BajaNomad

Creating Custom Maps II: Baja California Sur

David K - 12-28-2017 at 03:24 PM

The other thread was getting a bit long and had a lot of help and experimentation as I tried to find a way to make maps for the road guide that could be done on my computer and show just those places mentioned in the guide without too many extra distractions.

As I stated in the other thread, I found an online service for map making that provided the base (showing the coastline, mountains, and Highway 1) without much else that was either wrong (the case with many online maps) or there was no way to easily add items to it.

These maps are to help one see where the locations are in relation to each other so the road guide will be clearer for the user to visualize where they are.

I am sharing my work with my Nomad amigos for feedback, ideas of how or what could make them better, and on the chance, you guys may get some entertainment or use from them. Only Highway 1 came with the base map, all other roads, all symbols, all names were added by me, using satellite images for accurate placement. These maps are made for education and enjoyment.

After I touch up or change the Baja Norte maps posted in the other thread, I may repost them in a fresh thread for easier viewing.

Thank you!

Today's work (so far): Vizcaíno Area...

4x4abc - 12-28-2017 at 05:09 PM

in your previous map you showed Paraleo 28 at k 127 - now you show it at k 200.

4x4abc - 12-28-2017 at 05:12 PM

as all signs along the highways in Baja show km 149 (for example) - why would you shorten it to k 149 and confuse people you intend to help

David K - 12-28-2017 at 06:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
in your previous map you showed Paraleo 28 at k 127 - now you show it at k 200.

Good eye Harald... except it is 220. It is BOTH 127 and 220!
Southbound in Baja Norte, it is Km. 127 and this map ends at that point:

Once you are on the south side of the Eagle (State Border), the kilometer markers change from southbound (getting bigger going south) to northbound (getting smaller going south). It is Km. 220 and declines to Santa Rosalia (Km. 0).

David K - 12-28-2017 at 06:51 PM

as all signs along the highways in Baja show km 149 (for example) - why would you shorten it to k 149 and confuse people you intend to help

To keep the numbers as short as possible.

I really hope that a figure next to the highway saying K181 along with other suck K figures is clearly seen as being kilometer markers, as that is what is in the guide text. Remember, these maps are supporting the guide (which does have it as Km. 181, by-the-way).

If I were making maps that have no guide text with them, I would include a legend to explain the abbreviations. N on the compass is North, but I hope that doesn't need explaining. Until your comment, I would not dream that K with a number, along a Mexican highway, would need clarification.

If I make a general legend for the maps, I will show an example and say that K... is a kilometer marker.
Thank you, Harald! Happy New Year. I hope your leg is doing better!!

Bahía Tortugas Area

David K - 12-29-2017 at 10:26 AM

This morning's work (began last night)...

Edited with an addition, San José de Castro!

[Edited on 12-29-2017 by David K]

Special Ed - 12-29-2017 at 10:46 AM

Love these maps, just moved to TJ and I can't wait to explore these areas for the first time this spring! Gracias David!

David K - 12-29-2017 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Special Ed  
Love these maps, just moved to TJ and I can't wait to explore these areas for the first time this spring! Gracias David!

Welcome to Nomad and thank you for your reply!
Until the Baja Bound Road Guide is available, please see my 2017 Trip Reports (numbered 1-7) for many of the photos and road details... in the Nomad Trip Reports Forum: http://forums.bajanomad.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=50

Next;

David K - 12-29-2017 at 11:49 AM

TMW - 12-29-2017 at 01:07 PM

David why do you not show the pipeline road from K83 complete to the Malarrimo road?

Next...

David K - 12-29-2017 at 03:26 PM

David K - 12-29-2017 at 03:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
David why do you not show the pipeline road from K83 complete to the Malarrimo road?

I included it because it is mentioned in the guide as a possible alternate route to reach Malarrimo Beach. I did not drive it but I know some who have, so I show it. However, the satellite image I am using to draw in the roads shows it vanishing under the sand dunes. If you or any Nomad have driven it recently, I will be comfortable in connecting that gap... easy to do. I also could show it as a dashed line... maybe a good option?
Thank you... This is the input I appreciate!

DONE:

[Edited on 12-30-2017 by David K]

TMW - 12-29-2017 at 04:53 PM

No I have not driven it, I had planned to on an upcoming trip. Dash lines sound like a good ideal.

Final map for today!

David K - 12-29-2017 at 06:55 PM

Have a look, let me know what I could add (or take away).
Happy New Year!

Thanks to Mt.Goat666 noticing the error, the whale camp name has been edited to Pachico's.

David K - 12-29-2017 at 07:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
No I have not driven it, I had planned to on an upcoming trip. Dash lines sound like a good ideal.

Harald sent me the track line of the road and I was able to then spot it on my satellite map making program... very faint, but it changed directions as you see on the dashed line and that is why I lost it.

mtgoat666 - 12-29-2017 at 07:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Have a look, let me know what I could add (or take away).
Happy New Year!

When did Pachico’s change their name to Pancho’s?

mtgoat666 - 12-29-2017 at 09:13 PM

I wrote down the name off the sign. All the campos were closed for summer when I was there. I chatted with a caretaker at Kuyima.

You better go back and read the signs again :light:

mtgoat666 - 12-29-2017 at 10:45 PM

This is why I am running these maps here, so any mistakes can be found. I did post the name Pancho's in my trip report last August with no corrections mentioned.
In any case, thank you goat!

I did not know you were seeking review of maps, until now,...
Suggest you avoid asking gringos for reviews. You will get more useful reviews if you send maps to locals for review.

Btw, on subject map, you don’t show the inland road that runs over and east of cuarenta Mesa. But, like I said, send map to a local for a more informative review, they know way more than us tourists....

David K - 12-30-2017 at 12:30 AM

The Cuarenta road is there but the map ends just south of the split between that road and the Salina road.

From the very start, I made it clear I appreciated feedback to help make the maps better. I made the roadguide so I am making the maps to show the roads I traveled and others I noted or mentioned in the guide text.

As for 'locals' contributing, they have when I ask them questions about their facility. As the map and guide are for visitors who read English and have vehicles that register miles, I don't know how much more they can provide? Being that I began traveling in Baja since 1965 and driving myself there since 1974, I think I am qualified to write about driving in Baja and seeing the interesting sites most locals have never been to. I lived in California for 60 years but am not qualified to write about it simply because I am a "local". On the other hand, I have traveled and researched Baja California extensively as it is the place that I have the greatest passion for.

MulegeAL - 12-30-2017 at 08:28 AM

DK,
Does your road guide have info on road conditions such as high clearance, sand, etc? I have traveled most of your "little green lines" (as it is my passion as well) and know maps are just a place to start with being prepared.

My concern is that these maps will wind up as screen dump printouts in rental cars, and maps can't show all the data for a green line adventure.

Maybe more dashed green lines would help where there are rough steep passes or lots of washouts like on the middle "road" east of the El Datil Salina road. Bailout info is hard-won, not sure how to show that, maybe in your guide. The green lines in my locale have taken another beating from storms and have even more rocks and ruts than last season.

I still see travelers in the interior with nothing more than AAA map and they were having a good time/came out alive.

Last month I ran copy of the Almanac for two bicycle riders who had no idea of the topography ahead, only a waypoint list and something on a solar powered GPS. They were asking me if they could find water to filter in the Comondus routes.

Nice maps, keep them coming, thanks!

David K - 12-30-2017 at 08:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MulegeAL  
DK,
Does your road guide have info on road conditions such as high clearance, sand, etc? I have traveled most of your "little green lines" (as it is my passion as well) and know maps are just a place to start with being prepared.

My concern is that these maps will wind up as screen dump printouts in rental cars, and maps can't show all the data for a green line adventure.

Maybe more dashed green lines would help where there are rough steep passes or lots of washouts like on the middle "road" east of the El Datil Salina road. Bailout info is hard-won, not sure how to show that, maybe in your guide. The green lines in my locale have taken another beating from storms and have even more rocks and ruts than last season.

I still see travelers in the interior with nothing more than AAA map and they were having a good time/came out alive.

Last month I ran copy of the Almanac for two bicycle riders who had no idea of the topography ahead, only a waypoint list and something on a solar powered GPS. They were asking me if they could find water to filter in the Comondus routes.

Nice maps, keep them coming, thanks!

Hi Al,
The maps are not the guide, but are to show what roads and places are in the guide, to better orient the reader.
The guidebook is written to describe the road and places along it or at the end of it. The guide is a preview of what one may find if the road is driven. Too many zoom down Highway 1 (or 5) with an end destination in mind without know that a whole world of adventure and beauty is off on one of the many roads most have no idea go to. I have been guilty of passing by many roads to get to my destination. Producing the guide, I traveled these side roads for the first time to see what was at the end and I share that as well as the many places I have been to before.

The guide is a road log using kilometer markers along roads that have them, and the odometer on roads that don't. Photos of locations are included and now, I am working on the maps to give some visual aid to show the reader where these roads are in relation to each other.

Perhaps I will post a sample of the road log someday soon? It is basically finished and has been copy-edited by more than one Baja author.
If you read my Baja Bound newsletter articles, you get a hint of some of the road log info. I wrote about the drive up to Mission Guadalupe (west from Mulegé), recently. See the Nomad Baja Travel Articles forum:http://forums.bajanomad.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45

The maps have a "4WD" note along any roads I consider it prudent to have four-wheel drive because of deep ruts, steep grades, silt beds, etc.

There is still lots to be done and I enjoy the opportunity to improve on what I have done so far. Thank you.

EDIT: Here are a couple sample pages from the San Felipe to Punta San Francisquito chapter (this is an early draft, it may have been edited more):

4x4abc - 12-30-2017 at 12:46 PM

where is cuarenta Mesa?

David K - 12-30-2017 at 02:08 PM

where is cuarenta Mesa?

Not on the San Ignacio map, above... It could be added into the San Juanico map.

However, as I mentioned, these maps are to illustrate roads and places mentioned in the guide. To flood too much detail into these maps could render them less than effective. The Cuarenta Mesa is not in my guide... but the Salina Mesa is (at least that is what the topo map calls the mesa north of Rancho Cuarenta).

Rancho Cuarenta is in the next map...

David K - 12-30-2017 at 03:01 PM

Would anyone like to see mileage figures next to the roads (the ones I logged)? I could do a test and see how that looks. It will either enrich the map or clutter it up. Some of the maps have a lot of points so I wouldn't add mileages to them. However, it may be odd to have mileages only on some maps...

clutter

John M - 12-30-2017 at 03:15 PM

It will add clutter - and as you've said a number of times, the maps are meant to be used with the log (Guide) anyway - so there you have the mileages. If you do go for a test look, make the numbers in some off the wall color. - Then will you have to label it in Kms. or Miles?

John M

David K - 12-30-2017 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
It will add clutter - and as you've said a number of times, the maps are meant to be used with the log (Guide) anyway - so there you have the mileages. If you do go for a test look, make the numbers in some off the wall color. - Then will you have to label it in Kms. or Miles?

John M

Valid point. A printed Guide will likely be in black & white, so colors won't do a thing. Fonts can, however. The only thing in kilometers are the posts on highways... all the dirt roads have odometer mileages. If a dirt road has kilometer posts, then I include them as a reference point with the mileage figures.

The auto club maps were great because they had mileages along every road shown... and they got the location spelling correct (lol)!

The Almanac has both miles (11.3m) and kilometers (18.2k) on selected roads. Did 4x4abc send a letter to Landon for using k and not Km. ?? ;)

David K - 12-30-2017 at 03:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  

John M

What I can do, is for future Baja Nomad posts, and not the Guide, is have maps with miles along the roads in question. I can easily edit the map on Photo bucket with miles in bright red or blue along roads.

David K - 12-30-2017 at 04:01 PM

Just an experiment... yes, the font size is not the same.

4x4abc - 12-30-2017 at 04:16 PM

I like the miles along the road

still don't know where cuarenta Mesa is

mtgoat666 - 12-30-2017 at 06:28 PM

still don't know where cuarenta Mesa is

It is where the treasure is hidden. Ssshhhhhhhhh!

MulegeAL - 12-30-2017 at 07:32 PM

DK,
Thanks for the edit, I think that is fantastic stuff!

But,... Oh man, you need to go do the "High road" section again. It is soo bad! Many many washouts. We were in 4WD for a few twisty moondust sections.

And Rancho Cuarenta, what a hoot! I missed the "highway" gate just outside the rancho, drove into the rancho. The old guy pulls out his 4 language nota asking for pesos, doesn't say a word. I gave him 100P and he opened the gate!

But that road is seriously messed up. Dashed green line IMHO!

Edit:
The so called shortcut over the hill to Cadje...the climbs and descent over that mesa are 4wd. The rest of it is just rough! Possible deep water hole at the Raymundo side depending on the season.

[Edited on 12-31-2017 by MulegeAL]

David K - 12-30-2017 at 09:16 PM

Thanks for the road notes. I was wondering if I should add '4WD' to the east road to Mulegé via San Miguel. I drove the east half last summer going to Mission Guadalupe.

I did not drive the high road other than the part with mileage notes. Where I did, it was wonderful. Exactly where did it go to hell... near Cuarenta? It sure appeared to be the main 'highway' and more used than the Salina road.

[Edited on 12-31-2017 by David K]

MulegeAL - 12-31-2017 at 08:46 AM

I agree, the sections where you show blue milage figures are no big problema.

The part we found roughest was from about La Salatilla drainage north almost all the way to rancho Cuarenta. Flooding washed out the road bed at almost all the minor arroyos, forcing detours off the road that were moondust holes.

We were driving a lifted F250 4WD van on 33 BFGs, plowed the drop ins and climb outs with the hitch steel on a few of them. Doable, but can't recommend as "Subaru-safe" route due to clearance requirements.

The "straight section north of Cuarenta along the flank of the mesa was overgrown with brush and trees, fold in the mirrors, expect to buff out the sides of your ride from bushwacking.

Re: the San Raymundo route: not sure what to advise. This route get driven every day by 2WD locals and a few tourists, as it shows on the AAA map. Lots more arroyo rock last couple of years. If dry, is long and rough 2WD, if wet, the climbs will be problematic 4WD.

Last season I encountered 3 young guys riding through on mountain bikes. Two were doing OK, the 3rd was having no fun at all, they were having to push their loaded bikes through the sand then ride the arroyo rocks in the hot sun. To each his own I guess!

I went up to the Guadelupe junction last week, the west side has a lot more water than the east side at this point in time. Will report back when I ride through to Cadeje/San J next couple of weeks, need more daylight in the day!

Arroyo San Raymundo

AKgringo - 12-31-2017 at 09:51 AM

It has been a year since I drove that route from Mulege to San Juanico, but unless there has been some road construction in the mean time, it does not deserve the solid green road status!

It appears that instead of many crossings to graded roads on high ground next to the arroyo, they just bulldozed a trail right up the drainage. It was slow, and brutal in my little 4x4 with 225/75/15 tires.

The only time I needed four wheel drive was when I got high centered on a rock trying to avoid an extra deep crossing, but clearance was a problem in quite a few spots.

It could be better, or worse by now, but as of last Thanksgiving the western end of that route was no fun!

edit; I don't want to get too far off track with this post. If this is not the right time and place for feedback, send a U2U and I will delete this.

[Edited on 12-31-2017 by AKgringo]

David K - 12-31-2017 at 01:57 PM

Thank you, MulegeAl and AKgringo. I think I will add a 4WD note on the San Raymundo road... Better safe than sorry!

As for the high road, I am sure surprised as the sections north and south of the Salina road junctions were a dirt highway and very well graded. If you didn't know to go through El Dátil, there is nothing to alert you to not use the high road. It seemed (last August) that the main traffic flow goes that way and the El Dátil route is a local fish camp road and not the preferred north/south road???

Happy New Year!:bounce:

MulegeAL - 12-31-2017 at 02:50 PM

DK,
Hard to judge at the Salina road junction based on wear marks. Farther up we stayed with the high road as the locals we were following peeled off To El Patrocino. I asked the locals about the road to El P and they said it was OK. They were driving a classic beat up Ford Ranger, loaded.

So naturally we took the other way that was washed out!

Last season we saw lots of traffic on the low road, we were camped just north of El Datil. IMHO, if it's not wet, that is the way to go. If it was wet, I'd try the route through El Patrocino next time.

I concur with AK's assessment of the San Raymundo route. It's hard for me to stay up on the pegs for the long arroyo rock sections. The fast easy dirt sections that were there for most of that road 10/12 years ago are long gone.

I started taking the "shortcut" over the mesa to Cadeje a few years ago, but it is now way rough too. Still great fun (for me), and it puts me close to rancho pals up towards La Vinorama.

I just went through my forks, the back roads here unscrewed the damper rod on one side, so the bars were jumping up and down as much as my front wheel!

TMW - 12-31-2017 at 03:04 PM

Maybe the road is better maintained to San Jose de Gracia but not thru to El Cuarenta and further north. The Last time I was at El Cuarenta Martin said the road north was in very bad shape and told us to go west where we could pick up the road north of El Datil and we did.

San Juanico Map-2

David K - 12-31-2017 at 03:31 PM

OK, I added 4WD on the San Raymundo road and To San Ignacio and Las Barrancas on the edges, for those routes. Also, made the airplane icon smaller and touched up the paved road some.

David K - 12-31-2017 at 03:49 PM

Thanks guys...
I think I am done with this one... As I did not drive the El Patrocinio road I am hesitant to show the road from there to Cuarenta. I am showing the roads that I am because they were either driven and logged by me or I mentioned them in the guide. While I would love to show more, that may just confuse the easy-to-read map view for the guide? IF I ever do the next Baja Almanac, then I want to know all these roads you have traveled and I want to travel, too.
Happy New Year!
I will be making the next map while most of you are at parties! My esposa is visiting her mother in Henderson and hopes to see the fireworks above Vegas tonight. I am home with our cats!

First Map of 2018

David K - 1-1-2018 at 02:28 AM

Happy New Year!

Udo - 1-1-2018 at 10:46 AM

Happiest of New Year's David!

I wanted to thank you for the designation of 4WD on your custom maps. It really helps in determining future adventure in the off-road challenges of Baja.

David K - 1-1-2018 at 11:05 AM

Happy New Year to you too!

While I would probably recommend everyone have a 4WD vehicle who leaves the pavement in Baja, the reality that in dry weather one rarely NEEDS 4WD to travel most dirt roads.

I will put 4WD next to roads that had places where 4WD made the drive either possible or a whole lot safer. In some cases the extra ground clearance of a 4WD is needed because of rocks or ruts, but not the traction.

Obviously, a bulldozer or grader can make a bad 4WD road passable in 2WD or a flash flood can make a good graded road need 4WD. So, these are suggestions or recommendations. Driving skill has a whole lot to do with needing 4WD or ground clearance.

I am sure glad to hear from Nomads as I can taylor these maps based on your comments.

I bet I will eventually add mileages to them. Not necessarily for the guidebook but for posts on Nomad.

4x4abc - 1-1-2018 at 11:30 AM

what is K37 for?

mtgoat666 - 1-1-2018 at 11:40 AM

Happy New Year to you too!

While I would probably recommend everyone have a 4WD vehicle who leaves the pavement in Baja, the reality that in dry weather one rarely NEEDS 4WD to travel most dirt roads.

I will put 4WD next to roads that had places where 4WD made the drive either possible or a whole lot safer. In some cases the extra ground clearance of a 4WD is needed because of rocks or ruts, but not the traction.

Obviously, a bulldozer or grader can make a bad 4WD road passable in 2WD or a flash flood can make a good graded road need 4WD. So, these are suggestions or recommendations. Driving skill has a whole lot to do with needing 4WD or ground clearance.

I am sure glad to hear from Nomads as I can taylor these maps based on your comments.

I bet I will eventually add mileages to them. Not necessarily for the guidebook but for posts on Nomad.

Dk,
The most common way to draw maps is to use different line types for road type.
For conventional line types, see forest service maps.
You may be better off with 3 line types: paved, unpaved/maintained, unpaved/not maintained.

David K - 1-1-2018 at 02:02 PM

what is K37 for?

It is where the highway crosses Arroyo La Purísima... that is in the road log and showing it on the map helps see the direction the kilometer markers are running on that road, if just glancing at the map.

Again, the maps are connected to the road logs in the guide... so I know they may not be totally clear when looked at without the guide text. I am only putting the actual kilometer points on the map, so you will see that marker when you pass that point. Many of the points in the road log are between kilometer markers. If I have a marker for that point on the map, it will be a whole number and put just above or below the map point.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mtgoat666:
Yes, I would love to show three or more road types. I did try to do that on my earlier ones and if the road is being paved, I show it as two parallel lines (see the road to La Bocana from Abreojos, for example).

However, the choices I have do make that VERY difficult to do. One problem is the Arc base map only has the one single line for me to trace over satellite images of roads I want to show. Only Hwy. 1 is on the base map. All other paved or dirt roads, I need to trace over then I switch the base map from satellite to the one you see above that shows the mountains, etc.

When I paste the base map over to Word to add everything else, I need to redraw over the paved roads (other than Hwy. 1) and adjust the color and width. If I want parallel lines for dirt roads or dashed lines for poor roads, then the trace line drawn on Arc is also there and a real mess to try and draw over or erase with a color the same as the map surface. To not draw in the roads on the base map would mean roads I add over on Word may not be exactly placed right and I would have to switch back and forth between windows to try and draw in the road where it is. I did that on the road to Mission Santa María, and that was no fun to do!

Ideally: solid thick black lines for paved roads, parallel thin lines for dirt roads, cross lines inside the parallel lines for graded roads, dashed parallel lines for poor roads.
Until I learn how to do that, the guide will describe the roads... beyond where I put 4WD on the map in a few places.
Thank you for the observations.

[Edited on 1-1-2018 by David K]

Today's Work

David K - 1-1-2018 at 06:04 PM

After I made this, I noticed I forgot to include a gas pump icon by Mulegé. If you guys see anything else that needs addressing, I won't do the add-on until later... Thank you!

David K - 1-1-2018 at 07:20 PM

Here's a revised map I had made early on, of the roads to the missions and beyond from Cd. Constitución to San Evaristo...

I decided to thicken up Highway 1 and make it black to stand out from the base version.

MulegeAL - 1-2-2018 at 09:02 AM

After I made this, I noticed I forgot to include a gas pump icon by Mulegé. If you guys see anything else that needs addressing, I won't do the add-on until later... Thank you!

DK,
Happy New Map!

The green line going south (towards Paso Hondo) where you show the 4WD symbol: that section is impassible, not even "dotted green line". The destroyed section starts at the bottom of the Chuparossa canyon on the north side of the pass and continues up almost to the pass.

I went up there, walked up a half mile beyond where I could barely climb with my good bike. The local rancho guys park at the corral at the bottom and ride in with mules, walking them through the worst sections. Had tailgate Nescafé with them and discussed the area.

The next pass to the south is also impassible, the one just north of rancho Guajademi. I haven't seen that myself for 3 seasons, but I have no reason to doubt the advice of local rancho guys.

Suggest milage be suffixed as "MM" >> Mexico Miles! They are way longer than USA miles!

David K - 1-2-2018 at 10:13 AM

Good morning Al,
Thanks for that. I thought Kurt G drove his Explorer over it not too long ago?

EDIT: His trip was in 2012. The rains of 2014 and after sure did a number on the roads, such as the one from San Jose de Magdalena up to Mission Guadalupe.

