BajaNomad

Another border check?

Anonymous - 11-13-2004 at 05:44 PM

I saw on another website that a Federal Investigation agency had set up checkpoints within 15 meters of the crossings in Mexicali and were doing far more intensive searches than the customs agents at Garita. The customs people went to talk with them and a heated discussion ensued. Has anyone been through this secondary checkpoint and what are they looking for?

JESSE - 11-13-2004 at 05:47 PM

Not heard of it, but it sounds like its not soemthing permanent, theres a big trouble with customs agents in the Baja garitas being too corrupt, so that might be the reason for the AFI being here.

MrBillM - 11-13-2004 at 06:14 PM

On two occasions I have crossed into Mexico at the Eastern
(Garita Oriente) Mexicali checkpoint and encountered Agents
with their vehicles forming a chokepoint just past the
established inspection area that you had to drive through.
On one occasion I was simply waved on and the other time
they stopped me long enough to look into the side window
of the camper shell. The latest of those incidents was
about 6 months ago.

viabaja - 11-14-2004 at 09:36 PM

Last Wed. nite, 11/10/04, they were checking vehicles as you went thru (after green lite & after normal customs) at the east Mexicali border. They were looking for stuff that should have been declared. Better have your receipt and have paid the tax or one could have your vehicle impounded! I can see where the Aduana folks would have some arguments with these Federal dudes.

Also, the Federal Police have a check point (trailer & all) set up before Laguna Salada. Vehicle safety/registration checks?? They've always waved me thru.

wilderone - 11-15-2004 at 09:57 AM

Regarding checkpoints in general at this particular time, I'm sure you're aware that there is a threat of Al Queda munitions and operatives imported into the U.S. through Mexico? I'm sure that, as far as "intelligence" is disseminated to the public, this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Al Queda: Heading the wrong way!

Cameron - 11-20-2004 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Regarding checkpoints in general at this particular time, I'm sure you're aware that there is a threat of Al Queda munitions and operatives imported into the U.S. through Mexico? I'm sure that, as far as "intelligence" is disseminated to the public, this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Isn't the Checkpoint mentioned on the road heading southbound/into Mexico??? Seems to me they're heading the wrong way if they're trying to smuggle stuff into the US... :)
Cameron

Dyslexia

jrbaja - 11-20-2004 at 03:18 PM

rears it's ugly head in the fight against terrorism:lol:

Careful, Ashcroft is still on duty and may be monitoring this website.

BajaVida - 11-20-2004 at 05:30 PM

Big Bro...

Cameron - 11-20-2004 at 07:12 PM

Isn't Ashcroft the mental giant responsible for the "...Americans had better learn to watch what they say.." quote?

You'd think a high-level Cabinet official would have at least a passing aquaintance with the Constitution...

Then again, his boss still can't pronounce the word "nuclear", and he's got a few thousand nukes at his twitchy fingertips!:tumble: