BajaNomad

How muddy are the roads

strgnff - 1-3-2005 at 04:38 PM

I'm gearing up for a drive to the coast mid-January. I've been looking at the weather sites, but its not clear to me how wet it is below El Rosario. Anyone have information about how far south the rain is falling? More to the point, how muddy are the dirt roads below El Rosario? Thx

woody with a view - 1-3-2005 at 05:34 PM

check this link for a reasonable idea where the rain is falling:

http://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconusir.html

as for how muddy the roads get? how muddy does ANY road get after a rainstorm? in otherwords, if its rained recently it will be slick.

Mexitron - 1-3-2005 at 09:33 PM

Just got off the phone with pappy who was in the seven sisters--he said its wet! Be careful on the less travelled roads, could be mudbaths.

Road Conditions

Pablo - 1-5-2005 at 01:35 PM

Left Mulege Monday, Jan 3, drove to San Quentin, rained most of the way except for brief areas north of G. Negro. Roads had mucho water on surface and washes running strong over them. Very bad over mtns. to San Quentin. All town streets were heavly flooded. Same from San Quentin to Tacate. Watch for rock slides.........

KurtG - 1-6-2005 at 12:32 PM

I motorcycled Monday from Mulege to San Quentin, rain most of the way from San Ignacio to SQ. A minor adventure but the road conditions were ok except for many of the vados which had lots of water flowing. Tuesday's ride through Ensenada and TJ included lots of flooded streets and the road along the border in TJ was closed and traffic was rerouted through the city. Nasty traffic! Managed to ride back up here to the central coast yesterday and only got rained on briefly.

bajaandy - 1-6-2005 at 01:54 PM

For what it's worth, I like this page:
www.nws.noaa.gov/
Lots of good info and forcasts.