BajaNomad

Hwy. 5 pavement south of Gonzaga Bay Reports (2007 to 2016 added)

Pages:  1    3

David K - 1-12-2015 at 11:38 AM

From Wayno 'BBBait':

On Jan. 8, 2015: Pemex at Rancho Grande is at KM 150, end of road is at KM 170.5... (170.5 - 150 = 20.5 kms.)

20.5 kms. = 12.7 miles from Gonzaga Pemex and about 60 miles from Puertecitos Jcn. where new highway construction began in late 2007. 7+ years, 60 miles = about 8 miles a year average.

Gonzaga Pemex to Hwy. 1 is about 35 miles, leaving 22 miles unpaved.

End of usable Hwy. 5 pavement on Jan. 8, 2015:

[Edited on 4-3-2016 by David K]

Russ - 1-12-2015 at 11:49 AM

So, my question is....
Are they working on the remaining 22 miles? Or are they at a Mexican stand off with the continuation of this rough section?

StuckSucks - 1-12-2015 at 11:50 AM

Here's the same location taken last November. Interesting, because all grading seemed to end there - the end was the end (for now).

David K - 1-12-2015 at 11:58 AM

At their average of 6-8 miles a year to build this highway, you need to give them 3-4 more years.

The next issue that needs addressing is the old style, slow, narrow, dip filled San Felipe to Puertecitos section of Hwy. 5.

StuckSucks - 1-12-2015 at 01:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The next issue that needs addressing is the old style, slow, narrow, dip filled San Felipe to Puertecitos section of Hwy. 5.

Years ago I dealt with those killer vados by adding skull and crossbones to the GPS:

David K - 1-12-2015 at 03:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  

Years ago I dealt with those killer vados by adding skull and crossbones to the GPS...

Memories...

2009 oh sh dip - xmas 175-r.JPG - 42kB

villafontana - 1-14-2015 at 09:05 PM

so i went to Gonzaga Bay in 2013 and the bridge was still unusable...the road ended there. So they added another 16 miles in that time?? we got back to SF at the end of the paved road.

[Edited on 1-15-2015 by villafontana]

thebajarunner - 1-14-2015 at 11:09 PM

We drove it in March 2014 and the pavement ended exactly at Papa's

Thus, the 12.7 miles has been accomplished in just about 9 months.
That is much faster than the calculations above.
But, if there is no more grading then it does not bode well for getting across the next "nasty' stuff.

And, they had some devastating weather to deal with during that 12.7 miles.

I think they did quite well,
but alas, seem to have reverted to form.

Hwy. 5 south from Puertecitos paving history

David K - 1-15-2015 at 01:49 PM

The following was posted on another thread in the Q & A forum, but is more useful in this road conditions forum, since we are talking history of the progress.

In Nov. 2006, the new pavement had not yet reached Puertecitos, the highway from the late 1980's was all broken and mostly gone (too thin).

Beginning about 2002, they started repaving the road south from San Felipe and by 2005 they were halfway done. In Feb. 2007 it had reached Puertecitos, but nothing new south of town.

My next trip south of Puertecitos was in Sept. 2008, and the Y junction (Km. 74) was in place and the new pavement routed above town, extended for 2 miles from the junction. Exactly when this was opened, I don't know, but perhaps it was all built in 2008, so I can guess at a Jan. 2008 as a start date for now. It is Jan. 2014 and in 6 full years, 60 miles of paved highway has been built and opened. 10 miles a year average progress to date... up from the earlier rate of 6-7 miles a year.

================================================================

Here is the distance of paved road open from Puertecitos junction south:

In Feb. 2007: 0 miles
=======================================================

On Sept. 1, 2008: 2 miles...

========================================================

On Jan. 1, 2009: 4 miles.
[4 months added 2 miles.]

On July 19, 2010: 18.5 miles...
[1 year, 7 months added 16.5 miles.]

==========================================================

On July 15, 2012: 32.3 miles (Km. 126+), 15 miles north of Gonzaga Pemex...
[2 years added 13.8 miles.]

========================================================
Pemex San Luis Gonzaga at Km. 150, 47.1 miles from Puertecitos Jcn. (Km. 74).
=============================================================

From TW, Mar., 2014: 2 miles south of Pemex. (49 mi. from Puertecitos). Photo from Mando, looking north to Pemex from end of pavement:
[1 year and 8 months added 17 miles.]

From StuckSucks, Nov. 2014: Km. 154 (2.4 miles south of Pemex, ~51 from Puertecitos):
[8 months added 2 miles.]

Jan. 8, 2015 report: Pavement ends at Km. 170.5, 12.7 miles south of Pemex (Km. 150), 60 miles from Puertecitos junction (Km. 74).

[Edited on 1-15-2015 by David K]

villafontana - 1-15-2015 at 05:54 PM

So David, is the big bridge usable or not?

David K - 1-15-2015 at 10:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by villafontana  
So David, is the big bridge usable or not?

StuckSucks posted this photo in his November 2014 report, is this the bridge you are asking about (over Arroyo Santa Maria, about 5 miles south of the Gonzaga Pemex)?

If yes, then yes... it is open along with the highway south another 7 miles past it....

Justbozo - 1-16-2015 at 04:32 AM

We traveled this road southbound on January 11, 2015.
The view as you first see it from the north is quite impressive.
The long, straight run downhill to the Gonzaga Pemex in the distance and then to have the road start the gradual rise into the distance and shimmer it's way into the distant hills.

The "end is the end" yes. Nothing more going on except some curb and fence work.

The flags and stakes that we saw through the hills don't appear to be fresh.

But, Rumor has it...

David K - 1-16-2015 at 09:11 AM

Thank you Justbozo... I invite anyone with updated Hwy. 5 news or photos to please add them here. Please respect the Nomad photo size limit of 800 pixels, as well.

Photobucket users, before you upload photos from your PC to Photobucket, click on that small gear and pick 640 or 800 as your upload size, click save and that's IT! Detailed illustrations here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=65085

If you could zero your trip odometer at the Pemex station/ Alfonsina's road and record the mileage to the end of pavement, that would be a great reference point. Also, as they have changed them in the past, note the Kilometer marker at the Pemex or close to it... and the last kilometer marker on the pavement south.

Thank you!

TMW - 1-23-2015 at 10:33 AM

Here is the end of pavement on Google Earth.

29-36.7840x114-23.900

End of Pavement to Coco's

John M - 1-23-2015 at 03:33 PM

About ten miles of old road remain, of course the hilly and rocky sections are still there.

The news (good news for those seeking more pavement) is that we saw a fellow doing some surveying just beyond the end of paved section. In spite of the fact we saw only a lone guy working, the next section improvement may be under way.

John M

Justbozo - 1-23-2015 at 04:05 PM

KM 170 was the last marker and the road went on approx 1/2 KM farther. Pemex to end of pavement was approx 12 1/2 Miles?

redhilltown - 1-30-2015 at 12:32 AM

From Wayno 'BBBait':

On Jan. 8, 2015: Pemex at Rancho Grande is at KM 150, end of road is at KM 170.5... (170.5 - 150 = 20.5 kms.)

20.5 kms. = 12.7 miles from Gonzaga Pemex and about 60 miles from Puertecitos Jcn. where new highway construction began in late 2007. 7+ years, 60 miles = about 8 miles a year average.

Gonzaga Pemex to Hwy. 1 is about 35 miles, leaving 22 miles unpaved.

Hmmmmm...This pic shows a working electronic sign, new bright red cones, and an obvious detour... are you SURE this is Mexico? :D:D:D:D

[Edited on 1-30-2015 by redhilltown]

Cliffy - 1-30-2015 at 06:37 AM

As a comparison here in N Arizona when Hiway 89 collapsed they paved a bypass route of about 25 miles of sandy somewhat graded road in 5 months. That includes bar ditches and fencing. With what the Mexicans have to work with and where they have to do it I think they do pretty well out in the middle of God knows no where.
I wouldn't want to be responsible for 1200 miles of roadbed down that peninsula.

StuckSucks - 1-30-2015 at 03:01 PM

I suppose this is irrelevant now, but here's a shot of the underside of the Santa Maria bridge back in November.

BajaGringo - 1-31-2015 at 07:34 PM

I have spoken to a few different people who recently took that route. All complained about the really poor condition of the unfinished road section right now as it appears that the recent rains, traffic and lack of attention have taken a toll. If you decide to go that route, be sure to have good tires, a good spare, air down and DRIVE SLOWLY.

If you are in an RV or towing a boat/trailer, DRIVE SLOWLY X3.

