BajaNomad

Home for Elderly Gentlemen another secret donor and request for photos!

DianaT - 8-16-2014 at 12:11 PM

Yes, I know that there are so many worthy causes in Baja and so many who live and travel there are very generous and probably a bit tapped out. But I wanted to throw this one out as for obvious reasons, I have a soft spot in my heart for the elderly in need.

If you live near San Jacinto, Baja, or if you are traveling down Baja, and if you want to provide some help for 10 elderly men and their young caretakers, it would be greatly appreciated.

Good friends of ours who were neighbors at one time, Murray and Penny Freeland, live full time just north of Camalu out near the shipwreck. (They originally moved to Bahia de Los Angeles, but they did not care for the summers) They have discovered a Care facility in San Jacinto that is not receiving support from anywhere. It is the home of a young couple and their 4 year old daughter who are providing full care for 10 elderly men whose families cannot support. They started with caring for a grandfather, and then one of his friends, and now have 10 elderly men who need care.

Our friends say the place is spotless and the men are well cared for with lots of respect. The young couple are doing their best to provide it all. Our friends have started trying to do what they can --- including taking and sharing a spaghetti dinner with all of them. They say that if they just stop by to say hello, the men are so happy.
They, of course, could use help with clothes, medicine, food,toiletries, paper products and other necessities.

Thus, if you are interested in helping a bit, here is the contact information, you can U2U me and I will give you their contact information.

I can assure you that Penny and Murray are wonderful people who are always the first to help everyone as much as they can. BTW-- Penny says that this young couple and the men ask for nothing. But they sure could use some help and she also said they love visitors.

[Edited on 2-9-2015 by DianaT]

BajaRat - 8-16-2014 at 07:00 PM

Very moving to see what some folks do for others Diana. In a time of such hopelessness and hatred these are the stories that lift us up. In our busy lives it's easy to forget that eventually we will all need a hand.
Are they out on the point or in town or ?

Thanks, Lionel

TecateRay - 8-16-2014 at 08:06 PM

After the Baja 500 we stopped in at the Casa Ancianos you mention here. I didn't know the story about the place but we figured they could use some food. We had quite a bit of stuff leftover after camping nearby for the race and decided to try and help out. When we helped carry the food inside we saw that the fridge was nearly empty.

We were glad to be able to help even a little bit and I encourage anyone to take the short drive off the highway (maybe 3/4 of a mile) and help these folks out. Just head west at the Shipwreck sign and the home will be on your right just as you get to the village.

DianaT - 8-17-2014 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TecateRay
After the Baja 500 we stopped in at the Casa Ancianos you mention here. I didn't know the story about the place but we figured they could use some food. We had quite a bit of stuff leftover after camping nearby for the race and decided to try and help out. When we helped carry the food inside we saw that the fridge was nearly empty.

We were glad to be able to help even a little bit and I encourage anyone to take the short drive off the highway (maybe 3/4 of a mile) and help these folks out. Just head west at the Shipwreck sign and the home will be on your right just as you get to the village.

TecateRay, yes that is the place! Our friends rent a home out by the beach.

One person asked about sending things by bus, and yes, Penny and or Murray will pick up any package. Penny will be in the states from Aug. 2 to Sept. 16th, but Murray will be there. Again, if someone wants to help through them, U2U me for their phone number. They are doing all they can, and trying to help with electricity, propane, water, etc., but they are on a limited budget.

Or as TecateRay did, just take the short trip off the main highway, visit and drop off what you can. Yesterday, Penny said they took them all popsicles and the men were really happy.

Here is a list that Penny sent me of some of their needs, besides food; clothing, mostly size medium, shoes, paper product, depends, personal hygiene wipes, towels, sheets, medication, cleaning supplies, etc.

She also said that if people just wanted to stop by and visit, they appreciate that too! Oh, maybe toys and clothes for their 4 year old daughter would be nice! The mother works, but supplying the necessities for 10 people is a lot.

Thanks for the inquiries, everything will be appreciated!

DianaT - 8-17-2014 at 08:33 PM

A couple of people asked me about cash donations. Penny and Murray do not have a paypal account, but since Penny will be in the states for more than a week after August 26. I do have a mailing address for her where a check could be sent.

And to ward off the naysayers, she will provide details as to where the money is spent.

U2U if your are interested, or again, if you want to do a totally direct donation, just take a tiny detour off the main highway to help out some deserving people.

Edited to correct date.

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by DianaT]

chuckie - 8-17-2014 at 09:14 PM

How about some more specific directions, like KM markers from ? Sounds like a worthwhile place to stop, specially for us old guys...Thanks..

danaeb - 8-17-2014 at 09:50 PM

I'm in San Diego and am more than willing to donate items, if anyone is passing through on their way south.

DianaT - 8-18-2014 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
How about some more specific directions, like KM markers from ? Sounds like a worthwhile place to stop, specially for us old guys...Thanks..

The turnoff is a couple of miles north of Camalu, between Km 150 and 149 and is easy to spot as there is a sign that says El Barco -- it is the road out to the Shipwreck.

As TecateRey said, it is about 3/4 miles to the beginning of the town and Casa Ancianos is on the right hand side of the road at the beginning of town. I have not been there yet, but hope to visit. I hope you do stop by and visit --- Penny says they just love the company.

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
I'm in San Diego and am more than willing to donate items, if anyone is passing through on their way south.

I hope someone will respond to this. I am currently grounded as I am recovering from knee surgery and may need another one!

Penny is traveling by bus and will be full from some donations she is getting from family she is visiting.

So if anyone is willing to take any donations down, they can either take the short side trip out there and personally deliever the goods, or I am sure Murray and or Penny would meet you at the highway and I can give you their phone number.

THANKS to both of you for thinking about this, and thanks to the people who have sent u2us.

:yes::yes:

DianaT - 8-19-2014 at 05:42 PM

Just wanted to pass on some more detailed information about this place for anyone who is interested in visiting to see what it is all about. I know that it is easier to donate to something one sees in person.

Casa Hogar Para Ancianos
Rancho Los Amigos A.C.
Ubicado cn Mesa de San Jacinto
Delegacion de Camalu
House phone...616 159 2894
Jose Luis Romero Alva...cell 616 163 3067 wife Angela

And again, thanks for the U2Us :yes:

David K - 8-19-2014 at 05:53 PM

I bet if Cameron Steele knew about this he could help... He knows the place, since he used the shipwreck there as a photo op for his upcoming CBS Sports TV special 'Trail of Missions'?

David K - 8-19-2014 at 06:15 PM

Cameron reads Nomad! :light:

I will email him a link to this thread, as well!

woody with a view - 8-19-2014 at 06:18 PM

Quote:

depending on what you have we will be passing by this Friday. 1.5 mile detour is okay and it'll reinforce to my grown son the importance of helping others. U2U me details.

DianaT - 8-19-2014 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:

depending on what you have we will be passing by this Friday. 1.5 mile detour is okay and it'll reinforce to my grown son the importance of helping others. U2U me details.

I hope that works out! Please let us know. I can't wait to visit this place.

And to the Nomad who is sending our friend a check, you are an angel. :saint:

[Edited on 9-24-2014 by DianaT]

DianaT - 8-20-2014 at 01:56 PM

In talking with the people at the home, this is just a simple sample list of some well needed items --- as you can imagine, they go through these items rather quickly.

Gauze squares. For wound cleaning
Iodine
Rubber gloves
Cough syrup
Depends...mens medium
Wheel chair pads
Alcohol
Shampoo
Bath soap
Razors
Laundry soap

I would add toilet paper as it is so expensive in Baja --- OUr friends took them a small first aid kit, and I am sure they could use more.

Just adding to the list above --- I just think about what we need to run our household and add things that are for the elderly --- more elderly than we are. :-)

For those who have sent u2u's, and are working on ways to visit and or help, you are wonderful. :-)

woody with a view - 8-20-2014 at 05:38 PM

we have BOXES of TP left over at work as we near the end of this job. i'll donate a small forest! My son is meeting Dana tomorrow.

Ateo - 8-20-2014 at 06:07 PM

Nice work Woody. Safe trails amigo.

MMc - 8-20-2014 at 06:29 PM

Thank you for this post, It seems like a good cause, Maybe I bring them some tuna:lol::lol: Usually non perishables are better or personal stuff. Please let us know what they can use.

DianaT - 8-20-2014 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
we have BOXES of TP left over at work as we near the end of this job. i'll donate a small forest! My son is meeting Dana tomorrow.

FANTASTIC --- :bounce::bounce:

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
Thank you for this post, It seems like a good cause, Maybe I bring them some tuna:lol::lol: Usually non perishables are better or personal stuff. Please let us know what they can use.

Can goods are always a good idea! My friend says that everything is needed -- blankets, towels, personal hygiene items, and all the things mentioned above. Most of the clothing she says would probably be in the medium size --- underwear is always needed.

My friend, Penny also asked the couple what they could use for themselves and their 4 year old child, and they said they it was more important that the needs of the elderly men are met. In fact, they never asked for ANYTHING at all. A teddy bear might be in order. After my friend contacted me and posted on her facebook page, she told the caretakers that there may be people who are interested in making a donation, and they were tearful.

I am so excited that the first donation from this nomad site is going to be headed that way soon as is a cash donation.
:bounce::bounce:

That of course, does not include the great donation from TecateRey who found this place before we knew about it and helped them out!

:yes::yes::yes:

danaeb - 8-21-2014 at 10:21 AM

WooHoo! Hand-off complete. Thank you Woody and son Scott.

willardguy - 8-21-2014 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I bet if Cameron Steele knew about this he could help... He knows the place, since he used the shipwreck there as a photo op for his upcoming CBS Sports TV special 'Trail of Missions'?

whoa...shipwreck is looking pretty sad! im surprised it hasn't been salvaged like our Gbay ship was! :)

woody with a view - 8-21-2014 at 11:32 AM

it's scary to think what jagged pieces are broken off underwater, right in the surf zone!

