BajaNomad

Baja Spare Tire Question

Ateo - 7-25-2014 at 06:09 PM

Maņana I'm getting 4 new BFG tires for my truck, gearing up for Baja.

My spare underneath is a smaller size.

I will be changing out LT285's with more LT285's.

The spare below is smaller at LT255.

In your experience, is it better to keep an old tire as the spare that is the same size (LT285) or keep the brand new spare tire that's a LT255?

My guess is keep the new smaller tire, because it has more tread.

Total random post.

Comments?

David K - 7-25-2014 at 06:29 PM

4WD vs 2WD? (I think I know, but it is an important bit of info.)

Is the new tire size more than 1" taller than the spare? If not I would not worry, if it was my truck (I am running 1" taller than stock and spare size). However, I almost never need to use my spare, or haven't... Always could plug the hole until I got it patched.

If you get a flat, will you need 4WD before fixing it?

[Edited on 7-26-2014 by David K]

bajaguy - 7-25-2014 at 06:33 PM

Get rid of the smaller spare.

Buy a second rim.

Save the two best tires you are replacing and have them mounted on the two rims.

Now you have an extra spare

liknbaja127 - 7-25-2014 at 06:53 PM

Ateo, we carry the stock spare under the truck. And we also have a spare that
Match's the larger tires that we carry in the back. You can always run the smaller tire on the front, But not a good idea on the back, So I have been told. But with the BFG's you won't have any problems! Sorry David, they are good tires.

David K - 7-25-2014 at 06:59 PM

Maybe for some... there sure are lot that don't do well, speaking from personal experience.

Perhaps if they were cheaper than others, or didn't always get sidewall blowouts, I would be charmed as much as some of you by them?

But, they are not cheap nor fail-proof... so why the heavy devotion? Anyway, this discussing isn't helping Jon with an answer.

woody with a view - 7-25-2014 at 07:00 PM

i have a second spare that rides inside for those trips "out there"!!! to keep your drivetrain running smoove you should ALWAYS run tires of the same size on each axle. if you are in 4x4 it is even more critical.

the slight differences in diameters will bind your driveline and, ultimately, lead to failure...... YMMV!

David K - 7-25-2014 at 07:04 PM

4WD with a transfer case (not a full time or AWD system) needs to have front and rear tires be the same diameter.

2WD, open differential, not so critical (except for traction needs)... How else do you explain the little temporary spares so may automobiles come with?

The Toyota trucks most of us have, come with full size spares.

Bob and Susan - 7-25-2014 at 07:22 PM

keep the NEWEST tire...look at the date code

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngIK4dmTGic

just because it hasn't been on the ground doesn't mean its the best

MMc - 7-25-2014 at 07:24 PM

For short distance a small difference is not a big deal. The little spares say for SLOW SPEED AND LESS THEN 50 MILES (at least mine do).
I would put the 285 as the spare. I just can put a 285 in my spare hanger below. My truck is 4x4 with posi and lockers, so I carry one down below and one in the rack for "out there trips, and leave the rack tire at home for the trade routes.

liknbaja127 - 7-25-2014 at 07:28 PM

David, I am running a larger than stock tire. No room under my F-250 for the same tire. We have also hade a few side walls fail! Big Rocks on road

Ateo - 7-25-2014 at 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
4WD vs 2WD? (I think I know, but it is an important bit of info.)

Is the new tire size more than 1" taller than the spare? If not I would not worry, if it was my truck (I am running 1" taller than stock and spare size). However, I almost never need to use my spare, or haven't... Always could plug the hole until I got it patched.

If you get a flat, will you need 4WD before fixing it?

[Edited on 7-26-2014 by David K]

1.18" taller than the spare. 2 WD but I pretend I'm 4X4. JK. I have never needed my spare except 1 time when I got 3 flats all at once, on stock Tundra tires, in the 7 sisters. Thank Zeus for Slime.

Ateo - 7-25-2014 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Buy a second rim.

Save the two best tires you are replacing and have them mounted on the two rims.

This is exactly what I almost did last time I bought tires. I drove off and realized I never put the spares in the truck. By the time I called them, they had the tires hauled off. BS.

I'll think about it tonight. Thanks.

Ateo - 7-25-2014 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by liknbaja127
Ateo, we carry the stock spare under the truck. And we also have a spare that
Match's the larger tires that we carry in the back. You can always run the smaller tire on the front, But not a good idea on the back, So I have been told. But with the BFG's you won't have any problems! Sorry David, they are good tires.

Thanks for the feedback. Smaller on back not good. I'll remember that. I think I'm going with the 2 spares, although most trips I don't need that type of extra backup.

liknbaja127 - 7-25-2014 at 07:50 PM

Not with the BFG's:bounce:

Ateo - 7-25-2014 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
keep the NEWEST tire...look at the date code

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngIK4dmTGic

just because it hasn't been on the ground doesn't mean its the best

Good point. The spare is technicaly older than the beat to crap tires I'm replacing, even though it looks brand new.

Ateo - 7-25-2014 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i have a second spare that rides inside for those trips "out there"!!! to keep your drivetrain running smoove you should ALWAYS run tires of the same size on each axle. if you are in 4x4 it is even more critical.

the slight differences in diameters will bind your driveline and, ultimately, lead to failure...... YMMV!

Thanks Woody. I concur. The 'out there" trips require 2 spares to keep the pucker factor down.

Ateo - 7-25-2014 at 07:58 PM

Thanks all. You covered every idea I was pondering before I posted this. Tire age, distance to drive to closest llantera, tire size effectiveness etc....

I think I will keep 2 of the old tires (even though they are beat to complete shhhhhhiiiiit after that Baja 1000 excursion into Rancho Nuevo York). I won't need them for more than 30-40 miles.

Nomads, thanks for jumping in and providing intel.

bajaguy - 7-25-2014 at 08:05 PM

No problem. Just buy me a beer next time you drive through Ensenada

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Buy a second rim.

This is exactly what I almost did last time I bought tires. I drove off and realized I never put the spares in the truck. By the time I called them, they had the tires hauled off. BS.

I'll think about it tonight. Thanks.

Marc - 7-25-2014 at 10:20 PM

I keep the factory spare and a full size on a matching rim sometimes on top of the cab.

bajalearner - 7-26-2014 at 09:13 AM

When ever I have a car with a new tire for the spare, I add the spare to the ground the first time I need new tires. Then I only have to buy 3 tires and I use the best old tire as my spare . I use the new tire and I don't like to keep a spare for many years even though it's out of the direct sunshine.

But in this case, the new tire size was changed so it's a different case. But that's my 2 cents.

woody with a view - 7-26-2014 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks Woody. I concur. The 'out there" trips require 2 spares to keep the pucker factor down.

if you don't have 4x4 then the above won't apply. it is the front driveline that binds while engaged. without a rear locker only one rear wheel drives even in 4x4, or is that 3x3?:light:

TMW - 7-26-2014 at 10:36 AM

A larger than stock tire may not fit in the spare tire location. I had to redo the carrier brackets to make mine fit. I always carry two spares. One under the truck and one in the bed. The one in the bed is easier to get to if needed. Since your truck is a 2 wheel drive putting a smaller tire on the front won't hurt. It will probably pull a little on pavement. If you have a locking rear I'd be careful, not so much in the dirt but the pavement could cause damage. If you carry a matching size spare in the bed then there is no reason not to keep the smaller spare under the truck. IMO

David K - 7-26-2014 at 10:53 AM

The rear locker in a TRD Off Road Toyota is selectable, not like a Detroit or other automatic locker. So don't lock the rear with a different diameter rear tires.

Ateo - 7-26-2014 at 05:52 PM

Well guys, thanks again.

Today I got my new BFG AT TA KO's.

Feels a whole lot safer driving down the road after the last set that had very little tread.

The guy said the new All Terrain TA KO's should be out in a month or 2. He also said Toyo has some new rugged beefy off road tire coming out in 1 to 2 months as well.

I ended up mounting the larger size on the spare.

Off to Baja dirt roads shortly. Bajaguy, I owe you a beer but I think I'll be driving thru Ensenada in the morning. To early to drink?

[Edited on 7-27-2014 by Ateo]

805gregg - 7-26-2014 at 06:10 PM

Quote:

Nope BS, I drove home from Oregon 900 miles with a 265/70/17 on one side in the front, other side 315/7017 no problems in the front, but wouldn't do it in the rear

bajaguy - 7-26-2014 at 06:14 PM

Never too early. Anytime after Sept 15th

Quote:
Well guys, thanks again.

Today I got my new BFG AT TA KO's.

Feels a whole lot safer driving down the road after the last set that had very little tread.

The guy said the new All Terrain TA KO's should be out in a month or 2. He also said Toyo has some new rugged beefy off road tire coming out in 1 to 2 months as well.

I ended up mounting the larger size on the spare.

Off to Baja dirt roads shortly. Bajaguy, I owe you a beer but I think I'll be driving thru Ensenada in the morning. To early to drink?

[Edited on 7-27-2014 by Ateo]

liknbaja127 - 7-26-2014 at 07:05 PM

That's great! new bfg's always feel good! We will be doing a short trip to mikes in 2 weeks if you want to break them in :bounce:

woody with a view - 7-27-2014 at 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
Quote:

Nope BS, I drove home from Oregon 900 miles with a 265/70/17 on one side in the front, other side 315/7017 no problems in the front, but wouldn't do it in the rear

FOCUS! read the entire thing.... "if you don't have 4x4 then the above won't apply. it is the front driveline that binds while engaged. without a rear locker only one rear wheel drives even in 4x4, or is that 3x3?:light:"

805gregg - 7-27-2014 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

FOCUS! read the entire thing.... "if you don't have 4x4 then the above won't apply. it is the front driveline that binds while engaged. without a rear locker only one rear wheel drives even in 4x4, or is that 3x3?:light:"

Mine is real 4X4 Dodge 3500 with a 4000 lb camper on it, with a front axel, you don't realize every time you turn, one front tire travels farther than the other, so in front ok in rear no, read my post 900 miles no problem, I could have traveled the length of Baja I wasn't in 4 wheel drive never only needed it one time in 60 years of visiting Baja, before I put the smaller tire on the front I drove over 60 miles with it on the rear still no problems, the width of Baja.

[Edited on 7-30-2014 by 805gregg]

[Edited on 7-30-2014 by 805gregg]

Tioloco - 7-30-2014 at 03:14 PM

60 years.....only needed 4x4 in baja once???

David K - 7-30-2014 at 06:47 PM

There is so much more Baja to see than on paved or graded dirt roads!

Sure, most roads are passable in 2WD, but the spinning of the rear tire when traction is lost really damages the road. Be kind to the dirt (and your truck), and use 4WD off pavement!

:light:

norte - 7-30-2014 at 08:43 PM

If anyone REALLY cared about damage to the environment, they wouldn't drive in the desert at all or on the beach for that matter ....since they are both so very fragile...

Tioloco - 7-30-2014 at 08:47 PM

I guess if any of us cared about the environment, we would go back to hunting and gathering and not have modern society...?

bajaguy - 7-30-2014 at 08:50 PM

I guess if any of us cared about the environment, we wouldn't have Baja off-road races..........? :?::?::?:

Tioloco - 7-30-2014 at 08:56 PM

I could live without the race scene..... I don't know that the businesses would like it much. Exploring remote baja and leaving it as you found it is a reasonable way to enjoy the area. If looking for crowds is your goal, it isn't really necessary to cross the border. Safest most relaxing times ever are easily found off the beaten path.

David K - 7-31-2014 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
If anyone REALLY cared about damage to the environment, they wouldn't drive in the desert at all or on the beach for that matter ....since they are both so very fragile...

Sure, if you don't then why should anyone else, right?

People are part of this planet too, not an invader species. The desert is perhaps the hardiest place on earth (not fragile) and the beach renews itself with every high tide and wind storm.

Foot prints in the sand go deeper than my tires, so you must advocate no people should walk on beaches either?

805gregg - 7-31-2014 at 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tioloco
60 years.....only needed 4x4 in baja once???

That's right, in the 60's a 56 Buick could go anywhere, and they did that's why I used it as an example. 4x4 , just gets you stuck worse, I use the old Baja way, stop get out and walk it first, then you don't come across a hazard you can't get out of. Works every time unless you are lazy.

liknbaja127 - 7-31-2014 at 07:40 PM

Well put Davit! Seems like If you run in 4-wheel on dirt roads, It seems to smooth it out a bit!
some.

BajaRat - 7-31-2014 at 08:01 PM

Jon, did you get the new or old pattern ? I think we are gonna stick with the KM2's but I'd love to hear a report on the new design performance :cool:
Same size tires are always the best plan period:P

Tioloco - 7-31-2014 at 09:46 PM

Exploring baja is great via highway and dirt roads in 2wd. Even greater in 4x4 in the washes and on the beaches. Either is better than not going at all.

Chupacabra - 7-31-2014 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Sure, most roads are passable in 2WD, but the spinning of the rear tire when traction is lost really damages the road. Be kind to the dirt (and your truck), and use 4WD off pavement!

Another issue is that many roads are passable in 2WD when dry but can quickly turn to 4X4 only if the weather turns bad, leaving you stranded.

I like going to remote areas and having 4WD available is like carrying a spare and jack...most often don't need it but it's a lifesaver when you do.

Tioloco - 7-31-2014 at 09:59 PM

True. And you never know when that storm will tear up the road ahead. Top off the ice chest at every stop available. Never venture out without a full load of pacificos...

Tomas Tierra - 7-31-2014 at 10:24 PM

There goes DK trashing the BFG ta ko again.. And he's never had a set!
At least ten sets for me, one nail puncture In twenty years from being stupid...

I just put a new set of 275 70 17 on my Tundra...... A set of five...... Like having bomb proof anchor gear, with way to much chain on your yacht.. A new set of BFG's (ta ko) is the most important insurance policy you can put on your Baja vehicle... Bar none..

Ok ok, whatever tire YOU think is the best... Put five on the truck, all the same size, Jmho

And running around in 4by the whole time your in the dirt?? Double the gas consumption.. No big deal if your going to poke back to the highway/hotel every night. But, If your trying to get somewhere good, and gas could be an issue, use 4by sparingly.. Any decent uphill or downhill I come to in the dirt, I throw it in 4by. I carry a camper and some weight, so I want to distribute as much of that weigt as I can to the front axle when appropriate..
Mis dos centavos
TT

David K - 8-1-2014 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
There goes DK trashing the BFG ta ko again.. And he's never had a set!
At least ten sets for me, one nail puncture In twenty years from being stupid...

I just put a new set of 275 70 17 on my Tundra...... A set of five...... Like having bomb proof anchor gear, with way to much chain on your yacht.. A new set of BFG's (ta ko) is the most important insurance policy you can put on your Baja vehicle... Bar none..

Ok ok, whatever tire YOU think is the best... Put five on the truck, all the same size, Jmho

And running around in 4by the whole time your in the dirt?? Double the gas consumption.. No big deal if your going to poke back to the highway/hotel every night. But, If your trying to get somewhere good, and gas could be an issue, use 4by sparingly.. Any decent uphill or downhill I come to in the dirt, I throw it in 4by. I carry a camper and some weight, so I want to distribute as much of that weigt as I can to the front axle when appropriate..
Mis dos centavos
TT

Nope, not trashing, just reporting on actual failures I have seen. Also, I have owned 4 sets of BFGs, I actually replaced the original set that came on my first Tacoma with the same BFG tires when the price was still low on them (they are being called 'Rugged Fails' on Tacoma World so my opinion is not alone).

