BajaNomad

New member intro and questions

David1975 - 8-27-2015 at 02:43 AM

Hello all. I signed up here because I plan to take my family (2 yr old, 5 yr old and wife) on a camping trip to the Baja this coming Christmas break. I have been scouring forums and blogs for information but was hoping to start a conversation with some of the specific questions I'm thinking of.
We live in NM and are looking at about a 2 week trip. Looks like it is 11 hours from Santa Fe to Mexicali where we plan to cross. From there I am trying to decide if it is smarter to cross to the Pacific side and work south a bit or head straight south down the Sea side. Is the weather a lot different between the two? is the culture? Our plan is to camp as much as is reasonable and maybe hit a hotel when it seems worth it.
Does anyone have a first days drive from Mexicali I could look at?
I've heard of a book called the Baja Almanac. Is that worth tracking down?
Whale watching seems like a very popular activity. Is late December too early in the season? Any recommendations as to where whale watching would be best? Keeping in mind we won't make it too far south in the 2 week time.
Anyway I'll stop there and see how it goes. My wife and I have traveled quite a bit in Africa and India as well as SE Asia so we understand general safe travel concerns. Of course we have never brought along two kids and a camper so it's a new adventure for sure. I'm looking to put together a loose set of plans and to get some pointers about the region. Thanks. David

woody with a view - 8-27-2015 at 04:28 AM

go down the cortez side. you could be in cabo in 4 days and then spend the next 10 slowly working your way back up or anything in between! Scammon's Lagoon will fill up with whales first since its closest, i'd think. come back here tonight and you'll have more replies than you know what to do with.

don't worry about the almanac. just get a map and it'll get you wherever you want to be. what are you driving? be prepared to change/plug tires and reinflate.

Whale-ista - 8-27-2015 at 04:52 AM

Almanac is overkill for most trips. Lots of detail for extended travel, esp offroad, but not essential. Auto club maps are fine.

December is usually early for whales but last year they were arriving by then. With the unusually strong El Niño forming all bets are off re whale arrival etc. Scammons lagoon near Guerrero Negro is easiest to reach and has earliest whale arrivals. San Ignacio is nice but whales arrive later in the year.

Unfortunately El Niño years can be tough on whales. Often less food up north, more mortalities, fewer calves.

Weather is warmer on Cortez side. Winters on Pacific normally colder, and likely wetter this year . In 2 weeks you can easily see both coasts.

In my experience Cultural shifts are more north/south vs east/west. South is more tropical, north is temperate, the people dress accordingly, and buildings are designed to match. Also inland is ranching and horses, but these influences often show up on the Pacific coast in fishing towns. (See Bahia Asuncion's horse racing,)

Enjoy the trip! I'm sure you will get many more replies and suggestions.

SFandH - 8-27-2015 at 05:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David1975  

Looks like it is 11 hours from Santa Fe to Mexicali where we plan to cross. From there I am trying to decide if it is smarter to cross to the Pacific side and work south a bit or head straight south down the Sea side. Is the weather a lot different between the two?

Go south to San Felipe for the first night, maybe Gonzaga. We'll see what other nomads think is the best first night stop for a baja newbie with kids in tow.

The northern peninsula weather will be better, maybe much better, on the Sea of Cortez side than on the Pacific side in December. If you decide to head to Pacific coast right after crossing the border, I suggest you use the Tecate crossing.

Don't plan to drive at night. Just too dangerous for several reasons. You'll see. Be watchful for speed bumps along populated stretches of the road. Especially as you enter the small towns. Some of the bumps are poorly marked and can be quite a jolt if you hit them hard.

[Edited on 8-27-2015 by SFandH]

shari - 8-27-2015 at 07:04 AM

Welcome to the forum David and family and thanks for the introduction which makes it easier to offer helpful advice!

I agree to head down the gulf side first then perhaps come over to our neck of the desert for Christmas...we have a really fun family gathering the kids might like and there are lots of children around...then on your way back you can see whales at Guerrero Negro as the last thing before you head north...your kids are going to LOVE the trip!!!

the trick is to find a place you like and stay to enjoy it instead of being in the truck alot...less driving...more beach! Doing half the baja would be nicer...then do the other half the next trip!

I sent you a private message U2U that you get up in the top right corner of the page...buen viaje and dont forget to do a trip report!

Ateo - 8-27-2015 at 07:20 AM

I would agree with above, if crossing at Mexicali, I would head south from there. You can always drive the Pacific Coast on the way back home and cross in Tecate or TJ. Like SFandH said, Gonzaga would be a great place to spend the first night/camp, maybe even for a day or two. Then head a little further south to Bahia de Los Angeles (BOLA)?

San Ignacio, Mulege, and Loreto are also cool to check out. Then head back north and do the Pacific side, although there's not much ocean to see until you get back to San Quintin area, unless you have an off-road vehicle and/or are willing to drive some dirt roads.

I'll be down there during this same time. Honk if you see a gray Toyota Tundra with surfboards on top. :D

What do you guys like to do? Fish? Surf? Missions? History?

David K - 8-27-2015 at 08:09 AM

Hello David,
I didn't see what kind of vehicle you have. This is key to recommending anything. Are you comfortable off the highway?

Going south on Mex #5 from Mexicali to Gonzaga Bay or any spot south of San Felipe is a great first step. Punta Estrella Beach and Rancho Percebu have sand beaches and palapas (shade) to park under. Both are only a few miles south of San Felipe (10-20).

Gonzaga Bay is 95 miles south, has a Pemex gas station and a pretty well-stocked market with ice, across the highway. About a mile south is the turnoff to Campo Beluga and El Sacrificio for camping or cabins.
Anyway, that's the start of your trip, the rest will all work out!

Yes, the gulf (Cortez) side is desert, warmer in the summer, and different than the Pacific side. One Pacific side town you will want to explore is Bahia Asuncion, and a visit to one of the facilities run by Nomad, 'Shari'.

The AAA map is no longer in print, but enough of it is online that you can print out the areas you want to explore. The Baja California Almanac is an excellent topo road map book. Get one before they are no longer available, as you may fall in love with Baja and will want it, specially if you have a 4WD.

Click on the link in my signature just below to review my 2012 15 day Baja trip report...

AAA Map

bajaguy - 8-27-2015 at 08:13 AM

May no longer be in print, but I have always been able to obtain copies at various AAA offices. They are good for general road information and have some details

PS: If you can find a Baja Almanac or two at reasonable prices, grab them. They show more detail than the AAA maps and are great for reference (and travels)

Also of you have or can purchase a GPS that has North American maps, such as a Garmin 2555 they are a great supplement for the maps and will also help you navigate through/around city/town streets

[Edited on 8-27-2015 by bajaguy]

David K - 8-27-2015 at 09:09 AM

Oh, after I just saw a stuck Dodge truck photo, I am reminded to tell you (David) that you should get an air pump for the tires (preferably one that clips onto the battery for speed, to fill the tires back or after plugging a hole... get a plug kit too) because sand is easily traveled over with tires deflated... depending on the vehicle and tire, usually 10-20 psi range. Then fill back up once back on the pavement. The graded dirt roads also are better traveled with about 10-15 psi dropped from your street pressure and it helps prevent sharp rock punctures, too.

bkbend - 8-27-2015 at 09:11 AM

Depending on what type of camper you have you may not want head south from Mexicali due to a 23-mile section of rough, unpaved road before it connects up with hwy 1. Many have done it, just depends on your tolerance for beating up a camper. I've done the two week Christmas thing with kids many times and never gone south of Bahia Conception. Further south the beaches are no nicer and it's a longer drive. North of there you run the risk of cooler, windier weather that time of year. You really want to park it and let them run around, they amuse themselves easily.

