BajaNomad

Baja 1000 GPS files

StuckSucks - 10-21-2016 at 10:13 AM

Now released: http://score-international.com/raceinfo/gps-files-baja-1000/

BigBearRider - 10-21-2016 at 10:26 AM

An interesting loop. One of the most northwestern 1000 maps that I can recall seeing.

David K - 10-21-2016 at 10:54 AM

Please post when you have a Google Earth overlay. The latest Score map is such low quality I don't want to even bother trying view it.

TMW - 10-21-2016 at 11:25 AM

I like the course. The far south route I have not been on for a very long time and some areas I've never been on so I'm think of running it from RM265 to RM465.

StuckSucks - 10-21-2016 at 11:47 AM

Here's the 1000 course embedded in Google Maps

rts551 - 10-21-2016 at 11:56 AM

Already a change in the course. new maps available later today

StuckSucks - 10-21-2016 at 12:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Already a change in the course. new maps available later today

Yes, they're going to remove the up-Summit part of the course (probably a good idea). I will change this map as SCORE releases changes.

rts551 - 10-21-2016 at 12:26 PM

For those that wish to view the course in Google Earth, it is simple. On the SCORE web site click on the KML file. Tell the response you want to open it with Google Earth. Or Save the file. and open it with Google Earth. Either way, very simple.

[Edited on 10-21-2016 by rts551]

rts551 - 10-21-2016 at 12:29 PM

One observaion....HWY 1 will be very congested with chase vehicles. Almost makes me not want to go.

David K - 10-21-2016 at 12:36 PM

Thank you, Ralph, that was very helpful of you.

PaulW - 10-21-2016 at 04:48 PM

What a joke Race on the highway at 60MPH just because someone said the summit was hard. FYI, the summit is easier than ever before due to the new road that Bypasses all the hard stuff on the N side.

Bajaboy - 10-21-2016 at 09:39 PM

Thanks, think we're going to set up same place as last year! Looking forward to getting dusty!

willardguy - 10-22-2016 at 09:21 AM

:bounce:....I can't wait! that means 45 days till DAKAR!!!!!!

TMW - 10-22-2016 at 11:21 AM

Last June 2015 we drove over the summit east to west and it was a piece of cake and we were all in basically stock vehicles with a lift except Roy in his Rover, it was all stock.

PaulW - 10-22-2016 at 03:14 PM

Tom, From the sound of the problems they had I suspect they were using the old SCORE track. As you know that is the two tracks on the left as they were going up. They probably were not even aware of the new road that bypasses all the washouts. To late to change they rerouted.
All because the marking guys that had never driven the summit since the new road was built.

StuckSucks - 10-22-2016 at 04:40 PM

Merely FYI, I overlaid the two different courses on top of each other - you can see the the faded old loop on the north. It will be interesting to see the difference in mileages.

David K - 10-22-2016 at 04:53 PM

Thanks Paul.

PaulW - 10-23-2016 at 10:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Merely FYI, I overlaid the two different courses on top of each other - you can see the the faded old loop on the north. It will be interesting to see the difference in mileages.

[img]http://pizzamanagement.com
======
Thanks for the two track overlays
Just curious I cannot get the SCORE LV4 USR file to open. Do you know what it is about?

I want to drive the summit in my latest baja rig. V Trinidad up & over and to the bottom to Arroyo Saiz and back. I will be available to do it on the 30th or later. Send me a U2U and we can get together.
PW

David K - 10-23-2016 at 10:18 AM

So Hwy. 3 from the Mike's Sky Rancho junction to San Matias Pass will have TWO-WAY race traffic (plus the public) now, that someone thought the Summit is too difficult for the race machines!

There is another road over the mountain between Valle Trinidad and Rancho Arroyo Grande, as I recall?

mtgoat666 - 10-23-2016 at 10:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
So Hwy. 3 from the Mike's Sky Rancho junction to San Matias Pass will have TWO-WAY race traffic (plus the public) now, that someone thought the Summit is too difficult for the race machines!

There is another road over the mountain between Valle Trinidad and Rancho Arroyo Grande, as I recall?

More opportunities to kill spectators and general public!
What is the average number of deaths per Baja 1000?

David K - 10-23-2016 at 10:50 AM

Race traffic has a speed limit (GPS monitored), that is under what many drive Mexican highways at. It will just be busy, like Ensenada in the afternoon. If people decide to line the racecourse with their bodies, instead of staying a safe distance back, then it is their poor decision-making.

beachbum1A - 11-13-2016 at 10:01 PM

I had "heard" that the race was starting/ending at Ojos Negos as an added safety measure but cannot find anything posted regarding this. Anything to it?

bajaguy - 11-13-2016 at 11:02 PM

http://www.elvigia.net/general/2016/11/13/saldria-baja-enfre...

Quote: Originally posted by beachbum1A  
I had "heard" that the race was starting/ending at Ojos Negos as an added safety measure but cannot find anything posted regarding this. Anything to it?

beachbum1A - 11-14-2016 at 07:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

OK. So as I interpret the translation from the article dated November 13th, it says that if the City does not provide the additional 450 personnel for security, the race will have to start in Ojos Negros. So more or less that decision is still pending - yes?

bajaguy - 11-14-2016 at 07:45 AM

Yup. I believe the Municipality is waiting to see if the race promoters will pay for the additional security. If not, the start goes to Ojos Negros

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

OK. So as I interpret the translation from the article dated November 13th, it says that if the City does not provide the additional 450 personnel for security, the race will have to start in Ojos Negros. So more or less that decision is still pending - yes?

StuckSucks - 11-15-2016 at 06:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

Thanks for the two track overlays
Just curious I cannot get the SCORE LV4 USR file to open. Do you know what it is about?

I want to drive the summit in my latest baja rig. V Trinidad up & over and to the bottom to Arroyo Saiz and back. I will be available to do it on the 30th or later. Send me a U2U and we can get together.
PW

The LV4 is for newer Lowrances, the LV2 is for older ones. If you experiencing problems with the LV4 version, I'd try the other (and I'll bet it will work for you).

I load the LV2 version into all COPS cars/trucks - they have all generations of Lowrance GPSs and they all handle that file just fine.

PaulW - 11-15-2016 at 08:12 PM

No clue when LV4 first arrived.
More home work - got it all sorted out
Old (LV2) = Global map & up thru HDS Gen1 & HDS Gen 2 with SW version 2.5 or less.
New (LV4) = HDS Gen2 with SW above v2.5, and all HDS Gen 3.

My new HDS Gen 2 7m with SW v2.5 works great with LV2 Its an impressive unit, but I sure miss my GM 7200C which went with the Bronco when I sold it.
Looks like RN bit the bullet and bought the license for LV4? Had to do it because GEN 3 is the only thing available now days.
New lesson learned - Never get rid of your old units. Newer is not always better.