BajaNomad

Where can I buy a 2 gallon toilet?

elfbrewery - 1-19-2019 at 02:28 PM

I've been putting up with a 1.6 gallon toilet for years and it needs to be replaced. Where I live, 1.6 gallons doesn't flush well. I want a 2 gallon or more tank, but the bowl and bottom parts need to be replaced as well. In the U.S., 1.6 gallons is the best the manufacturers are allowed to make.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Bob and Susan - 1-19-2019 at 02:59 PM

actually a 1.6 gallon toilet IS a 4 gallon toilet

buy a "fluidmaster flusher fixer kit" and replace "the guts"

put the float to the highest position before you install it

the lowest position is the 1.6 gallon position

elfbrewery - 1-19-2019 at 03:53 PM

Interestink....
Thanks.

John Harper - 1-19-2019 at 06:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
actually a 1.6 gallon toilet IS a 4 gallon toilet

buy a "fluidmaster flusher fixer kit" and replace "the guts"

put the float to the highest position before you install it

the lowest position is the 1.6 gallon position

Yep, I have my old "full flush" toilet levels set much lower than standard, seems to flush just fine and use half the water. Easier than using a brick to displace some volume.

John

[Edited on 1-20-2019 by John Harper]

motoged - 1-19-2019 at 07:36 PM

What I don't like about newer toilets with less water in the bowl and per flush:

- if the walls in the bowl above the waterline are dry, "stuff" can stick to the walls....which requires another flush and or the brush.....so....no water savings and more bowl scrubbing; :(

- larger or more solid deposits sometimes need more water to get the deposit down the tube....even if you hold the lever down until tank empties....so it is a good idea to have a plunger nearby...:light:

I must say, I do prefer the taller toilets....easier on the knees.

Or is this just too much information?

elfbrewery - 1-20-2019 at 11:58 AM

Not too much info, I have a bucket (shower water) nearby to dump into the toilet when full flushing is needed. Between the 1.6 and another half-gallon of water, I get the results -- woosh! I read a few years ago that it takes 2 gallons of water in 3 seconds to create enough pressure to fully flush a toilet. That said, there are many opinions and individuals' experiences that may not agree. I just know that mine isn't the only one that has this short-coming.
If it weren't for the fact that the toilet bowl is getting too stained to keep clean (and the base needs to be reconstructed, water shut-off valve replaced, etc.) I would continue to use the saved shower water to help flush the toilet. However, if all this needs to be done, one would think replacing the toilet with one that has a higher gallon per flush rating wouldn't be a big deal. Thus my quandary.

John Harper - 1-20-2019 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

I must say, I do prefer the taller toilets....easier on the knees.

I wonder if the Americans with Disabilities Act led to more of these taller toilets on the market? I don't recall seeing them as a kid. Maybe regular folks started seeing these styles as more practical? Senior demographics?

Who standardized toilet seat heights in the first place? The Crapaloti?

John

[Edited on 1-20-2019 by John Harper]

surabi - 1-20-2019 at 11:32 PM

Here is a nifty, relatively easy trick you can try when you have a toilet that isn't flushing well. If you have hard water, or gritty water, all the little holes under the toilet rim and the hole at the bottom which goes forwards get plugged up over time so there is not as much water flowing through them when you flush as there should be.

Before you go to bed at night (or before you go out for the day if you're going to be gone several hours, turn off the water valve to the toilet.
Remove the tank lid.
Flush the toilet. Sponge up as much remaining water in the tank as you can. Make sure there's no water above the flapper.
Open the flapper and pour a cup of muriatic acid in there. (wear gloves and eye-protection and something over your mouth and nose)
Close the toilet seat lid.
In the morning, when you open the seat lid, you'll probably see a bunch of crud floating around in the bowl. That's all the crud that was built up in the flushing holes.
Turn the water back on, let the tank fill, then flush and I'll bet you find the flush action a world of difference.
At this point you should also put that rubber glove back on and use a non-scratch scrubby to scrub around and over those rim holes to remove the last bit of crud.
The muriatic acid will also remove the stains from the bowl.
Both my toilets weren't doing a full flush and this fix was a small miracle. Whoosh!

Bob and Susan - 1-21-2019 at 06:04 AM

...or spend a 100 bcks and buy a NEW toilet

John Harper - 1-21-2019 at 06:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Here is a nifty, relatively easy trick you can try when you have a toilet that isn't flushing well. If you have hard water, or gritty water, all the little holes under the toilet rim and the hole at the bottom which goes forwards get plugged up over time so there is not as much water flowing through them when you flush as there should be.

Before you go to bed at night (or before you go out for the day if you're going to be gone several hours, turn off the water valve to the toilet.
Remove the tank lid.
Flush the toilet. Sponge up as much remaining water in the tank as you can. Make sure there's no water above the flapper.
Open the flapper and pour a cup of muriatic acid in there. (wear gloves and eye-protection and something over your mouth and nose)
Close the toilet seat lid.
In the morning, when you open the seat lid, you'll probably see a bunch of crud floating around in the bowl. That's all the crud that was built up in the flushing holes.
Turn the water back on, let the tank fill, then flush and I'll bet you find the flush action a world of difference.
At this point you should also put that rubber glove back on and use a non-scratch scrubby to scrub around and over those rim holes to remove the last bit of crud.
The muriatic acid will also remove the stains from the bowl.
Both my toilets weren't doing a full flush and this fix was a small miracle. Whoosh!

I've used some wet-or-dry fine sandpaper to remove the deposits in the bowl, doesn't seem to scratch the porcelain and works well with no caustic chemicals. I think I've used 400 and 600 grit.

John

Bob and Susan - 1-21-2019 at 06:46 AM

if you have to use muric acid and sand paper someone is not cleaning your toilet correctly

clr.jpg - 9kB

surabi - 1-21-2019 at 06:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
if you have to use muric acid and sand paper someone is not cleaning your toilet correctly

Not true. The water is really hard where I live- lots of calcium. Just the water sitting in the bowl overnight starts the deposits. And you can't clean the holes that work the flush action without pouring something in the flapper which will remove the deposits.
And CLR doesn't work- I've tried it, believe me.
Buying a new toilet isn't the answer- a new toilet will have the same build up problems in the flushing holes as the old toilet did.

sd - 1-21-2019 at 09:23 PM

Buy an American Standard brand - Champion collection - model Champion 4. Advertises they can flush golf balls.
I have tried many brands, this one works best.

sd - 1-21-2019 at 09:30 PM

Current price at Home Depot in California is;
$178 for standard height round seat
$199 for tall version - elongated seat - best choice!!

elfbrewery - 1-22-2019 at 12:43 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm all ears.

imlost - 1-22-2019 at 01:32 PM

Do you need this for Mexico or the US?

elfbrewery - 1-22-2019 at 01:43 PM

Mexico.

imlost - 1-22-2019 at 03:27 PM

I know you're wanting a higher capacity tank, however, I just replaced some higher capacity toilets with these from Home Depot, and I'm really happy with the results. They're $1899 pesos / $99 USD, so definitely affordable, too.

elfbrewery - 1-22-2019 at 03:55 PM

Sounds good, but experience here on the beach with undocumented, unknown plumbing lines tells me that I need more water to create enough pressure. Although, I know some toilets compensate with some kind of pressure assist, but I don't know the market down here for that.
Thanks for the link.

imlost - 1-22-2019 at 04:18 PM

Understood. It's a serious subject that requires some serious thought.

Keep in mind that pressure assist toilets are loud. They're also prone to problems and can be expensive to repair.

If your waste pipe (that leaves the toilet) has drainage or vent issues, no toilet will solve that problem.

surabi - 1-22-2019 at 08:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elfbrewery  
Not too much info, I have a bucket (shower water) nearby to dump into the toilet when full flushing is needed. Between the 1.6 and another half-gallon of water, I get the results -- woosh! I read a few years ago that it takes 2 gallons of water in 3 seconds to create enough pressure to fully flush a toilet. That said, there are many opinions and individuals' experiences that may not agree. I just know that mine isn't the only one that has this short-coming.
If it weren't for the fact that the toilet bowl is getting too stained to keep clean (and the base needs to be reconstructed, water shut-off valve replaced, etc.) I would continue to use the saved shower water to help flush the toilet. However, if all this needs to be done, one would think replacing the toilet with one that has a higher gallon per flush rating wouldn't be a big deal. Thus my quandary.

elf- I have 1.6 gallon toilets. They flush just fine. I'm the one who wrote about the muriatic acid down the flapper trick. If you want to buy a new toilet, go for it, but I can assure there is nothing about a 1.6 gallon that would make it not flush properly unless the flush holes are plugged up.

surabi - 1-22-2019 at 08:40 PM

elf, you don't seem to understand how a toilet works. The plumbing lines to your toilet have nothing to do with it. It is the water in the tank that flushes the toilet- it doesn't need pressure, it works on gravity- you depress the lever and the water in the tank flows through the holes under the rim and at the front of the bottom. But it won't get enough water flow through those holes if the space is reduced due to mineral build up, or maybe even dirt or sand if that's coming down the water lines.
It doesn't matter if your toilet is by the beach or on a mountaintop, or whether you have a pressurized water system or not, or whether the plumbing lines are old. As long as the tank is filling and there's a free flow of water through the toilet, a toilet works the same everywhere.

[Edited on 1-23-2019 by surabi]

AKgringo - 1-22-2019 at 09:07 PM

Keep in mind that any toilet depends on the drain line and vents to be properly designed, constructed and maintained. What the toilet dumps into matters!

elfbrewery - 1-23-2019 at 01:18 PM

Surabi - Thanks for the reassurance. I've checked the holes under the rim and there is very little debris in the bottom of the tank. I dropped a large fishing weight on a line down the vent and it went straight to the bottom and came back slightly wet. We put a 2" hose down the toilet hole and water ran freely from a water truck out to two holding tanks. The toilet flushes well, just no whoosh.
I think gravity is the answer, too.

I'm enjoying all this feedback, keep it coming.

AKgringo - I wish someone knew where the drain lines go...I'm having to plunge the toilet because there's a backup ... s-o-m-e-w-h-e-r-e...???... but I think the toilet is not the problem as flushing it with extra water has worked for several years.

AKgringo - 1-23-2019 at 02:11 PM

Sounds like you have done all the right stuff, and maybe your system is just a quart low! Also, if you are on a septic system, I would be very cautious about what chemicals you put down the drain

elfbrewery - 1-23-2019 at 02:13 PM

Agreed. Thanks.

surabi - 1-23-2019 at 05:38 PM

Surabi - Thanks for the reassurance. I've checked the holes under the rim and there is very little debris in the bottom of the tank. I dropped a large fishing weight on a line down the vent and it went straight to the bottom and came back slightly wet. We put a 2" hose down the toilet hole and water ran freely from a water truck out to two holding tanks. The toilet flushes well, just no whoosh.
I think gravity is the answer, too.

I'm enjoying all this feedback, keep it coming.

AKgringo - I wish someone knew where the drain lines go...I'm having to plunge the toilet because there's a backup ... s-o-m-e-w-h-e-r-e...???... but I think the toilet is not the problem as flushing it with extra water has worked for several years.

Elf- just looking at the holes under the rim won't tell you if there's reduced space between there and the tank from mineral buildup.
I'm just speaking from experience here- having 1.6 gallon toilets that weren't doing a full whoosh flush- when I read online about the muriatic acid trick and tried it, they instantly started flushing with a "whoosh".
And no, as AK says, it's not good to put chemicals in your septic, but I'm on a private septic and doing this didn't affect it negatively. It's not something you'd want to do every day, but a cupful of muriatic acid, once a year (actually I only had to do it once in 11 years, but do use a bit every couple months or so to remove the hard water stains) won't damage a septic system that's working well.
Yeah, it's too bad you don't know where the toilet drains to and that there seems to be a blockage.

surabi - 1-23-2019 at 11:44 PM

Elf- just for imterest's sake, why don't you try the muriatic fix as I described it? The worst that happens is you waste the 10 minutes it takes and a cupful of muriatic acid, which costs pennies. Or we could just talk about it endlessly :-)

mtgoat666 - 1-24-2019 at 07:28 AM

I have a low flow toilet, and my crap goes down fine.
Me thinks some of you need to make smaller craps.

If you have tons of mineral deposits that stain your bowl quickly, it is Probably easiest to just keep the lid down so you don’t have to look at the ugly results, and quit worrying about cleaning the bowl.

If you have bad mineral deposits, and are also producing monstrous unflushable craps, you should pay your cleaning lady a hazardous work supplement.

Btw, this thread really needs some pictures,....

[Edited on 1-24-2019 by mtgoat666]

DavidT - 1-24-2019 at 08:01 AM

And when you get your 2 gallon toilet you may find that you no longer need a Poop Knife.

Bob and Susan - 1-24-2019 at 11:20 AM

its time to open up the septic tank and see if there is the "white foamy" stuff clogging it

might be time for a "clean out"

Pacifico - 1-24-2019 at 11:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DavidT  

And when you get your 2 gallon toilet you may find that you no longer need a Poop Knife.

Now, that's a funny link!!!

elfbrewery - 1-24-2019 at 11:59 AM

A line from our house to the septic tank was snaked and the septic tank was cleaned out, but stuff isn't flowing into it. Could be there is enough in the septic tank again to slow down the works... No one wants to jump in to find where the pipes are. I'm at a stalemate with the maintenance guy.

Anyway, I still want to nail down a new toilet once we get the septic issue resolved. If I can track down some muriatic acid, I give it a shot, just for fun.

imlost - 1-24-2019 at 12:34 PM

It sounds like a section of your waste pipe may have a dip in it. Poop only flows downhill, so if that's the case, you'll need to make sure there is a drop of at least 1/4 inch per foot between your house and the septic tank. No toilet will help this chituation.

Bob and Susan - 1-24-2019 at 12:39 PM

did you OPEN up the tank?

if not it cold be FULL
there should be several compartments

elfbrewery - 1-24-2019 at 12:48 PM

Anything is possible as the pipes were installed yonks ago (i.e., long time ago) and cemented over. It makes it difficult to know where the lines run and breaking through someone's patio or garage or flooring is not a popular option for snooping things out. The septic tank was opened and we saw it was about half the level as before, but we still couldn't see whether the level is above the input pipe. If the input pipe is as low as that, then it is definitely on a good slope from the holding tank in front of our house. The tank in front of our house is also piped into by other houses, so something is "bound" to happen and then it will get addressed, I hope.

imlost - 1-24-2019 at 01:56 PM

You can check out the waste pipe without digging it up. You just need to run a video camera down the pipe.

elfbrewery - 1-24-2019 at 03:26 PM

That would be like a colonoscopy... not pretty.

JoeJustJoe - 1-24-2019 at 07:15 PM

This is disgusting thread. Where are the members calling for the thread to be moved to the OT, like when there is a political thread?

All these ideas recommended here probably won't work and you're working in the dark.

Before you make recommendations you should at least get an idea of the average size of the feces and how many wipes and toilet paper is being used at one sitting.

I woild tell the OP do a one flush after the main dump, and then flush again after clean up.

If this doesn't work buy a power flush toilet. I have one tollet in the house that with number #1 I flush downward, if number #2, I flush upward that brings more power and works.

Joe KNOWS Scheisse !

MrBillM - 1-24-2019 at 07:29 PM

Bowel Blockages are right up his back alley.

So to speak.

surabi - 1-27-2019 at 07:33 PM

A line from our house to the septic tank was snaked and the septic tank was cleaned out, but stuff isn't flowing into it. Could be there is enough in the septic tank again to slow down the works... No one wants to jump in to find where the pipes are. I'm at a stalemate with the maintenance guy.

Anyway, I still want to nail down a new toilet once we get the septic issue resolved. If I can track down some muriatic acid, I give it a shot, just for fun.

They sell muriatic acid in every hardware and paint store. It's a no brainer- not necessary to "track some down".

elfbrewery - 1-29-2019 at 01:41 PM

Okay. I thought I'd unclog my corroded stubborn brain by doing the hot (120F) vinegar overnight clean, pouring vinegar down the overflow pipe till I could see it coming through and topping up the toilet with some more to get into the outflow pipes.
It may be a cleaner toilet, but still doesn't completely flush. Oh, well. I have a plumber lined up...

All that great input and you still gotta hire a pro??

thebajarunner - 1-29-2019 at 05:24 PM

Okay. I thought I'd unclog my corroded stubborn brain by doing the hot (120F) vinegar overnight clean, pouring vinegar down the overflow pipe till I could see it coming through and topping up the toilet with some more to get into the outflow pipes.
It may be a cleaner toilet, but still doesn't completely flush. Oh, well. I have a plumber lined up...

I even learned a lot from this thread,
too bad it did not solve the problem.

defrag4 - 1-30-2019 at 02:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

They sell muriatic acid in every hardware and paint store. It's a no brainer- not necessary to "track some down".

they sell here in MX at the grocery store as well, its used as a floor cleaner

BajaTed - 1-30-2019 at 03:21 PM

1500 psi Hydro jet with a video camera. Pump out the septic tank at the same time.

bajabuddha - 1-30-2019 at 03:23 PM

Question on the muriatic acid trick; do you pour any down the overflow tube or just into the main flapper hole? And what is considered an ample amount of time?