BajaNomad

Dog Friendly

DianaT - 3-8-2019 at 07:55 PM

1. Is the Hotel Mission Santa Maria in San Quintin still dog friendly and if so, are they charging for dogs?

2. Does Jardines still have dog rooms and do they charge for the dogs?

3. Is the Hotel La Huerta in San Ignacio dog friendly? And do they charge for dogs?

4. What is the current condition of the road out to the Lagoon?

5. It has been a while, so we no longer have our papers, so how much is the current tourist visa?

Just thinking, maybe and while we no longer have our Tommy Dog and Maggie, (RIP sweet babies and we will always miss you) , we now have our Tigger and Mazie. :-)

BajaParrothead - 3-8-2019 at 08:12 PM

Welcome back DianaT. Can't help with the accommodations since I don't bring the fur babies, but good luck and enjoy!!

windgrrl - 3-9-2019 at 07:34 AM

Hotel Jardines - yes.

We reserve in advance at all hotels because lots of folks are travelling with pets.

Baja dog friendly listing from Discover Baja:
https://www.discoverbaja.com/pet-friendly-hotels-baja/

Enjoy the journey,
W

Fernweh - 3-9-2019 at 07:38 AM

Sorry, but no more pets here:

3. Is the Hotel La Huerta in San Ignacio dog friendly? And do they charge for dogs?

RnR - 3-9-2019 at 08:16 AM

We just stayed at La Huerta in San Ignacio about six weeks ago and had no problems with our dogs. Actually, we had three couples in three rooms and two rooms were 'dog friendly rooms'. I think that we did pay a little extra.

We have stayed at the following hotels with our dogs and have found that each hotel has a finite number of 'dog friendly' rooms. After the designated rooms are full, the hotel may become non-dog "friendly".

Jardines - About seven rooms. Only the ground floor rooms around the little courtyard. (#1 to 7)

Mision Santa Maria - About six rooms. The last rooms to the left of the courtyard.

TerraSal - About ten rooms. Only the east side rooms of the first row of buildings to the right. (#101 to 110 or 112)

La Huerta - About four rooms. Only the ground floor rooms to the right side of the staircase.

Old La Pinta in San Ignacio - The last three rooms to the left of the courtyard.

Hotel Tripui - Just about any room but they prefer to put you in the ground floor rooms at the right end of building.

Bottom line - Call and make a reservation for a "dog friendly" room or the designated rooms may be full when you get there. (Especially important at Jardines)

billklaser - 3-9-2019 at 09:04 AM

We stay at Hotel Villa San Quintin, they have dog friendly rooms for a minor up-charge. It's all detailed on their website.

fishbuck - 3-9-2019 at 09:31 AM

Please leave you dog at home.

Howard - 3-9-2019 at 09:32 AM

Please explain why we should leave our dogs home.

fishbuck - 3-9-2019 at 09:37 AM

Simple request. No explanation necessary.
You know why.

Howard - 3-9-2019 at 09:43 AM

I decline your request and no, I don't know why.

fishbuck - 3-9-2019 at 10:00 AM

Your perogative and your ignorance.

RnR - 3-9-2019 at 10:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

You have the option to request a 'non-dog' room. As posted above, most hotels 'dog friendly' rooms are a small percentage of their total number of rooms.

Kinda like the option of "smoking/non-smoking" rooms at a lot of hotels.

[Edited on 3-9-2019 by RnR]

fishbuck - 3-9-2019 at 10:06 AM

I think I will use this list to pick a non dog hotel.

mtgoat666 - 3-9-2019 at 10:14 AM

Why don’t you like dogs?
What is wrong with you?

David K - 3-9-2019 at 10:16 AM

LOL, yes, I am also a dog lover... but when I stay at a hotel, I would be far more comfortable to know a dog, with who knows what crawling on them, was allowed to sleep on top of the bed. I know how clean or behaved my dog was, but I have no idea about someone else's.

These hotels in water-short Baja locations do not wash the spreads or blankets after every guest. They may not have over-sized machines in their town.

Howard - 3-9-2019 at 10:17 AM

That is your perogative.

Someone woke up on the grouchy side of the bed calling someone ignorant for wanting to travel with their dog.

At least you finally do have an opinion on something as most of your posts are the most wishy washy posts on this board. Congratulations, you have actually made up your mind on something without agonizing over your decision.

Woof, woof.

[Edited on 3-9-2019 by Howard]

fishbuck - 3-9-2019 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Why don’t you like dogs?
What is wrong with you?

I like dogs so I guess that means nothing is wrong with me by your logic

AguaDulce - 3-9-2019 at 10:22 AM

My Dog always goes to baja. I have a dog bed in my truck and she sleeps on it. I know the dog friendly hotels when I use one .I camp more than use hotels. When the hotel is slow and my group wants a certain hotel I show the owner the bed and have never been turned down. She sleeps on the floor.

DianaT - 3-9-2019 at 10:42 AM

To the ones who took the time to post good hotel information, I thank you VERY MUCH. It is very much appreciated. It is obviously more limited and difficult than in years past. We usually don't make any reservations, but it looks like if we do decide to go, we will need the reservations for our pups. And BajaParrothead, thanks for the welcome. :biggrin:

I obtained the very up to date road information from one of the Talk Baja Facebook sites which is a good thing.

Fishbuck and David K, thank you very much for making me remember why I seldom visit this forum any more. :D

willardguy - 3-9-2019 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
To the ones who took the time to post good hotel information, I thank you VERY MUCH. It is very much appreciated. It is obviously more limited and difficult than in years past. We usually don't make any reservations, but it looks like if we do decide to go, we will need the reservations for our pups. And BajaParrothead, thanks for the welcome. :biggrin:

I obtained the very up to date road information from one of the Talk Baja Facebook sites which is a good thing.

Fishbuck and David K, thank you very much for making me remember why I seldom visit this forum any more. :D

well said mrs T :coolup:

David K - 3-9-2019 at 10:55 AM

I was only responding to MtGoat666, but whatever... :rolleyes:

windgrrl - 3-9-2019 at 01:27 PM

Our dog sleeps in her own bed on the floor. One ought to be as concerned about detritus shed on furnishings and intimate surfaces by the human guest. :P

billklaser - 3-9-2019 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by windgrrl  
Our dog sleeps in her own bed on the floor. One ought to be as concerned about detritus shed on furnishings and intimate surfaces by the human guest. :P

My thoughts exactly!

windgrrl - 3-9-2019 at 01:51 PM

These are the dirtiest places in you hotel room:
http://time.com/5135121/dirty-hotel-rooms-germs/

That’s why we stay in a hotel room only when all other options are unavailable.

Bajazly - 3-9-2019 at 03:38 PM

Just out of curiosity, what are the other options above a hotel room that would offer little or no germs?

Lee - 3-9-2019 at 03:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AguaDulce  
My Dog always goes to baja. I have a dog bed in my truck and she sleeps on it. I know the dog friendly hotels when I use one .I camp more than use hotels. When the hotel is slow and my group wants a certain hotel I show the owner the bed and have never been turned down. She sleeps on the floor.

Great post and what I do. My attitude is I don't care whether a hotel is dog friendly or not. My dog can sleep in it's bed in the room, or in the car. Either way.

Jardins charges me $100 pesos for my dog. No problem. 2 dog max.

Lee - 3-9-2019 at 03:46 PM

You guys happy now? See what you're causing?

(Still love ya DK. Drinks are still on me.)

pauldavidmena - 3-9-2019 at 04:18 PM

I wish we could bring our dog with us to Baja, because I think he would love it there and we miss him whenever we go anywhere without him. The fact is that at this point in my career I can't really take more than a week of vacation at a time, which makes driving from MA a non-starter. It's also becoming harder and harder to find airlines willing to accommodate dogs, so we leave him with a sitter who spoils him rotten and wonder why it's so quiet.

The good news is that I'm only 2 or 3 years away from retirement, at which point we'll make an extended trip with the pooch, who will be a wily but wise 9 or 10 years old.

windgrrl - 3-9-2019 at 04:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

Just out of curiosity, what are the other options above a hotel room that would offer little or no germs?

It not about having little or no germs for me, certain forms of bacteria, yeast and even moulds are desirable for a good life. It’s about decreasing exposure to the harmful type of microbial load as noted in the article. The hotel alternatives include camping with
one’s own gear.

AKgringo - 3-9-2019 at 05:21 PM

windgrrl, one of the very few hotels I have checked into with my dog is not on the link you posted earlier.

The Hacienda in Mulege has a couple of rooms that are available. The house cat has the run of the courtyard, so I was asked to keep my girl on a lease while on premises. She actually gets along fine with cats, but I was glad to comply!

Accross the street from the back entrance is a path down to the river that was handy for our walks.

If there was a charge for the dog, it was included in the room rate, which was very reasonable!

David K - 3-9-2019 at 06:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Love you, too, Lee! ;)

Skipjack Joe - 3-10-2019 at 06:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
LOL, yes, I am also a dog lover... but when I stay at a hotel, I would be far more comfortable to know a dog, with who knows what crawling on them, was allowed to sleep on top of the bed. I know how clean or behaved my dog was, but I have no idea about someone else's.

These hotels in water-short Baja locations do not wash the spreads or blankets after every guest. They may not have over-sized machines in their town.

Fully agree. And this has nothing to do with loving or not loving dogs.

pacificobob - 3-10-2019 at 08:17 AM

[/rquote]

well said indeed.

thebajarunner - 3-10-2019 at 03:39 PM

Whoa!!!!! Putting down dogs is like putting down your girlfriend,
maybe worse...

I love dogs
We have a 130 pound American Bulldog, and he is absolutely part of the family.

But, Rocky stays home when we travel. He understands this deal and is content to enjoy the other benefits of a big backyard, a pool and his own very comfy house.

One of my favorite places in the Sierras is Calaveras Big Trees State Park. They have a two mile instructional trail that is fabulous, I take young people groups and guys from our rehab facility there all summer.
Big sign at the beginning of the trail....."Please, NO DOGS"
Yet, every bend of the trail, yep, here is poochie on a string.

We leave Rocky at home because when we return it makes him very happy. And we can concentrate on traveling and not baby(dog)sitting.

freediverbrian - 3-10-2019 at 06:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

[/rquote]

well saigd indeed.

It has to do about being positive or being a troll. Be positive pormote this board, it IS failing and will die without positive and instructive information to legitimate questions . Please respond with usefull answers or STFU

[Edited on 3-11-2019 by freediverbrian]

pacificobob - 3-10-2019 at 07:26 PM

calmate.

road pooch

EdZeranski - 3-10-2019 at 09:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by billklaser  
We stay at Hotel Villa San Quintin, they have dog friendly rooms for a minor up-charge. It's all detailed on their website.

I think the whole rear bldg at Hotel Villa San Quintin is pet friendly. Never had problems there or Jardines

BajaBlanca - 3-11-2019 at 08:14 AM

windgrrl - that was a very interesting article! what have we learned? put the top of the toilet down when flushing. even when at home!

as a hotelito owner, I am a bit fanatic about cleaning the bathroom and more - they never mentioned door handles but that is the first thing I clean...so many people and so many possible germs! I wipe down all the surfaces in the rooms with a disinfecting cloth, the bathroom toilet tank gets cleaned from top to bottom! I even wipe the shower handles, I mean, lots of people touching those as well. and I wipe down the light switches.

Back to the DOGS - I know when the dog has slept on the bed! It is OK in your own bed (each to his own) but honestly, having a doggie bed is the best idea on the planet.

As an improvement to our overall experience on this site: maybe we should refrain from putting in our personal opinions when someone asks a question, and simply answer the question!

Jack Swords - 3-11-2019 at 09:59 AM

Since we usually stayed in Baja for over 4 months, our family member dog always went with us. We have a soft sided crate (https://www.chewy.com/petmate-portable-pet-home-dark/dp/5345...) that folds up and flattens. Our dog is well trained and never allowed on a bed (our lap, sure). The crate is used in dog friendly hotels, or stays in the car for the dog's bed. We have shown the crate to motel owners who are unsure about letting a dog in the room and they usually have no problem then. We are, of course, always willing to pay extra for our dog. We try to exclusively stay in dog friendly places supporting those who support us. I suspect being a dog friendly hotel helps the bottom line, especially when travel advisers have that as a stated benefit. Hotels should have dog free rooms for allergy prone folks too.

JoeJustJoe - 3-11-2019 at 10:13 AM

Oh please the dog N-zis are out in full force in this thread!

I never seen anything like it, if you tell the dog owners, to keep your pet at home, and off the hotel room beds.

I'm a dog lover, but that love mostly extends to my dogs, but not all dogs, or their owners.