SFandH - 8-27-2015 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  
Depending on what type of camper you have you may not want head south from Mexicali due to a 23-mile section of rough, unpaved road before it connects up with hwy 1.

That is a good point I didn't consider.

When are they going to finish the road?

MMc - 8-27-2015 at 10:14 AM

Just a couple of other ideas. When there is a low over 4 corners area the wind will pick up and blow hard. if So cal is talking about santa ana it will be blowing. At that time of year we often get some big wind days, check the weather and maybe go to the pacific side if you are looking at 4 or 5 days of wind.
Gonzaga Bay and Bay of Los Angeles are really fun and cool.

BajaGeoff - 8-27-2015 at 10:22 AM

Welcome to Baja Nomad David!

Baja Bound still has some brand new copies of the 2009 Baja Almanac available. We are selling them at the cover price of $24.95 plus shipping. U2U me if you are interested and good luck planning your Baja adventure! You will find plenty of input and resources here on Baja Nomad!

¡Viva Baja!

Hook - 8-27-2015 at 10:49 AM

I like Shari's suggestion of staying GENERALLY in the northern half of Baja for a two week trip from NM. To do the southern part in two weeks from NM is TOO MUCH, unless you are a family of drivin' fools. I dont use the term "fools" derogatorily; some people just love to drive more than spend time in camp. Sometimes I get in moods like that.

Eleven hours from NM is a good first day. I wouldnt try and push it by crossing that same day and trying to get south of Mexicali. Too damn long and, at that time of year, you will likely be driving in the dark. No bueno.

I'd stay here the first night:

http://freecampsites.net/#!5668&query=sitedetails

Then cross at Mexicali, early the next day.

I used to stay at a county park in the Calexico area, maybe Heber Dunes, but I'm not sure how legal or safe that is, anymore. Border towns are generally a drag, anyway, as campsites go.

After crossing, you can cruise down to the Gonzaga Bay camps and see if any of them appeal to you for a single night. Others will have to suggest specific places around Gonzaga; I havent been there in several years. If it has no appeal, you should have plenty of time to continue south on Mex 5 that day. It would be a fairly long day but you should be able to make Bahia de Los Angeles that same day, if you want. Very good camping in several areas in BOLA (as it is often abbreviated). Pray that there is no wind, though. But it is a must-see, IMO. Good for probably two nights, IF THE WIND ISNT BLOWING!!!

From there, you could get your first taste of the Pacific side by either driving north from Santa Rosalillita or by driving out to Bahia Asuncion. Given your time constraints, either one would be good for at least two nights, but not both of them.

Lets say you opt for Asuncion. I would, given Shari has given you an invitation and has spelled out how kid friendly it can be. She can also let you know if the whales are "in" anywhere, for when you return north and might be able to book you a trip. Or, you could check on the whales as you pass through Guerrero Negro and see what's up. Anyway, from Asuncion you could head south on the coastal road to La Bocana and Abreojos and then head back to Mex 1. Or just drive back out the way you came in to Asuncion.

I think seeing Bahia Concepcion and Mulege are a must at that time of year. It will likely be your warmest area and you stand a decent chance of avoiding wind. Winds are a part of life in most of the northern 2/3 of Baja in the winter. It's not bad if you are on shore and it isnt blowing over maybe 15 mph. But it can limit water activities. Mulege is a neat little town and the Bahia is beautiful.

After a few days in the Mulege/Concepcion area, you have two options.

#1-If the whales are happening, according to Shari or your stop in GN, leave early and drive to Guerrero Negro and make arrangements to go on a whale trip. I dont know if that is possible your driving day or whether you would have to overnight in GN and do it the next day.

But IF the whales arent happening yet, THERE IS NO REASON TO STAY OVERNIGHT IN GN, IMO. It's a dreary roadstand that is unappealing to the eye.

#2-leave at around noon on your last day in the Mulege area and head to San Ignacio for the night. Spend a half day and night in that area.

