BajaNomad

Baja Cactus Motel - El Rosario

MexicoTed - 2-9-2005 at 02:43 PM

I guess I'm starting this new forum off. I stayed at Antonio's Baja Cactus Motel in Dec. 2004 and loved it. Highly recommended. The rooms were very clean, new, large king-size beds, and incredible bathrooms. Friendly staff. Slept like a baby!
Ted

Cyndarouh - 2-9-2005 at 02:56 PM

Great to hear how nice Baja Cactus is. Well be there the 24th can't wait. Thanks Ted

We stayed there on 2/10/05...

Mexray - 2-17-2005 at 12:11 AM

in room 103, one of the new one's in the back...everything's new, large comfortable beds, TV, and 'walk-in' showers (lots of hot water) with heavy glass doors.

#103 is back in the corner, and is very quiet, we couldn't even hear the semi's on the highway.

This was our 2nd stay, and we'll go back again...

David K - 2-17-2005 at 12:38 AM

I just finished IM'ing with Antonio (11:30pm) He was at an Internet Cafe in Ensenada on his way to El Rosario with his dad. Tomorrow morning, the Baja California state tourism department is presenting them with an award for 'Outstanding Host' or something like that!!!

Well deserved I must say! Congratulations Antonio 'BajaCactus'!

Thanks!!!

BajaCactus - 2-21-2005 at 12:04 AM

Thank you very much guys for your nice and kind words.

It is our pleasure to share what is the beginning of a dream with you all... my father's dream.

You see, the main reason for these new rooms to exists, as they are, is not actually business or money... they are the result of my father's dream to have something to be proud of... to be able to offer something really nice and comfortable for people traveling to Baja... and it is very nice you guys help him fullfill this reason to be... everytime he listens to one of your nice comments, his face glows like saying...I made it!!!...:D.... THANK YOU!!!

After 30 years of hard work, my father is finally seeing one of his dreams come true...and another one of those is coming... my wife is having a baby girl (our first child) in a couple of weeks now!!!... and since my dad and mom lost the first baby they had (a girl, and she was born dead more than 30 years ago), and never had a girl again in their lifes... they have always had this hole in their heart... it seems God is about to fill this space for them again thru us.

Thanks again averyone for your comments... you are most welcome.

And you are quite right Mexray...room 103 is like a tumb... very, very silent.

Antonio M.

:)

[Edited on 2-21-2005 by BajaCactus]

David K - 2-21-2005 at 09:16 AM

Wow Antonio, the is really very special... Your heart and kindness is the best I've ever seen! Good luck with all that you do....
EL ROSARIO AREA and Antonio: http://vivabaja.com/1104

Cyndarouh - 2-21-2005 at 09:24 AM

Antonio, Great story you again have warmed my heart. Your Family is so Wonderful. Can't wait to see the new Baby Girl. Hugs to you and Lorenia.

tim40 - 2-21-2005 at 05:41 PM

Wonderful news and a very touching family story. Any name to share yet?

Baja Cactus Motel

MexicoTed - 2-24-2005 at 04:10 PM

Antonio:

Congrats on your new child (whenever she arrives!). Also, your hotel is certainly one of the most deserving of the award, a job well done. You and your father should be proud and hopefully other establisments will follow your business method!
Ted

Baja Cactus Hotel

Cyndarouh - 3-4-2005 at 08:28 AM

Antonio and Family, We want to Thank you for the wonderful stay at your Hotel. I and my husband slept like baby's in the new room. Your staff was so kind and just wonderful to us. Thank You, Cyndarouh;):saint:;):saint:

bajaruby - 3-4-2005 at 01:52 PM

:yes:glad to hear you had a good time and got back home safe and sound. i sure do envy you, living so close to the border, but wouldn't give up my home here. so i guess i just have to be happy with the drive.

MICHELEBG - 5-24-2006 at 08:35 PM

Stayed there twice - on my way down to La Paz & on the way back. Beautiful rooms!!! Comfortable beds. Awesome

yellowklr - 7-21-2006 at 03:11 PM

I'll be staying there Aug 16, I cant wait to see the place!!

shari - 7-21-2006 at 06:16 PM

Mucho Felizidades to the Baja Cactus amigos....we rarely stay in hotels but we did last week and the muchacha who attended to us was wonderful...this is by far the best service I have ever had at any hotel in Baja and we will recommend it to everyone. Excellent service is so rare here and the rooms as everyone mentioned are terrific. Bravo!

bajamigo - 7-23-2006 at 11:08 AM

Wow! Sounds like it's worth a trip to El Rosario just to stay at the hotel, which we'll do. Anything to get out of Punta Banda (Newport Beach South) in summer!

Antonio, congratulations to your father on the realization of his dream, and to you and your esposa on the fulfilment of yours.

Paulina - 7-23-2006 at 12:25 PM

"Wow!...Anything to get out of Punta Banda (Newport Beach South) in summer!"

Where I am now, or Punta Banda....I'd rather be in Punta Banda right now, but curious as to why you compair it to Newport Beach South?

[Edited on 23-7-2006 by Paulina]

bajamigo - 7-23-2006 at 04:12 PM

You know, wall-to-wall SUV's (anything smaller than an Expedition need not apply); having nothing to do with the indigenas; creating more garbage in a weekend than a local family generates in a month; not respecting the beach; etc., etc. Nice picture, Paulina, but do you have any close-ups of Punta Estero in summer? Yes, it is and hopefully always will be a beautiful place, but in summer it takes a lot of abuse. Granted, to people in less blessed places, I probably come across as one whale of a whiner. Guess that comes from loving the place a lot.

[Edited on 7-23-2006 by bajamigo]

[Edited on 7-23-2006 by bajamigo]

bajabound2005 - 7-23-2006 at 06:11 PM

Bajamigo, let me help you out....people trying to create gated communities where no one is welcome and look like no one actually lives there, til the weekend when they try to get 16 people into a house that can handle....oh, 4 comfortably??? And they come in what looks like 1 person per SUV (not car, SUV). Oh, but this thread is about the Baja Cactus Motel -- we look forward to staying there on our next visit to El Rosario.

cat127 - 7-23-2006 at 07:29 PM

DId I miss the web address or is there one? Maybe I am jsut cross eyed from researching all afternoon........

-Cat

bajabound2005 - 7-23-2006 at 08:51 PM

not sure there is one but there is an email -- google "baja cactus el rosario"

David K - 7-25-2006 at 12:30 AM

It is tooooo easy! WWW.BAJACACTUS.COM

Catalina - 8-13-2006 at 03:59 PM

I would highly recommend Bajacactus hotel. We have been staying there on our way to BOLA for three year's. THank's Antonio for a comfortable place.

Catalina - 8-14-2006 at 07:49 AM

We stayed @ Bajacactus hotel the last two year's and it was very nice and clean. Headed back down in a couple week's and will be staying overnite again.
Thx Antonio for providing a nice hotel.
Catalina

Slowmad - 1-4-2007 at 03:58 PM

Finally stayed at BC.
Broke up our drive home perfectly.
Rooms as described: deluxe.
HUGE family (8? 10?) above us screamed and pounded us awake at 4 AM and the patron of that family stood outside our window and took a long leak.
Nothing the great management could have done about that.
I'd suggest a four person max though.
Next time I'll get an upstairs room.
Great value at 40 pesos.
Bedspreads had suspect stains and some of the lights didn't work.
This is nitpicking.
The room far exceeded our expectations.
We'll recommend it to our friends.

zforbes - 1-4-2007 at 04:17 PM

My son and I stayed at Baja Cactus last October when we drove down to Asuncion. I was touched and honored that Antonio took the time to introduce us to a new-to-us place to eat (Hugo's place, I don't remember the formal name) and ate dinner with us. This was just before the Baja Cactus Festival, so I know Antonio was busy, busy, busy. I felt like an honored guest, and I'll definitely go back.

David K - 1-4-2007 at 04:49 PM

Hugo Lopez's little restaurant and 'art gallery' is Tacos Mision... use my map (#36)...

The motel office is staffed 24 hours and a call to report that kind of disturbance would have been quite expected!

Antonio doesn't want that kind of reputation for Baja Cactus after all the hard work and expenses invested...

[Edited on 1-4-2007 by David K]

El Rosario 12-05-RR.JPG - 49kB

Slowmad - 1-4-2007 at 05:44 PM

Lencho, easy, big guy...
Make that 400.

Slowmad - 1-4-2007 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Hugo Lopez's little restaurant and 'art gallery' is Tacos Mision... use my map (#36)...

The motel office is staffed 24 hours and a call to report that kind of disturbance would have been quite expected!

Antonio doesn't want that kind of reputation for Baja Cactus after all the hard work and expenses invested...

[img]http://vivabaja.com/705/mailedD42.jpg[/im

[Edited on 1-4-2007 by David K]

Once that upstairs cacophony went off, we were awake for keeps and packing.
Again, nothing they could have done at that point and certainly no reflection on the excellent management.
Could have happened anywhere.

oxxo - 1-4-2007 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowmad
Make that 400.

We stayed at Baja Cactus Motel on 12/20/06 and 1/2/07. The price was exactly 350 pesos for two people and one king size bed.

The place is everything people have said it is - comfortable beds, lots of hot water, very clean, friendly staff, american style bathrooms, televisions, and complimentary bottled water (I have paid as much as $3USD for bottled water in other motels in Mexico). This place is well run and we give it 5 stars for a small Mexican motel.

I'll add my ditto

vgabndo - 1-5-2007 at 11:31 PM

We were in 204 the night before last. I did report to the management though that we left the floor wet. The table by the window had one leg...in the middle...and four braces that did not reach the floor. When I stepped on one of the braces (they are really intended to be legs) the table lurched about 30 degrees and both cups of Espinosa's aweful coffee saturated me from the knees down. Fortunately the coffee was just as hot as it was rich and flavorful!

B C is a great value, and offers un-heard-of amenities for a Baja motel at that price. Losing three bucks worth of ten cent coffee will not keep me from going back if I have the need. Mama Espinosa's, on the other hand, after dinner there the night before, has seen the last of us. YUK.

David K - 1-6-2007 at 10:23 AM

Go to 'Baja's Best' (#38) for coffee (Starbucks logo on building) as well as good breakfast and dinners... Ed makes great lobster and is cheaper than Mama Espinoza's!

La Bocana Beach Restaurant (#27) was really good for all meals except last time we stayed in town, Primo had a different cook and we didn't like it as much.

Even closer to Baja Cactus is Betty's (#13) with good coffee and great machaca con huevos.

Antonio's gas station sells coffee in the morning, by the way... Also, the office has coffee... but since Antonio added those coffee makers to each room, they may have stopped?

[Edited on 1-6-2007 by David K]

Rosario-06-RR.JPG - 49kB