There are just so many other good tires without the history of repeated sidewall failures of the All Terrain TA, I have a hard time understanding the blind loyalty to this one brand? I have had great performance off road from Toyo, Hankook and Cooper... I know Doug here swears by Yokohama... and that's what Cameron Steele runs on his Raptor... There are just so many more options than BFG, that's all.

BajaRat - 8-1-2014 at 08:46 AM

Quote:

Nope, not trashing, just reporting on actual failures I have seen. Also, I have owned 4 sets of BFGs, I actually replaced the original set that came on my first Tacoma with the same BFG tires when the price was still low on them (they are being called 'Rugged Fails' on Tacoma World so my opinion is not alone)

Guess I don't F up are rides that much, years of BFG in my fams history book and I've never experienced the failure rate you speak of .
I would agree the low end Rugged Trail BFGs that came on some new vehicles are not their finest product and I don't have any application for them. My " Spiderman KM2s " are the finest tires I've ever owned and are best suited for my application.
Most Baja Locals with any money seem to run KM2s on their 4x4s or maybe I just have an eye for them.
I love when I pull in to a BFG dealer in Baja that they rotate their product for free ( tip not included ) and IF I should ever shred one of my beauties I can replace it IN Baja.

Yep, their Baja Champions

[Edited on 8-1-2014 by BajaRat]

[Edited on 8-1-2014 by BajaRat]

Tioloco - 8-1-2014 at 08:54 AM

Tacoma world.... Haha! That is funny!

Tioloco - 8-1-2014 at 08:59 AM

I've had no issues with Goodyear mt/rs or BFG a/ts. Lots of buddies run the BFG m/t , seems to be a good tire too. Doesn't appear to be blind brand loyalty.

Tioloco - 8-1-2014 at 09:03 AM

I run Kevlar mt/r on my jk rubicon and have chewed them up pretty bad in rocks. Never had a flat. Wouldn't run them on my superduty as it sees a lot of highway miles in addition to desert trips. Different tires for different applications. Could just buy 2 sets and swap them out when going to baja.

Tomas Tierra - 8-1-2014 at 03:24 PM

20 years and ten sets is by no means blind brand loyalty, DK'd.
Easily 20,000 offroad miles in those twenty years, btw

I've seen you post one pic of a sidewall blowout on a bfg ta/ko in risky conditions(been there, know that). Please elaborate on this "repeated sidewall failure" you speak of..
Only seen one other thread here where someone had a bfgtako failure(not sidewall), and they had disclaimed needing a new set before the trip....and leave your stock bfg's out of it this time.thats like comparing a race horse to a desert mule

David K - 8-1-2014 at 05:16 PM

So, do you want people to say if a popular tire fails ever... or just play it hush hush? I see you started a new thread just for the All Terrain TAs, asking.

I was the passenger in two different trucks, 13 years apart, very new looking tires both times (All Terrain TA) and they both had a sidewall failure.

The first time on a sand road and no rock was seen and the second time, the driver saw the rock and took the blame for hitting it.

What I am saying is the famous 3 ply sidewall that has this tire so well liked is not making it stronger by any sense of the meaning. Except for my Cooper Discoverer STT tires, I only have run 2 ply sidewall truck (all terrain) tires and NEVER had a sidewall failure.

My wife has All Terrains on her CJ-5 and LOVED them ('a good Jeep needs good shoes' she would say).

Just saying these tires are not fail proof, as I have witnessed...

willardguy - 8-1-2014 at 05:27 PM

I concur! if manny,moe,jack and davidK say coopers are da chit, you gotta believe em! between the four of them they've logged almost 8,000 posts over at tacoma world! they must know what they're talkin about! ;)

David K - 8-1-2014 at 05:35 PM

I like Toyo and Hankook as well if not better than Cooper.

jbcoug - 8-1-2014 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
True. And you never know when that storm will tear up the road ahead. Top off the ice chest at every stop available. Never venture out without a full load of pacificos...

Some people truly know how to travel and keep their priorities straight.

805gregg - 8-1-2014 at 07:00 PM

Quote:

Who cares?

Tioloco - 8-1-2014 at 07:01 PM

GO PREPARED! Also don't forget in addition to a spare tire, you need a bag full of baja burritos. They can be a real lifesaver.

Tomas Tierra - 8-1-2014 at 11:14 PM

Sooooo, one failure blamed on the tire in the last 50something years in Baja is repeated failure?? C'mon dude, that just sounds foolish.. I give you more cred than that

David K - 8-2-2014 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Who cares?

Nobody I hope, but Tomas keeps making up stuff about what I promote/ like/ dislike/ tear down... I just want to make the truth be known.

1) There are many good tires and I will report on MY experiences with them.

2) Twice I was in a truck with BFG All Terrains that had sidewall failures. I also was in a Jeep with never a BFG failure. Since we expect tires to not fail, that is the norm.

3) I have owned 4 sets of BFGs over the past 14 years. Each one has lasted less than 30,000 miles before numerous flats from sharp rocks had me change them. They were the Rugged Trail TAs.

Air pressure has a lot to do with resisting punctures on Baja graded roads and I now deflate to 25 psi and no more sharp rock flats (so far).

BajaRat - 8-2-2014 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K[/i

2) Twice I was in a truck with BFG All Terrains that had sidewall failures. I also was in a Jeep with never a BFG failure. Since we expect tires to not fail, that is the norm.

Twice I've gottin my wife pregnant with hundreds of chances and near misses, still not gonna trade her out, I've found her pattern works for my application.
To each his own, you enjoy yours I'll enjoy mine.
And I have experienced punctures but no failures :cool:

willardguy - 8-2-2014 at 10:13 AM

anyone care to just take a look at years of results in B1K? good luck with your maypops ! ;D

solosancarlos - 8-2-2014 at 03:58 PM

10 ply tires both treads AND sidewalls

TWO spares

[Edited on 8-2-2014 by solosancarlos]

Tomas Tierra - 8-2-2014 at 07:07 PM

Quote:
20 years and ten sets is by no means blind brand loyalty, DK'd.
Easily 20,000 offroad miles in those twenty years, btw

I've seen you post one pic of a sidewall blowout on a bfg ta/ko in risky conditions(been there, know that). Please elaborate on this "repeated sidewall failure" you speak of..
Only seen one other thread here where someone had a bfgtako failure(not sidewall), and they had disclaimed needing a new set before the trip....and leave your stock bfg's out of it this time.thats like comparing a race horse to a desert mule

C'mon DK.. Quote the above and talk about it.. I'm making up nothing! Just trying to get you to elaborate on your outlandish quotes... "repeated sidewall failure" let's hear about it! One? In ALL of your Baja experience? Still waiting for someone to chime in to my bfg failure thread with a sidewall (or any unjustified failure),not seeing it... If your getting a kick back from cooper or something, that's fine! But... Your being called out.... So let's hear it!

Tomas Tierra - 8-2-2014 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
..and leave your stock bfg's out of it this time.thats like comparing a race horse to a desert mule

And DK, you seem to be having a problem with this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I got nothing against you! Never have..... Silly at times, but so am I :)

Tomas Tierra - 8-2-2014 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Quote:
Originally posted by David K[/i

Twice I've gottin my wife pregnant with hundreds of chances and near misses, still not gonna trade her out, I've found her pattern works for my application.
To each his own, you enjoy yours I'll enjoy mine.
And I have experienced punctures but no failures :cool:

Hahahahahaha

Thousands for me! And I ain't trading either! Called "eyes wide open loyalty"

TT

liknbaja127 - 8-2-2014 at 07:57 PM

That looks like he caught a sharp rock! these guy push a little harder than a normal daily driver! lots of sharp edge rocks on those roads!