YMMV...

bajabuddha - 1-31-2015 at 10:14 PM

Good point to consider; everyone thinks shorter distance = easier, less damaging road. WRONG. Washboards and potholes are created by a simple matter of more cars = more damage to soft-surface dirt. If you're towing anything you love, make sure it's beefed, your tire pressure is low, you go slowly, and be prepared for all the traffic that now thinks the 'shortcut' is OPEN FOR BUSINESS.

If my memory serves (what? ME worry?) I do believe downhill traffic on grades has the right-of-way in 'Dirt Etiquette 101'.... or am I mistook yet again? I don't think i'd take my 28' 5th wheel that-a-way until a little more grading on the hill; maybe next fall. And, I even had my axles beefed up. Found out an 8600 GVW 5th wheel was manufactured with two 3500 GVW axles. Go figger. MADE IN AMERICA. I paid dearly for my last run on that stretch a year and a half ago. BTW, I took SIX AND A HALF HOURS to go 35 miles. That's 5 mph average. 4x4 low-lock up the grades. I was VERY careful. It will be a godsend for me when completed, will save a full drive-day from where I come from. Until then, SOS, DD.

[Edited on 2-1-2015 by bajabuddha]

TMW - 2-1-2015 at 12:15 PM

["bajabuddha: BTW, I took SIX AND A HALF HOURS to go 35 miles. That's 5 mph average. 4x4 low-lock up the grades."]

Were you just in your truck. I'm sorry I don't know of anywhere on that road that would require 4x4 Low. I've been on that road several times in the last six months including twice two weeks ago and it seems to me to be about the same it always was. Some places 10mph and some places 35mph.

chuckie - 2-2-2015 at 03:19 PM

I bleve the Buddha was pulling a 5th wheel...a braver man than I.....

redhilltown - 2-3-2015 at 12:43 AM

I agree with TMW...I have been driving that road for over 20 years in a stock Tacoma and it just isn't that bad...sure, slow at times but not even an eyebrow raiser as to anything technically difficult...if you want to pull a lot behind well, that's not the road's fault!

bajabuddha - 2-3-2015 at 06:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
["bajabuddha: BTW, I took SIX AND A HALF HOURS to go 35 miles. That's 5 mph average. 4x4 low-lock up the grades."]

Were you just in your truck. I'm sorry I don't know of anywhere on that road that would require 4x4 Low. I've been on that road several times in the last six months including twice two weeks ago and it seems to me to be about the same it always was. Some places 10mph and some places 35mph.

Yes, I was towing my 5th wheel, and on the advice from a 20-year resident of Gonzaga community... I was going to do an extra day and go back through Ensenada, but no, I was told ''it isn't that bad, just GO SLOW'', so slow I went. REAL SLOW. The 4x4 low-lock wasn't for 'four-wheeling', but so I could walk up the last grades REAL SLOW. Tires, down, the works. I couldn't have driven any careful-er (sorry, grammar critics). My point is, the last stretch is still in bad shape, will remain so for a while, and possibly get even worse with the now-increased traffic. Ya spends yer money, ya takes yer chances. It's your own call on what you do to your own stuff.

And those who call 'blame and fault', take a chill pill. You don't learn much by doing everything right, eh? ;)

David K - 2-3-2015 at 09:02 AM

Thank you bajabuddha, you made, so it worked!

chuckie - 2-3-2015 at 09:39 AM

I'll be going over that piece of road Saturday.......

AKgringo - 2-3-2015 at 09:50 AM

I agree with Buddah, using low range puts the gears closer together so you aren't over revving or lugging the engine, and things run cooler with less stress on the drive train.
I am off road, or in sand, snow or mud on a regular basis year round. I will go into four wheel drive before I need to just to keep from tearing up the roads or trails I am on. Spinning wheels and barely making it through a spot may be fun, but I try to drive with a light footprint.
My vehicle and trailer are light, so I did not need low range for the stretch through Coco' Corner, but If I was pulling a fifth wheel, I would have done exactly the same a B.B!

Edit....Come to think of it, I did go into low range 2wd heading up that narrow grade for a while. At the speeds that stretch allows, why not?
Besides that, the whine of the transfer case makes my little SUV sound like a real truck!

[Edited on 2-3-2015 by AKgringo]

TMW - 2-3-2015 at 10:10 AM

Thanks for explaining, I now understand your reason.

dtbushpilot - 2-3-2015 at 10:13 AM

Actually the up-hill traffic has the right of way. It is easier and safer to back up hill rather than down.

bajabuddha - 2-3-2015 at 04:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
Actually the up-hill traffic has the right of way. It is easier and safer to back up hill rather than down.

I do believe you're correct-a-mundo. Been too damned long since I did the serious O/R driving... forgot how to hang sheet-rock too....

Oh, and DK, I made it, but my 5th wheel needed some welding at the Bahia LA Jct. yard for a broken spring shackle.

[Edited on 2-3-2015 by bajabuddha]

krazytoy - 2-3-2015 at 04:59 PM

I think it also has to do with what you are driving and how comfortable you are on dirt roads. We made if from pavement to pavement in an hour and 15 minutes, to me it's not "that bad"... I didn't feel like I was pushing the Cruiser or my driving abilities either, I could have done it faster, but whats the point, leave the racing to the pros and continue on Baja time. If it takes an hour or 10 it's still a very pretty drive.

StuckSucks - 2-3-2015 at 05:05 PM

The canyon between Coco's and Laguna Chapala. There was a full load of rebar on the flatbed.

You are right on the law- don't agree on the rest

thebajarunner - 2-3-2015 at 05:20 PM

Yes, the basic highway law says uphill has right of way.
A law which I always found frustrating.
I have never found it easier to back up hill than back downhill.
Just saying....
And I have done a lot of driving in reverse,
hate backing uphill direction.
Plus, if it is real steep, you have two wheel drive, and a stick shift.... lots of luck going backward up the hill. (did a lot of that in the old days, auto tranny has made all of off road a lot easier)

David K - 2-3-2015 at 05:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by krazytoy  
I think it also has to do with what you are driving and how comfortable you are on dirt roads. We made if from pavement to pavement in an hour and 15 minutes, to me it's not "that bad"... I didn't feel like I was pushing the Cruiser or my driving abilities either, I could have done it faster, but whats the point, leave the racing to the pros and continue on Baja time. If it takes an hour or 10 it's still a very pretty drive.

That would be a "Toyota Thing" :light:;):cool:

StuckSucks - 2-3-2015 at 05:35 PM

uno mas canyon shot:

David K - 2-3-2015 at 05:50 PM

On the Hwy. 1 to the dirt Hwy. 5, going north (in July 2012):

basautter - 2-3-2015 at 06:07 PM

Thanks for the update! That part of the coast is destined for a lot of change in the near future.

AKgringo - 2-3-2015 at 07:16 PM

I am in no hurry to see the final section completed. I would rather deal with the known downside of twenty plus miles of bad road, than the unknown effect of all the highway one traffic that will move to highway five when it is finished!
I didn't start driving the east side until 2010, so for me these are the good old days, and I don't want it to change!

bajabuddha - 2-3-2015 at 07:23 PM

RULES OF THE ROAD REDUX:

Yup, the basic rule is the 'uphill ROW'.... however, all has to do with stopping, a-s-s-e-ssing terrain, vehicles, and who will have the most difficulties in doing what. Been there, done that. Drove dirt before I drove pavement, and the FIRST rule is courtesy and communication... que no? Many years back, was in a (dumb-azz) situation (mine, as usual) couldn't go up or down, jack-knifed on a switchback w/trailer, and a Mexicano peek-up with goats in the back coming DOWNHILL had to chain up to my front bumper and pull ME uphill a quarter-mile to save my sorry azz. I offered recompense from pesos to cervezas to sodas, he wouldn't take anything but a smile and a handshake. I introduced myself as 'Senior (squiggle over the 'n') Estupido' and we had a good laugh.

The last stretch on the former 'Road From Hell' will still be a challenge for the next few years, that's a given. Young bucks with their young trucks (they forget who taught them) will do that road in an hour. They yet haven't learned that their excessive speed is also what CAUSES WASHBOARDING, so drive on, Mo-fo's.... I used-ta too.

[Edited on 2-4-2015 by bajabuddha]

redhilltown - 2-4-2015 at 01:08 AM

I don't think it's a given that excessive speed causes washboard (I've always gone with aired down and slow myself) but it has been proven that vehicle travel over these roads is the culprit. I am on the side that it will be sad to have the big rigs air braking as they scream along this section...they coyotes need their sleep too!!!! Yet I totally understand those that will have a great new way to get south without having to lose an axle or have their teeth rattled out of their mouths.

Tomas Tierra - 2-10-2015 at 04:56 PM

For the First time, I will be taking Hwy 5 North on my way out in April.
Really looking forward to it:bounce:

What is/are the must see spot/spots for camp/kayak fish in the Gonzaga area?. Capable 4by with camper and family.
Boondock preferable.. Looking at the almanac, and all the beaches, it seems It might be hard to find just the right spot..

TT

woody with a view - 2-10-2015 at 04:58 PM

papa's or pta final.

willardguy - 2-10-2015 at 05:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tomas Tierra  
For the First time, I will be taking Hwy 5 North on my way out in April.
Really looking forward to it:bounce:

What is/are the must see spot/spots for camp/kayak fish in the Gonzaga area?. Capable 4by with camper and family.
Boondock preferable.. Looking at the almanac, and all the beaches, it seems It might be hard to find just the right spot..

TT

hey tom a good spot is papa's campground all the way north to the point, good chance you'll have it all to yourself. or there's a couple remote spots south of bufeo if you really want to be alone.

David K - 2-10-2015 at 06:22 PM

Hi Thomas, if it is your first time to Gonzaga Bay, you may need some visual aid to see where the campos are... The Papa Fernandez spot mentioned above is on the outside of the bay, on the gulf side of Punta Willard. Another option is the palapa campground of Campo Beluga. Food is served at Alfonsina's, the market across from the Pemex (Rancho Grande store), and Papa Fernandez' (see photo of Papa with John Wayne, who loved it there).

Overall bay complex:

View from the gulf looking southwest:

Papa's camping spot, Punta Willard:

There may be a rope blocking the road from Papa's over to the point beach (for security).

Plus a classic map from 1962 with the historically correct bay names:

Supplies for the California missions were off loaded on the shore of San Luis Gonzaga where a stone walled warehouse was located (foundation ruinss remain)

Tomas Tierra - 2-11-2015 at 10:01 AM

Thank you all... Was on google earth and saw those three palapas at the north end of Papas... Looks nice.. The whole area looks nice, change is coming, want to see it now...

TT

David K - 2-11-2015 at 10:06 AM

As you drive north, you can pop into Beluga first to check it out, and then always come back if the other site isn't what you want.

More pics at Campo Beluga: http://vivabaja.com/207/page3.html

[Edited on 2-11-2015 by David K]

Cliffy - 2-11-2015 at 04:02 PM

When I was there in the 70s eating dinner with Papa and family he was talking about the news that they were going to pave the road in from the north! :-) :-)

David K - 2-11-2015 at 04:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
When I was there in the 70s eating dinner with Papa and family he was talking about the news that they were going to pave the road in from the north! :-) :-)

They did... 40 years later... lol!

Gonzaga to La Chapalla

brewin - 3-25-2015 at 09:24 AM

Thinking of going the same way mid-April (southbound though). Done it more than a few times with just the loaded down F350, this time though I will have a camper on the back and towing my Jeep (although it's likely my wife will just follow in the Jeep to save on wear and tear on the truck). Low and slow of course ...

The area south of where the work is being done has always been problematic ... anyone travel recently think the above is a good idea or should we stick with the tried and proven (and busy) highway 1 ?

Desertbull - 3-25-2015 at 09:29 AM

Brewin- I just drove the road and their is no construction to worry about as of today. If you are heading south the construction ends and their are no signs of any additional construction in progress.

It's 23 miles of the last stretch of dirt road before it joins Hwy 1 and slow and go is easy-peezy. Hopefully, it takes another 10 years before they get the rest of the road done.

4x4abc - 3-25-2015 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  
I don't think it's a given that excessive speed causes washboard (I've always gone with aired down and slow myself) but it has been proven that vehicle travel over these roads is the culprit. I am on the side that it will be sad to have the big rigs air braking as they scream along this section...they coyotes need their sleep too!!!! Yet I totally understand those that will have a great new way to get south without having to lose an axle or have their teeth rattled out of their mouths.

all automotive engineers know that powered wheels slip (even on pavement). The slipping causes dirt to be scooped. The more power is used (not necessarily speed) the more washboard you will have.
High power vehicles during the off-road races cause giant washboard. The infamous whoop-de-doos.
To prove the point: dirt airstrips do not have washboard - airplane wheels are not powered.
If power/speed is kept below 25 mph washboard is rarely seen. Some of the remote ranch communities in Baja have been taught to keep the speed down to have smooth roads. Smooth roads eliminate expensive suspension repairs.
The closer you get to main highways, the more impatient people get and the more washboard you'll see.
Much more to this topic - maybe a separate thread

David K - 3-25-2015 at 10:27 AM

Great answer Harald!

I recall in one of the old 4WD books that bad suspension (bad shocks) were to blame for creating washboard roads... The hopping of the tires... Good shocks keep tires in contact with the ground and less hopping.

4x4abc - 3-25-2015 at 11:02 AM

Great answer Harald!

I recall in one of the old 4WD books that bad suspension (bad shocks) were to blame for creating washboard roads... The hopping of the tires... Good shocks keep tires in contact with the ground and less hopping.

lower tire pressure (blow 20 psi) will have stronger smoothing effect than shocks

Zola - 4-3-2015 at 08:31 AM

We just came through in a FJ Cruiser. It is an enjoyable drive for a serious off-road vehicle, but there are sections of the dirt road that are hard washboard road, and there are also rock boulders strewn around. If you take a trailer through, it should be one specifically designed for offroad use, like a Chaser or one of those things.

David K - 4-3-2015 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Great answer Harald!

lower tire pressure (blow 20 psi) will have stronger smoothing effect than shocks

Oh I agree, but not everyone has an air pump so they may not stop to deflate. Bad shocks allow the tires to bounce and that bouncing is what is the cause of washboard... so the book says.

wornout - 4-23-2015 at 10:07 AM

I just drove the unpaved section of Hwy 5 south of Gonzaga to the intersection of Hwy 5 and Hwy 1 both directions. I drove a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and did not deflate my tires as they are filled with Nitrogen (a CostCo thing). I went down 04/15/15 and came back 04/21/15. The section I am talking about is 23 miles.

From the end of the pavement to Coco's is 9.3 miles of pretty good dirt road. There are sections that are washboard and others that are not. From Coco's to Hwy 1 is 14 miles. A mile or so out of Coco's is pretty good and they it gets a little rocky through the first set of mountains. Most of this was doable at 10 miles a hour. There are some sections one must slow down on, mostly the peaks of the road, and other sections are pretty good. Once out of the mountains towards Hwy 1 it is pretty good sailing. I made the whole trip in 1 hour and 5 minutes. No flats, nothing broke and I still have all my teeth. I met about 4 empty big rigs on this road when I was headed down and two when I was headed back, all were easy to get by when I just stopped and let let roll past.

IMG_1088.jpg - 15kB

[Edited on 4-23-2015 by wornout]

IMG_1089.jpg - 15kB

David K - 4-23-2015 at 12:11 PM

Thank you. Any sign of construction going?

Tomas Tierra - 4-23-2015 at 12:25 PM

I came through going north on the 13th.. They were building some sort of structure near the end of pavement in gonzaga... Military maybe? Dunno..on the N. side of a bigger arroyo, SOC side of hwy

TT

chuckie - 4-23-2015 at 01:03 PM

I understood Mexican Washboard came as seed which was spread by the most recent road grader.....It would lie dormant until just before the Gringo migration started and then explode into full growth. Most fertile spots were those about a kilometer from a tire repair place.....

CCgirl - 5-12-2015 at 08:24 PM

in order to avoid any possible problems near San Quintin, we were thinking of taking Highway 5, we are coming from Santa Rosalia - info on the condition of the road would be greatly appreciated since we have never driven this highway - also would be it better to take the ferry across instead of highway 5? thanks in advance for your info and opinions - I drive a subaru forester and the other vehicle is also a 4wd

You do not need 4x4

John M - 5-12-2015 at 08:35 PM

Washboard, some parts have rocks on the road, so simply slow down the first 23 miles and enjoy the pretty drive and a nice change of scenery.

13 miles of dirt to Coco's Corner (stop & introduce yourself) -

10 miles of dirt road to pavement after Coco's

Hour and a half should to the dirt portion.

Once on pavement it's about 90 easy miles to San Felipe. As you leave Puertecitos (spell checker gonna get me I think) and you see a sign for a dip "Vado" you better slow down.

John M

[Edited on 5-13-2015 by John M]

mtnpop - 5-12-2015 at 08:42 PM

did it today coming north,,, seemed some better than it did in Feb when we went south... only saw 5 vehicles in that 23 miles.
duramax with a lance overhead camper,,, 1 hr 45 min.
one stop to check cargo and tie downs.. no flats either...

not anyone at coco's.....

no sign of any upcoming new highway construction also...

happy trails...

David K - 5-12-2015 at 09:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
Washboard, some parts have rocks on the road, so simply slow down the first 23 miles and enjoy the pretty drive and a nice change of scenery.

13 miles of dirt to Coco's Corner (stop & introduce yourself) -

10 miles of dirt road to pavement after Coco's

Hour and a half should to the dirt portion.

Once on pavement it's about 90 easy miles to San Felipe. As you leave Puertecitos (spell checker gonna get me I think) and you see a sign for a dip "Vado" you better slow down.

John M

[Edited on 5-13-2015 by John M]

PUERTECITOS is spelled perfectly! Now, if we could get everyone on board for ALFONSINA'S (not Alphonsina's), all would be right in then world! LOL

mooose29 - 5-12-2015 at 10:23 PM

Just drove that way twice last week and my wife and I think we will always go this way from now on. We really liked it. Dirt rd took us about 1:05 in a suburban.

chuckie - 5-13-2015 at 02:38 AM

San Quintin area is a good place to avoid even without the labor problems, the "bad" part of the Hiway 5 thing is only 23 miles, and its not even bad as compared with BAD Baja roads....

[Edited on 5-13-2015 by chuckie]

Cliffy - 5-13-2015 at 06:13 AM

Can everyone say "Mucho traffic" when they get it completely paved? Of course old man Papa said they were going to pave the road from San Felipe real soon now, back in the early 70s :-)

StuckSucks - 11-23-2015 at 09:43 PM

Highway 5 construction 11/19

End of pavement - status quo:

Here, the new road (right) crosses the current road alignment (left):

Current road is on the distant right, new road alignment is being cut in the hill on the left:

Many culverts are being built:

freediverbrian - 11-23-2015 at 10:08 PM

David don't understand your problem , on my way Lorado , I drove thru many towns Puerto Cietos , Guerro negro, stop at Santa Roaslita thru Mileage and farther south La parisma all fin towns

redhilltown - 11-24-2015 at 12:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
David don't understand your problem , on my way Lorado , I drove thru many towns Puerto Cietos , Guerro negro, stop at Santa Roaslita thru Mileage and farther south La parisma all fin towns

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

bajabuddha - 11-24-2015 at 01:50 AM

Thru 'Mileage'???............... it's MYEW-le-hey !!! :smug:

David K - 11-24-2015 at 08:28 AM

Thanks for the photos StuckSucks!
Thanks for the laugh freediverbrian!

joel - 11-24-2015 at 09:51 AM

Anyone have a report of the road condition now that the Baja 1000 has rolled through?

StuckSucks - 11-24-2015 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by joel  
Anyone have a report of the road condition now that the Baja 1000 has rolled through?

We drove south on Thursday, north on Saturday (post race) and there was virtually no change. No need to be afraid of a dirt road.

chuckie - 11-24-2015 at 10:31 AM

AMAZING!! Its TWENTY THREE miles, for poops sake...Not the Dakar...

rts551 - 11-24-2015 at 10:45 AM

Did not see anyone scared. Legitimate question after the trucks raced on the road. They DO have a habit of chewing things up a little.

willardguy - 11-24-2015 at 11:57 AM

I see no reason why those 850hp TT's couldn't drag lengths of chain link fencing behind em! leave it better than they found it!

rts551 - 11-24-2015 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
I see no reason why those 850hp TT's couldn't drag lengths of chain link fencing behind em! leave it better than they found it!

What? and ruin a perfectly torn up road? Nahhh this way we can make fun of people who ask simple questions.

dtbushpilot - 11-24-2015 at 03:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

What? and ruin a perfectly torn up road? Nahhh this way we can make fun of people who ask simple questions.

We make fun of people no matter what kind of questions they ask :lol::lol:

StuckSucks - 11-24-2015 at 04:41 PM

We make fun of people no matter what kind of questions they ask :lol::lol:

Well said.

Cliffy - 11-24-2015 at 07:08 PM

Just waiting till someone says I can make it pulling my 20' travel trailer Albeit sloooowly on the dirt part. Can't we bribe a CAT driver to push a blade for 23 miles just to smooth it out once in a while?

chuckie - 11-24-2015 at 08:01 PM

I have been over that real estate a number of times in the past couple of years. I would worry more, pulling a 20' trailer, about meeting one of the big trucks on a curve or narrow section. As to running a blade over it, I think it would make it worse by pulling out the half buried rocks...It is going to need road base, rather than just trying to scrape it...Its NOT a killer road....as Baja roads go...

rts551 - 11-24-2015 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I have been over that real estate a number of times in the past couple of years. I would worry more, pulling a 20' trailer, about meeting one of the big trucks on a curve or narrow section. As to running a blade over it, I think it would make it worse by pulling out the half buried rocks...It is going to need road base, rather than just trying to scrape it...Its NOT a killer road....as Baja roads go...

The construction crews had been putting dirt on the worst parts and grading it.

chuckie - 11-24-2015 at 08:08 PM

There ya go!

Gulliver - 11-25-2015 at 12:33 AM

When I drove it Northbound May 1st. last year, it was not that bad but the contents of my cargo trailer got fairly scrambled. I drove very slowly so the rough part between Rt. 1 and Coco's took me the better part of an hour.

I hope they don't take a blade to it any time after April fools day as I might be doing it again about the first of May and want all of the sharp rocks to have time to get beaten down by the big rigs.

Is it just me or are things kinda falling apart for Coco? The place was a mess and he really could have used a bath. I don't remember things being this bad ever.

I have never been a fan of places festooned with women's old underwear but I'm not his customer base anyway. More concerned about his physical health.

chuckie - 11-25-2015 at 06:05 AM

Last two times I was past there, there was no one there, so didn't see him...

mtnpop - 11-25-2015 at 08:52 AM

Came across there the last week of Oct. this year... most of the sharp pointy rocks were pushed away.. worst part of the 23 miles was the last 3 or so to hwy 1... still big ruts and holes then... They have cleaned up most of the road probably to get supplies and equipment in to the work camps of which I think there were 3.....
Girders were being set for bridges and thousands of yards of concrete had been poured for drainage... The last gig hill and curve coming south there was a long stretch of new built up road that you could not drive on yet...
The nasty rock areas were mostly history....

rts551 - 11-25-2015 at 08:56 AM

they are also working on the roadbed (east to west) on that last three or so miles..

chuckie - 11-25-2015 at 08:57 AM

Kinda sad in a way......

David K - 11-25-2015 at 11:30 AM

I can recall hearing people at Alfonsina's say the road will be paved to Gonzaga... when Hell freezes over! That was in 1974 when they just finished surveying the route for a highway.

That highway was built in 1986, but never paved. The current highway is using a slightly different alignment... and made for high speed. Hell is a cold cold place, I guess?

Cliffy - 11-25-2015 at 12:43 PM

Like I said Papa Fernandez told me that it would be paved soon back in the early 70s :-)

motoged - 11-25-2015 at 01:53 PM

I can recall hearing people at Alfonsina's say the road will be paved to Gonzaga... when Hell freezes over! That was in 1974 ........ The current highway is using a slightly different alignment... and made for high speed. Hell is a cold cold place, I guess?

David,
Just more evidence of climate change :lol:

David K - 11-25-2015 at 03:31 PM

Yes, cooling not warming!

motoged - 11-25-2015 at 03:46 PM

David,
Glad to see you are acknowledging climate change..... :coolup:

Some places cooling, some warming.....

Cliffy - 11-25-2015 at 04:03 PM

Brrrr! I'm cold!

Bajahowodd - 11-25-2015 at 04:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
David,

That's not what he said, nor is it what he believes!

bajabuddha - 11-25-2015 at 05:02 PM

NOOOO !!! Really, wodd???

You must've had a humorotomy; some sick sneaky snide surgeon snuck into your suite, drugged you, and removed your funny bone... and you still haven't totally awakened from the anesthesia. I think sarcasm is wasted on thE HCCA (Hotel/Country Club Critic's aAssociation).
:bounce:

[Edited on 11-26-2015 by bajabuddha]

norte - 11-25-2015 at 05:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

You must've had a humorotomy; some sick sneaky snide surgeon snuck into your suite, drugged you, and removed your funny bone... and you still haven't totally awakened from the anesthesia. I think sarcasm is wasted on thE HCCA (Hotel/Country Club Critic's aAssociation).
:bounce:

You ceased being funny a long time ago.

[Edited on 11-26-2015 by norte]

willardguy - 11-25-2015 at 05:15 PM

when are we gonna get that "blocking" feature here?

motoged - 11-25-2015 at 05:34 PM

Motoged said: "David, Just more evidence of climate change :lol:

David said:
Yes, cooling not warming!

Motoged said:
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
David,

Baja buddha said:
Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

You must've had a humorotomy.....

Motoged sez......

"Geez .....can't have a little fun without somebody filling their Depends.....:biggrin:

Pages:  1    3