BajaNomad

New truck w/o plates?

Santiago - 10-5-2014 at 07:36 AM

Just replaced my 2007 and am leaving in 5 days for Baja and of course, won't have plates or registration. Anything I should do or have other than the temp reg on the windshield?
Also, the truck is in my Corp's name and I've not done this before, anything I need from the corp?
Thanks
PS: I did remember to contact Lewis Y Lewis.
PPSS: By the way, the new electronic/computer stuff is just crazy. If they put a shower and porta-potty in it I would never have to leave.

watizname - 10-5-2014 at 08:03 AM

What did you get? Nosey minds want to know:biggrin:

woody with a view - 10-5-2014 at 08:15 AM

just have temp papers on windshield. if your insurance doesn't require a notarized letter from the corp i doubt it matters to anyone else.

T minus 11 days!

bajalearner - 10-5-2014 at 08:16 AM

So is your baby an American or Japanese???

I would take any papers you have...purchase order, insurance, loan doc, some corp doc showing your name attached...

David K - 10-5-2014 at 08:20 AM

Jim, there is no problems at all... I took my new Tacoma to Baja the same day I got it. This question has been asked before, and I posted photos of my truck on the beach near El Rosario with only the Toyota Carlsbad plaques where the plates go. Have fun... and don't forget to update your Mexican Auto Insurance policy with the new info!

New 2005 Tacoma, La Bocana Beach, El Rosario:

New 2010 Tacoma, Bahia Santa Maria:

[Edited on 10-5-2014 by David K]

Bob and Susan - 10-5-2014 at 08:25 AM

I've had that problem...just drive to your local DMV...explain your situation to someone that will listen...

they issue a new plate immediately
pay a FEE
the DMV has plates in the office to issue...you may have to get by the clerk to the manager it is a govt office

when the old "new" plates arrive you throw them away

bajalearner - 10-5-2014 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
I've had that problem...just drive to your local DMV...explain your situation to someone that will listen...

they issue a new plate immediately
pay a FEE
the DMV has plates in the office to issue...you may have to get by the clerk to the manager it is a govt office

when the old "new" plates arrive you throw them away

Good idea. I wonder if the fine folks at triple A have that option.

Ateo - 10-5-2014 at 09:19 AM

Yeah, I took my Tundra down with no plates. Had no issues.

rts551 - 10-5-2014 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Yeah, I took my Tundra down with no plates. Had no issues.

no pictures?

On the way back they do check the VIN against your temp paperwork and the computer.

David K - 10-5-2014 at 10:51 AM

They did nothing different with me the times I crossed without a plate, and there were more than the two trips my pictures show... but maybe that has changed since 2010?

sd - 10-5-2014 at 02:27 PM

DO NOT GO WITHOUT PLATES! I took my new Tacoma down several months ago.

a) Stopped at my crossing south (Tecate), checked my windshield registration and no problem.
b) Stopped at a registration check set up on Highway 1, delayed while they checked with a supervisor. 20 minutes, no problem.
c) Federal police in Baja Sur did a u turn and pulled me over. Checked registration, no problem.
d) LA PAZ - PROBLEM! Pulled over by 4 police in a pickup. INFRACTION BS. Would not give my driver license back. Told me about my infraction, SUGGESTED my fine would be $100 US. I had showed them my windshield registration once, and was given it back and I placed it back in the windshield packet. Then 5 minutes later - infraction#2 the officer told me, no seat belt. I had removed it while 3 of them were at my side in order to reach the registration.

They finally after 20 or 30 minutes accepted $30 US, not the $100 they "requested". I was then given my drivers license back.

In my opinion, it is too much of a red flag to be without plates.

My first "donation", didn't let it ruin my day.

DENNIS - 10-5-2014 at 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sd

They finally after 20 or 30 minutes accepted $30 US, not the $100 they "requested". I was then given my drivers license back.

Sorry you had to go through all that cultural interchange. Puro BS...fer sure.

That's the reason I make copy licenses...actually copy everything....Perm Res...passport card...military ID...everything.

Buy a laminator from Amazon....25 bucks and get creative.
Just to satisfy the counterfeiting notion, I write clearly, but discretely, COPIA on the front and back of the copy.

Hey...they want to keep my license.... good. It's theirs. I have fifty more just like it.

[Edited on 10-5-2014 by DENNIS]

sd - 10-5-2014 at 04:28 PM

Well said Dennis, my trip planning was not good. I had only my real drivers license, only the one copy of temporary registration in my windshield, traveling alone and no one had a clue where I was. Your advise is exactly what I should have had.

Sad, if they had stopped me, shared some laughs and asked me to buy them lunch or beers I would have gladly done so. I moved on and continued with my fun. My brother flew down for some fishing, and I had him bring me my license plates for my drive home.

Hope your day is a great one!

Pescador - 10-5-2014 at 04:45 PM

When I got the new Dodge, I just put on the old plates before the border and it just stopped all the problems. Sometimes it is better if they don't get a chance to ask all the questions. I did not drive through Ca. with the plates on though, cause that is not where the problem would originate and they know how to handle "no plates".

David K - 10-5-2014 at 05:21 PM

sd , what happened to you was a La Paz BS shakedown and was not because having no plates broke any law, it didn't. I am surprised because the La Paz Nomads say nothing bad ever happens in Baja Sur (or used to?)! Sorry it happened!!

If you did not break any law, then don't reward them with any money! Call them on it, insist that you go to the station... and they will let you go to find easier prey.

Having a new truck (and the Toyota is #1 in Baja) is what got their attention... Get it good and dirty next time before getting to La Paz!

I am guessing that Santiago is heading for L.A. Bay and not out of the state of Baja (Norte), as I had done... with my last two new Tacomas. No border stop, no registration stop and no police stops... I am just lucky I guess???

Finally if you want, print this and apply it to your back and side windows... it is supposed ro be like garlic to a vampire (or is that to a werewolf?)! No I don't use it, but some like more protection:

sd - 10-5-2014 at 05:32 PM

i appreciate the sticker David. Yes, a shakedown in La Paz, on the major street heading south. They tired me out, 20-30 minute detainment for $30. La Paz is a shakedown town now, many have experienced what happened to me. Dennis has the info I should have followed, I didn't even have a extra copy of my temporary registration.

With 4 checks, I would never go without plates again, too much hassle.

Oh, and you travel with an Angel, so you have safety.

David K - 10-5-2014 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sd
i appreciate the sticker David. Yes, a shakedown in La Paz, on the major street heading south. They tired me out, 20-30 minute detainment for $30. La Paz is a shakedown town now, many have experienced what happened to me. Dennis has the info I should have followed, I didn't even have a extra copy of my temporary registration.

With 4 checks, I would never go without plates again, too much hassle.

Oh, and you travel with an Angel, so you have safety.

Yes indeed! Thank you... and I understand the pressure they put on you. I sure would report them to the tourism department in La Paz... Tourism is a major resource for the area.

Hope it never happens to you again!

BajaWarrior - 10-6-2014 at 03:49 PM

We were driving through Mexicali with our new truck with the paper plates towing this trailer with this truck on it and got pulled over by a motorcycle cop for not having "real plates". Took about 5 minutes on the side of the road to talk my way out of that one... My wife was pretty upset about the whole thing as we had not been pulled over for anything in a very long time so getting pulled over for not having plates can happen, just luck of the draw...

woody with a view - 10-6-2014 at 03:56 PM

next time someone is pulled over for something so stupid, why don't you ask the turd with a straight face, "I thought you had a job to do? Does your job include making up facts to suit you and stealing money from tourists? I'd love to verify this with the Juez, senior!"

BajaWarrior - 10-6-2014 at 04:10 PM

Agreed Woody,

It gets old, I've been traveling Baja since high school and had to pay a few times but for very minor trumped up offenses.

So the Motorcycle cop takes me to the back of the Toyota on the trailer and points out what a real "placa" looks like. Had to have a little chuckle as he pointed to the "tourist plate ALASKA". (This truck has been in Baja for 20 years now and is on a green sticker ie: California Off Highway registration)

We were outa there in 5 minutes but still it never feels good getting pulled over

vacaenbaja - 10-6-2014 at 05:43 PM

I was pulled over in La Paz Back in 1981 in my brand new truck for the blatant

crime against society

known as FALTA DE PLACAS

I was leaving La Paz to go to Los Barriles

to pick up some shrimp that I had left at a friends house.

Just as I was outside of

the City Limits of la Paz I was pulled over by the Federales de los Caminos.

I was told that the law was clear that all vehicles must have plates and that

my truck must be impounded. My truck was packed to the gills with fish and

equipment. There was no talk of bail or mordida. Apparently they wanted the

truck. I was allowed to remove all of my stuff to the sidewalk. It was a difficult

thing to find a cab that could fit all the stuff. Had to rent a hotel fast and get

back to find someone who could help. I finally ended up on the Malecon at the

tourist help kiosk. There I found some people that were very sympathetic to

my situation. They said that the damn police were at it again! They were told

already to stop harassing the tourist, as tourism was suffering at that time.

They felt confident that they could help me out quickly...until they asked

which police department had impounded my car. When I told them that it was

the Federales de ls Caminos they were visibly crestfallen.

"You mean that

they pulled you over outside the city limits?" "yes" I said. They said "OH No!

That will make things more difficult." Long story short they arranged an

audiance withe the Official in charge. I had to literally beg

my case to of the Head of the Federales de los Caminos BCS to please

release my

truck. The man was VERY STERN. You would have thought that I had

commited some terrible crime against his daughter. After staring me

down and lecturing that Mexico has LAWS, he said "you Americans think that

you can

just come

down here and ignor the law . I am going to make an exception and release

your truck. But you will HAVE TO PAY THE FINE!"

I was worried. Would I have enough money? How much? $500? $1000?

To my peeed off relief it was only about $5 US. I gave my thanks and ran to

the cashier

office which was about to close not only for the weekend, but woulld be closed

Monday for some holiday. I whipped out my $5 US and was told No Senor

solamente PESOS. Where was I going to find someone to change my money?

No one on the street would consider exchange until I wipped out a $20 US

and

said that I need to pay a fine in Pesos. Give me that amount and you can keep

the rest of the $20. That worked, although the guy was supicious as to if the

bill was fake. Bottom line get plates if you can, some cops are just looking for

a reason.

Over heard once in a police station "The wheels of justice in Mexico do not

move quickly, they stroll

along moved by the grease of the greenback."

David K - 10-6-2014 at 07:31 PM

Nice bumper sticker Chuck! :light:

BajaWarrior - 10-7-2014 at 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Nice bumper sticker Chuck! :light:

yep, that's an oldie but a goodie!

GotmoreBajastickers?

David K - 10-7-2014 at 12:56 PM

You know that Antonio (BajaCactus) made those stickers for me back in 2006 at his family Tijuana printing business... the 'got baja?' hats, too came thanks to Antonio's connections (good to have 'got baja?' made in Baja!).

Even older are my Viva Baja stickers from 2000 and 2002, before I got the new web url vivabaja.com (it was davidksbaja.com). Here is that one, with the url modified...

Santiago - 10-23-2014 at 05:55 AM

Update: No problems anywhere except crossing NB at SY: they needed to see something with the VIN on it to confirm with the VIN on the truck - insurance receipt sufficed.

David K - 10-23-2014 at 06:44 AM

Nice... :bounce:

With us the only negative experience with law enforcement is never in Mexico, but often when trying to get back in our own country!! :lol::o

rts551 - 10-23-2014 at 07:36 AM

Think I said something about the VIN earlier. hey are just verifying ownership. Probably a good thing.

[Edited on 10-23-2014 by rts551]