BajaNomad

the oct 3-5 gonzo fly-in, any still going?

capt. mike - 8-28-2003 at 02:05 PM

before amigos sailed into cyber-heaven we had a thread going for a fly-in to gonzaga. if any of those planning on it have migrated here, how about lets pick up the chatter and see if its still on.

Gonzaga

Mike Humfreville - 8-28-2003 at 03:03 PM

Capt Mike - Mary Ann and I are planning to be there.

David K - 8-28-2003 at 05:24 PM

I am planning on it... Only issue would be school missed (if any) for my two teenagers... October is one of the finest weather months in Baja.

mcgyver - 8-28-2003 at 06:39 PM

Since We will be in residence at Campo Christina we will be there. Save us a tent spot.
Max

Braulio - 8-28-2003 at 07:01 PM

I'm planning on driving (not flying) down from Mexicali but haven't made reservations or anything.

Look forward to it.

Braulio.

Bedman - 8-29-2003 at 12:39 AM

Change of plans for me Mike, The Missus decided she was going to play hookie from school and come with me. Only problem is she refuses to ride in the motorhome from La Chapala to Gonzaga.:lol: Any volunteers willing to carry a large tightly wrapped squirming bundle? Looks like we'll be close by in L.A. Bay.

Bedman

Sgt Bob - 8-29-2003 at 05:45 AM

I still have it on my calender!! :bounce:

fishuntr - 8-29-2003 at 02:42 PM

I gotta figure out how to get my little tin boat down there w/out the roof rack.(It is due for major mods). Anyway Rowdy & I will be there even if we have to shore fish. I hope there is room . I sleep in my shell camper.

BEDMAN

Mike Humfreville - 8-29-2003 at 03:30 PM

Hey Steve, Mary Ann and I will be continuing south after the Gonzaga weekend. We've got a spot reserved at Gecko for that week. See ya there!

Hey Bedman......

Debra - 8-29-2003 at 04:04 PM

I thought Emma was now the pro Moho driver on that route, what happened? I know Brendan and Cody prefered her driving, LOL!!!!

Dinner

Desertbull - 8-29-2003 at 05:48 PM

That's too bad Steve...I had planned to buy you and Emma dinner at Antonios for the big dinner I owe ya':P

We gotta talk about suspension...I think I've got it dialed in. With the new bypass 2.5 King Shocks...the DesertTank is rolling on the washboard at very comfortable speeds and the drive from San Felipe to Gonzaga is no different than riding the 91 freeway...no exaggeration at all...you'd be shocked. A passenger could easily drink a Martini without spillage if that was allowed in my truck...It's desert racing technology turned towards vehicles that everyday people use in the dirt.

Last weekend we ran 100 miles of dirt road in North Baja on the Pacific side testing out the newly installed system...and it was comfy and unbelievable.

Stay tuned for the latest updates...

Desertbull:cool::o

Bedman - 8-29-2003 at 08:01 PM

JJ, There are some pretty neat foam pads designed for canoes. they fit snugly over the rails and just might do the trick!! Check them out at any sporting goods store that sells canoes.

Mike and MA, We'll keep a fire burning for you and maybe even a BOX of Vino!!

Tim, Dinners only a deal IF your better half comes too! That way we can quietly slip out the back while they Gab and go wet a line.

Hmmm..King Shocks? Do they make them for 30,000 pounders? Web site?

Bedman

sounds like a lot of partyers going to be there

capt. mike - 8-29-2003 at 08:12 PM

glad to hear it. All need to know that the BBP has booked Irma's solid for fri nite but sat they head south. earlier i thought they were only doing lunch there. Anyway, Gonzaga will be rockin' that fri!
sounds like a good weekend to pack a lot of camp gear if you're going.

fisheater

Fisheater - 8-29-2003 at 10:02 PM

I wouldn't miss it for the world. :D)

Brandi - 8-29-2003 at 10:11 PM

Hey ya'll! Long time no talk...see...post...etc....
Arriving SLG October 2 with Etta and my family (13 total) and am anxiously awaiting to see everyone again. Flying down middle of September to get things ready for such a large group....if there are any arrangements I can make, or reservations I can request, let me know and I'll be more than happy to do so. Saludos mis amigos....hasta todos en octubre.....

surfer jim - 8-29-2003 at 10:55 PM

Wanted to go and now found out the Off-Road Expo is the same weekend...I hate these kind of choices....

Gonzaga Bay Bash Oct 3-5

bonanza bucko - 8-31-2003 at 07:32 AM

There might be a parking problem for airplanes in front of Antonio and Erma's cantina because of the 20 birds that will be there from the Baja Bush Pilots on Friday night. There is plenty of parking at either the east or west end of the Rancho Grande strips which are about a mile south of Alfonsina's. There are only two tie downs though...bring your own.

If the wind blows you'll need them!!

If you haven't landed on Alfonsina's beach strip before be advised that it looks bad on final but it's a good runway. It has pot holes....keep your yoke in your gut while taxiing and take it slow.

If you are at all unsure of landing there please us the Rancho Grande strips....one will always be into the wind. Alfy's strip is N/S and always has a cross wind from the beach or the mountains east and west. It is also likely that there will be a lot of airplanes parked at the north end of the beach strip...all the BBP types...and doing a go around if you screw up could be dicey.

The Rancho Grande strips are very good....6200 feet long and 140 feet wide made of packed DG. No pot holes. Avoid the edges of the runways because there have been some washouts there that you can't see until you are on top of them....again go slow and keep your eyes open.

Park facing West because that's where the strong afternoon winds come from. Rest of the time the wind is usually off the sea (east) or from the north.

Rodriguez usually charges $10 to park out there...per trip not per day...and he will send a truck down from his "7-11" at the west end of 9/27 if he wants the money...he will then give you a lift to Afly's.

See you there.:D!

landing and going

Sgt Bob - 9-1-2003 at 04:38 PM

:light:Gosh, BB, do you think it would be safer to use the alternate ,even if we're able to get there early? Have you checked the tide chart?
We're planing to stop over at the house in Puertocitos for the night and deliver goods and such. ;D

10-3 fly in at Alfy's

bonanza bucko - 9-1-2003 at 08:45 PM

SGT Bob:

No problema: Low tide all week end. Only problema will be the BBP types and a moderate wait at the cantina for comidas which are always good.

The high tide is the next weekend and that is the best weekend of the year!....you get moonlight, sunlight and firelight (from your campfire) all at the same time as you are drinking yer cerveza in the surf.

It don't get no better.

Alfonsinas Fly in

Mexflyer - 9-4-2003 at 09:32 AM

Just some quick input with over 25 years of Mexico flying experience.. Regarding Alfonsina's and the Fly In... It sounds like with 2 flying clubs (with some driving) arriving for the same weekend, it is my guess that the staff and resources will be overwhelmed, Food and drinks could run out. Aircraft parking will be extremely tight as I am told the BBP is bringing at least 20 airplanes and this group might have 4-5??.. Plus the locals that have Aircraft and homes. Best of luck to all and you will find me further South..

fly-in

meme - 9-4-2003 at 09:55 AM

I think you are so right Mexflyer. Having been to Alfonsinas several times I know they do very well most times but think this will be pretty hard for them. Just a personal in-put as you say!
Yes, they may have a problem with food & drink and service I'm sure! They do thier best but crowds are very hard!!!:(

BBP ARE ONLY STAYING ONE NITE

capt. mike - 9-4-2003 at 10:22 AM

should not be a problem except for anyone that wants a room fri - sold out. sat is clear and camping is wherever. i might stay fri in PSFO and pop over to alfis late a.m. after the BBP has blasted off.:bounce:

this just in from BBP central.

capt. mike - 9-4-2003 at 12:19 PM

In the interest of safety as well as overtaxing services at Alfonsina's on the BBP's "Explore the Sea of Cortez" trip on October 3, we will not be staying at Alfonsina's Friday night. Those on the trip should expect the trip letter about two weeks prior to the trip.

this gesture exemplifies what a class act the BBP are.

