BajaNomad

The road North of Pt. Conejo ?

mojo_norte - 3-7-2017 at 07:25 PM

Does it follow the coast ?

Nice Camping ?

bajalinda - 3-7-2017 at 09:39 PM

Yes, it follows the coast up to Puerto Chale. About 10 miles or so north of Conejo it goes inland a bit to get around the estero there at the very small (and aptly named) pueblito of El Estero, then goes back to the coast.

Beautiful camping especially north of El Estero on the west side of the south end of Mag Bay - on the spit of land at the south end of the bay.

[Edited on 3-8-2017 by bajalinda]

MMc - 3-8-2017 at 12:02 AM

Nope! it's full of nasty thing that should be left alone. Go forth at your own parallel.

mickeykreg - 3-12-2017 at 07:18 PM

In January we went about 3-4 miles north then turned around.

Conejo was amazing enough!

BajaBlanca - 3-12-2017 at 08:16 PM

wow

what a gorgeous photograph!

TMW - 3-12-2017 at 10:22 PM

The usual Baja 1000 course follows a route about 10KM out of Santa Rita down to Arroyo Guadalupe then the coast down turning east near Ley Federal Agria Dos in the Baja Almanac toward La Paz.

BFS - 3-13-2017 at 09:11 AM

It really goes all the way to Chale?
Wow.
How about a map?
thanks.

bajalinda - 3-14-2017 at 08:26 AM

BFS - I'm in the middle of a family visit right now - will post more but realistically it won't be til next week.

bajalinda - 3-21-2017 at 11:34 AM

OK BFS, here ya go..... this map shows the road north of Pt. Conejo as far as Estero Salado where you will find the small village of El Estero. From there you can opt to return to the highway and join it at Las Pocitas, or you can continue north to Puerto Chale. I know the map in The Baja Almanac shows the road north of the estero as a mere track, but it is more than a track - the fishermen use it to go north. I would suggest that you ask the people in El Estero (I know them, they are good people) about the condition of the road north and then decide what you want to do.

mid-pacific-coast-map.jpg - 29kB

BFS - 3-22-2017 at 03:11 PM

Wow, thanks for that. Will have to give it a try.

StuckSucks - 3-22-2017 at 04:33 PM

Intel from November 2014. The 1000 ran south thru there. North of Conejo the road was pretty torn up, so we jumped onto the beach and drove north to Guadalupe that way (our rescue base camp):

This is what the road looks like along the coast - sand and silt and whoops:

Rescuing our brand new Class 10 car the next morning in the silt, south of Estero Salada - from there, we exited to Highway 1 at Las Pocitas :

bajalinda - 3-22-2017 at 05:10 PM

De nada, BFS.

StuckSucks - looks like you had a heck of a time there. November 2014 would have been roughly 2 months after Hurricane Odile rolled over the peninsula. The roads were a mess everywhere, so I imagine that Baja 1000 was a doozy.