DianaT - 8-21-2014 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
WooHoo! Hand-off complete. Thank you Woody and son Scott.

:bounce::bounce::biggrin::bounce::bounce:

Thank you and thanks to Woody and Scott. :bounce:

DianaT - 8-22-2014 at 07:24 PM

The delivery was made and our friends say the young couple running this place were overwhelmed ---- lots of TP and lots of pharmacy and hygiene products! All so needed. THANK YOU WOODY AND DANA

I know there will be more, but I am hoping to find a way to keep things going. I am looking for the idea of an ongoing sponsor and welcome ANY ideas and thoughts about this.

DianaT - 8-23-2014 at 07:34 PM

SHOES, SHOES

We hope to be down there the last part of September and we have found some great whole sale places for lines and clothes; we will share those sites for others and other causes as soon as we receive our first shipment and make sure they are legit.

Meantime, they really need shoes. Do any of you have shoes between the size of 8 and 10 that are in good shape that you just don't wear anymore?

DianaT - 8-25-2014 at 06:02 PM

Well, a couple of people have said they will deliver some donations soon including some cash, fresh food, jackets, and an on demand propane water heater!

Here's hoping even more will respond. :yes:

[Edited on 8-26-2014 by DianaT]

BajaBlanca - 8-25-2014 at 06:16 PM

delivering goods is excellent as it is all so much more expensive here in Mexico than in the States......money just does not go as far here for items like shoes, blankets, food. sounds like we have a great pay it forward going on here (((:

DianaT - 8-25-2014 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
delivering goods is excellent as it is all so much more expensive here in Mexico than in the States......money just does not go as far here for items like shoes, blankets, food. sounds like we have a great pay it forward going on here (((:

So true Blanca, but a couple of people are sending our friend Penny money as they don't have a way to deliver goods and it is necessary to buy food locally as well as propane, electricity, etc.

Of course canned food and dry goods are a different story. So much is so much more expensive in Baja than in the states! All is so very much appreciated as you well know from your great work in finding donations for other very worthy causes.

woody with a view - 8-26-2014 at 02:51 PM

if anyone needs a nudge Jose Luis and his wife are very young (mid 20's?) and seem like they are just going about a normal routine taking care of these men. they are very nice and the men seemed in good spirits. nice big house that was clean and didn't have any (I expected) funky odors.

all that to say everyone seemed to be happy so you know it isn't some scam.

a worthy cause in my book!!!!

BajaLuna - 8-26-2014 at 03:05 PM

that's great that you did that, Woody! And thanks for your update!

We would also like to help out, and will be going down to Baja in the Fall!!

I will check back on this thread as our time gets near to get a current list of items needed, Diana!

Yes, a worthy cause indeed!

DianaT - 8-26-2014 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
if anyone needs a nudge Jose Luis and his wife are very young (mid 20's?) and seem like they are just going about a normal routine taking care of these men. they are very nice and the men seemed in good spirits. nice big house that was clean and didn't have any (I expected) funky odors.

all that to say everyone seemed to be happy so you know it isn't some scam.

a worthy cause in my book!!!!

Thanks Woody --- yes they are young and have a 4 year old daughter. It started with a grandfather and just happened

I can't wait to meet them in person!

BajaLuna, yes, do check back and or U2U me before you travel south and we will give you an update.

:-)

DianaT - 9-2-2014 at 01:00 PM

For those of you who need clothing for your projects in Baja, I would like to recommend a discount dealer where you do not have to buy hundreds of one item.

Shirt Champ

We ordered some things and they are cheap, but the quality is as good as full price, and the shipping was fast.

We are waiting for some linens from another wholesale place and will let anyone who is interested as to what we receive. The wholesale linen places want orders of several dozen of one item, but this company agreed to break case for a few items. Still waiting for the shipment.

Also waiting for a box of goodies from a generous nomad that we will deliver. And we hear some others have plans of taking some different items. :bounce::bounce:

Again, if anyone is passing by there, stop by and say hello and drop something off if you can. It now has the official stamp of approval from Woody, which we appreciate. :biggrin:

DianaT - 9-13-2014 at 09:16 AM

Thank you so very much Cabo Magic! Great stuff! :yes::yes:

Nothing like coming home from a quick trip to the Oregon Coast and finding a large box full of goodies!

We are headed down soon and hope to take some pictures.

I know a couple of nomads who are planning winter trips are planning on stopping by the home, and please do!

Our visit to Casa Ancianos

DianaT - 9-23-2014 at 04:24 PM

Casa Ancianos, San Jacinto, Baja ---- this is probably too long, but we just hope it helps.

We have now had the pleasure of visiting the home and delivering a few items. WOW --- it is everything our friend Penny Freeland said it is. The young couple, Jose Luis and Angela and their 4 year old daughter are taking wonderful loving care of these 10 elderly gentlemen giving them all they can when they have so little. It an amazing thing to see people with so little give so much.

A few of the gentlemen require TOTAL care and in a less loving environment, would be confined to bed. There was no feel of it being like a convalescent home; it is a real home. Jose Luis has applied for some government assistance, and we hope that it will come in 2015.

At this time, a local church has assisted them in adding on to the home for enough space for the gentlemen. It is very basic construction, but it works. The church also has one person to relief Jose Luis and Angela one day a week, and a man from a local rehab center comes to cut their hair. And of course, Penny and Murray are doing what they can. The home is very poor and they need so much and NEVER ask for anything.

The donations they have received so far, including the beautiful one from Mas Olas and the one Mas Olas delivered from danaeb who must have cleaned out a local CVS or RiteAid, were so appreciated. We hope it continues.

When we were there, they were cooking the afternoon meal of beans with a can of potatoes mixed in --- they really could use more food! Penny and Murray can only take them so much food from their budget and I really, really hope that some others who live near by can help. Food, food and more food. And of course, they need everything else.

Jose Luis and Angela ask for nothing for themselves or their daughter.

Our visit was short and definitely overwhelming for the family and the men--- Penny, Murray who they know so well, but then myself, John and my sister, who lives not far away and some donations. They are not used to all the activity and are shy about receiving donations, so we left the items for them to sort through later. We took the little girl a box of crayons and a couple of large coloring tablets, and you would have thought we had brought her Disneyland!

Cabo Magic, sent down a lot of things that included women's clothing which will be good for Angela --- the caretakers also need care.

I wanted to take photos, but the timing was just not right --- maybe it will be right at another time, or Penny can take some pictures, but as I said, it was all so overwhelming and photo taking would have been way too intrusive.

I did take a quick photo from the outside for identification purposes and the picture of what I think is a water tank? They do not own the land -- I don't know the story there, but the owners come and stay in the little house at times and Jose Luis and Anglela use the trailer. The picture of the tank is taken looking toward the highway which is only about 3/4 of a mile away. It is the turnoff to the Shipwreck --- the sign coming both ways says, El Barco.

When I have some pictures of the home for abused women and children that my sister is involved with, well, I will be back. And there is talk about a number of these groups getting together to help support one another. More on that later.

Yes, there is so much relief needed right now for the victims of the hurricane, and others busy trying to get their business back, but I just wanted to share this again. I know there are a few people who have said they will stop by on their way down Baja, and thank you to all who do. As my John says, old men also need love. And they definitely need food and everything else!

Every small donation from anyone will be appreciated and well used.

[Edited on 9-24-2014 by DianaT]

DianaT - 9-29-2014 at 11:27 AM

Since our brief visit, Ernesto, one of the residents has died. When we met him, he was so frail. He was so fortunate to have been surrounded by such love and care in his final days.

Very quickly, another resident moved in -- there is such a need.

As the season has come for more snowbirds to be headed to Baja, some, unfortunately, will be faced with personal problems from the hurricane, but if you can and so desire, we hope you might consider dropping off some food at this home. It is so close to the main highway.

While they are in need of so much, keeping up with feeding 12 adults and one child is very difficult and all food is so appreciated. It is a need that is never ending.

I look forward to hearing back from those of you who already plan to make some donations.

Thank you. :saint:

Fernweh - 9-29-2014 at 11:47 AM

I am driving North October 1st from La Paz, and like to stop at their place.,

I am not familiar with the area up there, please post some good directions, where to turn off Hwy 1 and so on...

Maybe a little map?

Thank you,

Karl

woody with a view - 9-29-2014 at 12:10 PM

it is just over the hill from Camalu, north of San Quintin. as you pass the Pemex in Camalu climb that hill and on the other side, at the bottom of the hill will be a very wide dirt road with signs to La Barca (Shipwreck). turn west towards the ocean and look for the pictured house above. about 5 minutes from the hiway.

DianaT - 9-29-2014 at 12:38 PM

THANKS Woody, and I am sure others who visit will find the conditions at the home as you did.

Here is a map, that I hope is big enough -- maps are not my forte. :-) But I did put a red arrow on the map pointing to the home.

But Camalu is approx. 20 miles north of San Quintin and the turnoff is about 3.5 miles north of Camalu. There is an old worn sign that says, El Barco. I believe it is between KM 150-149. It also says, Punta San Jacinto

As you drive toward the ocean, you will first see a church on the north side of the street and then you will see the home in the picture. That one structure is very difficult to miss. I did not see any sign.

Their actual information is:

Casa Hogar Para Ancianos
Rancho Los Amigos A.C.
Ubicado cn Mesa de San Jacinto
Delegacion de Camalu
House phone...616 159 2894
Jose Luis Romero Alva...cell 616 163 3067 wife Angela

Of course, an address is not really of any help.

If you have ANY problems finding it, or with anything, please call our friend Penny --- Mexican cell 616 109-1102. She and her husband live out at the ocean on the same road next to the B & B north of Shipwreck.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU. :yes::yes:

[Edited on 9-29-2014 by DianaT]

Fernweh - 9-29-2014 at 01:30 PM

Thank you, perfect....now I shall find it.

DianaT - 9-29-2014 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fernweh
Thank you, perfect....now I shall find it.

:bounce::bounce::biggrin::bounce::bounce:

Wonderful!

Maron - 9-29-2014 at 09:14 PM

Diana T, Woody with a View

New to the site, don't know how to U2U. Would like to mail a cash donation.
You both sound like great, honorable people. Please respond, teach us to U2U and tell us to whom we should send cash, to help the older folks and the young couple.

God Bless

Ron and Mary Ann
B

woody with a view - 9-29-2014 at 09:23 PM

u2u is on the top right of each page. click it and send your messages. I don't know about cash, maybe Diane can help there.

DianaT - 9-29-2014 at 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maron
Diana T, Woody with a View

New to the site, don't know how to U2U. Would like to mail a cash donation.
You both sound like great, honorable people. Please respond, teach us to U2U and tell us to whom we should send cash, to help the older folks and the young couple.

God Bless

Ron and Mary Ann
B

Ron and Mary Ann,

Thank you. This will take a leap of faith on your part. I have been around here for a while, for better or worse. :biggrin: As you have read in this thread, this home was discovered by our close friends. They, nor does the home have a pay pal account. But cash for food, gas, water, electricity, etc. is very much needed, so here is what one can do if they are willing to trust.

Money can be mailed to us or sent to our pay pal (we will pay any fees) and we will get it to our friends, Penny and Murray for them to use for the home. They would be more than willing to account for every dime.

The way we might get it there is through by sister, Rose, who lives in Costa Brava, Vicente Guerrero, but is more often in the states than are Penny and Murray. She is known to a couple of nomads who don't post often, but will attest to who she is --- one being Irene at Posada Don Diegos in Vicente Guerrero. And my sister is also involved with a home for abused women and their children in that area. https://www.facebook.com/newbeginningsbaja

Cash in any amount would be so appreciated and very well used! The u2us can be a bit confusing --- so my email is trotterjd@hotmail.com

Some donations were sent directly to Penny when she was in the states for a visit, but she is not here very often.

I really hope this works for you! And I hope you can personally visit the home sometime.

Diane

[Edited on 9-30-2014 by DianaT]

DianaT - 9-30-2014 at 08:24 PM

Updates

1. For now, I can put cash donations into Penny's US bank account and she can then put the money into Jose Luis' account in Mexico ---- they really need cash for food, food, food, propane, electricity, etc. They can get pretty cheap water from the ejido

2. Penny and my sister are going to work on setting up a donation fund through New Beginnings, the home for the abused women and their children because they already have their tax status. But this will take some time. And they, along with the founder of New Beginnings and some other local organizations are planning on working to come together for mutual support!

3. In Baja, Male Depends are very expensive --- just another thought.

4. One very tall order that I hope to pursue in one way or another are propane heaters. With the construction of that house, the wind goes right through and it gets cold around there. Any ideas in the area of heating would be greatly appreciated.

And THANK you very much to the people who have contacted us privately --- you help and or visit will be greatly appreciated.

Diane

Fernweh - 10-3-2014 at 07:37 AM

Thank You Diana,

For your help and effort to get me on the right track......

"mission accomplished!"

I will stop by again, on my next trip to La Paz.
Meeting with Jose Luis and seeing his clean sanctuary made me " high on life"

Karl

DianaT - 10-3-2014 at 07:07 PM

Quote:
Thank You Diana,

For your help and effort to get me on the right track......

"mission accomplished!"

I will stop by again, on my next trip to La Paz.
Meeting with Jose Luis and seeing his clean sanctuary made me " high on life"

Karl

Wow and wow. Been on the road the last few days and yesterday, an e-mail from a nomad about a monetary donation coming our way made my day.

And today, Karl, you have made my day! We are so happy you made the decision to take that short detour. I LOVE you description of it making you "high on life". One can only hope to be surrounded by such love at the end of life. It also made Penny's day.

Of course, we hope you will pass this on to other friends. Their needs are and will be ongoing!

Again, thank you and thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts about this special home. :yes::yes::yes:

DianaT - 10-8-2014 at 01:39 PM

Ron and Mary Ann --- THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Poco a poco, donations are coming and are so very needed.

DianaT - 10-21-2014 at 08:25 PM

Just a quick update for those who have expressed interest, and of course, to maybe find more interest :-)

Our friend, Penny met with the local Delegado, he came to visit the home, and he has promised help. First of all, he is going to help Jose Luis complete the paperwork for some government help. And so far, because of his visit, one of the local big berry corporations donated some used, but very useable kitchen cabinets and counter tops which our friend Murray is going to help install. Such a good thing.

And a nomad is offering help with getting a garden going and possibly a chicken coop, another great thing as the gentlemen who are still able can help with these things.

So besides promised and WELL needed donations in all areas, maybe some of us can help fill up the new cupboards with food staples --- Costco and Smart and Final have so many inexpensive LARGE number 10 cans of food, and of course, the bags of rice and beans.

Recently another of the gentlemen who was quite ill succumbed to pneumonia --- and again while sad, it is also wonderful that he was surrounded by such love and care in his last days. And quickly, there are more needing this care.

Thank you

Maron - 10-21-2014 at 09:14 PM

may the support continue, we will try and send more $$ next month.

Thanks to all that help however they can

Ron and Mary Ann

DianaT - 10-22-2014 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maron
may the support continue, we will try and send more $$ next month.

Thanks to all that help however they can

Ron and Mary Ann

And another electric bill can be paid, more food, etc. and that will again be a very good thing!

danaeb - 10-23-2014 at 07:26 AM

If anyone will be in, or passing through San Diego on their way south, I can donate food (large quantites from Costco). I'm in North Park, just off 805 at University exit.

DianaT - 10-23-2014 at 10:09 AM

It is a very good morning. We received an e-mail from someone who is going to shop in Ensenada for the men --- a very good thing.

And NOW

Quote:
If anyone will be in, or passing through San Diego on their way south, I can donate food (large quantites from Costco). I'm in North Park, just off 805 at University exit.

Your previous donation was so appreciated and now this is wonderful.

I sure hope someone will be able to help out with this delivery?? I will also check some other places for possible delivery.

If someone is willing to pick up the food, it can either be delivered directly to the home, or our friends will very excitedly meet you on the highway.

THANK YOU! :bounce::bounce:

Fernweh - 10-23-2014 at 10:20 AM

I am planning doing a food supply run this Sunday.....
Crossing at San Ysidro approx 7:30 AM.

Karl

DianaT - 10-23-2014 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
I am planning doing a food supply run this Sunday.....
Crossing at San Ysidro approx 7:30 AM.

Karl

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Karl, that is FANTASTIC ---

The person who e-mailed and is going next week, asked me to ask Penny if there was anything specific they really needed, and I won't overwhelm anyone with her list. :biggrin: Food and toiletries disappear in a hurry with 12 adults and one child!

I am so happy you stopped by the home on your way north and saw what it is all about. :yes::yes: :saint::yes:

Fernweh - 10-23-2014 at 03:03 PM

We had contacted Jose Luis a few days ago:

Me dijo que no necesita ropa, solo requiere calzado masculino del numero 7/8 mexicano, 5 pares de zapatos es bueno. Cobijas no necesitan. El aspecto que es mas importante cubrir es la despensa: él dice que necesita arroz, frijol, papas, muchas latas de verduras y todos aquellos alimentos que están enlatados. También les es de utilidad shampoo, pañal de adulto talla mediana y artículos de limpieza para el piso. En lo general, estas son las necesidades básicas de el albergue, lo demás ya está cubierto.

as per Google:

He said he does not need clothes, men's shoes requires only the number 7-8 Mexican, 5 pairs of shoes is good. Blankets do not need. The most important aspect that is covered is the pantry: he says he needs rice, beans, potatoes, vegetables and many cans of all foods that are canned. I also shampoo is useful, adult diaper size medium and cleaning to the floor. In general, these are the basic needs of shelter, everything else is already covered.

DianaT - 10-23-2014 at 03:59 PM

Quote:
We had contacted Jose Luis a few days ago:

Me dijo que no necesita ropa, solo requiere calzado masculino del numero 7/8 mexicano, 5 pares de zapatos es bueno. Cobijas no necesitan. El aspecto que es mas importante cubrir es la despensa: él dice que necesita arroz, frijol, papas, muchas latas de verduras y todos aquellos alimentos que están enlatados. También les es de utilidad shampoo, pañal de adulto talla mediana y artículos de limpieza para el piso. En lo general, estas son las necesidades básicas de el albergue, lo demás ya está cubierto.

as per Google:

He said he does not need clothes, men's shoes requires only the number 7-8 Mexican, 5 pairs of shoes is good. Blankets do not need. The most important aspect that is covered is the pantry: he says he needs rice, beans, potatoes, vegetables and many cans of all foods that are canned. I also shampoo is useful, adult diaper size medium and cleaning to the floor. In general, these are the basic needs of shelter, everything else is already covered.

Yes, food and toiletries are needed the most and are the priority along with more shoes. But Jose Luis is a bit too humble .......... :yes: And again, THANK YOU. THANK YOU

On edit, I just found out that besides the other clothing donations that have been received, the local Delegado was able to get blankets and more clothes for them! I am so glad that my friend went and got the Delegado involved!

So consumables are definitely the priority as they don't last.

[Edited on 10-23-2014 by DianaT]

DianaT - 10-23-2014 at 06:31 PM

Today my friend Penny took a picture of some of the cabinets that came from Driscolls, thanks to the Delegado Penny has involved. Very nice cabinets that now need to be filled with food and other staples There is also a picture of Jose Luis, Angela and their daughter, and a group picture of the care takers and the gentlemen. The tall man in the back is Murray, Penny's husband who just helped Jose Luis hang those cupboards.

[URL=http://s19.photobucket.com/user/jdtrotter/media/20141023_153149-2_zpsace87ccf.jpg.html]

[/URL]

Anyone headed down who can help deliver more food?

Quote:

THANKS

Maron - 10-23-2014 at 09:32 PM

Again, may the great Karma shower all who are helping.

God bless the care givers.

DianaT - 10-23-2014 at 09:33 PM

:bounce::bounce::bounce::biggrin::bounce::bounce:

A ride for the Costco food from Dana has been found!

Karl, you have a WONDERFUL day.

Edited to thank the correct person --- those K names are just so confusing. :saint:

[Edited on 10-24-2014 by DianaT]

Genecag - 10-24-2014 at 09:46 AM

We will be going down to la paz and will be stopping by to deliver some goods next Thursday or Friday.

DianaT - 10-24-2014 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Genecag
We will be going down to la paz and will be stopping by to deliver some goods next Thursday or Friday.

And I read that you are also taking donations for Blanca --- how wonderful, and thank you, thank you.

If possible, and if it is okay, Penny really likes to meet the people who are donating, so if that is okay, please let me know via U2U or e-mail as to when you will be going.
trotterjd@hotmail.com

Then again, if you just want to do this on your own, that is also okay. She gets really excited about donations as they have all become her grandpas!

DianaT - 1-27-2015 at 01:39 PM

Because a nomad contacted me and is going to deliver some food soon, I thought it was time to bump this thread up so those headed south don't forget --- please remember, every little bit of food helps!

Penny is back home in Baja and all is going well. There is a new caretaker and Jose Luis really needed to spend more time with his young family. But Penny says the new caretaker is great.

And the doctor from town that Penny recruited is still donating his time to visit the men once a week.

For direct contact, do e-mail Penny. freelandib222@live.com

She loves to meet everyone and thank them, and if anyone prefers to have the thanks not be public, that is okay.

Just a few big Costco cans help --- so on your way south, PLEASE drop by. Every one who had stopped there so far has been glad they did.

Thank you ---- On edit, Penny is working to have a facebook page for this home --- a good thing.

[Edited on 1-27-2015 by DianaT]

jbcoug - 1-27-2015 at 03:01 PM

Thanks Diana for bumping this thread back up. I will be coming through about the fourth or fifth of Feb. and dropping some things off. I knew I could find it, but I hadn't been able to find this thread again so wasn't sure of exact location. I just made a Costco run yesterday and can't wait to visit. This is such a great cause. Thanks again for brining them to our attention!

DianaT - 1-27-2015 at 03:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jbcoug  
Thanks Diana for bumping this thread back up. I will be coming through about the fourth or fifth of Feb. and dropping some things off. I knew I could find it, but I hadn't been able to find this thread again so wasn't sure of exact location. I just made a Costco run yesterday and can't wait to visit. This is such a great cause. Thanks again for brining them to our attention!

That is fantastic! If you can and if you want to meet Penny, please e-mail her at freelandib222@live.com. I put it here again because I did not make the one in the above post a link. :-)

And for everyone, there is always someone there, so just stopping and leaving items is good at any time, any day.

With the new sign, it is really easy to find.

They are working on building a chicken coop which will be a great addition --- fresh eggs.

THANKS again! :yes::yes:

On edit --- I forgot, a picture of the new sign in not in this thread

People from New Beginnings in Vicente Guerrero helped with this addition.

[Edited on 1-27-2015 by DianaT]

CaboMagic - 1-27-2015 at 07:35 PM

Clicking the LIKE button :-)
and a Bravo too Diana and Peggy and everyone who finds it in their hearts to do something .. anything ... L

Fernweh - 1-27-2015 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
Clicking the LIKE button :-)
and a Bravo too Diana and Peggy and everyone who finds it in their hearts to do something .. anything ... L

Clicking the "Like" is very nice, but I would rather click a Paypal button.....

I have been in La Paz since November and would have liked to send some money to the elderly men for Christmas, but Penny does not want to get involved with money.
You have to find a way, to make that happen. A click of a Paypal button is much easier, than doing a turn at the new sign. especially for those Nomads, which rarely are crossing the border lately.

Karl

woody with a view - 1-27-2015 at 07:47 PM

or try crowdfunding....

DianaT - 1-27-2015 at 07:52 PM

Karl,
I will continue to work on Penny. I know I had to wait until she was back in the states visiting her mother to send her a check. I have deposited funds for others into her account, but there is not a branch of her bank near here. I had to wait until we made one of our regular trips to Reno. I will give this more and more thought!

Woody, I have never heard of crowdfunding, but I will check it out! Thanks. I am guessing it is like go fund it. I have contributed to go fund it causes, but I need to check how they work.

[Edited on 1-28-2015 by DianaT]

BajaBlanca - 1-28-2015 at 08:39 AM

Does she have an account in Mexico Diana?

DianaT - 1-28-2015 at 08:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Does she have an account in Mexico Diana?

No, unfortunately.

We have been on the road all day, so I will now share these comments with Penny.

Blanca, before you said you had a short video of the home from when you were there? I would love to see it!

DianaT - 1-29-2015 at 05:49 PM

Penny and Murray just are not comfortable with setting up a pay-pal account and they do not have a Mexican account. I can understand their concerns.

I did deposit funds into her US account for someone else, but sometimes it takes time. We are usually in the Carson City area where the branch of her back is about every 6 weeks or so. The list of doctors we see is growing with age.

Now in person, that is different. A nomad on his way south stopped by there today and left a very, very generous cash donation. I only know the amount and the first name, but I won't publish it without that nomad's permission.

We do enjoy it when someone posts that they have been there and tells their first hand impression of the place and the people involved. However, that is a choice and I understand. Meantime

THANK YOU, THANK YOU. As one can imagine, they go through food rapidly --- lots of mouths to feed and since the doctor is seeing them once a week, they are healthier.

And remember there is no such thing as a small donation --- EVERYTHING counts. :bounce::bounce:

dtbushpilot - 1-30-2015 at 06:36 PM

Thank you for letting us know about this place Diana, Penny and Murray are doing God's work. I strongly encourage anybody traveling north or south to stop by and visit, it's only a short detour.

It would really be something if they had a Facebook page with a paypal link for donations. If someone there posted pictures and updates from time to time they would get a lot of help. I know they aren't computer people but perhaps a local high school kid could help them out. It probably wouldn't take much.

DianaT - 1-30-2015 at 07:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
Thank you for letting us know about this place Diana, Penny and Murray are doing God's work. I strongly encourage anybody traveling north or south to stop by and visit, it's only a short detour.

It would really be something if they had a Facebook page with a paypal link for donations. If someone there posted pictures and updates from time to time they would get a lot of help. I know they aren't computer people but perhaps a local high school kid could help them out. It probably wouldn't take much.

Well, the mystery Dave appears! THANKS food shopping going on!

BajaGringo is going to help them with the facebook page and we hope to get down soon to help to take more photos --- although Penny has several and I know BajaBlanca took a video I hope to see and maybe they can use that.

Penny will be able to post updates and hopefully, others will post updates. And believe me, I will let everyone know about the facebook page.

Dave, they are just not comfortable with the paypal idea. However, we are looking at maybe a way to get cash donations thru New Beginnings in Vicente Guerrero ( home for abused women and children with which my sister is involved. ) We will see --- I will continue to work on it.

It was not so long ago Penny and Murray found this place, and it is a continuing work in progress. It is really great that you posted and encouraged others to visit, see the home, meet the gentlemen, the caretakers and Penny and Murray. THANK YOU and THANK YOU

This is such an ongoing project! And we so very much THANK everyone from nomads who has donated ANYTHING and who has stopped by. I have not heard from anyone who is sorry they did!

[Edited on 1-31-2015 by DianaT]

DianaT - 2-7-2015 at 09:24 PM

Latest update for the beginning of Feb.

John (jbcoug ) delievered a donation and Penny really enjoyed meeting him as did all the gentlemen. THANK YOU John, and I hope you will post some of the pictures you took! And it is good to hear you continued on to deliver donations to Blanca --- GREAT going.

Two possible cash donations may be on their way to me --- and yes, they will end up with Penny and used for the home.

Another nomad will be there this week.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you all. All the help that has come from nomads has really made a difference in the lives of these men.

Keep it up! :bounce::bounce:

DianaT - 2-8-2015 at 06:15 PM

Another secret donor! Mark, who ever you are, we all say a big thank you!

Still hoping for Blanca's video and other pictures taken by the wonderful donors.

BajaGringo - 2-18-2015 at 05:21 PM

For those of you on facebook...

Casa Hogar de Ancianos

DianaT - 2-18-2015 at 08:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
For those of you on facebook...

Casa Hogar de Ancianos

Yes, and it is a work in progress --- it is a beginning! And please, anyone who wishes to do so, please add comments about your visit to the home, and of course, pictures.

So far about a dozen plus Nomads have responded and provided assistance for this home --- and each and every one of you are so appreciated. Penny has loved meeting several of you, and I have loved hearing the feedback from you about Penny and Murray and what they are doing! They are special people. Keep it going, PLEASE.

And please remember, there is no such thing as a donation too small!

More on the facebook page later.