BajaNomad

Other than living in Baja, why are you a BajaNomad?

EnsenadaDr - 3-11-2014 at 07:28 AM

I like this board because of the individuality of the members and the pioneer spirit many seem to have and a sense of independence. I also feel the need for up to date medical information to be shared to all because of the lack of consistency of medical plans between Mexico and the US.

Osprey - 3-11-2014 at 07:58 AM

There are affinity groups everywhere there are people. Only natural that socially mature (and others) people want to meet and discuss things with those who have such strong common interests as where they live and or work or play especially if that common thing has the charm and challenge Baja holds.

MrAdamas - 3-11-2014 at 09:14 AM

Do you have to live there to be a member on this board?

David K - 3-11-2014 at 09:15 AM

Baja is a magic place I have felt a connection to for most of my life. When I can't be in Baja, then Baja Nomad is the next best thing to read about and see photos of Baja. The host of this site (Doug, BajaNomad) is a friend and I have met many new friends because of Baja Nomad. It's my nature to share with others on what I know or have experienced, and the forum is a great avenue of idea/ information exchange.

David K - 3-11-2014 at 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrAdamas

I am more alive in Baja... and that is living! I think EnsenadaDr didn't realize most Nomads do not live most of the time in Baja and that helps Nomad be so popular. It helps us be there when we are not there!

motoged - 3-11-2014 at 09:20 AM

DK,
Well said....so ditto for me...although I have met only a half-dozen Nomads personally....most are folks I would like to spend more time with when down in Baja.

I only get to travel south every second year or so...sometimes yearly....so this forum keeps me apprised of places, developments, road conditions, places to eat and stay at,...... and the gossip wars.....:lol:

As David said....it is a way of keeping "in touch" when not able to be there. :saint: :cool:

Udo - 3-11-2014 at 09:29 AM

I feel Bajanomad is an interactive media used worldwide, by members worldwide.
Many members are just lurkers with a dream to someday travel to the Baja peninsula.
Those members, and sometimes visitors, who eventually wish to travel to Baja, need someone's input based from the many board members who have traveled the peninsula for many years. Those travelers can really use such advice.
Unlike Facebook, and other interactive social media, we, the members, are here to try to answer the questions of those future travelers. And, at least in my case, I like to help anyone I can in promoting Baja.
In my travels throughout the peninsula, I have met many Bajanomads as my travels take me nearby their residence, and that alone has been an incalculable pleasure!

DENNIS - 3-11-2014 at 09:53 AM

Quote:

If you don't, you have to send me twenty dollars each month. We call it "fantasy rental." :lol:

Jes kiddin'. Everybody is welcome here. :saint:

pauldavidmena - 3-11-2014 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
When I can't be in Baja, then Baja Nomad is the next best thing to read about and see photos of Baja.

+1 for me. I'm a Nomad-wannabe who is in his final years of paying his dues to The Man. My post-Rat Race crash pad will be in Baja, but currently I don't get there as often as I would like. This forum helps me to maintain the vibe without the inevitable tequila hangover.

villafontana - 3-11-2014 at 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

If you don't, you have to send me twenty dollars each month. We call it "fantasy rental." :lol:

Hey Dennis, and what i can get for ten dollars a month?? Lol

Cypress - 3-11-2014 at 10:07 AM

Don't live in Baja, doubt if I'll ever return. It's a unique place. There are some interesting folks on the forum. It's nice to keep in contact and see how things are shaking-out down there, especially the fishing which seems to be on the upswing. :D

Barry A. - 3-11-2014 at 10:30 AM

65 years or so visiting and camping in Baja, and still interested in what is happening down there. Never have lived there, however, and the main attraction for me has always been the wildness of it all, and the exploring and fishing.

Barry

EnsenadaDr - 3-11-2014 at 10:35 AM

Dennis does your monkey at your house have any connection with Anthony's in Ensenada?
Quote:
Quote:

DanO - 3-11-2014 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
There are affinity groups everywhere there are people. Only natural that socially mature (and others) people want to meet and discuss things with those who have such strong common interests as where they live and or work or play especially if that common thing has the charm and challenge Baja holds.

Well put George, as usual. As you observe, social maturity is not a prerequisite for participation here. As one of the "others," I appreciate that fact.

24baja - 3-11-2014 at 10:50 AM

We fell in love with Baja, its people and the people who love Baja as we do. We find this board extremely helpful and its members for the most part, very generous and down to earth. We do get a little tired of those posts like the turtle one that degrade and are tiresome......they are the ones we choose not to follow.

This all being said.....thanks nomads for the advise, friendship and entertainment.

[Edited on 3-11-2014 by 24baja]

DENNIS - 3-11-2014 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by villafontana

Speaking of fantasies in your neck of the woods, a stroll down memory lane through the Blue Fox and the Long Bar.
Jeeezo...them's was the days!!! :saint:

villafontana - 3-11-2014 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Speaking of fantasies in your neck of the woods, a stroll down memory lane through the Blue Fox and the Long Bar.

Great! Where do i send the money order? Hahaha. Love to swap baja stories!!

sancho - 3-11-2014 at 11:49 AM

I live 60 mi. no. of San Diego, 1st trip was surfing San
Miguel, Ensenada, early '70's. Baja has always been a
second home of sorts, it's an esacpe now, in some ways
a step back in time. I feel more comfortable walking the
streets of Baja towns, well maybe not TJ, than in a
mall in Orange County. You ask some interesting
questions Ensenada Dr. DK, what was the name
of the Baja board before BN, run by a guy from
Huntington Beach I believe

[Edited on 3-11-2014 by sancho]

DavidE - 3-11-2014 at 12:13 PM

I espeak tantito Ingles in a month.

It's good practice for me. At home sometimes I'll go longer than a year sin Ingles.

But it is embarrassing to learn that spelling English and Speaking English involves different parts of the brain. I lapse into Spanish or make syntax errors that are frustrating. One year I went three months without benefit of the internet and utterly forget the definition of embudo. Or espejo.

watizname - 3-11-2014 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:

The Long Bar and Blue Fox. Wow. Killed some brain cells and learned some of the secrets of life at those two places. I'm not sure I appreciated Baja then though. :cool:

villafontana - 3-11-2014 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
I espeak tantito Ingles in a month.

It's good practice for me. At home sometimes I'll go longer than a year sin Ingles.

But it is embarrassing to learn that spelling English and Speaking English involves different parts of the brain. I lapse into Spanish or make syntax errors that are frustrating. One year I went three months without benefit of the internet and utterly forget the definition of embudo. Or espejo.

I can help u with the spanish, if u can help me the english David. Hehe

DavidE - 3-11-2014 at 12:43 PM

Yea, Spingrish, now that otta be a blast...

cocoscabana - 3-11-2014 at 12:44 PM

Baja...beautiful Baja...

We have a house in British Columbia, but consider Mulege home, as we are there for 6 months. Turning that last curve on Mex 1 and the vista of Mulege opens up in front of us, gives a warm, fuzzy feeling!!! When we walk through downtown, we interact with everyone we see, and many of the shopkeepers, etc are our friends. To us, it is more than just fishing, or camping, or getting away from the cold...Mulege is our home.

Baja Nomads helps us keep up to date on the goings on!!!

[Edited on 3-11-2014 by cocoscabana]

villafontana - 3-11-2014 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Yea, Spingrish, now that otta be a blast...

Bien dicho David!!! Jajaja

Rumple - 3-11-2014 at 12:57 PM

I often take living in Baja for granted. As with many, my first taste of Baja was a camping/RV trip. I had never been to Mexico and was definitely afraid of the unknown. That was about 19 years ago. It took us 2 years to make the move down and I hope NEVER to leave.
Thanks for reminding me of how lucky I am. I actually took a few minutes out of my work day to look at the view of the bay and Ensenada in the distance.

Bob53 - 3-11-2014 at 02:17 PM

I'm just here for all the cute guys.

DavidE - 3-11-2014 at 03:09 PM

VILLAFONTANA

ˇLa idea hizo de mí una gran sonrisa!

mtgoat666 - 3-11-2014 at 03:29 PM

I am here for the free food

villafontana - 3-11-2014 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
VILLAFONTANA

ˇLa idea hizo de mí una gran sonrisa!

yo creo que la idea no solo saco una gran sonrisa, sino tambien hizo una gran persona!!

