BajaNomad

Motorcycle run Puertecitos-Cataviņa-Mission Sta. Maria-Gonzaga

David K - 12-18-2014 at 06:29 PM

I have been on the phone and texting the past 24 hours with some off road racing folks who want to do a casual motorcycle run from Hwy. 5 near Puertecitos up the Bill Nichols Rock Trail to Hwy. 1 (Cataviņa) then to Mission Santa Maria and try and ride on El Camino Real back down to Hwy. 5 and end at Punta Final. The trip will be sometime in the next 30 days.

The leader of the group will have a Spot device and has offered to share the ride through me to other Baja back country enthusiasts.

The terrain is very rough and the Camino Real route above the canyon of Santa Maria was built after the Franciscans took over the California missions in 1768.

I stressed it is dangerous to do on motorbikes, but it has been done (Malcolm Smith, Kevin Ward, and some on Rokons Willardguy mentioned, etc.), so the challenge is out there.

IF the trail is too dangerous, then the group will go around and use the La Turquesa Canyon route, made famous here on Baja Nomad by The squarecircle and TW (former Baja racer).

Hopefully we will have a new Baja Nomad who shares the exciting world of desert off roading on the Baja California peninsula.

Related posts: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=22941

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=22775

Region of interest... approx route of the Bill Nichols trail is at the top, the El Camino Real is east from the mission, and the La Turquesa trail is the optional south route back to Punta Final (called San Francisquito on this 1975 map). New Hwy. 5 location at Gonzaga drawn in.

TMW - 12-18-2014 at 08:20 PM

Sounds interesting, do they need any support help? I have a trip planned over the MLK holiday weekend for several days but otherwise I could carry some water bottles.

El Sauz - 12-18-2014 at 09:22 PM

Driving motorcycles on a remote part of the el camino real like that seems kind of disrespectful. It is an archaeological feature after all and in another country to boot. Maybe try to suggest the mine route. Is the el camino real near Santa Maria already so messed up that it does not matter?

[Edited on 12-19-2014 by El Sauz]

mtgoat666 - 12-18-2014 at 09:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Sauz  
Driving motorcycles on a remote part of the el camino real like that seems kind of disrespectful. It is an archaeological feature after all and in another country to boot. Maybe try to suggest the mine route. Is the el camino real near Santa Maria already so messed up that it does not matter?

[Edited on 12-19-2014 by El Sauz]

Unfortunately, many off roaders disrespect the land. The road was used for foot and animal travel, and has mostly returned to nature. Now idiots want to scar the land with vehicles, which leads to more vehicles, and pretty soon the roads look like crap, the country is overrun with more drunks in off road vehicles,.... And another place for solitude is lost.
I am sure DK will support the yahoos, he believes a roadless area must be roaded. We can only hope they faiil and turn back.

David K - 12-18-2014 at 10:12 PM

The El Camino Real route was their idea not mine. I stressed it could be dangerous. The trail is no more than a cow track and not the Jesuit style road that is south of San Borja. The weather does far more damage than bikes anyway. Nice that the mission route can be enjoyed. Baja is far more durable than you credit her with. If they find it unsafe then they will use La Turquesa. If you can't enjoy some human adventure the off roading forum is probably not a rewarding page to read?

David K - 12-18-2014 at 10:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Sounds interesting, do they need any support help? I have a trip planned over the MLK holiday weekend for several days but otherwise I could carry some water bottles.
Hi Tom, I mentioned you. Thanks. These guys do many Baja m/c runs and were referred to me by Cameron who knows I have been on both ends of ECR east of the mission. See u2u.

David K - 12-18-2014 at 10:31 PM

One more point, much of the El Camino Real has been turned into auto roads or vanished from weather. So please go find it, enjoy it, photograph it to preserve it with photos, and stories!

paranewbi - 12-19-2014 at 06:15 AM

"Unfortunately, many off roaders disrespect the land. The road was used for foot and animal travel, and has mostly returned to nature. Now idiots want to scar the land with vehicles, which leads to more vehicles, and pretty soon the roads look like crap, the country is overrun with more drunks in off road vehicles,.... And another place for solitude is lost.
I am sure DK will support the yahoos, he believes a roadless area must be roaded. We can only hope they faiil and turn back."

