BajaNomad

Full gas cans into mexico?

chivatojoe - 1-6-2017 at 01:08 PM

I know in the past it was advised not to bring full gas cans into Mexico. I have always bought a empty and filled it at first stop. Some times I forgot and had a full one in the back of the pickup and no one has ever asked one way or the other. Now with the current situation I was thinking of bringing several cans full before I cross at Mexicali so I can make it to Mulege. Doesn't seem to be a problem with resupply down that way . So anyone have any first hand knowledge of being able to travel with surplus?

David K - 1-6-2017 at 01:18 PM

Please tell us how it works out for you.
Just what is your plan if they turn you back with all the full cans?

ljprusko - 1-6-2017 at 01:48 PM

Although each port of entry is different, I'm sure you can't bring extra fuel into Mexico no matter where you cross. I keep a boat in Rocky Point, and fuel is expensive in Rocky Point. I cross into Mexico via the San Luis port of entry, and have 6-8 five-gallon fuel containers in the back of my truck, in order to buy fuel in San Luis, Mexico (versus Rocky Point which is expensive). As soon as I cross the border they usually see my gas containers and always pull me into secondary to make sure they're empty. They will not let you cross into Mexico via the San Luis port of entry with extra fuel.

sancho - 1-6-2017 at 02:04 PM

A few yrs. ago, I would take 5 gal. for a short trip so. to avoid
Mex gas, it was buried under camping equip.
Was a guy with 25 gal of diesel turned back at TJ, had no place
to get rid of it, had to cancel the trip

David K - 1-6-2017 at 04:09 PM

For several years now, Mexican gasoline has been superior to what is sold in California. It is pure gasoline and not diluted with corn (ethanol). Mileage will be about 10% or more, saving you money and less burning of fuel. Ethanol is not good in gasoline engines... just tolerable.

Years ago (the 70s and before), Mexican regular gas was very low in octane. The gas was called NOVA (for awhile, as NO VA translates as "Doesn't go") and required octane booster or retarding the timing to prevent pinging and dieseling (which is damaging to the engine.

Maderita - 1-6-2017 at 06:11 PM

Don't even think about trying it. There is little benefit, even if you succeed in breaking the law and smuggling gas into Mexico. And what a hassle it would be when they turn you back with your full gas cans.

Even Tecate, which tends to be more relaxed on the rules, always asks about my 6 gallon orange water can. It occasionally gets the sniff test, even after I tell them it is water. I've had to do some serious pleading to allow a 1 gallon can of chainsaw pre-mix.

Mexican Customs (Aduana) is increasingly serious about enforcement in recent years, per my observations.

[Edited on 1-7-2017 by Maderita]

Hook - 1-6-2017 at 07:10 PM

I'm wondering if anyone with those in-bed fuel tanks with the pump and nozzle are being stopped and checked.

Gasoline and diesel are about a dollar more per gallon in Mexico, as opposed to prices in AZ. Only about .50 cents more than CA gas prices.

chivatojoe - 1-6-2017 at 10:28 PM

Thanks for the views. Like I first stated I do know the rules but with the potential of no gas available it comes down to go or don't go and I'd like to get down to my house. Of course there is always the bicycle now that the roads will be clear of vehicular traffic.. Just trying to work the angles and once I make it down I'll have to have enough to get back... still have time commitments so can't do the ho hum manana thing. I have assembled 8 six gallons motocross dump cans so if I do find gas I can store up. I was just hoping that there would be some consideration for the current crisis that perhaps would allow for some logical thinking and forgo the possibility of being stranded......

ehall - 1-7-2017 at 04:57 AM

Try it. Just be prepared to give it away if they stop you. We had to give away half a 55 gal drum of race gas because they wouldn't let us go north at tj.

PaulW - 1-7-2017 at 06:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I'm wondering if anyone with those in-bed fuel tanks with the pump and nozzle are being stopped and checked.
===== ===
no issue. Son has a 100 gal in the bed and I have a 30 gal. With all the inspections I have gone thru - never a question about the in bed tanks.

mjs - 1-7-2017 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

I was stopped and asked if my bed tank was full. It was and I told them so. However, I do not have a pump on mine as it is only an aux diesel tank for the truck. After explaining this I was allowed to proceed. Don't know how it would have worked out if there was a pump or if it was gasoline.

YMMV (pun intended)

David K - 1-7-2017 at 10:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Try it. Just be prepared to give it away if they stop you. We had to give away half a 55 gal drum of race gas because they wouldn't let us go north at tj.

North??? Who was "they"?

ehall - 1-7-2017 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

North??? Who was "they"?

US customs. Said we needed to get a fuel permit. It was midnight and we had to drive to az. Didn't argue much. Gave the drum to a guy on the street.

hermosok123 - 1-7-2017 at 06:11 PM

If you are headed through Gonzaga there was gas and diesel there yesterday per Gono Frenandez at Papas so I wouldn't sweat it.

hermosok123 - 1-7-2017 at 06:14 PM

Just for clarification the fuel was at the Pemex across from Rancho Grande not at Papas.

Bubba - 1-8-2017 at 05:52 AM

You may want to check DOT's regulations on transporting gas anywhere, not just into Mexico.

Spearo - 1-8-2017 at 06:23 PM

I was hassled at San Luis last year for a full 5 gal jerry in the back of the Tacoma. My truck tank was full and I had nowhere to put it. I requested to speak with el jefe and he rolled his eyes and told me to go.

Just bring them empty and fill up at the first Pemex. No ethanol and the price difference is nothing.

JZ - 1-8-2017 at 07:52 PM

They have checked my cans more than once to see if they were full.

AKgringo - 1-8-2017 at 08:13 PM

Knowing what the rules were, I headed for the border with a brand new gas can, intending to fill it at my first Mexico fill up.

After passing through Blyth without topping off, I realized that I wasn't going to make it to Brawley or El Centro with the gas on board. No problem, there is a place called Glamis on that route, so I got a couple of gallons there for only $6.50 per gallon!

Next time I will be traveling the open road with extra fuel on board, and dump it in my tank before I cross the border!

JZ - 1-8-2017 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  
You may want to check DOT's regulations on transporting gas anywhere, not just into Mexico.

Holy potatoes at this guy, smh.

Perceburzr - 1-8-2017 at 10:05 PM

We were crossing at Mexicali about 3 months ago with four 5 gallon cans full of gas, they would not let us bring gas in to Mexico. Had to go back through secondary on the US side , then had to find someone to take the gas. Do Not Try It , unless you want to spend a lot of extra time at the border.

aguachico - 1-8-2017 at 11:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Perceburzr  
We were crossing at Mexicali about 3 months ago with four 5 gallon cans full of gas, they would not let us bring gas in to Mexico. Had to go back through secondary on the US side , then had to find someone to take the gas. Do Not Try It , unless you want to spend a lot of extra time at the border.

Exactly, depending on the aduana. You can get sent back or pay duties on the gas.
With the current situation, expect to pay duties.

chivatojoe - 1-8-2017 at 11:19 PM

So here's the problem.. In the past I have taken them in empty and got 5 gallons just to be on the safe side for the run from San Felipe to Jesus Maria. Was at Rancho Grande one time and had to pay $20.00 just to get someone out of the house just so I could buy fuel..once but not twice. So the rub now is with the current situation stations if they are open and if they have fuel and if I have to wait 1.5 hours in line the attendants will not fill cans only directly into vehicles. So now I'm thinking of filling tank drive out and then siphon to my cans and then get back to that station or another if I have the choice and fill up my tank again. Seems the gas problem is just up this northern end and down south where the fuel comes from La Paz and I think as far as Santa Rosalia there doesn't appear to be a problem as reported from friends in those areas..This is really going to hurt LOTS of local (Mexicans ) getting kids to school, driving to work, fueling outboard motors for many fisherman ,food shopping, water deliveries .propane and is very serious!! I will keep you posted on my travel decisions and outcome...

David K - 1-9-2017 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chivatojoe  
So here's the problem.. In the past I have taken them in empty and got 5 gallons just to be on the safe side for the run from San Felipe to Jesus Maria. Was at Rancho Grande one time and had to pay $20.00 just to get someone out of the house just so I could buy fuel..once but not twice. So the rub now is with the current situation stations if they are open and if they have fuel and if I have to wait 1.5 hours in line the attendants will not fill cans only directly into vehicles. So now I'm thinking of filling tank drive out and then siphon to my cans and then get back to that station or another if I have the choice and fill up my tank again. Seems the gas problem is just up this northern end and down south where the fuel comes from La Paz and I think as far as Santa Rosalia there doesn't appear to be a problem as reported from friends in those areas..This is really going to hurt LOTS of local (Mexicans ) getting kids to school, driving to work, fueling outboard motors for many fisherman ,food shopping, water deliveries .propane and is very serious!! I will keep you posted on my travel decisions and outcome...

This is all totally different from all my trips to Gonzaga or for filling my empty can. What house did you go to, to tip the attendant to pump gas? They were closed for siesta (2-4) in the past, but Alfonsina's sold the Pemex station at Gonzaga and now another is running it. Why not get gas at the L.A. Bay junction (two independent vendors usually there) it would be less than the $20 extra for their markup. You should be able to do San Felipe to Jesus Maria. I can do San Felipe to Vizcaino, as that is well under 300 miles.

As for filling my empty jerry can, never questioned... I put it on the ground, next to my truck (never fill a can in the truck, due to spark potential). I filled mine last week of 2016 at San Felipe south station.

Perceburzr - 1-9-2017 at 10:28 AM

Just got back from San Felipe last Saturday. No Problems getting gas or diesel,also no problems getting gas cans filled up, price of gas and diesel did go up. Water delivery price also went up due to the gas price increase.

chivatojoe - 1-9-2017 at 01:05 PM

OK David to answer you directly. I too have never had a problem in the PAST getting cans filled. However this post is during a time in Baja when protesters are hijacking tankers and borders are being closed. I even had a friend in San Felipie try the other day to buy some extra fuel in cans so upon my arrival I could use them to re fuel in the event the stations were out .(as of this morning they were)He was told that fueling was to be done in vehicles only. As far as Rancho Grande the people were in the house /store attached to the station . I had skipped San Felipe knowing that a station was at Ranch Grande and didn't have the reserves to make it to LA bay ( fuel "sometimes there" ) or Jesus Maria. Never knew about the 2-4 siesta and wanted to get thru the dirt 23 before dark. So as of today I'm sitting in raining /overcast So Cal waiting to hear if gas will be available tomorrow. I'll report back ... and yes this isn't my first time driving Baja... Since 1973..

David K - 1-9-2017 at 02:27 PM

OK David to answer you directly. I too have never had a problem in the PAST getting cans filled. However this post is during a time in Baja when protesters are hijacking tankers and borders are being closed. I even had a friend in San Felipie try the other day to buy some extra fuel in cans so upon my arrival I could use them to re fuel in the event the stations were out .(as of this morning they were)He was told that fueling was to be done in vehicles only. As far as Rancho Grande the people were in the house /store attached to the station . I had skipped San Felipe knowing that a station was at Ranch Grande and didn't have the reserves to make it to LA bay ( fuel "sometimes there" ) or Jesus Maria. Never knew about the 2-4 siesta and wanted to get thru the dirt 23 before dark. So as of today I'm sitting in raining /overcast So Cal waiting to hear if gas will be available tomorrow. I'll report back ... and yes this isn't my first time driving Baja... Since 1973..

Gotcha, well for sure during a fuel emergency when cars are lined up to get gas for themselves, I can imagine a reluctant attendant to give extra gas to a vacationing gringo with his can over his neighbors who need fuel for their work. This is a rare event, and something new as of Jan. 3.

The store at Rancho Grande is not attached or even on the same side of the highway as the station... unless you mean legally attached? They do have their own private pump and have sold when the Pemex was closed.

I apologize for my nit-pickiness for details, I just want to get the facts right so we can help travelers best here. Thank you for your input!!!

bajaguy - 1-9-2017 at 02:30 PM

Where in Baja are the trucks getting hijacked??

chivatojoe - 1-9-2017 at 03:25 PM

The Hijackings I believe were on the west side TJ area.. The news said they gave back the full ones as they were afraid of accidentally blowing one up but keep two empty ones for ???
Also protesters took over toll booths and where letting car pass for free.
Just got word from my Airport controller friend from San Felipe who took the bus to Mexicali that his taxi driver's boss just radioed him and said no more gas is available in Mexicali . Also reported my friends boss from San Felipe is taking the bus tomorrow and there is now no fuel in San Felipe. Two friends stopped by here at my office in the states and said they just heard a US news report that the border was closed... Thinking TJ again..
Be nice to get some news from some Nomads on the ground in those areas to verify the stories?

salttram - 1-9-2017 at 03:27 PM

I always cross at Tecate with two 4-gallon Rotopax on my roof rack, wrapped in tarps with the rest of the gear. They are flat, and don't stick up over the sides of the rack.

I bring them in empty, but there has never been a time they checked my roof rack. In fact, I've never had the contents of my roof rack checked by any military checkpoint, or even US Customs in secondary (which I seem to get directed to every other time.

I used to bring them in full, but now wouldn't risk it. And I agree with David, Pemex Premium is better than anything you can get up here at a normal gas station in the States.

Coming up from Los Burros two weeks ago: