BajaNomad

Coco speak English?

Phil S - 3-27-2016 at 06:58 AM

Driven past Coco's enough now to ask. Does he speak English?
Reason I have driven past is I don't comprehend espanol. Mia espanol is mucho malo. I've been afraid to ask. I just figured, what with seems "everyone" stops by & visits, are those who speak Spanish fluently, or are of Spanish heritage and it just flows naturally for them. Be going down next October, and would enjoy knowing if he does or doesn't speak English. Thanks responders in advance. Love getting the road condition reports as "you" drive through on occasion. Bought a Yukon XL 4X4 last year especially for driving this road. Now seems like it was a waste of money. Maybe I could go back to driving hwy 1 now without finding anyone on it, as everyone is going this way now that the road is better. My wife HATES driving through the mountains with freight trucks leading the way at 5mph, and my thinking "I've got to pass them now, or I'll never make it to G.N. before dark."

chuckie - 3-27-2016 at 07:14 AM

Perhaps Waukegan, would be a better choice of destinations?

ehall - 3-27-2016 at 07:17 AM

Spanglish. Communication is no problemo. He gets sad and disappointed when cars drive by without stopping. Be sure and sign the guest book.

[Edited on 3-27-2016 by ehall]

mtgoat666 - 3-27-2016 at 07:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Phil S  
Reason I have driven past is I don't comprehend espanol. Mia espanol is mucho malo. I've been afraid to ask. I just figured, what with seems "everyone" stops by & visits, are those who speak Spanish fluently, or are of Spanish heritage and it just flows naturally for them. Be going down next October, and would enjoy knowing if he does or doesn't speak English. Thanks responders in advance. Love getting the road condition reports as "you" drive through on occasion. Bought a Yukon XL 4X4 last year especially for driving this road. Now seems like it was a waste of money. Maybe I could go back to driving hwy 1 now without finding anyone on it, as everyone is going this way now that the road is better. My wife HATES driving through the mountains with freight trucks leading the way at 5mph, and my thinking "I've got to pass them now, or I'll never make it to G.N. before dark."

???

Perhaps you should stick to vacationing at knots berry farm, eh?

DENNIS - 3-27-2016 at 07:45 AM

Like all you critics spik da lingo down here, eh? :light:

chuckie - 3-27-2016 at 07:51 AM

Just offering creative options, Dennis! Happy easter..Hug a Bunny!

4x4abc - 3-27-2016 at 08:48 AM

Coco understands every word of English
he speaks it as well as most of us down here are with Spanish - a little bumpy

if you really want to make him happy - visit when nobody visits
Christmas, Thanksgiving

durrelllrobert - 3-27-2016 at 09:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Just offering creative options, Dennis! Happy easter..Hug a Bunny!

...or Bug a Honey

David K - 3-27-2016 at 09:19 AM

That road hasn't needed 4WD since 1986 when it was graded.
The 50 some miles between San Felipe and Puertecitos is still old style slow highway with many sudden, steep dips (vados).
Coco has been speaking English since before his Corner began in the 90s. He used to be at Cielito Lindo. You can hear him talk in the movie Dust to Glory, too. Enjoy Mexico, Spanish is optional but fun if you try.

mtgoat666 - 3-27-2016 at 09:28 AM

Bought a Yukon XL 4X4 last year especially for driving this road. Now seems like it was a waste of money. Maybe I could go back to driving hwy 1 now

Yukon xl is quite a boat! A bit of overkill for just 2 people, eh? Btw, that road is doable in most any vehicle.
It's still faster to go why 1 if starting from San Diego

David K - 3-27-2016 at 09:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Bought a Yukon XL 4X4 last year especially for driving this road. Now seems like it was a waste of money. Maybe I could go back to driving hwy 1 now

Yukon xl is quite a boat! A bit of overkill for just 2 people, eh? Btw, that road is doable in most any vehicle.

You should try it again, eliminating the drive through Ensenada, mmountain sections, and over a dozen farm towns really makes Hwy. 5 faster for most. But, what's your hurry?

AKgringo - 3-27-2016 at 09:44 AM

I am pretty sure Coco has spent some time in the US. He is competent in conversation, including a lot of slang and jargon.

As an added bonus, when I try my Spanish with him, he politely corrects me so that I don't sound as foolish when I use it in the future.

I am sure that you will enjoy your stop there on your next trip, and hope Coco is there. It is a shame that so far, you have forgone one of the bits of 'color' that make Baja special.

mtgoat666 - 3-27-2016 at 09:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

You should try it again, eliminating the drive through Ensenada, mmountain sections, and over a dozen farm towns really makes Hwy. 5 faster for most. But, what's your hurry?

I like Ensenada. I like the farm towns. I prefer the scenery on the pacific side. Catavina is my favorite stop on the drive south,... a day spent bouldering and exploring at Catavina and surrounding mountains (just west of Catavina) beats anything on the east side.

basautter - 3-27-2016 at 10:18 AM

Yes he does, and he is quite entertaining!

ncampion - 3-27-2016 at 10:51 AM

I too have a Yukon XL Denali and love it for the drive up and back. Lots of room for people and/or stuff. Comfortable and competent. I average 18mpg on the trip and with 405hp it makes passing those trucks a snap.

TMW - 3-27-2016 at 11:09 AM

Coco loves for people to stop and visit. If you would like to take him something, he loves chocolate chip cookies. You could also give him a 12 pack of coke or 7 up or a case of bottled water. I'm not sure but he probably resells them to people stopping by. I usually take him a bag of rice and pinto beans. Another one of his favorites is tomatoes. Chicken soup and menudo too. Most any can food he'll gladly accept.

He sells Pacifico beer, a little pricey but if you take him something he may give it to you.

He also sells T shirts with Cocos Corner on them.

dtbushpilot - 3-27-2016 at 11:14 AM

I always stop for a 500 peso Pacifico...

BigBearRider - 3-27-2016 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I am pretty sure Coco has spent some time in the US. He is competent in conversation, including a lot of slang and jargon.

IIRC, Coco told a friend of mine that he was once pursuing a girl in the SoCal area. When he went to her house, she turned him down. It was a long time ago, as I understand it.

4x4abc - 3-27-2016 at 01:07 PM

Love your headline - you must not be a native English speaker

woody with a view - 3-27-2016 at 01:33 PM

Does he speak English? Ask him for a cold beer. His response will answer your question.

4x4abc - 3-27-2016 at 01:42 PM

Hey Phil, do you have a cold beer for me?

Phil S - 3-28-2016 at 07:43 PM

4x4. I do understand English. BUT. What you just said is sort of foreign to me. I can see you speak English. But how could I get you a cold beer right now up here in the states? Stop by my place in Oregon some time in the summer, and there is always something there. Usually my son's micro brewery called Two Shy Brewing. It's Influence IPA just recently got written up in a trade journal saying, "rated in the top 10 Oregon brews. And they are just 4 years old.
To the others who have responded with "readable" sentences. I thank you for your responses. We will definitely stop by next time.
Regarding the comment regarding the Yukon. It's one hell of a safe car to be in in event of an accident. And the quietest car I've ever owned. I love my wife so much, I spend extra to keep her safe, because I can.

David K - 9-2-2016 at 08:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Coco loves for people to stop and visit. If you would like to take him something, he loves chocolate chip cookies. You could also give him a 12 pack of coke or 7 up or a case of bottled water. I'm not sure but he probably resells them to people stopping by. I usually take him a bag of rice and pinto beans. Another one of his favorites is tomatoes. Chicken soup and menudo too. Most any can food he'll gladly accept.

He sells Pacifico beer, a little pricey but if you take him something he may give it to you.

He also sells T shirts with Cocos Corner on them.

ANY updates on what Coco would like or need since this post by TW? At one time it was reported he appreciated Neosporin, cat food, and fresh fruit.

SFandH - 9-2-2016 at 08:43 AM

If you would like to take him something, he loves chocolate chip cookies. You could also give him a 12 pack of coke.....

Didn't he lose his legs to diabetes? Do him a favor and leave the packaged sugar snacks and flavored sugar water in your car.

[Edited on 9-2-2016 by SFandH]

ehall - 9-2-2016 at 09:18 AM

He loves pepino and its a healthy snack.

TMW - 9-2-2016 at 09:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

If you would like to take him something, he loves chocolate chip cookies. You could also give him a 12 pack of coke.....

Didn't he lose his legs to diabetes? Do him a favor and leave the packaged sugar snacks and flavored sugar water in your car.

No he did not lose his legs to diabetes. He lost one leg in an accident in Ensenada. He was unloading some large pipes and they fell on his leg. His second leg loss was due to poor circulation maybe caused by the accident.

SFandH - 9-2-2016 at 10:08 AM

OK, I was mistaken. Thought I read that on nomad. Still, taking him some nutritious food might be a good idea but probably cookies and coke would be appreciated.

David K - 9-2-2016 at 10:45 AM

That story gets told differently every few years. Who knows for sure? The auto accident seems to be the newer version (perhaps after someone told him, "no more cookies for you!")?

willardguy - 9-2-2016 at 11:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
That story gets told differently every few years. Who knows for sure?

absolutely, depends which day you catch him on. we stopped listening looong ago, thats just coco!:yes:

pacificobob - 9-2-2016 at 12:11 PM

[Edited on 9-2-2016 by pacificobob]

BajaBlanca - 9-2-2016 at 12:52 PM

we have never met him. one of these days we shall have to stop by!

rts551 - 9-2-2016 at 12:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

Be careful. He has been known to ask for panties and bra.

Sweetwater - 9-2-2016 at 02:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

He's even been known to get them.

motoged - 9-2-2016 at 02:28 PM

Hmmmmm....I would offer a few pesos to know what Coco was thinking in that photo....

Wait....I think I figured it out :biggrin:

DENNIS - 9-2-2016 at 03:20 PM

I know for a fact it was a land mine in Nam. He was a special-ops favorite choice and saved a hundred million GI's in a POW raid that cost him his pins.
Yankee Doodle Sgt. Coco.

weebray - 9-2-2016 at 04:06 PM

I too have a Yukon XL Denali and love it for the drive up and back. Lots of room for people and/or stuff. Comfortable and competent. I average 18mpg on the trip and with 405hp it makes passing those trucks a snap.[/rquote]

Everone, including the Pope, lies about their gas mileage.

BigBearRider - 9-2-2016 at 04:15 PM

His name is Henry (or Enrique?) Corrales:

http://www.thecbcfs.org/AboutCoco

David K - 9-2-2016 at 04:24 PM

Interesting article, but there are some factual errors...

Also, Dave & Juanita (Rancho Cielito Lindo) once employed Coco, and when they fired him, he moved from San Quintin.

His 'corner' did not exist until that road between Chapala and Puerto Calamajué was built and about 3-4 years later when the road from Puertecitos to Gonzaga was extended south and created the actual corner, about 1987. The older roads were east and west of that new corner.

durrelllrobert - 9-3-2016 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

..needs to refurbish his dream catcher:

wornout - 9-4-2016 at 09:52 AM

???

Great answer to someone asking a legitimate question 'NOT'.

pacificobob - 9-4-2016 at 01:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wornout  

???

Great answer to someone asking a legitimate question 'NOT'.

i am always disappointed to see snark when a friendly ,helpful reply would be so much more appropriate. the motive for that behavior escapes me.