BajaNomad

Punta San Jose killing

Bajamatic - 7-25-2014 at 04:03 PM

Can anyone confirm a story I just heard about gunmen storming the point at Pt Joe and wreaking havoc? Maybe shooting someone?

Ateo - 7-25-2014 at 04:08 PM

Where did you hear this?

Bajamatic - 7-25-2014 at 04:11 PM

word of mouth - friend of a friend. Albeit a usually very dependable source, I'm skeptical.....

shari - 7-25-2014 at 04:12 PM

where is Pta.San Jose?

Ateo - 7-25-2014 at 04:13 PM

Pta. San Jose is north of Punta Cabras. Southwest of Santo Tomas. Northern Baja. Just south of Ensenada.

[Edited on 7-25-2014 by Ateo]

Bajamatic - 7-25-2014 at 04:15 PM

cue David K....

Taco de Baja - 7-25-2014 at 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
where is Pta.San Jose?

Hopefully not the same place as "Faro San Jose" which is west of Cataviña.... Ill be there in 2 weeks. Those "San Jose" guys are nice.

Bajamatic - 7-25-2014 at 04:34 PM

not the same place, but the guy at pt. joe (west of Santo Tomas) is also nice - I really hope this isn't true.

bigzaggin - 7-25-2014 at 04:45 PM

The story as it was told to me is that Victor - the man who for years has overseen the bluff at Punta Santa Jose (Pt.Joe, The Lighthouse) - was shot and killed. Several cars were stolen and several others burned. It would be a very odd rumor to start for no reason. Pt. Joe has been crowded for years. It would essentially be like trying to scare people away from Rincon.

But no evidence online is very odd. And just to be 3x sure, this is the Punta San Jose west of Santo Tomas, N or Erindira.

I had been going down there since I was in high school, but not much over the past 10 years or so. Victor was a good dude. Hope it's not true.

Anyone?

[Edited on 7-25-2014 by bigzaggin]

Bajahowodd - 7-25-2014 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajamatic
cue David K....

Naw. Word is that he's in the garage shining his shoes.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

bigzaggin - 7-25-2014 at 04:58 PM

Bajamatic - check your U2U.

David K - 7-25-2014 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajamatic
cue David K....

Naw. Word is that he's in the garage shining his shoes.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

What does that even mean?

I was working all day with my son, In Oceanside and Vista today.

Someone need a map of the Punta San José just south of Ensenada?

woody with a view - 7-25-2014 at 06:37 PM

we passed on that spot 25+ years ago.....

[Edited on 7-26-2014 by woody with a view]

Bajamatic - 7-25-2014 at 08:17 PM

It's been years since I've been there, but I spent many a weekend fostering my baja addiction at point joe when I could legally drive. Victor, the owner of the land, was a very hospitable and friendly guy. I am very sad to hear multiple reports now the he we was shot.

The story as I hear it is that a bandito came into the campground in a stolen vehicle sometime just before the 4th of july. He held a few people at gunpoint, robbed them, set his arrival vehicle on fire, and took one of theirs to escape. Not sure how Victor became involved, but reports are that he died. The thieves were apprehended by the cops a few hours later in the stolen truck.

Very sad.

DianaT - 7-25-2014 at 08:50 PM

That is very sad --- sounds like he was a good man. :no::no:

willardguy - 7-25-2014 at 08:52 PM

so this was the same guy in the stolen tundra from the 30 cop cars heading toward la bufadora thread, same day?

Maderita - 7-26-2014 at 12:55 AM

My friends were victims of the robber, and sent me a detailed report on July 7.
Bajamatic has it right, except for the part about Victor. The report said that he had been killed in February, in a land dispute.

The robber fired several shots from a shotgun to intimidate and to disable other vehicles. The police apprehended him, and the stolen truck was returned to the owner.

Yes, Punta San José, west of Santo Tomás by 26 miles (driving distance).

Maderita - 7-26-2014 at 01:03 AM

Bajamatic,
No need to be skeptical. It is a credible report. My friend has been surfing there regularly for 27 years. I suggested to him that he post on Bajanomad. Will forward this link to him, which might motivate him to post up. That is, if he's not down there surfing again!

chippy - 7-26-2014 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
we passed on that spot 25+ years ago.....

[Edited on 7-26-2014 by woody with a view]

About the same time you passed on excersize ball o grassa. What a goon.

[Edited on 7-27-2014 by chippy]

woody with a view - 7-26-2014 at 06:00 PM

goon's are where you find them......

[Edited on 7-27-2014 by woody with a view]

norte - 7-26-2014 at 07:45 PM

Another good reason not to go to this high risk country. everyone be careful.

bajaguy - 7-26-2014 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte

Safer than Chicago

BooJumMan - 7-26-2014 at 10:48 PM

Wow this is pretty heavy news. I am shocked.

norte - 7-27-2014 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:

Safer than Chicago

dead is dead...in either place! I wouldn't vacation in Chicago either.

micah202 - 7-27-2014 at 08:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Safer than Chicago

.......enjoy your couch!! :(:(

bledito - 7-27-2014 at 09:25 AM

I live in Chicago. I have worked on the streets in all the neighborhoods in Chicago. While there are some that I am not comfortable in for the most part it is the gangs killing each other and sometimes the innocent person or persons in the area. The northwest side of chicago is a great area and the lakefront and veiws are fantastic. I guess you could relate that to what goes on in the border areas of Mexico. drug and gang activities in any place causes death.

Mexitron - 7-27-2014 at 09:59 AM

Wow, how sad.....I think it was Victor who helped us figure out what was wrong with our truck when we were out there years ago...truck wouldn't start, couldn't figure out what was wrong---so we had a towstrap and had it hooked up to our other truck and were just heading back out to Santo Thomas when he drove up and asked what was wrong---he said to open the hood and check the fuses---sure as s--t one of the fuses had blown.....stupid gringoes forgot to check the fuses! Thanks Victor.

[Edited on 7-27-2014 by Mexitron]

norte - 7-27-2014 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Safer than Chicago

Plenty of stuff to do in the US. I used to go to Mexico but realized spending my dollars in America is good for the American economy without the risk and inconvenience of a third world country. I feel sorry for you if you think that there is nothing else in the US but your couch.

monoloco - 7-27-2014 at 02:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Safer than Chicago

Plenty of stuff to do in the US. I used to go to Mexico but realized spending my dollars in America is good for the American economy without the risk and inconvenience of a third world country. I feel sorry for you if you think that there is nothing else in the US but your couch.
Just curious, why do you hang out on a Baja travel forum if you have no intention of going there because you believe it's too dangerous?

norte - 7-27-2014 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Safer than Chicago

Just curious, why do you hang out on a Baja travel forum if you have no intention of going there because you believe it's too dangerous?

I like staying informed, although it is kinda hard to wind through the ....... on this forum

Chupacabra - 7-28-2014 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maderita
My friends were victims of the robber, and sent me a detailed report on July 7.

I was there on July 6-7. Several of the fishermen had their families and kids there for Sunday BBQ and playtime. I spoke with some of them and nobody mentioned anything about this. There were also several other campers who had been there all week, no mention of any major shootout or carjacking.

My assumption is that if there was any danger the fisherman would not have their families out for Sunday BBQ, and any incident would have been a major topic of conversation.

I don't know about Victor's status because I don't camp on his land. I camp north of the lighthouse. I did see him in March so reports of his death in February may be premature...

Chupacabra - 7-29-2014 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
Another good reason not to go to this high risk country.

You sound like a frightened little man. ;D

brewer - 7-30-2014 at 04:19 PM

Can anyone confirm that Victor is dead? And if so, by gunshot? I hope not.

He is one of the nicest people I know down there.

Garrapata - 9-25-2014 at 11:11 PM

I was down at Punta San Jose a couple weeks back and talked to the fishermen on the point. I had read the original post with some disbelief. I asked how Victor had been and they said that he had indeed been shot and killed. I thought it would be worth sharing as Victor had been such a friendly and helpful guy over the years. RIP

Unrelated was the theft of a truck with a camper shell from the point in July. The fishermen said that the truck was recovered and that everything has been fairly mellow since.

I did notice that the outhouses/trash have not been tended to and there is a "propiedad privada" sign where everyone camps.

landyacht318 - 9-26-2014 at 12:31 AM

Dismayed to hear about Victor. I only know the word 'Miel' and its correct pronunciation from when I made him some Tea and honey back in '02.

That same trip,there was a pretty good south running, and this bigger multi engined Panga pulled into the cove. One of the guys came by, and instead of selling Camerones as I expected, he was selling Crystal.

I was completely ignorant of crystal at the time, and gave this guy some aluminum foil and was totally perplexed watching him smoke it. His eyes went all crazy and he wanted to hang out and party and was leering disgustingly at the females in a nearby camp. I indicated I was leaving, and started packing up, totally paranoid and uneasy.

He eventually wandered off, back to the cove and I saw the multiengined panga leave and I stayed till the swell died.

BooJumMan - 9-26-2014 at 11:33 AM

Thanks for confirming and posting about it Garrapata.

Were there any campers/surfers? The private property sign... was that inferring that camping is not allowed anymore?

Garrapata - 9-27-2014 at 08:12 AM

BooJumMan...the sign was on the bluff just south of where most people camp.
It read:
Rancho la "Mona"
Propiedad privada
Propietario: Armando
Mesa Villarino

But there were 4-5 camps set up in the normal spots and we camped on the bluff as well where we usually do. I don't think the intention is to keep people off the property.