BajaNomad

Fridge/Freezer options for Baja

Ken Cooke - 9-26-2015 at 07:31 PM

I'm considering among the top brands for a Fridge/Freezer unit: Smittybilt, WAECO, and ARB. After using a Coleman Extreme ice chest for 10 yrs, it's time for an upgrade. Here's what I am looking at:

Smittybilt: Arctic Fridge-Freezer

Dometic/WAECO: link

ARB: link

My friend 'CG' on this forum swears by the Dometic, and it has Australian tests to prove it's durability in a region similar to Baja's. Problem: NONE of it's accessories are imported into the USA due to licensing issues with Dometic and WAECO.

ARB is the industry standard-bearer. Used both in the outback of Austrailia, HWY 1 from North America to South America, and even in hospitals worldwide! Accessories are widely available...at a price. Problem: Prices for ARB are equal to their reputation.

Smittybilt is the new kid on the block in terms of Fridge/Freezers. Their unit is only 30 lbs, making it the lightest-weight option for my Jeep. It is priced the lowest, and comes bundled with a proprietary dust jacket. Problem: No proprietary tie-downs or slide-out rack like the ARB. Also, there are literally no user reviews on-line to reference. Here are a few videos I pulled from the 'web. Opinions?

Tioloco - 9-26-2015 at 07:33 PM

Ken, check the recent thread history. Was a similar thread a week or two ago.

Ken Cooke - 9-26-2015 at 07:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
Ken, check the recent thread history. Was a similar thread a week or two ago.

I have my purchase planned to one of these three brands. The ARB has longer-term user reviews of the three. I saw one up close at the 4 Wheel Parts Truck Fest along with the Smittybilt. The ARB had heavier construction, and its representative had lots of good stuff to tell me about his unit. Smittybilt didn't have anyone on-hand to talk about the benefits of it's Fridge Freezer. :?:

Tioloco - 9-26-2015 at 08:19 PM

I have the Engel and it is a Cadillac.

David K - 9-26-2015 at 08:22 PM

Too much soda pop Ken! Beer and water is the way to go...

I will be interested in what you discover... I have toyed with the idea of a unit that can run off the car when driving and then propane when camping (or solar during the day?).

4baja (Steve, Camp Gecko) had a Fridge/Freeze or some related-brand that ran on 110v to pre-cool at home, 12v DC while driving, and propane when in camp. Said it would run for days on a small propane bottle like we use for the stove.

Ken Cooke - 9-26-2015 at 08:23 PM

What model and size? What did you pay for it?? How long have you used it, and in retrospect, would you buy the same exact one again?

Tioloco - 9-26-2015 at 08:36 PM

Ken-
Engel MR040. I have had it about 5 years. I leave it plugged in at home most of the time. When camping, it doesn't kill car battery over night. I have a couple of friends that have had them longer than I. One of them got submerged in a river overnight (long story). Dried out and is still working like new. Not cheap $850. It will deep freeze and make ice for your coolers if you desire. I have heard good reports on the ARB too.

landyacht318 - 9-27-2015 at 12:34 AM

I like Units with the BD-35f compressor.
I had an Upright Norcold that has the Sawafuji compressor and it was too loud, and could vibrate my whole Van, and lasted 5 years before failure.

My Friend has an ARB 50 quart model Very well built, Danfoss compressor, 45 watts to 60 watts when the compressor was actively running. Used 14 to 20AH in 24 hours in 75 f Average Ambient temps

Here is a Less expensive model, that uses the DnFoss/Secop BD35f compressor.

No personal experience with it, No idea of the build quality.

http://truckfridge.com/tf51.html

I bought my Vitrifrigo c51is ( front loading fridge) from this guy 3 years ago. Good price, fast and free shipping Via Fedex.

He sells the truckfridge tf51 and responds to Emails quickly.

http://www.westyventures.com/parts.html#cart_restore

Thanks for the heads up on the Smittybuilt. I was not aware of their existence.

Make sure to not obstruct the cooling unit vents on the sides, and if you park with the windows closed, employ window shades as these will have to run nearly continuously at 120F and will consume much more battery power.

propane Fridges are Absorption fridges. they need to be kept level when parked. They use a lot of propane in hot temps, and might not be able to maintain sub40F internal temps. they also take a long time to cool down and a long time to cool down items placed within.

12v compressor fridges cool down very quickly and the items within too. They have no issues maintaining sub40f temperatures.

Expect to require at least 60 watts of Solar in good sunny Baja to run one indefinitely when camped, to run just the fridge. Coastal fog becomes your nemesis if stationary/ no alternator contribution

You can get away with less Solar if you open the lid less and move the solar panel 4 times a day to face into the sun. but if you are running a warm 12 pack through it each day consider 100 to 120 watts.

Do not bother turning it off overnight, unless you are really afraid of being able to start the engine on a single battery system.

It is more efficient to allow it to maintain sub 40F overnight, than it is to make it make it cool from 48F internal to sub40F internal when turned back on.

The Ciggy plugs and receptacles are the biggest issues with these fridges. Voltage drop and intermittent connections will cause improper operation. The shorter the copper circuit and the thicker the copper is to the battery, the better the fridge will run.

With Danfoss/Secop compressors, when there is too much voltage drop, and not enough voltage reaching the compressor controller, the condenser fan will turn on and make you think it is running properly, but the compressor will not turn on.

Look into Anderson Powerpoles for a much better connector. Run 10awg right to battery terminals with 15 amp fuse as close to battery (+) as possible. Bypass the stock vehicle ciggy/12v receptacle, or rewire it with a quality plug if you really really want to keep the ciggy plug.

Ciggy plugs and receptacles insult electricity. They are a Ubiquitous farce. Avoid whenever possible.

chuckie - 9-27-2015 at 06:51 AM

Wasn't this discussed in great detail just recently? Lotsa good info in that thread...

Ken Cooke - 9-27-2015 at 08:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Wasn't this discussed in great detail just recently? Lotsa good info in that thread...

My apologies for not running a search before posting this thread. Also, I have a specific group of fridge/freezers in mind for a Jeep application to better store fruit/veggies/beans/soy milk while away from home. I can't drink sodas, so a standard ice chest doesn't meet my needs. A Fridge/Freezer tested in the Australian outback is what I need for trips to Baja.

Also, it will need to be mounted on the steel rack above my air tank - in an increasingly crowded Jeep.

[Edited on 9-27-2015 by Ken Cooke]

55steve - 9-27-2015 at 08:11 AM

This would be a good question for the folks at Jeepaholics on FB Ken - they have been using various units for many years.

monoloco - 9-27-2015 at 08:44 AM

I can't say enough good things about my Engel, it's been running on either AC or DC for 24 hours a day for almost 7 years. When it's not sitting in the back of my truck it is in the house being used as a freezer. Currently, I have it in the back of the truck filled to capacity with frozen king salmon and black cod that I brought from Alaska and am taking home to Baja Sur, even in the extreme Baja heat it maintains everything right at zero degrees and there is no problem with battery drain overnight even at the coldest setting which makes it run constantly. These things are bullet proof (all steel construction) and their customer service is stellar, when I received mine there was a dent in the cover for the compressor and they immediately mailed me a new cover. Can't go wrong with one of these things.

monoloco - 9-27-2015 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by landyacht318  
I like Units with the BD-35f compressor.
I had an Upright Norcold that has the Sawafuji compressor and it was too loud, and could vibrate my whole Van, and lasted 5 years before failure.

My Friend has an ARB 50 quart model Very well built, Danfoss compressor, 45 watts to 60 watts when the compressor was actively running. Used 14 to 20AH in 24 hours in 75 f Average Ambient temps

Here is a Less expensive model, that uses the DnFoss/Secop BD35f compressor.

No personal experience with it, No idea of the build quality.

http://truckfridge.com/tf51.html

I bought my Vitrifrigo c51is ( front loading fridge) from this guy 3 years ago. Good price, fast and free shipping Via Fedex.

He sells the truckfridge tf51 and responds to Emails quickly.

http://www.westyventures.com/parts.html#cart_restore

Thanks for the heads up on the Smittybuilt. I was not aware of their existence.

Make sure to not obstruct the cooling unit vents on the sides, and if you park with the windows closed, employ window shades as these will have to run nearly continuously at 120F and will consume much more battery power.

propane Fridges are Absorption fridges. they need to be kept level when parked. They use a lot of propane in hot temps, and might not be able to maintain sub40F internal temps. they also take a long time to cool down and a long time to cool down items placed within.

12v compressor fridges cool down very quickly and the items within too. They have no issues maintaining sub40f temperatures.

Expect to require at least 60 watts of Solar in good sunny Baja to run one indefinitely when camped, to run just the fridge. Coastal fog becomes your nemesis if stationary/ no alternator contribution

You can get away with less Solar if you open the lid less and move the solar panel 4 times a day to face into the sun. but if you are running a warm 12 pack through it each day consider 100 to 120 watts.

Do not bother turning it off overnight, unless you are really afraid of being able to start the engine on a single battery system.

It is more efficient to allow it to maintain sub 40F overnight, than it is to make it make it cool from 48F internal to sub40F internal when turned back on.

The Ciggy plugs and receptacles are the biggest issues with these fridges. Voltage drop and intermittent connections will cause improper operation. The shorter the copper circuit and the thicker the copper is to the battery, the better the fridge will run.

With Danfoss/Secop compressors, when there is too much voltage drop, and not enough voltage reaching the compressor controller, the condenser fan will turn on and make you think it is running properly, but the compressor will not turn on.

Look into Anderson Powerpoles for a much better connector. Run 10awg right to battery terminals with 15 amp fuse as close to battery (+) as possible. Bypass the stock vehicle ciggy/12v receptacle, or rewire it with a quality plug if you really really want to keep the ciggy plug.

Ciggy plugs and receptacles insult electricity. They are a Ubiquitous farce. Avoid whenever possible.

I have been using the Engel plugged into the cigarette lighter of my truck for 7 years and have never had one problem. The cables and plugs that come with the unit are super beefy, and also have a small light on the plug which makes it easy to visually check that it is getting power.

[Edited on 9-27-2015 by monoloco]

12.6 Volts

captkw - 9-27-2015 at 09:05 AM

You will get much better results with a "hard wired" system...I use 17 strand tinned "Anchor" wire and fused at the batt......Its a pure power thing !!

chuckie - 9-27-2015 at 09:07 AM

I don't believe it was tested in the Australian outback, so it doesn't qualify.

Tioloco - 9-27-2015 at 09:16 AM

Capt-
How much better result can I expect "hard wired"?
Lol

Ken Cooke - 9-27-2015 at 09:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I don't believe it was tested in the Australian outback, so it doesn't qualify.

I'm looking at the Australian tests as a baseline for what can be quantified for use in Baja. Dust, vibrations, salt air exposure. That Engel sounds like a good one for my needs. How much does it weigh, Monoloco??

Pappy Jon - 9-27-2015 at 09:48 AM

I also use an Engel. I "test drove" a buddy's 40 long ago, and found it was too big for my little 4Runner. So I bought the 30. I have not looked back. Just keep in mind it does use battery in camp, and a solar setup is a grand idea. I made a little 20W setup that works 90% of the time. I have a 40W just in case.

I would consider an ARB too.

Pappy Jon - 9-27-2015 at 10:06 AM

Rereading comments. I have killed my battery over night, and I know several others that have too. And that was not on freeze, but set in the mid 40s. I've seldom been able to freeze anything in mine. At least not in Baja heat.

I always cool it down on 110v in the garage before loading. Items are always pre-cooled in the house fridge before loading. Mine does not cool down that fast.

If you decide to get a thermometer like ARB or Engel sells, stop thinking and don't. There are less expensive ways. I had a fancy wireless unit from Engel, and the wireless unit only survived one trip. I now use a cheep aquarium thermometer. I bought one at Amazon for $7, put a couple of magnets on the back, and it sits in camp on the side of the truck where I can keep track of things.

Over all ... not having to worry about ice is priceless. You can get out into the boonies and just not worry about it.

msteve1014 - 9-27-2015 at 10:28 AM

I have had my ARB for 10 or 11 years, never a problem. Back then the Engel and ARB were the same units. Made by Engel, I believe, and rebadged for ARB.

This is a pretty big investment. I would not try to save $100 on a unit you can't find any information on. You will have it a long time.

Romano - 9-28-2015 at 02:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Too much soda pop Ken! Beer and water is the way to go...

I will be interested in what you discover... I have toyed with the idea of a unit that can run off the car when driving and then propane when camping (or solar during the day?).

4baja (Steve, Camp Gecko) had a Fridge/Freeze or some related-brand that ran on 110v to pre-cool at home, 12v DC while driving, and propane when in camp. Said it would run for days on a small propane bottle like we use for the stove.

Here is the problem with the kind of unit you are talking about. In order to run on propane, it has to be an ammonia absorption unit. Even on electric, it would still use the ammonia and just apply heat to it with current (AC/DC).

Ammonia units don't work above certain level of humidity and ambient temperature. It's just the nature of the beast. They also have be pretty level or you can run into trouble.

Today's compressors (Engel, ARB, FridgeFreeze) use a very small amount of electricity and don't need to be level.

BTW, I have an Engel, and it works very well. Just took it down to Gonzaga and it was HOT HOT HOT, very high humidity and no breeze to speak of. My Engel was running at about 3/4 setting, and kept the beer and food nice and cold. If I had turned it up any further the liquids would have frozen.

I also have a FridgeFreeze, which is built like a tank, but the price being what it is, is not worth the extra money. These are designed for medical transport, and unless you just beat the absolute hell out of your fridge in the bed of your truck, it's just not worth the extra money. Plus Engel has every accessory known to man available for it.

[Edited on 9-28-2015 by Romano]

David K - 9-28-2015 at 05:15 PM

I am interested in this, thanks... So, are you saying there is no more portable propane option fridge/freeze like what 4baja had at Camp Gecko way back in '01?

Electric only... low draw, but still don't ever want to have my car battery go dead like it did with my Koolatron fridge on Shell Island in 1979! It was supposed to space tech cooling with nearly no draw. That was before solar panels that plug into the cig lighter to charge your battery.

Ken Cooke - 9-28-2015 at 08:07 PM

I'm leaning towards the ARB Fridge Freeze. I'll probably run a 2nd wet cell battery, get it wired professionally, and forget about it. Thanks for everyone's input on this! :bounce:

Romano - 9-28-2015 at 09:11 PM

I don't know if there are any or not. What I am saying is that they will not work in hot/humid weather because of the ammonia absorption mechanism.

And things have changed to much since 2001 that you would best be served with a 12/110 unit. There are many ways to ensure that your battery will not die. The simplest is probably a second battery with a automatic or manual disconnect when there is no charge from the vehicle or when the voltage falls below a preset level. Koolatron from 1979? Do you think maybe technology has improved in the meantime?

An Engel fridge, consumes less than a household lightbulb. Another setup would be a small solar panel. Forget the propane. It's a dinosaur.

[Edited on 9-29-2015 by Romano]

chuckie - 9-29-2015 at 05:55 AM

I agree with Romano..The Koolatron was POS even when it was new. New times, new stuff...

woody with a view - 9-29-2015 at 06:55 AM

i was in Baja in August and my 3 way freezer was humming along at 40 degrees ABOVE zero! the ambient was +/- 115.

gnukid - 9-29-2015 at 08:27 AM

I took a yakima rack and installed a solar panel that hangs below the rack height connected to a charge controller that runs a secondary battery bank that can also be charged by the alternator w/ diode and fuse via voltage controlled relay switch that connects when the car is running. I would like to have an engel or similar fridge.

Comments about advantages of AGM and MPPT controllers vs lead acid flooded and PWM controllers is helpful in this regard. There can be issues with charge controllers or/and sinewave inverters causing fan noise and stereo audio noise that be reduced with filters and shunts.

A simple secondary battery connected to the alternator is sufficient for most purposes if you move often.

The battery should be installed in the right spot so gassing doesn't harm you and be secure and flat since baja roads are bumpy.

gnukid - 10-2-2015 at 07:00 AM

Here's a photo of the rack with solar panel, the advantage being you can remove it, lock it, or leave it at camp and there is a ton of power available to the battery bank. We've been experimenting with panels for ice making, fridges and lighting for camping.

IMG_20150823_135030_333 (2).jpg - 49kB

woody with a view - 10-2-2015 at 07:08 AM

nice!!!

Ken Cooke - 10-6-2015 at 08:42 PM

I chose the Dometic CFX 65. I can't wait to load it full of food and tie it down in my Jeep!:bounce:

boe4fun - 10-7-2015 at 10:53 AM

It seems like all of these units are real pricey and are only about 2 cu. ft. What about buying something like an Avanti 3.5 cu. ft. and running it off of a 2000 watt inverter?

msteve1014 - 10-7-2015 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
It seems like all of these units are real pricey and are only about 2 cu. ft. What about buying something like an Avanti 3.5 cu. ft. and running it off of a 2000 watt inverter?

Where would you keep that thing in Ken's Jeep?

woody with a view - 10-7-2015 at 01:13 PM

in the front seat!

:lol:

o3dave - 10-7-2015 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I chose the Dometic CFX 65. I can't wait to load it full of food and tie it down in my Jeep!:bounce:

Its a couple hundred cheaper than the similar sized Engel. Please let us know how it works out, amp draw and noise.

Still deciding. Thanks

Udo - 10-7-2015 at 01:48 PM

Ken, when I run my ARB unit, I generally keep the temperature at 32 degrees. When I park somewhere overnight, I leave it off so no current is being used. The next morning, when I start the FJ, the fridge shows a temperature increase of only two degrees. Not enough to worry about another battery or a very long extension cord.

I'm leaning towards the ARB Fridge Freeze. I'll probably run a 2nd wet cell battery, get it wired professionally, and forget about it. Thanks for everyone's input on this! :bounce:

monoloco - 10-7-2015 at 05:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
If it takes a 2000 watt inverter to run, your battery wouldn't last long.

landyacht318 - 10-8-2015 at 11:14 AM

The Avanti dorm fridge and similar inexpensive dorm fridges care not one whit how efficient it is.

While they will require 80 to perhaps 130 watts when the compressor is running, they need an inverter in the 1200 watt range to handle the considerable start up surge.

The compressor motor might not like a Modified Square wave inverter and run hotter and even less efficient

There is no method to hold the door closed.

An inverter turned on powering nothing, stiull uses battery power.

My Coleman MSW inverter uses 0.72 amps turned on, powering nothing. My 12v Vitrifrigo Fridge rarely uses more than this in an hour.

So the Inverter powering a Dorm fridge might look good on paper, but one need 2 to 3x the battery capacity to power one, and there are reports they do not handle onroad vibrations very well and give up.

But then you also have a large inverter that someone might try and plug their hair drier into to really hammer your battery.

Nice Score on the Dometic fridge. I think they use the Waeco's new Compressor design, which is very similar to the Danfoss Secop.

You might consider running a Dedicated 12v receptacle from your engine battery for it over 10awg wire. Make sure to keep the vents unobstructed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G4RYWF2/ref=s9_hps_bw_g2...

WAECO/DOMETIC CFX-DZ65 just arrived!

Ken Cooke - 10-14-2015 at 08:48 PM

Here's what I bought...

The dual-zone (fridge AND freezer) CFX 65 qt. WAECO/DOMETIC is a monster inside of my Jeep. It fits, but not with much room to spare when placing it inside of my Jeep. I will have to remove the interior rack to make better room for the fridge.

I have to remove the rear window from my new soft top to get the CFX-65 inside of the Jeep. This is going to get old, real fast. For now, I'll remove my beloved AllJProducts rack that I bought specially for my Baja trips back in 2004 in order to make everything fit inside.

David K - 10-14-2015 at 10:36 PM

Cold beer is on you, Ken! See you on Basketball Hill!

PaulW - 10-15-2015 at 04:35 AM

Ken, its probably time to upgrade to a JKUR for adequate room. That Wrangler would be a 4 door

mtgoat666 - 10-15-2015 at 05:05 AM

Here's what I bought...

The dual-zone (fridge AND freezer) CFX 65 qt. WAECO/DOMETIC is a monster inside of my Jeep. It fits, but not with much room to spare when placing it inside of my Jeep. I will have to remove the interior rack to make better room for the fridge.

I have to remove the rear window from my new soft top to get the CFX-65 inside of the Jeep. This is going to get old, real fast. For now, I'll remove my beloved AllJProducts rack that I bought specially for my Baja trips back in 2004 in order to make everything fit inside.

Ken,
Time for you to get a trailer. Or better yet, why don't you buy a real car and get rid of that 2 seat mini car?

chuckie - 10-15-2015 at 06:41 AM

Size would almost seem to offset the benefits...

David K - 10-15-2015 at 07:52 AM

"It's a 'Jeep Thing'!"

chuckie - 10-15-2015 at 08:09 AM

Maybe it's a "I should have measured it" thing....Cant imagine dragging that thing out every time you want a cold Pepsi...

PaulW - 10-15-2015 at 08:22 AM

Jeeps are still appropriate, but they have evolved to a much larger design with at least adequate horse power. The short wheel base versions are no more agile than the longest one they sell. However, the cost of the upgrade and the false view that the little one is better deters many.
It is very difficult to justify the short version now that proper ones are available.

o3dave - 10-15-2015 at 02:45 PM

I went with Ken's advice as he seems to have great judgment in vehicles.

The Dometic 65 is roughly the same size as the ice chest I USED to travel with. So far have only tried it on 110v in the house. I was leaning towards the Engel but bang for buck and with more options with this unit I think it is the best decision.

Next step will be adding a 12v receptacle here at the back end so as to avoid cord madness.

[Edited on 10-15-2015 by o3dave]

[Edited on 10-15-2015 by o3dave]

Lose one rack, gain another...

Ken Cooke - 10-15-2015 at 05:44 PM

The Jeep gets pulled from Baja service with la esposa says it gets pulled from Baja service! :!:

Tioloco - 10-15-2015 at 06:34 PM

PaulW-
The shorter wheelbase Jeeps (2door) are much more agile than their longer counterparts (4door). Their is a time and place for both, but in agility, no comparison. My .02 cents

Tioloco - 10-15-2015 at 06:37 PM

Ken-
I am sure you will figure out the best placement of the refer and never look back. Nice setup

Ken Cooke - 10-15-2015 at 08:12 PM

Ken-
I am sure you will figure out the best placement of the refer and never look back. Nice setup

I plan on talking to a fabricator - a cut-off wheel is all that's needed to take a section out of my interior rack and get the CFX inside of the Jeep without much difficulty. I also have a receiver rack that I can move more interior supplies outside while keeping my gear at a lower center of gravity than it now is with the interior rack in place. I'll keep everyone on Nomads posted as to how I make everything fit.

Romano - 10-18-2015 at 11:41 AM

You should look at something like this. The slide makes the fridge available without having to take it out. Works very nicely.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSS4-Fridge-Slide-suit-Waeco-40-50-...

Ken Cooke - 10-18-2015 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Romano  
You should look at something like this. The slide makes the fridge available without having to take it out. Works very nicely.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSS4-Fridge-Slide-suit-Waeco-40-50-...

That looks great! Thanks for looking this slider up. :bounce: