BajaNomad

Looking for Contractor - Los Zacatitos, East Cape, Baja Sur

tejassurfer - 7-11-2013 at 02:34 PM

My wife and I will be flying into San Jose Del Cabo on July 20th, 2013 to meet with contractors to start a house build on our lots in Los Zacatitos, East Cape - Baja Sur. Any Help on a reputable, trustworthy contractor would be greatly appreciated. We are looking to do a very simple structure, 2 story, 1000 square ft of interior living with a 500 square ft covered Patio. We currently have a estimate of $78 per square ft for a simple finished structure from a Contractor (Carlos Villanero) who is a friend of my family. Just wanting to find a few other contractors that would be good for us to meet on our 2 wk vacation.

bledito - 7-11-2013 at 08:10 PM

do you have plans already drawn and signed off on by a mexican engineer?I talked to a guy in la ventana who state prices are around 100 US per sq foot finished and anuther 5000 us for a mexican engineer to sign off on plans i provide. seemed kinda high to me but he says material prices are high. What are you building with cinder block, rastra block, or ef block, or what ? are you foam insulating the roofs? I was told by this guy that i could cut 25 % being my own general on site and save anouther 5+% buying my own material. and even would provide a crew and pay the ss taxes for the crew as they would still be working for him. construction is very slow still and crews need work. my spanish is little or none so i would have to get a guy to translate for me or hope the lead crew guy knew english enough. i would also need to do more research on getting materials and equipment. 78. seems pretty reasonable i would definatly do some more looking as well and have contracts laying out all that is to be done to what quality. 2 week is not a lot of time unless you have schedualed meeting already set. I will be in east cape looking to do the same in jan for a nov start. i'd be interested in what you might accomplish during you trip perhaphs build on your experiance. also if i used the material this guy reps h'll discount it as well . good luck.

volcano - 7-12-2013 at 06:12 AM

Alfredo Gomez is excellent

tejassurfer - 7-12-2013 at 08:26 AM

I do not have any plans drawn up as of it. Carlos Villerana ($78 per square ft) quote is an architect/contractor with his own crew. The quote of $78 per sq ft is for basic cinderblock construction no foam insulation. The quote is for a very basic finished house, wood doors, aluminum windows, stained concrete floors, cabinets, fixtures, plumbing, electrical not including solar system, concrete countertops. My wife and I are not looking to have a finished house built all we want is an enclosed structure with windows and doors and electrical and plumbing installed, no finishes on the floors, no fixtures, no cabinets or no tile work, no countertops, etc. My wifes dad is a contractor in the states and will be coming down to do all the finishing touches on the house. So Im hoping my quotes will come in lower due to not finishing out the house. Also the quote does not include environmental impact study, architecture fees, enigneer fees, or permit fees. It does include ss payments for the workers. I will keep you updated on my progress I currently have 3 interviews with contractors that are architects/egineers set up.

tejassurfer - 7-12-2013 at 08:36 AM

Thanks for Alfredo Gomez I will try and track him down to set up an interview.

bledito - 7-12-2013 at 03:21 PM

the guy i spoke with mentioned that an Enviormental impact study is not required for a personal residence. you and I have the same idea get the basids in and finish the rest to our liking I enjoy lookin for the tile and finishes, fixtures etc. need to calculate the material costs by price in mexico for concrete rebar ef block. I was told and ef block 1000 sq foot can be built in about three months.

bajajudy - 7-12-2013 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bledito
the guy i spoke with mentioned that an Enviormental impact study is not required for a personal residence.

I think that this bad information but I could be wrong.

El Jefe - 7-12-2013 at 04:27 PM

Talk to people that have used the contractor you are interested in using. Many contractors will give you a good low bid to get the job. But at some point you may find that your entire budget has been spent and you are three quarters through what the contractor was supposed to do, and now he is asking for more money.
Happens all the time. The only way you can know is to look at his past history with prior clients. Get referrals and follow up. This is the most important decision you will make regarding the project, other than buying the land. Don't be in a hurry.

Go to Zac's restaurant and ask around with people you meet there. Not a lot of folks in town right now, but enough to get the idea. Good luck.

Business directory - Builders

windgrrl - 7-12-2013 at 05:18 PM

Some of the businesses listed have websites:

East Cape builders, etc.

You might consider asking for references from their clients.

bledito - 7-12-2013 at 05:56 PM

Like many other countries, Mexico has enviornmental protection laws in place and certain contruction projects and land holdings are subject to environmental studies.
Each and every owner of beach front property, either through a FTD contract or “Escritura” is subject to inspection and sanction by PROFEPA ( environment DA).

One who has Personal Rights or Real Rights on the property must abide by the laws which govern the environment so that no damage is done. To do this one must refer to the rules established by the government and applied by the agency called SAMARNAT.

Beach fronting properties:

Two basic rules: If you are to use the property as a private home you do not need an environment impact study but if you are going to operate a commercial place you must have said study done by government approved experts; this been said one is ahead of the game if one investigate what one can do or not do before doing any changes on the property.

Interior properties:
One can not just bulldoze scrubs and trees without a permit…one has first get in touch with the government authority called SAMARNAT and request a permit to cut down shrubs and trees. Some of the native trees are protected and one who cuts down a protected tree will pay a heavy fine as per the law, thus the need to enter in contact with the authority before doing any modification on the land.

Conclusion:
The protection of the environment in Mexico is done through several laws, by-laws and presidential decrees and only experts in the matter can provide the proper information on the laws which are constantly changing, fines are heavy thus the need to hire only the best who really knows what are the applicable law and regulation for each area.

Share with: Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on printMore Sharing Services
In case you are visited by an inspector from PROFEPA you must not sign any documents unless you clearly know what is reported on the report and you must immediately contact expert lawyers so as to make sure your Rights are respected before sentence is rendered…

For information on the above subject or any legal issue please contact me,

Lic. Jacques-Edouard Beaulne,

bajajudy - 7-12-2013 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by windgrrl
Some of the businesses listed have websites:

East Cape builders, etc.

You might consider asking for references from their clients.

Good info but too many La Paz exchanges and really Los Barriles is a trek. I would try to find someone closer.

windgrrl - 7-12-2013 at 08:51 PM

Heh, heh...should have checked the map. Although some of the builds around here would give Cabo a run for their $$$.
:tumble:

Islandbuilder - 7-13-2013 at 10:29 PM

I think that you will be well served to have at least some rough floor plans and elevations for builders to look at before asking them for an estimate. The more detailed and complete your plans, the more useful their estimates will be for you as a planning tool.
Gather pictures of what features you like, trims, cabinets, fixtures, etc. What sort of roofing, wall finishes, floor finishes etc.
Detail is the friend of both you and your future builder!!
Another way to go is to look at houses in the area that you like, find out who built them and when, and find out how much they cost. Add a reasonable percentage for every year since the house was built for increased costs.
Don't fall into the trap of thinking you can build it for less than every builder says you can. Work out a budget that includes a substantial contingency percentage, then reduce it ONLY as you get firm prices based on your final drawings that you WILL NOT CHANGE as you go through the construction process.
I have seen too many folks who run out of money with their home unfinished and unsellable because they didn't put enough energy into their plans and budgets. Don't let this happen to you!

monoloco - 7-13-2013 at 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Islandbuilder
I think that you will be well served to have at least some rough floor plans and elevations for builders to look at before asking them for an estimate. The more detailed and complete your plans, the more useful their estimates will be for you as a planning tool.
Gather pictures of what features you like, trims, cabinets, fixtures, etc. What sort of roofing, wall finishes, floor finishes etc.
Detail is the friend of both you and your future builder!!
Another way to go is to look at houses in the area that you like, find out who built them and when, and find out how much they cost. Add a reasonable percentage for every year since the house was built for increased costs.
Don't fall into the trap of thinking you can build it for less than every builder says you can. Work out a budget that includes a substantial contingency percentage, then reduce it ONLY as you get firm prices based on your final drawings that you WILL NOT CHANGE as you go through the construction process.
I have seen too many folks who run out of money with their home unfinished and unsellable because they didn't put enough energy into their plans and budgets. Don't let this happen to you!
Good advice. Spec everything or be prepared to be nickel and dime'd to death.

bajajudy - 7-14-2013 at 08:11 AM

A Nomad who shall go unnamed sent me this:

I couldn't help emailing you regarding your comment. Of course you need a permit from SEMARNAT to clear your lot for construction - and the penalties are draconian when PROFEPA (the enforcement arm) discover you don't have one.

I have an environmental engineer contract in front of me as I write this for an Estudio Tecnico Justificativo para Cambio de Uso del Suelo (ETJS). To clear (desmonte) your lot you need a permit and an approved rescate (rescue) plan for protected plant species.

volcano - 7-14-2013 at 11:53 AM

can you give me a link to the firm that will perform these studies, and tell me the cost you paid?

BajaNomad - 7-14-2013 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bledito
Like many other countries, Mexico has enviornmental protection laws in place and certain contruction projects and land holdings are subject to environmental studies.
Each and every owner of beach front property, either through a FTD contract or “Escritura” is subject to inspection and sanction by PROFEPA ( environment DA).

One who has Personal Rights or Real Rights on the property must abide by the laws which govern the environment so that no damage is done. To do this one must refer to the rules established by the government and applied by the agency called SAMARNAT.

Beach fronting properties:

Two basic rules: If you are to use the property as a private home you do not need an environment impact study but if you are going to operate a commercial place you must have said study done by government approved experts; this been said one is ahead of the game if one investigate what one can do or not do before doing any changes on the property.

Interior properties:
One can not just bulldoze scrubs and trees without a permit…one has first get in touch with the government authority called SAMARNAT and request a permit to cut down shrubs and trees. Some of the native trees are protected and one who cuts down a protected tree will pay a heavy fine as per the law, thus the need to enter in contact with the authority before doing any modification on the land.

Conclusion:
The protection of the environment in Mexico is done through several laws, by-laws and presidential decrees and only experts in the matter can provide the proper information on the laws which are constantly changing, fines are heavy thus the need to hire only the best who really knows what are the applicable law and regulation for each area.

Share with: Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on printMore Sharing Services
In case you are visited by an inspector from PROFEPA you must not sign any documents unless you clearly know what is reported on the report and you must immediately contact expert lawyers so as to make sure your Rights are respected before sentence is rendered…

For information on the above subject or any legal issue please contact me,

Lic. Jacques-Edouard Beaulne,

Careful quoting others without supplying the source (the above was from Baja Insider website). Someone thought Beaulne ("fast eddy") was back posting here again as bledito - and reported it to me as such. fyi.

References:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=47463

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46804

bledito - 7-14-2013 at 06:43 PM

What is the policy? In buena vista or los barilles are these enviormental studies required ? If so where does one go to obtain one? Why is it so dificult to figure these things out ? I try to research these things as well as i can and continually get conflicting information. My apoligies on not providing source.

Two things

bajaguy - 7-14-2013 at 07:22 PM

Get a copy of "God and Mr Gomez".......the trials and tribulations of building in Baja. It's available from Amazon.com

Get a copy of your building plans and BE THERE EVERY DAY

DENNIS - 7-14-2013 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Someone thought Beaulne ("fast eddy") was back posting here again as bledito - and reported it to me as such. fyi.

And.....the verdict is?????
Seems they had the same spelling coach.

vandenberg - 7-14-2013 at 07:48 PM

try Angie's list.!!
:biggrin::biggrin: