BajaNomad

What?? Montezuma's Revenge AGAIN???

Pages:  1  

EnsenadaDr - 8-29-2014 at 08:33 AM

As I am reviewing Facebook messages, it seems Montezuma's Revenge has taken a hold of the Baja Community. While studying for the US Medical Boards I discovered and want to share a little secret. Bismuth Salicylate, the active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol, has been touted by U.S. Doctors just as recent as this year as the most all around best remedy for gastrointestinal problems. It is an intestinal antiseptic, and coats the stomach and intestinal tract, helping with diarrhea and nausea better than any other single remedy. When I worked as a physician in Cantu, people came to me that had diarrhea for weeks. I gave them the generic clinic Bismuth Salicylate, and told them to take two capfuls after each diarrhea movement, until it stopped. Not one came back to me with the same problem. Antibiotics can actually kill the natural intestinal flora and cause more problems.

And now for my joke. A group of parents were asked what they would do if they found out their son was a Homo Sapien. 70% of the parents said they would throw him out of the house.

So much for an educated world. As we all know, laughter is the best medicine!! (And if you remember that saying from Reader's Digest, you are older than you want to admit!)

Salud!

Dra Janene

[Edited on 8-29-2014 by EnsenadaDr]

greengoes - 8-29-2014 at 08:57 AM

....it seems Montezuma's Revenge has taken a hold of the Baja Community.....

Maybe it is all the amateur gringo food vendors in that area spreading it.

Friday at the "Open Air Food Market" YO NO VOY!!!!

DianaT - 8-29-2014 at 09:07 AM

Any of the pepto type products are far more expensive in Baja than in the the US and there is a big difference in taste. If you want to use Pepto, maybe take it with you from the US.

And do be careful and it can be very hard on your kidneys. I am not a doctor, but have had that warning given to us by doctors.

EnsenadaDr - 8-29-2014 at 09:12 AM

Well Diana maybe where you are but in the Rosarito and Ensenada areas they sell Pepto in regular and cherry flavor which is my personal favorite. It runs about $50 pesos for the bottle which is a small price to pay for relief. Now the generic salicilato bismuto that they sell in Farmacias Similares is very cheap and doesn't taste fantastic but it is palatable.

DianaT - 8-29-2014 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
As I am reviewing Facebook messages, it seems Montezuma's Revenge has taken a hold of the Baja Community. While studying for the US Medical Boards I discovered and want to share a little secret. Bismuth Salicylate, the active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol, has been touted by U.S. Doctors just as recent as this year as the most all around best remedy for gastrointestinal problems. It is an intestinal antiseptic, and coats the stomach and intestinal tract, helping with diarrhea and nausea better than any other single remedy. When I worked as a physician in Cantu, people came to me that had diarrhea for weeks. I gave them the generic clinic Bismuth Salicylate, and told them to take two capfuls after each diarrhea movement, until it stopped. Not one came back to me with the same problem. Antibiotics can actually kill the natural intestinal flora and cause more problems.

And now for my joke. A group of parents were asked what they would do if they found out their son was a Homo Sapien. 70% of the parents said they would throw him out of the house.

So much for an educated world. As we all know, laughter is the best medicine!! (And if you remember that saying from Reader's Digest, you are older than you want to admit!)

Salud!

Dra Janene

I try hard to ignore your dime store medical advice over the internet, but this one is really irritating. IMHO, you are rather dangerous.

Yes, Pepto can cure SOME upsets, but it depends on the what is causing the upset--- what organism and sometimes it has to be cultured to find out for sure.

Sometimes antibiotics are really important as well as other treatments. And any one over the age of 13 who does not know that when one is on antibiotics they need to eat the different yogurts etc to replace the good flora has never been to a good doctor.

We, as have many others around here, have traveled all over Mexico and to other countries where we have encountered Montezuma's Revenge, including a couple of restaurants in the USA and a cousin's wedding. It is always different and sometimes a little Pepto does the job, but it does NOT take the place of other treatments for different types of upsets.

The worst I experienced was some bad pork in Peru and the worst John ever faced was from raw oysters in San Blas, and both required doctors and more than Pepto. Some upsets Pepto will work, but one needs to not solely depend upon it. Very short term use --- and watch the kidneys.

Probably good advice for anywhere, is look for where the locals are eating. If it is meal time and there is no line at a certain taco stand, run the other way.

If you are going to offer medical advice, please think about offering the side-effects, the dangerous and limitations.

Now, time to leave to avoid the flame thrower. :yes:

[Edited on 8-29-2014 by DianaT]

EnsenadaDr - 8-29-2014 at 10:11 AM

You know what Diana, I have a medical degree and license in Mexico. So just because you don't like my comments concerning the shabby investigation of this disappearance, it gives you no reason to insult my education and experience and call it dime store. This statement came directly out of the United States Medical Licensing Board questions and answers. On the contrary you and your friends give medical advice here without the credentials and I would say that is "peso" advice. The US Medical board advises to start with Pepto Bismol and if it is continuing more than 24 hours to go for more serious treatment. Most gastric irritation is caused by eating in excess and drinking alcohol in excess so a stool culture is not warranted immediately and prescribing antibiotics is dangerous and can kill helpful bacteria. Now if you want to give medical advice I suggest you quote your sources. Did I say take Pepto Bismol in place of other treatments when warranted? It appears your comprehension of the written word and interpretation leaves much to be desired.
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
I try hard to ignore your dime store medical advice over the internet, but this one is really irritating. IMHO, you are rather dangerous.

Yes, Pepto can cure SOME upsets, but it depends on the what is causing the upset--- what organism and sometimes it has to be cultured to find out for sure.

Sometimes antibiotics are really important as well as other treatments. And any one over the age of 13 who does not know that when one is on antibiotics they need to eat the different yogurts etc to replace the good flora has never been to a good doctor.

We, as have many others around here, have traveled all over Mexico and to other countries where we have encountered Montezuma's Revenge, including a couple of restaurants in the USA and a cousin's wedding. It is always different and sometimes a little Pepto does the job, but it does NOT take the place of other treatments for different types of upsets.

The worst I experienced was some bad pork in Peru and the worst John ever faced was from raw oysters in San Blas, and both required doctors and more than Pepto. Some upsets Pepto will work, but one needs to not solely depend upon it. Very short term use --- and watch the kidneys.

Probably good advice for anywhere, is look for where the locals are eating. If it is meal time and there is no line at a certain taco stand, run the other way.

If you are going to offer medical advice, please think about offering the side-effects, the dangerous and limitations.

Now, time to leave to avoid the flame thrower. :yes:

desertcpl - 8-29-2014 at 10:12 AM

YUK

Mulegena - 8-29-2014 at 10:25 AM

Diarrhea can also be a symptom of an underlying disease such as colon or intestinal cancer. The body attempts to remove impacted fecal matter by releasing liquid into the intestines, hence causing the diarrhea. An x-ray can aid in detection.

What are the statistics in Baja and/or Baja Sur/Mexico at large for routine colonoscopies as part of preventive care? The demographics?

edited for grammatical clarity

[Edited on 8-29-2014 by Mulegena]

Feathers - 8-29-2014 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Vergel
Your joke is uncalled for and damages any reputation a medical professional would have. What was the intent? I ask that you edit your post and delete information that shows racism, bigotry and a closed mind. Further, there are good and bad in everything, including health care professionals. Your "joke" was in poor taste and may show how you have used a credential to ascertain "laughter" and more importantly, age.

You're joking, right??? :lol:

bajabuddha - 8-29-2014 at 10:41 AM

(don't look now, but your epidermis is showing) :spingrin:

bajabuddha - 8-29-2014 at 10:58 AM

Getting back to topic, I was told by my REAL doctor that pepto is the best simple solution for the Hershey Squirts for short-term control, i.e. you're travelling and need to control the frequency; but it's not a cure, and any anti-diarrhea medicine that slows the lower tract just turns your tummy into a petri dish where the bugs can keep growing. The answer for getting over a case of the Revenge was simply "the solution for pollution is dilution"; keeping well-hydrated and replenishing electolytes, such as good-old chicken soup (broth) and/or Pedia-Lite, and letting it run it's course (no pun intended). However, as mentioned above, a BAD case can mean a lot of things from amoebic dysentery to colitis, Crohn's Disease (sp?) or a host of other maladies where medical intervention is necessary.

willardguy - 8-29-2014 at 11:04 AM

say you're on vacation and won't tolerate any down time.

pepto bismol
tequila blanco
fresh squeezed lime
splash of grand marnier

back in business! :light:

DianaT - 8-29-2014 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
say you're on vacation and won't tolerate any down time.

pepto bismol
tequila blanco
fresh squeezed lime
splash of grand marnier

back in business! :light:

Now that is enough to empty the contents of one's stomach--:lol::lol::lol:

mtgoat666 - 8-29-2014 at 11:34 AM

so next time we eat a bad fish taco and get some squirts, we can follow la doctora's advice to reach for the pepto bismal -- or follow diana's and mulegena's advice and take a bottle of antibiotics and get a colonoscopy each time we get squirty...

i think i'll start with the pepto before i follow diana's and mulegena's advice!

by the way, my frequency of getting sick in restaurants is higher in san diego than baja,... san diego aint that clean, even the "A" carded restaurants can serve a bad plate!

bajajudy - 8-29-2014 at 01:04 PM

There are two items I always have for my guests
Pepto chewables....chew one after each incident, not to exceed 4. I bought these here and don't recall their being expensive
Electro-lites...I like the coco flavor. Drink lotsa water...I am sure that I don't have to say...good water.
I have never had a guest sick for more than a day.

Years ago a Dr. told me to chew one tablet every morning when I was in Mexico.

EnsenadaDr - 8-29-2014 at 01:10 PM

The advice and information given on this board about ischemic vs. hemorrhagic strokes was downright deadly. Unless the person is a licensed professional I would take their comments with a grain of salt. Yet there are always people out there that want to play doctor, often at others' expense.

DENNIS - 8-29-2014 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
pepto is the best simple solution for the Hershey Squirts

A sign on the wall in a Pediatric ward:

"If you don't eat....you don't sheit."

A big saving on diaper expenses.

EnsenadaDr - 8-29-2014 at 01:18 PM

DENNIS between your obsession with underwear and diapers, I would swear you are a scatologist.

DianaT - 8-29-2014 at 01:59 PM

Quote:
Getting back to topic, I was told by my REAL doctor that pepto is the best simple solution for the Hershey Squirts for short-term control, i.e. you're travelling and need to control the frequency; but it's not a cure, and any anti-diarrhea medicine that slows the lower tract just turns your tummy into a petri dish where the bugs can keep growing. The answer for getting over a case of the Revenge was simply "the solution for pollution is dilution"; keeping well-hydrated and replenishing electolytes, such as good-old chicken soup (broth) and/or Pedia-Lite, and letting it run it's course (no pun intended). However, as mentioned above, a BAD case can mean a lot of things from amoebic dysentery to colitis, Crohn's Disease (sp?) or a host of other maladies where medical intervention is necessary.

:yes::yes:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2014/chapter-2-the-pr...

As some of you can read, Traveler's Diarrhea also known by some as Montezuma's Revenge is very often not a simple upset. Pepto can fix the simple and be detrimental to the not so simple even if needed for something like a long bus ride. --

bajabuddha - 8-29-2014 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
The advice and information given on this board about ischemic vs. hemorrhagic strokes was downright deadly. Unless the person is a licensed professional I would take their comments with a grain of salt. Yet there are always people out there that want to play doctor, often at others' expense.

Well, good! And YOU can have their death certificates pre-signed and in order for easy shipping and handling, pre-paid, of course........:smug:

Lee - 8-29-2014 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
You know what Diana, I have a medical degree and license in Mexico. So just because you don't like my comments concerning the shabby investigation of this disappearance, it gives you no reason to insult my education and experience and call it dime store.

Sometimes, Janene, your opinion comes across as trolling and dime store.

You create threads on health, make Reader's Digest comments, get defensive when your opinions are questioned, then trot out your curricula vitae.

Your intentions are well intentioned, I'm sure, bless your little heart. Why don't you try being a Nomad, first, like the rest here?

EnsenadaDr - 8-29-2014 at 02:15 PM

You know Buddha you are bordering on defamation here. I don't presign death certificates but you are giving out deadly and grossly incorrect information and could definitely kill a fellow Nomad with your advice. Please stop playing resident doctor at others' expense.
Quote:
Quote:

Well, good! And YOU can have their death certificates pre-signed and in order for easy shipping and handling, pre-paid, of course........:smug:

Lee - 8-29-2014 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
You know Buddha you are bordering on defamation here. I don't presign death certificates but you are giving out deadly and grossly incorrect information and could definitely kill a fellow Nomad with your advice. Please stop playing resident doctor at others' expense.
Quote:
Quote:

I thought the comment was made in jest. Lighten up Janene. It was a joke.

EnsenadaDr - 8-29-2014 at 02:21 PM

Really? I don't take that comment in any way, shape or form as a joke. Dying is a very serious matter, and comments about unethical practices don't seem to get a laugh out of me.

bajabuddha - 8-29-2014 at 02:37 PM

EnsenadaDr - 8-29-2014 at 02:38 PM

And this is the guy who is giving serious medical advice without a license!!
Quote:

DENNIS - 8-29-2014 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Feathers

You're joking, right??? :lol:

Had to be. None of this diarrhea could be that serious. :lol:

DianaT - 8-29-2014 at 02:44 PM

Quote:

Out of all of his characters, Peanuts will always be my favorite -- :lol:

micah202 - 8-29-2014 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Well Diana maybe where you are but in the Rosarito and Ensenada areas they sell Pepto in regular and cherry flavor which is my personal favorite. It runs about $50 pesos for the bottle which is a small price to pay for relief. Now the generic salicilato bismuto that they sell in Farmacias Similares is very cheap and doesn't taste fantastic but it is palatable.

...o.m.g.:wow:

..any idea why -limes- are so popular in mexico!? :wow::wow:

...there's a joke that mexicans get sick in US as much as gringo's get sick in Mexico..........personally,,I think it's because the mexicans stop taking their limes!

...limes are incredible in their proactive gastro properties.

[Edited on 8-29-2014 by micah202]

motoged - 8-29-2014 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202

And they taste real good, too ;D

DianaT - 8-29-2014 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:

And they taste real good, too ;D

Oh, I really, really like that photo! And limes are good for lots of things.

AmoPescar - 8-29-2014 at 05:44 PM

NOT PLAYING DOCTOR...TAKE THIS FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH.....NUTMEG!

Just want to share a NATURAL remedy for the squirts which an older black neighbor woman shared with my Mom many many years ago. I can personally attest that it works VERY WELL!

Stir (or shake) a heaping TABLESPOON of Ground NUTMEG into 8 oz's of Milk. Stir until mixed in very well. Drink it ALL down, even if it's a bit offensive to you. Works in a couple of hours and you probably won't need to repeat it.

PS...Personally I like to let the squirts run their course a couple of times to cleanse out the offending bad stuff before using this as a "STOPPER"

MIGUELAMO :yes: :) :yes: ;) :yes:

dtbushpilot - 8-29-2014 at 07:02 PM

Watch your step Amo, Diana will be after you next :o:o:o

vandenberg - 8-29-2014 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar
NOT PLAYING DOCTOR...TAKE THIS FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH.....NUTMEG!

Just want to share a NATURAL remedy for the squirts which an older black neighbor woman shared with my Mom many many years ago. I can personally attest that it works VERY WELL!

Stir (or shake) a heaping TABLESPOON of Ground NUTMEG into 8 oz's of Milk. Stir until mixed in very well. Drink it ALL down, even if it's a bit offensive to you. Works in a couple of hours and you probably won't need to repeat it.

PS...Personally I like to let the squirts run their course a couple of times to cleanse out the offending bad stuff before using this as a "STOPPER"

MIGUELAMO :yes: :) :yes: ;) :yes:

That's an old european sh*t stopper and works very well.

mulegemichael - 8-29-2014 at 07:33 PM

yeah miguel, are you sure that was an older "black" lady?.....yer gonna get called on this fer sure......and janene, just curious but why is it that on absolutely every post you make on this board it ends up in discord?....why isn't it possible for you to say something where everyone else disagrees?...i am baffled by the continuity here that we can COUNT on you providing these here and present with something that will across the board be disagreed with...sorry about the dangling participle.

DianaT - 8-29-2014 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Watch your step Amo, Diana will be after you next :o:o:o

Oh yes, do be careful.

Lots of folk and homeopathic remedies work well for many things for many people. Tumeric is very good for swelling and inflamation, cinnamon is good for reducing blood sugar, on and on, so your comment is ???? Nevermind, I get it. :wow:

[Edited on 8-30-2014 by DianaT]

EnsenadaDr - 8-29-2014 at 07:53 PM

very disjointed statement...I caught you after the c-cktail hour I believe. You mean you can count on your clique from Baja Sur to insult me is what you meant to say.
Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
yeah miguel, are you sure that was an older "black" lady?.....yer gonna get called on this fer sure......and janene, just curious but why is it that on absolutely every post you make on this board it ends up in discord?....why isn't it possible for you to say something where everyone else disagrees?...i am baffled by the continuity here that we can COUNT on you providing these here and present with something that will across the board be disagreed with...sorry about the dangling participle.

Cisco - 8-29-2014 at 08:25 PM

Janene:

You are kind of a “New” Doctor, and ambitiously trying to get all of this information you have out to us in a helpful manner.

It may or may not be appropriate or helpful even though I am sure your heart is in the right place in trying to help us all out. But, we have a number of Doctors of many disciplines on this forum and they choose not to try and help out quite so much unless specifically asked.

Knowing two Urologists on the forum I have yet to see a post that says:

“I can’t pee! What do I do now?”

and the Doctor recommending more “Pacifico’s” without a thorough examination.

Or, in the Women’s Department with a completely different plumbing arrangement I have yet to see a post requesting help from a gynecological perspective and the good Doctor trying to determine whether a small, medium, large, giant or Michelle Duggar size speculum would be appropriate. Again, without a thorough examination.

So thanks for the tips and all, perhaps a general health section separate from our discussion area would be appropriate.

Personally, to avoid all confusion my T-shirt reads:

“I’m not a Doctor, but I’ll take a look”.

In case her husband was wondering just why I was...

mulegemichael - 8-29-2014 at 08:26 PM

what "clique" are you socializing with that is any different than mine?.....seems to me we're all "cliqued up" down here where we just bounce these "cliques" around our social circles and they make their way.......i think you know what my intention was, janene, and all i'm contributing is maybe make a little more effort to "mesh" with your community and not "repel" your community...which is how, frankly, a lot of this herd of folks seem to react to you....try the soft and fuzzy approach; nothing else has worked....yer hammered at every corner....just tweak yer approach a bit where you come off with a few more softer edges and less"IM A LICENSED AND PRACTICING, yada, yada, yada.....i believe you.....now say something that makes us believe that's actually true without peeing most of us of.

EnsenadaDr - 8-29-2014 at 09:18 PM

Have a wonderful evening, I am signing off now...everybody have a warm and fuzzy weekend. BTW, Cisco thank you for the kind words, we are now in the category of Baja Health and Wellness...trying to keep the issues separate. Yes MulegeMichael, it does bother me when someone says I am giving dime store advice!!

Good night, over and out!!

Tioloco - 8-29-2014 at 09:23 PM

Gracias, Doc. Some people can't help but inject negativity. Don't take it personally. I appreciate the reminder to pack some pepto for the next trip south. Beats wearing a plastic bag on the way to the farmacia. :)

bajabuddha - 8-30-2014 at 05:31 AM

Jayzus. 3 pages of bedpan babble in just over 12 hours has to be some kind of record.

"The advice and information given on this board about ischemic vs. hemorrhagic strokes was downright deadly. Unless the person is a licensed professional I would take their comments with a grain of salt. Yet there are always people out there that want to play doctor, often at others' expense.
You know Buddha you are bordering on defamation here........ you are giving out deadly and grossly incorrect information and could definitely kill a fellow Nomad with your advice. Please stop playing resident doctor at others' expense.

and, "And this is the guy who is giving serious medical advice without a license!!"

Oh, please. Were you voted by your graduating classmates "Drama Queen", or "Most Likely To Accede"? I went back and re-re-re-read the 'ischemic stroke' posts; I'd really like to hear your reasoning that it was "downright deadly". And you say I border on defamation? Here are a few of my own quotes:
"I hope these things help someone catch it early; the key is immediate medical intervention." (on 8/15) This, as in, 'get to a doctor/hospital ASAP.

"i'm by no means a doctor, but I do have a lay knowledge of medicine as well as an extensive history, both family and personal in the matter, so take what I write with a grain of salt." (on 8/12)

Dra. Janine, my license has expired, but I have been a certified EMT, have been certified in Advanced Red Cross and CPR for over 20 years, and have been a volunteer Firefighter and on a County Search and Rescue team. I've done hundreds of field medical emergencies. I'm no 'Doctor', but I do have a love of helping and aiding people in urgent/emergent situations. I've never diagnosed, just tried to give what I know to others in hopes of aiding them. If you think I've 'damaged' someone, state it; I welcome the corrections so I can learn too. But if you have a wild ingrown hair in your patootie about me 'playing doctor' I suggest you see a Depilatory Specialist. My advice to you is, "Take two Midols and DON'T call me in the morning..."

And now for my joke. While touring heaven, a newly-departed arrival was fascinated by an obviously very elderly gentleman with long flowing white hair and beard to match, dressed in a white lab coat with a stethoscope around his neck and thermometers in his pocket wandering aimlessly in and out of milling crowds, staring vacantly ahead. The newby asked another, "What's up with that guy??" The other replied, "Oh, him? That's just God.... he only THINKS he's a doctor".

[Edited on 8-30-2014 by bajabuddha]

EnsenadaDr - 8-30-2014 at 07:18 AM

BajaBuddha, if you want to continue to carry on giving your medical advice to help others, that is your decision. I don't have the time or inclination to fight with you. And as a wise person once said, "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

Have a great weekend.

micah202 - 8-30-2014 at 08:10 AM

I'd be more interested to hear about other -preventions- than the typical MD stuff of 'wait till they get sick,,then -blast- the person' :barf::no:

...Pepto Dismal indeed :(

[Edited on 8-30-2014 by micah202]

Tioloco - 8-30-2014 at 08:17 AM

Don't know if it's true, but I have heard..... If you stay home you really can minimize your exposure to illness. Think I will take my chances and drown the bug with Pacifico.....

micah202 - 8-30-2014 at 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tioloco
Don't know if it's true, but I have heard..... If you stay home you really can minimize your exposure to illness. Think I will take my chances and drown the bug with Pacifico.....

..be sure to add some lime! ;D
...from whut I've heard it's best to avoid hospitals when possible--lots of -sick- people there :barf: :wow::barf::bounce::barf:

bajabuddha - 8-30-2014 at 08:46 AM

Just a side-note on older traditional medicinal preventatives; in the 19th and early 20th century during British Colonialism the soldiers stationed in the tropical areas were given a daily 'tonic' consisting of a dose of quinine water, which is highly alkaline, changing the pH of the body chemistry and reducing mosquito bites, hence reducing malaria. The Officers and Gentry were given their 'tonic' doses with a shot of Gin and a squeeze of lime in it with ice, hence the origination of...... you guessed it...... the Gin and Tonic. Works for me; at least used to. Today's tonic soda is twice the sugar content of normal soda pop, so us diabetic types have to eschew the tincture.

Oops, hope I didn't KILL anyone with that info. :saint: :P ;)

greengoes - 8-30-2014 at 08:53 AM

bajalearner - 8-30-2014 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Vergel
Your joke is uncalled for and damages any reputation a medical professional would have. What was the intent? I ask that you edit your post and delete information that shows racism, bigotry and a closed mind. Further, there are good and bad in everything, including health care professionals. Your "joke" was in poor taste and may show how you have used a credential to ascertain "laughter" and more importantly, age.

This is a good example of someone who might try the pink drink because El Vergel is squirting brown stuff. It is rare that a joke like this has to be explained but there are those people. KISS...

bajalearner - 8-30-2014 at 09:32 AM

Interesting to learn was a widespread event. I had to endure it last week and 2 friends had it too. My case lasted a week during which time I rested and used Pepto several times. I did help reduce the problem. Since I was able to stay home and rest, it was tolerable. I hadn't taken Pepto for many years and this time I found that it helped reduce the problem. I will keep a supply in my fridge (easier to drink when its cold).

tripledigitken - 8-30-2014 at 09:40 AM

Imodium is always in our first aid kit. FOR US, if taken right after the start of symptoms, it will stop them in short order.

YMMV

Bajajorge - 8-30-2014 at 09:41 AM

Over the years of going to Baja I have learned to eat some Jalapeno just prior to leaving for Baja, and then continuing for 1-2 days after arrival.
I eat roasted Jalapeno, but then for a real hefty dose I cut the inner core out of a raw pepper, divide the core crossways in half, or thirds and then pop the little group of seeds in my mouth and wash it down with the beverage of my choice.

PS-I also keep a bottle of Pepto and Imodium pills on hand at all times while in Baja.

willardguy - 8-30-2014 at 09:50 AM

one of biggest fears has been just settling in for a 2 hour border wait and have the ol' stomach start rumbling! :wow:

micah202 - 8-30-2014 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
Interesting to learn was a widespread event. I had to endure it last week and 2 friends had it too. My case lasted a week during which time I rested and used Pepto several times. I did help reduce the problem. Since I was able to stay home and rest, it was tolerable. I hadn't taken Pepto for many years and this time I found that it helped reduce the problem. I will keep a supply in my fridge (easier to drink when its cold).

...have you ever tried using carbon tablets-activated charcoal,,,to absorb toxins and bacterial when gastro stuff comes on?

desertcpl - 8-30-2014 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:

...have you ever tried using carbon tablets-activated charcoal,,,to absorb toxins and bacterial when gastro stuff comes on?

yes about 6 months ago, I got a really bad case of food poisoning, ( here in Yuma) I was given Activated Charcoal,, it was a miracle,
I was told that this is the first line of defense in the ER for over dosing on drugs

we also take along Lomotil when traveling, this seems to stop it in its track also

micah202 - 8-30-2014 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Quote:
Quote:

yes about 6 months ago, I got a really bad case of food poisoning, ( here in Yuma) I was given Activated Charcoal,, it was a miracle,
I was told that this is the first line of defense in the ER for over dosing on drugs

...it's amazing how some very simple things can help me keep going,,,and away from the.......... 'doctor'--I'm sure most doctors would agree that's the best plan ;D;):yes:

absinvestor - 8-30-2014 at 12:10 PM

Amazing how a simple paragraph about pepto can cause so much friction. Unbelievable!!

micah202 - 8-30-2014 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
Amazing how a simple paragraph about pepto can cause so much friction. Unbelievable!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo

mtgoat666 - 8-30-2014 at 12:27 PM

doctora,
your advice about using pepto bismal was much better advice than the arm chair internists who pontificated that upset tummy should be treated with antibiotics and investigated with xray and colonoscopy!
never mind the peanut gallery, they are just nuts! eat them roasted and salted!

desertcpl - 8-30-2014 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
doctora,
your advice about using pepto bismal was much better advice than the arm chair internists who pontificated that upset tummy should be treated with antibiotics and investigated with xray and colonoscopy!

:lol::lol::lol:

woody with a view - 8-30-2014 at 02:48 PM

i pack the pepto tablets in the first aid kit. never needed them, and i wonder if they are still good?

BTW, aren't you supposed to let the brown river flow for a day or two to remove the offending nasty bug and not stop it up inside of you?

SFandH - 8-30-2014 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
doctora,

I'm not sure about that. She said:

people came to me that had diarrhea for weeks. I gave them the generic clinic Bismuth Salicylate

"diarrhea for weeks" ????? Yikes! Most cases of traveler's diarrhea last 2 or 3 days.

Pepto Bismol? If it were me I'd find another doctor.

[Edited on 8-30-2014 by SFandH]

dtbushpilot - 8-30-2014 at 05:26 PM

All these people dishing out "home remedies" without posting warnings about possible side effects, dangers and limitations is frightening! Where are you when we need you Diana?!! Aren't you concerned about our well being any more or is taking cheap uncalled for shots at the doctor your only real concern?......Jeez, all this drama has caused my feet to swell and my blood sugar to go through the roof, think I'll snort some cinnamon and put on my turmeric slippers.

Just ignore the trolls Janene, DK will post something irritating sooner or later and they will go back to busting his ball$.....

[Edited on 8-31-2014 by dtbushpilot]

Tioloco - 8-30-2014 at 05:30 PM

Hahaha! :)

DianaT - 8-30-2014 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
All these people dishing out "home remedies" without posting warnings about possible side effects, dangers and limitations if frightening! Where are you when we need you Diana?!! Aren't you concerned about our well being any more or is taking cheap uncalled for shots at the doctor your only real concern?......Jeez, all this drama has caused my feet to swell and my blood sugar to go through the roof, think I'll snort some cinnamon and put on my turmeric slippers.

Just ignore the trolls Janene, DK will post something irritating sooner or later and they will go back to busting his ball$.....

You become more and more ignorant and clueless as time goes by. But that is okay --- it is your choice.

dtbushpilot - 8-30-2014 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
All these people dishing out "home remedies" without posting warnings about possible side effects, dangers and limitations if frightening! Where are you when we need you Diana?!! Aren't you concerned about our well being any more or is taking cheap uncalled for shots at the doctor your only real concern?......Jeez, all this drama has caused my feet to swell and my blood sugar to go through the roof, think I'll snort some cinnamon and put on my turmeric slippers.

You become more and more ignorant and clueless as time goes by. But that is okay --- it is your choice.

Really Diana, is that all you got?.....

El Camote - 8-30-2014 at 05:54 PM

I think it's time for capt mike to repost his tale of urgency and the need to land his plane on a golf course while returning from Vegas. :?::bounce:

bajalearner - 8-30-2014 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
doctora,

Agree!

micah202 - 8-30-2014 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Camote
I think it's time for capt mike to repost his tale of urgency and the need to land his plane on a golf course while returning from Vegas. :?::bounce:

.....--seriously--.....is that all you got? :lol::P:biggrin:

BajaLuna - 8-30-2014 at 06:03 PM

while Doctor's are good and we need them for sure, lets all remember they r just "practicing" medicine!

And this was the same doctor who professed to have studied wholistic medicine but didn't know potatoes/tomatoes were in the nightshade family, really? FOOD/plants is one of the first things one learns when going to college for holistic medicine and healing. Just sayin'!

I'll pass on this good Dr.'s advice!

elgatoloco - 8-30-2014 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
one of biggest fears has been just settling in for a 2 hour border wait and have the ol' stomach start rumbling! :wow:

VIVA SENTRI! :P

Bajaboy - 8-30-2014 at 07:20 PM

So Doc, if I get a headache, should I try aspirin? I appreciate your free medical advice. I never knew about Pepto Bismol.

Back when I was a famous quarterback in junior high, I remember the cheerleaders screaming kaopectate, kaopectate, stop the runs....I wonder if the great doctor has an opinion

[Edited on 8-31-2014 by Bajaboy]

UnoMas - 8-30-2014 at 08:21 PM

From someone who has experienced several cases of food poisoning, a case of Salmonella Typhi (Typhoid Fever) and E.Coli while living in Baja. You should have lab work done if your Diarrhea lasts more than three days. This stuff will kill you and think telling anyone to take pepto bismol for episodes lasting WEEKS and not see a Doctor is amateur at best.. Not a Doctor just my opinion.:light:
Quote:

When I worked as a physician in Cantu, people came to me that had diarrhea for weeks. I gave them the generic clinic Bismuth Salicylate, and told them to take two capfuls after each diarrhea movement, until it stopped. Not one came back to me with the same problem. Antibiotics can actually kill the natural intestinal flora and cause more problems.

BajaLuna - 8-30-2014 at 08:37 PM

I think Pepto is great too and always have it on hand but weeks of the runs and the prescription is take some pepto? No tests etc. That's scary!

UnoMas - 8-30-2014 at 08:44 PM

Yes Luna, try for the first few days but after that professional treatment for sure.... :light:

UnoMas - 8-30-2014 at 08:59 PM

Lancair, no expert opinion here and no one said to HEAD to the ER. All I know is what I have dealt with concerning the topic. By the way I came very close to NOT surviving!
So flame away!

EnsenadaDr - 8-30-2014 at 09:04 PM

I think you misinterpreted my statement. The patients that came to me for weeks had been to other doctors not me. The first time they came to me I started them on Pepto Bismol because most likely the antibiotics they had been on for weeks had destroyed their normal stomach flora.

But you know what, don't ask me. I am on here to discuss topics and maybe to joke around a bit and have a little fun. I do love helping others and trying to give tips to people. Yet over on Ron Hoff's forum, TalkBaja, he feels differently. He feels he can slam me and my reputation and he feels safe doing it, and you know why? I am blocked from reading any comments about me because he knows I can't see what he is saying, and I can't respond either. At least here on Nomad I am allowed to respond if I want. Only a true coward would not allow the person being attacked to answer. Even DENNIS likes to engage others for a response, yet according to others, a health professional shouldn't act this way.

In other words, you can't act like others, you have to be a stereotype of what THEY want you to be. Sorry that my profession is enjoyable, I have fun doing it, and I enjoy interacting with people. But I don't think that deserves an apology.

BajaLuna - 8-30-2014 at 09:14 PM

oh boy here we go again...as soon as someone disagrees with her, it's always deflected onto someone or something else.

ummm you do enough harm all by your wee self to your own reputation.

EnsenadaDr - 8-30-2014 at 09:17 PM

It's wasn't a disagreement, it was an out and out attack. yes I will defend myself, sorry if you don't like it.

BajaLuna - 8-30-2014 at 09:20 PM

it alwayssssss is according to you!

Sometimes when one has a lot of drama in one's life and so much discontent or anonymosity...one needs to just look at the common denominator in it all ;)

EnsenadaDr - 8-30-2014 at 09:27 PM

Have a wonderful evening!! It is another beautiful night in Baja!! God Bless everyone and stay safe! Good night all.

Lee - 8-30-2014 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by UnoMas
From someone who has experienced several cases of food poisoning, a case of Salmonella Typhi (Typhoid Fever) and E.Coli while living in Baja. You should have lab work done if your Diarrhea lasts more than three days. This stuff will kill you and think telling anyone to take pepto bismol for episodes lasting WEEKS and not see a Doctor is amateur at best.. Not a Doctor just my opinion.:light:
Quote:

When I worked as a physician in Cantu, people came to me that had diarrhea for weeks. I gave them the generic clinic Bismuth Salicylate, and told them to take two capfuls after each diarrhea movement, until it stopped. Not one came back to me with the same problem. Antibiotics can actually kill the natural intestinal flora and cause more problems.

Had this condition last Spring. Stopped eating, focused on electrolytes, then bland diet, pepto, nothing stayed in. Gave it four days before getting a 'script for antibiotic, probiotic from Doc Arce in Pescadero. Lost 10 pounds.

Think Janene meant days and not weeks. Seriously, weeks of this stuff you'll be in a hospital if not dead.

Now for some humor: what do you call the class clown who graduates last in her medical school class? Doctor.

UnoMas - 8-30-2014 at 10:03 PM

Lee,
Two weeks into it I wished I was dead and damn near was. Took the most powerful antibiotic for 21 days.
Don't under estimate Diarrhea, the cause can kill you!

bajabuddha - 8-30-2014 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Lee,
Two weeks into it I wished I was dead and damn near was. Took the most powerful antibiotic for 21 days.
Don't under estimate Diarrhea, the cause can kill you!

UnoMas; did you have a Dr. prescribe the antibiotic, and did he/she do a stool sample, wait 3 days to give it to you?

There's a HUGE difference here between 'traveler's diarrhea' and much stronger and more severe cases of the Hershey Squirts. My first trip to Mazatlán in the early 80's ended up with amoebic dysentery, and I had 2-3 weeks of HELL followed by almost 6 months of on-off symptoms; that's when I started paying attention to details. I fell in love with Mexico, and many, many times with 'traveler's squirts' I've learned the difference and what to do, both self- and medical interventional- care.

Ain't fun, that's fo sho'. IT'S THE CHITS! ... as they say.

mtgoat666 - 8-30-2014 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
I think you misinterpreted my statement. The patients that came to me for weeks had been to other doctors not me. The first time they came to me I started them on Pepto Bismol because most likely the antibiotics they had been on for weeks had destroyed their normal stomach flora.

But you know what, don't ask me. I am on here to discuss topics and maybe to joke around a bit and have a little fun. I do love helping others and trying to give tips to people. Yet over on Ron Hoff's forum, TalkBaja, he feels differently. He feels he can slam me and my reputation and he feels safe doing it, and you know why? I am blocked from reading any comments about me because he knows I can't see what he is saying, and I can't respond either.

Doctora,
When you tire of the asshollees here, just turn off your computer. A big world outside of here.

UnoMas - 8-30-2014 at 10:44 PM

Bajabuddha,
Yes,Yes, and Yes. I think the only reason for the three day delay was it took that long for the lab results. Had to be sent out of town as no lab there.

bajabuddha - 8-30-2014 at 10:53 PM

Quote:
Bajabuddha,
Yes,Yes, and Yes. I think the only reason for the three day delay was it took that long for the lab results. Had to be sent out of town as no lab there.

Agreed, and most times in the States it has to be petri-dished, cultured, and identified, which can take up to 3 days, or even more, depending... THEN they can diagnose what bug it is, and which antibiotic will (or may) do the trick. Sooo many spectrums, soooo little thyme.

Again, it's my belief, only use 'stopper-uppers' if you have to travel and need to be... safe... otherwise, STAY HYDRATED with lots of water with supplemental electrolytes like chicken broth and Pedia-Lite or whatever, unless symptoms turn for the worse; let it run (gawd I love to say that!) its' course and after 2-3 days or worsening symptoms, get to a REAL doctor.

The use of Pepto, Imodium, etc. turns your lower gut into a nice, warm incubator for the bugs. FLUSH 'EM. If it's bad, or blood, get IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION. GO TO THE PROFESSIONALS.

micah202 - 8-31-2014 at 02:17 AM

....if only there was a cure for diarrhea of the -verbal- variety :yes: :smug::wow:

Cypress - 8-31-2014 at 12:00 PM

Got a dose of it once, an overnight thing. Attributed it to some bad Tecate. Have been free of any symptoms since switching to Modela.:yes:

KurtG - 9-2-2014 at 11:34 AM

There has been no mention of either Treda or Kaomycin unless I missed it in all these pages. I rarely have any problem but I carry Treda in my motorcycle saddle bag just in case. Two tabs at first indication of a problem and then two spaced 6 hours apart has done it for me. If that didn't work I would be looking for a doctor. About 50 years ago in SE Asia I experienced amoebic dysentery and it took nearly five years to clear up completely so I am very aware of the difference. I wouldn't take either of these drugs for more than a day.

LancairDriver - 9-2-2014 at 11:45 AM

A lot of the Gringos in Baja swear by Treda.

EnsenadaDr - 9-2-2014 at 06:12 PM

Kurt,

Treda is Kaopectate and Neomycin. Kaopectate is an orally taken medication from Chattem, Inc. for the treatment of mild diarrhea. It is also sometimes used to treat indigestion, nausea and stomach ulcers. The active ingredients have varied over time, and are different between the United States and Canada. The original active ingredients were kaolinite and pectin. In the U.S., the active ingredient is now bismuth subsalicylate, the same as in Pepto-Bismol.

The active ingredient in kaopectate has changed since its original creation. Originally, kaolinite was used as the adsorbent and pectin as the emollient. Attapulgite (a type of absorbent clay) replaced the kaolinite in the 1980s, but was found to be unproven as to effectiveness by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in a ruling made in April of 2003. As a consequence, since 2004, bismuth subsalicylate has been used as the active ingredient in U.S. marketed products.[1] In Canada, McNeil Consumer Healthcare continues to market kaopectate using attapulgite as the active ingredient. Kaomycin is essentially Kaopectate with neomycin added (same as Treda). Neomycin should not be used for non-infectious diarrhea but has been shown to be helpful in some cases of infectious diarrhea. Once again Doctor Baja Buddha is sending out erroneous and potentially dangerous information. Bismuth Subsalicylate the active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol does have mild antibacterial properties and can kill or inhibit some harmful bacteria in the intestinal tract.
Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
There has been no mention of either Treda or Kaomycin unless I missed it in all these pages. I rarely have any problem but I carry Treda in my motorcycle saddle bag just in case. Two tabs at first indication of a problem and then two spaced 6 hours apart has done it for me. If that didn't work I would be looking for a doctor. About 50 years ago in SE Asia I experienced amoebic dysentery and it took nearly five years to clear up completely so I am very aware of the difference. I wouldn't take either of these drugs for more than a day.

[Edited on 9-3-2014 by EnsenadaDr]

mtgoat666 - 9-2-2014 at 07:52 PM

Only in nomadlandia could people have so much idle time and be so passionate about their own chiitt that they would argue about diarhea for more than 5 days and 5 pages of posts...

Peace out!

Cisco - 9-2-2014 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Only in nomadlandia could people have so much idle time and be so passionate about their own chiitt that they would argue about diarhea for more than 5 days and 5 pages of posts...

Peace out!

Nurse comes into the 7/11 for a six-pack, looks tired.

Counter lady tells her she looks tired and she says yea, had to pull a double shift, someone didn't show. I'm going home, kick my shoes off, have a couple of beers and get some sleep, it's been a b***h day.

She pulls out her checkbook, reaches into the pocket of her nurse smock and pulls out a thermometer. "Oh, CHIT! After everything else that's happened today now some azzholes got my pen."

Bajaboy - 9-2-2014 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Kurt,

Treda is Kaopectate and Neomycin. Kaopectate is an orally taken medication from Chattem, Inc. for the treatment of mild diarrhea. It is also sometimes used to treat indigestion, nausea and stomach ulcers. The active ingredients have varied over time, and are different between the United States and Canada. The original active ingredients were kaolinite and pectin. In the U.S., the active ingredient is now bismuth subsalicylate, the same as in Pepto-Bismol.

The active ingredient in kaopectate has changed since its original creation. Originally, kaolinite was used as the adsorbent and pectin as the emollient. Attapulgite (a type of absorbent clay) replaced the kaolinite in the 1980s, but was found to be unproven as to effectiveness by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in a ruling made in April of 2003. As a consequence, since 2004, bismuth subsalicylate has been used as the active ingredient in U.S. marketed products.[1] In Canada, McNeil Consumer Healthcare continues to market kaopectate using attapulgite as the active ingredient. Kaomycin is essentially Kaopectate with neomycin added (same as Treda). Neomycin should not be used for non-infectious diarrhea but has been shown to be helpful in some cases of infectious diarrhea. Once again Doctor Baja Buddha is sending out erroneous and potentially dangerous information. Bismuth Subsalicylate the active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol does have mild antibacterial properties and can kill or inhibit some harmful bacteria in the intestinal tract.
Quote:

I'm sure your intentions are well placed...but do you always cut and copy and claim as your own? I would take you a bit more seriously if you did a better job differentiating between your professional opinion versus your internet trolling....:light:

DianaT - 9-2-2014 at 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Kurt,

Quote:

I'm sure your intentions are well placed...but do you always cut and copy and claim as your own? I would take you a bit more seriously if you did a better job differentiating between your professional opinion versus your internet trolling....:light:

At least there should have been a footnote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaopectate

:rolleyes:

EnsenadaDr - 9-2-2014 at 08:50 PM

My information came from a part of Dr. Oz's summary, Diarrhea and you. HMMM....I didn't know he used Wikipedia. But I guess it has some reliable information if Dr. Oz used it!!

willardguy - 9-2-2014 at 08:56 PM

Quote:
My information came from a part of Dr. Oz's summary, Diarrhea and you. HMMM....I didn't know he used Wikipedia. But I guess it has some reliable information if Dr. Oz used it!!

Dr. Oz, same guy thats famous for his diet scams?:?: oh yeah, that'll work!:lol:

EnsenadaDr - 9-2-2014 at 09:07 PM

ok I will leave it then to the panel of experts here. You guys duke it out.

Good night all.

micah202 - 9-2-2014 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Dr. Oz, same guy thats famous for his diet scams?:?: oh yeah, that'll work!:lol:

.... the gift that keeps on giving :no::yawn::tumble::yes:

...it would be totally impossible to make this stuff up!!:o:O:rolleyes:

..........I can -hardly- wait till next week's topic:tumble::spingrin:

[Edited on 9-3-2014 by micah202]

Pages:  1