Really Mr. Goat? Baseless accusations? Desires of failure?
Perhaps you should observe some of the things DK has pointed out to us in his quest to take note of the historical content of the land you have tread over in Baja, not to mention those easy access paved roads you have driven down.

And as you, DK and I all live in San Diego...this area is rife with "idiots" who have "scar(red) the land with their vehicles"...and might I add, with their toilets to!

willardguy - 12-19-2014 at 10:50 AM

yeah yeah yeah....and im sure the Indians complained about the Franciscan's beating up their pristine foot trail with their pack animals!:rolleyes:

David K - 12-19-2014 at 11:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
yeah yeah yeah....and im sure the Indians complained about the Franciscan's beating up their pristine foot trail with their pack animals!:rolleyes:

:light:

It's a trail over natural desert, quite more friendly to the environment than bulldozing a graded road or paving a highway, with all the death and destruction to Nature that causes!

Let's enjoy other's Baja adventures, they are going to happen even if nothing is posted here. At least this way, others can learn about the back country of Baja, the history, and many other things. To not ever post here about Baja adventures (because they don't jive with the PC crowd) is like putting your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't happen.

Thank you to the leader of this ride for wanting to share his group's fun with others. Many of us can no longer ride motor bikes, or hike, or even leave home due to age, health, finances, etc.

Viva Baja... thanks to Baja Nomad, adventure isn't just for the few!:cool:

StuckSucks - 12-19-2014 at 11:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Now idiots want to scar the land with vehicles, which leads to more vehicles, and pretty soon the roads look like crap, the country is overrun with more drunks in off road vehicles

sniff ... sniff ... do I smell Barbara Boxer?

OFFROADERS

MEXICOMA - 12-19-2014 at 12:18 PM

our group lives for Baja, we cherish the land as well as the people.
we do trail maintenance and trash removal from the sites we ride to.

ehall - 12-19-2014 at 12:18 PM

I am very interested. Was planning a bike trip in Jan.

David K - 12-19-2014 at 12:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MEXICOMA  

WELCOME to Baja Nomad! Glad to have you on board as we together try and treat our addiction and happily suffer with 'Baja Fever'!

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Martyman - 12-19-2014 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Now idiots want to scar the land with vehicles, which leads to more vehicles, and pretty soon the roads look like crap, the country is overrun with more drunks in off road vehicles

sniff ... sniff ... do I smell Barbara Boxer?

Yeah Goat - we are the dominant species here and it is our god given right to scar and screw the world. Where's my gill net?

4x4abc - 12-19-2014 at 12:34 PM

so, Seņor paranewbi, no Moon or Mars exploration either? Imagine all the tracks on virgin ground!

By the way, the reason why you have a comfortable life in San Diego is that someone blazed a trail, made a road, built highways - many highways. We kinda need them to move around - since we are not birds.

I am with you on criticizing the ones who damage dirt roads and trails. But it's kinda human, we tend to damage stuff when we use it. Then leave the repairs to others. Nothing new here.

Your bottom line seems to be, that we should all have stayed in Africa?

David K - 12-19-2014 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
so, Seņor paranewbi, no Moon or Mars exploration either? Imagine all the tracks on virgin ground!

By the way, the reason why you have a comfortable life in San Diego is that someone blazed a trail, made a road, built highways - many highways. We kinda need them to move around - since we are not birds.

I am with you on criticizing the ones who damage dirt roads and trails. But it's kinda human, we tend to damage stuff when we use it. Then leave the repairs to others. Nothing new here.

Your bottom line seems to be, that we should all have stayed in Africa?

Actually paranewbi was "quoting" MtGoat666 in the first half, he just didn't use the quote feature to separate goat from his thoughts (which share ours Harald).

[Edited on 12-19-2014 by David K]

4x4abc - 12-19-2014 at 12:56 PM

my apologies to Seņor paranewbi

El Sauz - 12-19-2014 at 01:36 PM

Oops, didn't mean to start something. I have been lurking long enough I should have known better :)

I am not against off roading, actually it would be great if a fun off road route was built in the section where people feel compelled to use the old mission trail. That would be a win-win.

