BajaNomad

Long term living in Baja

Sunshine1 - 6-20-2016 at 02:52 PM

I just found this forum and registered. Can anyone please tell me how to go about finding information for the safe areas to live in Baja Norte, not too far from the CA border, long term, affordable furnished small rentals---house, cabin, cottage, preferably on the Pacific side? I am a retired single. I know nothing about the cities or terrain, but do not prefer to be right on the beach unless necessary. Also have a small dog and like to go for walks. Would like some trees. Any of the websites I have found are sponsored by Property Managements and Vacation rentals, and display large and expensive rentals. I would like to talk to retirees who have already made this move and are happy with their choice. Also the negative. The 2 most important things to me are safety and affordability. Thank you.

willardguy - 6-20-2016 at 03:07 PM

I'd decide where I wanted to live then find the bar that the local gringo's hang out and ask around.
I've also had great luck finding nice furnished places in the $5-600 range using a property manager. in the rosarito area talk to Angie Fernandez ;)

Sunshine1 - 6-20-2016 at 03:18 PM

Thank you so much for the quick response. I looked up Rosarito and I would like to be farther south, away from the touristy Tijuana, Ensenada, etc. Within a couple of hours of the CA border would be great. A more "smaller town feel" without being isolated, but yet close enough to grocery stores, doctors, etc.

Bajahowodd - 6-20-2016 at 03:42 PM

Really ought to check out Ensenada, for a number of reasons. It's a big town, and there are many suburbs surrounding it. So many major stores with NOB connections. Great restaurants and shopping.

Once you go farther South, unless you go go a place like Punta Band, your Southward options are somewhat limited until you get to San Quintin.

But, as I recall, in your original post you wanted something not too far from the border. San Quintin is a few hours South.

bajaguy - 6-20-2016 at 03:54 PM

I agree on Ensenada, we live there

It can be as big or as small as you want. I would suggest checking out the Punta Banda area

Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/puntabanda/

Punta Banda Community newsletter:

puntabandanewsletter-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Sunshine1 - 6-20-2016 at 04:05 PM

Thank you to Bajahowodd and bajaguy. Especially since you live there, this is invaluable information. I am researching!

bajaguy - 6-20-2016 at 04:09 PM

If you have any questions, please send me a u2u (private message)

Quote: Originally posted by Sunshine1  
Thank you to Bajahowodd and bajaguy. Especially since you live there, this is invaluable information. I am researching!

bajagrouper - 6-20-2016 at 04:28 PM

Sunshine1, are you aware of the rules and regulations by the Mexican Gob.to retire and live in Mexico?
Which visa will you apply for?

BajaBlanca - 6-20-2016 at 04:37 PM

We live too far south for me to give advice.

But I wanted to wish you lots of luck on this new adventure moving south.

Sunshine1 - 6-20-2016 at 04:38 PM

bajagrouper, I have no idea about any of the particulars. I am just beginning my inquiries, and was told this is a reputable and helpful website so I thought I would give it a try. I'm sure there will be some difficult parts, but I hope some of you can make me aware of the pitfalls. Another important thing to me is the weather. Can no longer take hard winters. If you never ask, you will never know, so just trying to learn from other's experiences---the good and the bad.

bajaguy - 6-20-2016 at 04:53 PM

Been in Ensenada for 10 years now, and no snow!! I have tire chains, snow brushes and snow shovels for sale

bajagrouper, I have no idea about any of the particulars. I am just beginning my inquiries, and was told this is a reputable and helpful website so I thought I would give it a try. I'm sure there will be some difficult parts, but I hope some of you can make me aware of the pitfalls. Another important thing to me is the weather. Can no longer take hard winters. If you never ask, you will never know, so just trying to learn from other's experiences---the good and the bad.

SteveWil - 6-20-2016 at 04:53 PM

http://www.losogradysinmexico.com/

The Above is a site of a family that moved to mexico about 5 years ago, they are on the main land but the things that they run in to will give some insight into mexico living.

SFandH - 6-20-2016 at 05:46 PM

Hop in your car, stop at the border and get a FMM (a tourist permit, you'll need a passport) and plan on an exploration trip, perhaps a couple of weeks staying at hotels to look around.

Work your way north to south. Options are Playas de Tijuana, Rosarito, La Mision, Bajamar, Ensenada, Punta Banda. There's not much south of Punta Banda until you get to San Quintin which is 4 or 5 hours south of the border.

Do you speak any Spanish?

Ask questions here.

[Edited on 6-21-2016 by SFandH]

rhintransit - 6-20-2016 at 06:21 PM

That family apparently lives in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato. No comparison with ANYWHERE in Baja. I lived for two years there, I've lived for over ten in Baja so i can say, not even apples and oranges. Two different worlds. Completely.

Best advice to anyone thinking about/exploring possible retirement, or otherwise, sites, get I. The car, hop on a bus, or whatever, and take an extended trip of exploration.

Quote: Originally posted by SteveWil  

The Above is a site of a family that moved to mexico about 5 years ago, they are on the main land but the things that they run in to will give some insight into mexico living.

tripledigitken - 6-20-2016 at 06:28 PM

That's soulpatch's family, a longtime poster here. What a handsome family they are.

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
That family apparently lives in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato. No comparison with ANYWHERE in Baja. I lived for two years there, I've lived for over ten in Baja so i can say, not even apples and oranges. Two different worlds. Completely.

Best advice to anyone thinking about/exploring possible retirement, or otherwise, sites, get I. The car, hop on a bus, or whatever, and take an extended trip of exploration.

Ateo - 6-20-2016 at 07:38 PM

I just found this forum and registered. Can anyone please tell me how to go about finding information for the safe areas to live in Baja Norte, not too far from the CA border, long term, affordable furnished small rentals---house, cabin, cottage, preferably on the Pacific side? I am a retired single. I know nothing about the cities or terrain, but do not prefer to be right on the beach unless necessary. Also have a small dog and like to go for walks. Would like some trees. Any of the websites I have found are sponsored by Property Managements and Vacation rentals, and display large and expensive rentals. I would like to talk to retirees who have already made this move and are happy with their choice. Also the negative. The 2 most important things to me are safety and affordability. Thank you.

Where have you been in Baja? I live in America so I can't tell you how it is to live in Baja. You want trees? Not many of those around..........

Eliminating TJ and Rosarito, I would think your only other options are Ensenada and San Quintin if you want to live close to the border. You could try San Felipe if you like it hot.

[Edited on 6-21-2016 by Ateo]

Sunshine1 - 6-20-2016 at 07:43 PM

"Where have you been in Baja? I live in America so I can't tell you how it is to live in Baja. You want trees? Not many of those around..........

Eliminating TJ and Rosarito, I would think your only other options are Ensenada and San Quintin if you want to live close to the border. You could try San Felipe if you like it hot."

I have never been to Baja. That's why I have so many questions.

liknbaja127 - 6-20-2016 at 08:09 PM

Really???

AKgringo - 6-20-2016 at 08:15 PM

Sunshine1, Welcome to the forum, I think you will find lots of information, and opinions here, and that will just generate more questions.

I can't offer you much help, because I usually spend all my time in Baja further south than you are considering, and never in the summer.

I am curious as to what sort of 'winter hell' you are attempting to get away from? A Baja winter is as warm as I want to be, and I would have to escape back north during the summer.

Sunshine1 - 6-20-2016 at 08:29 PM

AKgringo, I'm not sure if I am responding correctly on this forum. If I am not please let me know. Anyway, I live in the PNW. Snow, and 7-8 months of non-stop rain, gray, fog that never lifts, gloomy days. I have read that the Pacific side of Baja has pleasant summers.

AguaDulce - 6-20-2016 at 08:37 PM

Sunshine1 welcome. Sorry but this is a very negative forum. You will get some help and you will get a lot of negative BS

AKgringo - 6-20-2016 at 08:46 PM

Sunshine1, I think your reply's are spot on, and welcome. Quite a few folks find this forum, ask a question or two, and are never heard from again to let us know what they thought of all the information or advice they got.

Getting away from northwest gloom makes sense. I don't mind storms, as long as there are dry sunny days in between. I leave Alaska in the winter these days, but stay in northern CA and buy a season pass at a ski area, so my perspective is warped!

AKgringo - 6-20-2016 at 08:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AguaDulce  
Sunshine1 welcome. Sorry but this is a very negative forum. You will get some help and you will get a lot of negative BS

AugaDulce, did my reply sound negative? If so, I sincerely apologize, I knew that I could not offer much useful info, but I was interested in welcoming a new member, and following the information flow.

Sunshine1 - 6-20-2016 at 09:45 PM

Agua, I have only been on here since this afternoon. I have been welcomed in a good way and have felt every poster had something to offer. I am open to any and all helpful comments/suggestions. As I said earlier, I have never even been to Baja but have some friends who retired and recently built a home in Baja Ascuncion. Watching their home being constructed through many, many photos, which included other things/surroundings I don't think that is the place for me. There are good and bad people everywhere; I choose to go in thinking most people want to share their experience to be helpful.

Ensenada options

Whale-ista - 6-21-2016 at 07:49 AM

Sunshine1-

I agree that Ensenada is worth a serious look, or some of the surrounding towns in that vicinity. I lived in the community of San Miguel many years ago, a few miles north of Ensenada, and enjoyed it on many levels.

The climate in this area is wonderful- warmer inland away from the coast, but rarely extremely hot or cold. The biggest problem has been persistent drought- the water supply can be challenging.

As for the city: It is a historic port with a strong university & research community, and that level of education & commerce brings all the benefits of comparable cities in the US: good economy based on import/export, tourism, cultural/language diversity, arts & entertainment, excellent restaurants and good medical care.

You have CostCo and other big retailers for shopping for familiar products. And that economic diversity/stability means (for the most part) a safe environment for residents. It is an established community- not a tourist town.

Perhaps you could find a small place a short drive away, in San Antonio de los Minas? Or La Mision?

And if you enjoy food & wine, anything near Valle Guadalupe will be an excellent choice. And there are beautiful trees in the hills east of the coastal areas and many places to walk.

As others suggest: find time to travel there, visit and stay in some of the AirBnB places, talk to the locals and learn what they like/dislike about living there.

Good hunting & enjoy the research!

(edited to add weather/safety comments)

[Edited on 6-21-2016 by Whale-ista]

SlyOnce - 6-21-2016 at 08:21 AM

Don't overlook Playas de Tijuana, I live there, on a hillside overlooking the beach. Its a beautiful and peaceful location. About 1/2 mile to the sea. Basically at KM 0, so close to the border you can see it. Rent is $US 350/month. The advantage of living here is that there is lots to do, if you like festivals, entertainment, education, art, music, food, you will like it here. Weather is more mild than further south.

pacificobob - 6-21-2016 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AguaDulce  

that is quite accurate

rts551 - 6-21-2016 at 08:52 AM

"Where have you been in Baja? I live in America so I can't tell you how it is to live in Baja. You want trees? Not many of those around..........

Eliminating TJ and Rosarito, I would think your only other options are Ensenada and San Quintin if you want to live close to the border. You could try San Felipe if you like it hot."

I have never been to Baja. That's why I have so many questions.

Baja California is in America as well. What you will find is each answer to you question is prejudiced by the experiences of the poster. especially if they live there. Most people that live in Ensenada, live there for a reason,....They like it. May I suggest, since you have never been outside the USA, is you take a couple of vacations to Baja first...Then ask your questions about living there. There are many facebook pages that focus on a particular area/city. Best of luck!

mtgoat666 - 6-21-2016 at 09:33 AM

To the OP:
You are evaluating living in baja but have never visited baja?
Whatever.

If you find the PNW gloomy, try Spokane. Its less gloomy, a pretty nice city, relatively inexpensive, and close to many great natural areas.

SteveWil - 6-21-2016 at 10:39 AM

I think you have a good list of towns to start with from above, plan a month long visit to a couple of them, you can find short term rental or stay at a mexico hotel or B&B. Even if you do not decide to move to Baja I think you will find it a trip you will remember and smile.

The site I posted as I said is mostly main land and Baja is different but Mexico is Mexico, and a lot of things she talks about are true for both. (I am thinking the people.)

Good luck on your search.

pauldavidmena - 6-21-2016 at 10:43 AM

I'm with you as far as hard winters go. Here's a photo from February 2015 here in New England.

Udo - 6-21-2016 at 10:59 AM

Most hotels will give a a long term rate that is about ˝ the going daily rate.

I think you have a good list of towns to start with from above, plan a month long visit to a couple of them, you can find short term rental or stay at a mexico hotel or B&B. Even if you do not decide to move to Baja I think you will find it a trip you will remember and smile.

The site I posted as I said is mostly main land and Baja is different but Mexico is Mexico, and a lot of things she talks about are true for both. (I am thinking the people.)

Good luck on your search.

WhackAMolE - 6-21-2016 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SlyOnce  
Don't overlook Playas de Tijuana, I live there, on a hillside overlooking the beach. Its a beautiful and peaceful location. About 1/2 mile to the sea. Basically at KM 0, so close to the border you can see it. Rent is $US 350/month. The advantage of living here is that there is lots to do, if you like festivals, entertainment, education, art, music, food, you will like it here. Weather is more mild than further south.

Hi, can you please say more about how you found your place? I live in Ensenada and I agree with others that it's a great spot for safety and a pleasant lifestyle. I'd like to move closer to the border and looked at Playas but the rents seemed a lot higher than that.

Sunshine1 - 6-21-2016 at 01:17 PM

How do I respond to posters on the forum so they show? Doesn't U2U do directly to a particular poster and not show up on the forum? I am technically challenged.

rts551 - 6-21-2016 at 01:20 PM

How do I respond to posters on the forum so they show? Doesn't U2U do directly to a particular poster and not show up on the forum? I am technically challenged.

If you hit the quote button, as I just did, you respond so everyone can see. U2U is for private/secret :lol: communications.

rts551 - 6-21-2016 at 01:22 PM

Take your time...I have seen many the buy and then want to sell a year later (some at a loss) ...It was not what they envisioned.

Sunshine1 - 6-21-2016 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

If you hit the quote button, as I just did, you respond so everyone can see. U2U is for private/secret :lol: communications.

Sunshine1 - 6-21-2016 at 01:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Ok. Just did. Thank you.

Udo - 6-21-2016 at 01:35 PM

Click on the
Quote:
button at the upper right of the poster's post.

Sunshine1 - 6-21-2016 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Click on the
Quote:
button at the upper right of the poster's post.

Thank you!

Sunshine1 - 6-21-2016 at 01:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
To the OP:
You are evaluating living in baja but have never visited baja?
Whatever.

If you find the PNW gloomy, try Spokane. Its less gloomy, a pretty nice city, relatively inexpensive, and close to many great natural areas.

Whatever? It is my choice to check it out. I am choosing Baja for my own reasons. Spokane winters are too long and harsh for me.

willardguy - 6-21-2016 at 02:47 PM

sounding more and more like others have suggested, punta banda may be be a good fit! :yes:
check out Irka's site. http://bajarealestateandrentals.com/long-term-rentals/

Sunshine1 - 6-21-2016 at 02:55 PM

Just want to say thank you to all the posters who have given me so much information and leads. You have given me so many ideas and places to check out in planning my trip down, which will probably be mid-July. I'm a firm believer in research first, before you get into an area you don't know, and the responses so far have been friendly and helpful, more than you know.

Bajahowodd - 6-21-2016 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Sunshine1-

I agree that Ensenada is worth a serious look, or some of the surrounding towns in that vicinity. I lived in the community of San Miguel many years ago, a few miles north of Ensenada, and enjoyed it on many levels.

The climate in this area is wonderful- warmer inland away from the coast, but rarely extremely hot or cold. The biggest problem has been persistent drought- the water supply can be challenging.

As for the city: It is a historic port with a strong university & research community, and that level of education & commerce brings all the benefits of comparable cities in the US: good economy based on import/export, tourism, cultural/language diversity, arts & entertainment, excellent restaurants and good medical care.

You have CostCo and other big retailers for shopping for familiar products. And that economic diversity/stability means (for the most part) a safe environment for residents. It is an established community- not a tourist town.

Perhaps you could find a small place a short drive away, in San Antonio de los Minas? Or La Mision?

And if you enjoy food & wine, anything near Valle Guadalupe will be an excellent choice. And there are beautiful trees in the hills east of the coastal areas and many places to walk.

As others suggest: find time to travel there, visit and stay in some of the AirBnB places, talk to the locals and learn what they like/dislike about living there.

Definitely this!

Sunshine1 - 6-22-2016 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Sunshine1-

Definitely this!

"The climate in this area is wonderful- warmer inland away from the coast, but rarely extremely hot or cold. The biggest problem has been persistent drought- the water supply can be challenging."

So what do you do for water?

" And there are beautiful trees in the hills east of the coastal areas and many places to walk."

I LOVE the trees and hills; not living on the beach. I have my small dog, and we do morning and evening walks, which is a very necessary and fulfilling for both of us. (my dog is my child/best friend.) Are the cities mentioned above located in that kind of terrain? That would be heaven for us. I still cannot find a good map online that shows much. I would definitely have to have a furnished little place; no apartment or condo. Also, are landlords down there pet friendly? Thank you.

wessongroup - 6-22-2016 at 06:16 PM

IF someone hasn't suggested in this thread "renting" ... Would offer renting for a year to evaluate and investigate various locations and find one which fits what you are looking for ... rent is relatively inexpensive, IF one looks around

fishbuck - 6-22-2016 at 07:28 PM

This is what I did.

Got layed off from my job. Played beach bum in Newport Beach for about year and then decided to take a road trip with a very loose itenerary.
Basically a baja route 66 type trip. I brought camping gear but had a $20/night motel budget so never had to camp.
I ended up being on that trip for about 4 months.
The purpose? Soul searching and scouting for the future location of my beach camp.
I saw a lot and did a lot.
It changed my life and I'll never be the same.
I looked everywhere and finally found my spot at the end of the trip when I was on my way home.
You'll know it when you see it.

Sunshine1 - 6-22-2016 at 07:46 PM

wessongroup: Many have, and that is exactly what I would do.

fishbuck: Age, abilities and resources has everything have everything to do with everything. You sound happy, and I am happy for you.

"You'll know it when you see it." Brilliant, and so true in life.

Thank you both.

rhintransit - 6-22-2016 at 08:00 PM

go for it. the first time I visited Mexico (from the PNW) I ended up staying a year. be prepared to try out options, and stay longer than you plan :).
trees? dunno. maybe. I'm on the Sea of Cortez in Loreto, not too many here, and too far south for you.
have always wondered about Ejido Eréndira, may be too far south for your parameters, 100 km south of Ensendada, if not, perhaps worth a look.

Bajahowodd - 6-24-2016 at 04:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Sunshine1-

Definitely this!

"The climate in this area is wonderful- warmer inland away from the coast, but rarely extremely hot or cold. The biggest problem has been persistent drought- the water supply can be challenging."

So what do you do for water?

" And there are beautiful trees in the hills east of the coastal areas and many places to walk."

I LOVE the trees and hills; not living on the beach. I have my small dog, and we do morning and evening walks, which is a very necessary and fulfilling for both of us. (my dog is my child/best friend.) Are the cities mentioned above located in that kind of terrain? That would be heaven for us. I still cannot find a good map online that shows much. I would definitely have to have a furnished little place; no apartment or condo. Also, are landlords down there pet friendly? Thank you.

There are tons of homes up in the hills overlooking the city. You need to find an agent.

Sunshine1 - 6-24-2016 at 04:59 PM

Can you suggest an agent that is not only interested in selling you land or renting their high priced rentals?

In a post above, I mentioned friends that have built it Baja Asuncion. They gave me their realtor's name; I called her. She was not helpful in the least, unless I wanted to buy property or get into vacation rentals. I am not looking for either one. I want long-term at a reasonable rate. Thanks in advance.

willardguy - 6-24-2016 at 05:05 PM

Can you suggest an agent that is not only interested in selling you land or renting their high priced rentals?

In a post above, I mentioned friends that have built it Baja Asuncion. They gave me their realtor's name; I called her. She was not helpful in the least, unless I wanted to buy property or get into vacation rentals. I am not looking for either one. I want long-term at a reasonable rate. Thanks in advance.

did you try......http://bajarealestateandrentals.com/long-term-rentals/

bajaguy - 6-24-2016 at 05:07 PM

Contact Irka and explain what you want. she may be able to help

http://bajarealestateandrentals.com/contact-an-agent/

Sunshine1 - 6-24-2016 at 05:09 PM

bajaguy---Muchas gracias.

TomasGS - 6-25-2016 at 08:19 PM

http://www.marazulensenada.com/english/index.php

Just came back from a great weekend stay at Marazul in Punta Banda Ensenada.
The manager is Architect Carlos Zepeda, I think he can offer you several good options.
I hope you find what you are looking for.

gschroder - 6-26-2016 at 01:51 PM

Hi Sunshine! Check your U2U inbox.

Sunshine1 - 6-26-2016 at 02:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gschroder  

Hi Sunshine! Check your U2U inbox.

Hola!! I'm in the same boat, camel, youtube etc.!!

BugdudeAZ - 12-17-2016 at 04:21 PM

Curious as to some practical information:

Costs/prices of taxes, gasoline, groceries, utilities inc. wifi access, auto repair; ...

or potential of crime or harassment, general local's disposition toward American's?

BugdudeAZ - 12-19-2016 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BugdudeAZ  
Curious as to some practical information:

Costs/prices of taxes, gasoline, groceries, utilities inc. wifi access, auto repair; ...

or potential of crime or harassment, general local's disposition toward American's?

... yea, that's pretty much what I figured.

unbob - 12-20-2016 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
go for it. the first time I visited Mexico (from the PNW) I ended up staying a year
How do you stay for a year when FMM is only valid for 6 months?

I'd like to stay longer than 6 mo myself - but how without returning NOB and then re-entering Mexico? I'm near La Paz so returning to border would be a major hassle and expense.

PaulW - 12-20-2016 at 03:09 PM

When you get to La Paz with a current FMM go to INM and apply for either a temporary or permanent residency status.
No problem that is what we all do. You have 6 months to process the documents and get the ID card.

BajaUtah - 12-20-2016 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
When you get to La Paz with a current FMM go to INM and apply for either a temporary or permanent residency status.
No problem that is what we all do. You have 6 months to process the documents and get the ID card.

That process now has to start at your local Mexican Consulate. La Paz won't start that process - they can finish it but not start it.

PaulW - 12-20-2016 at 05:24 PM

We got our PR in San Felipe and did not need to go to the consulate.
Maybe we need a La Paz person with the experience?
Maybe it was because we converted from FM to PR?

WhackAMolE - 12-20-2016 at 07:42 PM

Can anyone please tell me how to go about finding information for the safe areas to live in Baja Norte, not too far from the CA border ...

First, how far is "not too far" from the border? I've been living in Ensenada for four years now. I'm an hour and 45 minutes from the border, plus whatever the wait at the border is that day. (That's a big subject by itself, which I can sum up as follows: the border wait sucks). On average I can be in downtown San Diego in three hours on a good day.

If you want to be closer, the choices are TJ and Rosarito.

I feel very safe where I live. I've had some property crime but I had property crime when I lived in a nice neighborhood in northern California too. There's no cartel activity to speak of in Ensenada, whereas TJ is cartel central and some of that spills down to Rosarito. It's very orderly and peaceful where I live.

Check the TJ Craigslist for more leads. https://tijuana.craigslist.com.mx/

A lot of Americans live exactly as you want to down here. If you live close enough to make a couple of research trips down here that's the best way to go. Get the feel of the place, narrow down a few areas you're interested in.

[Edited on 12-21-2016 by WhackAMolE]

BajaUtah - 12-20-2016 at 09:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

Maybe it was because we converted from FM to PR?

That is correct. Starting the process without prior FMx status is what requires the Consulate visit.