BajaNomad

Best off road hand held gps?

Bob53 - 3-21-2014 at 01:31 PM

Sorry if this has been covered in another thread but I'm lazy today and I'm looking to buy one asap. Let your opinions fly.

David K - 3-21-2014 at 01:39 PM

I always liked my Garmin eTrex (easy to use) and eTrex Legend (built in loadable maps)... but they are a dozen years old, so check what is out now.

Fun toys and are really great if you go hiking or off the map in your 4x4!

Pompano - 3-21-2014 at 01:41 PM

Bob, Garmin is very well respected in the gps community. I've used my model 76 for about 5 years now with great success...both on land and water. Cost me about $150 if memory serves me. Good luck.

rts551 - 3-21-2014 at 01:51 PM

Garmin 76 or 60csx. I have the 60 for exploring and a Nuvi in the car.

Better Baja maps for the handheld. look at all the handhelds and decide on features. I like the routing and tracking capabilities of the one I got.

DENNIS - 3-21-2014 at 02:50 PM

Here's another thread:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=70239#pid8576...

TMW - 3-21-2014 at 04:10 PM

A really cool thing about Garmin handhelds is that you can install BirdsEye high resolution satellite imagery. From the demo it looks like it's from Google Earth but you don't need a cell site to get it like an ipod would.

Udo - 3-21-2014 at 04:37 PM

My personal GPS in Baja is the Garmin 78SC, which I use as an off-road GPS as well as a marine GPS and chart plotter.

But my vehicle GPS is also a Garming, the 2555LMT, which now has a 16 gig memory card and I downloaded all Mexico roads on it. It's really cool...it works on it's own battery, or plug it in to the vehicle's cig. lighter plug. (My thanks to Bajaguy, Terry, for the tip and the link to buy it at a DEAL!)

rts551 - 3-21-2014 at 04:47 PM

I put the Mexico City Streets (Garmin map) on my Nuvi and am disappointed in its coverage of Baja.

I have the Topo map (which I moved over to the Nuvi) on my handheld and although outdated I like it.

Sweetwater - 3-21-2014 at 05:32 PM

Not sure what qualifies as "handheld". I've used a 60csx for several years on my moto. This past trip I stepped it up to a Montana 600 which is astounding by comparison. A good GPS is a very valuable tool to be sure.

motoged - 3-21-2014 at 05:37 PM

I use a Garmin 60CSx as has been mentioned by others. The Garmin Montana is gaining popularity (has a camera in it I just learned).

Garmin maps suck for Mexico/Baja.

THE map for Baja and Mainland Mexico is the E32 Cartographia map....download for about $100 can be updated....

http://www.cartografiagps.com/

Neal Johns - 3-24-2014 at 08:43 PM

Any mapping type Garmin will do, the bigger the screen, the more $$$ and a big screen works better with Sat maps. The Montana if you can afford it. Get great free US topo maps for handheld Garmin's at www.gpsfiledepot.com

Desertbull - 3-24-2014 at 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
Any mapping type Garmin will do, the bigger the screen, the more $$$ and a big screen works better with Sat maps. The Montana if you can afford it. Get great free US topo maps for handheld Garmin's at www.gpsfiledepot.com

you just like the bigger screen to get a better look at the Wives in Waiting photos…right:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

KasloKid - 3-25-2014 at 12:04 AM

Best off road hand held gps?
Depends on what off road equipment you're using. 4 wheel or dirt bike?
If you're riding a dirt bike and want to use a 12 volt power source, then pick one that has a 4 pin power input. The USB type connector type will eventually break off the circuit board due to bike vibration. A 4 wheel truck doesn't transmit the kind of vibration that a bike does. (Most guys like to have their unit plugged into 12 volt power cuz the handheld gps backlight stays on)

Neal Johns - 3-26-2014 at 06:40 PM

Desert Bull, You are soooo lucky I'm not your son-in-law, :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Neal - a man you can trust?

Hook - 3-27-2014 at 05:39 AM

I, too, own an old 60csx and a newer 3790 LMT.

The 3790 is fine for highway stuff in the US and Mexico. I'm on the mainland. Just very disappointed that it doesnt store "tracks" in a useable manner. You cant start a track and name it. Big disadvantage when going on dirt roads that arent on the map. You cant really save the track you just went on. But for street use, it's great.

I think about upgrading the 60csx.......but then I read the reviews on Amazon on newer units from Garmin and it always stops me. Their software just always seems to be going backwards; never intuitive, buggy firmware, inaccurate ocean charts, and their handheld "marine" units have many reports of moisture damage from simple splashes. Their website has always been unpleasant to navigate.

I wonder what's going on with Magellan's these days. I remember a time in the early days of land GPS's when I wondered how long Magellan would last in the face of Garmin's onslaught. I hope Magellan is still out there because Garmin continues to develop units that are going backwards.

Read some of the DETAILED reviews on the Montana. It's incredible that they can charge 600 bucks for software that poor.

I am still waiting to upgrade my 60csx. Really, my only complaint is that the screen is just too small for detailed topos. I've never had maps with contour intervals less that 200 feet. Not very useful when hiking. Do more detailed maps exist for the US? Please dont tell me it's a Garmin map...........:no:

Neal Johns - 3-27-2014 at 07:18 AM

Hook, www.gpsfiledepot.com has 24k topos state maps FREE for Garmins. Made by real people. 60's will never die!
Neal

Hook - 3-27-2014 at 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
60's will never die!
Neal

Thanks for the link, Neil.

And I'm anxiously awaiting an appropriate pic from willardguy for the above quote.........maybe something from San Francisco? :lol:

sdraul - 3-27-2014 at 07:25 AM

I have a 60csx also...when I was looking at the them the sales person at REI said she like the Magellan better because they use National Geographic topo maps. She said they were a better map...

sdraul - 3-27-2014 at 07:28 AM

I should also add I went with the 60csx because my friend said it was the same unit that his son used in the Army to site the big guns

sdraul - 3-27-2014 at 02:31 PM

GPS file of Baja:

http://www.cartografiagps.com/mape32/index.htm

All ready posted!!!

[Edited on 3-27-2014 by sdraul]

BooJumMan - 3-27-2014 at 03:20 PM

I have a Garmin 60csx as well. I have had it probably 10 years now. It does its job, tracks very well!

JZ - 4-16-2014 at 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sdraul
GPS file of Baja:

http://www.cartografiagps.com/mape32/index.htm

All ready posted!!!

[Edited on 3-27-2014 by sdraul]

Anyone use this? It looks really good.

JZ - 4-16-2014 at 02:43 PM

I use Navonics these days for boating on a Samsung Note 2. And have pretty much stopped using my Garmin.

Is there a phone app for off road use that accepts maps from Baja? Seems like this would be a much better route than paying Garmin $500 for a Montana.

[Edited on 4-16-2014 by JZ]

DawnPatrol - 4-16-2014 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
I use a Garmin 60CSx as has been mentioned by others. The Garmin Montana is gaining popularity (has a camera in it I just learned).

Garmin maps suck for Mexico/Baja.

THE map for Baja and Mainland Mexico is the E32 Cartographia map....download for about $100 can be updated....

http://www.cartografiagps.com/

yes I got the E32 map and its great

Bob53 - 11-29-2016 at 02:44 PM

Looks like the 60CSx has been discontinued, according to Amazon.

David K - 11-29-2016 at 03:01 PM

This thread is a couple years old Bob.
My Garmens are both over a dozen years old, and work!

Bob53 - 11-29-2016 at 03:26 PM

Yes, I know. I had not purchased one yet. I am ready to spend some $$$. Has anything changed? Any new ones I should look at?

