BajaNomad

San Pedro Mártir and Meling Ranch

GypsyJan - 1-28-2017 at 07:15 PM

KPBS TV San Diego just showed a repeat of their excellent travelogue: http://www.pbs.org/video/2335200650/

AKgringo - 1-28-2017 at 08:40 PM

Thanks for posting! I have never been to either of those places, and did not realize the scope of the observatory.

David K - 1-29-2017 at 10:12 AM

Thanks Jan. It has been 16 years since I was last up there, and need to get back.

surfhat - 1-29-2017 at 12:46 PM

Yesterday's Crossing South with Jorge Miraz was illuminating and it is on a Baja bucket list.

This is the third best viewing site on the planet, wow, and it is in our backyard. We are fortunate to have this site.

The Meling Ranch got a deserved great review. This sounds like the place to stay, if the lodge at the top is not available.

Jorge had the privilege of staying at the astronomers lodge. I wonder if that is available for any others who wish to see all that they see?

Having an interpreter/guide is invaluable. Thanks Jorge. I never miss your show, whether they are reports or not. The charm with which you conduct yourself, always captures my heart strings. Thanks to all here.

surfhat - 1-29-2017 at 12:48 PM

I meant to say, whether they are repeat showings or not. They are always worthwhile, whether they are repeats or not.

David K - 1-29-2017 at 02:31 PM

The Hispanic Huell Howser of Baja California!

High altitude

AKgringo - 1-29-2017 at 02:50 PM

Quote; "The Meling Ranch got a deserved great review. This sounds like the place to stay, if the lodge at the top is not available"

The map I have shows Meling ranch at 2100 feet elevation. Anyone with impaired respiratory or cardio function would be well advised to overnight at low elevation, particularly if they are accustomed to living near sea level.

At over 9000 feet, the observatory is at a level that may cause problems for some people.

Edited by the dept. of redundancy dept.

[Edited on 1-30-2017 by AKgringo]

David K - 1-29-2017 at 03:02 PM

The history of the Meling Guest Ranch (Rancho San José) is very interesting and far more detailed than Christian Meling had time to describe on the show.

To learn more about the Meling and Johnson family history in Baja California, this book is a must read...

bajamary1952 - 1-29-2017 at 04:21 PM

Someone told me you need a 4x4 to get to the Observatory. I visited the Ranch a couple of years ago and was not impressed with it.

Barry A. - 1-29-2017 at 04:58 PM

The Meling Ranch IS what it is---------a working ranch. If you ever get the chance to stay there, I suspect you will find it is a unique and wonderful experience. I have, many times.

PaulW - 1-29-2017 at 05:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamary1952  
Someone told me you need a 4x4 to get to the Observatory. I visited the Ranch a couple of years ago and was not impressed with it.

====== ===
Now days the road is paved all the way. Only heavy snow would be an issue. Check the web cam and see what the road looks like or check the weather report.

The Meling ranch is a Time Capsule Treasure

GypsyJan - 1-29-2017 at 05:50 PM

A working ranch that has gracefully accommodated adventurous travelers of all descriptions and experience (or lack of) over the years.

The last time I was there, at breakfast in the dining room, I met a couple who had flown in from Dusseldorf, rented a compact Subaru in San Diego, headed for Meling, navigated the rocky dirt road, waded the river that was somewhat swollen by spring runoff and were planning to drive all the way to Cabo San Lucas.

I hope they made it.

[Edited on 1-30-2017 by GypsyJan]

Don't bad mouth Meling

thebajarunner - 1-29-2017 at 05:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamary1952  

Great people
Great food
Great hospitality
Comfy, if Spartan conditions
Maybe you should stick to the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Beach
For me, I will take Meling and good vibes and good memories

bajabuddha - 1-29-2017 at 06:05 PM

Love "Spartan"........ reminds me of the bunkhouses at Rancho Sta. Inez in Cataviña. Stayed there one rainy night in August 2003, had a room with 3 beds in it all to myself, and like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, one was too soft, one was too hard, and one was...... just right...... :coolup:

StuckSucks - 1-29-2017 at 07:07 PM

Great to see the show. Funny, because after spectating the Baja 1000 with Coco in 2006, we stopped at the observatory and Meling on the way home. We arrived at the observatory just before sunset.

El Diablo Peak

Looking east across Laguna El Diablo toward San Felipe

Meling. And btw, the breakfast at Meling was off the charts - everything was grown on the ranch, the oranges for the juice, the eggs, the bacon, etc. - the food was awesome x20!

