BajaNomad

HURRICANE WARNING FOR BAJA - ODILE - AFTERMATH

Pages:  1  ..  5    7  

Udo - 9-17-2014 at 05:55 PM

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by gallesram
Udo, they are posted on the Mulege thread (top of page 3)

Doug/Vamonos - 9-17-2014 at 06:43 PM

Does anyone have news about the roads from Mexicali to San Felipe and onward to Gonzaga? And also from Gonzaga to Highway 1? Thanks.

apple - 9-17-2014 at 06:55 PM

Power and cell service appear to have returned in La Paz
here's a facebook update from a friend there:

We have just had electricity returned to some buildings and after a few days the internet has now returned but very limited. Cellphone network seems to be coming back but still spotty.

We are all in great health and working through everything.

The city is in a complete mess with millions of dollars of damage, however things are starting to work again.

We still have no gasoline as it is currently restricted to official vehicles to speed repairs however we hope that it will be back soon as our car is running low.

Lots of photos of the destruction, I will post once I have dealt with my 200 emails.

Take care and talk soon

apple - 9-17-2014 at 06:57 PM

And here is a report from a cruiser:

To cruisers familiar with La Paz over the years, the news comes that local fixture and long-time" Friday Net host" and Christmas Story reader Gunther Trebbow was lost in the storm when his boat "Princess" was blown from the Magote anchorage about 2AM. Gunther's health had been failing for the last year or so and after trying to save his holed vessel he was too weak to make it to shore. He will be missed.

apple - 9-17-2014 at 07:02 PM

Facebook updates from owner of Tailhunter Jonathon Roldan https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.roldan.7?fref=ts

Quote:

To all our Facebook friends and all the tons of your writing. I'm sorry for not posting. This is the first time we've had internet in 4 days. Things getting kind bad here. No water...electricity...cell phone (they are saying maybe 1 month down)...and now gasoline. Long lines everywhere. We are told there's 30,000 people stuck in Cabo as the airport is closed with serious damage. Almost 3000 people tried to get on 3 planes this morning at La Paz Airport and there are some reported fight breaking out.

La Paz is a mess. Trees gone. Power lines draped over everything. Windows shattered. Telphone poles and palm trees snapped in half.

We were fortunately able to evacuate almost all our clients here and send them home or get them to the airport or ferry boat . There's looting that has started too. So, we're a bit under seige now. Trying to clean up but hard to do with no power or water...cell phone or internet (only have it for a few minutes). But, everyone is fine. I'm fine. Jill is fine. We need a shower...and an ICY BEER!!! But, we'll make it through.

We're telling everyone who has reservations to check their flights because you'll probably find out it's canceled. We'll postpone or re-schedule your vacations or adjust money! We want everyone safe! Losing signal now. Gotta run!

Quote:
Late news...34 boats sunk in the marina here. Several folks missing. Looting has started

Quote:
Now we're hearing that there has been an accident at the La Paz Airport and a collision between one or two planes and destruction at the airport. Will update as we have signal.

Dianamo - 9-17-2014 at 08:26 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/weakened-odile...

:no::no::no:

CasaChristie - 9-17-2014 at 09:02 PM

Latest news received from Mulege at 4:00 pm today.

Town is still a mess but improving very slowly. Still no power or water or phone or internet, maybe within 36-48 hours. Roads North and South at least as far as Loreto and Santa Rosalia are somewhat open, but very little traffic. Flooding in Mulege was worse than first saw. Saul had about 6 foot of water. Problems at Albas, the Johnson's house and gift shop, SAPA and new clinic. Lots of mucking out going on, destroyed furniture in muddy piles in the street and lots of discouraged people hard at it trying to put their lives back together. Firehouse is okay. Ayleth and Pinguino were open using generators. Shelves are getting bare.

Rumor is that Santa Rosalia has phone and power restored and that a large power plant is being shipped from Guaymas bound for Mulege. Jorge had been able to get to Santa Rosalia and back - two hours each way, and was able to get lots of Pemex which is badly needed for all who use generators. Pemex on the highway had Pemex Red available..

Nothing much new on the bay. Things are slowly drying out, and lots of hope that the last report of Hurricane Polo missing the Baja are true. Water is running out at the beaches and at Posada on the Hill and with no pumps in town, that will be the situation for awhile.

Looks like it will take about a week to get most things back to normal. Many of the residents in Oasis, Orchard and East have had mud and water at least 5' deep.

Be sure to check road conditions before deciding to head down. There is little that can be done in the next week or two as opposed to the next few days. There are no support facilities to help at this moment.

Still don't know much about the people beyond the Mission as a large part of the road to the Mission is gone. The river cut itself a new channel where the road used to be.

That's it for now. I will keep everyone informed as I hear more.

Zola - 9-17-2014 at 09:39 PM

The Mexican government advises that it is NOT POSSIBLE to drive to southern Baja. Highway 1 is clear from Ensenada only to Catavina, where there is an impassable arroyo, followed by another just down the road to the south. Hightway 1 is therefore CLOSED at Catavina and at further points south. The article also indicates that there are completely unpassable stretches just after El Rosario.

There are numerous inundations, and officials say that travelers should not attempt at present to drive from Northern to Southern Baja.

http://www.frontera.info/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Noticias/17092...

It seems to me that if you head down now, you risk making yourself part of the problem, and they have enough problems on their hands. I would wait at least until they have cleared the arroyos that block passage along Highway 1. I also have heard that it is impassable at Vizcaino.

The good news is that Hurrican Polo will likely not approach Baja, and there is calm weather to follow at least for awhile. So stay put, organize your return, and don't put yourself in harm's way and add to the burdens that they have down there. I understand if you have loved ones, but even then use common sense. I too have property in southern Baja, which is safe and sound I am relieved to say, but now is not the time to race to Southern Baja. Let it recover, then go down to help out as you can.

