BajaNomad

Mercado Negra in Ensenada

woody with a view - 8-17-2014 at 12:29 PM

we'll be passing by next weekend and want to grab some jumbo shrimp and maybe something for the grill. in the past it has been hit or miss as to the quality of what they offer. sometimes it smells like bleach and sometimes it's fresh.

so my question/theory is this: is it best to buy first thing in the morning? maybe they are trying to sell what didn't sell yesterday first and the quality lacks. or is it better to get there mid morning after the old stock has been sold.

or am i over thinking it?

greengoes - 8-17-2014 at 12:32 PM

Don't fret about it. Given the opportunity they can always find some old shrimp for gringos. They also have a steady stock of teeny, teeny shrimp for the bottom of the bag.

Bob H - 8-17-2014 at 12:35 PM

Ya gotta watch for the "switcheroo"! We saw some beautiful lobsters, alive and moving, there once. We said we want two of them. The guy grabbed them, then made a switch when bagging them as he turned his back to us! They were a bit nasty when we went to make them up.

I hear they sometimes do the same with shrimp, etc.

Trust but verify

bajaguy - 8-17-2014 at 12:41 PM

Woody.....make sure you are getting what you see (and paid for). Don't take anything from under the counter. Before you pay, look, smell and touch what they give you.

woody with a view - 8-17-2014 at 12:48 PM

i always let them bag it then i untie the knot and have a look/smell. the bleach seems to concentrate in the bag more than in the open air. it's funny that while wanting to pay their asking price they try to screw you on occasion...

bajaguy - 8-17-2014 at 01:51 PM

And they will also go under the counter to get your fish!!

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i always let them bag it then i untie the knot and have a look/smell. the bleach seems to concentrate in the bag more than in the open air. it's funny that while wanting to pay their asking price they try to screw you on occasion...

Russ - 8-17-2014 at 02:13 PM

Sounds like a place to stay away from to me. There has to be a fresh sea food market other than the one you're referring to that doesn't cheat tourist. ??

woody with a view - 8-17-2014 at 02:15 PM

yeah, i could just bring something from an "A" rated fish market here in town, but what kind of adventure is that?

durrelllrobert - 8-17-2014 at 03:50 PM

Try Kennedy's fish market on the dirt road that parallels the big curve as you leave Manedero. They only sell fresh fish and shrimp unlike the Black Market guys.

Vendor

bajaguy - 8-17-2014 at 03:54 PM

My foodie source says the first person/booth on the left as you enter the Mercado Negra, inside the building......working on better info/directions

DENNIS - 8-17-2014 at 04:46 PM

Don't even go near the Black Market. It's not worth the gamble.
I once bought some filets there and as the kid was bagging them, I saw out of the corner of my eye, his hand go beneath his counter, pulling it back quickly and throwing something into my bag. It turned out to be a big bone...looked like a knuckle of a freakin' cow. I know it didn't come out of a fish.

Take Bob's suggestion about Kennedy's.

woody with a view - 8-17-2014 at 05:33 PM

i once bought a whole Dorado. when i got it home one side looked like it had been thru a grinder. the other side was good tho!:lol:

where is Kennedy's? turn off following the signs or the turn before?

nandopedal - 8-17-2014 at 05:50 PM

Hi Woddy, stop at Popotla, there is nothing under the table (Open air market).

DENNIS - 8-17-2014 at 06:37 PM

Quote:

The Kennedys are a big family. The fish market is at the south end of Maneadero on the dirt frontage road right next to Hwy 1.
If you get to the propane distributor, you went too far.....Las Cañadas, much too far.
At the south end of town, just pull over and ask somebody. They should know.

paul r - 8-17-2014 at 06:46 PM

... hi gang, I might be making a mistake, but here goes, woody and gang, the best seafood market in the world is de gados (sp?),down the side parking lot of santo tomas wine barn in ensenada. they are the most professional, kind people filleting fish!... the best fresh fish being currently caught, oysters from either san quintin, or guerro negro, depending on the season, shrimp, different sizes, fresh veggies, here's a hoot, a select smatting of trader joes produces,... I could go on and on!!!... this place is where, ALL the people in the know shop!!... if your a foodie, right next door is the bakery that will cause you to readjust your life!!!!... if you enjoy good, fresh food , you'll find it...be kind, patience, and show respect, they are good friends ... oh!... never buy anything at the black hole!!!!

durrelllrobert - 8-17-2014 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
i once bought a whole Dorado. when i got it home one side looked like it had been thru a grinder. the other side was good tho!:lol:

JUST AS YOU START INTO THE TURN BEFORE THE HARDWARE/ LUMBER COMPANY. GO OFF TO THE DIRT ON THE RIGHT.

bajadock - 8-17-2014 at 07:13 PM

Paul R's reference is
Pescaderia De Garo

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by bajadock]

DENNIS - 8-17-2014 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
JUST AS YOU START INTO THE TURN BEFORE THE HARDWARE/ LUMBER COMPANY. GO OFF TO THE DIRT ON THE RIGHT.

The lumber company, Los Flemate, is on the east side of Hwy 1.
Fish market is across the highway.

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by DENNIS]

bajabound2005 - 8-17-2014 at 10:30 PM

go past the mercado negro (same road) to captain cortez. they have a parking lot in the back, well marked. you'll pay a little more but it will be fresh and edible.

as for Kennedy's...it's OK. the shrimp are "shrimpy" as in small and quite dirty....IMHO.

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by bajabound2005]

bajabound2005 - 8-17-2014 at 10:33 PM

that would be De Garo, and yes, it's excellent. you have to get there early because when the fish is gone, he closes. as far as shrimp goes, though.......i think it's not "local".

Quote:
Originally posted by paul r
... hi gang, I might be making a mistake, but here goes, woody and gang, the best seafood market in the world is de gados (sp?),down the side parking lot of santo tomas wine barn in ensenada. they are the most professional, kind people filleting fish!... the best fresh fish being currently caught, oysters from either san quintin, or guerro negro, depending on the season, shrimp, different sizes, fresh veggies, here's a hoot, a select smatting of trader joes produces,... I could go on and on!!!... this place is where, ALL the people in the know shop!!... if your a foodie, right next door is the bakery that will cause you to readjust your life!!!!... if you enjoy good, fresh food , you'll find it...be kind, patience, and show respect, they are good friends ... oh!... never buy anything at the black hole!!!!

bajabound2005 - 8-17-2014 at 10:35 PM

You want good fresh shrimp in ENS? you have to catch the shrimp truck in back of home depot/walmart on pedro loyola. He's usually there Thurs-Sun. He has the BEST shrimp i've ever been able to obtain in ENS.

woody with a view - 8-18-2014 at 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock

Paul R's reference is
Pescaderia De Garo

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by bajadock]

any other landmarks BEFORE Kennedy's. something like "when you see the XXXXX start to pull over." if I miss it I doubt i'll turn around.

DENNIS - 8-18-2014 at 06:47 AM

Not much that comes to mind. [hey...it's Maneadero]
When you're traveling south through the middle of town on the straight road, Hwy 1, you come to a left bend in the road at the south end and continue south. You can see the bend in the road far in advance. If you travel through that bend with Los Flemate lumber yard on your left, you went just a bit too far. Flemate is on the bend....in the middle of it.
Once you do it, you'll say, "Ohh yeah....now I know." :light:
There's a signal or two on ahead, so if you have to turn around, it's not a big problem.

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by DENNIS]

Shrimps

bajaguy - 8-18-2014 at 07:06 AM

The easiest to find driving through town would be the shrimp truck on Pedro Loyola just north of Wal-Mart

bajadock - 8-18-2014 at 07:29 AM

Looks like the curve sign thingy is your big landmark in South Man', Woody.

Thanks for the Pedro Loyola shrimp truck referral. Never tried him.

DENNIS - 8-18-2014 at 07:46 AM

OK...there ya go, Woody. No excuse now. Just look for the giant fluorescent arrow on top the fish store. :lol:

woody with a view - 8-18-2014 at 08:41 AM

Thanks. i'll check it out, mang!

DanO - 8-18-2014 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
The easiest to find driving through town would be the shrimp truck on Pedro Loyola just north of Wal-Mart

Ditto this and BB2005's endorsement. Freshest I've been able to find, and parking's never a problem.

DavidT - 8-18-2014 at 01:23 PM

Going south Kennedy's is just after the Tecate sign. :yes:

woody with a view - 8-18-2014 at 01:56 PM

near the Uruapan tamale place right at the top of the hill? or am I in the wrong part of Maneadero?

Bob H - 8-18-2014 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
You want good fresh shrimp in ENS? you have to catch the shrimp truck in back of home depot/walmart on pedro loyola. He's usually there Thurs-Sun. He has the BEST shrimp i've ever been able to obtain in ENS.

Fresh RAW shrimp, right?

DENNIS - 8-18-2014 at 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:

Fresh RAW shrimp, right?

Yes.

woody with a view - 8-18-2014 at 02:19 PM

yes, I'm aware that the non-fresh stuff gets cooked to kill the bacteria ;) and sold......

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by woody with a view]

Bob H - 8-18-2014 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Quote:

Fresh RAW shrimp, right?

Yes.

Great! What are his prices?

DENNIS - 8-18-2014 at 02:26 PM

Quote:

Don't know. Haven't stopped by there yet.

durrelllrobert - 8-18-2014 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I asked him the price once and also if they were from San Felipe. Forgot the price but it seemed a lot higher then Kennedy's or Jesse and Son's and the answer was "No", he drove them from Puerto Penasco in Sonora which is about an 8 hour drive.

DanO - 8-18-2014 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Quote:

I asked him the price once and also if they were from San Felipe. Forgot the price but it seemed a lot higher then Kennedy's or Jesse and Son's and the answer was "No", he drove them from Puerto Penasco in Sonora which is about an 8 hour drive.

Prices escalate as you go up in size. Not as cheap as the Mercado Negro, but as they say, you get what you pay for.

DENNIS - 8-18-2014 at 04:28 PM

Jumbo Shrimp cost a lotta dinero.

woody with a view - 8-18-2014 at 05:40 PM

but you only need a handful!

Howard - 8-18-2014 at 05:55 PM

Oxymarooon: Jumbo Shrimp

sancho - 8-19-2014 at 09:13 AM

OP, wasn't it you that, in the past, posted pics of some slug
spotfins out of the surf somewhere n. of GN? Do you eat
those? Have heard of big white sea bass taken on squid
out of the surf in that area. The Ens Harbor Fish Mkt has been
there for decades, do they only take advantage of P-nche
Gringos?

Sancho

woody with a view - 8-19-2014 at 09:44 AM

I'm not going that far this trip. surf is blocked by Vizcaino peninsula this time of year. These Spotfin were caught with Pismo clam in 2 feet of water near GN.

anyone heard from Baitcast lately?

[Edited on 8-19-2014 by woody with a view]

[Edited on 8-19-2014 by BajaNomad]

durrelllrobert - 8-19-2014 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
I'm not going that far this trip. surf is blocked by Vizcaino peninsula this time of year. These Spotfin were caught with Pismo clam in 2 feet of water near GN.

anyone heard from Baitcast lately?

[Edited on 8-19-2014 by woody with a view]

Why is the bait you used cropped out of picture?

[Edited on 8-19-2014 by BajaNomad]

woody with a view - 8-19-2014 at 12:06 PM

I don't get it?;D

mojo_norte - 8-19-2014 at 06:34 PM

Why is the pole you used cropped out of the picture ?

Tomas Tierra - 8-21-2014 at 07:06 AM

I get it.. Hahahah! Worm bait

baconjr - 8-24-2014 at 07:30 PM

Last time I shopped at Mercado Negro I bought some jumbo shrimp (not really, but that's what was advertized) They threw in a few jumbo and the rest was tiny and old. I will avoid that market again.

dasubergeek - 8-24-2014 at 09:40 PM

I just call Mariscos El Pizón and ask them to get it for me. NO-body scrooz him. NO. BODY.