From there, you could then see the Santa Rosalillita area on your way back towards Mexicali.

I really see no reason to travel the stretch of Mex I above Mex 5. Nothing outside of Catavina, is that interesting without leaving the main highway and traveling a distance off it. Just return the way you came past Gonzaga Bay (maybe stay a night if you still have time) and then hit the border the following day.

4Cata - 8-27-2015 at 10:27 PM

I totally agree with staying in the northern half. East Cape is nice but Cabo is just an overpriced yuppie mess. If you're in your twenties, fine, but a family, nah! Enjoy the beauty of Baja beaches and it's wonderful folks.

David1975 - 8-28-2015 at 12:39 AM

Wow I'm excited to have found this great wealth of information. Thank you so much for the thoughtful responses so far. I am driving a 4Runner and our camper is a very small tow behind (and I mean small). Thanks for the heads up on the tire repair equipment. My wife and I will spend time pouring over the map and trying to key in on the areas you all mentioned in your responses. We don't have any desire to hit the big resort areas near Cabo. We live in NM for a reason and well you get my point.
I was wondering where campers find drinking water? I assume bottled water in towns. Also about the camping. Is it fairly easy to find spots? From the pictures I've seen it doesn't seem crowded anywhere.
How accurate would a Google Maps drive time be when on the main roads?
Do travelers typically buy Mexico car insurance? Is it worth it?
What are the average temps in the central Baja area in late December? Just ballpark. I'm assuming 50-70s.
Thanks again. This is a very exciting trip to plan. Thanks for helping make it fun.
David

rhintransit - 8-28-2015 at 05:15 AM

Mexican auto insurance is a must.

Three answers

bajaguy - 8-28-2015 at 07:04 AM

I would avoid Hwy 5 below Gonzaga Bay as you will end up carrying your tow behind in a paper grocery bag (my opinion). About 25 miles of dirt road

Water (bottled) can be purchased in (almost) every store/gas station and at water purification plants/stores.

Insurance - No debate here, buy it. Also be sure to include your trailer. Get full coverage to include legal representation.......see the banner (above) from Bajabound insurance....easy to purchase on-line and they offer great service. Geoff at Bajabound is an outstanding guy and will take care of you!!

shari - 8-28-2015 at 07:11 AM

Something to keep in mind is that Mulege is cold that time of year and the ocean is colder than it is on the pacific side for the kids swimming....some folks dont realize that. Because our ocean temps stay up around 70 till march, the air temps are warmer in the winter than the gulf side...honest!

But it is so beautiful to see those beaches on the gulf...it is worth the trip over and camping is pleasant but chilly so bring your fleecies!

Hook - 8-28-2015 at 08:00 AM

Can we ask what your camping trailer SPECIFICALLY is? It's possible that it may not be suitable for the dirt below Gonzaga.

But I tell you, I would rather crawl slowing over that stretch than the alternative of driving Hwy 1 between the TJ and/or Ensenada area and Rancho Chapala.

Ateo - 8-28-2015 at 08:09 AM

I love Bajaguy (his answers were spot on) but I'm with Hook on the trailer. Go slow and and see how that puppy will take the dirt road south of Gonzaga. Then you can pop back out to Hwy1 and find some camping spots. The Catavina area is an epic camp site area.

Yes, most camp spots are empty unless you go to the most popular spots.

David K - 8-28-2015 at 08:35 AM

If you have a 4Runner and it is 4WD, then I imagine your small trailer is built for dirt roads?

If not, as bajaguy warns, just the 23 dirt miles between Gonzaga Bay and Hwy. 1 could rattle it apart if you drive a normal speed instead of über-slow.

Is a 200 mile detour via Ensenada to stay on a paved road necessary to avoid 23 unpaved miles? That is something you will need to decide. Hopefully not, because you can't see much of Baja staying on a paved road!

You must have at least a Mexican auto insurance liability policy, as your U.S. policy is not honored in Mexico. Naturally, a safe way to travel is with full coverage and one that includes legal representation. Your trailer must be included in the policy as well because if not, the policy may be void. Baja Nomad is sponsored by a top insurance agency, BajaBound.com and you can see their add at the top and their owner is a participating member here. Another great group is the Discover Baja Travel Club with discounts all over Baja and the same great auto insurance at a discount, too.

Bottled drinking water is sold at all markets if you run short, and potable water is sold at most population centers to refill your container. Honestly, we get by with a 6 gallon jug for cleaning and cooking, and a couple of flats of drinking water lasts us a couple of weeks... We do buy plenty of local beer and need to add ice after a few days. Cans of Tecate Light, Dos Equis (XX), and Pacifico are our favorites camping.

I am not sure about Google estimates, but what seems to be right on for figuring drive times on paved roads is 50 mph average. A 200 mile drive will take 4 hours in Mexico with photo and taco stops, traffic, military inspections, pee breaks, construction detours. If in a motorhome or towing, drop that to 40 mph. Dirt roads are a different story, but 15-30 mph may be the case. What you should do when you cross the border is lose your watch. 'Mexican time' means it will happen when it happens and not when you want it to happen.

In December, it can be VERY cold in the desert... at night. Days are usually perfect. Remember daylight hours are reduced, so less driving time or daytime fun time in the winter. Arrive at your next destination well before sundown to scope out the place and set up camp.

I suggest you look at some trip report photos to get a feel for what's out there. Every few days you may want to stay in a motel to clean up or anytime to get out of the weather. Target some places in Baja that look interesting to you and check out possible motels to utilize.

Staying in the northern 2/3 of the peninsula may be wise to enjoy the time you have and not spend another day of driving just to get to the cape area (between Loreto and La Paz).

Three 'Nomad oasis' overnight motel locations might include: Baja Cactus Motel in El Rosario (Motel Turista is a back up there); Hotel La Huerta in San Ignacio (a nice motel, reasonable); Bufadora Inn in Bahia Asuncion (Shari's place). For a sample of luxury, Nomad 'Bob & Susan's Playa Frambes Lighthouse Resort on Bahia Concepcion (www.mulege.org).

If you need more data on Baja's historical locations, I am happy to assist as that's been my attraction to Baja for many years. I co-authored the first book to correctly list all the California missions in the order they were founded and not based on a line that was drawn many years after the missions were abandoned. www.oldmissions.com
Old mines, cave paintings and petrograph sites, and fossil beds are fun to see as well! Baja has it all!

TMW - 8-28-2015 at 09:18 AM

If you plan to use the commercial camp grounds a good book is Camping Mexico's Baja by Mike and Terri Church. About $13 on Amazon.

If camping elsewhere make sure you are far off the highway so as not to be seen. Many beaches are open camping. A word of advice when open camping, if others are there and they are families OK. If just some guys I would move on. If you happen to come on a fish camp you can often buy or trade for fresh fish. If you give or trade them a beer, one maybe two beers per person is OK then leave. Sometimes too many beers makes for a bad situation, especially in the middle of nowhere.

Hook - 8-28-2015 at 09:42 AM

Catavina IS an epic area, Ateo, but he would be backtracking north to get to it from Chapala. Not worth it, IMO, and there probably isnt a colder area along Mex 1 in December/Jan. Nights can be in the 20s-30s.

Make sure the trailer specifics include the type of suspension, tire size, tire rating. Also curious about your built-ins in that trailer and the composition of the shell; fiberglass, aluminum, cloth popup?

You have the time to go use some blue thread locker on some of your interior and exterior screws. It's not as effective as it is on nuts and bolts but it does help prevent them from backing out, even if they are only seated in wood.

Also make sure that all nuts/bolts associated with the carriage of the trailer are tight and with a temporary locking compound.

Then, on the dirt section, just stop every .5-1.0 hour and check to see if screws are backing out on the interior and exterior. Tighten em back up and keep moving.

The time spent to do ALL of this is still preferential to driving from TJ/Tecate down on Mex 1, IMO. And that is what you would end up doing. If you arent taking Mex 5 all the way to its end, then it makes no sense to cross at Mexicali. Forget about Mex 3 towards the coast. You climb a mountain range there. No time savings at all. You are better off driving to TJ/Tecate in the States and then driving down, IF you choose not to do Mex 5. Mex 1 also puts you into the area of the most congested driving in all of the peninsula, outside of large cities like La Paz or Cabo San Lucas.

David K - 8-28-2015 at 09:44 AM

Tom reminds me of one of the surprises you might find with Mexican culture... If you set up camp on a public beach and are pretty much alone when a Mexican family arrives to also camp (usually on holidays or weekends... don't be surprised if they pull up right next to your camp rather than give you privacy. It is all innocent on their part, as camping is a social thing to enjoy the time... and that might include blaring music all night long! For us, we usually camp to get away from noise and crowds, so having 4WD and deflated tires allows us to find a quiet beach spot.

wilderone - 8-28-2015 at 10:16 AM

Bahia de Los Angeles is a nice place for a few days. A small museum, restaurants, groceries. Maybe turtle action at Campo Archelon (sp?). Check out Daggetts - they have a shower. Then maybe the back road to San Borja mission. There are nice camping spaces with grills, and a well for water too. Ask caretaker family for a tour to the pictographs. The 5 yr. old might like that too.
As David K. mentioned, the days are short in December, so your driving days will be limited in that respect - I heartily advise not to drive after dark.

bkbend - 8-28-2015 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
...another day of driving just to get to the cape area (between Loreto and La Paz).

Meh. That's the cape area? :?:

That's a day of driving, parens are in the wrong spot, I suspect.

StuckSucks - 8-28-2015 at 02:29 PM

There's been discussion here about the dirt portion of Highway 5 north of Highway 1 - here's a couple shots of what it looks like.

AKgringo - 8-28-2015 at 03:11 PM

I drive that section of road in a Kia Sportage pulling a small, but tough, utility trailer. Your truck will be at home on that road, but the trailer should have large enough tires and clearance to get you through without problems.

By the way, look at the photos that S.S. posted, and imagine sharing the roiad with a semi. It happens!

I recommend that you go that way (trailer permitting) and take it easy for the 23 miles. Lots of great scenery and wide open spaces!

BajaBlanca - 8-28-2015 at 03:18 PM

such good advice to stay in the north for this first visit. With kids you want more beach time and less car time! Take shari up on her Christmas offer - you will be most welcomed and will be immersed in another culture.

David K - 8-28-2015 at 03:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
...another day of driving just to get to the cape area (between Loreto and La Paz).

Meh. That's the cape area? :?:

No, that is the "day of driving" to get to the 'Cape Area'... From Loreto to La Paz is 223 miles of mostly straight desert and ag area driving. 4-5 hours (twice) through a lot of nothing much to see before getting to the next region, may not be in the cards on a limited time Baja trip. San Javier, Comondu, La Purisima may be wiser travel if it is of interest to them, either by direct dirt road from San Javier or go around the long way for all pavement.

StuckSucks - 8-28-2015 at 04:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
and imagine sharing the road with a semi. It happens!

Said truck. What you can't really see is, this guy is grinding SLOWLY up a hill.

David1975 - 8-28-2015 at 05:50 PM

Thanks to all your great advice we are beginning to put together a simple plan. It is early and everything is subject to change but the picture is getting a bit less fuzzy. The camper we are towing is something I've been working on for a few years. Its a fiberglass shell and the tires and clearance are same as my 4Runner. Its our backcountry basecamp for NM and Co. trips and it lives most of its time on hard scrabble dirt roads. This brings up a question... Can I bring propane to Mexico? 1 pound bottles and a 20 pound tank.

TMW - 8-28-2015 at 06:29 PM

I don't think you'll have a problem with the propane. Maybe put it in a place not so easy to see all of it.

If the trailer has a different tire/wheel that the 4 Runner I recommend a spare for it.

Also they don't want you to bring gas, like car gas, into Mexico. Bring your gas can and fill up after crossing.

Check list before crossing:

Get Mexican insurance either on line or at the border.
Get pesos mostly for gas and food and campgrounds etc.

Tell Coco hi from all of us. Have a beer or coke with him and sign guest book. Ask him any question you may have about traveling down there. He has a lot of knowledge of the ins and outs.

MulegeAL - 8-28-2015 at 06:32 PM

Yes on the propane. Often available at water purification shops. The little green one pounders are expensive imports in baja, better to live off the big tanqi propano and have hoses/adaptors.

David1975 - 8-28-2015 at 09:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MulegeAL  
Yes on the propane. Often available at water purification shops. The little green one pounders are expensive imports in baja, better to live off the big tanqi propano and have hoses/adaptors.

I bought a 1 pound tank fill adapter a year or so ago and refill them. I recommend it to anyone using the 1 pound bottles. Adapter was $12.

Ateo - 8-28-2015 at 09:51 PM

A ton of good advice in this thread. Nice work Nomads.

Hwy 5 Caution

bajaguy - 8-29-2015 at 01:15 PM

I didn't see it mentioned here.....

If you travel down Hwy 5 south of San Felipe....BEWARE

There are Vados (washes) that cross the highway and if you hit them at any speed, you will launch your 4 Runner, trailer and everything inside.

Some are marked, and some are not........you have been warned!!!

David K - 8-30-2015 at 07:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
I didn't see it mentioned here.....

If you travel down Hwy 5 south of San Felipe....BEWARE

There are Vados (washes) that cross the highway and if you hit them at any speed, you will launch your 4 Runner, trailer and everything inside.

Some are marked, and some are not........you have been warned!!!

Yes, good call bajaguy! The 74 kilometers starting from the Airport road (at 10 kms. south of the San Felipe entrance street) to the Puertecitos entrance was paved over a 1982 road bed, and not designed for high speed... as it has many vados (dips) that are steep and can launch you or bottom-out your suspension if taken more than 30 mph!

At some point, this section of highway first paved in the 1990s will be replaced with a newer style high-speed road, like what is south of Puertecitos... Until then slow down!

BajaDanD - 8-30-2015 at 11:42 AM

If you have 2 weeks I would say go see Shari in Asuncion If you go Hwy 5 Via San Felipe / Gonzaga you will save time but that dirt road can tear a trailer up unless you go real slow. it eventually drops you off on Hwy 1 if you go through Ensenada/ pacific side you are on Hwy 1 already but have to deal with traffic. I've gone either way many times both have there advantages. In Northern Baja If you want to stop and eat or just check things out, Pacific side. If you want to camp on the beach but not do a whole lot, Sea of Cortez side. Either way you can only drive down the Sea of Cortez side to Gonzaga before the road crosses over and hits Hwy 1 from there its only a few hours to Asuncion.

Whale-ista - 8-30-2015 at 01:37 PM

Thank you to those who have posted Information, esp the photos of the unpaved section. I have not taken this route, and appreciate seeing it before I try it... some day.

AKgringo - 8-30-2015 at 02:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Thank you to those who have posted Information, esp the photos of the unpaved section. I have not taken this route, and appreciate seeing it before I try it... some day.

I recommend sooner. rather than later! Once the last 23 miles are finished, I fear that the truck, bus, R.V., and tourist traffic will change that coast forever.

Edit; It occurs to me that many folks look forward to better access, and more facilities on highway 5, but that is not what I travel to Baja for.

[Edited on 8-30-2015 by AKgringo]

making baja plans

captkw - 8-30-2015 at 03:35 PM

You do know how to make god laugh,right ?? anyway I vote for shooting down the pacific side !! K&T:cool: