BajaNomad

Mexicali East Crossing (Tourist Card on Sundays)

DeMinimis - 2-21-2017 at 01:10 PM

Hey all. Haven't crossed here since '09. Back then, if I recall, getting a tourist visa was limited to certain hours and not available on Sundays. Anyway, does anyone have current info on getting a tourist visa on Sundays at Mexicali East? Thanks!

AKgringo - 2-21-2017 at 03:04 PM

I can not speak about Mexicali East, but I crossed south at Mexicali west on Sunday, Nov 20 this season. It was at mid day, and I expected a delay, but the whole process took only about 15 minutes!

I used the far left lane, and was able to park right by the door of the INM office.

The agent at the desk filled out the form for me, and I paid right there (in pesos).

[Edited on 2-21-2017 by AKgringo]

DeMinimis - 2-21-2017 at 03:20 PM

I only did Mexicali West, by accident, a couple of years ago (heading north). They did not want RVs going that route (we're a truck and camper, but we're huuuuge). Not sure if it's the same crossing into Baja. It really sucked heading north (our rig barely squeezed through).

DeMinimis - 2-21-2017 at 04:29 PM

Google shows East is open 7 days a week from 6AM to Midnight. Not sure I trust Google for that info, but that's about all I could find. I dunno, might try the downtown crossing as I'd like to be well beyond Mexicali by 6AM.

dobromike - 2-22-2017 at 07:54 AM

Mexicali East is open 7 days a week, 6am -10pm. I crossed on Sunday, but my tourist card was pre-paid, so didn't need the bank. Great time to cross. I was told that the Bank is open whenever the Immigration Office is open, but that info is second hand.

DeMinimis - 2-22-2017 at 08:03 AM

Thank you!! Unless someone here chimes up that going through the old crossing (never tried going south) is not a good idea (stupid huge truck and stupider large camper), we may try that as I want to get out of Mexicali about the time the sun rises. Hate driving in Mexicali.

Pacifico - 2-22-2017 at 08:20 AM

Parking can be difficult on the Mexicali East crossing for getting your FMM if you are in a large vehicle. There have been threads on this before with maps, etc. Try doing a search on Nomads. I do remember there is a small turnout big enough for 2-3 vehicles south of the buildings near the X-ray machine...the main parking lot is difficult to access if in a big vehicle.

Found it...check this thread out:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81369#pid1013...

[Edited on 2-22-2017 by Pacifico]

DeMinimis - 2-22-2017 at 09:09 AM

Thanks. I've done East with no problems, although there was some walking involved. They just aren't open early enough for me so considering West (old/Downtown).

dobromike - 2-22-2017 at 09:57 AM

East is the only crossing I will use, Ever! I also hate driving in Mexicali, but on Sunday morning early, it is a piece of cake. As far as parking, They always let me park in the Red Zone long enough to run into immigration office. Never have encountered a line at the East Crossing going South. But. don't hold it over my head if you encounter problems. Haha

dobromike - 2-22-2017 at 10:04 AM

In Addition to my last statement, I also Always cross early Sunday morning

DeMinimis - 2-22-2017 at 10:14 AM

Thanks! Yea, I'm one of those guys that likes to hit the road at 4:30AM when in Baja. My truck turns night into day, and I really like knocking out a few miles in the pre-drawn. Dare I say it's almost therapeutic? I even think my wife almost enjoys being at the ready to switch off the PIAAs should we meet a vehicle on the road.