DanO - 3-11-2014 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
I am here for the free food

There's free food?! I've been here since 2003 and no one has ever said anything about free food. I tell ya, heads are gonna roll . . . .

:fire:

villafontana - 3-11-2014 at 05:07 PM

hahahahahahahahaha...watch out Select Nomads,Platinum Nomad, and Honored Nomads!!! hahahahahahahaha

[Edited on 3-12-2014 by villafontana]

Udo - 3-11-2014 at 05:26 PM

BOB?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob53

Bob53 - 3-11-2014 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
BOB?

Quote:

:lol:

24baja - 3-11-2014 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
BOB?

Quote:

:lol:

Oh come on bob53......you and i both know you are the cutest guy here! You are the funnyman arn't you!:cool:

BajaBlanca - 3-11-2014 at 08:44 PM

I an here for many reasons, to share info, to get vital info, to make new friends and to be entertained BIG TIME.

We in our village are so remote and there are only 5 families (and not even then are they fulltimers) that I crave other human interaction and this is it.

It is wonderful to read about goings on in other parts of Baja and then to travel there because of reading about it here.

skipowell - 3-11-2014 at 09:13 PM

i like baja nomads for the trip reports as it has inspired us to take some fun excursions. I also appreciate the events that are shared as we have participated in several and the food reviews ( special thanks the gypsyjan as she shares in our neck of the woods) We have been fortunate to have meet many nomads along the way and love the baja life. San DIego is where we work but baja is where we play when we are not in Mammoth. keep on sharing

Kgryfon - 3-11-2014 at 09:17 PM

I am here to keep in touch with what is happening in Baja, since I plan to retire there is a few years! Plus, I generally like the info, the people, the humor, and sometimes the controversy on the forum. I hope to meet many of you some day!

freediverbrian - 3-11-2014 at 09:18 PM

I am here for good info , fishing, roads, history , BUT NOT for drama . No trolls

ViajeraGal - 3-11-2014 at 09:22 PM

I've been coming to Baja since 1978; bought my casa in Rosarito '82 as a weekend and get away from San Diego and then moved south to Los Barriles full time twenty years ago! periodically come up to Rosarito where I am now, to visit San Diego for a couple days (that's about all I can stand!), some shopping, etc.

I peruse BajaNomad for info on the road conditions and new happenings in Norte.............

Skipjack Joe - 3-11-2014 at 11:50 PM

When I'm not in baja I pretend to be ...

by reading trip reports.

BajaNomad - 3-11-2014 at 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
...what was the name of the Baja board before BN, run by a guy from Huntington Beach I believe

You're referring to Amigos de Baja (bajanet.com), run by Earle and Eric Robitaille, and Trish Ramsey:
http://www.bajanomad.com/bajanet/

A nod also to another early Baja/internet adopter, retired UCR professor Fred Metcalf - and his Baja California Information Pages - still available online at:
http://math.ucr.edu/ftm/baja.html

BTW... I see Earle still checks in here every once in a while, posting as recently as January 28, 2014. Many good wishes to the Robitailles.

:yes:

David K - 3-12-2014 at 12:00 AM

Thanks Doug, I haven't been on the thread since Sancho asked... and I was reading all the replies to see if anyone beat me to the answer... It was good to see Earle posting here still. I wonder how Eric is doing? I think I last some them was at Camp Gecko in 2005?

bajaemma - 3-12-2014 at 04:45 AM

Ditto Skipjack Joe and photos. Russ can help me start the day

Whale-ista - 3-12-2014 at 07:34 AM

1) source for useful information, helpful for planning Baja travel/living
2) humorous/thoughtful anecdotes about Baja life
3) great photos!

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I like this board because of the individuality of the members and the pioneer spirit many seem to have and a sense of independence. I also feel the need for up to date medical information to be shared to all because of the lack of consistency of medical plans between Mexico and the US.

David K - 12-3-2019 at 11:41 AM

Since we were mentioning Amigos de Baja and Earle and Eric... last seeing them in 2005... I saw and visited with Eric twice in 2017, at Loreto and on the road to San Javier. He sends me a question by email every so often, too.

Eric Robataille at Viva Baja IV, in 2003.