BajaNomad

Ensenada Breakfast or Lunch recommendation?

Bob H - 6-11-2013 at 06:58 PM

Audrey and I are headed to Ensenada in a couple of weeks and would like to try some place different for breakfast while we are there.

El Sauzal too!

[Edited on 6-19-2013 by Bob H]

liknbaja127 - 6-11-2013 at 07:23 PM

Rubio's! It is on the road to central, Ensenada. Don't go toward Malecon.
At circle stay left, go down app 1 1/2 miles, it is on the right, yellow sign on top, RUBIO'S go past and make u turn, and park right in front. They have best flour torts in town!! Same family, from Viejo San Quintin, which is another great place for breakfast, if you are that way. Rubio's is closed on Sunday :(

EnsenadaDr - 6-11-2013 at 07:33 PM

Best breakfast in Ensenada is Punta Morro Brunch Saturdays and Sundays
Followed by Hotel Coral and Marina weekend brunch Saturdays and Sundays
Best daily breakfast hands down Baja Frut, either in the center of town, or at the Macroplaza, phenomenal Eggs Benedict, fruit salads, omelettes and fresh juices of all types...

Breakfast

J.P. - 6-11-2013 at 07:38 PM

We enjoy the Baja Fruit they are consistently good .

MMc - 6-11-2013 at 07:44 PM

Mi Kasa, roll down the Malcone until you see the heads turn inland, they are 1/2 down the block on the left side. More of a local place then a gringo place. I love their food.

Bob H - 6-11-2013 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr

Oh, we have walked through this place... always wanted to eat there. I think we'll try it for Sunday Brunch!!

Thanks!

EnsenadaDr - 6-11-2013 at 08:32 PM

Pretty reasonable for all you can eat buffet, around $12 a person. and the view is absolutely gorgeous, it is the Marine Room in La Jolla's south of the border. Just to mention, in El Sauzal I went to a place for lunch called El Sarmiento Restaurant, it is about a mile and a half after the toll booth on your right going south in a cluster of restaurants including Terra Noble, Kalifa...and the view is beautiful it is right on the ocean. They are advertising a gourmet breakfast on Facebook. When I went there, the place was very small, but the food was all cooked to order, very original recipes, quite tasty, medium to high priced. If you are looking for a very small place with a gorgeous, very up close view of Ensenada Bay, this is the place.
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:

Oh, we have walked through this place... always wanted to eat there. I think we'll try it for Sunday Brunch!!

Thanks!

[Edited on 6-12-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

Bob H - 6-11-2013 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
Pretty reasonable for all you can eat buffet, around $12 a person. and the view is absolutely gorgeous, it is the Marine Room in La Jolla's south of the border. Just to mention, in El Sauzal I went to a place for lunch called El Sarmiento Restaurant, it is about a mile and a half after the toll booth on your right going south in a cluster of restaurants including Terra Noble, Kalifa...and the view is beautiful it is right on the ocean. They are advertising a gourmet breakfast on Facebook.
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!

[Edited on 6-12-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

El Sarmiento Restaurant... this sounds great for lunch! We are staying at a house in Cibola del Mar, so that's close by. Thanks, AGAIN!

EnsenadaDr - 6-11-2013 at 08:45 PM

Ophelia's is another great place in El Sauzal for dinner, great homemade breads and the house lasagna is wonderful...it's on your right about 1 mile from Cibola, also don't miss across the road from Cibola at San Miguel the San Miguel Restaurant. I met my son and his surfing buddies there for breakfast last week, my's son's friend had a wonderful salmon omelette. The coffee was great, turns out it was from Chiapas. You can buy the coffee they make at Casa de Café on Cortez in Ensenada. Many of these places are closed Mondays.

plumkell - 6-12-2013 at 08:16 AM

We love Las Cazuelitas for breakfast. It is downstairs from the Hotel Santo Tomas.

BajaBlanca - 6-12-2013 at 03:42 PM

For lunch you might want to try wherever Sirena.'s husband is working (Sirena is Shari's daughter, for those who don't know her). He is one fabulous cook. Once, ages ago, we all had a BBQ in Asuncion and his hamburgers were out of this world. How can you make such a great burger, i asked. If I remember correctly, he said he puts OJ in the meat........it was very good.

They live in Ensenada and wherever he is is lucky to have him.

DENNIS - 6-12-2013 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
For lunch you might want to try wherever Sirena.'s husband is working

Wasn't that Ophelia's that Dra. Janene mentioned above?

