BajaNomad

is my writing in caps bothersome or who cares?

captkw - 10-1-2012 at 10:06 AM

just so I dont pee folks off !! does it really matter to nomads which size of letter I type in ??? K&T

DavidE - 10-1-2012 at 10:18 AM

It's an unconscious reaction seņor KW. It's really not like most folks read all caps and decide that it is largely "inappropriate". Rather the text just stands up and SHOUTS on its own*. Same for italics. It stands out as a (less) pronounced way of emphasizing words or passages.

Like magenta or OSHA yellow in comparison to blue or green

JoeJustJoe - 10-1-2012 at 10:29 AM

Writing in all CAPITALS is considered SHOUTING on forums, and many forums forbid or discourage members from writing in CAPS:

Forum/]Email Etiquette Tip - DON'T SHOUT! If you USE ALL CAPS in your email or message board posts, you will immediately make yourself seem inexperienced or ignorant. Most experienced computer users consider the use of all capital letters to be the Internet equivalent of shouting.

For those of us who spend a lot of time hanging out in cyberspace, messages written in all capital letters are reminiscent of trying to hold a conversation in which one person is shouting every word while others are speaking at a normal volume.

Osprey - 10-1-2012 at 10:52 AM

Keith, you're not gonna like this but you opened the door. Caps or fractured language, people do read your posts. I don't mind the caps so much as your indignation when I called you on being a Captain for charter in the SOC without a permit. You said "you took people out for money or gas (gas is money)" for years. That's getting paid to go fishing free without a permit. I bet the Mexican charter guys didn't like it then or now.

Then somebody posts a little piece about boats/electrical -- then we learn all about how you built and worked on boats/electrical from Cape Horn to Martha's Vinyard.

Then (it wrankles me) you lay out the cheapest price one can pay for anything in Baja. So I have learned you're insensitive, a braggart, a scofflaw and a cheapskate just by reading your bad language. As of this minute I can say your ALL CAPS DOESN'T BOTHER ME A BIT.

That said I will give you this: since you found us and Lil Tasha can't talk, we have softened your ways and you are beginning to wonder how we see you. That's real progress Capitan.

woody with a view - 10-1-2012 at 10:57 AM

yeah it is hard to read. just be lazy like me and don't cap anything. it's my way of throwing a middle finger salute, but nobody knows it!;)

Pescador - 10-1-2012 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Keith, you're not gonna like this but you opened the door. Caps or fractured language, people do read your posts. I don't mind the caps so much as your indignation when I called you on being a Captain for charter in the SOC without a permit. You said "you took people out for money or gas (gas is money)" for years. That's getting paid to go fishing free without a permit. I bet the Mexican charter guys didn't like it then or now.

Then somebody posts a little piece about boats/electrical -- then we learn all about how you built and worked on boats/electrical from Cape Horn to Martha's Vinyard.

Then (it wrankles me) you lay out the cheapest price one can pay for anything in Baja. So I have learned you're insensitive, a braggart, a scofflaw and a cheapskate just by reading your bad language. As of this minute I can say your ALL CAPS DOESN'T BOTHER ME A BIT.

That said I will give you this: since you found us and Lil Tasha can't talk, we have softened your ways and you are beginning to wonder how we see you. That's real progress Capitan.

I would guess that there is an elementary teacher, or host of teachers who are rolling in their graves as we speak.:lol::lol: and the caps are the least of it.

Nemo55 - 10-1-2012 at 11:29 AM

Ya know,,it's a funny thing...when i read someones post in Caps,,and then one in Small case,, i dont hear anything at all,,,,,maybe i gone deef or sumptin???
Lifes too damn short to get the underwear in a knot over such trivial stuff....Enjoy Fellow Travelers,,Enjoy!!!!

QUETZALCOATL - 10-1-2012 at 11:33 AM

If this was brail I guess caps is shouting-not sure,Doesnt bother me tho course not much does.

Nemo55 - 10-1-2012 at 11:38 AM

Hahahahhaha,,,well at least it's not FogHorn LegHorn,,ahhh Say,,,ArrrYa Listnin to me Boyyyy???
Kid's these day's....Uhu!!

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Well, that's funny!
When I read stuff that's all caps I hear Yosemite Sam.
If I read the same thing in lowercase I hear Jimmy Stewart...
You don't hear that?
Don't tell me it's just me....

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemo55
Ya know,,it's a funny thing...when i read someones post in Caps,,and then one in Small case,, i dont hear anything at all,,,,,maybe i gone deef or sumptin???
Lifes too damn short to get the underwear in a knot over such trivial stuff....Enjoy Fellow Travelers,,Enjoy!!!!

[Edited on 10-1-2012 by soulpatch]

LancairDriver - 10-1-2012 at 11:49 AM

Who cares? It's your style, why change? Most people can read and comprehend either way.

capt. mike - 10-1-2012 at 11:55 AM

any one who makes a big deal about ALL CAPS is a marooon....whom the F cares, why would they?
get a life cap haters....:lol::lol::lol:

Skipjack Joe - 10-1-2012 at 11:56 AM

It's somewhat bothersome. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it an annoyance factor of 3.

I suppose the reason it's done is to not have to hit the shift key when required.

Usually when you come across posts with all capitals you just skip over them. The same goes for baja accounts with no paragraphs. But with time you learn if the guy writes good material and take the trouble to read it. So, in effect, if you want to have the posts that you took the trouble to write, read, then don't use all capitals.

capt. mike - 10-1-2012 at 11:59 AM

agree on the no paragraphs. = skip those all - tooo hard to read the lines.

Feathers - 10-1-2012 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
It's somewhat bothersome. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it an annoyance factor of 3.

I suppose the reason it's done is to not have to hit the shift key when required.

Usually when you come across posts with all capitals you just skip over them. The same goes for baja accounts with no paragraphs. But with time you learn if the guy writes good material and take the trouble to read it. So, in effect, if you want to have the posts that you took the trouble to write, read, then don't use all capitals.

Very nicely-said... and I concur, too.:yes:

tortuga - 10-1-2012 at 12:38 PM

HELL, I DON'T MIND AT ALL ! :biggrin: oops caps lock was on :(

[Edited on 10-1-2012 by tortuga]

docvandijk - 10-1-2012 at 12:51 PM

The "poll" I was presented had one choice. It was in small letters, though.

mcfez - 10-1-2012 at 01:10 PM

i DONT care IF your PARAGRAPHS are ALL upper CASE :-)

I d0 CaRE wHeN FoLks TypE LikE ThiS!

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
just so I dont pee folks off !! does it really matter to nomads which size of letter I type in ??? K&T

Loretana - 10-1-2012 at 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I would guess that there is an elementary teacher, or host of teachers who are rolling in their graves as we speak.:lol::lol: and the caps are the least of it.

Man, you can say that again!! :yes::rolleyes:

paranewbi - 10-1-2012 at 02:17 PM

y ask

Bajaboy - 10-1-2012 at 02:21 PM

whatbothersmethemostisthatthishasnothingtodowithbajaandisawasteoftime

AndyP - 10-1-2012 at 03:18 PM

The majority of online readers are bothered by all caps. Personally I find it harder to read and it always conveys shouting/emphasis when it shouldn't. It bugs me quite a bit.

Why not just use all lowercase like someone suggested earlier? Equal simplicity, and few people would be bothered by that...

David K - 10-1-2012 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
what bothers me the most is that this has nothing to do with baja and is a waste of time

Hi Zac, you know I am only trying to help you in life (with our Facebook exchanges)... so here I also will help (and separating your one word into many may be a waste, too):

BUT, THIS IS the correct forum for this post by capkw: Forum Issues, Comments, or Suggestions

ie. it doesn't have to be about Baja California, just Baja Nomad.

captkw... I already know you like CAPS, so I know you were not SHOUTING... but it is your call, amigo!

msteve1014 - 10-1-2012 at 05:18 PM

If everything you post is in caps, HOW THE H..L WILL WE KNOW WHEN YOU ARE YELLING.

Udo - 10-1-2012 at 05:24 PM

Kinda like POMPANO who likes to write in size 4 letters, and font code, which are much larger that caps or bold.

Once we got used to it no one gives a hoot.

