BajaNomad

No Pain Medication in Mexico.....

mmacdonald1026 - 6-25-2014 at 08:50 AM

It is unbelievable how difficult it is to get a prescription for a controlled substance in Tijuana/Rosarito. The laws here have changed recently and are way more stringent than in the US. And the cost of what the regular physicians can legally prescribe is off the charts. The doctors do not know how to prescribe medication either. So I paid the $30US in cash to see the doctor that is available even til 8pm on the weekends, showed him my US script that i needed refilled. For the second time and with a differnt doctor the same result occured. He will write you the prescription that he has to look up online how to spell. He has no clue what the dosages are and how many pills are in a bottle so expect to return back to the doctor with your prescription to have it modified once the pharmacist informs you how the script should be written. There are only two actual pharmacies in Rosarito called Roma and Gusher. Finally the prescription is corrected and being filled, which only takes a couple of minutes because there is not pilll counting just bottle distribution). At the register, be prepared to spend upwards of $75 for the same thing that costs $30 in the US and chances are you are also paying for a much lower dosage. There is a different name for every prescription medication in Mexico also that you must become aware of by doing your own online research or the doctor will look at you dumbfounded if you say something like suboxone, zanax, percodan, fentanyl. As a matter of fact, with a regular doctors prescription for such pain medications (controlled substances), which you will pay the $30US for him to write will not even fly at any type of pharmacy in Tijuana or Rosarito. You should call ahead to the pharmacies to find out if they have what you need in stock and what kind of doctor you need a prescription written from to get what you are prescribed in the US. Apparently you need to have a prescription from an anestheasiologist (sic) to get a pain killer including but not limited to vicodin. It makes no sense to me. And how is one supposed to do this? Get plastic surgery to get a prescription?? That is where my efforts stopped. I just moved to Rosarito thinking i would be paying less for everything, especially my medication, but what I have come to realize is that the only thing that I am saving money on is my rent, which is significant enough to stay. But my disability check cannot support me so now I understand why so many people have said that a retired couple can survive off of $2000 US a month. That does not mean a single person can survive on $1000 per month unless your rent is less than $350US per month perhaps. And that is possible to find, even on the beach. Dont do what I did and cancel your Medicare to get medical help in TJ/Rosarito unless all you ever get is a common cold. My misconception of moving to Mexico has resulted in my getting quite ill to no avail with a doctor's help, even at an expat clinic called Bonanova. Just want to let you know what you are getting yourself into if you require pain medication to feel well. The doctor's note from the US will do no good if you are trying to save money by buying bulk amounts of controlled substances for pain in Mexico. The most a regular doctor is legally allowed to prescribe for pain is Temgesic (Mexican name for Suboxone without Naloxone .02 of Bupenorphine in each sublingual pill, which is very expensive at $40US for 10 pills. You could need about a whole box for one day if you are accustomed to an 8mg Suboxone pill. Furthermore, only two boxes can be prescribed at a time with 10 pills in each. So if this is what you take in the US make sure you have a lot of money with you tell the doctor to write the prescription correctly so you can get more sooner than he may think. Or you can buy Tramadol 100mg for $77US for 100 pills, which is a non narcotic pain killer that has left me nauseated and feeling lowsy too. I realize that doctors deal with other issues aside from pain, but both you and they are helpless if you are hurting.

bajagrouper - 6-25-2014 at 09:07 AM

Yes,Mexico has changed the way folks can get certain types of medications because of abuse and using ingredients for illegal drugs...

Yes, Many folks assume it is cheaper to live in Mexico which is true for certain items but with a 4% yearly inflation rate many things go up every month like Pemex......suerte

chuckie - 6-25-2014 at 09:12 AM

Mexico is no longer cheap, for sure...I have my prescriptions filled at Walmart in the US, shipped by them to someone who is coming down. I have a sympathetic Doc. in the USA so I am able to get 1 or 2 years at a time...Lets not EVEN talk fuel costs....

Location, Location

durrelllrobert - 6-25-2014 at 09:15 AM

My son in-law drove down last Fri. from SD and went directly to Dr. in Maneadero that he has been going to. $20US to write Rx for 30 day supply (60 pills) of Vicodin . He dropped the Rx at the pharmacy next door that had to order it. Picked the 60 pills up the next day for a total cost of $60 US.

SFandH - 6-25-2014 at 09:25 AM

Or you can buy Tramadol 100mg for $77US for 100 pills.

I've bought Tramadol, 100 pills, 100 mg, for about $35 in both Mulege and TJ.

I've also bought anti-hypertension meds in Mex. MUCH cheaper.

bajaguy - 6-25-2014 at 09:35 AM

mmacdonald1026

Did you do any research on living expenses or cost comparisons before you moved here???

Don't know why you, or who, suggested that you cancel Medicare. San Diego is only 20 miles away.

Yours is an unfortunate example of why people should visit, research or spend some time in the area of Baja they are interested in BEFORE before they make the move

Good luck with the resolution to your problems

SFandH - 6-25-2014 at 09:44 AM

Cancel Medicare?? Huh? Real question. Is that possible?

EnsenadaDr - 6-25-2014 at 09:52 AM

Go see Dr. Raymundo Esquer in Maneadero, southern Ensenada, for all your narcotic pain medication needs. He has a controlled substance license and many Americans see him on a regular basis for pain control. Please start posting your healthcare questions in the Baja Health and Wellness category on this board thanks. By the way, the narcotics or controlled substances are much more expensive in Mexico.

[Edited on 6-25-2014 by EnsenadaDr]

bajabuddha - 6-25-2014 at 09:53 AM

I get my meds through the VA, and it's like pulling teeth to get advance scrip's through them, especially 'non-formulary', which means 'expensive, we won't buy them for you'. And narcotic pain scrip's? ONLY 30 days-worth at a time, no exceptions, period. So, I have to be a little inventive to get enough for the winter, or buy in Mexico (other than pain meds). Some meds are less expensive, others aren't, and some non-existent.

Key word is, "inventive". Good luck.

bajalearner - 6-25-2014 at 09:55 AM

More than unfortunate, I am sure it is devastating to not get the meds you need. Sorry for your pain. I hope you find the help you need.

chuckie - 6-25-2014 at 10:08 AM

I get the scrip from the VA, route them through my Doctor, fill em at Walmart..most items are like 6 bucks for 6 months....

bajabuddha - 6-25-2014 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I get the scrip from the VA, route them through my Doctor, fill em at Walmart..most items are like 6 bucks for 6 months....

Same here, Chuck. Just that I have to deal with our 'VA Liaison' at the local clinic; my Doc is fine with all of it, and very helpful... but I have to start the whole process at least 3 weeks in advance, and feel like a circus dog by the time i'm done, and inevitably something won't be correct no matter how many times I explain what I need and how much, etc. So, I end up at Diego's in Mulege, and he's great. Been able to manage so far, but each year it's a new scrip' and mo' BS/VA. That's what Corralejo is for though.
:lol:

bajalearner - 6-25-2014 at 10:35 AM

With all the bad press about the VA, I am sure there will be a few changes but I think it will just fade away with time and be the same there. Just like the other government operations. Goliaths with no brain and a place that does not care about it's employees or customers. ie, post office, dmv and on and on and on.

Lee - 6-25-2014 at 12:51 PM

Hope Vets living with pain are trying cannabis. Colorado has a program for Vets and the cannabis is free. Maybe California will follow suit.

http://www.grow4vets.org

bajabuddha - 6-25-2014 at 01:31 PM

Yeah, I know... they legalized it here in New Mexico for PTSD too, and just in time for me to get Asbestos disease... talked to a lung doc last week, and said, not a good idea. DAMNIT.

wessongroup - 6-25-2014 at 02:16 PM

"30 days-worth at a time" ... that one does create problems ... three months supply would make it a lot easier IMHO ... screw the FDA/VA/and a few more

Sweetwater - 6-25-2014 at 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Yeah, I know... they legalized it here in New Mexico for PTSD too, and just in time for me to get Asbestos disease... talked to a lung doc last week, and said, not a good idea. DAMNIT.

Smoking anything including pot is NOT good for anyones lungs, that's a well proven fact. But, there are other approaches which might include the vaporizer systems, some of which add humidity and don't have the harsh effects on your lungs. The other option is edibles which is an approach that might still work for you. You'll need to experiment with dosing that works for your symptoms but doesn't give you too many side effects. Don't ever give up on taking care of yourself and your conditions.

KurtG - 6-25-2014 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
"30 days-worth at a time" ... that one does create problems ... three months supply would make it a lot easier IMHO ... screw the FDA/VA/and a few more

My VA primary MD routinely writes my prescriptions for 90 day fills and I have a standing refill order for the year period in between clinic visits which I refill on the VA website. The meds are mailed to my home address in California. I have been very well served by my primary MD and the staff at the clinic in San Luis Obispo. The problems at VA are real and vets are suffering because while the patient base has been expanded the system funding has not been. The same congressjerks who filibustered the VA funding bill earlier this year now are holding hearings to find out who is at fault. They need only look in the mirror.

Are you a VA patient?

bajabuddha - 6-25-2014 at 03:42 PM

Sweetwater, I have the bestest Alice B. Toklas brownie recipe from the '60s that still works magic, and one of Tommy Chong's Bongs would be a help. Oh, what's a boy to do!!

And Kurt, the VA only gives out 30 days at a time for narcotic pain killers, or Xanax... any schedule (whatever-it-is) drug. And, I just received a letter today (form letter) from my Dear Congressman telling me how wrong the POTUS and his VA guy was, and how CONGRESS is gonna fix it. YEAH, RIGHT. The opposite of PROGRESS is CONGRESS. They hold our Country literally hostage for six years, and now want to sue the POTUS~!!!! It's all nucking futz. I need to go fishin'. After I have a martini and a brownie.
:coolup:

wessongroup - 6-25-2014 at 03:46 PM

"opposite of PROGRESS is CONGRESS"

Thanks a keeper :lol::lol:

and ya I was talking about Formula/Schedule one ... a nightmare I hear from my doctor on keeping "paper work" on file ... a drag on business to satisfy "Federal and/or State" requirements, on same

Gee, and I remember when getting drugs was easy ... :lol::lol:

punish all for a few ... gosh, just like basic

Had a mail service which as able to take care of it ... but, I wasn't down south ... km 44.5

[Edited on 6-25-2014 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 6-25-2014 by wessongroup]

durrelllrobert - 6-25-2014 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Go see Dr. Raymundo Esquer in Maneadero, southern Ensenada, for all your narcotic pain medication needs. He has a controlled substance license and many Americans see him on a regular basis for pain control. Please start posting your healthcare questions in the Baja Health and Wellness category on this board thanks. By the way, the narcotics or controlled substances are much more expensive in Mexico.

May not be PC but most of us around here call him Dr. Scary (because of the way he usually dresses).

EnsenadaDr - 6-25-2014 at 04:19 PM

What do you mean PC Bob? Dr. Raymundo is an excellent physician and is very knowledgeable and highly respected. He likes to show his physique off, and he normally will take his shirt off to bare his chest and show you he hasn't an ounce of fat on his abdomen. He does like wearing those 70's John Travolta outfits and he can get away with it, even if he is over 50!
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:

May not be PC but most of us around here call him Dr. Scary (because of the way he usually dresses).

durrelllrobert - 6-25-2014 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Sweetwater, I have the bestest Alice B. Toklas brownie recipe from the '60s that still works magic, and one of Tommy Chong's Bongs would be a help. Oh, what's a boy to do!!

And Kurt, the VA only gives out 30 days at a time for narcotic pain killers, or Xanax... any schedule (whatever-it-is) drug. And, I just received a letter today (form letter) from my Dear Congressman telling me how wrong the POTUS and his VA guy was, and how CONGRESS is gonna fix it. YEAH, RIGHT. The opposite of PROGRESS is CONGRESS. They hold our Country literally hostage for six years, and now want to sue the POTUS~!!!! It's all nucking futz. I need to go fishin'. After I have a martini and a brownie.
The Alice's restaurant in Arlo Guthrie's song is located on Skyline drive just off highway 84 between Los Altos and La Honda. It was named for Alice M. Brock, the orginal owner.

SFandH - 6-25-2014 at 04:30 PM

Quote:

Um, that would be Dr. Escary, right?

So let me see if I have this pictured correctly. A bunch of retired gringos, some with gray haired pony tails, some with beer bellies, some dressed in clothes bought at the local street stand, some in shorts and thongs with faded military tatoos go to a buffed out old Mexican doctor dressed in 70s polyester disco dance club outfits to buy narcotics?

Photos please! :spingrin:

durrelllrobert - 6-25-2014 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
What do you mean PC Bob? Dr. Raymundo is an excellent physician and is very knowledgeable and highly respected. He likes to show his physique off, and he normally will take his shirt off to bare his chest and show you he hasn't an ounce of fat on his abdomen. He does like wearing those 70's John Travolta outfits and he can get away with it, even if he is over 50!
Quote:
Quote:

?Well, in some quarters it would not be Politically Correct to refer to an excellent, very knowledgeable and highly respected physician by a descriptive term based on the scary way he dresses. Of course, in Orange County where PC was invented, you would never walk into a Doctors office and be greeted by someone not wearing a shirt and with skin tight pink pants.

Bajahowodd - 6-25-2014 at 04:47 PM

Quote:

Edibles. Your answer.

Bajahowodd - 6-25-2014 at 04:52 PM

The overriding reason for Mexico's changes in the over the counter drug consumption had nothing to do with pain killers or the drug wars. They finally woke up the huge abuse of antibiotics.

As you may well know, frequent use of antibiotics will lead to them no longer working in your body.

Historically, Mexicans ran to the farmacia for penicillin and Z-pac or whatever, whenever they felt a sore throat or had the sniffles. The results of this massive overuse was especially dangerous for young children.

I applaud te Mexican government for putting an end to such abuse.

bajabuddha - 6-25-2014 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
The overriding reason for Mexico's changes in the over the counter drug consumption had nothing to do with pain killers or the drug wars. They finally woke up the huge abuse of antibiotics.

As you may well know, frequent use of antibiotics will lead to them no longer working in your body.

Historically, Mexicans ran to the farmacia for penicillin and Z-pac or whatever, whenever they felt a sore throat or had the sniffles. The results of this massive overuse was especially dangerous for young children.

HORSE-HOCKEY. Antibiotics are still totally readily available in Baja Sur in any pharmacia, any kind, any dosage, no scrip. Sowwy, Hawood.

bajabuddha - 6-25-2014 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:

So let me see if I have this pictured correctly. A bunch of retired gringos, some with gray haired pony tails, some with beer bellies, some dressed in clothes bought at the local street stand, some in shorts and thongs with faded military tatoos go to a buffed out old Mexican doctor dressed in 70s polyester disco dance club outfits to buy narcotics?

Aw, geez!! I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK !! :cool: :bounce:

KurtG - 6-25-2014 at 07:31 PM

Quote:

You're correct in that none of my drugs are pain meds. On that subject, last year after my heart surgery my surgeon, cardiologist and primary MD each asked me if I needed pain med. I could have hoarded quite a supply but only accepted enough to get me through the first couple of weeks.

bajabuddha - 6-25-2014 at 10:16 PM

Kurt, I have to be creative. BTW, I have 5 stents AND a collateral I grew on my own, so no zipper yet; but do have a compression fractured spine that makes fishin' a little tougher than it used to. Good going with your new tubes; ENJOY, and rip some lips !!

mtgoat666 - 6-25-2014 at 10:54 PM

Quote:

Always good to know which docs are freely writing Rx for oxy!

Licensed Pusher man!

Every town has one, or 2, or 3,...

EnsenadaDr - 6-26-2014 at 07:22 AM

I thought your PC was short for Pain Control, but didn't think I was correct. He's cool, Dr. Esquer. We all must be tolerant of differences in personalities and individuality.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

?Well, in some quarters it would not be Politically Correct to refer to an excellent, very knowledgeable and highly respected physician by a descriptive term based on the scary way he dresses. Of course, in Orange County where PC was invented, you would never walk into a Doctors office and be greeted by someone not wearing a shirt and with skin tight pink pants.

EnsenadaDr - 6-26-2014 at 07:25 AM

No he isn't a pusher for sure. I myself have never gotten pain medication from him or any other physician in Mexico, and only for two dental procedures in the States about 5 years apart. I have very bad nausea if I take vicodin or any other opioid medication. I did have an ER physician offer me Vicodin at Grossmont Hospital over 10 years ago for a urinary tract infection, but I told him I didn't want it due to the side effects.
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

Always good to know which docs are freely writing Rx for oxy!

Licensed Pusher man!

Every town has one, or 2, or 3,...

EnsenadaDr - 6-26-2014 at 07:29 AM

He's not scary at all. He's a very compassionate man and very friendly. He could be classified as offbeat, but who cares? Take a selfie and post it and I'd like to see it! Would you say you look any better than Dr. Esquer or some of the gringos that are his patients? He is there to serve the community. His clientele is largely Mexicans and SOME Americans.
Quote:
Quote:

mulegemichael - 6-26-2014 at 08:33 AM

for my chronic, and i mean chronic back pain, i make a pot tincture that is very helpful in taking away the pain...a few drops under the tongue and the pain subsides...consider it as it REALLY works!

SFandH - 6-26-2014 at 08:40 AM

Quote:
He's not scary at all. He's a very compassionate man and very friendly. He could be classified as offbeat, but who cares? Take a selfie and post it and I'd like to see it! Would you say you look any better than Dr. Esquer or some of the gringos that are his patients? He is there to serve the community. His clientele is largely Mexicans and SOME Americans.
Quote:
Quote:

Doc, lighten up. My post was an attempt at humor, which I assume most people understood.

[Edited on 6-26-2014 by SFandH]

bajabuddha - 6-26-2014 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Doc, lighten up. My post was an attempt at humor, which I assume most people understood.

[Edited on 6-26-2014 by SFandH]

Too late, SFH. Prerequisite to starting Med School; out-patient surgery to remove the Funny Bone.
:lol: :o :yes:

Bajahowodd - 6-26-2014 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

HORSE-HOCKEY. Antibiotics are still totally readily available in Baja Sur in any pharmacia, any kind, any dosage, no scrip. Sowwy, Hawood.

All I can say is that anyone buying antibiotics at a local farmacia should really beware of what they are getting.

The Mexican government absolutely made antibiotics controlled for the reasons I mentioned.

So, if you walk into some storefront farmacia, you will really not be getting what you think you are buying.

Buddha guy, try and go into a Walmart or a Costco, or any major store and buy antibiotics over the counter.

bajabuddha - 6-26-2014 at 05:18 PM

Hawood, I was an EMT, I do know the last resort is antibiotics, and even in the U.S. antibiotic PRESCRIPTIONS are at an all-time dangerous high, so preach to the doctors. I was stating fact, they're still readily available at all Mexican farmacias.... the Mex. Gov't busted pain meds, not Keflex. Tha's all, dude.

mulegemichael - 6-26-2014 at 07:33 PM

again....if we not stray from what we are talking about, pain meds ARE available in mexico....i get my tramadol from diego at the pharmacy in mulege just across the street from el candil, OR, as most folks know it as, SCOTTIES bar and restaurant....diego is honest, firm, and knows his stuff..

Lee - 6-27-2014 at 08:21 AM

Quote:

Talk to someone who knows what vaporizing is. Think that's what was being addressed -- smoke harmful, vapor no. If there's no pain, then moot point. Sorry to hear about asbestos. That sucks.

Ateo - 6-27-2014 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

Talk to someone who knows what vaporizing is. Think that's what was being addressed -- smoke harmful, vapor no. If there's no pain, then moot point. Sorry to hear about asbestos. That sucks.

There's a ton of edible forms you can ingest as well. Plenty of options. ;)

[Edited on 6-27-2014 by Ateo]

bajabuddha - 6-27-2014 at 08:35 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_B._Toklas

Thanks for the pic about 'Alice's Restaurant' and Arlo Guthrie's rambling ode to himself and arrest for "LITTERING.... AND CREATING A NUICANCE".

My fudge brownie recipe is still descended (in theory and heart) from Alice B. Tolkas, who (as Wiki states) made her "HASCHICH FUDGE'' recipe published in 1954!! Too cool, you go gurl !!
:wow:

[Edited on 6-27-2014 by bajabuddha]

Bajahowodd - 6-27-2014 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Hawood, I was an EMT, I do know the last resort is antibiotics, and even in the U.S. antibiotic PRESCRIPTIONS are at an all-time dangerous high, so preach to the doctors. I was stating fact, they're still readily available at all Mexican farmacias.... the Mex. Gov't busted pain meds, not Keflex. Tha's all, dude.

Available in the storefront places that have little or no responsibility as to their source or their efficacy. That's all I'm saying.

The fact that you resist the idea that the Mexican government cracked down on OTC antibiotics, astounds me. They did.

bajabuddha - 6-27-2014 at 05:31 PM

The fact you can't or won't read plain English astounds me, Oh Scholar. Just when did this 'crackdown' happen? In the last 3 months??? That's the last time I bought Keflex for a friend....

Mute point methinks.

mulegemichael - 6-27-2014 at 07:49 PM

ewwwwww!...CATFIGHT!....and look how similar their "handles" are??!

Bajahowodd - 6-28-2014 at 04:50 PM

Maybe you ought to look at the news. Just sayin'.

Feathers - 6-28-2014 at 06:16 PM

Quote:

Why must you smoke it?

and for those of us that can't read spanish...

durrelllrobert - 6-29-2014 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
The fact you can't or won't read plain English astounds me, Oh Scholar. Just when did this 'crackdown' happen?
May 27, 2010, for those that were paying attention.

Some pharmacies apparently don't care, guess enforcement is still lax.

...here is the SpanishDirect translation:

DOF: 27/05/2010 agreement by which determine the guidelines to which shall be subject the sale and dispensing of antibiotics.Outside a seal with the coat of arms, which says: United States Mexicans-Secretary of Salud.JOSE ANGEL CORDOVA VILLALOBOS, Secretary of health, based on the provisions of articles 73, fraction XVI, base 2a. the political Constitution of the Mexican United States; 3, fraction 17TH, 13, subsection A, section X, 134 fraction II, 139 fraction VIII, 147, 181, 226 and 227 of the General Health Act; 39 of the organic law of the Federal public administration; 28, 29 and 30 of the regulation of inputs for health; 6-7 fraction XVI of the Interior regulation of the Ministry of health; yCONSIDERANDOQue the State has an obligation to enact the General measures aimed at ensuring the right to the protection of health, which are inside, those oriented to avoid the exposure of the population to health risks;That the epidemic of influenza A (H1N1), has highlighted the seriousness of the consequences of the selfprescription with antibiotics in our country;That in many cases of influenza is it complicated due to a medical diagnosis late, caused in part because a large proportion of the patients first went to pharmacies seeking to resolve his symptoms and there were treated with antibiotics without a prescription, which are useless for viral infections like influenza;Antibiotics are considered as a global public good. As a result, the World Health Organization has urged each of the Member States to undertake a national strategy to improve the use of antibiotics and contain bacterial resistance, suggesting different educational actions, regulatory and management;In Mexico, antibiotics are among drugs that most consumed, representing second place in sales of pharmacies nationwide. Some of the problems that relate to this high consumption are: the selfprescription of antibiotics and its improper dispensing in pharmacies;That between 70% and 80% of the recommendations that pharmacy employees give their customers with pictures of acute respiratory and diarrhoeal infections, include antibiotics prescribed inappropriately in type, dose and duration of prescription and without taking into account the nature of the condition;To highlight the consequences of this high consumption of antibiotics in the country, is important to mention that the majority of reports of adverse reactions to drugs, 40% in the Mexican population, are attributed to the consumption of antibiotics;That similarly growing bacterial resistance in pathogenic causes of Inhospital and community infections, is has been well documented in the scientific literature in Mexico, for example: regional surveillance networks estimated that the national rate of resistance to penicillin of streptococcus pneumoniae, community infection-causing bacteria such as pneumonia and meningitis, is serious about 55%, figure higher than other countries in Latin America as: Argentina and Brazil. Many hospital germs are Multiresistant to antibiotics that are endangering the lives of hospitalized patients who enter for any reason and that are infected by these germs;Several studies conclude that between 40 and 60% of antibiotics sold without a prescription;It is important that antibiotics may be provided only under medical prescription, in order to avoid the selfprescription and the generation of the effectiveness of drug-resistant bacterial strains;That on the basis of that, the protection of health is a human right guaranteed by the Constitution, where the society and the State have an obligation to ensure the protection of this right, taking into consideration that the antibiotics selfprescription constitutes a public health problem;In this order of ideas, and in order to implement measures of protection and control of the outbreak of influenza A (H1N1) and other adverse reactions that generates self prescription of antibiotics in our country, it is necessary to issue an agreement allowing deployed as provided by law to only be administered antibiotics when they are prescribed with a prescription issued by health professionals authorized by lawin order to control its use and abuse and limit the negative consequences of inappropriate prescribing and contribute to safeguarding the health of Mexicans, have seen fit to issue the following: agreement by which is determine the guidelines which will be holding LAVENTA and DISPENSATION of ANTIBIOTICOSPRIMERO.-to provisions in articles 226 the fraction IV and last paragraph and227 of the General health law, sale and dispensing of antibiotics should carry out exclusively against the display of the corresponding medical prescription, which must be drawn up in accordance with articles 31 and 32 of the regulation of inputs for health, in accordance with the following provisions: I.-when in the case of generic drugs must enter the generic name andIf you wish, you can indicate your preference distinctive name; II.-in all other cases may express the distinctive denomination or jointly designations generic and distinctive, yIII-prescription in public institutions shall conform to that in each one of them is designated must be used in all cases only the generic denominations of antibiotics included in the basic box of supplies for the first level of care or in the catalogue of inputs for the second and third level. By exception, and with the authorization corresponding, other antibiotics may be prescribed.The above regardless of other applicable provisions must be observed.SECOND.-in effect ensure the provisions of the preceding paragraph, any establishment that sells or dispense antibiotics retail users and the public in general, should: I. Take a register in which all are seated and each of the following information: a. date of adquisicionb. the date of sale, dispensation or disposal of the antibioticoc. the distinctive denomination of the antibiotic he concerned and/or generic name in case necesariod. the presentation of the antibioticoe. the quantity purchased, sold, dispensed or desechadaf. name that prescribes the recipe, number of professional identity and place of residence, this will apply when it is no longer retained the recipe, in the case of retention of the same, do without these three data but shall refer to the retained recipe, using a consecutive number which correlate the log and the recipe respectiva.II. All retained recipe and their corresponding registration shall be kept for a period of 365 days.III. whenever the antibiotic dispensed must be sealed the recipe indicating therein the quantity sold and the date of the sale. At the time of exhaustion the amount of antibiotics prescribed, the recipe be retained by the establishment, yIV. Recipe must only be filled within the time duration of the indicated treatment as required by article 30 of the regulation of inputs to the Salud.TERCERO.-the Federal Commission for protection against health risks, will publish and keep updated the list of antibiotics by generic denomination, or distinctive and generic, they will be subject to this control, for public consultation in its electronic Internet.CUARTO.-portal instructs the Federal Commission for protection against health risks, so in coordination with the health authorities of federal entities and the scope of their respective competencies, to carry out surveillance of the provisions laid down in the present Acuerdo.TRANSITORIOUNICO. This agreement shall enter into force 90 days after its publication in the official journal of the Federacion.en Mexico, Federal District, the seventeenth day of the month of may of two thousand ten.-the Secretary of health José Angel Córdova Villalobos-Rúbrica.

Bajahowodd - 6-29-2014 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
The fact you can't or won't read plain English astounds me, Oh Scholar. Just when did this 'crackdown' happen? In the last 3 months??? That's the last time I bought Keflex for a friend....

Mute point methinks.

I think you were struggling for the word moot.

Dr. Esquer

SuiGeneris - 4-16-2015 at 12:14 PM

Hello Dr.
Do you know if Dr. Esquer will treat my wife's migraines...we're in the ER right now and need to find a doctor who will prescribe her pain medication that works...
Thank you!

Quote: Originally posted by EnsenadaDr  

Cisco - 4-16-2015 at 03:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SuiGeneris  
Hello Dr.
Do you know if Dr. Esquer will treat my wife's migraines...we're in the ER right now and need to find a doctor who will prescribe her pain medication that works...
Thank you!

Quote: Originally posted by EnsenadaDr  

Going back a few years but Tonapan, a cafergot that was not available in U.S. worked fine for her and she had frequent, horrible migraines.

She asked her U.S. Dr. about it when we returned and he said O.K.

There are side effects if your wife is taking protease inhibitors or macrolide antibiotics so check with Dr. on that.

That was the ONLY med that ever worked for her body chemistry and it was a lifesaver.

Sorry for the pain your lady is experiencing, I am aware that it is excruciating.

ON EDIT: Tonopan was OTC in Sahuayo at that. Don't know about now.

[Edited on 4-16-2015 by Cisco]

Cisco - 4-16-2015 at 03:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_B._Toklas

Thanks for the pic about 'Alice's Restaurant' and Arlo Guthrie's rambling ode to himself and arrest for "LITTERING.... AND CREATING A NUICANCE".

My fudge brownie recipe is still descended (in theory and heart) from Alice B. Tolkas, who (as Wiki states) made her "HASCHICH FUDGE'' recipe published in 1954!! Too cool, you go gurl !!
:wow:

[Edited on 6-27-2014 by bajabuddha]

OMG! You mean she and Gertrude would get high and make out?

SHAMEFUL!

Interestingly she and Gertrude had German soldiers change a tire for them in the south of France during the war. They were never detected as Jews.

Yes, I have her cookbook also.

BB there is a sub-lingual oil that does not contain THC which may help you. It is a derivative and used more for depression but good for pain also.

Very good anti-depressant I am told.

Later...

EnsenadaDr - 4-17-2015 at 05:27 PM

Ah back on the subject of Dr. Esquer.....first of all, SuiGeneris, what ER are you in? The drug of choice in Mexico anyway for migraine headaches is Imitrex, generic sumatriptan but I have had patients tell me that it is ineffective. I am sure, being the good doctor that Dr. Esquer is, he will not just start writing for narcotics. He like many good doctors will take a history and physical, and find out which medications work for the patient and which won't. I am sure he will find the right medication for your wife, take a trip to Maneadero and see him.

[Edited on 4-18-2015 by EnsenadaDr]

BajaBlanca - 4-17-2015 at 09:12 PM

even if you cancelled medicare -surely you can get it back?

best of luck to the migraine lady -I had a couple when I started menopause....talk about pain! My gosh.

pain meds

captkw - 4-18-2015 at 12:55 PM

Contary to popular belief, getting pain meds in mex is a b-tch !! few docters have the special stamp (sello) and few pharmas have the drugs..I went fron guatamala up to texas with flesh eating disease (Thanks Costa Rica) and had a mex script after many days of BS and then to find VERY few pharmacias had Valum,let alone Vics

wessongroup - 4-18-2015 at 01:37 PM

Was lucky ... we were at 44.5 km ... and was able to use a mail service the entire time and was able to buy without a prescreption .. Hydrocodone ... Xanax ...

Only concern, was quality control of the "manufacture" :biggrin::biggrin: ... which in this case, was just fine

Stayed with med's from stateside ... for that reason

Good luck to those that need it ... As it does become part of some's life ... until ___________

[Edited on 4-18-2015 by wessongroup]

SuiGeneris - 4-20-2015 at 01:05 PM

Thanks to all of your help for my wife! She's had migraines since childhood and has tried just about every treatment out there including Chiropractic (who ended up breaking her neck). We have been together eight years now and I see the suffering which breaks my heart. Her doctor was prescribing Vicodin which helped if caught in time and then we moved so now having trouble finding a doctor to prescribe them.

Hi EnsenadaDr, the ER was Sharp Chula Vista which gave her Morphine IV which did not help and then Diluadid which finally brought on some relief. She was screaming in agony and the ER doctor discharged her with a script for 8 (eight) Percocets? I'm seeking a doctor who will treat her condition seriously and not push meds that have failed in the past (such as Imitrex). She's fifty now and deserves more quality of life - In Gratitude, SuiGeneris

karenintx - 4-20-2015 at 02:36 PM

My friend has suffered from severe migraines most of her life too. She now receives Botox injections in her scalp every three months. The injections are approved and covered by her health insurance. She said it has been a life saver.

Maybe your wife could find a doctor that specializes in this.

Good Luck.

BajaBlanca - 4-21-2015 at 04:51 AM

and today I read this on the pony express:

Got Drugs? From the Clark Howard Podcast, he was shopping for best prices for a common antibiotic. The prices varied from $1.87 to $87 for the exact same drug. The cheapest was Costco with a 14% markup. You do not have to be a Costco Member to shop at their pharmacy.