So, the road south of La Trinidad where it climbs the mountain is gone and not likely to be fixed anytime soon, eh?

Kurt's Trip on that road (I added some extra spacing):

Trip Report/road log San Isidro-Mulege Mountain Route 3/22/2012

For reference our vehicle is a 2000 Explorer stock Bauer Ed. with 255/70/16 Michelin street tires run at about 22#.

The report is a mileage log and includes GPS data and elevation for key points. The log is as accurate as Garmin and Ford's odometer could provide.

Mile Zero is starting North from San Isidro at 26.12.866x112.01.577.
Excellent road to Purisima Vieja at mile 12.3 then to Paso Hondo at mile 15.4. Both are oasis villages with some great scenery.

Mile 17.8-Springs and ponds on left.
Mile 18.3-Small village.
Mile 21.2-water crossing/palms and on to Buenos Aires at mile 25.9.
Mile 29.1-Agua Grande
Mile 32.2. 26.32.962x112.06.834. Elev.2100. Sign: El Llano straight, Guajadami to the right. Go straight.

From here the road is steep and rocky with a lot of erosion. Low range used to the top of high plateau at Mile 36.7. Elev. 3350 at 26.35.899x112.07.222.

Mile 37. Incredible views of deep gorge on right. Continue to climb to:
Mile 39.1. 26.37.146x112.06.743. Elev. 3765. High point overlooking the broad expanse of El Llano below. This is where the road ended when I attempted this route some 15 years ago. The descending cuesta was the most difficult of the entire trip. Steep, sometimes narrow and off camber and rough eroded rock with lots of loose stuff. This is an area to use extreme caution. We crept down in low range, 1st gear to arrive in the flats of El Llano at:

Mile 40.6. 26.37.786x112.07.153. Elev. 2616. At this point we met a rancher with a Ford F350 4wd and a cattle rack who had 3-4 cattle loaded. We told him we were going to Mulege and he said he was as well. That gave us a better feeling about actually completing the trip since I didn't feel we could climb back up that previous cuesta or at least really didn't want to attempt it. He confirmed that that plateau is El Llano. As we started up the next grade we saw him starting behind us. A rough ride for those cows! The road continues up and down a bit before a gate at the top of the final cuesta at:

Mile 43.1. 26.39.029x112.08.07. Elev. 3429. Now down the cuesta, steep and rough but not nearly as bad as the earlier one. There has been traffic up and down this area since we were on it and turned back a few months ago. I think we could now go up this one ok.

Mile 46.2. 26.40.320x112.07.130. elev. 1346. This position is right by the ranch at the bottom of the cuesta. Rancho El Llanito, I believe. It is relatively new. This is the important coordinate for anyone doing this trip north to south since it is not shown on the maps and in my experience the Baja Atlas and other maps are only an approximation of the roads in this area. From this point you are on the road that goes straight to Mulege.

There are occasional roads that come in from both side notably at Mile 50.8 which has a sign pointing to Rcho El Llanito. I believe the other fork here leads to the area of El Potrero and El Batiqui and the appropriately named Pia de la Cuesta Guajadami. I have motorcycled in that area but not since the hurricanes changed some of the roads a few years ago. Note that I have not called this the Guajadami Road since it splits off from the old mission route and is generally to the west of it. Continue straight into Mulege arriving at Hwy 1 (icehouse road junction) at MILE 67.3. This trip took about 6 hours so an average speed of about 10 mph. Thanks to Mulegena for the trip report on Baja Nomads that inspired us to do this trip. The scenery was wonderful although I would still rank the San Juan de la Pila road as the slightly more spectacular but I am really splitting hairs on that call. Do them both and tell me what you think!
Kurt and Kathy, March 22, 2012

I blotted out the road up the mountain and beyond...

[Edited on 1-2-2018 by David K]

MulegeAL - 1-2-2018 at 05:12 PM

DK,
Thanks for posting up that old report, brings back memories (good and bad!)

2012 is before Hurc Paul did that road in for good. I did it with my neighbor about that time, last time I have done the whole route, S to N.

There used to be a Ford pickup in the valley there, and that screws with my head. I think it was left there, or there is another way in and out that I do not know of.

It's so near, yet so far, hence my interest in getting back in there before (or when) I die! And there are other interesting places there that are worth a day hike with a machete to access.

I am thinking access may be possible from the south, but it will be a project to get in there and north past rancho Guajadami.

David K - 1-2-2018 at 06:28 PM

Did my edit of the map meet with your approval to show the road not going through? I very much appreciate the feedback. I have made 3 base maps to cover La Paz to Cabo, so I will soon have those ready. Not sure if I need more of Baja Sur illustrated in maps, but they would be San Ignacio to near Punta Chivato, Loreto to Cd. Constitucion, Mag Bay. Stay tuned!

KurtG - 1-2-2018 at 08:26 PM

David,
Fun to see that trip report from almost 6 years ago. It is spectacular country back there and I am glad we were able to take advantage of the short time that the road was doable, at least for our rig. There were a couple of times that I had doubts about being on that route by ourselves but it worked out. That old Explorer is still going strong at over 300k miles and will be back in Baja Sur in a couple of months.
Kurt

edit: David, I have good pics of that trip. If you would like to see/use them I can put them on disc or a thumb drive and send them to you.

[Edited on 1-3-2018 by KurtG]

MulegeAL - 1-3-2018 at 08:34 AM

DK,
Your edit looks good to me! The sign/junction mentioned in Kurt's report at mile 32.2 is likely as far as one can get these days, and a fair ending for your map. Maybe a bit farther, or off to the east to the rancho Guajademi. That may be more detail than you want to show.

Too bad, as the canyon view he mentions farther up at m37 is spectacular.

I went back into my files. Last time I was at that junction was Feb 15, 2014, and we went all the way through back to Mulege. The grades at the passes were very difficult and eroded. We had serious brake problems on my pal's buggy going down. That was over a year after hurricane Paul. So it was the next hurricane that took out the passes.

Hope to get back in there this year and "find the end of the road."

David K - 1-3-2018 at 12:44 PM

Great to hear, Al...
Hi Kurt, thanks for your popping in!
If the road is not passable it may be a cruel tease to show the photos? LOL

I have maps to work on for the Baja Bound Road Guide... so that will keep me occupied for a bit... just taking a break!

4x4abc - 1-4-2018 at 01:08 PM

El Califia = Califin

Los Divasaderos = Los Divisaderos

Ensenada de los Muertos = Ensenada de los Sueños

El Magote = El Mogote

David K - 1-4-2018 at 04:03 PM

Great Harald... thank you!
I got an email from Rob with many of those comments. Mogote spelling was indeed my error! I used my ears and not my eyes!

As for Divisaderos, that is the historic (1962) and current (2009) Almanac and last (2010) AAA spelling. So, a typo I will fix!

Califin, got it! That is what my notes say, too.

Los Sueños is a marketing name. Los Muertos is the historic name and I am the history nut... There was nothing much of interest at the Los Sueños site... all the action was at the boat landing, restaurant, and the old ore loading dock of Ensenada de los Muertos.

Thank you!!

[Edited on 1-4-2018 by David K]

4x4abc - 1-4-2018 at 04:09 PM

what is the base software you use for your maps (the landscape background)?

La Paz Area with edits, thanks to rob and 4x4abc

David K - 1-4-2018 at 04:19 PM

David K - 1-4-2018 at 04:36 PM

what is the base software you use for your maps (the landscape background)?

Earlier (in the How to make maps 101 thread) I showed all the steps and even named the mapping website I get the base (terrain) map from.

Here again, are the steps I have been doing... takes me about a day per map, depends on the amount of detail...

Step 1 is to pick a region of Baja. So far, I have done two scales as you can see from the scale bars on the maps. One is 6 km. bar and allows better detail if many roads or points are in the area of interest. The other is 10 km. and can cover from Pacific to Cortez or larger areas of Baja. This is the scale I am doing more at.

The next map I will make will be from the bottom of my previous one, approx. Punta Rosarito on the Pacific and Pancho's San Rafael, on the gulf south to the state border.

Here is the base map at 10 km. scale and basically it gives you the coastline, mountains, and Highway 1, almost nothing else. Maps are all oriented with north at the top, but I add a compass rose because I think it is cool to have one on a map.

This is my base map, without enhancement, everything else you will see I add to it. I cropped the bottom of it at the state border and I removed a small toolbar for changing the size of the map by coloring over it, if you have good color vision, you may see the slightly different shade of blue in the upper left corner:

So, besides topography and the ocean/gulf only Highway 1 is shown and the state name along the border.

STEP 2
Add in the roads I want to show. These are roads I traveled this year that are being included in the Guide (exception is the Valle La Bocana road). Other than Highway 1, all the roads are hand drawn in traced from the satellite image. The base map can be switched from the Road map to Satellite image, then a pencil or line tool allows one to draw in the roads desired.

Next step (after a break, as I am exhausted and hungry) will be to add in icons for highway signs, gas pumps, airports, missions, the compass and scale bar. I also then add in the place names and small black squares or circles for places on the map.

STEP 3: Add most of the rest! Names, Symbols, Icons, I even added a road I forget to earlier (to La Unión). I think I just need to add Km. markers along Hwy. 1 and then enhance the image...

STEP 4: Add in the kilometer markers at the desired locations. Again, these additions are all done in Word. The text is added in using the Text Box: Draw Text Box choice. The font size is adjusted if needed and generally, I make the font bold to be easier to read. For terrain/ocean names I use a different font. The whole idea is to customize to fit the map.
Besides adding the km. marker points, I also noticed I needed to add a road out to the old Laguna Guerrero Negro salt dock.
Finally, I enhance the map colors in my Photobucket hosting Photo Editing feature.

I can always go back to the map, saved in Word, and add more.

The steps from Word to Nomad are numerous and perhaps there is a better way. This just how I figured out how, so if you want to do the same, maybe it will help?

A) Get Base Map. I used ArcGIS and chose the base map "Streets" but flipped back to "Imagery" (satellite view) and edited with "Map Notes" to draw in roads. Once done, I use Print Screen (on the keyboard) and then Paint, Paste, Save... convert PNG to JPEG, Save. Then go to Documents, Pictures, Edit, Crop, Close File.

B) Open up Word and pick a blank sheet and the Insert, Picture (pick the maps I just saved in Pictures), and begin to add in icons, roads, text all using Insert (Pictures, Shapes, Text Box).

C) When done, click on the map, click Format, click Corrections and fine tune the map image, if needed. Have the map (on Word) as large as the window will allow without cutting the map off and then perform the Print/Paste operation again (Paint, Paste, Save... convert PNG to JPEG, Save. Then go to Documents, Pictures, Edit, Crop, Close File).

Anyway, that is my method (for now) and if you want to try and make maps to show, I hope this tutorial will be of assistance. Feel free to email or u2u me any questions.

[Edited on 1-5-2018 by David K]

advrider - 1-4-2018 at 09:09 PM

Love these maps, I like them with the mileage like you did on the first one. What about just making the numbers smaller? Could these maps and the KM page that you made be pinned at the top of one of the pages to make it easier to find at a later date?

David K - 1-4-2018 at 09:56 PM

Thanks advrider!
When the maps are done, refined, and you guys find all my silly errors, I will do a new post with them all... or, you can get the Baja Bound Book when it's (if it's) published.

David K - 1-5-2018 at 10:50 AM

OK, well... having refined my work using these 'caveman methods' on the computer (yes, I have heard Photoshop is a whole lot easier, etc.)... Here is my new version of the Gonzaga Bay area map. Which was one of my first areas to do over a month ago... Please, your reviews:

Remember, what is on the map is limited by what is mentioned in the roadguide. Mileages along the dirt roads are in the roadguide so as to not clutter up the map too much. The maps are to complement the roadguide so the reader can "see" where places in the guide text are, in relation to other places.

I hope to have newer samples of the roadguide for you to see soon, following all the editing since the previous version I have shared here.

David K - 1-5-2018 at 07:59 PM

Here's another remake of an earlier map... that goes just south of the above map of Gonzaga Bay... including the new Highway 5 route:

David K - 1-6-2018 at 11:46 AM

Once I finish the maps down the peninsula I want to have for the guide, I think I will do another set of them for Baja Nomads and other amigos with mileages on selected dirt roads... as I know how all of us Baja map nerds enjoy the Auto Club (and some roads in the Almanac) maps that have the mileages included.

I have two more maps to make to cover La Paz to Cabo and I may make ones to include San Ignacio to Santa Rosalía and the San Quintín area, both places are not covered by the ones I have made so far.

Viva Baja everyone!

David K - 1-7-2018 at 03:48 PM

Ok, I have gone over all the previous maps I have made, done touch-ups and additions... here is the San Pedro Mártir area one with the upgrades... Now, I will get back and do the last two going to Cabo. I just had to upgrade all the ones I made already before continuing.

Okay, back to Baja Sur!

David K - 1-8-2018 at 03:46 AM

The next area, south of La Paz that show roads I was on last August or have mentioned in my roadguide... Feedback is welcome! Did I make any typos or brain farts with names? Thank you!

One more to go for the peninsula and then maybe a couple more fill in maps, if I think they are needed.

When you see the guide, it works well without maps. However, I love maps and a Baja book should always have maps, IMO! They help you to see where you are in proximity to other places.

MulegeAL - 1-8-2018 at 08:39 AM

DK,
Nice maps, thanks. Can't come to publication soon enough.

Last evening I was commenting on GPS tracks some visiting riders had on smartphones. The data and tracks they were using around here show 4 rideable through-routes out of the western valley, when in reality there is only one now, due to hurricane damage.

They had been balked by the impassible road damage south of San Jose de Magdelena towards the Guadelupe mission and had to backtrack out, so they were ready to listen to local advice.

There is something about a displayed GPS track that travelers want to believe is real, maybe because they are so convenient to use when they are right.

David K - 1-8-2018 at 11:02 AM

Yes Al, gps tracks, maps, and guidebooks are only really accurate the day they are made and natural or human activity can quickly change everything!

StuckSucks - 1-8-2018 at 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MulegeAL  
They had been balked by the impassible road damage south of San Jose de Magdelena towards the Guadelupe mission and had to backtrack out, so they were ready to listen to local advice.

Isn't this where either Darwin or Common Sense wins? The GPS is a magical tool, but you also have to balance that data with your street smarts.

advrider - 1-8-2018 at 03:54 PM

I'm guessing the missing section of the 4WD road going East past Mission Santa Maria turning to the El Camino Real and then coming out near KM159 is where the Bill Nichole's trail ran/runs? Has anyone been able to ride it in recent years? I read an old report on here of someone running it years back but wondered if it still existed? Maps are looking good!

advrider - 1-8-2018 at 04:03 PM

I agree with GPS tracks as a guide, not as the holly grail! If the tracks turn from two track to a goat trail and then down a raging river bed, chances are something has changed! I use them a lot, but if I haven't ridding a track I always keep my eyes and options open. There are some good stories of people driving into lakes and rivers following tracks!

PaulW - 1-8-2018 at 05:03 PM

How about the 18 wheeler - big tractor and a 53' trailer - tried to go over Engineer Pass in Colorado. He got hung up on the first turn and it took a week to get him back to Silverton. He said his GPS told him it was a good road.

David K - 1-8-2018 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
I'm guessing the missing section of the 4WD road going East past Mission Santa Maria turning to the El Camino Real and then coming out near KM159 is where the Bill Nichole's trail ran/runs? Has anyone been able to ride it in recent years? I read an old report on here of someone running it years back but wondered if it still existed? Maps are looking good!

The El Camino Real from just east of Mission Santa María to the desert near Gonzaga Bay is only for hikers or very good mules! It was too dangerous for Graham's mule back in 1997, however. It is not a Bill Nichols Trail m/c trail.
One motorcyclist has proven to me to have made it (long ago) from Gonzaga to the mission and back on ECR, and that was Kevin Ward (Dust to Glory producer, Baja racer). I think it is also 'normal' to say Malcolm Smith has also done it.
You can expect to dump your ride and have a burnt clutch if you try... great harm may come as you are next to the steep canyon side for many parts of the trail!

Los Cabos Map!

David K - 1-8-2018 at 05:35 PM

Have a look amigos... let me know if what I have included seem correct.

The whole San Lucas-San José corridor is a big zoo/ city. I did show three places you can access the beach.. the rest is hotels, condos, and you are lucky if you can see the water from the highway now!

Yes, that is the Naranjos Road at K55 and I am not showing it crossing the mountains because it has been plagued by constant rain damage and I think it is just wiser to not make it look like any kind of shortcut.

Here is what I have in my road log:

Km. 54.5 The Los Naranjos Road. A sometimes-challenging route over the top of the mountains to the Pacific side, it is frequently damaged by summer storms.

[Edited on 1-9-2018 by David K]

4x4abc - 1-8-2018 at 05:38 PM

I have hiked the missionary trail to Santa Maria many times. I have seen MC tracks on it on occasion. Did not think it was too difficult for MCs. I have a strong suspicion that Arturo Gross worked this trail. No other part of the camino real north or south is in as good shape as this one.

David K - 1-8-2018 at 05:48 PM

I have hiked the missionary trail to Santa Maria many times. I have seen MC tracks on it on occasion. Did not think it was too difficult for MCs. I have a strong suspicion that Arturo Gross worked this trail. No other part of the camino real north or south is in as good shape as this one.

Arturo Grosso and Dick Daggett are both responsible for many mine supply roads between Gonzaga and Chapala/ Calamajué. Their trails were more of wagon roads, however.

I am not sure if the goat trail size ECR being discussed here along the cliffside is anything more than the mission trail built sometime after the Franciscans arrived. Serra used the Jesuit (Indian) trail, in the canyon, and that climbed out on what we have been calling the Indian Trail (goes up from the canyon bottom by the pretty oasis many take photos at).

It was so bad and dangerous for pack animals he instructed a new trail be made... and that is the one up on the ridgeline. Also, Serra had the cargo trail made which is north of the mission valley. It was used for establishing San Fernando mission... and then by the Dominicans for their California missions (El Rosario and beyond).

advrider - 1-8-2018 at 06:01 PM

Ward, that was the account I read about on here... Not sure I would want to ride it as much as I like a challenge! I was thinking more along the lines of hiking. Does anyone know of any moto's running it after Ward?

David K - 1-8-2018 at 06:15 PM

Quads (side-by-sides?), but it is very skinny in spots!

advrider - 1-8-2018 at 06:38 PM

I've got a few choices, well built jeep scrambler, SXS and a few bikes, but I'm wondering how long of a hike from the end of the road? Is there still a single track that motos are taking?

[Edited on 1-9-2018 by advrider]

David K - 1-8-2018 at 06:43 PM

Ok... maybe a thread on the Gonzaga Bay area El Camino Real is warranted? You can see much of it on the latest satellite images, too!
Emerson (from Mexicali) and his friends tried to hike it, but ran short of time and turned back. The same thing happened to my son and me in 2003... Got about 2/3 of the way to the mission.

TMW - 1-8-2018 at 06:47 PM

David on your map of Gonzaga Bay you show a 4WD road lower right from Molino de Lacy as a dashed line. On the next map you show it as a solid line.

David K - 1-8-2018 at 07:03 PM

Yes, the two were made at different times and I have been trying different ways to show roads. The Gonzaga area map is also at a closer-in (larger) scale than the others. So, while I have been trying to standardize all twenty-something maps I have made, each one is still unique and individual, but more so with the Gonzaga map.
Thank you for the question.

4x4abc - 1-8-2018 at 07:16 PM

the 4WD road out of Molino de Lacy should be a dashed line - it is quite rough for a 4x4

4x4abc - 1-8-2018 at 07:37 PM

Ok... maybe a thread on the Gonzaga Bay area El Camino Real is warranted? You can see much of it on the latest satellite images, too!
Emerson (from Mexicali) and his friends tried to hike it, but ran short of time and turned back. The same thing happened to my son and me in 2003... Got about 2/3 of the way to the mission.

the old Indian trail in the Arroyo Santa Maria from where the road turns left to Las Palmitas to Mission Santa Maria is a solid 8 hour hike. Tough in some spots. Add an hour if you don't know the easier mesa sections in the canyon. Add 2 hours if you miss the climb out of the canyon at 29°43'0.81"N, 114°31'11.13"W. The beautiful pool at 29°42'52.22"N, 114°31'29.64"W will make you turn around if you are not a good cliff climber.

The Camino Real over the ridge line is an easy hike. On average a 10% grade up as well as down. About 7 miles. Usuallay takes me 3 to 4 hours.

David K - 1-8-2018 at 10:24 PM

the 4WD road out of Molino de Lacy should be a dashed line - it is quite rough for a 4x4

It is:

I didn't treat the same road further south the same, but did put 4WD next to it by the Pioneer Mine.

David K - 1-9-2018 at 03:40 AM

The 25 maps in their first edition are posted in the Road Conditions forum: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88771

marv sherrill - 1-9-2018 at 12:58 PM

David - will these be available in AAA type maps - all one piece? They are really nice and distinct!

David K - 1-9-2018 at 02:15 PM

Hi Marv, my plan is that they will be inside the Baja Bound Road Guide to supplement my road logs. The maps are not very stand alone without mileage figures on the dirt roads, in my opinion. The maps don't even show all of Baja, just some areas I think they are most useful. San Quintín, Santa Rosalía, Puertecitos, Magdalena Bay are some places I have not (yet) made a map to show.

If you go to the thread were the maps all are now, I outline my idea for that.

Thank you for your comments!
I still miss the Baja Calendar you made for so many years, very much!

Here is where the maps are all together, now: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88771

steekers - 10-5-2020 at 03:28 PM

OK, well... having refined my work using these 'caveman methods' on the computer (yes, I have heard Photoshop is a whole lot easier, etc.)... Here is my new version of the Gonzaga Bay area map. Which was one of my first areas to do over a month ago... Please, your reviews:

Remember, what is on the map is limited by what is mentioned in the roadguide. Mileages along the dirt roads are in the roadguide so as to not clutter up the map too much. The maps are to complement the roadguide so the reader can "see" where places in the guide text are, in relation to other places.

I hope to have newer samples of the roadguide for you to see soon, following all the editing since the previous version I have shared here.

David: Using Google Earth on an IPad, I notice the name "Oasis Santa Maria o Pozo la Escuadra" in green font and don't see it on your map. This watering hole is quite the place for swimming but looks like a hike is needed. If you click on the green type and open up the photos, you see some jeeps as if they made it all the way from Hwy 5 wash entry. Seems rather impossible for those jeeps to climb over the boulders.

David K - 10-5-2020 at 04:33 PM

The road going west at Km. 159 is the access to Pozo Escuadra from Hwy. 5. You can drive to where the solid line ends on my map (and the El Camino Real heads north)... Hike up the canyon the ~2-3 miles to that oasis.

I didn't hike all the way... When I found a pool big enough, that's where I took a dip! >>>

We arrive at the Santa Maria 'river' where it disappears beneath the sands.

Year-round refreshment in the lower Santa Maria canyon. The surrounding barren desert gives no clue to the quantity of water found here.

You can also get to Pozo Escuadra from Mission Santa María by using the washed out road to the canyon rim look-out, then hiking down the "Indian Trail" (also the first El Camino Real route 1767-1769). See the aerial photo I took of it in 1999:

It isn't in my road guide because no road goes to it and it is best done on a backpacking adventure. There are other pools with palms along Arroyo Santa María, too.