David K - 8-3-2014 at 08:32 AM

Yes, the driver of the Raptor said he saw it and took the blame... BUT why didn't the 3 ply sidewall work... it was a rock on the road, like so many others?

Just be aware that a 3 ply sidewall does not make ANY tire flat proof.

I look forward to the newly designed replacement for the All Terrain TA. It has much better looking sidewall beef! I guess all the complaints finally got them to do something. I mean, if people keep buying the same tire over and over, why change it? Thank you to those that come forward and report tire failures!

MMc - 8-3-2014 at 08:39 AM

DK does not spend that much time in Baja, look at his reports. He loves Baja and all things Baja. His time in country not so much. He goes to his little island once or twice a year and maybe take a longer trip for a week or so, but time south..... For a couple of years he didn't go at all, I don't think he felt safe when the narco's were doing their thing.
I don't think he is 20 days south most years.

solosancarlos - 8-3-2014 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
DK does not spend that much time in Baja, look at his reports. He loves Baja and all things Baja. His time in country not so much. He goes to his little island once or twice a year and maybe take a longer trip for a week or so, but time south..... For a couple of years he didn't go at all, I don't think he felt safe when the narco's were doing their thing.

what an "a" hole you are

is this some kind of a "how many days I go to Baja a year" contest ?

Dave does a lot of good here

MMc - 8-3-2014 at 03:05 PM

"What have you done to help others find adventure in Baja, here on the Internet?"

I don't think it's my job to help people to have an adventure. Having said that,I use the U2U to give people answers to their post so the world doesn't see. I have and do give info. via U2U it's like talking around a fire or a cold one. Posting on this board is like posting on the number one Baja site on the internet.

I don't post trip reports or photos because:

I do think of myself and what I do as important.

My trips are personal and should stay that way.

Many places that I go to are still rather pristine and my exposing them could lead them to become other wise.

I find that I am helping more and more travelers that are ill-prepared in remote areas. Travers 10 plus years ago were self contained, today that's not so. I do not believe in encouraging the ill-prepared.

If somebody wants to promote what they do in Baja I am all for it, they have skin in the game. To talk about a place when you don't is bringing change to somebody whom may or may not want it. I have watched Baja change a lot. Change is inevitable and I accept that. I do not have to promote it when I only visit. What ever change occurs I can adjust to. Some of the living things may not be able to.

What would happen to whale watching if the Government had not stepped in? If left to it's devices I do not think the whale would be doing as well as they are. Most places or things don't have anything protecting them. Scorpion Bay and Abreojos are no longer an adventure. There are still so many wild places in Baja and I will and continue to help others find them. My help to others on this board is to point them towards a place and let them discover it for themselves, not to show pictures and maps. Pictures and maps take some of the wonder away IMO

DK, what you do with your history is great. I read it and enjoy it, hell it even got a once in a life time trip. That is great!

DK, you and I will never agree on this I understand your point of view, I also have seen so much change of Baja, most not for the better. You say this board do not have that kind of impact, I can point out many places that are benefiting because it. They at least they have skin in the game, we do not.

I'm Mike and I am a butthead

Tioloco - 8-3-2014 at 04:43 PM

SOOOO..... I suppose we can sum up this thread with-
1.) Bring at least one good spare tire to Baja.
2.) A second spare tire would be a good thing.

MMc - 8-3-2014 at 05:25 PM

x2
make sure you like your tires.
Sorry, for the highjack all.
MMc

rts551 - 8-3-2014 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
"What have you done to help others find adventure in Baja, here on the Internet?"

I don't think it's my job to help people to have an adventure. Having said that,I use the U2U to give people answers to their post so the world doesn't see. I have and do give info. via U2U it's like talking around a fire or a cold one. Posting on this board is like posting on the number one Baja site on the internet.

I don't post trip reports or photos because:

I do think of myself and what I do as important.

My trips are personal and should stay that way.

Many places that I go to are still rather pristine and my exposing them could lead them to become other wise.

I find that I am helping more and more travelers that are ill-prepared in remote areas. Travers 10 plus years ago were self contained, today that's not so. I do not believe in encouraging the ill-prepared.

If somebody wants to promote what they do in Baja I am all for it, they have skin in the game. To talk about a place when you don't is bringing change to somebody whom may or may not want it. I have watched Baja change a lot. Change is inevitable and I accept that. I do not have to promote it when I only visit. What ever change occurs I can adjust to. Some of the living things may not be able to.

What would happen to whale watching if the Government had not stepped in? If left to it's devices I do not think the whale would be doing as well as they are. Most places or things don't have anything protecting them. Scorpion Bay and Abreojos are no longer an adventure. There are still so many wild places in Baja and I will and continue to help others find them. My help to others on this board is to point them towards a place and let them discover it for themselves, not to show pictures and maps. Pictures and maps take some of the wonder away IMO

DK, what you do with your history is great. I read it and enjoy it, hell it even got a once in a life time trip. That is great!

DK, you and I will never agree on this I understand your point of view, I also have seen so much change of Baja, most not for the better. You say this board do not have that kind of impact, I can point out many places that are benefiting because it. They at least they have skin in the game, we do not.

I'm Mike and I am a butthead

My Name is Ralph and I am also a Butthead. There are many people that know more about Baja than DK. Some of his data can be very outdated and may mislead you (as pointed out...he makes few trips). But to question the Nomad king will cause some to rise up and defend the all mighty...and send you cringing to other forums! After all he has many old maps and republishes/posts the work of many others from years gone by. My name is Ralph and...and...and......I will ...will...willl.go back to fishing.

Tioloco - 8-3-2014 at 05:54 PM

Mike and ralph, I am sure there is a cure for you out there..... I just don't think anyone has found it yet! you guys are funny!

MMc - 8-3-2014 at 06:10 PM

It's our 10 step program.:lol::lol::lol:

rts551 - 8-3-2014 at 06:34 PM

Quote:
Mike and ralph, I am sure there is a cure for you out there..... I just don't think anyone has found it yet! you guys are funny!

Come on I am sure there are others who aren't members of the chicken coup groupers.....how many other buttheads are out there? Oh..there is a cure....I spend most of my time at the beach in Baja...and it is not President Obama's (or anyone elses but my own) fault. That is why i only frequent Nominds occasionally.

Tioloco - 8-3-2014 at 07:02 PM

I am still trying to figure out the chicken coop groupers.... Looks hilarious

Tomas Tierra - 8-3-2014 at 09:39 PM

CCG'ers hahahaha there is a blast from the past!

Tomas Tierra - 8-3-2014 at 09:53 PM

No tire is an island..

[Edited on 8-4-2014 by Tomas Tierra]

Tomas Tierra - 8-3-2014 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by solosancarlos
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc

what an "a" hole you are

is this some kind of a "how many days I go to Baja a year" contest ?

Dave does a lot of good here

You would win that contest!!;D

MMc - 8-3-2014 at 10:34 PM

WINNER WINNER We all get a dinner!!!!!!!!!

I buy really good tires and abuse the sh!t out of them.The tire that gets me home are the one's that buy I again.

I buy the stuff that works for me. If your truck or your tire or your whatever works for you, then party on. It's just stuff!!! The reason I love something is the reason somebody else hate's it.

[Edited on 8-4-2014 by MMc]

MMc - 8-3-2014 at 10:49 PM

I leave in a couple hours for a little point break. Have a nice life.
See ya, 'Bye"

David K - 8-4-2014 at 08:15 AM

Thank you Mike, well said... I hope you can continue to have as many Baja adventures as possible. I do not blame you for not spilling the beans on you secret surf spots, and I am sorry if it sounded like I was being critical of your secrecy. That is everyone's right.

My observations is that good roads and not Baja Nomad brings people to places they would otherwise never visit.

Have a great year and the ice cold Pacifico or Dos Equis is on me!