Bajaboy - 10-1-2012 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
what bothers me the most is that this has nothing to do with baja and is a waste of time

Hi Zac, you know I am only trying to help you in life (with our Facebook exchanges)... so here I also will help (and separating your one word into many may be a waste, too):

BUT, THIS IS the correct forum for this post by capkw: Forum Issues, Comments, or Suggestions

ie. it doesn't have to be about Baja California, just Baja Nomad.

captkw... I already know you like CAPS, so I know you were not SHOUTING... but it is your call, amigo!

Well, if it comes from your mouth, it must be true....just like your history lessons on Facebook:O:O

David K - 10-1-2012 at 05:44 PM

Okay, and you can tell your friends you heard it from a history book author! :yes: ;)

AmoPescar - 10-1-2012 at 06:01 PM

Captain...

Personally I don't care for posts that are completely written in CAPS...but I care even less for posts that are written completely in CAPS and BOLD. Like some, I think both are shouting and unnecessary.

I don't mind it when they are used to emphasize a word, a thought or in a heading. I think that is an appropriate use. I do that myself often. But maybe some think even that is too much.

BUT...that's just my opinion!

Miguelamo :) ;yes: ;)

bigmike58 - 10-1-2012 at 06:32 PM

bigmike58 - 10-1-2012 at 06:43 PM

willardguy - 10-1-2012 at 09:38 PM

bob says caps ARE on the way out.....you'll see. old technology! don't fight the wave!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

JZ - 10-1-2012 at 09:55 PM

Quote:

I read all types of forums. Boating, college football, Mexico, dirt bikes, you name it. Out of maybe 30,000 or more posters you are the only one not smart enough to realize you don't post w/caps on. Congrats.

ALL CAPS !!!!!!

Skipjack Joe - 10-1-2012 at 10:37 PM

This thread on the usage of all capitals reminded me of a Seinfeld episode where Jerry is bothered by Elaine's overusage of exclamation points. The following is a funny scene that captures some of the criticism that nomads feel about the all caps issue. I hope you like it.

[Edited on 10-2-2012 by Skipjack Joe]

bigmike58 - 10-2-2012 at 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
bob says caps ARE on the way out.....you'll see. old technology! don't fight the wave!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Classic!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Osprey - 10-2-2012 at 05:42 AM

Capitan Keith, I think I may have been too harsh in my criticism of your posts. I think it grew out of you threatening to "come down here and slap me around". You don't have to do that. You can shut me up, turn me around your way by just posting in ways to show your good side -- tell us about yourself, your travels in Baja and we may all warm to the "real you".

Besides if you come down here, start slapping me around, people who I owe money to might hear the commotion, come running, jump in to help you and it could get very messy.

mtgoat666 - 10-2-2012 at 06:42 AM

Quote:
is my writing in caps bothersome or who cares?

all caps is harder to read than lower case. it's just sort of annoying to read all caps.

why do you prefer to write in all caps? :?::?::?::?::?::?:

wessongroup - 10-2-2012 at 07:57 AM

As long as ya don't bust one in my ass .. go for it :biggrin::biggrin:

vgabndo - 10-2-2012 at 08:31 PM

I'm with msteve...because it is troublesome to underline, or italicize, on these pages, I could never go with all caps 'cause it so limits my range of ways to make myself more clear. It is SO much easier to hit the cap lock key than to go through the steps to underline or change fonts.

At my age, not everyone learned to type in school. I was taught that if I was going to write college papers, I'd better learn this simple skill. I'm always amazed at the number of people, who grew up in the age of constant keyboard use, who can only type with two fingers, and to whom the shift key is a bother.

I like the Sam Harris argument that is very common on line. He states that it is anyone's right to believe that Elvis is alive. But, no one has to respect that belief. And, as soon as you say Elvis is alive, you may assume I've stopped listening. It sort of works the same way with cap-locked posts; do it if it makes you happy, but realize you've likely lost part of any audience you sought.

[Edited on 10-3-2012 by vgabndo]

Lee - 10-2-2012 at 09:07 PM

I have less problem with caps than I do with those who must write a treatise dozens of lines long -- WITH NO PARAGRAPHS! After about the 6th line, my eyes start crosssing and I lose my place.

There needs to be a rule: make a complete thought in a paragraph no longer than 6 lines. Then, skip a line and begin the same thought or a different one -- or use a larger font.

Actually, I do have a problem with caps -- PLUS large colored fonts. There's only one person who does that and am thankful he stays in OT.