BajaNomad

ATV's banned from the beach at East Cape

Cardon Man - 10-20-2004 at 09:20 AM

Well, it has come to pass. They are indeed enforcing the law now. Federales confiscated 6 Amigo's rental bikes a couple of days back and have promised to return for more!
Take note East Cape ATVers...drive on the beach and you might lose your bike!

Looks like the Federales

jrbaja - 10-20-2004 at 09:23 AM

will be having a new means of transportation to keep the drugs out of the u.s..:lol:

Dave - 10-20-2004 at 09:47 AM

Excellent!

Packoderm - 10-20-2004 at 11:08 AM

"Then maybe we can go for a walk without the marooons and drunks racing by a few inches away."

Isn't the main problem with ATVs is that they're noisy and irritate non riders who want to relax in peace, or are there actually numerous accounts of pedestrians being hit by these things?

Drunks and atv's

jrbaja - 10-20-2004 at 11:44 AM

Living on a beach here in north Baja that has atv access has given me some insight to this.
The majority of foreigners that bring them here drink a lot. Then they go riding. They have very little experience riding them and they crash.
Our beach has had one go off the bluff onto some people. Another went off the bluff with two kids on it and again landed on some people.
There are dogs down the beach that attack them. 3 people have wrecked and come back bloody and dog bit because they didn't have the experience to run the %#^&#@'s over.
In Cantamar dunes where it is not offensive, I have had to patch up and transport 3 people to the hospital.
When we used to go to Bahia de los Angeles and Bahia Gonzaga, the foreigners raced up and down the beach. Mostly kids while the parents were getting drunk but nevertheless, the kids are having way too much fun to respect anyone else on the beach. And the parents don't care.
There are enough fun places to ride down here so that being an annoyance on the beaches isn't necessary. Los Barriles has an incredible arroyo ride that makes the beach boring at best.
And, there are plenty of beaches that don't have the tourism, if you feel you must ride on a beach.
It's also a good way to shorten the life of an atv because of the salt!

JESSE - 10-20-2004 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
will be having a new means of transportation to keep the drugs out of the u.s..:lol:

Nope, looks like their kids will be getting a very nice gift for Xmas.:lol:

Sounds more like my drunken neighbors,

jrbaja - 10-20-2004 at 03:42 PM

Pochos y Chicanos who just recently started visiting Baja.
This is because of all the horror stories they have heard while being brought up in l.a.:lol:

bajalou - 10-20-2004 at 04:59 PM

Try San Felipe during Samana Santa and you will see a world of people from Ensenada, Tijuana, Mexicali and Southern Calif. Most of my neighbors try their best not to go to town during that week.

:biggrin:

Thanks Grover

jrbaja - 10-20-2004 at 06:15 PM

Having grown up in Pico Rivera for a number of years, I can truly appreciate that site.
This is borrowed from www.pocho.com

A pocho is a term used by Mexican nationals to call their Mexican-American or Chicano relatives to the North. It basically means, "A Gringoized Mexican." In Mexican Spanish, pocho has many literal meanings, such as "cut off" (from the root) or "faded." In Spain it also means, "rotten" as in rotten fruit. Well! Excuuuuse us!

Over the course of 10 years, nosotros the editors of Pocho Magazine and this disaster zone known as pocho.com have forcefully turned pocho into a term of pride, a rallying cry for the tacky, uncultured Mexican-American and Chicano, whose lack of proper Spanish skills, and somewhat weakened ability to eat some hot spicy food items makes him a pariah, an outcast both in the US and in Mexico. Supposedly not authentic enough to be a Mexican in Mexico OR the US, the pocho and pocha (his sister) are actually superior beings, able to straddle two worlds while enjoying the benefits of being bi-lingual, bi-cultural and sometimes bi-ignorant.

The pocho uses satire and humor as a way to cope with his predicament, and deftly combines the crass yet sly Mexican sense of humor with the ironic and dry wit of the gabacho into a big comedy enchurrito-a creature so hideous and beastly it defies easy classification while instilling fear and confusion in the hearts and minds of those who dare to cross its path. Don't quote us on that.

[Edited on 10/21/2004 by jrbaja]

Gypsy Jan - 10-20-2004 at 07:37 PM

Umm, ummm, umm,

Pocho, gabacho...chicano?

Grew up in So Cal, made friends with middle class (first generation) Mexican family.

They took great pride in only eating steak and salad when in restaurants, I was lectured how rice and beans was low class.

atv beach riding

cabokid - 10-20-2004 at 07:49 PM

Get a life.Been riding motorcycle atv 4x4 on beaches for over 30 yrs on most beaches all over baja. I have not run over any turtles , babies, seals, sun bathers or old farts walking . All it takes is a little common sense,much like driving a car.I"m sure most readers have all done the same. Quit trying to americanizie baja with all your rules from US or stay home in your safe little rule chocked domain.

I can't say the same Gypsy

jrbaja - 10-20-2004 at 08:00 PM

the families I grew up with taught me about tortillas, rice, beans, tamales and enchiladas.
Quite a change for a 7 year old who was used to clam bakes:lol:
I guess I must have liked them.

Cabo dude, Since you are so experienced, I recommend a nice ride on the east cape beaches.:light:

"Can't we all just get along?"

David K - 10-20-2004 at 08:25 PM

There is room for all to enjoy their place in Baja (I hope).

ATV riding on the beach (if it was a legal thing to do) should not be where non ATVers are trying to enjoy the sand and sea. ie, no racing through groups of people... common sense.

That means it is dumb (and illegal) to ride on the beaches between Tijuana and Estero Beach, San Felipe (in front of town), Los Barriles, and Los Cabos.

The hundreds of miles of beach where there are NO TOWNS, RESORTS, or PEOPLE laying in mass should be enough for the ATVer. Exceptions to this might be for wildlife preservation, ie. turtle nesting areas (which I believe is near Cabo/Todos Santos).

Now, besides remote beaches (tidal zones up to desert), there are dunes, desert roads, dry washes by the thousands to ride on. Respect others who have a right to a good Baja time, but may not enjoy the noise or danger ATVers bring.

There is a lot more of open Baja to ride on than there is in front of beachside towns...

Cardon Man - 10-21-2004 at 07:38 AM

While I must reluctantly agree that East Cape beaches have become a race track and a change is in order...I also sympathize with Cabo Kid's point of view on the subject. There are ( were ) indeed way too many inconsiderate riders on the beach. Too fast , at the wrong places, at the wrong times. Laying on the sand listening to lapping waves has become a potential suicide mission in some spots. And loud, racing bikes have blown more than one shot at great fish from the beach for anyone who has spent much time here. In my experience it is almost always, with the exception of semana santa, gringo tourists blowing it for everybody. Additionaly, it seems that the main drive for the beach ban has indeed come from gringo's with houses on the beach. The subject of bikes on the beach seems to be a non-issue to most of the local Mexicanos I talk to.
It is too bad that instead of targeting those who abuse the freedom to ride, everyone must now lose the option to ride on the beach. Laws, and rules, and limitations seems to be the American way now days. It's really unfortunate. I'm pretty sure the old guy I see putting along the beach on his ATV with his dog sitting behind him isn't hurting anyone. Now he's a criminal.

atv's

lewm - 10-21-2004 at 07:56 AM

There is a pretty good sized atv rental in Los Barriles. Will this put them out of business? I know several people that use them to pull their boats down to the water. Will this be allowed? They also run them down the beach to town to do their shopping. It only takes a few people to screw things up. Just like the jet skis on the Colorado river.

Dave - 10-21-2004 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
The subject of bikes on the beach seems to be a non-issue to most of the local Mexicanos I talk to.
It is too bad that instead of targeting those who abuse the freedom to ride, everyone must now lose the option to ride on the beach.

Of course it is a non-issue to most Mexicans. They understand that the chances of getting caught are almost zero. It is their approach not to respect the law, mainly because those who are pledged to enforce it do not respect them.

Additionally, there was never the freedom or an option for anyone to ride on the beach. It was/is against the law.

beach riding

cabokid - 10-21-2004 at 08:49 PM

Like I said a little common sense. If I want a little peace an quiet I don't camp at peets on a holiday and get peeed off because of all the noise and beach riding. No you dont ride on the melcon in Cabo or any resort beaches. East cape ,well I can agree if there are atv rentals that rent to a bunch of ricky racers it would be annoying and you have a legit gripe. All I'm saying that there are hundreds of miles of beaches to ride ,drive ,camp and enjoy without having all the rules we americans seem to bring with us (no bottles,fireworks,dogs,fires,beer,booze,loud music, games bla bla bla ) . and A hose I'll be down in La paz after the race and Cabo after that .You can meet me down there if you can find your way that far .

A little common sense you say?

jrbaja - 10-21-2004 at 08:55 PM

This is exactly what these people seem to be missing. And "they" are the majority.
I would be extremely surprised if you haven't experienced them yourself if you spend any time besides vacations in Baja.

Dave - 10-21-2004 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cabokid
All I'm saying that there are hundreds of miles of beaches to ride ,drive ,camp and enjoy without having all the rules we americans seem to bring with us

Your saying it doesn't make it legal. According to Mexican law NOT American rules, there is not ONE mile of beach available to ride or drive, period.

JESSE - 10-21-2004 at 09:26 PM

I dont care if your an american or a mexican, riding bikes on the beach is wrong, specially in southern Baja where theres plenty of animals that live on the beach, either on it or under it, there is such thing as doing a citizens arrest in Mexico, so watch out.

quads

mulege marv - 10-22-2004 at 06:58 AM

i have a home in baja along with a quad. it has been my observation that americans are so concerned with what they think is their "personal right" that they do not care how it effects others around them. as long as its fun for them, F*** everyone else. i bought in mexico to get away from this kind of attitude. a drunk 18 yr old on an atv out to show how cool he is, respect anyone or anything, in your dreams. there are thousands of miles to ride where you wont bother others, (baja 500 ring a bell ?) of course there would be no one to see how cool you are, use some common sense !

East Cape ATV's

Dano @ Looney Loop - 10-25-2004 at 05:39 PM

How will this ATV enforcement effect fishing boat owners who use their trucks to launch their boats off the beach???

Quote:
Well, it has come to pass. They are indeed enforcing the law now. Federales confiscated 6 Amigo's rental bikes a couple of days back and have promised to return for more!
Take note East Cape ATVers...drive on the beach and you might lose your bike!

It won't.

jrbaja - 10-25-2004 at 07:51 PM

As long as the rich gringo/canadian homeowners approve.
When they don't, a bunch of old hens will start squaking and get some sort of gringo petition going. Then, they start in on their spineless husbands and property managers until they have turned it into Newport friggen beach.
At least if the other enclaves in Baja are any indication.:lol:

Dave - 10-25-2004 at 09:50 PM

Quote:
As long as the rich gringo/canadian homeowners approve.

Rich gringos didn't make the law, the Mexican Congress did. Whether it is enforced is solely Mexico's decision.

Boat launching etc.

Cardon Man - 10-26-2004 at 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dano @ Looney Loop

"How will this ATV enforcement effect fishing boat owners who use their trucks to launch their boats off the beach???"

Well, it should mean that all beach traffic including trucks launching boats is prohibido, period. That being said, I have to agree with jrbaja that as long as the gringo home owners approve, such beach launching will continue with out a problem. It is interesting to note that some of the same people who have pushed for the enforcement on ATV's also launch with trucks in front of their homes..."Do as I say, not as I do". I guess it's ok tear up beach habitat as long as it's in front of one's own lavish beach front home. In the unlikely event that someone has their nice new diesel truck confiscated you can bet these same folks will go balistic! It seems some people want old style Baja when it suits them...and "Newport Beach" when it doesn't.

:spingrin:

Even the Mexican congress

jrbaja - 10-26-2004 at 08:04 AM

doesn't want to have to deal with a bunch of cackling old biddies!:lol:
We only have three of them here and they only come down about once or twice a month. But they did manage to whine enough to get a gate put up to keep the local Mexicans out of their own beach.
That's because our property owner/manager plain old got sick and tired of listening to them whine.
The good part is, their part of the property is being turned into condos. Ha!

Dave - 10-26-2004 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
I have to agree with jrbaja that as long as the gringo home owners approve, such beach launching will continue with out a problem.

Approve?

That gringos have ANY influence over the Mexican military, which is solely responsible for enforcing the beach laws, is ludicrous.

Dave,

jrbaja - 10-26-2004 at 09:53 AM

you need to get out more !

Cardon Man - 10-26-2004 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Approve?

That gringos have ANY influence over the Mexican military, which is solely responsible for enforcing the beach laws, is ludicrous.

Well, you've got a point there Dave. Yet it does seem that the local gringos have indeed influenced the enforcement of beach laws at the East Cape to some extent. Not that there hasn't been influence from prominent Mexicanos who own beachfront hotels as well.
That being said, i would be very surprised indeed if there was any crack down on the beach launching by the aforementioned gringos. It should be noted that there are many Mexicanos who launch in a similar fashion. Take for example all the pangas on the beach at La Ribera. Those hard working commercial fisherman have no other way to launch and should be allowed to do so in my opinion.

BajaGrrls - 10-26-2004 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
...doesn't want to have to deal with a bunch of cackling old biddies!:lol:

For the record, this group of old men has managed to sound an awful lot like "a bunch of cackling old biddies!" :tumble:

When in Romania !!

jrbaja - 10-26-2004 at 10:28 AM

And thanks Lera.:lol:

And I thought I was good at

jrbaja - 10-26-2004 at 10:35 AM

stirring up do do !:lol::lol:

GOT HIS FROM A FRIEND IN BUENA VISTA

Tommy A - 10-26-2004 at 11:23 AM

I checked into this situation and this is
what I found out.....There is one gringo who lives on a narrow strip of
beach that the ATVs pass by when they are headed south. This piece of beach
seems to be where visitors on ATVs do "cookies" and open the throttle on
their rented ATVs. The gringo takes pictures and calls the local cops when
this happens. The cops do not care but oblige the gringo. In reality, the
only people who care about this problem is this sole gringo. He has
alienated all his neighbors who ride ATVs. The gringo found one agency that
showed some interest in his problem...it would be the equivalent of the EPA
...but just for turtles. This agency visited AMIGO's, twice
during the summer to inform the owner that his ATVS were causing problems on
this section of beach. The owner of AMIGO's blew the EPA agent off and just
did business as usual. Then later the EPA guy came back to town and with the
assistance of the Buena Vista police confiscate two ATV's and fined the 12
year old riders $450 USD. The fine was for riding in reckless fashion on the
beach. AMIGO's ended up paying $300 of the fine since the youths were told
by AMIGO's Cabo operation that they could rent ATVs in Los Barriles and do
anything and ride any way they wanted to in Los Barriles. Four weeks later
and more complaints by the gringo the EPA guy came back and confiscated 6
AMIGO ATVs which now reside at the Buena Vista police station. One of the
problems is the EPA guy has no authority to confiscate ATVs on the beach and
the Buena Vista police have no authority on the beach since their
responsibility is transit, as in paved roads. As this is sorting itself out
the ATVs remain at the Buena Vista police station. ATVs go back and forth in
front of this gringo's house and he is quiet if they go slow. Any crazy
riding and he takes photos, calls the buena vista police and e-mails the
photos to the EPA guy in La Paz.
That's the story. Life goes on....just respect other people on the beach and
you will be OK.

BajaGrrls - 10-26-2004 at 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A

"Never trust anything that can bleed for a week, month after month and not die":saint::P

I'd say something about trusting a man with two heads who still can't form a rational thought, but that might be below the belt. :P :lol:

jrbaja - 10-26-2004 at 01:35 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Markitos - 10-26-2004 at 09:54 PM

Sooo, I Guess every one wants more laws and less freedom. I never riden an ATV. But Ive told some folks to get the &$@&^#! away when they where to close. Seamed to work at the time.

Nope, that's not the case

jrbaja - 10-27-2004 at 08:32 AM

Howz about less laws and more common sense!
Righty-oh, that would be a cold day in hell!!
How about legalizing guns in Baja? That would certainly solve the common sense problem!:lol:
And, it might work the same way as in the animal kingdom. The not so smart ones are eliminated creating a stronger, smarter herd!:light:

Dave - 10-27-2004 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Howz about less laws and more common sense!
Righty-oh, that would be a cold day in hell!!
How about legalizing guns in Baja? That would certainly solve the common sense problem!:lol:

Problem is, humans are not equally endowed with common sense. If they were, there would be no need for laws.

By the way, guns ARE legal below a certain caliber. Even for gringos if they can prove the need.

I know Dave,

jrbaja - 10-27-2004 at 11:26 AM

just ask Mr. Jack about my "arsenal" :lol: