BajaNomad

What's your favorite handheld GPS?

DawnPatrol - 11-14-2017 at 10:10 AM

Looking for one that will show BOTH street/highway mapping (including Baja) AND Marine so I can log waypoints, etc.

Any favorites?

Alan from San Diego

caj13 - 11-14-2017 at 02:09 PM

I run a Garmin 60 csx (I don't think they make em anymore) - I can put in SD microchips that have all the area topo maps on em, lay down tracks etc. probably 10 years old, never let me down

[Edited on 11-14-2017 by caj13]

PaulW - 11-14-2017 at 02:26 PM

Garmin GPS offerings https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/cOnTh...
Bigger is better
Maps are extra for Baja some may be free. but best ,maps cost.
Lowrance Ifinder H2O not new. No free maps.

rts551 - 11-14-2017 at 04:11 PM

60CSX....If you can find one.

There is a new model, Garmin 64s. It looks to do a lot of the same.

[Edited on 11-14-2017 by rts551]

Desertbull - 11-14-2017 at 05:05 PM

Garmin Oregon 750T replaced the Montana 650T ... have multiples of both and they are awesome.

JZ - 11-14-2017 at 11:11 PM

This thread is so 2004.

No hand held gps is better than an app on a good smartphone.

I've had them all over the years. All the Garmin handhelds, and Raymarine, etc. mounted on boats.

Today, both on the water apps (Navonics) and trail apps (Back Country Navigator or MotionX) are way, way better than anything on a handheld. Running on a phone it's a bigger, brighter screen, much better touch screen, way easier to use.

To be 100% clear, you'd be a fool to use a standalone HH gps in 2017. Spend your money on getting a better phone.

Navonics for on the water charts (iPhone or Android); super accurate for the entire Sea of Cortez
MotionX for trail navigation (iPhone)
Back Country Navigator for trail navigation (Android)

Both trail apps have good built in maps for most of Baja by default. Back Country Navigator is easier to use. You can download custom routes from Google Earth much more easily with BCN than you can which MotionX.

[Edited on 11-16-2017 by JZ]

Franco - 11-15-2017 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
This thread is so 2004.

I've had them all over the years. All the Garmin handhelds, and Raymarine, etc. mounted on boats.

Today, both on the water apps (Navonics) and trail apps (Back Country Navigator or MotionX) are way, way better than anything on a handheld. Running on a phone it's a brighter screen, much better touch screen, way easier to use.

To be 100% clear, you'd be a fool to use a standalone HH gps in 2017. Spend your money on getting a better phone.

Navonics for on the water charts (iPhone or Android); super accurate for the entire Sea of Cortez

Both trail apps have good built in maps for most of Baja by default. Back Country Navigator is easier to use. You can download custom routes from Google Earth much more easily.

Not certain that an app replaces a GPS coordinate especially when you loose cell tower signal. With a GPS unit many features are available. Setting a route, reverse tracking, correct roadways and off road ways. I've looked at and attempted to use Google Earth off road and instead of a road the trail was an overgrown pipeline. Would not discount a GPS unit.

[Edited on 11-15-2017 by JZ]

Franco - 11-15-2017 at 10:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Franco  
This thread is so 2004.

Today, both on the water apps (Navonics) and trail apps (Back Country Navigator or MotionX) are way, way better than anything on a handheld. Running on a phone it's a brighter screen, much better touch screen, way easier to use.

Both trail apps have good built in maps for most of Baja by default. Back Country Navigator is easier to use. You can download custom routes from Google Earth much more easily.

Not certain that an app replaces a GPS coordinate especially when you loose cell tower signal. With a GPS unit many features are available. Setting a route, reverse tracking, correct roadways and off road ways. I've looked at and attempted to use Google Earth off road and instead of a road the trail was an overgrown pipeline. Would not discount a GPS unit.

David K - 11-15-2017 at 10:30 AM

Try the Earthmate App, makes your cell phone into a GPS and has topo Baja maps that are not too bad. Works everywhere in Baja.

AKgringo - 11-15-2017 at 10:45 AM

David, I have an ATT android phone with no data plan or service contract. I need a cell phone signal or WIFI to use it, and are you saying that Earthmate will allow it to function as a stand alone gps?

jaymtb - 11-15-2017 at 12:01 PM

Hi, Have used both apps and GPS units w/offline maps. Most handhelds like old 60csx etc too small limited way/track points, stored maps.
Best found is Garmin Montana 600 w/stored maps. In Aguapac case on kayak, uses AA Batts, can read in bright sun. In dash mount with speaker in Nuvi mode with streets/trips or Mex Topo map in truck.
Phone ok, but need high battery sucking screen brightness to see in sun, appss can be flakey, few can use real vector maps.

Desertbull - 11-15-2017 at 12:04 PM

Certain Navigation Apps utilize the GPS antenna inside your phone to pinpoint your location without using data or wifi ... the phone communicates with satellites minus any service.

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
David, I have an ATT android phone with no data plan or service contract. I need a cell phone signal or WIFI to use it, and are you saying that Earthmate will allow it to function as a stand alone gps?

David K - 11-15-2017 at 12:15 PM

Yes, as Desert Bull also gave the technical answer why...

I first thought that my cell phone (Android) which was connected to my DeLorme inReach device with Bluetooth, was simply working through the inReach to show me my location and maps.

When I turned off the inReach and my cell phone continued to track me, give my speed, etc., in the middle of Baja, I learned it was independent GPS device, all using the Earthmate App. No cell service for hundreds of miles, all satellite.

AKgringo - 11-15-2017 at 12:40 PM

Bull and DK, thanks for the feedback, it sounds like an affordable accessory for exploring. The way I travel leaves the contents of my little rig exposed to damage or loss, but there are plenty of androids that wouldn't break the bank!

bkbend - 11-15-2017 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jaymtb  
Hi, Have used both apps and GPS units w/offline maps. Most handhelds like old 60csx etc too small limited way/track points, stored maps.
Best found is Garmin Montana 600 w/stored maps. In Aguapac case on kayak, uses AA Batts, can read in bright sun. In dash mount with speaker in Nuvi mode with streets/trips or Mex Topo map in truck.
Phone ok, but need high battery sucking screen brightness to see in sun, appss can be flakey, few can use real vector maps.

If you are using the phone as a GPS while driving you can keep it charged. Using for more than a few hours without charging will drain it. My son and I have been on full-day hikes, he with his phone and me with my handheld GPS, his phone dies about the time we turn around while my GPS breadcrumbs easily last until we get back.

del mar - 11-15-2017 at 01:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  

If you are using the phone as a GPS while driving you can keep it charged. Using for more than a few hours without charging will drain it. My son and I have been on full-day hikes, he with his phone and me with my handheld GPS, his phone dies about the time we turn around while my GPS breadcrumbs easily last until we get back.

XLNT point!:yes:

mtgoat666 - 11-15-2017 at 01:10 PM

yes, phones have poor energy management when on GPS, only suitable for a couple hour hike.
for an all day or multi-day hike, a real GPS hand unit will work better for you.
also, the phone GPS solution is not weather resistant. good GPS units have better integration of hardware/software for outdoor use.
phones are good for staying in your car, or short little baby hikes/runs/bike rides

DawnPatrol - 11-15-2017 at 02:21 PM

thanks to all for the advice!
Alan

JZ - 11-15-2017 at 02:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Franco  

False, false, and false!

Phone uses GPS, no cell service required. You cache the map area you want when not connected.

They come loaded with maps. Most of the signficant dirt roads are already there. Custom maps/tracks can be imported.

Can also set or import way points, track a route (get the route, distance, avg speed, moving speed, altitudes, max speed, etc.).

Anything you can do with a stand alone gps you can do better with Back Country Navigator or MotionX. Plus: much easier to use (can't state this enough), much better screen visibility. Run on phones or tablets.

Better solution and you don't need to waste money on a GPS.

You'd be a fool to use a stand alone GPS in 2017.

JZ - 11-15-2017 at 03:01 PM

Turn cell service off on the phone (airplane mode) and it will last 3x longer than the battery on a standalone GPS.

JZ - 11-15-2017 at 03:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Desertbull  
Certain Navigation Apps utilize the GPS antenna inside your phone to pinpoint your location without using data or wifi ... the phone communicates with satellites minus any service.

This is true, but you need to cache whatever maps you want to use when offline. I have all of Baja downloaded.

JZ - 11-15-2017 at 03:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

I first thought that my cell phone (Android) which was connected to my DeLorme inReach device with Bluetooth, was simply working through the inReach to show me my location and maps.

When I turned off the inReach and my cell phone continued to track me, give my speed, etc., in the middle of Baja, I learned it was independent GPS device, all using the Earthmate App. No cell service for hundreds of miles, all satellite.

Earthmate is the equivalent of Back Country Navigator or MotionX.

I always wondered why you said it needed to be tethered to the InReach. Thought that was a dumb setup if it was in fact required. Makes much more sense now.

willyAirstream - 11-15-2017 at 03:46 PM

Totally agree with JZ. Used Lowrance units are all over the race sites now, as racers are switching to tablets.
For hiking , you can use a 12 x 6 portable solar pac to keep the device charged, at least in Baja.

mtgoat666 - 11-15-2017 at 03:58 PM

Turn cell service off on the phone (airplane mode) and it will last 3x longer than the battery on a standalone GPS.

I have found with iPhone that turning off cellular and WiFi but running gps is still an energy hog that will deplete battery relatively quickly compared to a gps hand unit. iPhone is not weather resistant, so poor for kayaking, hiking, etc.

JZ - 11-15-2017 at 04:02 PM

Only chicks and kids use iPhones. My S8+ is water resistant.

David K - 11-15-2017 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Earthmate is the equivalent of Back Country Navigator or MotionX.

I always wondered why you said it needed to be tethered to the InReach. Thought that was a dumb setup if it was in fact required. Makes much more sense now.

The phone connects with the inReach so you can use the phone's keyboard to type messages faster than you can with the keypad on the inReach. It doesn't 'need' the phone paired with it for any other reason. I learned on my first trip that the Earthmate app worked alone. Sorry, if I wasn't clear on that point before.

mtgoat666 - 11-15-2017 at 04:38 PM

Only chicks and kids use iPhones. My S8+ is water resistant.

Was that intended to be an insult?

I don’t consider it an insult to be lumped together with chicks and kids - they are the best kind of people - and apparently they are also good judges of phone technology

[Edited on 11-15-2017 by mtgoat666]

willardguy - 11-15-2017 at 04:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DawnPatrol  
Alan

:lol: and you thought it was done.........

DawnPatrol - 11-15-2017 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by DawnPatrol  
Alan
Quote:

:lol: and you thought it was done.........
Quote:

Yeah WillardGuy! This post is generating a lot of action (& some heat) :)

rts551 - 11-15-2017 at 05:11 PM

You would think the phone was a Toyota. I use both. I found that my garmin is all inclusive where as i have to use multiple apps on the phone to do routes, breadcrumbing , etc. Also we use Leadnav for mapping during the Norra Race...which only runs on Apple devices (phone or tablet). So while some have fallen in love with their Samsung phone, they will not do everything, as in most items...including Toy trucks.

Get the device that works best for you!

[Edited on 11-16-2017 by rts551]

AKgringo - 11-15-2017 at 05:12 PM

And be careful where you step when using a gps app on your shoe phone!

CJ - 11-15-2017 at 05:26 PM

Agree with JZ......been using an iPad mini ( iPad has the AT&T phone service) with motion x app for the last two years driving around Baja Sur in my RZR.....works great. Haven’t been lost yet.......though I also have a Lowrance with the Baja chip....ya gotta love redundancy :cool:

PaulW - 11-15-2017 at 07:19 PM

Once you buy Inreach you get Earthmate. And Yes if your device has a GPS Earthmate will work just fine. However you will not get the map feature from your Inreach account. I use Earthmate all the time on my Android table just that way. Works on most all phones and tablets because most all contain a GPS. No internet required, just a view of the sky.

unbob - 11-17-2017 at 03:47 PM

Just installed Earthmate app on my Android phone without realizing it requires inReach - which I do not want. Guess I'll try that Backcountry app now ....

I have a perfectly good Android phone - except the SIM "slot" is somehow screwed-up and a SIM will not make contact. But otherwise the phone can be connected via wifi or GPS. Thus seems ideal for a GPS unit.

[Edited on 11-17-2017 by unbob]

BajaTed - 11-17-2017 at 09:18 PM

Navionics on phone device and Maritimetraffic.com on tablet is how to get to Catalina by knowing where you and them both are at the same time, works great

Ken Cooke - 11-19-2017 at 08:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
Just installed Earthmate app on my Android phone without realizing it requires inReach - which I do not want. Guess I'll try that Backcountry app now ....
[Edited on 11-17-2017 by unbob]

I was going to say the exact same thing. I used the Geo Tracker app while driving and navigating the 2017 Pole Line Run. I was only able to utilize this Android app from Hwy 2 to the Cohabuzo Junction region. Then, from the top of "Bad Hill" down to Mexico Hwy 5.

When I have cell tower accessibility, Geo Tracker works just fine. I will go on a short hike today, and will put Earthmate to the test.

rts551 - 11-19-2017 at 05:53 PM

http://www.mexicomaps.com/mexico_gps.lasso?-session=mmid:B86...

Ken Cooke - 11-19-2017 at 08:35 PM

Today, I went to a location without cell service. My Geo Tracker app worked fine. I was able to create a track in real time while the Earthmate app wouldn't get me past the initial log-in page. Since I don't own a Garmin product, Geo Tracker is the only product for my Android phone that works for me. Am I missing something??