BajaNomad

Highway 5?

gringorio - 9-28-2018 at 11:31 AM

Hola! Does anyone know if highway 5 is now paved all the way from Bahia Gonzaga to highway 1?

Thanks!

motoged - 9-28-2018 at 11:49 AM

Current thread:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=91221

JZ - 9-28-2018 at 03:58 PM

Not all, but some new parts opened and the other parts are graded really well.

chuckie - 9-28-2018 at 04:01 PM

YES

Mateo-Feo - 10-13-2018 at 11:38 AM

Well not after the rain came through. Bunch of roads are washed out. But usually it is. lol

Mateo-Feo - 10-13-2018 at 11:41 AM

norte - 10-13-2018 at 12:29 PM

I believe there is a detour around this already.

mjs - 10-13-2018 at 06:42 PM

5 is passable to Hwy 1. There are detours around the damaged roadway and bridges. This will likely be a multi-year reconstruction as a couple of the big bridges are out. Also lots of damage to the new road bed being built north of Puertecitos. It's interesting to see the damage around some of the culverts that were built. Slightly undersized to say the least.

Matomi looks to be in bad shape. A lot of water came down that canyon.

watizname - 10-14-2018 at 07:51 AM

Looks to me that they had it right the first time with the "fair weather crossings" on the old San Felipe/Puertocitos road. They should have continued with that type of construction on the new as their culverts look to be grossly undersized for the amount of water that came thru. Makes for a slower road, but seems it lasted a lot longer than the new construction, and don't we go to Mexico to "slow down"?

bkbend - 10-14-2018 at 07:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by watizname  
Looks to me that they had it right the first time with the "fair weather crossings" on the old San Felipe/Puertocitos road. They should have continued with that type of construction on the new as their culverts look to be grossly undersized for the amount of water that came thru. Makes for a slower road, but seems it lasted a lot longer than the new construction, and don't we go to Mexico to "slow down"?

Yep. I just drove Mex 5 to Chapala today and peeked into the new culverts. Many were plugged with dirt and the new roadbed washed out on both sides. All of the washouts south of Puertocitos had easy detours in place, the only rough and steep one was just north of Huerfanito, wouldn't want to drag an RV through that one but semis are back on the road. All of the holes in the pavement are well marked and boulders pushed to the side except for some smaller rockfall near Papa's.