Oct fly in

Baja Ma - 9-4-2003 at 10:40 PM

Just not in the cards yet as we plan to be camping in San Felipe around the 1st week in Oct. But sooner or later we'll get to meet you all!! :yes:
One day soon!!
Baja Ma.

Brandi - 9-5-2003 at 09:15 AM

Just a quick note to let everyone know that I will be forwarning Irma & Antonio (which if the rooms are sold out, they are already expecting a crowd) to expect even more people. I'll be driving, so if they need more supplies, I'll be happy to bring them with me. See you soon!:spingrin:

brandi - the BBP has cancelled

capt. mike - 9-5-2003 at 12:40 PM

so they cancelled all of the rooms (the whole place was reserved for the BBP). which means they will have the ability to sell out to others now. may see you down there fri. or sat .
later!

Baja Bush Pilots trip, Oct 3rd

Mexflyer - 9-5-2003 at 03:34 PM

After a quick chat with the fine folks at the Baja Bush Pilots they have moved back to the Bay of LA friday night, Serinidad Saturday, and over ty Guymas on Sunday night.. FYI

Anyone ever done Central America with the BBP? They have a heck of a trip posted www.bajabushpilots.com
Any input?

BBP cenam trips

capt. mike - 9-6-2003 at 05:39 AM

several of my friends have done those with "El Jefe". He does an outstanding job managing a most difficult logistic. If you can swing the cost its well worth the experience. I will do it one day. I have flown myself solo to Yucatan, almost got to Gualamata. Next time i'll make it to Beleze.

Comms with Alfonsina's

bonanza bucko - 9-7-2003 at 08:16 AM

Does anyone know if the new Sat Phone system which is supposed to include a fax for reservations at Alfy's cantina is complete? Last trip down there in late July they had completed the cement block switching station and were starting to lay lines in PVC to the cantina and the gas estacion out across from Rodriguez's Rancho Grande. It sure would be nice to get to talk to Antonio y Erma about loading up on more camarones grandes for the 10-3 to 5 Bash.

Brandi: Have you been down there lately?

Capt. Mike...nice work re the BBPs.

Brandi - 9-7-2003 at 11:08 AM

Bucko -
Drove down with Heather in late July and that ugly electronic gizmo was up and a fence around it, but not operational yet. What an eyesore! See you in October!

sounds like a festiva grande is in the works

capt. mike - 9-7-2003 at 04:40 PM

sure hope i can make it! Brandi, save me a spot in front of your lot!

anyone know Dave from Paladin aviation at Brown field? he has a new palapa lease from rod riguez at rancho grande.

Alfonsina's sat phone

bonanza bucko - 9-8-2003 at 05:04 PM

Brandi et al: ....totally agree that the new building and fence are ugly. I also kinda doubt the underground coax is gonna last long under all that salt water.

Re the fence: It's 12 feet high and has razor wire on top of that. The gate is locked with a chain and a big, big lock. Only problema is that the gate is on hinges that can be removed with a pliers and they were installed upside down so the wind blew the gate open. But nobody would fix it because the fence and the sat phone system belonged to the big company that is far, far away.....no matter that the new phone system will greatly benefit all the businesses there and some have wanted it for a long time....you don't touch something that belongs to the Padrone!

That's Mexico and it will be that way forever.

Good.

just keeping this alive until.....

capt. mike - 9-21-2003 at 07:05 AM

i'm up in the air over this - its competing with one at PSFO same weekend....who'd a thunk? 2 killer venues - can't decide which/where to go.... fun times and friends at both, ........helppppp!!!

Gonzaga

Mike Humfreville - 9-21-2003 at 11:28 AM

Mary Ann and I are planning on stopping off for a night in San Felipe (Thurs-Fri Oct 1-2) and then doing Gonzaga over the weekend and then on to Bahia de Los Angeles. However, if no one is hooking up at Alfonsinas, maybe we'll go straight to Bahia????? Who is still planning on Gonzaga over that weekend????