DavidE - 6-12-2013 at 04:02 PM

¿Machaca de res mas nopalitos con huevos revueltos? A traditional desayuno is pan dulce con No Es Cafe...

Bajahowodd - 6-12-2013 at 04:06 PM

We have two faves that we have returned to over the years. Las Cazuelas (not the Cazuelitas, previously mentioned), and Mi Kaza.

Las Cazuelas is on Delante just off Costero. Been there for a very long time, and it's packed on the weekends.

Mi Kaza has great food, too. But, nowhere near the ambiance you will find at Las Cazuelas.

shari - 6-12-2013 at 04:34 PM

I also highly recommend SAn Miguel for breakfast...fantastic food, homemade bread, amazing grounds...eat outside next to the sea. Why dont you call Sirena and you can all go out for breakky together!!! U2U me for her number if you want...it would be fun!

Excelente desayuno

durrelllrobert - 6-12-2013 at 07:41 PM

After you pass through Maneadero turn left at Y towards La Bufadora and go 1/2 block. Restaurante Los Lobos is in the right.

[Edited on 6-13-2013 by durrelllrobert]

Bajahowodd - 6-14-2013 at 04:58 PM

I don't think left will work for someone headed Southbound.:?:

Bob H - 6-14-2013 at 10:49 PM

Thank you so much for all of the recommendations..........wow

shari - 6-15-2013 at 07:10 AM

Gee Bob, you will have to stay a week to try them all!

BornFisher - 6-15-2013 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I also highly recommend SAn Miguel for breakfast...fantastic food, homemade bread, amazing grounds...eat outside next to the sea.

Was closed last Wednesday, I was bummed!!! So maybe Wed. is their day off!

Bob H - 6-18-2013 at 10:55 PM

Only a few more days, and we are headed to Ensenada! Looking forward to some great times there !! It's been a while for our Baja FIX !

shari - 6-19-2013 at 07:08 AM

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time....wish you were heading a wee further south to grace our shores again!

WideAngleWandering - 6-19-2013 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by plumkell
We love Las Cazuelitas for breakfast. It is downstairs from the Hotel Santo Tomas.

Yes! This post wins the thread. Manta ray machaca and coffee is the most delicious and civilized way to start the day.

EnsenadaDr - 6-19-2013 at 09:41 AM

Have to bring up a new idea that maybe we can get started in Baja. My geometry teacher from high school is my friend on Facebook, and asked everyone today does a picture of food posted look appetizing. I answered him with a "yes" especially after seeing a clip from Yelp in San Diego on Hash House a go go, a place in Hillcrest, that serves the latest and greatest heart attack breakfast, Fried chicken and bacon waffles!!! OMG!! ok guys I have to say it sounds delicious...after taking a half a bottle of your friendly local statin medication from Farmacias similares, check this link out and let me know if you like this idea for breakfast or not?

http://www.yelp.com/weekly?editorial_id=LsXA8nL5bO9cva_p7xfN...

DENNIS - 6-19-2013 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
check this link out and let me know if you like this idea for breakfast or not?

That is freakin' gross. :barf:

EnsenadaDr - 6-19-2013 at 09:54 AM

Dennis, you are LYING!! I know you would love it, you love bacon and fried chicken!!

Don't know where Hillcrest fits into this but ....

durrelllrobert - 6-19-2013 at 10:01 AM

There are to variants of this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_and_waffles‎

Soul food version
The best known chicken and waffle pairing comes from the American soul food tradition and uses fried chicken. The waffle is served much as it would be at breakfast time, with condiments like butter and syrup. This unusual combination of foods is beloved by many people who are influenced by traditions of soul food passed down from past generations of their families.

Pennsylvania Dutch version
The traditional Pennsylvania Dutch version consists of a plain waffle with pulled, stewed chicken on top, covered in gravy. It is generally found in the Northeastern United States.

History
The exact origins of this dish are unknown, although several theories about its origin exist. One such theory is that waffles entered American cuisine in the 1790s after Thomas Jefferson’s purchase of a waffle iron from France. Recipes for waffles and chicken soon appeared in cookbooks. Because African Americans in the South rarely had the opportunity to eat chicken and were more familiar with flapjacks or pancakes than with waffles, they considered the dish a delicacy. For decades, it remained “a special-occasion meal in African American families.”

Other historians place the origin later, after the post-Civil War migration of African Americans to the North. Fried chicken was a common breakfast meat, and serving “a breakfast bread with whatever meat [was available] comes out of the rural tradition.” The combination of chicken and waffles does not appear in early Southern cookbooks such as Mrs. Porter’s Southern Cookery Book, published in 1871 or in What Mrs. Fisher Knows About Old Southern Cooking, published in 1881 by former slave Abby Fisher. Fisher’s cookbook is generally considered the first cookbook written by an African American. The lack of a recipe for the combination of chicken and waffles in Southern cookbooks from the era may suggest a later origin for the dish, although it is also possible that the two foods were simply traditionally served together and were not considered a single dish.

Bob H - 6-19-2013 at 10:50 PM

Looks like a Hi-Jack thread.... still interested in places to eat LOCAL in Ensenada area.... lol

DENNIS - 6-20-2013 at 08:03 AM

Nobody has mentioned one of your old favorites, Bob........Cocteleria Mazatlan, out by the bus station.

David K - 6-20-2013 at 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Nobody has mentioned one of your old favorites, Bob........Cocteleria Mazatlan, out by the bus station.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=43531

[Edited on 6-20-2013 by David K]

DENNIS - 6-20-2013 at 09:13 AM

Thanks, David, for the step back in time. That was fun.

Big Thumbs Up for Cocteleria Mazatlan

Gypsy Jan - 6-20-2013 at 11:16 AM

Their seafood is delicious and impeccably fresh.

Besides those insanely good stuffed clams, I love the oysters on the half shell.

Don't forget the bucket of beer - if that is your sort of thing at breakfast (as the guy on the TV show in response to a critical remark when he asked for a drink, after arriving extremely jet-lagged, at 8:00 am, "Float a Cheerio in it!").

[Edited on 6-20-2013 by Gypsy Jan]

Bajahowodd - 6-20-2013 at 05:00 PM

My vote is still for Las Cazuelas, on Delante just off Costero, next to the donut shop.

They have professional waiters, large menu,great food, and a homey, clubby atmosphere, similar to Malarrimo in GN.

David K - 6-20-2013 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks, David, for the step back in time. That was fun.

There is a ton of great reading and photography here on Baja Nomad... now going back nearly 11 years!

Big thank you to Doug Means ('BajaNomad') for keeping this web site online!!!

DENNIS - 6-20-2013 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
My vote is still for Las Cazuelas, on Delante just off Costero, next to the donut shop.

That would be Tutti Donas. Just forget Las Cazuelas and get a bag full of Tutti's Apple Fritters , hot outa the oven. :yes:

DENNIS - 6-20-2013 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

There is a ton of great reading and photography here on Baja Nomad... now going back nearly 11 years!

Big thank you to Doug Means ('BajaNomad') for keeping this web site online!!!

I noticed a post by Pompano/Roger in that thread. Has anyone heard from or about him? He's been AWOL for a while.

EnsenadaDr - 6-21-2013 at 08:57 AM

On your way to Valle de Guadalupe there is a restaurant on the right in San Antonio de las Minas that has been recently redone called Leonard's and it looks jammed packed with cars in the morning...I have always wanted to stop there. You know San Antonio is known for the mile high apple pie made with delicious cinnamon sugar coated thinly sliced apples layered with cheese, irresistible when heated.

J.P. - 6-21-2013 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
On your way to Valle de Guadalupe there is a restaurant on the right in San Antonio de las Minas that has been recently redone called Leonard's and it looks jammed packed with cars in the morning...I have always wanted to stop there. You know San Antonio is known for the mile high apple pie made with delicious cinnamon sugar coated thinly sliced apples layered with cheese, irresistible when heated.

In that area Leonard's is the go too place they have a very good bakery there also.

EnsenadaDr - 6-21-2013 at 09:06 AM

Yes I picked up the apple pie at the bakery near there, they have many delicious pastries there, and you can get the pie with or without cheese...I think San Antonio de las Minas apple pie is better than any I have ever eaten, including back east and Julian pie. Has anyone eaten at Leonard's?
Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.[/
Quote:

In that area Leonard's is the go too place they have a very good bakery there also.

J.P. - 6-21-2013 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Yes I picked up the apple pie at the bakery near there, they have many delicious pastries there, and you can get the pie with or without cheese...I think San Antonio de las Minas apple pie is better than any I have ever eaten, including back east and Julian pie. Has anyone eaten at Leonard's?
Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.[/
Quote:

YES ever chance we get :?::?:

Bob H - 6-22-2013 at 08:14 AM

Have had breakfast at Leonard's... wonderful!!

We are on our way to Ensenada in a few minutes !!!!:spingrin:

DENNIS - 6-22-2013 at 08:17 AM

Quote:

We are on our way to Ensenada in a few minutes !!!!:spingrin:

Drive safe, and just remember the great Baja motto, "You can't litter aluminum."

woody with a view - 6-22-2013 at 08:23 AM

DENNIS, are you saying that tossing your empty TKT cans out the window at 80kph is a way of paying it forward?:lol:

DENNIS - 6-22-2013 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
DENNIS, are you saying that tossing your empty TKT cans out the window at 80kph is a way of paying it forward?:lol:

Of course. Sharing our blessings with the world. That can will be on it's way to someone's investment portfolio by the second bounce. :saint:

Bajahowodd - 6-22-2013 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

That would be Tutti Donas. Just forget Las Cazuelas and get a bag full of Tutti's Apple Fritters , hot outa the oven. :yes:

Nah. Have a great breakfast and then go next door for desert.:yes:

EnsenadaDr - 6-23-2013 at 06:20 PM

oK Bob when you get back we want to hear all about it.

Bubba - 6-24-2013 at 03:18 PM

There I go licking my monitor again.

David K - 6-24-2013 at 04:23 PM

Those clams were killer-good!

vacaenbaja - 6-24-2013 at 04:36 PM

Does anyone know the name of that cafe that is next door to one of
the police stations in Ensenada. I cant remember if it is
Policia municipal or transito or what, but a long while back
it seemed to be very popular with police and locals for a
resonably priced good breakfast, nothing fancy but a
good bang for your peso. It is kind of back set a few streets
from the main drag as I recall.

DENNIS - 6-24-2013 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vacaenbaja
Does anyone know the name of that cafe that is next door to one of
the police stations in Ensenada.

Monique's........on 9th.

EnsenadaDr - 6-24-2013 at 04:51 PM

I don't know, but it is rumored Bob and his wife spent two nights consecutively well into the madrugada at Hussong's and never got up for breakfast...reports have it that they made Sano's for dinner on Saturday night and El Rey Sol for dinner on Sunday night:O

[Edited on 6-24-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

Bob H - 6-24-2013 at 10:13 PM

We are back... what a great time visiting our friends in Ensenada (Cibola del Mar). We found a wonderful place to have lunch on the malecon, near the fish market, right next door to a glass enclosed mariscos place, outside, with our dog, Luke, and had a wonderful time eating some fantastic seafood and carnitas adobado (spelling?)... Spent a few hours there. Luke, our chocolate lab, was a hit with everyone.

It looked like the glass enclosed Mariscos place was packed with patrons. Must be a great place to eat. But, we had our dog Luke, or we would have gone in there. I have to look at my photos to get the name of the place. And, will post later.

I will post some pictures when I get them ready.

EnsenadaDr - 6-24-2013 at 10:19 PM

Now wait a minute, Bob, you picked our brains for days about breakfast and all you can tell us is you went for lunch at Muelle Tres? What's wrong with this picture? Not even a poached egg or a slice of bacon the whole weekend?
Quote:
We are back... what a great time visiting our friends in Ensenada (Cibola del Mar). We found a wonderful place to have lunch on the malecon, near the fish market, right next door to a glass enclosed mariscos place, outside, with our dog, Luke, and had a wonderful time eating some fantastic seafood and carnitas adobado (spelling?)... Spent a few hours there. Luke, our chocolate lab, was a hit with everyone.

It looked like the glass enclosed Mariscos place was packed with patrons. Must be a great place to eat. But, we had our dog Luke, or we would have gone in there. I have to look at my photos to get the name of the place. And, will post later.

:fire:

David K - 6-25-2013 at 07:52 AM

Any 'Almejas Al Carbón'? :light::cool:

Bob H - 6-25-2013 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Now wait a minute, Bob, you picked our brains for days about breakfast and all you can tell us is you went for lunch at Muelle Tres? What's wrong with this picture? Not even a poached egg or a slice of bacon the whole weekend?
Quote:

:fire:

The people that we stayed with cooked so much food while we were there; it was incredible!

However, I have added all of the suggestions on this thread to our bucket list for future trips!

Bob H - 6-25-2013 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Any 'Almejas Al Carbón'? :light::cool:

Not this time around. We never made it to that part of town. Maybe next time!