[Edited on 9-18-2014 by Zola]

[Edited on 9-18-2014 by Zola]

SFandH - 9-17-2014 at 09:42 PM

Good find Zola, thanks.

Bahia de los Angeles

MexicoTed - 9-17-2014 at 10:13 PM

Not sure if anyone posted this article declaring Bahia de los Angeles a disaster zone. It has some photos too.

http://ciudadtijuana.info/imixcdtj/declaran-zona-de-desastre-a-bahia-de-los-angeles/

David K - 9-17-2014 at 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MexicoTed
Not sure if anyone posted this article declaring Bahia de los Angeles a disaster zone. It has some photos too.

http://ciudadtijuana.info/imixcdtj/declaran-zona-de-desastre-a-bahia-de-los-angeles/

Marv Sherrill sent me some photos from Bahia de los Angeles to share on Nomad, taken by friends who are there... I am working on them and will put them up asap!

Bahia de los Angeles damage photos

David K - 9-17-2014 at 10:50 PM

Sent to me by Marv Sherrill:

Hi David – thought you would like to see the damage at our house in Bahia by Raul’s and La Ventana – Roger lost a few rooms at Villa Bahia, but this is what is looks like at our places – – please feel free to share with nomads looking for more info – pictures were taken by Suzanne Jordan and Greg Pratt, long time residents of Bahia. Thanks - Marv

From the person who sent some photos:

So sorry... lots of damage.... We didn't go inside the house yet. La Gringa out, no electricity over 7" of rain... gauge was overflowing. Ingrid had mud in her house. No sun.... more later...

PHOTOS (22):

Marv & Gail's driveway (La Ventana)

Randy's

Mark's

Mark's

Mark's

Raul

Randy

Randy/Mark

Randy

Marv/Jack

Marv & Gail's

Randy

Marv & Gail wall

Jack/Marv

Jack

Jack

Jack/Brian

Brian

Brian

Brian

Brian

Pete/Sharon/Brian

EngineerMike - 9-17-2014 at 10:57 PM

Heard a couple hours ago from one of our students attending college in Ensenada. She was visiting her folks out past Ice House Rd, Mulege for the weekend. Pop took her back north & they are stuck at Vizcaino. Road must be passable in some fashion between Mulege & Vizcaino.

Based on past experience, I advise waiting on road travel till trucks & buses are confirmed passing all points you'll need to pass. Aguila & ABC buses will roll as soon as they know roads are manageable with detours in place. Watch for that as the trigger.

David K - 9-17-2014 at 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos
Does anyone have news about the roads from Mexicali to San Felipe and onward to Gonzaga? And also from Gonzaga to Highway 1? Thanks.

From what I saw posted today... the only 'river' is the Santa Maria arroyo, 5 miles south of the Gonzaga Pemex. I was surprised that getting to Puertecitos across Arroyo Matomi wasn't an issue.

pacsur - 9-18-2014 at 04:31 AM

Sorry, no time or enough signal to read and download other reports.
5:15 thur- San Jose
Total destruction.
No power 20-30 days.
1 bar cel on and off this am, hoping for more.
Lots of looting, military arriving.
Some stations had some gas yesterday, lines.
Radio back on yesterday pm.
No food etc.
I drove from cero colarado to Vado Santa Rosa, total destruction.
Almost every 2nd story and above with blown out windows.
I lost 2 windows from debris, after over 20 years I have never seen so much stuff blown around.
Gunshots in our development last night, security said 2 bad guys with guns caught trying to rob a place.
Have generator, rationing gas, extremely miserable down here.
Have workers showing up today to remove 2 large palms from my pool, it's ruined.
Just extremely sad how many affected, my loses are nothing compared to others.
Govt flights available to foreingers to tj and Mexico City for free I hear.
Only one terminal operating, do not come down, nothing here.
Hope the best for all others affected.
Just saw new storm sat, my screens have a few holes but basically saved me, glad I held on to some plywood though.

chuckie - 9-18-2014 at 05:37 AM

Kinda sums it up......Sad

Jean - 9-18-2014 at 09:26 AM

:( For those who are updating on Bahia de Los Angeles, has anyone done a drive-by of Raquel & Larry's place or Daggett's or ? I haven't heard from Ruth or Ruben and am worried. Thank you so much if you can check.
Sincerely,
Jean Pennington

ignatz - 9-18-2014 at 10:11 AM

Flora Farms just updated their Facebook with photos and info about the entire property: https://www.facebook.com/CulinaryCottages

elbeau - 9-18-2014 at 11:06 AM

This photo looks really bad:

:O Even before you see this photo:

[Edited on 9-18-2014 by elbeau]

[Edited on 9-18-2014 by elbeau]

austriaco - 9-18-2014 at 11:50 AM

the following has been posted on facebook:
Mulege Bomberos Sub-Estacion Bahia Concepcion

The Municipal Board for Civil Protection have met and come up with a few items they would like everyone to know:
No water service between Palo Verde and Santa Rosalia for 10 days
No classes in the entire Municipal until announced
No food vendors on the streets
Travel from Santa Rosalia to LaPaz is now possible
Travel from Santa Rosalia north is not possible. 6 cuts in the road between Sta Rosalia and Vizcaino.

[Edited on 9-18-2014 by austriaco]

Nancy Drew - 9-18-2014 at 11:51 AM

This is a well presented somewhat artistic video covering San Jose Del Cabo...in the town , estuary, shoreline

After Odile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqwwTwuTNTM

motoged - 9-18-2014 at 12:44 PM

Thanks for that link.....shows that it is worse than some of us hoped it would look like... :( :(

MulegeAL - 9-18-2014 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Thanks for that link.....shows that it is worse than some of us hoped it would look like... :( :(

Bring a shovel and high boots, mudfest in Mulege!

I sure hope there's some dirt left to ride on the loop we did last season, that its not all rock!

jbcoug - 9-18-2014 at 01:07 PM

Has Bajajudy checked in? Hope they, their home, and business came through safe.

ElCap - 9-18-2014 at 01:28 PM

Not sure if this has been reported elsewhere, but this was a press release from Boleo Mining Co. in Sta. Rosalia:

Vancouver, September 18, 2014 - Baja Mining Corp. ("Baja" or the "Company") (TSX-V: BAJ - OTC: BAJFF) wishes to provide an update regarding the Boleo Project, in which it holds a 10% interest, and the impact of Hurricane Odile that hit the Baja Peninsula earlier in the week. Baja understands that although the hurricane was downgraded to a tropical storm in the region of Santa Rosalia, heavy rains and high winds in the area knocked out electricity and communications. Baja has been informed by Minera y Metalurgica del Boleo S.A. P.I. de CV. ("MMB") and Korea Resources Corporation that there has been no notable damage to the project site and communications have been restored at the site but that the activity at the Boleo Project remains halted while the site is inspected and until clean-up is completed.

Baja is deeply saddened to report that there was one confirmed fatality involving Boleo personnel. Tragically, Mr. Kyoung Jin Park, Chief Operating Officer of MMB, ‎was drowned in the town of Santa Rosalia, located adjacent to the Boleo Project, by a flash flood attributable to heavy rains from the storm. In addition, Mr. Sung Keun Chai, Chief Executive Officer of MMB, who is thought to have been with Mr. Park at the time of the incident, is currently missing. Baja has been advised that the Mexican authorities continue their search for Mr. Chai. The leadership of these two executives has been important in advancing the Boleo Project, and Mr. Park, and Mr. Chai, if confirmed deceased, will be greatly missed.

desertcpl - 9-18-2014 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nancy Drew
This is a well presented somewhat artistic video covering San Jose Del Cabo...in the town , estuary, shoreline

After Odile

Holly crap,, did you see that one high rise Hotel,, the front of it was totally blown away

it going to take along time to repair some of these Hotels and businesses

apple - 9-18-2014 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elbeau
This photo looks really bad:

:O Even before you see this photo:

That's unreal

mtgoat666 - 9-18-2014 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Quote:

After Odile

Holly crap,, did you see that one high rise Hotel,, the front of it was totally blown away

it going to take along time to repair some of these Hotels and businesses

the same photographer something i found much more interesting: the storm front rolling in to cabo
http://youtu.be/u-twJC6GxVA?list=UU8ewputXzo8QRfOgbi0FAOw

MexicoTed - 9-18-2014 at 04:05 PM

What hotel is this elbeau

Ford - 9-18-2014 at 04:12 PM

Those missing buildings must be a result of construction. I doubt a hurricane could lift out an entire tennis court and leave no trace. There is nothing for the wind to get lift on.....I could be wrong, but I'm just saying. Still no word for us....nothing out of playa tortuga! I did hear someone saw our caregivers driving, so they must be safe.

motoged - 9-18-2014 at 04:55 PM

Ford,
The wave action could do that damage....

Ford - 9-18-2014 at 06:05 PM

Good point....

ecomujeres - 9-18-2014 at 06:18 PM

Haven't seen this anywhere else on Nomads, yet>

Stretch of highway between Guerrero Negro and Vizcaino. No wonder there's no through traffic!

GroNeg-Vizcaino highway collapse_GNVSep18 by dvalov, on Flickr

Udo - 9-18-2014 at 06:30 PM

Thanks for sharing this photo. It is totally incredible.

Quote:
Originally posted by ecomujeres
Haven't seen this anywhere else on Nomads, yet>

Stretch of highway between Guerrero Negro and Vizcaino. No wonder there's no through traffic!

GroNeg-Vizcaino highway collapse_GNVSep18 by dvalov, on Flickr

gallesram - 9-18-2014 at 08:10 PM

Just heard from a Mulege resident tonight who made it through from Mulege to Guerrero Negro today (took 9 hours to go 185 miles). Worst part was in San Ignacio (huge vado full of water). No mention of the stretch shown above; they must have a detour along the side which is very slow going.

BajaUtah - 9-18-2014 at 09:02 PM

Just a quick update, more later from back in the States. Made it through the storm at our house in Light House Point (east cape), minor damage. Minor damage to neighbors house but no harm to people. After 3 days without power and info attempted to head to San Jose. The bridge is gone at Caduano. Headed back to Los Barriles and got to a friends place just as the internet came back. No power in all the east cape, all on generators. After looking at the info we decided to head for Loreto as their airport is undamaged and Alaska was sending an extra plane down for Friday. 9/18 am drive through La Paz was ok. Most lights out but drivers behaving. Got gas at last station heading north. Lots and lots of power lines down between LP and CdC. CdC appeared undamaged. Lines at banks and usual crazy traffic. Lots of mud and water over the road but very drivable. 6 hours Los Barriles to Loreto. It is ugly down here and will be for a while but saw nothing like the madness posted from Cabo.

BajaNomad - 9-18-2014 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gallesram
Just heard from a Mulege resident tonight who made it through from Mulege to Guerrero Negro today (took 9 hours to go 185 miles). Worst part was in San Ignacio (huge vado full of water). No mention of the stretch shown above; they must have a detour along the side which is very slow going.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=75459

Bajaojosazul - 9-18-2014 at 10:01 PM

Quote:

I believe that is the Hyatt Place, close to Mega and Mcdonalds in San Jose (right off the hwy). I have seen other pics of it online along with the shredded side of the Mcdonalds. It is a new hotel, just built within the last year or two.

Truly sad video. The town looks broken.

Bajaojosazul - 9-18-2014 at 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jbcoug
Has Bajajudy checked in? Hope they, their home, and business came through safe.

I have been in contact several times with a friend on a Mexican cell. It only works in certain areas & sporadically. I know for a fact that certain friends and neighbors are ok, but absolutely cannot reach them -- landline, internet or even cell phone. The area close to Mega seems to work fairly consistently last two days for his phone calling out but I cannot call him.

pacsur - 9-19-2014 at 01:56 AM

Friday 2:45am
Copters flying over woke me up, Internet seems a little better, less traffic?
Anyway, just miserable down here, some of my workers showed up for clean up yesterday, all very concerned bout looting andthebad element, security here and development seem to really be patrolling at night, the 2 gunshots were supposedly from an owner that saw a gang of ten looters crossing fence that is down next to golf cours next door.
Heard 2600 people at San Jose airport trying to get out, only 1 terminal partly operational?
Gas if the have it, 1 gallon limit, line more than 1 km.
Shelters serving food 3x a day, radio gives locations, Pena here 2x last 3 days.
House fairly well gutted outside, all dedris in lot net door, getting things ready for polo, after Odile polo looks like I non event, but I'm buttoning up anyway, radio has said nothing about Polo at all.
Was told power could be 10 days? If so that would be two weeks, I'm not that confident.
Water supposed to start returning today to some areas?
Military check points, people told don't be driving with stuff if you can't prove it's yours.
Best of luck too all, it's miserably hot and humid, but feeling luckier the more I see.

pacsur - 9-19-2014 at 03:01 AM

Sorry that I have failed to mention the great compassion and helpfulness among all the people also, I think everybody is looking out for each other.
People just cleaning up roads where needed, a few at a time stopping to move trees on the roads.

oladulce - 9-19-2014 at 06:26 AM

Quote:

Looks like Bahia Chileno. Is the name still "Hotel Cabo San Lucas" ?

latina - 9-19-2014 at 06:50 AM

Pacsur, check the Baja Insider...they have a very good report on Polo this morning... thank you for the report.

weebray - 9-19-2014 at 07:04 AM

One of the advantages of living in "centro" is that we have just had power and water restored after only 4 days. It's been miserable to be sure but nothing like the misery facing the rest of Baja California Sur. Here is a copy of the email we have sent out to all our questioning friends.

So last Sunday, the fourteenth, in the afternoon we started getting radio reports that hurricane Odile was approaching Cabo San Lucas. There were several updates which ended around 6PM with the news that the storm had apparently split in to two eye-walls and dissipated. We went to bed around 9 thinking that we had dodged a bullet. About an hour later we noticed a significant increase in the wind. It soon became apparent that we were in for a blow. And blow it did. Naturally the power went out right away so we were entertained by the sounds of the neighborhood imploding and our house being attacked. The sound was really scary and naturally it was pitch black. From time to time we shined a light out into the melee and watched our trees being dismantled. Right in the middle of it a part of our roof in the front of the house peeled away and sounded like a giant zipper as it ripped off the house. The next eight or ten hours lasted for an eternity. We don't know what the actual force of the storm was, it's funny, without the internet we are in a news vacuum. The only news we have had comes from local Mexico radio and they don't have a clue. Add to that our Spanish is limited and we are totally in the dark. The last four days have been exhausting, depressing, and hot. We have been without power, fans, refrigeration, A/C and lights. It has been impossible to sleep and every day has been physically and emotionally draining. We are writing this on Thursday PM, the eighteenth. We just got power and internet back. Our house withstood the onslaught pretty well aside from losing a small part of the roof. We have an outbuilding that did not do so well. The 16 X 25 foot roof disappeared into the night, never to be seen again. The contents, exposed to the elements, are soaked thru and have kept Grenelda busy for four days now. We have had a chance to take a tour of the city and it's hard to describe the debris and devastation. The whole top of our baseball stadium has blown off into an adjacent street. Trees, lines, walls, signs etc., etc. are blocking almost every street in the city.
We, frankly, have been in shock for several days but realize that we are fortunate to still be alive. I personally am alive because Grenelda refused to let me go out in the storm to try to tie down the roof. The boating community of which we are still a part suffered a huge blow. Any of you that know the fleet here will be saddened to learn that Gunther of the S/V Princess has gone down with his ship. He was not only a good person he was an icon here in La Paz. We all will miss his reading us his latest story on Sunday mornings. Too many boats to list have been driven aground and two more people are still missing.
For Grenelda and I this has been a frightening experience but in the end it just means we lost some “stuff”. We still have a bunch left over. Like most of modern society we are addicted to the power company and all it's associated accoutrement the internet included. Just like I imagine a smoker would feel if you suddenly removed his smokes for four days, we have suffered the pain of withdrawl. All our love and thanks to everyone that has expressed their concern for our safety.

Aftermath Video of Cabo..

LaTijereta - 9-19-2014 at 07:09 AM

This is a reflection of what it must feel like..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&...

David K - 9-19-2014 at 07:53 AM

The other side of paradise... sad reality. Watched the video and the estero looks bleak indeed, to say nothing of the human side of Los Cabos (and the rest of Baja hit so hard).

BajaBoomerBabe - 9-19-2014 at 07:58 AM

pacsur- are you anywhere near Laguna Vista in San Jose? Right next dot the golf course on Blvd. Mijares. I am waiting to hear more about the state of the condos and people there. I did hear it was very badly hit. thanks for your report.

SFandH - 9-19-2014 at 08:16 AM

Mex TV is reporting the government is organizing and paying clean-up crews in Los Cabos.

MitchMan - 9-19-2014 at 08:19 AM

Great post, weebray. Thank you so much.

If and when you get a chance, can you post something about the level of availability of food sold at stores and potable water, road conditions in el Centro, La Paz, particularly to/from the airport, whether stores (particularly hardware stores) are open for business, any shortages of particular necessities that you are aware of? Of particular interest is the presence, if any, of looting of stores and homes. Can you comment on that? In your opinion, what is the level of the presence and sufficiency of law enforcement in comparison to pre-Odile times? Finally, can you offer your opinion on whether it makes sense or is it even safe for Americans to come to La Paz/Chametla/Centenario/Comitan at this time to check on their property?

In your opinion, is it safe/practical to go to La Paz at this time if you are a home owner in La Paz?

If one were to go to La Paz today, what should we bring for sure and how can we help?

Also, as far as you know, to what extent, if any, are the bank ATMs working? Are stores/Pemex accepting debit cards or credit cards? Any hotels open? Are taxis running? Are any restaurants/OXXO's/Leys open?

Anything info that you can provide would be immensely appreciated.

Very good to hear you made it through safely...very heartening.
MitchMan

[Edited on 9-19-2014 by MitchMan]

azucena - 9-19-2014 at 08:23 AM

Hey Weebray

Great to hear you two are ok. I sent you a u2u and did not hear, so figured internet, power were out. We heard all pretty much ok at the rancho on the East Cape.Sending our best your way

cftlet - 9-19-2014 at 10:00 AM

I have been trying to contact my friends in Los Barriles for several days and have been unable to do so. I have a little casita in Buenas Aires that I would like checked. Is there any Nomad in the area that could help me out? If so please U2U me or call me (541) 661-2148. Any help will be greatly appreciated (there is a six pack this winter in it) .

Ford - 9-19-2014 at 10:08 AM

I have still not heard anything from shipwrecks, our caregivers at Casa panga playa tortuga, or from Lou Quaccia.
I am getting very worried.....

jbcoug - 9-19-2014 at 12:13 PM

Weebray, thanks for your report. Glad to hear you re both safe! That would be. Hell of an experience. It' good to hear first hand info.

Again, anyone heard from Bajajudy, their area got hit hard and we haven't heard a peep from her.

shari - 9-19-2014 at 12:25 PM

holey moley....so many horror stories. Just want people to know that there was gas available as far as Vizcaino with no rationing, stores open, highway a mess but passable. Internet and phone in "Vizcaino but nothing in Asuncion so this will be my last post as I head home in a bit after getting flats of beer to take to the coast. Look forward to getting back online someday.

pauldavidmena - 9-19-2014 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
I pray that my good buddy, George Bergin (OSPREY) will be OK through the storms.
And hopefully they'll receive enough rain to get the underground wells to fill up again.

Udo, I just got an email from George saying that he and his wife Lynda are okay, and that they just got their generator up and running and were beginning to get their bearings. If I had to guess, he'll want to communicate this info himself, but as this is the first I've heard from him, I thought I'd share.

motoged - 9-19-2014 at 03:01 PM

I am also eager to hear from a friend at Laguna Vista (Mary Ellen Mattice) ....anybody have factual info re: how complex was affected????

S/N - 9-19-2014 at 04:07 PM

Friday 19th 5:00pm
Cell & internet service has been re-established in Asuncion. Talked to some people at one of the co-ops and they are going to send a large truck to Ensenada tonight with a load of lobsters so they feel that Mex one is open.
D

elbeau - 9-19-2014 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaojosazul
Quote:

I believe that is the Hyatt Place, close to Mega and Mcdonalds in San Jose (right off the hwy). I have seen other pics of it online along with the shredded side of the Mcdonalds. It is a new hotel, just built within the last year or two.

Truly sad video. The town looks broken.

I don't know what hotel it is. I saw the aerial photo and decided to look along the shoreline using Google Earth and found the satellite picture with the other buildings.

chuckie - 9-19-2014 at 04:13 PM

Uh? Hotels dont seem to be very important right now...Most nomads are not tourists....We are concerned about friends and homes....

elbeau - 9-19-2014 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Uh? Hotels dont seem to be very important right now...Most nomads are not tourists....We are concerned about friends and homes....

^Very True^

I was just answering the question they asked me.

pacsur - 9-19-2014 at 04:29 PM

5:15 pm San Jose - between campestre and gringo hill
I am using home Internet right now, no cel phone service here, need to go by Barcelo and mega.
Land line works, it's the reason I have Internet now using with generator.
I have workers cleaning up about 10 different places where owners are gone, a couple more days I hope?
Got all my ducks in a row, water, food, generator, and Internet, everything except for unlimit gas.
I was able to procure 100liters today for 1500p, I have another bounty out for another 100l for mañana, if I get that I think I'm set until we get power.
I wish everybody the best of luck with the struggle, and if anybody wants to pass me an email who wants to edit and post some pics, I will send when generator is on.
saludos

Bruce R Leech - 9-19-2014 at 04:41 PM

Everyone please when resources are available get what you need and no more,

DON'T HOARD.

BajaDanD - 9-19-2014 at 05:15 PM

Are there any reports from Asuncion yet

woody with a view - 9-19-2014 at 06:08 PM

all good in BA.

Zola - 9-19-2014 at 07:11 PM

Shari,

I'm glad to hear that you made it to Vizcaino! Soon you will be back home :)

Do you know whether it is passable at Vizcaino to San Ignacio? to Santa Rosalia? Any word on the north road to San Juanico?

weebray - 9-19-2014 at 08:21 PM

Sorry for the slow response, we've been busy dealing with life here in a war zone. We had the opportunity to venture out today to check out the city. We can report that the government is throwing a goodly amount of weight into this disaster. CFE is everywhere in the city and power is being restored. Street cleaning is full ON. The things in most demand like atm's/banking potable water and medical services have inordinately long lines. We had no problem filling up at the Pemex. (no waiting albiet no roja) We have not seen or heard of any looting, shoplifting or robberies. The police are present but not that much more than normal. Most of the streets are passable but it does require some "creative" negotiation. We had occasion to visit the hardware store in search of roofing screws. The four we went to were open and the last one had what we were looking for. We did not drive out toward Centenario but have friends that live out there and have managed to negotiate the new waters between there and La Paz. All the normal services are up and running although Ley and Arumburo in the NE of the city are still closed. City water came on and filled our tinacos today. If you have a property here that is not being watched or cared for you may want to come check on it. However, we have owned our house here for 20+ years but only lived here for five. In the past, our gracious neighbors were our guard dogs and in this situation we would have been comfortable with that arrangement. Don't hesitate to come to La Paz but be prepared for some ugliness. Oh yeah, bring some ice, the town is out but the beer is still cold.

Jonno_aus - 9-19-2014 at 10:17 PM

Yeah all good in La Paz. Has been a little bit of looting. Heard a couple gunshots couple nights ago, but most Americans would be used to that. :spingrin:

Lot of damage but that's to be expected with most buildings and structures poorly built. Considering it was only a Cat 1, 2 at best, a lot of damage was sustained. And of course people too stupid or lazy to clean up before it hit. Wonder how many smashed windows due to own debris or neighbours...

Not sure on water and food and how much us available, because I had enough for at least a few weeks as any normal person who prepared well should've.

And only a disaster in the Cabo and southern part. Pretty average storm with pee all rain in the rest. Seems worse due to pee poor construction of buildings, roads and laziness in not preparing. Oh well.

Kgryfon - 9-19-2014 at 10:34 PM

Quote:

After Odile

Well, that just made me want to cry.

Kgryfon - 9-19-2014 at 10:49 PM

I guess it might be hard for some folks to stockpile for just "in case" when they have a hard enough time getting food on the table each and every day. I can understand why they might not have a weeks worth of food and water put aside.

Jonno_aus - 9-20-2014 at 06:41 AM

But they can afford sky tv and iPhones and beer and coke and chips. :rolleyes:

chuckie - 9-20-2014 at 06:51 AM

Those are neccessities...

austriaco - 9-20-2014 at 08:22 AM

Zola,

I got the following message, concerning a trip from Mulege to Guerrero Negro, on facebook just now:

"Drove to Guerrero Negro yesterday, kept a log (ask me if you want to see it) of road conditions and gas availability, but in summary: only place out of gas was San Ignacio; difficulty in getting thru water on road at San Ignacio only--stream running up to license plate over bed of rocks on roadway, hard to pass w/out 4-wheel drive and in high vehicle; major road repair work with long wait times north of Vizcaiino where chunks of highway broke away in northbound lane, one carrying a big Los Pinos truck with it, now drivers' side down in mud at bottom of cavity. The wait featured sticky heat and abundant flies."

weebray - 9-20-2014 at 08:24 AM

I just have to jump in here for a second to countermand the complete misinformation spewing from Jonno_ass. Not sure what bunker he was hiding in but a cat 1 or 2 storm it was not. Your self righteous "holier than thou" attitude would be better served back where you came from. The people most deeply affected here are the poorest. Expecting them to be able to "stock up" for a few weeks is, in a word, stupid. I assume you are trying to troll here because your whole post stinks of brain rot. Maybe you should go out into the colonias and show the poor people how to build hurricane proof houses out of the cardboard, metal signs and tree branches they are able to scrounge up. For the record there has been, practically speaking, NO looting, gun shots, etc. here. If I were the moderator here I would remove your post on the basis that it I counterproductive, inaccurate, ill-conceived, and lacking any compassion that is so sorely needed in this town. I suggest the rest of you ignore this idiot and get on with the good work we need.

lizard lips - 9-20-2014 at 09:37 AM

Has anyone heard from BajaBlanca?

woody with a view - 9-20-2014 at 09:50 AM

she's good!

shari - 9-20-2014 at 10:15 AM

no damage at all in Asuncion..just cleaning up the dust and sand that blew in and dead plants...the highway into here by all the ranchos outside of Vizcaino is in pieces as the water from la sierra made the whole valley a lake...never been so much water coming down...it was still running in some spots yesterday. No trucks can drive on it as the remaining bits of pavement look like they could fall in any time...very unstable in parts.

As I understand it, San Ignacio is very bad...the entrance underwater still and you have to cross in a panga to get to the village. The square is fine. I hear Ignacio Springs got it bad but it is hearsay from people here who have family in San Ignacio. The Oasis Hotel on the highway got very flooded.

the highways are passable

gnukid - 9-20-2014 at 10:25 AM

Reports of looters

¡Ya son 20 los detenidos por saqueo a Costco!
http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n3543150.htm

Caen más con productos robados en LOS CABOS
http://colectivopericu.net/2014/09/19/caen-mas-con-productos...

¡Detienen en La Paz a 5 saqueadores de Costco!
http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n3542021.htm

¡Se acabaron las tiendas OXXO en Los Cabos!
http://colectivopericu.net/2014/09/18/se-acabaron-las-tienda...

¡Saqueo en Oxxos y Supermercados!
http://colectivopericu.net/2014/09/17/saqueo-en-oxxos-y-supe...

Zola - 9-20-2014 at 10:32 AM

Austriaco,

Thanks for the report.

BajaNomad - 9-20-2014 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
Has anyone heard from BajaBlanca?

Last post on Thursday:

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
What a mess - we have no phones no internet and no access out of La Bocana north or south.

...we have no damage at all from the hurricane.it was windy at night but nothing very unusual and none of my plants even moved an inch from where they were on the porch.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=75452

motoged - 9-20-2014 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonno_aus
But they can afford sky tv and iPhones and beer and coke and chips. :rolleyes:

This isn't a good time to blame the victims for their misfortunes :light:

lizard lips - 9-20-2014 at 11:44 AM

Thanks for the update on Blanca. I received a message from someone close to her who was worried. I will let them know.

BajaNomad - 9-20-2014 at 11:53 AM

Quote:

Only a small percentage of the viewers of this site are not tourists. There is a larger proportion of people that regularly post here however, who have more established ties to the various locales/communities along the peninsula.

Over 3,700 daily visitors to the site on average over the past 5 days (from 11,880 unique visitors) - with over 4,000 visitors on Tue and again on Wed. During those 5 days there have been over 345k pageviews. Over 87k pageviews on Tuesday alone.

fyi

[Edited on 9-20-2014 by BajaNomad]

BajaNomad - 9-20-2014 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
Thanks for the update on Blanca. I received a message from someone close to her who was worried. I will let them know.

She just posted again in the past hour (or two?).

monoloco - 9-20-2014 at 12:32 PM

Our internet is still out but a friend was kind enough to loan us her 3g dongle to check in. Things are getting better by the day here in Pescadero and Todos Santos. There is purified water, fuel, and food available, and the cell phones are working. We fared better than 99% of the folks around here, lost 2 solar panels and 1 small bathroom window, the solar system is still working flawlessly. We have 500 kilos of propane in the tank and a 14000 liters of water in the pila so we are good for quite awhile. This is one time when it's really good to be off the grid. During the storm we saw gusts to 150 mph on our weather station and the barometric pressure went as low as 28.14. My boat and trailer was picked up and blown about 50 feet away from where I had parked it. The people in this area are mostly helping each other dig out and put their lives back together, and I have not heard of any major looting locally, aside from a few beer stores the night of the storm. Quite a few locals have lost their roofs so if anyone has building materials laying around that they don't need, please give them to someone who can use them. The electrical grid is a real mess but the Mexican government seems to be making a strong effort to get it back together, there are CFE trucks and helicopters everywhere, along with lots of military. I am really surprised and pleased that there was not a massive loss of life due to this storm, it seems like most people took all the warnings seriously and hunkered down pretty good.

gnukid - 9-20-2014 at 12:52 PM

https://news.vice.com/article/hunger-looting-and-violence-fo...

Cisco - 9-20-2014 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:

Only a small percentage of the viewers of this site are not tourists. There is a larger proportion of people that regularly post here however, who have more established ties to the various locales/communities along the peninsula.

Over 3,700 daily visitors to the site on average over the past 5 days (from 11,880 unique visitors) - with over 4,000 visitors on Tue and again on Wed. During those 5 days there have been over 345k pageviews. Over 87k pageviews on Tuesday alone.

fyi

[Edited on 9-20-2014 by BajaNomad]

Does this mean we need more pages?

gnukid - 9-20-2014 at 01:04 PM

People have left SJD and Cabo in droves. More than 50,000 are reported to have moved to La Paz temporarily and thousands are lined up to go back to mainland. Many postings for construction workers required, clean-up crews, drivers and staff. Business taxes are deferred until december, phones have been credited with minutes. Community efforts underway to remove the trees and branches!

BajaNomad - 9-20-2014 at 01:11 PM

Many photos here:

http://surfskibaja.blogspot.mx

Jonno_aus - 9-20-2014 at 01:14 PM

Um....you guys are the ones spewing the misinformation that La Paz is a 'war zone', and no looting and gun shots and it was more then a cat 1 or 2 hurricane.

Cabo was hit with a cat 3. Not La Paz. Winds will halve at 100 km from the highest winds outside the eye.The eye passed to the west of La Paz and was downgraded to a 2 by then. So MAYBE
La Paz was hit with a 2. I heard someone else mentioned to me personally on the winds they recored and it equated to a cat 1. Maybe the gusts might indicated a 2. Maybe.

US hurricane wind strengths are recored differently then most other parts of the world. The US measure the average over 1 min. In Australia the average is reorded over 10 mins.

I guess it makes the emails back home better right if you say a 3?

It's not a war zone. Usual trees down with high winds. Cabo is a 'war zone'. La Paz is not. I've seen as many trees down in regular thunderstorms back home.

As for the poor, and the 'poor', yes it's hard. But many choose to spend on 'nesessaties' rather then nesessaties. Mexican friend I have here admit it. I've seen plenty of 'poor' ppl buying coke and not water. I've spoken to a guy living under a tree who is saving his money for an iPhone 5. Priorities right?

Plenty WITH money, plenty, who won't bother preparing correctly with the result being many are out of water and food and sustain damage when their own things broke windoes. Plenty of the 'rich' in the same position who never prepared and ran out of water.

So weebray, you were with my friends and myself when we saw looting right in front of us at a store that had been damaged?
You were with us when we heard gunshots and multiple police cars racing down the street? So you would know I guess. You were there.

I think some of you guys think this was a huge distaster here in La Paz. Cabo yes. Here no. We got it easy. Looks worse due to poor construction, poor preparation, poor planning in no evacuation and poor warnings from officials who should take a lot of blame when it was obvious a few days prior a hurricane was approaching cabo and even if it had've gone up the coast, would've resulted in strong winds and rain in La Paz and possible damage.

Heck, even some I knew not doing too bad for themselves didnt prepare, ran out of water and didnt even realise you could boil it and drink the city water. Dear oh dear.

gnukid - 9-20-2014 at 01:33 PM

Hurricanes are very hit and miss, one tree or truck goes flying while the next is fine. My experience is that they sometimes move like fingers or pockets of pressure, wind and rain. Official reports state winds in La Paz up to 150-190km. Depends on your location. Definitely tabla-roca construction is not great in hurricane nor metal or palapa roofs, you see the tile roofs too seemed to suffer damage while cement survives in general. Considering the loss of planes, cars, boats, homes and people there is evidence of the worst hurricane wind of all time for BCS.

Time to rebuild! Clean-up. Start fresh! Great time to lend a hand, share your skills in design, planning, muscle, tools, money, and all resources! throw a path to feed friends who help clean up the street. Please do not rebuild in arroyos or areas where high chance of loss occurs in heavy rain and wind.

If things are really bad for anyone its a great to move away and start over somewhere else.

[Edited on 9-20-2014 by gnukid]

BajaNomad - 9-20-2014 at 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
HURRICANE ODILE INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 21A
500 AM PDT MON SEP 15 2014

LOCATION...24.2N 110.8W
ABOUT 40 MI...60 KM W OF LA PAZ MEXICO

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 110 MPH...175 KM/H...WITH HIGHER GUSTS.

ODILE IS A LARGE HURRICANE. HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 50 MILES...85 KM...FROM THE CENTER.

Jonno_aus - 9-20-2014 at 02:03 PM

Yep. 60 km from La Paz. Winds maybe 175 km/h. Distance means possible 30 kt (55 kmh) difference. Call it 45. Now maybe 130 kmh max sustained over 1 min. Everywhere else its a 10 min average. Take 10 %.

Now 117 kmh average. Usually often a estimate.

In Australia that's a average wind speed on the scale as a violent storm. Higher gusts could indicate a cat 2 cyclone.

As the met Bereau say here - Extent of Significant Winds
The extent of damaging winds will vary between cyclones. More importantly, the most severe winds will be confined to a small area around the outside of the eye.Often people will experience the winds in the outer part of a Category 4 or 5 cyclone. They will believe that they have experienced a major cyclone, yet the winds may have only been Cat 1 or 2 strength.

Cabo got hit with a solid 3 and had left it devastated. Those guys are in need. Many dont have food, water and power. I've already helped with relief because we aren't in need here in La Paz. Life is good. Next few days I'll be donating some food and water.

Rather then worrying how many buildings were destroyed, maybe we can all concentrate on helping the needy. There are many and they need help.

pauldavidmena - 9-20-2014 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Our internet is still out but a friend was kind enough to loan us her 3g dongle to check in. Things are getting better by the day here in Pescadero and Todos Santos. There is purified water, fuel, and food available, and the cell phones are working. We fared better than 99% of the folks around here, lost 2 solar panels and 1 small bathroom window, the solar system is still working flawlessly. We have 500 kilos of propane in the tank and a 14000 liters of water in the pila so we are good for quite awhile. This is one time when it's really good to be off the grid. During the storm we saw gusts to 150 mph on our weather station and the barometric pressure went as low as 28.14. My boat and trailer was picked up and blown about 50 feet away from where I had parked it. The people in this area are mostly helping each other dig out and put their lives back together, and I have not heard of any major looting locally, aside from a few beer stores the night of the storm. Quite a few locals have lost their roofs so if anyone has building materials laying around that they don't need, please give them to someone who can use them. The electrical grid is a real mess but the Mexican government seems to be making a strong effort to get it back together, there are CFE trucks and helicopters everywhere, along with lots of military. I am really surprised and pleased that there was not a massive loss of life due to this storm, it seems like most people took all the warnings seriously and hunkered down pretty good.

Glad to hear you're okay and that you didn't sustain too much damage - also that living off the grid seems to have paid off so well. Mary and I will be up in Las Tunas in March and will definitely look you up if you're planning to be around.

gnukid - 9-20-2014 at 02:45 PM

Interesting, there is much discussion now in La Paz about the varied psychological responses people have to disaster, from the looting by 3 male school teachers, mothers and children, to self-defense groups setup and blocking streets, as well as understatement of facts. All responses can be expected in disaster, how do we adjust to our emotions. Many are suffering now, and will continue to suffer PTSD. Participating in community action to return to normalcy may be the best therapy.

gnukid - 9-20-2014 at 02:51 PM

Imagine how beautiful it would be if all utility services were moved underground!

chuckie - 9-20-2014 at 03:00 PM

Odile did her best to accomplish that....

BajaNomad - 9-20-2014 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonno_aus
Yep. 60 km from La Paz. Winds maybe 175 km/h. Distance means possible 30 kt (55 kmh) difference. Call it 45.

FYI - your statements are in direct conflict with information from those considered to be experts on the topic.

Thank you very much for your concerns and support for La Paz and BCS.

;)

Heather - 9-20-2014 at 04:58 PM

Que milagro! Finally able to speak to my niece from Cabo. She is in La Paz trying to take the ferry and drive to D.F. where her husband has family.
Que milagro is what she said about our camper that is in the 4 De Marzo colonia in CSL. I guess very minimal damage to it and our property there. My stepson and his family have been living there and all are OK. My brother-in-laws place next door also made it through and all are doing as good as could be expected.
She also commented on how sad everything is in San Lucas. She is trying to get some medicine to bring back for her other nana.
Glad we put that extra large pila/tinaco in the ground a few years ago....still water at the trailer.

Odile Over Los Cabos

SFandH - 9-21-2014 at 06:20 AM

bajajudy - 9-23-2014 at 01:21 PM

Hello
I dont have time, internet, power to read this whole thread
BUT if there is anything you can do to help please send donations to whoever is asking
this is really bad
people are hungry
the govt came by twice with boxes but they are surely gone now
we are doing ok but my neighbors need your help
please do what you can.

thanks

this is an email I sent last week

we did survive and better than most. none of our neighbors have roofs. our little bunker withstood all odile blew at it
we lost all the palapa roofs, the two tool sheds, all the trees except for the cocos and the short washintonians, the jeep, the fence
what we did not lose which is a major miracle is our books...how I have no idea but they made it.
'the mexican govt is doing a terrific job. they have been out here with food boxes twice, and water.
our neighbors are wonderful and we now have a VERY special bond with them. we never once worried about looting...not in la choya
we have not driven to town since monday because the GMC died and the ford wont fit under the fallen wires. just got it fixed
this is a great story..... tues we grabbed our gas cans and started walking into town a police pickup truck stopped and motioned for us to get in the crew cab. we threw the cans in the back and jumped in. jim was first. all of a sudden he said....ouch.....he was sitting on one of their guns!
stood in line for 2 1/2 hours, must have been over 100 but got some gas
we are charging everyone's cell phones when we run the generator. one neighbor brought us a couple of gallons of gas to help.

i doubt any of this makes any sense but wanted to let you know we were doing ok
guess we will just start over...had too much chit anyway
love from the flatten earth
judy,jim, eta, pops, azul and ora...the last two are our parakeets.

Pages:  1  ..  5    7