning glass on the bay

SFandH - 12-29-2011 at 06:02 PM

speedboat.gif - 48kB

Ken Bondy - 12-29-2011 at 06:54 PM

My alltime favorite. Still miss her:

boats

captkw - 12-29-2011 at 07:03 PM

HOLA,, russ,, those are AWSOME boat's,dry ,soft,fast and a do it all,vessel,,and to pompano,,that 70 hp is a GOOD motor,, bit of:cool: advice,dont forget that it has a thermastat !! actually all outboards do and are the most over looked item along with the poppet valve/pressure releave valve...

..happy new year

[Edited on 12-30-2011 by captkw]

[Edited on 12-30-2011 by captkw]

sd - 12-29-2011 at 07:06 PM

I have had 3 boats.
Hobie Power Skiff - purchased after it sat on the beach for 10 years. Engine and controls had been removed. Had a used 40HP motor installed and used it for a few years. Lots of fun but a very wet ride.

Boston Whaler 17 foot Montauk purchased used. A money maker, as it was crashed into while docked by a 85 year old gentleman launching his 28 foot cruiser. He had owned his boat 2 days and had insured it the day before hitting mine. He damaged some docks also while doing circles trying to get the boat back to the dock. While he was having problems, his wife was yelling at him from the dock. He called me later that night to thank me for being so nice - hey, it was an accident. I told him to hire a captain to teach him to operate his boat, but he told me the wife said the boat must go. I have always hoped he was able to keep it, as he was probably living a lifelong dream of having his own boat. Allstate Insurance (his policy) paid me to rent a boat for 3 weeks, totaled the boat and let me keep it. I nearly tripled my investment.

Current boat, purchased new is a Boston Whaler 15 foot Montauk.

I like them all!

comitan - 12-29-2011 at 07:14 PM

Ken

Years ago I left the Metzler on the roof of our little camper so we had room to sleep, this was in Santa Barbara left the next morning forgot the boat on the freeway someone honking told us we lost the boat on the freeway first pull off went back when we got there someone was loading it into their pickup in short we got it back tire tracks and all. Used it that winter no problems we eventually sold it sure wish I had now they don't make them like that anymore.

movie

captkw - 12-29-2011 at 07:24 PM

ahh yes "the flying metzler" that could been a block buster movie,,aft of ya !!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Islandbuilder - 12-29-2011 at 08:07 PM

Regarding T-Stats in ourboards; I had a 90hp Honda 4-stroke on a 20' RIB, I took it in to the local authorized Honda shop for it's end of the season tune up and go over, and he found water in the oil.
He told me that I rotted out the oil pan, where the cooling jacket runs through it, and that it would cost $1000's to fix it IF that was in fact the problem, and it wasn't a crack in the block or heads.
I carry passengers in the skiff, in the wilds of Alaska, and can't take any chances on an engine failure, so I decided to sell the boat as is, and replace it.
The guy who bought it took it to HIS Honda guy, who suggested replacing the T-Stat. He said that if the thermostat sticks OPEN, the motor never gets hot enough to vaporize the condensation inside the oil system. That condensation builds up until the oil is contaminated. He replaced the T-Stat, changed the oil and ran it until it was warm, then changed the oil again.
That was it, problem fixed!
Of course I felt like an idiot, but I learned something.

island biulder

captkw - 12-29-2011 at 08:26 PM

HOLA,hey,pass a cold one,,".por favor" yes,that's true,,It's called "wicking" and I see that allthe time on the fourstroke's and I'll tell ya a lil bit of truth,,The big shop's are not,, the place to get your baby worked on..find a smaller shop that stay's in biz ,,from reff's of other,experenced boaters...not weekend wannabe's and the same for wanna B's marine mech's..I have found that in this biz (IM 51) the bigger the sign,,the least time on the job and time studying the new tech,spec's and how's & why's of marine design's,dia'os' and preventive work is a bloody ____ !! K&T:coolup:

wicking inthe oil

captkw - 12-29-2011 at 08:29 PM

BTW,,what part of alaska ??

mtgoat666 - 12-29-2011 at 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Your favorite boats?

this soon may be

mtgoat

captkw - 12-29-2011 at 08:58 PM

hola, have you ck'd out the volvo race's...??? sled's are so 70's..and be advised my northern home is santa cruz ca..but'' what ever makes ya happy,,"good on ya mate"and happy new year's to all on,,:bounce: this great chunk of spinning - - --.