David K - 11-29-2016 at 04:07 PM

I will email Neal Johns and see if he has been keeping up on the models. There are a ton of forums and web pages on GPS. Stand by!

mtgoat666 - 11-29-2016 at 04:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob53  
Yes, I know. I had not purchased one yet. I am ready to spend some $$$. Has anything changed? Any new ones I should look at?

Garmin "montana" is good for back country. Has a 4" screen
Garmin hardware is great. Their software is a bit lacking. Still, go with garmin.

If you want bigger screen, say ipad or iphone 6 (w/ or w/o remote gps antenna) go with trimble's app or the gaia gps app

rts551 - 11-29-2016 at 06:34 PM

Amazon still has them for sale used or through 3rd parties. The prices have gotten pretty high though. Guess they are hot items...I have one in pristine condition with the box, but I think I will keep it now.

Neal Johns - 11-29-2016 at 09:25 PM

Since my first recomendation is dead, my second choice is Garmin Oregon

Neal Johns - 11-29-2016 at 09:31 PM

However, if you want a bigger screen, then Montana.

Howard - 11-29-2016 at 11:45 PM

I went on line to look at the Garmin Montana and there are different models. I will be using this primarily on the water. Which one do you recommend?

ehall - 11-30-2016 at 04:23 AM

I use the oregon on my bike. Screen is too small. Should of bought the montana.

Warf - 11-30-2016 at 07:24 AM

I like the Delorme InReach.
GPS + communications + emergency rescue + bluetooth to my phone/tablet.
Also my wife/family/friends can track my location on the Delorme website.

pacificobob - 11-30-2016 at 07:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
I use the oregon on my bike. Screen is too small. Should of bought the montana.

a guy i ride with would sat exactly the same thing.

PaulW - 11-30-2016 at 08:32 AM

Bigger is always the choice, otherwise you need the thing to be mounted very close to your eyeballs. I like to read the printed place names.
I just scored a Lowrance Gen2 7M. A rare item and it works great.
Way to big for a Bike. I use a Montana for that purpose.

PaulW - 11-30-2016 at 08:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
I went on line to look at the Garmin Montana and there are different models. I will be using this primarily on the water. Which one do you recommend?

=====
For water use - not sure is a Montana would be the choice?. The boat guys with radar and sonar always use the expensive marine units. My good friend that has a small fishing boat here in Baja used a low cost gps and all he does is make waypoints for the places he favors. He has no need for road maps or making tracks like the units discussed above. As far as I know there are no marine maps for Baja anyway. About all you can get is a crude coast line depiction.
Having said the above a tracking/mapping gps like any version of a Montana will work fine on a boat. Yes, I am a fan of the Montana.

Howard - 11-30-2016 at 09:21 AM

Paul, thank for the reply. I have an older Lowrance gps/fish finder, etc. on my boat but also looking for a hand unit for navigation and way points.
I really like the idea of a large screen and that attracts me to the Montana.
Do you have a Montana model # in mind that you can recommend?

PaulW - 11-30-2016 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Paul, thank for the reply. I have an older Lowrance gps/fish finder, etc. on my boat but also looking for a hand unit for navigation and way points.
I really like the idea of a large screen and that attracts me to the Montana.
Do you have a Montana model # in mind that you can recommend?

======
U2U sent

Mulege Canuck - 12-1-2016 at 11:02 AM

I put the navionics app on my iPad. I use the sat map and plot my route through the bush ahead of time. Cheap and works well. Just make sure you have the GPS ipad model.

David K - 12-1-2016 at 11:14 AM

If there is a GPS/map app for Android (Smart Phones) that will work in Baja without a cell signal that has Google Earth or other topo maps (like the DeLorme unit uses), please let us know!

mtgoat666 - 12-1-2016 at 11:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
If there is a GPS/map app for Android (Smart Phones) that will work in Baja without a cell signal that has Google Earth or other topo maps (like the DeLorme unit uses), please let us know!

The trimble and gaia apps are good.
Sometimes phones, tablets get poor or disabled gps reception off cell grid, so add a blue tooth antenna