The biggest draw of back country travel is the freedom. That freedom means we often have to decide for ourselves what is or isn't appropriate. One could make the argument that the mine road is just as important as a historic feature as the mission road. I guess for me the line lies somewhere between a bulldozed mine road and a mission trail hand built by a people who no longer exist.

rts551 - 12-19-2014 at 02:03 PM

Sometimes I can not believe the people on this site. To say that vehicles do not change the landscape in absurd. They do.

Now, we are off-roaders, with many more explorations and races under our belts than the so-called experts. Please, if you see something of historical importance like an ancient trail....do not ride on it..it is akin to painting over cave drawings.

If some continue to abuse the country side in their occasional visits to this beautiful country they will ruin it for everyone.

rts551 - 12-19-2014 at 02:11 PM

David, to say the weather does more damage than bikes and vehicles...well guess I should have figured. The reason there are trails/tracks/roads across the desert is because the scarring can not be overcome by weather for a very long time. Pls people...tread lightly and use established trails.

burnrope - 12-19-2014 at 02:19 PM

I've witnessed the MESSICANS(pun intended) doing far more damage to the environment of Baja than Gringos.

Ralph and others, try reading this again...

David K - 12-19-2014 at 02:38 PM

There is no better off roader than ones who are responsible as these guys are. Oh, and Ralph, they are professional off road racers, that was mentioned earlier as well. It is those who use 2WD where only 4WD should go who scar the road base with spinning tires. Typically locals who have no choice but use 2WD trucks to move supplies and people. Finally, one has to realize that this is our planet too, we weren't planted here and are counter to the natural order, we are part of the natural order. I think the good Nomads do far outweigh the bad, and even clean up after the locals, in their own country that we love just as much if not more.

EL CAMINO REAL near Gonzaga Bay

David K - 12-19-2014 at 03:12 PM

Howard Gulick plotted the El Camino Real during his explorations in the 1950's. This is part of his unpublished map of the mission road in Baja.

This map created in 1977 for Harry Crosby shows the approx. route of the mission road (trail) in the region of Mission Santa Maria, which is just over a dozen miles west of Gonzaga Bay and a dozen miles east of Cataviņa/ Santa Ynez (Ines).

The Jesuits were first to establish the mission site (May, 1767) and used the canyon and a side trail up from the canyon near the west end to get out of it for the first El Camino real to the mission. It was a dangerous and difficult route with boulders and pools to cross. Burros and mules had a difficult time.

The Jesuits were removed from their California missions in December 1767 and January 1768. Four months later, the Franciscans replaced the Jesuits and found only stick and palm log shacks at Santa Maria, so it was they who had the adobe church and warehouse constructed in 1768-1769. Sometime in the Franciscan period, the El Camino Real was removed from the canyon bottom and placed high adobe along the north rim of the canyon.

High resolution satellite images are now online that permit one to see the actual trail. It is only a foot or two wide animal track that follows the natural terrain with only a couple of switchback sections. It is not at all like the Jesuit built Camino Real (4+ feet wide, level, straight runs, switchback grades) one can see south from San Borja to San Javier & Loreto.

Just south of San Borja, a Jesuit-era 'kilometer' marker:

Harry Crosby photo.

Stay tuned to see the latest satellite images...

EL CAMINO REAL to Santa Maria, west of Hwy. 5

David K - 12-19-2014 at 03:36 PM

Bing Maps has the entire section in highest resolution. Google Earth only has the west 1/4 in high resolution. First a high, overall view... then a drop down close up along the way from where the trail climbs out of Arroyo Santa Maria to where it drops into the mission valley.

Straight down from #1, see the auto road end at the edge of the arroyo. This is coming from Hwy. 5, and 0.8 mile west of a fork that goes down to Las Palmitas oasis.

The bulldozed road below the Camino Real here was made in the 60's by Fred Hampe in an attempt to connect to Punta Final from Rancho Santa Ynez. The effort ended here, 2 miles from the mission (16 1/2 miles from Santa Ynez).

Note the 'bulldozed' auto road, here about 1.5 miles east of the mission, parallel to the Camino Real. A switchback, rock lined trail connects the two near the middle of this image, below the #13.

Here is a higher view of the area, and one can see the end of the road construction at the rim of the canyon, and the older trail (also called Indian Trail) that drops into the canyon.

Road at arroyo, both ends of arroyo section (#15-#16)

Road from Arroyo (#15) to Mission (#14)

Mission Santa Maria (1767-1774)

[Edited on 12-19-2014 by David K]

rts551 - 12-19-2014 at 04:04 PM

Yes some "professional" off-road racers are the worst. DOn't know where you got that makes them OK...If they are your friends,,,,Oh well makes everything that much more questionable. Do they also think that god will fix the road after they leave? I have not seen too many locals tearing up the Camino Real....Gringos who think they need to use up the planet yes..... I will say it again...stay on existing trails like responsible off-roaders do. not the 1 week wonder. Its already getting harder for us to set up courses. we do not need help from the likes of DK.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

There is no better off roader than ones who are responsible as these guys are. Oh, and Ralph, they are professional off road racers, that was mentioned earlier as well. It is those who use 2WD where only 4WD should go who scar the road base with spinning tires. Typically locals who have no choice but use 2WD trucks to move supplies and people. Finally, one has to realize that this is our planet too, we weren't planted here and are counter to the natural order, we are part of the natural order. I think the good Nomads do far outweigh the bad, and even clean up after the locals, in their own country that we love just as much if not more.

El Sauz - 12-19-2014 at 07:44 PM

You say the riders are responsible. I believe you. That's good news, it means they will not be riding a group of motorcycles on a remote section of the historic mission trail which was hand built by an extinct people.
Problem solved.

David K - 12-19-2014 at 11:46 PM

The Off Roading forum is the correct forum for the subject. The 150 mile run may use about 8 miles of path that was used by missionaries... may use. Cows and others use it year round. No need for hysteria or panic.

rts551 - 12-20-2014 at 08:46 AM

My tongue is bleeding from all the biting. What arrogance when someone thinks they "love" Mexico more than the people that live here and have lived here for years.
Yes, it is our planet and what better reason to take care of it.

I am glad these guys do trail maintenance and trash removal. So many others do not because they believe the earth is here to be used.

mtgoat666 - 12-20-2014 at 09:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
My tongue is bleeding from all the biting. What arrogance when someone thinks they "love" Mexico more than the people that live here and have lived here for years.
Yes, it is our planet and what better reason to take care of it.

I am glad these guys do trail maintenance and trash removal. So many others do not because they believe the earth is here to be used.

Rts, you are arguing with an idiot, and he is an idiot that with an inexhaustible supply of idiocy, so you won't win an argument with him... So you best Chillax and argue for fun rather than argue to win.

We all know that off roaders that travel off of existing routes to make new routes, cause new land scars, are wrong, and arguing with the buttcracks that think it right is fruitless.

bajalearner - 12-20-2014 at 09:29 AM

Would this be a one day run? Then ride back to the vehicles?

David K - 12-20-2014 at 10:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajalearner  
Would this be a one day run? Then ride back to the vehicles?

I think MEXICOMA has a place at Gonzaga, so I esteimate it is about a 150 mile loop, so yes, one day is doable if that's their plan.

It is also quite likely they may avoid the Camino Real as it is not the safest route along the side of the canyon walls. I did tell him Graham's burro twice fell on it, and Graham abandoned that exit and went back to Hwy. 1 to continue south (Journey with a Baja Burro, 1997). It is only an animal path in this area, and not the wide/well built Jesuit road as seen further south.

4x4abc - 12-20-2014 at 11:22 AM

Rts, you are arguing with an idiot, and he is an idiot that with an inexhaustible supply of idiocy, so you won't win an argument with him... So you best Chillax and argue for fun rather than argue to win.

interesting - I though we are here for a conversation about Baja, to exchange information and ideas. Why would we need to win something?

David K - 12-20-2014 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

interesting - I though we are here for a conversation about Baja, to exchange information and ideas. Why would we need to win something?

Why do we need to argue at all? This is a forum for off road activity, and there isn't much greater off roading than that planned by MEXICOMA and described here.

If you don't like off roading, then the only purpose to read this forum is to get political and whine that someone is doing something you don't like. If you don't like it, then that's your business, don't dictate to others what is (in your mind) okay or not. The trail Bill Nichols took years to create and opened up an area of Baja nobody on a motorcycle could visit before. It is such adventure that draws American and Canadian motorcyclists to Baja, and that helps the people of Baja.

MEXICOMA was referred to me to provide some logistics for using a short section of El Camino Real in order to return to Gonzaga Bay, sine I hiked most of it, and have GPS and satellite images of it. I told him I learned it had been ridden by motorcycle in the past, but it was dangerous and to make sure they were aware of the danger, and that the La Turquesa road could be an alternative should they find the mission trail too tough.

The purpose of Baja Nomad (in this case) is to provide the information on this trail so MEXICOMA can be armed with the most data for his group.

It is a sure thing that motor bikes as well as people have used the route many times and never posted on Nomad, so this is nothing new. Being able to see and share the ride is. The amount of the ride that could be on the Camino Real is about one half % of the total ride and you would have to be someone like me to even know that the cow trail we see there today was the route of the padres in 1769-1800s.

Nomad hike on ECR

David K - 12-20-2014 at 12:16 PM

Here is a post from May, 2014 describing the mission trail from Gonzaga up to Santa Maria.

In the post, see a reply from willardguy with a photo of the Rokon motorcycle ridden on it.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=73495

AKgringo - 12-20-2014 at 12:31 PM

D.K. I suggest you change your avatar from a smiling sun to a lightning rod! Whatever you post, you get struck from the right, the left, motoheads and cactus huggers alike
I'll bet you even have an image of such a rod in your voluminous files.

El Sauz - 12-20-2014 at 02:45 PM

Apparently when it comes to mission history self-promotion is more important than preservation.

David K - 12-20-2014 at 03:49 PM

People seeing and photographing the Camino Real IS preserving it and expanding the knowledge of it.

Here are photos of some of the old trail taken by Nomad Emerson in Feb. 2014: https://docs.google.com/folderview?id=0B6hmzzBtiGV8bndLVWVEO...

El Sauz - 12-20-2014 at 04:12 PM

Want to be really clear. Nobody on this thread has suggested that people should not go and enjoy these sites. Your efforts to share information are commendable.
The issue is what one does once they get there.
Riding motorcycles over important historic features is not great.

[Edited on 12-21-2014 by El Sauz]

David K - 12-20-2014 at 04:45 PM

Using the old trail is respecting its purpose. Destroying it with a highway or other man made thing on top of it is something you may wish to target. Thank you for your interest in El Camino Real.

rts551 - 12-20-2014 at 05:08 PM

Using the old trail is respecting its purpose. Destroying it with a highway or other man made thing on top of it is something you may wish to target. Thank you for your interest in El Camino Real.

sorry to disillusion you..David. But motos and cars are man made things that you are promoting on top of this trail.

Hard to fathom for you isn;t it.... lok at it this way...man mad cars...not god.

rts551 - 12-20-2014 at 05:11 PM

Tread lightly folks.....through the desert that is.... DK, well he is his own worst enemy. go for it

AKgringo - 12-20-2014 at 05:26 PM

Man made the Camino Real also! God doesn't exactly help maintain it, that part is up to us!
I personally would not run anything over the historic trails, but does marking them to keep folks like me off, cause others to ride them for bragging rights?
That is not sarcasm, I really wonder about that.

rts551 - 12-20-2014 at 05:43 PM

There are some that think that things are to be used up...especially when they are marked to be saved.

Me. I put 2000 miles on my quad last year...and stayed on existing trails.

Also did about 5 off-road races...on established courses....I hate it when it is ruined by some that believe they do not need to protect it...just take pictures of it after they run amuck....

BajaRat - 12-20-2014 at 05:55 PM

Not a question of can we, but should we. It is not an off road vehicle trail.
Doesn't this fall under destruction of archeological or cultural sites of importance :?:

mtgoat666 - 12-20-2014 at 07:52 PM

Riders that respect the land stay on established roads and trails. Riders that venture off established trails are irresponsible and have no valid excuse for their actions. . The path that David k is promoting is not an established trail. It is an old and now little used foot path that has mostly returned to nature. David k and his offroad buddies are marooons. There is no defense of their stupid and utterly irresponsibile actions.

On top of the general disrespect for the land, the trail is thought by some to be a nice historic landmark,... Which makes their offroad travel on the trail even more disrespectful.

:fire::fire:

4x4abc - 12-20-2014 at 08:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRat  
Doesn't this fall under destruction of archeological or cultural sites of importance :?:

I think, this is a valid point. Should we?

If we decide we should/could - then how?

I have been in the off-road business for almost 30 years. Wherever we go, we leave destruction behind. Lack of skills, lack of care, lack of concern. And no, it's not the bad apples, not the 5%. It's the 95%.

TreadLightly? Sounds good. Feels good. But most people's interpretation of it makes me cry. The campaign has failed miserably.

All vehicles have the potential to leave no trace or to scar the ground. Motorcycles are the worst. It's part of how they maintain traction. The 4-wheeled vehicles are right behind.

Widowmaker used to be a bumpy uphill drive - then driven to schits by clueless drivers with spinning tires etc. Spinning tires erode lose dirt away from the rocks. It got pretty challenging. That's why it's now called widowmaker.

The Rubicon Trail (not in Baja but relevant) used to be a 1800's stage coach road, professionally built with a fine gravel top. A bumpy Sunday drive in the 1950's. Then driven to schits by thousands of thrill seekers. They eroded the ground to the point that boulders the size of houses got exposed. The road got really challenging. That attracted more thrill seekers. The historic roadway got completely destroyed in the process.

I looked up the single track in question. You don't need a GPS any longer. It is such a well travelled motorcycle highway now that it stands out on Google Earth.

Don't get me wrong - I am not promoting closure of everything beyond pavement. Discovering, search of solitude, search of beauty are such strong motivators. We have to keep those urges alive.
But the question is, how can we do that without leaving deep scars in the landscape we love so much.
Have been looking for an answer for 30 years - have not come up with one that works.

MMc - 12-20-2014 at 08:58 PM

Why, when somebody asks for beta for a trip, can't be emailed to them instead of posting it here? (This is a rhetorical question)
If a person is willing to use beta from a person they don't know, they might be heading for a ADVENTURE unprepared.
Asking somebody that doesn't ride, about a trail they haven't been on,or a storm has come through since they were on it, might not be the best plan.=ADVENTURE
If you can't do your own planing for a trip should you go? Yes, asking people for beta is part of the planing. I'd be looking for somebody that has done it or has current first hand info. Posting sat. photos really does not help with planing.=ADVENTURE

I love a real ADVENTURE, many do not.

There are some very good off road folks that are very good at what they do. Go to Johnson Valley or Glamis and see what the rest do.

Adventure = Placing oneself and consenting friends in possible harms way, not expecting any rescue.

MMc - 12-20-2014 at 09:17 PM

Having meet and helped people that were ill prepared and unskilled because of this board in some places they didn't belong, changes your view.
Just recently, helped a guy dig his Subaru out of a river bed, he was going to a place he had read about here. No shovel, no tire pump, high centered in a dry river bed. He had been there for 2 hours and we saw nobody in the 1.5 hours to get him out. He and his Girl would have had a long walk to get help. He didn't want me to snatch him out as he was afraid of what it would do to car.

If it isn't used it will vanish forever. If it isn't on Nomad does not make it not happen. Stop chasing newbies away because they enjoy life differently from you.

4x4abc - 12-20-2014 at 09:24 PM

Thank you MMc!

Thank you for: "Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C. Fields

I have been offering help to so many - only to make enemies. I know that people hate to be confused by facts, but W.C. Fields expresses it best.

Gracias!

[Edited on 12-21-2014 by 4x4abc]

Barry A. - 12-20-2014 at 11:02 PM

I cannot begin to count all the wonderful places that I have now visited over the years by being alerted to their existence by reading posts like these, and I am extremely grateful. The fact that some will not properly prepare themselves before going is always surprising, no mind-blowing, to me--------do they not take responsibility for themselves??

I do hope that most will continue to tell other's of the wonderful and exciting places they visit, or propose to visit---------THAT is what I am looking for-----always!!!

As a "Desert Ranger" for many years, I KNOW that most of the crowds using their "off road vehicles" in the desert try hard to not damage the resource-----it's the uncaring few that do most of the damage. Management of those areas is all a tradeoff, and the truth lies in-between somewhere, thus the establishment of "open areas" where you can drive most anywhere, to all kinds of restrictions that are tailored to the situation and area. It's all a judgment call. But just "keeping people out" is tragic, and never really works-------the good people cannot see the area, and the bad people will drive in anyway.

Barry

redhilltown - 12-21-2014 at 12:21 AM

"And I am in no mind to direct you to delectable places toward which you will hold yourself less tenderly than I."

Mary Austin, "Land of Little Rain" 1903

paranewbi - 12-21-2014 at 08:05 AM

Little Dutch Boy, The

by Peter Miller

"Dutch legend has it that there was once a small boy who upon passing a dyke on his way to school noticed a slight leak as the sea trickled in through a small hole. Knowing that he would be in trouble if he were to be late for school, the boy pocked his finger into the hole and so stemmed the flow of water. Some time later a passerby saw him and went to get help. This came in the form of other men who were able to effect repairs on the dyke and seal up the leak.
This story is told to children to teach them that if they act quickly and in time, even they with their limited strength and resources can avert disasters. The fact that the Little Dutch Boy used his finger to stop the flow of water, is used as an illustration of self-sacrifice. The physical lesson is also taught: a small trickle of water soon becomes a stream and the stream a torrent and the torrent a flood sweeping all before it, Dyke material, roadways and cars, and even railway tracks and bridges and whole trains.
This tale originates from the American writer Mary Mapes Dodge and is in fact not a real myth, although many people believe it is. She published this tale in 'Hans Brinker, or the Silver Skates' in 1865. The Little Dutch Boy is a very popular myth in the United States (and other countries), but is not well known in the Netherlands and has probably been imported there by American tourists."

Most important point here? "imported there by American tourists".
Hey, that's me, and you.
We're legendary!

KasloKid - 12-21-2014 at 11:19 AM

My tongue hurts from biting it for the length of this discussion.
I believe it's important to accept the fact that there are two sides to this debate, and neither side is going to win.
What is important though, is the fact that Mexico is a sovereign nation, and if there was/is a move afoot in that country by people who are citizens of that country, to push back and preserve areas of importance, they would do so.
Nothing peees me off more than a foreigner coming into my country (Canada) and dictating what and how we should be thinking. It is none of their dam business. Period. They do not have a license to preach and impose their ideology upon a sovereign nation.
Agree to disagree folks.

El Sauz - 12-21-2014 at 11:26 AM

Yes KasloKid, Mexico is a sovereign nation. It is clearly inappropriate to go down there and knowingly destroy cultural sites. If you guys do not understand this then stay home and stop giving us all a bad name.

bajaguy - 12-21-2014 at 11:29 AM

Exactly the way I feel about Canadians sticking their nose into how the US is run or how we do things in the states.

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  

...............Nothing peees me off more than a foreigner coming into my country (Canada) and dictating what and how we should be thinking. It is none of their dam business. Period..........
Agree to disagree folks.

El Sauz - 12-21-2014 at 11:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRat  

Yes

KasloKid - 12-21-2014 at 12:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Exactly the way I feel about Canadians sticking their nose into how the US is run or how we do things in the states.

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  

...............Nothing peees me off more than a foreigner coming into my country (Canada) and dictating what and how we should be thinking. It is none of their dam business. Period..........
Agree to disagree folks.

Hmm, that is funny. I thought it was the other way around. My Canadian friends and myself just bring money and spend lots of it.

TMW - 12-21-2014 at 12:47 PM

This is getting more fun to read everyday. Keep up the good work Nomads.

South beach - 12-21-2014 at 04:30 PM

Any useful input helpful, also planning ride early jan. Across this trail.

rts551 - 12-21-2014 at 07:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by South beach  

HAHAHAHAHAHAHa

on a burro? walking? or riding with David? He has lots of out dated maps.

South beach - 12-21-2014 at 08:06 PM

I have heard there is a jeep trail that goes to hwy1 or catavina from puertecitos.

Tioloco - 12-21-2014 at 08:10 PM

If you have a jeep set up right and study the maps, appears there are several possible routes.... Be prepared for multi day trip.

David K - 12-21-2014 at 09:35 PM

I have heard there is a jeep trail that goes to hwy1 or catavina from puertecitos.

Not yet, first cross over point is La Turquesa Canyon, a few miles north of Coco's Corner. A old mine grade climbs up the mountainside west of the turquoise mine and meets Hwy. 1 near the Pedregroso boulder hill.

The El Camino Real east of Mission Santa Maria is on the side of a canyon or along the ridge top... it has been ridden by a few motorcycles for years (but is not an easy ride). It is physically not wide or level enough for anything wider than a bike. Unlike other level section of the Camino Real to the south, built by the Jesuits, that have been bulldozed over for car use.

The El Camino Real here in SoCal, is not only dozed over, but typically a 4 lane paved street! Where's the outrage!!! :O:wow:

ehall - 12-29-2014 at 05:44 PM

Any updates David?

MulegeAL - 12-29-2014 at 05:53 PM

The El Camino Real here in SoCal, is not only dozed over, but typically a 4 lane paved street! Where's the outrage!!! :O:wow:

I'm kinda PO'd I didn't get one of those cool bells when everybody was ripping them off! :lol:

[Edited on 12-30-2014 by MulegeAL]

David K - 12-29-2014 at 06:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Any updates David?

Not yet... I did get an email from Mexicoma that one of his riders does not want to ride the trail (not sure if the Bill Nichols Trail or the Mission Trail), so an alternate route may be done.

I am on his SPOT email list and he said I can share their location with you all here...

David K - 12-29-2014 at 07:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MulegeAL  

I'm kinda PO'd I didn't get one of those cool bells when everybody was ripping them off! :lol:

They are all along the streets and highways designated as El Camino Real, today... They were made pretty secure. I hadn't heard about a lot being stolen. Max (my co-author) is the expert, I will ask him.

bajaguy - 12-29-2014 at 07:14 PM

Here you go: http://shop.californiabell.com/main.sc

http://www.montereyherald.com/general-news/20120416/man-revi...

[Edited on 12-30-2014 by bajaguy]

MMc - 12-29-2014 at 09:14 PM

I know that you do not look at me kindly but please do not not post his spot notes. You have upset more then one nomad with this and there is really no point to it unless you just need to be "That Guy", let this thread die. Sharing can only go so far. Let this trip be for the guys that do it. I am a butt head don't be one too....

Any updates David?

Not yet... I did get an email from Mexicoma that one of his riders does not want to ride the trail (not sure if the Bill Nichols Trail or the Mission Trail), so an alternate route may be done.

I am on his SPOT email list and he said I can share their location with you all here...

dtbushpilot - 12-29-2014 at 09:24 PM

I would like to follow them on spot too DK, if they don't mind you sharing with us please post it.

mtgoat666 - 12-29-2014 at 09:30 PM

Any updates David?

Live tracking of knuckle draggers desecrating the natural environment, what will they think of next?

David K - 12-30-2014 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Here you go: http://shop.californiabell.com/main.sc

http://www.montereyherald.com/general-news/20120416/man-revi...

[Edited on 12-30-2014 by bajaguy]

On the link for the video in your link:
Join popular PBS host Huell Howser as he learns first hand about the road and its famous bells from author and historian Max Kurillo, and John Kolstad, owner of California Bell Co.

Ride changed, no trails, no drama... well almost no drama!

David K - 12-31-2014 at 08:22 AM

The ride has been changed for now, got a Facebook message and photos (L.A. Bay, Pancho's San Rafael, Rancho Escondido) from MEXICOMA at Guerrero Negro: "Hey Dave. Had to change route do to my buddy. All good. Weather is awesome...my buddy had issues in mud".

TMW - 12-31-2014 at 12:48 PM

Awesome

DirkEXC - 12-31-2014 at 12:52 PM

I was hoping we would get a real adventure trip report out of this, well there is hopefully a next time.

It would be nice to get an update on San Fancisquito if they pass by there.

Thanks for keeping us up to date David !!!!

David K - 12-31-2014 at 02:51 PM

Mexicoma placed several photos on his Facebook page yesterday (one is the one I showed above)... he also had photos of Coco, Pancho (Bahia San Rafael), Rancho Escondido, etc.

South beach - 1-4-2015 at 03:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

HAHAHAHAHAHAHa

on a burro? walking? or riding with David? He has lots of out dated maps.

No burro, no walking, on any motor driven way I can figure it out. We leave Thursday.

South beach - 1-4-2015 at 04:02 PM

I will take any old map anyway. Many have old roads no longer shown.

dtbushpilot - 1-4-2015 at 04:08 PM

Good luck South beach, be sure to take lots of pictures and post a trip report.

David K - 1-4-2015 at 04:21 PM

What is the name and year of that map? I will post it if I have it.