Ken Bondy - 12-29-2011 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Ken

Years ago I left the Metzler on the roof of our little camper so we had room to sleep, this was in Santa Barbara left the next morning forgot the boat on the freeway someone honking told us we lost the boat on the freeway first pull off went back when we got there someone was loading it into their pickup in short we got it back tire tracks and all. Used it that winter no problems we eventually sold it sure wish I had now they don't make them like that anymore.

Great story comitan!! Jeez I sure loved that Metzeler. Actually had two of them, the smaller "Maya" shown in the picture with (I think) a 7.5 hp and the big "Elefant" with a Johnson 25. They were GREAT inflatables!! Kept both of them at San Francisquito for years.

[Edited on 12-30-2011 by Ken Bondy]

Islandbuilder - 12-29-2011 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
BTW,,what part of alaska ??

All over SE, but mostly Stephens Pass and Fredrick Sound.

Yeah, I was pretty naive on not working on my Honda 90 myself, it's a great motor!

There are times I think that I've finally made my last tuition payment, and then I go and do something stupid, and, cha ching, another installment!

island biulder

captkw - 12-30-2011 at 08:52 AM

hola,love alaska,lived in anchor for a while,, after trolling a lure from cabo to the sorccorro's to thur the hawai island then up to seward (resurection bay) the school of hard knok's ,, does have it's moment's,ever been divorced !! och !! what do you like to chase ? red's,silver's,kings,barn door hali'S,,I ran a 120 fter for the oil spill ,,south of homer and had a blast fishing alaska and a lotta babe's at the great alaska bush company LOL:lol: K&T

mtgoat666 - 12-30-2011 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
hola, have you ck'd out the volvo race's...??? sled's are so 70's..and be advised my northern home is santa cruz ca..but'' what ever makes ya happy,,"good on ya mate"and happy new year's to all on,,:bounce: this great chunk of spinning - - --.

trailerable, large c-ckpit, easy to sail, performance sailboat, one class fleets, what's not to like about that?

Islandbuilder - 12-30-2011 at 10:51 AM

Anchorage is like a different world from SE. We used to do some Halibut fishing, but the new regs are confounding enough that we've decided to refer our fishy clients to the local Sportfishing outfitters. Better for us, and better for the locals.
We're pretty focused on exploring the areas natural history, using kayaks to poke into the estuaries, and the skiff to take people to the beach for walks.
It's a great gig. I had figured that it couldn't be nearly as hard as commercial fishing, but it certainly has it's challenges!

Quote:
hola,love alaska,lived in anchor for a while,, after trolling a lure from cabo to the sorccorro's to thur the hawai island then up to seward (resurection bay) the school of hard knok's ,, does have it's moment's,ever been divorced !! och !! what do you like to chase ? red's,silver's,kings,barn door hali'S,,I ran a 120 fter for the oil spill ,,south of homer and had a blast fishing alaska and a lotta babe's at the great alaska bush company LOL:lol: K&T

baitcast - 12-30-2011 at 10:57 AM

Love of my life for a short while,30' Egg Harbor,twin flat head sixes:biggrin:

Gaucho - 12-30-2011 at 04:58 PM

Here's mine. A 1977 29' Crystaliner. She's a retired lifeguard boat I picked up at auction.

MitchMan - 12-30-2011 at 05:32 PM

I thought that you couldn't fish very successfully from an inflatable in the SOC?

Ken Bondy - 12-30-2011 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
I thought that you couldn't fish very successfully from an inflatable in the SOC?

To the contrary, we had great success with the inflatables for many years at San Francisquito. They were easy to launch and beach, fast, comfortable, and we could store them in lockers between trips.

Ooops, forgot to mention that we could also carry them easily anywhere in the airplane.

[Edited on 12-31-2011 by Ken Bondy]

comitan - 12-30-2011 at 06:10 PM

In past years took a 14ft Zodiac around Cerallvo many times also 88many times out of Muertos.

Edit A good performing boat but could not keep it together, never have another( Won a lass action against Zodiac, we could get a new for 5% discount)

[Edited on 12-31-2011 by comitan]

Spearo - 12-30-2011 at 06:31 PM

I have a 15' Klamath with a 20 hp four stoke, trolling motor. The whole thing weighs about 400#. I built two 8' runners (think railroad tracks) out of 2x4s with 1/2" HDPE on top. Very slick. I can slide the boat off the trailer onto the tracks and slide it into the water pretty much anywhere. The trailer has a 1200# Warn winch to drag it back up.

I've launched this at San Bruno and circled Isla San Marcos, from Bahia Concepcion to San Sebastian. Didn't have the nerve to try for Isla San Ildefonso, that stretch can get choppy in a hurry. Spent a night at the fish camp at San Lino one year. Great guys. Learned a lot of Spanish.

When I retire I'll have a 20 ft CC...Parker, Triumph, Whaler...but for now that little tin boat can't be beat!

I'd post a pic but I am having a fit with photobucket

chopy water

captkw - 12-30-2011 at 06:40 PM

HOLA,If the boat can't handle chop,,I dont, no part of it,,myself K&T :cool:

Spearo - 12-30-2011 at 07:54 PM

The boat will handle more chop than I want to. 15' is short for open water oondas, gotta pick your day.

got the wrong boat for me

captkw - 12-30-2011 at 08:14 PM

hola, I used to run a 15.5 out to tortuga,and fly back with it blowing a solid 20-25kns, little cat's can do it,,sorry mono's will not...

Spearo - 12-30-2011 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
hola, I used to run a 15.5 out to tortuga,and fly back with it blowing a solid 20-25kns, little cat's can do it,,sorry mono's will not...

You must have put one of your cojones in each hull for ballast

AHH,,I got a nibble

captkw - 12-30-2011 at 08:53 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Ateo - 12-30-2011 at 08:57 PM

My favorite boat is the M/V Haida Chief. Ketchikan days......salmon. I'll post pictures later. Built in 1942 as a sardine seiner. I worked on it in 1997 or 1998. Beautiful boat.

Islandbuilder - 12-30-2011 at 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo
My favorite boat is the M/V Haida Chief. Ketchikan days......salmon. I'll post pictures later. Built in 1942 as a sardine seiner. I worked on it in 1997 or 1998. Beautiful boat.

Did she run an Enterprise? Or a big Cat? Seems like I know that boat, or knew it.
I love those old sardine seiners, beautiful boats!

sd - 12-30-2011 at 09:35 PM

Gaucho - your boat has a great look. I always admire the lines when I see them around Newport Beach. A classic!

baitcast - 12-31-2011 at 07:36 AM

A + 1 on Gaucho,s boat,the Egg was my largest and a 12' Porta-bote my smallest,fished Carmen and the BOLA area with it:lol:
Rob

Hook - 12-31-2011 at 08:23 AM

Ahhh, a Crystaliner. Is Lewis still around that there boat yard???

Here's my favorite boat.........right now. Working on buying one. Maybe the single best, couples cruiser for the Sea that doesnt require hanging diapers.

Albin 28

[Edited on 12-31-2011 by Hook]

boat's

captkw - 12-31-2011 at 09:14 AM

the 28 ft albin is a rather slow boat and were usally powerd with deisel (thumber's) but u can park um on a reef and you are gonna hurt the reef !!

Hook - 12-31-2011 at 11:24 AM

Slow is a relative term, captain.

Any of the ~300 hp configurations will cruise at 18-20kts and burn about 8 gph. The largest engine package, the Cummins 370 will cruise at 22-24 and burn about 9 gph. All that in a boat that's 28 x 10 with a full galley, head and hot shower and a queen and quarter berth.

A day's worth of trolling and cruising out to the grounds will usually mean an average of about 5 gph, fully loaded. Not bad for a boat that can fish 4-5 very comfortably.

18-24 kts is plenty fast enough around my neck of the woods. All the way across the Sea in under fours hours, if sea conditions allow it.

Diver - 12-31-2011 at 12:10 PM

1986 26' Aquasport with 300 Hp ...... 48 mph top speed !!
Wish I still had this boat for fishing Asuncion !!

[Edited on 12-31-2011 by Diver]

scan00010001.JPG - 35kB

diver

captkw - 12-31-2011 at 03:19 PM

hola,I assume you have stock chevron and own a pemex in the south ???:lol::lol: K&T

Gaucho - 12-31-2011 at 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sd
Gaucho - your boat has a great look. I always admire the lines when I see them around Newport Beach. A classic!

Thanks SD. She handles really well.

Gaucho - 12-31-2011 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Here's my favorite boat.........right now. Working on buying one. Maybe the single best, couples cruiser for the Sea that doesnt require hanging diapers.

