BajaNomad

Believe it or not! roadrunner sighting June 18

BajaBlanca - 2-19-2017 at 07:03 PM

Well, we have been adopted. A roadrunner simply decided to adopt us -at first it slept on the porch on top of one of my high plants and then it decided that our garage was more comfy and here he? she? is on top of the cooler:

I have named the roadrunner Junior as our dog Rex has to be senior in this household. Here it is surveying its new territory which it coos on the roof here at the house and the B&B to claim. It absolutely cares not one hoot that Rex barks at it, it runs circles around Rex LOL We are trying to get Rex to leave it alone, but he is a springer spaniel and his gut says "let me just get ahold of you!!"

Now, normally Junior wakes up at 9 or 9:30, spreads his wings in the sun while still inside the garage and then slowly makes his way out......at 6ish, it comes back and gets in his spot and there he stays all night.

Today, things changed a bit: we saw him coming in during the day with a twig in his mouth. Either he is building his girlie a nest or she is building herself a nest. I am not sure this is such a good idea in our garage ....

We have never fed it since there are plenty of insects all around. If anyone here knows about these creatures, pray tell us what you know. I read a bit online, and learned that they coo to mark territory but that is the extent of my knowledge on this most curious creature that we are enchanted with!

[Edited on 2-25-2017 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 2-27-2017 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 2-28-2017 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 3-1-2017 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 3-2-2017 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 4-15-2017 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 6-20-2017 by BajaBlanca]

Howard - 2-19-2017 at 07:24 PM

Here is what I know about Roadrunners. I hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1LV6Fsd2HM

(Sorry, I just couldn't help myself)

ehall - 2-19-2017 at 08:43 PM

Nesting behavior. You haven't seen 2 around? We had some nest at work and watched them raise 3 babies. It was great to watch.

BajaBlanca - 2-19-2017 at 08:57 PM

THREE BABIES ???

we have only seen junior and no mate.

beepbeep!

KaceyJ - 2-19-2017 at 09:02 PM

try feeding it/them a little carne molido if there is a dearth of lizards or other baby birds around

Hook - 2-19-2017 at 09:18 PM

I would think a correcamino would be an asset around the house. Good hunters of larger bugs and small reptiles. They will, probably, kill the young of other birds, though. They are also one of the only known predators of the tarantula hawk wasp or pepsis wasp.

fishbuck - 2-20-2017 at 01:26 AM

All I know about roadrunners is they gotta watch out for this guy...

Meany - 2-20-2017 at 08:38 AM

They like little balls of Hamburger meat....

watizname - 2-20-2017 at 09:07 AM

We had some in Havasu that would wait at the sliding glass door to be fed. They became almost tame, and came in the house if the screen was left open. Like meany says, little balls of burger. I think they are good snake birds too.

Udo - 2-20-2017 at 09:22 AM

That is really cool!

A pet roadrunner!!!

elfbrewery - 2-20-2017 at 11:39 AM

Yup, as far as birds go, a house wren flew into the glass door and laid on the step for a few seconds, but as soon as we weren't looking... beep! beep! It was gone -- as dinner.

BajaBlanca - 2-20-2017 at 03:00 PM

So no dangers with diseases with roadrunners? My mom had a mite infestation at her house when she removed a bird nest from her porch.

Gives me the eebie jeebies just to think of mites in the house!

I don't think we shall feed Junior because I am really happy that he /she is eating all the insects, not a roach around for months now!

BajaBill74 - 2-20-2017 at 03:12 PM

I think this is one of the most enjoyable threads out there.

I'd almost just drive down to meet Beep-Beep.

Can we get daily "Beep" reports? Please.

Bajazly - 2-20-2017 at 03:48 PM

They are definitely one of the coolest birds in the desert, I love seeing them but it is kind of rare and usually only get a glimpse of them. A couple months ago one was wandering around our beach camp and made himself quite visible for a while, very cool watching him hunt.

motoged - 2-20-2017 at 05:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

......Gives me the eebie jeebies just to think of mites in the house!

Blanco,
Then you don't want to know about dust mites and your mattress...
:o :wow:

BajaBlanca - 2-20-2017 at 09:36 PM

:o

say what???? hahaha I can deal with dust mites.

Junior did not add to his nest today, he was gone all day. He did coo (and sounds like a dove) all morning and then went off.

Here is the beginning of his/her nest. One twig on the right and another on the left.

BajaBill74 - 2-21-2017 at 10:47 AM

Thanks for the update on Beep. Say "Hello" for me.

Howard - 2-21-2017 at 11:25 AM

https://forum.americanexpedition.us/roadrunner-information-f...

BajaBlanca - 2-21-2017 at 09:06 PM

Howard - thanks so much....as each day goes by we become more and more attached to this bird although I am still ambivalent about a nest in the garage....

It is very skittish and I try to stay away when I know it is around - Les swears it is used to him already since he is in and out of the garage for tools all day long.

We only see one bird. And in the 11 years we have lived here, this is maybe the 2nd or 3rd bird I have ever seen. It is really amazing how they blend into the desert.

It is a lot of work to coo and declare this house his territory:

Here he is with a twig in his mouth:

Howard - 2-21-2017 at 10:11 PM

"It is a lot of work to coo and declare this house his territory"

So Les's cooing is getting better? Good for him! :biggrin:

[

[Edited on 2-22-2017 by Howard]

BajaBlanca - 2-22-2017 at 07:09 AM

:biggrin:

rts551 - 2-22-2017 at 07:43 AM

Keep it around, Blanca. We have 2 around our house in Arizona and they make good additions to the pet animal communitiy

BajaBlanca - 2-22-2017 at 07:42 PM

and today I saw the possible new missus! I was at a friends house and a smaller yet truly beautiful roadrunner was running about.

No camera and no photos but I bet she is our contender.

rhintransit - 2-23-2017 at 09:18 AM

You are so fortunate. A number of years ago I had a pair living somewhere near me. One or the other or both would come by daily for treats...raw bacon cut in small strips. Then one day the visits started about every half hour, with frantic beak taps on the kitchen window, so I knew the eggs must have hatched. Sure enough, in about three weeks...after lots of bacon...mom brought three nervous little ones into the yard. The chicks wouldn't approach but mom, or dad, would, and she/he would take the food back and drop it into the demanding throats.
Enjoy observing your new "pets"

BajaBlanca - 2-24-2017 at 07:51 PM

the saga continues: yesterday we went out to dinner with friends and closed the garage before Junior made it in. We have had issues with theft in the village, so now way could we leave the garage open.

Junior went back to his old spot right on top of a high plant that I have out on the porch, right in view from the kitchen window.

After looking at the pics - Junior might be a Junya ??? Les thinks the feathers are just ruffled but I don't know.....pretty big looking in the close up photo!

elgatoloco - 2-25-2017 at 12:24 PM

Cool 'pet'. I would discourage the garage nest idea due to possible access issues if eggs ever hatch there. :dudette:

Udo - 2-25-2017 at 02:13 PM

I don't think Blanca will have a voice on that issue.

I suppose Les could cut a bird door in the garage, and when the mice come in, the bird will have built-in food supply.

BajaBlanca - 2-26-2017 at 08:24 AM

Les is thinking about building a special shelf for the nest because Junior is making a mess with all the twigs and not successfully building. I think the engineer in Les is unhappy.

We joked about building a roadrunner entrance LOL

BajaBill74 - 2-26-2017 at 10:42 AM

Yes, I got a real laugh out of Udo's bird door suggestion. It should include remote door openers for the little birds.

BajaBlanca - 2-27-2017 at 11:48 AM

So we have a new nest shelf

view from afar:

and a bit closer -notice it is very close to where Junior sleeps:

and here is the close-up with the bulk of the twigs moved over - I hope that does not spook Junior:

BajaBlanca - 2-28-2017 at 11:54 AM

Shall we take bets on whether he will finish this nest?

AKgringo - 2-28-2017 at 12:24 PM

Blanca, are you talking about betting on Junior, or Les?

blackwolfmt - 2-28-2017 at 02:08 PM

Too Funny

BajaBill74 - 3-1-2017 at 09:39 AM

So, has Junior worked on the nest since it was moved?

BajaBlanca - 3-1-2017 at 12:29 PM

Hard to say but I don't think so.

Here is my question: should we remove the twigs so that he builds from scratch? What say ye ? Please voice your thoughts.

toronja - 3-1-2017 at 01:21 PM

Don't remove the twigs, or if you do, place them close by. Finding the right materials is most of the battle. (s)he will rearrange them to his/her liking. That said, if it's a young bird or a bird without a mate, it may just be "practicing" and won't end up creating a full nest. Not sure on whether moving the materials will spook it. Who knows. You could leave piles of twigs and soft fluffy stuff near the garage so he/she can choose what they want as far as nesting material goes.

fandango - 3-1-2017 at 05:32 PM

Bajablanca: what has the bird been doing since les made the new shelf? Where is he been?

BajaBlanca - 3-1-2017 at 07:16 PM

It looks like he /she has totally ignored the nest.

Not only that, he/she is late coming home today and we have already closed the garage.....kids these days!!!!

BornFisher - 3-2-2017 at 08:39 AM

Hope it didn`t fly the coop!!

pauldavidmena - 3-2-2017 at 09:21 AM

He may have other roads to run.

Seriously, I don't know whether roadrunners tend to have multiple nests or if Junior has moved on. :(

BajaBlanca - 3-2-2017 at 04:08 PM

:(

Not sure if he has flown the coop but I feel as if one of my kids has gone missing.

This not knowing if he will return is like waiting for the other shoe to drop!

woody with a view - 3-2-2017 at 07:09 PM

I will be watching for the cartoon where the coyote finally catches the road runner! I wonder which ACME implement did the trick?

bajabuddha - 3-2-2017 at 07:37 PM

Blanca, no offense intended, but leave nature to nature. It's a wonder you got the shots you did, and what a pleasure! Roadrunners are one of my totems, always loved when glimpsed. You should be honored with them too, but set them free. They don't belong in your garage any more than you do in their nests. Your 'intrusion into their world' (pun intended) would only disrupt their family living the same as if they built their nest in your bathroom or bedroom. Neither will accommodate the other if you consider that point. You have had a wonderful opportunity to cohabitate with a former dinosaur. Such a gift is only bestowed on those who deserve it IMHO.

Blessings,
bb

blackwolfmt - 3-2-2017 at 07:56 PM

I wouldn't be surprised once they saw the garage door would be shut it was time for plan B, They gotta be somewhere around ur casa
blanca,

and Woody, only person catchin the roadrunner is Speedy Gonzales

BajaBlanca - 3-2-2017 at 07:58 PM

I so agree! I did not think it was a good idea for a road runner to have a nest in the garage but stillllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

I miss Junior. He was a hoot cooing on the roof here and at the B&B!

He is gone elsewhere....two nights in a row that he is gone.

ehall - 3-3-2017 at 06:02 AM

The 2 we had at work built their first nest inside the engine compartment on a forklift. We had to clean that nest out. They built a new nest 100ft. Away in a stack of ladders and raised 3 chicks.

BajaBlanca - 3-4-2017 at 08:05 AM

Many days have gone by and no sign of Junior.

Les says he found better lodging hahahaha

motoged - 3-4-2017 at 09:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Many days have gone by and no sign of Junior.

Les says he found better lodging hahahaha

Blanca and Les,
So...he found better lodging? How much to rent the garage now that he is gone? Is it nicer than the room I booked? :biggrin:

Howard - 3-4-2017 at 09:49 AM

Here ya go, maybe this will help. :biggrin:

http://www.birdhotline.com/

Our Goals: •To reunite almost all the little lost frightened birds with their grieving families by becoming as well known as dialing 911
•Help every bird have a better life by educating their families to their needs and potential
•Educate the non bird person to search for that little found bird's home
•Be a place of Hope and Understanding for you and other Bird people

[Edited on 3-4-2017 by Howard]

Udo - 3-4-2017 at 10:16 AM

That garage looks like mine!:biggrin:

BajaBlanca - 3-4-2017 at 12:35 PM

Udo - that garage is so full of stuff....

Howard - what a great resource!

MOTOGED - looking forward to seeing you soon. We have some really wonderful guests right now who own a home they want to sell at the Oasis and are paying La Bocana a visit for the first time. Really sweet couple, you should sneak over and meet them before you come to stay!

BajaBlanca - 4-15-2017 at 11:33 AM

Les and I are spending quiet time watching TV this morning when a persistent coo coo coooooooooo was heard. There is an obnoxious dove outside was my comment. Les jumps up and goes out saying "I think that is Junior.

and it was !!

Happy Easter everyone Shabat shalom... our missing bird just reappeared and seems to be happy and healthy!

willyAirstream - 4-15-2017 at 12:09 PM

That is so cool! Keep his rent low, so he will stay around.

roadrunner.png - 31kB

BornFisher - 4-15-2017 at 12:38 PM

You`ve been adopted!!
Love those birds!
Should be fun watching Junior work on Les!!

bajabuddha - 4-15-2017 at 04:57 PM

MEEP MEEEEEP !!! :bounce:

BajaBlanca - 4-15-2017 at 07:38 PM

willy - beautifully done!

meeep meeeep indeed!

low rent CHECK

It was so nice to know he is alive and well. He didn't come back to his old bed, maybe he still has to help with the babies? Wouldn't it be something if he brought them to visit?

Howard - 4-15-2017 at 10:28 PM

So let me get this straight, he/she came back between Good Friday and Easter with some Passover thrown in. Jr. might be looking for some Easter eggs and Matzah.

The maker works in mysterious ways. :biggrin:

BajaBlanca - 4-16-2017 at 07:46 PM

He does indeed.

Junior must be gallivanting again! But we saw him and that is what counts. Happy Easter all.

bajabuddha - 4-16-2017 at 08:06 PM

Yeah, happy easter. I couldn't find a single egg I hid for myself this morning. :(

BajaBlanca - 4-17-2017 at 07:38 AM

AKgringo - 4-17-2017 at 08:57 AM

I put all my eggs in one basket.....now if I could just remember what I did with it....

BajaBlanca - 6-19-2017 at 09:19 PM

So I hear cooing yesterday, run outside, and there is the roadrunner we have nicknamed JUNIOR on the roof of our house.

Cool as a Cucumber as if he hadn't been missing in action for weeks!

It was great to see him. He sure must be busy with his little ones somewhere else ....

Sorry the pics get a little fuzzy when I zoom in.

bajabuddha - 6-19-2017 at 09:22 PM

Looks like a little chocolate mous(s)e for dessert for the kids. *grin*

David K - 6-20-2017 at 07:11 AM

I saw several roadrunners on my trip this month, they wouldn't pose for me when I stopped to take a photo! :(;)

BajaBlanca - 6-20-2017 at 07:54 AM

dessert! He was nibbling on something!

yes, those roadrunners are quite skittish.

I find it so funny that Junior comes back to coo (marking his territory) after weeks and weeks. It would be so interesting to see the rest of the family.

bajabuddha - 6-20-2017 at 12:49 PM

Blanca, the 'nibble-thing' is what I was referring to... looks like he's got a mouse by the tail to me ! Can't tell for sure tho.

Here is what you do....

Howard - 6-20-2017 at 07:26 PM

Play this song and Junior will Coo, Coo right back and as Bogie said, ""I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNRUhYJXplY

RRnr's

KaceyJ - 6-20-2017 at 07:55 PM

Although interesting in their own way , I don't have much use for them

The vibrating noise they make is from a high frequency clicking of their beak

They also use this movement to macerate their prey

Our yearly family has been cleaning up all the dead bees kicked out of the swarm that lives in the big oak tree down in the arroyo

However , there is hardly a lizard left in the yard and the little quail babies have been suffering greatly

BajaBlanca - 6-21-2017 at 08:03 PM

KaceyJ - while Jr was around there was not one NOT ONE roach around our house. How I loved this! I abhor roaches and Jr. was my h e r o.

Because we are the last house on the edge of town, totally surrounded by desert, he could eat lizards all day every day and never ever even make a dent, but I hear you about the birds....I would be sad to see quail babies disappearing.

I am so glad he nixed living in our garage but I really enjoy seeing him around.