ElCap - 1-29-2017 at 08:22 PM

We drove up to the National Park on last month on Dec. 28th, intending to tent camp there - but there was about three feet of snow on the ground. Luckily they had one cabana available ($37) which seemed like a great deal, even though we had to haul our gear about 100 yards through the snow. It had electricity and lights, a kitchen counter w/sink, gas stove, a wood burning stove and firewood, bathroom and shower, bedroom with bunkbeds. We couldn't believe our luck! But hey this is Mexico . . there was no hot water, the stove didn't work, the fireplace flue went sideways through n open whole in the wall and the pipe on outside had fallen off into the snowbank (resulting in a room full of smoke), and the power was shut off right after the sun went down. It still beat camping in the snow, which we were not prepared to do.

David K - 1-29-2017 at 08:28 PM

Where was that cabin, ElCap?

Great photos StuckSucks... That straight dirt road from Hwy. 3 at the foot of Borrego Mountain to the top of the dry lake points right at the observatory. It is fun to look up 8,000 feet and see the white building from down there at 1,000 feet.

Bajaboy - 1-29-2017 at 08:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
The Meling Ranch IS what it is---------a working ranch. If you ever get the chance to stay there, I suspect you will find it is a unique and wonderful experience. I have, many times.

We were thinking about visiting...unfortunately they charge in dollars. We can stay in a beautiful room at Mission Hotel down the hill for just under $40 or pay close to $90 for a room at Meling. I'm okay forking over the money but have issues with companies that tie their prices to the US dollar.

ehall - 1-30-2017 at 10:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

We were thinking about visiting...unfortunately they charge in dollars. We can stay in a beautiful room at Mission Hotel down the hill for just under $40 or pay close to $90 for a room at Meling. I'm okay forking over the money but have issues with companies that tie their prices to the US dollar.

Did the room at Meling come with a dinner and a breakfast? I thought the place was great and the family was very gracious.

David K - 1-30-2017 at 10:25 AM

Historically, it is American Plan, which means meals included... or it used to!

TMW - 1-30-2017 at 10:40 AM

From their website it appears the meals are separate from the room cost. I've never stayed there and only been there once or twice to see the rock paintings.

http://www.ranchomeling.com/

Mikes Sky Ranch breakfast and dinner come with the room and the last time I stayed there was a couple of years ago and it was $70/night per person. You can get the meal without the room. I think breakfast was $8 and dinner was $15. Similar to Meling.

StuckSucks - 1-30-2017 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Great photos StuckSucks... That straight dirt road from Hwy. 3 at the foot of Borrego Mountain to the top of the dry lake points right at the observatory.

Ahhh ... thanks for the correction - I was shooting north. Google:

willardguy - 1-30-2017 at 11:05 AM

I was up there early november with the baja(range)rover expedition and if you're riding or hiking its a cool deal and yes the staff are top shelf!:coolup:

Mehling ranch

Mikey47 - 12-2-2018 at 08:47 PM

Absolutly comes with great dinner and breakfast. In my 12 years coming down it is one of me favorites. Historical gem.

caj13 - 12-2-2018 at 08:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
I was up there early november with the baja(range)rover expedition and if you're riding or hiking its a cool deal and yes the staff are top shelf!:coolup:

what is this "range Rover Expedition you speak of. I've got an ex MOD 110, and an 87 RRC looking for adventure right now!

Trouble is, most of the rover people I run into are a bit to high class (snooty) for my tastes, but then again, i'm sure I'm not living up to their expectations as well!

willardguy - 12-2-2018 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

what is this "range Rover Expedition you speak of. I've got an ex MOD 110, and an 87 RRC looking for adventure right now!

Trouble is, most of the rover people I run into are a bit to high class (snooty) for my tastes, but then again, i'm sure I'm not living up to their expectations as well!

this group has ridiculously deep pockets, my buddy has parked the Defender since the MB 500G joined the quiver:rolleyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZCwEI2CU0E

DanO - 12-2-2018 at 10:27 PM

The last time my wife ever tent camped with me was a trip to the San Pedro Martir in late October, 1996. Road still sucked then. Got a bad flat on the way in. We camped at the meadows and had the place to ourselves. It went down into the 20's overnight, our water froze. Thawed it with the truck heater, put the coffee on the campstove and went for my morning constitutional, which was interrupted by a curious steer. After breakfast, we took the wounded tire to the observatory auto shop. The mechanics there gave it a valiant try, but for naught. I gave them a six pack of beer for their efforts. We walked up to and around the observatory and hiked all around the area. Amazing, beautiful place.