BajaNomad

New Years 2012: Clams, both fresh & petrified! 5 photos from Tunaeater added!

David K - 1-5-2012 at 11:36 AM

Baja Angel and I headed south Saturday morning, crossed the border at Mexicali about 12:30 and loaded our ice chests with all the beer they could hold (Dos Equis, Carta Blanca Light) from a distributor at Km. 5.5 who added free ice above what we had. Very nice man runs the place who moved back to Mexico when business in the US soured.

The highway to San Felipe was in super condition with just a very short detour about 50 miles south, near the sand dunes. However, that was finished yesterday... so no detours at all now.

Gasoline in San Felipe was 9.42 pesos/ liter for Magna and 10.20 for Premium. The station at El Dorado Ranch was giving an exchange rate of 13.65 pesos per dollar. Making the cost of Magna US$2.61/ gallon... a dollar a gallon less than in California.

The time was 3:30 and we headed directly to the Malecon (beach front street) for some tacos and beer. The town seemed nearly deserted from tourists (Mexican or American) and it was a sad scene. The taco stand plaza has morphed into just two restaurants from the original dozen fish taco vendors of up to 10 years before.

We were invited to stay at BajaRob and Connie's (Bahia Santa Maria) which is 24 miles south, and we arrived about 4:30 pm and enjoyed the sky changing color and the Sea of Cortez. Rob and Connie arrived about an hour later from an event put on by the South Campos Community, called a White Elephant... Rob can describe that to you guys!

The night was wonderful and we were asleep before New Years (well, unless you go by a different time zone).

The next morning (Sunday, Jan. 1), was an awesome sunny day... Good omen... I helped Rob and his neighbor Jim bring up fresh water for the clams for a final purge. Rob ordered 100 dozen clams and has the clam thing down to a science... There were up to 100 people at the New Years Day party (1-4 pm) and the clams were perfect in both quantity and flavor. It is a pot luck, so many dishes and salads and Rob's black eyed peas add to the bowl of clams and butter everyone enjoyed.

Before the party, Baja Angel and I drove to Shell Island and enjoyed some quiet time before the party. A kite-surfer went from Santa Maria to Percebu and back while we were there. It was interesting to watch him tack into the north wind.

Noticed how tires sink less than foot prints in sand... I guess they should re-think that vehicles could harm beach life, they would be better to ban people walking!:light:

Monday, we hooked up with 'Chick' and his wife who live at El Vergel to visit the fossil beds nearby. Rob tried to show us the place 2 years ago, but we missed the correct path... but had fun four wheeling anyway!

TO BE CONTINUED!...

[Edited on 1-10-2012 by David K]

David K - 1-5-2012 at 12:08 PM

Next, we hiked further up the wash to see petrified sand dollars!

BajaRob

After seeing the sand dollars, we drove over to an entire hill made of oysters and other shells...

Chick's Ford was a nice off roader... it only broke down about 3 times that day! :rolleyes: (Chick fixed it while I goofed off driving circles around it on the beach) :lol: Chick has a Toyota too... I think he drives it when he doesn't have another vehicle along for support!

Near the top of the fossil hill.

Wednesday, we head home... But, not without some exploration into new (to me) territory.

This is the water pipe that goes from Arroyo Grande to the La Fortuna gold mines, 40 miles north of San Felipe. The power lines go to the well at the end of the pipe. The access road leaves Mex. 5 at Km. 107... just south of La Ventana.

In ~6 miles you come to the water and power lines... ~6 more miles is the end in Arroyo Grande. The Baja 1000 course was in Arroyo Grande, heading south.

It is pretty slow going in anything but an off road racer in Arroyo Grande, for ~5 miles to where it turns east out of the arroyo.

The desert is beautiful...

Like all my other Baja trips, this one has me wanting to go back... just to experience it one more time!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

[Edited on 1-6-2012 by David K]

Pertified?

durrelllrobert - 1-5-2012 at 12:10 PM

I could not find any such word in any english or spanish dictionary. Some dude did write a song by that title:
www.justsomelyrics.com/1177084/Fort-Minor-Pertified-LyricsCa...
I think you meant PETRIFIED:
past participle, past tense of pet·ri·fy (Verb)Verb:
1.Make (someone) so frightened that they are unable to move or think.
2.Change (organic matter) into a stony concretion by encrusting or replacing its original substance with a calcareous, siliceous, or other...

David K - 1-5-2012 at 12:13 PM

I got a bad cold... I will fix, sorry!

TMW - 1-5-2012 at 02:29 PM

Another great trip to Baja, thanks.

Bajaboy - 1-5-2012 at 02:35 PM

cool stuff, glad you were able to make it down.

The road to Cohabuzo Junction?

Ken Cooke - 1-5-2012 at 02:38 PM

Our new friend Rafael who lives in Ejido Saldaña lives near this route. If you see him walking with his dogs, be sure to give him a Gatorade.:light:

[Edited on 1-5-2012 by Ken Cooke]

Islandbuilder - 1-5-2012 at 03:15 PM

Hey David, great report!

It's great that you guys were able to get down, even if only for a few days.

David K - 1-5-2012 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke

Our new friend Rafael who lives in Ejido Saldaña lives near this route. If you see him walking with his dogs, be sure to give him a Gatorade.:light:

Nope... we were a quite bit south and east of Cohabuzo... actually on or just south of the road from the Pole Line Road out to La Ventana, the way you guys drive out of there, I think. The photo is the Baja 1000 course in Arroyo Grande before it crosses the Sierra Pinta towards Hwy. 3/ San Felipe side.

This is Howard Gulick's 1962 map of the area. We went as far as the road junction area just north of the lable 'Grande' for Arroyo grande on the map.

edm1 - 1-5-2012 at 05:55 PM

Great report as always. Im happy that you and Elizabeth had a great New Year week.

Im ready for a another Baja beach trip, dont know when that will be but soon. I just finished installing a 20-gal air compressor/tank aboard my motorhome so now Im not afraid to air down for fear of airing up taking half a day.

David K - 1-5-2012 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Islandbuilder
Hey David, great report!

It's great that you guys were able to get down, even if only for a few days.

Thank you... it is hard to resist an opportunity to go to Baja... even if it is just for 5 days instead of 2 weeks! I hope to always bring something interesting back for you guys to read or see, no matter what! It is fun for me to share...

David K - 1-5-2012 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
Great report as always. Im happy that you and Elizabeth had a great New Year week.

Im ready for a another Baja beach trip, dont know when that will be but soon. I just finished installing a 20-gal air compressor/tank aboard my motorhome so now Im not afraid to air down for fear of airing up taking half a day.

Hi Art,

We always think of you and your 4WD motorhome on our trips...

Good move on the air tanks!
I want you to seriously consider TIRES that self clean the mud out... Getting onto Shell Island wasn't nearly as exciting as the high tides last week didn't surround the island like it did last July!

desertcpl - 1-5-2012 at 06:24 PM

again a nice report David

making me want to get down soon to SF

but I want it to warm up a bit

Great trip report and pictures

BajaRob - 1-5-2012 at 07:07 PM

Thank you. We spent the last two days in Mission Bay shopping and doing the VA thingy. It took 2 days with zero alcohol consumption to dry out after 3 parties in 3 days. We have a bit more shopping in El Centro tomorrow and then back to San Felipe. We have resolved to take it easier next Holiday Season. So soon old, so late smart. Fair winds, Rob

David K - 1-5-2012 at 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob
Thank you. We spent the last two days in Mission Bay shopping and doing the VA thingy. It took 2 days with zero alcohol consumption to dry out after 3 parties in 3 days. We have a bit more shopping in El Centro tomorrow and then back to San Felipe. We have resolved to take it easier next Holiday Season. So soon old, so late smart. Fair winds, Rob

Thanks again for your hospitality, warm days, star filled nights and finally finding and showing us the fossil beds!! We will see you sooner than later, I hope!

I also wanted to say how great your party was and I had a chance to visit with Tunaeater and El Comondante Loco... and met Baja Ponderosa, too. It was great watching the Chargers beat the Raiders, too! :bounce:

Fun Fun Fun in the bright Baja sun!

Trust me, we doubled back through this area for 5 hours in November.

Ken Cooke - 1-6-2012 at 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Nope... we were a quite bit south and east of Cohabuzo... actually on or just south of the road from the Pole Line Road out to La Ventana, the way you guys drive out of there, I think. The photo is the Baja 1000 course in Arroyo Grande before it crosses the Sierra Pinta towards Hwy. 3/ San Felipe side.

This is Howard Gulick's 1962 map of the area. We went as far as the road junction area just north of the lable 'Grande' for Arroyo grande on the map.

I remember this area vividly, and the mountain just to the right in this photo is the landmark for Cohabuzo Junction. It was near our campsite on the 1st night of our Pole Line Run in November.

This map is fairly inaccurate, as well.

Ken Cooke - 1-6-2012 at 06:25 AM

Quote:

For starters, Hwy 5 does not hook the way it does on this map. Plus, where you were driving when you took the photo behind the wheel, is sandy, but is past the actual arroyo - leading to some massive silt beds.

I would post my photos, but they would throw your screen orientation out of sorts. And, I know you wouldn't like reading your thread with larger photo images to condend with.

Skipjack Joe - 1-6-2012 at 07:13 AM

Quote:

I helped Rob and his neighbor Jim bring up fresh water for the clams for a final purge.

I was surprised to read this because fresh water will kill a clam.

I would think that a saltwater clam placed in fresh water would close it's shell and stop filtering altogether in an attempt to stay alive. Doesn't that happen?

I found this thread posted 4 years ago where Corky, our seafood restaurant owner from Oregon, urges to never purge clams in fresh water:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=23091

David K - 1-6-2012 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:

I helped Rob and his neighbor Jim bring up fresh water for the clams for a final purge.

I was surprised to read this because fresh water will kill a clam.

I would think that a saltwater clam placed in fresh water would close it's shell and stop filtering altogether in an attempt to stay alive. Doesn't that happen?

I found this thread posted 4 years ago where Corky, our seafood restaurant owner from Oregon, urges to never purge clams in fresh water:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=23091

Sorry that I wasn't clear on this... Fresh SEA water! Obviously, you keep sea clams alive in sea water... Helping bring up fresh water from the ocean (gulf) to Rob's patio.

Skipjack Joe - 1-6-2012 at 01:36 PM

Oh, OK.

I was thinking that maybe the freshwater was used to purge the sea water and make them taste less salty.

gonetobaja - 1-6-2012 at 01:41 PM

Sweet report !!!

David K - 1-6-2012 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:

For starters, Hwy 5 does not hook the way it does on this map. Plus, where you were driving when you took the photo behind the wheel, is sandy, but is past the actual arroyo - leading to some massive silt beds.

I would post my photos, but they would throw your screen orientation out of sorts. And, I know you wouldn't like reading your thread with larger photo images to condend with.

Hi Ken,

Actually, Howard's maps are more accurate than most if not all others on the roads of the time (1962). He was an engineer and at every bend in the road he would take out is compass, walk away from his Jeep and take down the new heading. The map portion is a zoomed in area. If I back out and show the larger area you will see Hwy. 5 is placed true. I will put some notes on a copy to show you where we were in that photo.

Cohabuzo Junction is way off the top left of the map portion I posted and any mountain you see in my photo is not near there. The photo is looking south IN Arroyo Grande towards Borrego Mountain/ Sierra Pinta. Now the Mexican topo map (Baja Almanac) calls the original Borrego Mountain 'Arrajal' and names a shorter peak next to it 'Borrego'.

David K - 1-6-2012 at 04:35 PM

OK Ken, here is the Gulick map, showing more of the area and including San Felipe to Cohabuzo Jcn. I penciled in the Baja 1000 (2011) course and newer roads from Hwy. 5 (to Ej. Saldaña and the gold mine water well).

We drove in from La Ventana to the well, then south 5 miles on the Baja 1000 road, passing Race Mile 170 sign and where it meets the Pole Line Road we drove a short distance east from Arroyo Grande and a bit north on the old road shown on the Gulick map and the Almanac... but it soon vanished. We returned to Arroyo Grande, headed back to the well and drove back out to La Ventana the same way we came in.

tunaeater - 1-6-2012 at 09:08 PM

David we had a blast at Rob's (thank you Rob) and it was a treat to watch the Chargers beat up on the Raiders. The clams and all the side dishes were great!
Glad we got to spend some time with you and Elizabeth. Sorry we didn't make it on Monday. We got lazy, made breakfast and took an easy drive down to Huerfanito for a few hours. A pit stop at Cowpatty's to quench the thirst on the way North then back to my dads. Looking forward to March SF 250

El Comadante Loco - 1-6-2012 at 11:22 PM

David: Good to see you and Baja Angel again.. Great report.
Sunday's party was huge success and what a way to start the new year with excelent clams, thanks to Rob and all the help he had. There was plenty of food to be had and enjoyed, clams, pozole, tamales, several bean dishes, pastas, stuffed chiles gueritos, and much more not to mention the spread of deserts.
BTW the company and drinks were also fantastic.

Ken Cooke - 1-7-2012 at 12:19 AM

Quote:
OK Ken, here is the Gulick map, showing more of the area and including San Felipe to Cohabuzo Jcn. I penciled in the Baja 1000 (2011) course and newer roads from Hwy. 5 (to Ej. Saldaña and the gold mine water well).

We drove in from La Ventana to the well, then south 5 miles on the Baja 1000 road, passing Race Mile 170 sign and where it meets the Pole Line Road we drove a short distance east from Arroyo Grande and a bit north on the old road shown on the Gulick map and the Almanac... but it soon vanished. We returned to Arroyo Grande, headed back to the well and drove back out to La Ventana the same way we came in.

I have a Neal Johns' hand-penciled copy of the Baja Almanac that I refer to. The hill I was referring to is called Cerro Caprote and serves as a landmark of sorts for the area north of Cohabuzo Junction. The Baja 1000 road travels east of Caprote winding south into the lower reaches of the Laguna Salada.

Packoderm - 1-7-2012 at 12:39 AM

Is it a against the law for gringos to take petrified clams just like it's illegal to take fresh ones?

David K - 1-7-2012 at 12:52 AM

As far as I know, gringos cannot remove fossils... Take only photos, leave only foot and tire tracks! However, just like live clams... if you get them from a local you can take fossils home. Many of you have seen Kim Williams Map and Fossil store in El Rosario, yes?

David K - 1-7-2012 at 12:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I have a Neal Johns' hand-penciled copy of the Baja Almanac that I refer to. The hill I was referring to is called Cerro Caprote and serves as a landmark of sorts for the area north of Cohabuzo Junction. The Baja 1000 road travels east of Caprote winding south into the lower reaches of the Laguna Salada.

Ken... when you are done with the Pole Line run, don't you come out to Hwy. 5 at La Ventana... the same road we took along the water pipe/ power lines from the Arroyo Grande well?

ArvadaGeorge - 1-7-2012 at 11:40 AM

David
Thanks for the report. I have fond memories of Rob's New Years day party.
Can you send me or post the WPT for the fossil beds. My grandkids would love them.

Unchartered Territories

El Vergel - 1-7-2012 at 07:24 PM

Thank you David for this report!

Killer stuff, especially the region beyond the mine with a loop through La Ventana, via the well. Once you get to the mine, is this a route over the baja1k trail to encompass an expedition? I sense adventure in 'dem 'dar hills!

I need to get to the clams (petrifried [sp])...was lookin' for those once...thanks to chick for findin' them. Very interesting almejas there!

How long (in hours) to make a loop from La Ventana, through the woods and over the dale to the mine, then to El Chinero? I'm thinkin' Base Camp for Discovery, 2012 back there somewhere.

BajaRob 's clams looked ....! I've heard of their clams! Awesome!

Shell Beach had it all goin' on!

Thanks for the share! Happy 2012 to all!

[Edited on 1-8-2012 by El Vergel]

David K - 1-7-2012 at 10:22 PM

Not sure what mine from La Ventana, but the road to the well is a fast one. From the well south in Arroyo Grande is very slow, being the Baja 1000 course and is all whooped for about 5 miles to where it leaves Arroyo Grande for Borrego.

A cable across the arroyo just past the climb out prevented us from going further up Arroyo Grande as we had wished to.

BAJACAT - 1-7-2012 at 10:59 PM

David, Presidents nomad ride, get ready.We need you to do one of this with us.Remember your past Matomi trips with the gang lead to the new trips..I will buy you and Baja Angel dinner after the ride on Sunday, what do you say..

Ken Cooke - 1-8-2012 at 10:29 AM

Quote:

A cable across the arroyo just past the climb out prevented us from going further up Arroyo Grande as we had wished to.

How large of a cable is this? Was it place to prevent access to the well? Is it new?

BajaBlanca - 1-8-2012 at 11:46 AM

fantastic reading and photos !!! so many petrified clams and starfish !! thanks for sharing and lets get this man some jobs so he can travel more and post more !!

David K - 1-8-2012 at 10:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:

How large of a cable is this? Was it place to prevent access to the well? Is it new?

No Ken, this was ~5 miles SOUTH of the well, just south of where the race course/ Pole Line road climbs out the east side of Arroyo Grande (and where the Pole Line Road drops in on the west side). The cable looks to block anyone from driving south in Arroyo Grande.

I asked before, how do you go from the Pole Line Road to La Ventana, if not in Arroyo Grande and the the well road?

David K - 1-8-2012 at 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
fantastic reading and photos !!! so many petrified clams and starfish !! thanks for sharing and lets get this man some jobs so he can travel more and post more !!

Yes... Baja is just so full of adventures!

Ken Cooke - 1-8-2012 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
No Ken, this was ~5 miles SOUTH of the well, just south of where the race course/ Pole Line road climbs out the east side of Arroyo Grande (and where the Pole Line Road drops in on the west side). The cable looks to block anyone from driving south in Arroyo Grande.

David - Lower Cañon Jaquegel flows east toward Hwy 5 - not Arroyo Grande from the Pole Line Road. Arroyo Grande lies southeast of the Pole Line Road. At the terminis of the Pole Line Road, communication lines turn south towards San Felipe and the rocky Arroyo Grande. According to Neal Johns, you cannot continue through this route to Hwy 3 due to large boulders blocking the route.

Where the well appears on this route, you are inside of the Ejido, away from Hwy 5. Following the two-track, you are actually EAST of the Ejido traveling NORTH to Hwy 5. I don't have a track drawn up, but in 2 days, I could take you on the complete loop from Ejido Saldaña to Ejido Saldaña.

David K - 1-8-2012 at 11:08 PM

I was sure I read how you drive to Hwy. 5 at La Ventana after a Pole line run...? S0, you leave the Pole Line and drove way north past Ejido Saldaña and came to Hwy. 5 at the sand dunes?

Yes, the original phone line road crosses Arroyo Grande to head to San Felipe... Score uses it (part of it) to cross the Sierra Pinta. You can see it easy on Google Earth and Neal Johns/ TW waypoints for the Pole Line confirm.

Neal and TW have driven up Arroyo Grande in the past. The Almanac even shows it as a road.

Photos from Tunaeater at the party

David K - 1-10-2012 at 11:17 AM

Paul 'Tunaeater'

Mrs. Tunaeater and the kids

Tunaeater and his dad El Comandante Loco (Rudy).

TMW - 1-11-2012 at 12:24 PM

David, Ken and I have come out to hwy 5 two ways after his Pole Line Rd runs. One is to go north to Saldana as shown on the map and out ot KM87. The other is to go south/east to Arroyo Grande back to the wells and northeast and out to KM 91. The turn off on hwy 5 south of La Ventana that leads to the water pipe road is at KM 107+/-. The Google map below has the Baja 500 course with the access roads to Hwy 5.

David K - 1-11-2012 at 12:32 PM

The K107 to water well then south in Arroyo Grande to the Pole Line Road, where the Score Road leaves Arroyo Grande is what we drove.

I guess Ken left the Pole Line Road for Ejido Saldaña before it dropped down to Arroyo Grande? Anyway, our quest was to go into Arroyo Grande Canyon south of the Pole Line Road crossing, but a big steel cable was stretched across the arroyo just south of where the Pole Line/ Score road leaves the wash to head for Borrego Wash.

Thanks.

TMW - 1-11-2012 at 12:47 PM

Here is the two routes from the PLR. One to Saldana and the other to Arroyo Grande.

David K - 1-11-2012 at 12:53 PM

Right... the bottom right of your map (PLR Access) we drove past and then out of the wash on the red line. We were looking for the old road back to La Ventana access as shown on the Gulick map. We found it, but it disappeared soon. We were wanting to avoid the slow whooped up race course in Arroyo Grande back to the well.

Have you driven south of there into the Arroyo Grande Canyon?

TMW - 1-11-2012 at 12:56 PM

This shows the dam, rocks and Rancho Grande locations. I have been to the rocks. Google Earth does not show another way down Arroyo Grande that I could see to get around the cable.

David K - 1-11-2012 at 01:00 PM

It's sure fun exploring back in there. Pretty wild to think our boys built the Pole Line Road in 1942 through that land. Thanks Tom!

David K - 2-28-2013 at 08:55 AM

Bump for Ateo

Ateo - 2-28-2013 at 09:12 AM

Thanks DK. That picture looks pretty darn sandy. I guess if I air down with some speed and draw a good line I may make it. Hmmmmm.

David K - 2-28-2013 at 09:16 AM

Or stay close to the graded road where it ends by the giant diesel well (the end or start of the water pipeline from the gold mine)?

David K - 12-4-2018 at 02:32 AM

Bump for wolfpack!

PaulW - 12-4-2018 at 09:30 AM

PLR
After my first PLR trip Jan 28/2014, Henry, a San Felipe GPS expert, drove the road using an archived GPS track. His verbal description is drive from La Ventana to the wells, proceeded west to the Jaquegel drainage and drive up the drainage until he intercepted the route we all use. That track is documented and both Rich and I have it. I cannot access it for now. Anyway that track is not recommended due to difficulty compared to the other more commonly used tracks. That track is on my to do list.

David K - 12-4-2018 at 10:00 AM

Arroyo Grande and Jaquegel are parallel washes after they leave the hills and both head north towards Laguna Salada.
The Pole Line road climbs out of Jaquegel (where we camped on the 2015 trip and fixed the road there) goes north to the runway and construction camp where the Saldaña road turned left and the road to Arroyo Grande turned right. The new wells are in Arroyo Grande but the arroyo is much wider than the Howard Gulick map shows... that is why my adding the map and Baja 1000 route on the Gulick maps appears west of Arroyo Grande itself.

David K - 10-15-2019 at 09:45 AM

So much to do in Baja... This was just a 3-day trip but it inspired so much more discussion.

HeyMulegeScott - 10-22-2019 at 08:26 AM

Looked like a fun trip. I wish they still had those gas prices.