BajaNomad

Exploring Summit #3

Pages:  1  

TMW - 6-20-2015 at 09:58 AM

Roy (the Squarecicle) and I want to move on exploring summit #3. To determine if it is passable or not.

Here is the topo maps David K posted.

Here are the three summits traced on Google Earth showing accesss from Hwy 3 at KM`108 and the direction to Cohabuso Jct.

A little closer view on GE.

The area that appears to be not passable.

Anyone wanting to join us let us know. I suggested next weekend June 27 and 28. I'm open to other dates.

Roy and I were thinking to first check out the area from the Pole Line Road end. Start at Laguna Salada Hwy 2. Drive to Cohabuzo Jct then to the bottom of summit #1 and over to the Y etc.

If indeed the road is out we can backtrack go over summit #1 or #2. The last time I was on summit #2 it was pretty rough. Summit #1, the race summit, I think would be a better route.

Anyone interested?

David K - 6-20-2015 at 10:58 AM

I hope Emerson is available... and I am interested... Exploring Baja is the best!

David K - 6-21-2015 at 09:33 AM

Tom/Roy, a family birthday is that weekend, so I am out. Take many photos. Perhaps take a copy of the Gulick photo of the Jamau canyon shack to compare with one taken this year at the same spot?

[Edited on 6-22-2015 by David K]

ehall - 6-21-2015 at 06:06 PM

Wish I could join you guys.

wessongroup - 6-21-2015 at 09:05 PM

The guy that never stops moving ... TW .. good on ya :):)

Ken Cooke - 6-21-2015 at 09:08 PM

I wish I could go, too. Let us know what you find.

MICK - 6-22-2015 at 06:49 AM

Bring lots of water. It has been over 110 everyday in the last week

PaulW - 6-22-2015 at 09:43 AM

Hi Tim, Roy,
Guess I will be laid up until fall. Sorry to miss the trip.
Let me know if you are missing any GPS tracks and I will dig them up for you.
FYI, I will do the trip from San Felipe with some of the Jeepers in the Dec/Jan time frame. I plan to make GPS tracks for both Summits 2 & 3. I will walk the un-drive-able part of 3 and hope to drive 2. I will need inputs from your trip.
Thanks, Paul

TMW - 6-22-2015 at 09:59 AM

No problem Mick we will have plenty of water and other refreshments.

Paul thanks and we'll let you know if we need any GPS tracks but I think we have it covered, I hope.

No input from Emerson yet.

David K - 6-22-2015 at 10:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
No problem Mick we will have plenty of water and other refreshments.

Paul thanks and we'll let you know if we need any GPS tracks but I think we have it covered, I hope.

No input from Emerson yet.

I just sent Emerson an email, in case he hadn't seen this thread. I hope you guys have fun, I will be with you in spirit!

Emerson - 6-22-2015 at 12:39 PM

Hi there, sorry for the late reply...

So whats the plan? leaving Friday or Saturday?
Can we all group and convince DavidK to join the expedition?

-Emerson

StuckSucks - 6-22-2015 at 03:13 PM

Merely FYI, doing a little orienteering ...

On the northern part where Summit 3 "ends" (green arrow) there appears to be a foot/animal trail running south (orange arrows). From the south end, I can see pieces of a foot trail headed north. But without boots-on-ground, can't be sure.

[Edited on 6-22-2015 by StuckSucks]

TMW - 6-22-2015 at 03:27 PM

Emerson, I'll talk to Roy this evening but I'm pretty sure he can leave Friday as can I. If so are you good for Friday? If not we can leave Saturday. My plan is to come down to San Diego the day before and meet Roy the next morning, probably at the gas/store parking lot before the border at Tecate. Roy lives in SD.

When I last spoke with Roy we thought we would go in at Laguna Salada to Cohabuzo Jct and on to the start of the Pole Line Road. Follow it to the Y and then over to where the road ends. See green arrow above. Then walk that part to where a road starts again, or drive it if the trails is OK, if not retreat and cross over the race summit #1 and go around and follow the trail for summit #3 to see how the road is.

Nice work StuckSucks.

StuckSucks - 6-22-2015 at 03:49 PM

Then walk that part to where a road starts again, or drive it if the trails is OK

I just measured the distance, following an apparent route, and it's around .7 mile.

David K - 6-23-2015 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Emerson  
Hi there, sorry for the late reply...

So whats the plan? leaving Friday or Saturday?
Can we all group and convince DavidK to join the expedition?

-Emerson

Thanks Emerson... I am looking forward to meeting and four wheeling with you and your other amigos from Mexicali someday! This next weekend is a birthday event in the family here in San Diego. I do have 3 Baja trips planned in July, however...

TMW - 6-23-2015 at 10:17 AM

I talked to Roy last night and we are good to go either Friday or Saturday. I'll start loading up today.

David K - 6-23-2015 at 04:34 PM

You guys have a great expedition... take mucho photos please... road forks, road ends, trails, shacks... thanks!

I hope Emerson connects with you guys, too!

TMW - 6-23-2015 at 08:46 PM

As of this evening I have not heard from him on what days he wants to go. Roy and I are good for Friday or Saturday.

I have to take my cat to the vet on Tuesday. So far in the last month I've spent $900 on the cat at the vet. He has baby blue eyes like old Blue Eyes, Frank.

The squarecircle - 6-23-2015 at 10:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Wish I could join you guys. [/rquot Greetings, ehall Just throw some gear into your cage and do it and stop wishing about it!! >>>>> I don't know what you are driving but if it is not air conditioned that could be a limiting factor. Could be very hot out there. >>>> Waiting to hear from "emerson" on what day >>Saturday or Sunday. >>>>> Best, sq.

David K - 6-24-2015 at 08:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by The squarecircle  
Wish I could join you guys.
Greetings, ehall Just throw some gear into your cage and do it and stop wishing about it!! >>>>> I don't know what you are driving but if it is not air conditioned that could be a limiting factor. Could be very hot out there. >>>> Waiting to hear from "emerson" on what day >>Saturday or Sunday. >>>>> Best, sq.

Ed has a VERY capable Jeep Rubicon... here it is on the Pole Line Road run:

Emerson - 6-24-2015 at 10:59 AM

I was thinking in leaving Friday late afternoon, cross the desert and get as close as we can to the canyon, sleep, and on Saturday, early AM, explore the lower part of the canyon, and towards noon head up to the passable summits to higher grounds, and explore the south part of the canyon.
Im planning to call TMW today to finetune details.
-Emerson.

The squarecircle - 6-24-2015 at 11:42 AM

Greetings Emerson >>>>Thank you for the come back. This sounds like a good plan. >>>> Tom will call me and inform me of where-what-why & when in the next few days. >>>> Now I'm gathering my gear and stuffing it into the cage.>>>> Should be an interesting trip and hopefully fun. >>>>> Best Regards, sq.

David K - 6-24-2015 at 12:58 PM

Best of luck Squarecircle!

This reminds me of the time that you, TW, and others opened up the abandoned La Turquesa Grade to your 4 wheel drive Land Rover (previously only a motorcycle route from the mine to the grade bottom)!

2007: Grade discovered: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=22806

2007: Roy goes to the mine: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=25035

2008: Enterprise organized, and completed: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=30726

The Squarecircle is without a hat and TW is holding the big stick.

Nearing the top of the grade.

Emerson - 6-25-2015 at 02:16 PM

OK, so Im almost positive I can make it on Friday.

Lets meet at 7:15pm at the Laguna Salada entrance.

Plan is to cross all the desert at night, and sleep Friday night at the base of Jamau Canyon, Saturday will be mostly exploring and somehow climbing one of the summits to check the other end of Jamau.

What communication method are you using?, I have a Ham Radio on the Cruiser.

I guess we all would take our own supplies, food, water, gas, including extra for any emergency.

I'll be taking my DeLorme InReach Communicator, just in case.

I'll give Tom a call to confirm all this.

All set!

TMW - 6-25-2015 at 04:37 PM

Talked to Emerson and Roy a little while ago and we are set to go. Will meet Roy tomorrow and with Emerson at Laguna Salada Friday evening. The Desert Amigos are on the go.

David K - 6-25-2015 at 05:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Emerson  
OK, so Im almost positive I can make it on Friday.

Lets meet at 7:15pm at the Laguna Salada entrance.

Plan is to cross all the desert at night, and sleep Friday night at the base of Jamau Canyon, Saturday will be mostly exploring and somehow climbing one of the summits to check the other end of Jamau.

What communication method are you using?, I have a Ham Radio on the Cruiser.

I guess we all would take our own supplies, food, water, gas, including extra for any emergency.

I'll be taking my DeLorme InReach Communicator, just in case.

I'll give Tom a call to confirm all this.

All set!

Fantastic! Wish I could go, too! Baja is the best for exploring!

ehall - 6-25-2015 at 05:50 PM

I'm jealous.

David K - 6-26-2015 at 08:52 AM

I will have TW's SPOT signal and Emerson's DeLorme InReach signal so we all can 'travel' with them, electronically. They are meeting at Laguna Salada tonight...

ehall - 6-26-2015 at 09:15 AM

Great, will he mind if you post his link to the delorme page?

David K - 6-26-2015 at 09:43 AM

Great, will he mind if you post his link to the delorme page?

Both Tom and Emerson said I could share their map tracks with you all on Nomad.

David K - 6-26-2015 at 02:37 PM

TW's Spot Friday Afternoon, 2:20pm... at La Rumorosa:

David K - 6-26-2015 at 05:22 PM

TW SPOT at 4:30pm Friday... looks like he and Roy went down the Cantu Grade (dirt switchbacks) instead of Hwy. 2?

TW-2.jpg - 239kB

TW SPOT at 4:16pm...

[Edited on 6-27-2015 by David K]

Friday PM Reports

David K - 6-26-2015 at 11:39 PM

6:45pm Tom was at the Laguna Salada entrance, just off Hwy. 2

7:45pm Tom was on the lakebed south about 10 miles.

9:49pm Tom was just north of Cohabuzo Junction.

11:13pm Tom was near La Palmita, about 7 miles north of the bottom of Summit #1.

11:32 Emerson's DeLorme sent this signal... a couple miles southbound from Tom's position 19 minutes earlier.

The good news is they are traveling together and nearing their goal.

11:42pm

David K - 6-26-2015 at 11:48 PM

About a mile from the Pole Line Road locked gate/ bottom of Summit #1:

Emerson-2.jpg - 164kB

ehall - 6-27-2015 at 05:15 AM

The fun starts this morning

12:24am Saturday

David K - 6-27-2015 at 07:48 AM

They arrived at the locked gate on the Pole Line Road (bottom of Summit #1) and set up camp just south of it...

The DeLorme inReach device also allows short message exchanges. Here is what came with the above map:

"Hey David, every thing ok, were sleeping here tonight! -Emerson"

TW also sent a Spot signal at the same time and place:

A new Spot signal just came in... stand by...

David K - 6-27-2015 at 08:04 AM

Close up:

8:11 am at the Jamau Y

David K - 6-27-2015 at 08:49 AM

Emerson-4.jpg - 231kB

8:47 am Bottom of Summit #3/ Caņon de Jamau

David K - 6-27-2015 at 09:01 AM

They are at the end of the visible road on GoogleEarth... Now, they will try and drive up (if there is a road we don't see) to Rancho Jamau (shack site), about a mile up the canyon. From there, we do see a road to the top of the mountain and beyond. It is this 1 mile gap that needs to be explored.

9:01 am

David K - 6-27-2015 at 09:07 AM

Emerson is progressing up the canyon. The dots are 10 minutes apart. My guess is they are hiking?

Emerson-5.jpg - 242kB

David K - 6-27-2015 at 05:19 PM

OK, now that Nomad is back online, and I am back home, let's get up to speed with Tom, Roy and Emerson...

I posted a couple of locations on Baja Nomad Facebook earlier, when the forums were off line...

Basically, that they got to the bottom of Caņon Jamau and could not drive any further than the satellite images showed was a road... and could not even hike the mile up to the ranch/ shack site (which is at the bottom of the road down from the top (Summit #3).

In the following Spot emails I got, they headed back to Summit #1, on the Pole Line Road, and climbed to the top... and out to Hwy. 3.

Emerson-7.jpg - 231kB

3-4 PM SAT

David K - 6-27-2015 at 05:32 PM

Emerson sent a message that the summit was VERY rough and then his track shows he began to go to the other summit roads, but about 3 pm turned around and headed out. Both Emerson's in Reach and TW's SPOT signals show them in Valle de Trinidad at 4 pm today.

There is a signal gap between the mountain road and Hwy. 3.

David K - 6-27-2015 at 05:48 PM

At 3:01 pm, Emerson posted they came to a locked gate, so that was the end of the run to Summit #3. They then moved down to Valle de Trinidad.

David K - 6-27-2015 at 06:29 PM

At 6:25pm Saturday, TW's Spot signal came from Hwy. 3, just east of Ojos Negros Valley. Looks like they are having dinner in Ensenada tonight? Looking forward to the travel stories... Thanks guys for sharing your locations the past 24 hours with us!

David K - 6-27-2015 at 08:09 PM

Well, just got a Spot and they are near Laguna Hanson tonight.

Mexitron - 6-28-2015 at 11:34 AM

Not surprised they couldn't find a way up #3---we took a look around there for a way across and couldn't see anything...must have been quite a gully washer to scour the canyon out like that. Happens in those mountains though.

David K - 6-29-2015 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  
Not surprised they couldn't find a way up #3---we took a look around there for a way across and couldn't see anything...must have been quite a gully washer to scour the canyon out like that. Happens in those mountains though.

I got a more detailed letter from Emerson yesterday about the hike... the road was washed away so it was too narrow to drive on safely, then he mentioned a dry waterfall... he explored beyond it a few minutes and saw the plain (flat area) beyond, but turned back to rejoin TW. Roy didn't do that hike and was convinced there was another canyon route, maybe more south. Emerson has a busy week, but will produce a report in time.

After the Spot from Laguna Hanson area, Sat. night, another Spot came in from La Rumorosa on Hwy. 2, Sunday.

Looking forward to hearing Tom and Roy's reports!

[Edited on 6-29-2015 by David K]

TMW - 6-29-2015 at 05:17 PM

We drove in to the base of the race summit for Friday night. Weather was good not hot just about right without sleeping bag.

Saturday we drove over to the Y and then to the end of the road toward summit #3. Did not see a road or route west along the ridge of the arroyo. There appeared to be a road at one time going down into the arroyo. In hindsight it was probably to get water because it didn't go too far. Emerson and I hiked the arroyo west toward the mtn. rough going getting rougher as we went west. Bushes with thorns, tall grass, rocks and more rocks and bolder's. Tree like vines. We finally got to a rock wall 30-40 feet high. We climbed and crawled up it. Near the top I stopped for a break and Emerson went on and hiked further. I waited for him to come back and he said he did not see a cabin but may not have went far enough. Did not see a road from our location either. Lots of vegetation. We did see a road as we came in on the PLR. Our thoughts were to go back and drive over the race summit and follow the road to summit #3 and go down it and then look for a cabin.

Emerson looked around at the top of the waterfall and found dried cow manure so we followed what looked to be a cow trail, not a trail you normally see like a foot wide of soft sand but mostly just dried cow manure. It was a much easier path than in the arroyo. We were around the mountain and out of sight of the vehicles but following the cow path was the way to go. Back at the vehicles we talked it over and agreed to go up over the race summit.

The race summit was very rough in several places going up. At one place it was an either/or and Emerson leading went left and did too but I came upon a large rock that I could not get over. Left right or straight. Roy went right and go up OK so I backed down about 100 yards and followed Roy's path up and over.

We came to a meadow with a ranch house with a truck and a dog tied up and barking but no one in sight. We continued and after several gates we got to the Jamau jct and turned toward the hotel/campground/restaurant. A couple of miles past it we came to a metal gate with a large lock in a steel cylinder. Also steel pipe for a fence so no way around it.

E decided to go in Trinidad for dinner. Emerson left for Mexicali after dinner and Roy and I headed up to Laguna Hanson for the night. Lots of areas burnt from a fire up there.

Knowing that the cow trail is not hard to follow I think going back would make for good hike looking for the cabin. Maybe when it is cooler.

The waterfall is at 31-35.599x115-33.832 at 3296 feet AMSL.

Thank you for the report!

David K - 6-29-2015 at 05:27 PM

I was on the phone with Roy this afternoon, as well.

Here's the GPS for your waterfall TW. The Mile 0.8 is the end of the road from the Y on the Pole Line Road. The 1.0 Mile Hike is about where the cabin was in 1961, per Howard Gulick.

TW Waterfall.jpg - 145kB

TMW - 6-29-2015 at 05:52 PM

I purchased a Garmin NUVI-52LM GPS on ebay a few weeks ago. It has a 5 inch screen and comes with the USA maps. I loaded the E32 Cartografia Mexico map. It worked great. It shows hwys in yellow. Main dirt roads in purple and secondary roads in white. Arroyos in blue. Following the road to the base of the race summit in purple then the road to the PLR Y was also in purple and after the Y in white.

Coming down the La Rumarosa grade it showed me going cross country a few times so I guess the road has changed over the years. It mounts to the windshield on a suction cup but I think I'll do a hard mount to the dash. The suction mount worked OK on the trip, no problems.

David K - 6-30-2015 at 09:00 AM

Roy told me you had an impressive GPS map now.

In hindsight, would you go up Summit #2 knowing that #1 was so rough? However, coming down west from #2, do you think a gate would have trapped you guys?

Also, do you think there is another, more southern approach to get to Summit #3 (from Hwy. 3/ the west)?

TMW - 6-30-2015 at 09:13 AM

Yes the locked gate was before the turn to summit #2 so coming up #2 we would have had to turn around and go back down.

I've been past the locked gate (before it was put in) and we followed the road around to a plane crash site. I have also followed the routes on GE and I don't see any other way to summit #3.

Summit 1 was rougher than I had seen it before but the only hangup was the one place with the big rock that I couldn't get over. I think I was getting one wheel up in the front and losing traction. We joked that if I had Atrac I could have made it and I probably would have. But the trail Roy took was much easier. Emerson has lockers front and rear.

PaulW - 6-30-2015 at 09:24 AM

Access to #2
At the north end of Summit 2 there is evidence from my last trip that the bulldozer had made a new path where we made the turn to bypass the lock gate. Two of us walked up that steep slope and sure enough there was a road heading south. I am not sure any of us could climb that steep path up the bank. Maybe front & rear lockers would work?
Then there is another road from they that crossed the gully just south of that place. Look on GE and see it.
If the guys found summit 1 road difficult then they were not on the new road. I published the old and new road tracks previously. You all need to get a proper GPS that can share tracks. For a current Garmin that would be an Oregon or Montana. Many older versions of hiker GPS will also work. Nuvi's do not have track sharing capability.

David K - 6-30-2015 at 10:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Access to #2
At the north end of Summit 2 there is evidence from my last trip that the bulldozer had made a new path where we made the turn to bypass the lock gate. Two of us walked up that steep slope and sure enough there was a road heading south. I am not sure any of us could climb that steep path up the bank. Maybe front & rear lockers would work?
Then there is another road from they that crossed the gully just south of that place. Look on GE and see it.
If the guys found summit 1 road difficult then they were not on the new road. I published the old and new road tracks previously. You all need to get a proper GPS that can share tracks. For a current Garmin that would be an Oregon or Montana. Many older versions of hiker GPS will also work. Nuvi's do not have track sharing capability.

Paul, are you saying the entire summit grade (#1) has a parallel newer road? I know you shared that the bottom was different and berms blocked the old part near the bottom (opposite the locked gate)...?

PaulW - 6-30-2015 at 10:31 AM

Not only did I publish this image, but I gave out a GPS track for all the tracks shown.
This image is a screen shot of my GPS after I drove the roads.
The road called New Race has never been raced on and is made properly so as to have very little erosion damage. It goes up a different ridge that the old one. Pay attention to the location of fence gate, lock gate, stuck, berm, etc.
I might add that there are many more old roads on the grade up to Summit 1 and some are really hard. This is the reason I only gave out the easy tracks.

David K - 6-30-2015 at 10:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Not only did I publish this image, but I gave out a GPS track for all the tracks shown.
This image is a screen shot of my GPS after I drove the roads.
The road called New Race has never been raced on and is made properly so as to have very little erosion damage. It goes up a different ridge that the old one. Pay attention to the location of fence gate, lock gate, stuck, berm, etc.
I might add that there are many more old roads on the grade up to Summit 1 and some are really hard. This is the reason I only gave out the easy tracks.

Thanks, that is what I remember you posting from the week before our Pole Line Road trip... that a new bottom section for the summit was in place. Looks like it replaces about the bottom 1/4 of the grade? Then just above the new road I see you show a 'steep' vs. 'ok' new detour...

TW, where on this map was the locker/ A-TRAC rock?

TMW - 6-30-2015 at 01:24 PM

Before the locked gate is a fence gate that we went thru to the bypass to get around to the PLR Y. Coming back when you go back thru the fence gate you make a hard left U turn to get on the race summit road as shown above.

The new summit course is more rough than I remember from years past in several areas. The area I had a problem and had to back down appears to be at the Y hard line that shows a red and blue line above. It was at a either/or area. In years past the left side going up was normally not used because of the washouts. Looking at GE it appears to be at 31-37.860x115-36.230. We didn't have any trouble after that.

TMW - 6-30-2015 at 01:33 PM

This is where the locked gate is in reference to the summit 2 and 3 roads

Ken Cooke - 6-30-2015 at 02:25 PM

Summit 1 was rougher than I had seen it before but the only hangup was the one place with the big rock that I couldn't get over. I think I was getting one wheel up in the front and losing traction. We joked that if I had Atrac I could have made it and I probably would have. But the trail Roy took was much easier. Emerson has lockers front and rear.

Was the rock you describe like a steep stair step, that climbed a steep angle several hundred feet? If so, we took the Jeeps up that section, risking our lives, but making it to the top.

PaulW - 6-30-2015 at 03:06 PM

dk wrote,
Thanks, that is what I remember you posting from the week before our Pole Line Road trip... that a new bottom section for the summit was in place. Looks like it replaces about the bottom 1/4 of the grade? Then just above the new road I see you show a 'steep' vs. 'ok' new detour...
== ====
Not a detour just an either or. Been using them both for many years.
Steep is not so loose pitch with good traction. Used for years by the racers. 3 of my party went up it. The rest of us took the OK which is the shelf road version. It has a pretty good drop off, but has more than enough clearance for a trophy truck.
Above that we just keep right to avoid the pitfalls and washouts of the hard sections. The racers never go the hard way. So the result is the that is the loop road that everybody uses.
Connect the two "Hard" places and you have the route that we all avoid

[Edited on 6-30-2015 by PaulW]

David K - 6-30-2015 at 03:55 PM

Thank you... all in all, not bad considering the road was built in 1942!

PaulW - 6-30-2015 at 03:56 PM

Future Options to get to summit 3
Using data from Tom and finding roads on GE I can see where the LG near San Simon is and I can see that if one drives over smt 2 that LG will be bypassed. And if one avoids Jamau and can get thru all the gates in the valley the travel will arrive at T15Rt, then on to Smt 3.
For sure there is so much biker activity near/at Jamau its no wonder the road is locked up. I bet the rancher can be convinced to allow an exploration group to pass?

And look closely on GE (below) and see parallel road that bypass the LG that Tom found (31.532296, -115.684555). Given enough time a bypass should be easy to find.

David K - 6-30-2015 at 04:03 PM

Next time! :light::biggrin::cool:

TMW - 7-1-2015 at 01:14 PM

Paul from the locked gate you can see a road along the other side of the arroyo next to the mtn and it comes out to the LG. The steel pipe fence appears to go all the way to mtn side. We did not follow it to see but it went as far as you could see in that direction.

As far as the race summit once you are on it (the new section) from the arroyo you can see another fence gate up near the new summit road and where they bull dozed rock etc to close that route. The old fence gate was down and we did not hike down to close it. There are a couple of places on the race summit east side that are either/or and they have been there for many years.

Once we went over the summit we took the first steel gate to our left instead of the various routes used in previous Baja races. We ended at a fence and turned around and went north then west then south going thru 3 or 4 steel gates, none were locked, before getting on the road that joined the race course to the Goat Hill. RECORD Racing had a race on while we went thru. There were pits in the area.

The rock I could not get over was maybe 4 feet in diameter in the middle of the road and maybe a foot high. I could not go around but had to get either my left or right front tire on it. When I did I think the other side went up which caused me to lose traction in the front and the rear wheels would spin in the loose rock. After several tries and not wanting to tear up the tread I backed down and took the other path.

[Edited on 7-1-2015 by TMW]

PaulW - 7-1-2015 at 02:13 PM

Paul from the locked gate you can see a road along the other side of the arroyo next to the mtn and it comes out to the LG. The steel pipe fence appears to go all the way to mtn side. We did not follow it to see but it went as far as you could see in that direction.
= = =
OK going around the gate is NG
= = =
As far as the race summit once you are on it (the new section) from the arroyo you can see another fence gate up near the new summit road and where they bull dozed rock etc to close that route. The old fence gate was down and we did not hike down to close it. There are a couple of places on the race summit east side that are either/or and they have been there for many years.
= = =
10-4 That was the fence gate we has to unwire on one end because it had a padlock & chain on the other end. My first PLR trip with SF locals.
= = =
Once we went over the summit we took the first steel gate to our left instead of the various routes used in previous Baja races. We ended at a fence and turned around and went north then west then south going thru 3 or 4 steel gates, none were locked, before getting on the road that joined the race course to the Goat Hill. RECORD Racing had a race on while we went thru. There were pits in the area.
= = =
Be darned, that was the route we took in the dark because I missed the turn to take the race road. I thot for sure that rancher would have padlocks by now? What is important about the fact you found the gates unlocked is near the bottom of the canyon are the roads that lead east and provide access to Smt 2 and 3 by bypassing the LG you found and had to turn around.
= = =
The rock I could not get over was maybe 4 feet in diameter in the middle of the road and maybe a foot high. I could not go around but had to get either my left or right front tire on it. When I did I think the other side went up which caused me to lose traction in the front and the rear wheels would spin in the loose rock. After several tries and not wanting to tear up the tread I backed down and took the other path.
= = =
Still have no idea of the rock location
= = =
[Edited on 7-1-2015 by TMW]

Appreciate your clarafication
Paul

[Edited on 7-1-2015 by PaulW]

TMW - 7-1-2015 at 07:37 PM

Here are the pictures from our trip. I have more of the La Rumorosa Grade for another time.

Bottom of the grade the rock house is falling apart, no one there.

Road down to the arroyo to start our hike.

Thru the trees.

Wiley did not make it.

More brush.

More rocks.

These next 4 pictures show the water falls going left to right. I was about half way up on the left or south side.

On top looking down at the falls.

Looking west from the top.

Cow trail back.

From the new race summit road looking at the PLR locked gate.

The old race course fence gate. They bull dozed rock to block the road to it from where we were.

Locked gate and pipe fence on road to summits 2 and 3.

We went to Trinidad for a late lunch then Roy and I went to the pine forest at Laguna Hanson.

David K - 7-2-2015 at 08:10 AM

Thank you Tom! Appreciate the photos and the expedition.

That was some waterfall in Caņon Jamau... Amazing that there ever was a road coming down the mountain there... or even a hiking trail such as the one Gulick and guests walked back in 1961 to the shack.

Ken Cooke - 7-3-2015 at 08:58 PM

From the new race summit road looking at the PLR locked gate.
[URL=http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/tmw5/media/Misc%203/SAM_0813.jpg.html]

With the angle of this photo, I almost see an 'L'-shaped go-around beneath the gate up to the dirt road. Hmmm. With my pick-ax and a shovel, this might save us work the next time. :bounce:

PaulW - 7-4-2015 at 07:13 AM

Picture does not show enough to say that. The first time we dug and moved rocks and got thru. The bypass to the west of the gate we made the first time is now blocked by very big rocks. Second time we envisioned going into the wash, but no way the drop off into the wash is major. A route up the hill at the gate was checked out to the east, but is blocked by big rocks and steepness.
Another possibility is to drive north on the road toward the rancho and find a bushwhack turn to the west and into Siaz.
Good thing I had my trusty GPS which showed all the paths we could use to drive and do the drive around down the wash.
Drive up there and check it out.

TMW - 7-4-2015 at 10:29 AM

Paul is this the rancher's house. On the PLR I took the picture on the new race summit road where it meets the old race road near the old fence gate in a picture above. If on the PLR up from the locked gate it would be looking east by southeast.

[Edited on 7-4-2015 by TMW]

David K - 7-4-2015 at 12:31 PM

TW, is that Rancho Huatamote?

TMW - 7-4-2015 at 12:37 PM

It could be. It appears to be in the right location.

PaulW - 7-4-2015 at 03:15 PM

Consider this
Wash access WP to N Siaz is 31 38.011, - 34.708

David K - 7-4-2015 at 08:17 PM

Well, at least we know Caņon Jamau is not a through road as shown on the topo, thanks to Roy, Emerson and Tom!

Ken Cooke - 7-30-2015 at 05:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Well, at least we know Caņon Jamau is not a through road as shown on the topo, thanks to Roy, Emerson and Tom!

Thanks for your hard work during such a hot time in the year. It sure is a beautiful region in Baja California.

TMW - 8-18-2015 at 12:53 PM

The rock I could not get over going up the race summit is at or near
coordinates 31-37.920x115-36.230. On the picture below it is at the crosshair on the road on the right about the middle of the picture. The ranch house and coral is in a meadow before reaching the top of the summit and is shown in the lower left of the picture. We did not see or meet anyone at the house but a dog was barking all the while we were stopped there.

David K - 8-18-2015 at 03:24 PM

Thanks Tom... so that's almost at the top of Portezuelo de Jamau (original Pole Line Road summit)?

PaulW - 8-18-2015 at 07:00 PM

Tom the track you took has not been used by the racers for many years. To slow as you found. The longer loop is a very good road. Yup - did it in the dark once and did not find your rock.

TMW - 8-19-2015 at 09:12 AM

Here is a GE image further west showing the race summit peak in the crosshair. The ranch house is maybe 1/4 mile to the upper right.

PaulW - 8-20-2015 at 05:42 AM

The last time I drove past the place the dog was barking and the truck was parked the the west of the road. There was a man standing in front of the building watching us as we drove by. Could not make much out as it was just after dusk with poor light.
Tom, Are you making tracks with your GPS or just logging waypoints?
Paul

TMW - 8-20-2015 at 07:41 AM

I just logged way points.

ehall - 8-20-2015 at 05:33 PM

Now I want to go and try to climb the rock!

ChuckMRN - 8-20-2015 at 07:49 PM

Your rig would prob make it look easy Ed!

ehall - 8-20-2015 at 10:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ChuckMRN  

Your rig would prob make it look easy Ed!

Hey chuck how ya been? If these guys get a trip going this winter hope you can make it.

Questions for TW

Ken Cooke - 8-23-2015 at 06:00 PM

On my Pole Line Trip in November 2013, our group traveled up the Summit #2 and stumbled upon a tricky stairstep section that required each Jeep walk up each step using front and rear lockers.

Question: Does Summit #3 have tricky sections like this one that I describe? With my short-wheelbase, lifted Jeep, hill climbs are less than stable experiences I'd rather avoid.

Question: Have you come across this super steep climb on Summit #2 and what was your impression of it??

TMW - 8-24-2015 at 09:40 AM

I have not been on Summit #3, at least yet.

The last time I was on Summit #2 was about 11 years ago and I don't recall how steep it was. I went up it in my 93 Toyota with no front locker. I don't remember having any problems but as you know the rains can change everything.

A couple of years ago SCORE had to re-route the SF250 race because the rains had messed up the course up the race Summit #1.

David K - 8-24-2015 at 10:57 AM

Ken, the purpose of the guy's last trip there was to see if the Mexican topo map was true, and a road came down from Summit 3 to the Pole Line Road (at the Y/ Caņon Jamau Ranch), as it shows.

The finding is no... Lower end road ends near the canyon entrance, 0.8 mile from the Y. It is approx. 1 mile from there to the ranch/ shack site 'Jamau'. Photos they took look like no road ever existed in that mile.

From the ranch/ shack location (Gulick photos) up to the summit (#3) a road IS seen on Google Earth.

TMW - 8-24-2015 at 01:28 PM

I'm planning another walk this Oct when it is cooler. From the end of the road coming from the PLR Y we got maybe half way to what looked to be a water falls as we had to climb almost straight up 20+ feet or more. We walked back following a cow trail that was pretty easy more or less.

I plan to take the cow trail to the water falls then continue on to the shack if there is one and at least verify a road coming down from Summit #3. I'm hoping the walk from the water fall toward the shack is not as bad as it was the first time in the wash.

Boulders, trees and bushes are not always fun.

PaulW - 8-24-2015 at 01:40 PM

Count me in . Late Oct
=======
I'm planning another walk this Oct when it is cooler. From the end of the road coming from the PLR Y we got maybe half way to what looked to be a water falls as we had to climb almost straight up 20+ feet or more. We walked back following a cow trail that was pretty easy more or less.

I plan to take the cow trail to the water falls then continue on to the shack if there is one and at least verify a road coming down from Summit #3. I'm hoping the walk from the water fall toward the shack is not as bad as it was the first time in the wash.

Boulders, trees and bushes are not always fun.

TMW - 8-24-2015 at 01:43 PM

Here are two images of the path. The first is a Google Earth image of where the road ends at both the north end and south end.

From GE

Bing image shows a more clear picture. WF is the site of the water falls. SE is the south end and you can see the road coming in from Summit #3.

TMW - 8-24-2015 at 01:45 PM

Thanks Paul, your in.

Ken Cooke - 8-28-2015 at 05:59 PM

TW - When we drove up (either Summit #1 or #2), we came across a seriously steep section of trail with stairsteps out of a Godzilla movie. I didn't turn around or back off of the gas - just locked both axles and drove up it. Craziest mountain trail I've ever driven.

TMW - 8-28-2015 at 06:34 PM

That had to be #2 because #1 was not a problem except where I met the rock. The bypass route around it was OK.

ehall - 8-29-2015 at 06:17 AM

Is one of those trails El Mano Pass?

Ken Cooke - 8-29-2015 at 06:25 AM

Look at this link from my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BajaPoleLineGroup

album: Camp: Lower Mano Canyon
link: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.619342491455971.10...

album: Jeep: Mano Canyon, Sierra Juarez, Ensenada, Tijuana
link: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.619347511455469.10...

The steep hillclimb with the two built Jeeps shows a milder portion of the trail. Crazy camber with 1,000 ft. dropoff (w/washouts), rocky, and STEEP climbs.

David K - 8-29-2015 at 07:02 AM

Nope...

The Mano Canyon road joined the one we were on last April, just south of Cohabuzo Jcn. (where we met up with Mick and the Bronco). Where the first fence gate we opened and went left in the wash (following John M's GPS), the Mano Canyon junction was on the right road.

Here is your Pole Line Trip track map with the two mountain routes pointed out:

ehall - 8-29-2015 at 10:46 AM

Thanks

David K - 8-29-2015 at 11:45 AM

My pleasure Ed.

Ken Cooke - 8-30-2015 at 06:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
[/URL]

This map makes clear sense of the route I took in Nov. 2013 :yes:

David K - 8-30-2015 at 06:46 AM

Thanks Ken. It shows the nearly equal distance to Guadalupe Canyon from either Hwy. 3 or Hwy. 5. That fork 2.4 miles south of Cohabuzo Jcn. is the road south to the Pole Line Road (apparently too rough for the Auto Club mappers who turned around at 3.1 miles).
 Pages:  1