BajaNomad

A few La Paz questions

eigervue - 6-21-2017 at 06:36 PM

So I'm going down to La paz with my brother in a few days and had a few questions as I havent been down to Baja. We are flying in to Cabo and driving up to La Paz.

First off is there anywhere in La Paz to rent a scooter or a dirt bike for a week? I really just want something for local trips, my brother is renting a car, but has some work to do and will probably hold onto those keys with a clenched fist. It would be nice to have a little more independence than just walking, renting a bicycle or taxiing around. (we're staying at the end of the malecon)

Next I was thinking of paying for a day adventure for us, and am wondering if there are any recommendations. We both ride and have motorcycle licenses so that's one way to go, but I think we'd enjoy again a day rental of an adventure bike more than the guided tours or hardcore off roading I keep finding online. The other option would be obviously something in the water, but my brother isn't really into fishing, and I'm not sure he's into snorkeling either although I could strong arm him into either. I know isla esperitu is a big destination, but I've seen sea lions and whale sharks up close before is there other chit worth doing there. Maybe a kayak expedition? Any cool bays to kayak around?

Now that's out of the way. What I want to do. I do love the water, and am wondering about surfing, and snorkeling primarily. Are there good breaks that aren't too territorial? Also are there any swimmable reefs worth snorkeling. It seems like most of the snorkel/dive tours are based around large marine mammals, but I'd rather check out fish. I've dove a few times but at some shady places and I'm not certified. I dont know how much of a problem that might be in mexico, but I've honestly always found snorkeling to be more enjoyable anyway.

Other than that, is there anything that's must do in baja within a day's drive of La paz? Any other must do's in La Paz? Restaurants or bars you;d recommend?

Thanks for any suggestions!

[Edited on 6-22-2017 by eigervue]

p.s. is local currency or american currency preferred, and should I try to butcher my way thru spanish I havent used in 10 years or just speak english?

willardguy - 6-21-2017 at 06:47 PM

plan on spending saturday night on the la paz malecon at one of the fun bars, Fritz's is a great choice for draft beers, wings and fries. you'll see why la paz is known for the cutest senoritas in baja!;)

TMW - 6-21-2017 at 07:01 PM

There are hotels on the water that you could snorkel. You could also fish from a boat that the hotel could help arrange. What Willard said is right on. I don't think surfing in the Sea of Cortez works you need the pacific side to do that. Paddle boarding may work, again ask at the hotel.

BajaBlanca - 6-21-2017 at 07:38 PM

Welcome to bajanomad!

It has been 3 years, but here is a long read on the month we stayed in La Paz.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=73372

TMW - 6-21-2017 at 08:05 PM

I could set on the Malecon and watch people all day. A great place to be.

Lee - 6-21-2017 at 08:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eigervue  

Now that's out of the way. What I want to do. I do love the water, and am wondering about surfing,

Flying into Cabo, you're landing at San Jose airport. Driving out of the airport, stay on the road to San Jose. When you reach the Corridor (main road, 4-way stop), turn right for about a mile to Zipper's and Costa Azul for short and long board waves. Look for surf shops on the right for board rentals.

Locals have the breaks wired. Attitude is mellow and everyone is having fun. Smile, say hola, and catch waves.

45 minutes up Hgwy 19, you'll pass Cerritos Beach area but keep going. You'll see a sign on the right for the Pescadero Surf Camp http://pescaderosurf.com where you can rent a surfboard and get directions to San Pedrito Beach. The Point is reached by turning left at the ''Pescadero Palace'' sign. Mellow crowd, mostly gringos -- campers at The Point and locals.

Buy a Conversational Spanish book and brush up. Speaking both Spanish and English together is acceptable.

gnukid - 6-22-2017 at 10:07 AM

You can rent a bicycle at various shops off the malecon and easily bike or walk anywhere you want to go also taxis are easy to get and cheap there are also busses, but I don't know of moto scooter rental and it can be very dangerous to ride a motorcycle in la paz. You can also rent a paddlebaord, or hire a boat for snorkeling and diving.

David K - 6-22-2017 at 10:19 AM

How about a day-boat trip to see Espiritu Santo Island, dive with the sea lions, etc?

Crossing the channel north from La Paz.

One of the other day boats (many were there, July 2012)

Sea lions come out to play with the humans. Don't get too close!

Lunch on the island. (feed your skipper, too)

Scary rock cliffs!

Frigatebird nests

Baja Angel and I loved it! Thank you, Baja Tripper and Zully for the idea!

Alan - 6-22-2017 at 01:29 PM

There used to be a place that rented Mopeds but it closed some time ago. Fritz on the malecon also closed fairly recently but there are plenty of other places to choose from for night life.

Yes you can snorkel with sealions out at Los Isolotes but you'll need to take a panga to get there. That trip is best arranged out at Tecolote, (I usually go through Palapa Azul out there). One very nice and uncrowded spot is in front of the Restaurant 1534 (old Giggling Marlin) over the hill at Ensenada de los Muertos during high tide. It has a nice little reef out front with a good amount of tropical fish. Even saw a Moorish Idol there once. No tour required just bring your mask and fins and go to the left of the boat ramp. The Las Arenas fleet also fishes from that beach so a fishing trip is easily arranged.

windgrrl - 6-22-2017 at 04:52 PM

If you are near Los Barriles, this fellow seems to be doing a lot of business:
https://www.captain-baja.com/equipment

CampfiresAndConcierges - 6-30-2017 at 08:15 PM

I had a great trip last year with Mars Y Aventuras...it was a 4-day camping trip out to Espiritu Santo, but they do all kinds of day trips, too. Great crew.
More info, if you're interested:
http://www.campfiresandconcierges.com/baja-kayak-camp/