BajaNomad

Pemex Warning.... Mulege....

micah202 - 1-24-2018 at 03:39 PM

...I'm pretty sure the Pemex on highway, just south of Mulege is ripping at least 20 to 25% over the actual liter count., possibly as much as 1/3!!!!
I keep a tight watch on fuel consumption , with a chart that shows me liter range for mileage done. Either I suddenly went to ~13mpg from a steady average of 23 to 26mpg,, or this station is ripping HARD!!!!

This is also the first station I've come across that wouldn't issue a proper printed receipt,, just a hand scrawl of the total pesos. <;~\

[Edited on 1-24-2018 by micah202]

David K - 1-24-2018 at 03:52 PM

Yep, I concur that this station is able to put over 21 liters in a 19 liter can, no problem. The little station in town is reportedly owned by the same man, so no other choices here.

micah202 - 1-24-2018 at 04:27 PM

...I've taken a strategy of filling when possible by the time I'm half tank,, that way nobody gets --too-- much of a windfall. <;~l

micah202 - 1-24-2018 at 04:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Yep, I concur that this station is able to put over 21 liters in a 19 liter can, no problem. The little station in town is reportedly owned by the same man, so no other choices here.

We're you able to confront the situation when it's as overt as that?

chuckie - 1-24-2018 at 04:41 PM

LOL!! Confront it with whom? They have been doing this for YEARS!

David K - 1-24-2018 at 04:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by micah202  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

We're you able to confront the situation when it's as overt as that?

Oh no, I was in no way assuming I could change their business practice... It is just the cost of driving in Baja. It is just a "local tax" and less than the gas tax forced on us here in California, recently! I feel sad for Mexican citizens who live in the area, cannot afford to drive around on vacation, and have not stood up to or even bother to protest this con. Profecta is supposed to check pumps and fine violators. Baja is just so remote for too much of this consumer protection, it seems?

chuckie - 1-24-2018 at 05:29 PM

Mordida arriba...

willyAirstream - 1-24-2018 at 07:42 PM

There has been protests, boycotts, video recordings on FB etc. After the last surge of FB videos and fotos, the in town station closed for a week, rumored to be closed by the owner. Driving to SR to fill up is still cheaper than Mulege. ( if you know which stations in SR are legit)

Mulege pemex

chumlee57 - 1-24-2018 at 08:28 PM

I don't go to mulege that often for gas, typically SR pemex just north of the harbor, but never to the one just south of town past the tope on the right, that one will pull the ol "Hey, ur tire is low on air over here" trick. Not much of anything anybody can do, but post it here for people to see, stay alert and thirsty my friends

micah202 - 1-24-2018 at 10:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
There has been protests, boycotts, video recordings on FB etc. After the last surge of FB videos and fotos, the in town station closed for a week, rumored to be closed by the owner. Driving to SR to fill up is still cheaper than Mulege. ( if you know which stations in SR are legit)

That in-town station is currently closed, not sure the reason, but there's yellow-tape across the entrance.

I don't really expect muchwhen it comes to confronting a 'situation',, but wondered what they reply to something as clear-cut as more liters than a certified container will hold,lol.

Certainly I appreciate knowing any stations further south that are worth avoiding. <;~]

micah202 - 1-24-2018 at 10:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chumlee57  
I don't go to mulege that often for gas, typically SR pemex just north of the harbor, but never to the one just south of town past the tope on the right, that one will pull the ol "Hey, ur tire is low on air over here" trick. Not much of anything anybody can do, but post it here for people to see, stay alert and thirsty my friends

...seemed like the SR station just to south of town cut a square deal on fuel for me this time.

...methinks I'll ask for a specific # of liters in the future., that way, if a station is undershooting their liters, I'll make a minimum 'tax' for fuelling up. <;~l

LancairDriver - 1-24-2018 at 11:11 PM

To check their pumps, bring along an empty 5 gallon gas can and have them fill that first. It should hold 18.927 liters, or very close to 19 liters. If more there is a problem and deal with it as you will.

[Edited on 1-25-2018 by LancairDriver]

mtnpop - 1-25-2018 at 08:41 AM

Well, arguing with the guy at the pump is kinda like complaining to the checkout person at Walmart about a price you were charged for an item.. He/she has no control over what you are charged or receive as they are only the end to the means.
Of course they can report the complaints to mgmt. or the owner but you are not going to get any action at the POS...
I am sure he/she has heard it over and over and over but just collect their basic pay and what ever they can maybe skim out of your change.
and not all do that....
Mulege stations have been notorious for this for many years... my 18L can always can hold about 21L .
We were always told to watch which pump most of the locals go to as it might not be adjusted the same... don't know if that is fact but is a good story, not sure the owner cares either way.

John Harper - 1-25-2018 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
To check their pumps, bring along an empty 5 gallon gas can and have them fill that first. It should hold 18.927 liters, or very close to 19 liters. If less there is a problem and deal with it as you will.

Don't you mean if there is more than 19 liters registered there is a problem?

John

micah202 - 1-25-2018 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtnpop  

Mulege stations have been notorious for this for many years... my 18L can always can hold about 21L .
We were always told to watch which pump most of the locals go to as it might not be adjusted the same... don't know if that is fact but is a good story, not sure the owner cares either way.

well,, come to think of it,, there was a line up of cars at one pump, a cone in front of another.... just as we pulled up, a fellow 'kindly' ran over, opened up the 2nd pump.... 'just for us'!! <;~/

chuckie - 1-25-2018 at 09:21 AM

BUT! Its really GOOD gas!

Cancamo - 1-25-2018 at 09:47 AM

One of the worst, well known for many years.
For a bit of humor ask if they have "litros completos".

LancairDriver - 1-25-2018 at 10:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
To check their pumps, bring along an empty 5 gallon gas can and have them fill that first. It should hold 18.927 liters, or very close to 19 liters. If less there is a problem and deal with it as you will.

Don't you mean if there is more than 19 liters registered there is a problem?

John

Thanks John, my error. I edited less to more on the post.

TMW - 1-25-2018 at 10:57 AM

I carry the clear 5 gallon plastic gas can used by most off road motorcycle riders. They are marked in liters and gallons. When I have them filled at a PEMEX station I ask for 20 liters.

AKgringo - 1-25-2018 at 11:17 AM

At the Pemex just west of the La Paz airport turn off, you may be directed to the center set of pumps. They are tank stretchers! The locals don't use them, you shouldn't either! (year old info)

micah202 - 1-25-2018 at 09:58 PM

AK...what s a year,, when 5_makes no more difference;?

Wonder how Loreto and LaPaz r doin?

Hendo - 1-26-2018 at 07:37 AM

Has anyone ever used the gas pump at the boat marina in Santa Rosalia. What was the price comparison to in town?

rts551 - 1-26-2018 at 08:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I carry the clear 5 gallon plastic gas can used by most off road motorcycle riders. They are marked in liters and gallons. When I have them filled at a PEMEX station I ask for 20 liters.

So do I. The station south of Vizcaino use to be the only station around with premium. When the 20 litrs only came up to 17 in the can and I complained, the attendant offered to pour it back. Some stations do not care.

willyAirstream - 1-26-2018 at 08:22 AM

Hendo....it is the same price and is always honest. It is the fav among locals. Any Pemex with a waiting line is usually honest.

Hendo - 1-27-2018 at 08:50 AM

Willy I was referring to the pump on the water.

willyAirstream - 1-27-2018 at 09:54 AM

Hendo, Yes, I am talking about the same pump, big tanks at the Marina.

4x4abc - 1-28-2018 at 05:07 PM

http://litroscompletos.eluniversal.com.mx/