Albin 28

The Albin 28 is a great boat. Lots of deck space and very low maintenance.

hook

captkw - 12-31-2011 at 03:37 PM

the two 28's that I worked on (repair) had twin yanmar's and I did see ONE down in montrey ca,she was on a hell of a trailer and talked to the owner as he had just finished the sale,and she was to be hauled up to B.C ,,anyway the guy was sorta beside himself and I could not ,think of a damn thing to console him,, had to sale his boat do to age and she was in bristol shape....K&T oops,forgot to say,she was a snigle screw !!

[Edited on 12-31-2011 by captkw]

vgabndo - 12-31-2011 at 03:46 PM

CaptKT...small boat seamanship, as it appears you understand, has a hell of a lot to do with seamanship. I knew a small boat "master" out of San Nicolas' who was comfortable in a 16' tin boat in conditions which I wouldn't challenge. But, I've also left Ildefonso too late and quartered downwind nine miles in a vicious whitecapped chop and proven to myself that my 16' Klamath could handle a lot more than I could.

Hanging on the back of a wave with a comber rolling right behind the transom for the week and a half it took to get back to San Nic. resulted in my having a name printed for her. (and me):lol:

Falling Palms 3 002.jpg - 40kB

Hook - 12-31-2011 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver

Would launching a 26 foot boat be tide-dependent at Asuncion?

What's the longest deep-v hull that could be launched at any tide at Asuncion?

comitan - 12-31-2011 at 04:01 PM

The boat will always take more than the skipper!!!!!!!!!!!! This said after many experiences like vgabndo.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

vagabundo

captkw - 12-31-2011 at 04:10 PM

hola, that's a good one,,one of my cruising favs after I back down the throttle's ..is checking out the boat names while putting (no wake) thur marinas in the calif.delta's ,,I know ,,I'll never tire of that pastime...K&T:cool:

comitan - 12-31-2011 at 04:25 PM

captkw

We must passed each other one time or another, us also be from Santa Cruz, much much time in the delta on a Newport 30 sailboat, then a Carver 31.5 power.

Roberto - 12-31-2011 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Albin 28

That is one of the best small "< 30" boats. No doubt about it. Not a speed boat, for sure, but who the hell cares. Great choice.

albin

captkw - 12-31-2011 at 09:52 PM

hola, they are a well built, boat,,,you do not want to run into one,,they,, are solid,,damn,, I have to repeat myself on this,,they very solid,,damn good solid and hold their resale value too,,,I have not cruised one ,,,so I don't know the whole story,,but,,I can tell you ,,It's a solid built vessel,,p.s. stay out of their way..you may be bigger,,but a albin is a tough son of b-tch...K&T

KaceyJ - 1-1-2012 at 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver

Nice lines on that boat , looks fast. How did it ride?

We had a team baja terminator. Made in San Diego. Miss that boat . Can't find a picture

lingililingili - 1-1-2012 at 08:05 AM

[Edited on 1/1/12 by lingililingili]

Sorry, couldn't get the picture to load.

[Edited on 1/1/12 by lingililingili]

KaceyJ - 1-1-2012 at 08:14 AM

lingililingili

I've never tried to post a pic here but try using the [img] code.

One of the pros here I'm sure can help

lingililingili - 1-1-2012 at 10:30 AM

Okay, last try. If it doesn't work, I'm sorry I couldn't share.

durrelllrobert - 1-1-2012 at 11:50 AM

when I was young (and foolish) I had a 14' SeaSkate with a 100 HP Merc on it. Used to pull single skier at over 60mph on Salton Sea. Fortunately I sank it there during the Salton 300 in 1964.

14 ft w/merc

captkw - 1-1-2012 at 11:57 AM

how did you sink it??

Russ - 1-1-2012 at 12:17 PM

HighLaker 15' had lots of free board but was like a cork on the water. and was pretty slow with only a 25 on it.

[Edited on 1-1-2012 by Russ]

durrelllrobert - 1-1-2012 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
how did you sink it??
SeaSkate had large skag like surfboard to enable tight turns. Unfortunately I was trying to turn inside of a large inboard and slid sideways over his wake. Skag cought and flipped boat over and it immediately filled with water and sank in about 15-20 feet of water. Afterwards a barge with crane tried to retreive it by hooking onto transome which just broke off. Got the Merc out but because it was runnig wide open when it sank the rods were bent and block split open. I did end up with the trailer though.

baitcast - 1-1-2012 at 02:18 PM

I hauled this cartopper during the 60,s and mid 70,s,14'Chrysler tin boat,fished the islands at Gonzaga to BOLA,oil islands and the Horseshoe kelp around Long beach.

watizname - 1-1-2012 at 05:42 PM

My favorite was a 20ft Skipjack with Stainless/Eisenglass,canvas c-ckpit. Small ford with mercruiser outdrive. Channel Islands express in any weather. Good boat, sorry no pics.:smug:

Bob H - 1-4-2012 at 11:55 AM

Here's my DREAM boat!
http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=2656

"LUNKER - KLUNKER"

Pompano - 1-13-2012 at 08:01 AM

I love all boats...but some less than others....a lot less.

Here's one that did not exactly trip my trigger. A Glastron 18' tri-hull w/60hp 2-stroke Johnson...

It was Glastron's 'LUNKER' Model...

....but after my first trip in whitecaps I added a 'K' :rolleyes:

Had it one summer and dumped it for best offer. Wet, rough ride, fit and finish was non-existent... A boat you loved to hate. :yes:

morning pompano

captkw - 1-13-2012 at 08:10 AM

Was that a tri hull ?? or should, I change a letter to fit it better as you did,,was that a try hull,,klunker:lol::lol: K&T

Tri-hulls

desertcpl - 1-13-2012 at 09:22 AM

I know about Tri Hulls

many years ago when I lived in Long Beach, I had a 18' Thunderbird Tri Hull.. it was so hard riding in the waters off of southern Calif, I think best suited for Lakes

desertcpl

captkw - 1-13-2012 at 09:39 AM

ya,tri hull's are meant for fresh water,,but that t-bird was, BUILT solid as you can find,,bump,bump !!! K&T

desertcpl - 1-13-2012 at 10:27 AM

I had the one like this, the one on the left, with cabin
had a Evinrude single I think 75hp

http://www.fiberglassics.com/wiki/images/3/32/Thunderbirdb59...

Pompano - 1-13-2012 at 10:44 AM

TRI-HULLS.

Right on, guys. These particular types of Tri-Hulls = Hard riding SOBs

Stable fishing platforms when at rest, for sure...but take one out in rough water and it will punish you.

This model, a Silverline 18' Muskie, I bought for casting to walleyes, pike, and muskie in big lakes Up North. Also rigged it for lake trout trolling. Calm days, though...got caught in high waves a few times, and paid dearly for that experience.

[Factoid: Big northern lakes have huge waves, and much higher frequency than ocean waves. The huge 730' cargo freighter, 'SS Edmund Fitzgerald', sank during hurricane force winds on Lake Superior churning 35 ft waves...and was believed to have been hit by a rogue 100 ft wave. She floundered and sank in 500+ water. All 29 crew went to Davy Jones that day in 1979.]

18ft Silverline tri-hull IO at Caribou Lake, N. Manitoba summer 1980 With future BajaNomad 'aguaholic' - RIP

....but could not resist pulling it 2600 miles back in 1980 or so...for some 'flat-days-only' Cortez fishing.

CoPilot Debbie hoists a nice cabrilla she caught near Isla Sta. Inez. They were both beauties. ;)

Check out the Lowrance paper graph in front of me. State of the art technology... back then! It did give you a hard copy record of the day's readings, though...good for studies over c-cktails back home. ;)

One nice feature was the sheer speed on those flat-water days. Almost 60mph with a 350 Marine Chev inboard.....Zoooooooooom

I could leave late and still get to the offshore dorado ahead of the fleet!
:yes:

[Edited on 1-13-2012 by Pompano]

POMPANO

captkw - 1-14-2012 at 10:08 AM

LOL..we used to key up that song (emund fitz) on the vhf when,It started getting rough on monetery bay,,great song by a great Kunuck artist,,, GORDON LIGHTFOOT,, ! A Great boating song,,,!:lol::lol: K&T

[Edited on 1-14-2012 by captkw]

Pompano - 1-14-2012 at 10:56 AM

Yeah....Lightfoot himself considered that song to be his best work.

BFS - 1-14-2012 at 12:53 PM

nice 'stache !!

vandenberg - 1-14-2012 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Here's my DREAM boat!

In that case you may as well go "all the way".:biggrin::biggrin: However, I don't believe she'll clear that sand bank going up the Mulege river.:P:P

It's "the Eclipse", largest yacht in the world, owned by the Russian oligarch who also owns Chelsea football club.

[Edited on 1-14-2012 by vandenberg]

[Edited on 1-14-2012 by vandenberg]

The Eclipse.jpg - 22kB

24baja - 1-14-2012 at 01:55 PM

Here is ours, 18' Bayrunner with 45 HP Honda. Two extra trailer wheels for launching off the beach in front of the house.