Some dog owners are crazy, and treat their dogs like children, and I'm sorry not all dogs are housebroken 100% of the time. And dog owners, who insist on taking their dogs on trips, are probably most likely to sleep with their dogs too.

So yes there is a possibility, you could find fleas, and rements of urine or feces, in a hotel room that allows dogs, and that stench may remain even after the maid comes by.

I have a chihuahua, and it took forever to potty train her, but if I took her on a trip, she could very well go in the corner of the hotel room and do her duty, since she knows it's not her house, and is unlikely to get yelled at.

When I travel, I rather stay in a hotel room that's not dog friendly, but that's just me.

Lee - 3-11-2019 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

When I travel, I rather stay in a hotel room that's not dog friendly, but that's just me.

Me too. Asked to see the dog room at Villas SQ. Tile floor vs. carpeting. Guess the windows were closed -- I was bowled over by the kennel smell. I would never stay in a dog room. But that's just me.

I see all rooms as dog rooms if negotiated properly. Just how I do it.

Worse case scenario, my fearless search and recovery Lab sleeps in my SUV. Not a problem.

fishbuck - 3-11-2019 at 12:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

I am happy that the filthiness of dogs in hotels is being discussed.
But I will be happier if i figure out how to stay out of filthy dog hotels.
Thank you for askig Lee.

fishbuck - 3-11-2019 at 01:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  

[/rquote]

well saigd indeed.

It has to do about being positive or being a troll. Be positive pormote this board, it IS failing and will die without positive and instructive information to legitimate questions . Please respond with usefull answers or STFU

1)Who cares?

2) How do you ,Freediverbrian, decide that you have the right or authority to tell me or anyone else how to think or act.

Even if you say please it is still rude, offensive, and wrong.

You have a right to free speech but do not have the right to impose your views on others.

This is a discussion board. We are all equals here.
Except Doug.
He is the actual owner and has private proprty rights we don't have.
We are all his guests here.

[Edited on 3-11-2019 by fishbuck]

fishbuck - 3-11-2019 at 01:23 PM

Therapy dogs can spread superbugs to kids, hospital finds
One U.S. health official said the findings add to the growing understanding that while interactions with pets and therapy animals can be beneficial, they can also carry risk.

"Whether covered in fur, feathers or scales, animals have the potential to carry germs that make people sick," said Casey Barton Behravesh of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

But there have been episodes of the superbug MRSA riding around on healthy-looking therapy dogs.

Lee - 3-11-2019 at 02:47 PM

"Whether covered in fur, feathers or scales, animals have the potential to carry germs that make people sick," said Casey Barton Behravesh of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Always good to travel with Imodium (loperamide) and Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate. Also carry amoxicillin.

fishbuck - 3-11-2019 at 03:00 PM

Spoken like a true UNITITED STATES of AMERICA MARINE.
Semper fidelis.
Incidently, those over the counter remedies don't work on alot things.
But the superbugs in you won't have diarrhea. So atleast you have that going for you...

freediverbrian - 3-11-2019 at 06:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  

well saigd indeed.[/rquo

This board IS dieing ,David has to bump old posts to have new material to read And it is because of the negative attitude on this board . I am sorry if I came off too strong but I think this board can add good and useful information, but too many times it sinks to the gutter and many baja travelers looking for good and current information are turned off my the vile on this board. I am all for free speech but PLEASE turn the retoric down so Baja Nomad can survive.

1)Who cares?

2) How do you ,Freediverbrian, decide that you have the right or authority to tell me or anyone else how to think or act.

Even if you say please it is still rude, offensive, and wrong.

You have a right to free speech but do not have the right to impose your views on others.

This is a discussion board. We are all equals here.
Except Doug.
He is the actual owner and has private proprty rights we don't have.
We are all his guests here.

BajaMama - 3-11-2019 at 09:30 PM

Baja Cactus in El Rosario, The hotel in Catavina and TerraSal all have dog friendly rooms. I have stayed at La Huerta in San Ignacio - was previously dog friendly, did not know they no longer allow dogs. I ALWAYS put my own very large cover on the bed (and slip edge over the top edge) so as to keep other dog hairs off me and my dog hairs off the hotel's bed. I hear Rice and Beans in San Ignacio is dog friendly too. Most places have an uncharge for dogs as well as designated dog rooms.
While flying is sometimes an option, I choose to drive because 1.) I love the drive and 2.) I will never ever suffer my dog to fly again.

Skipjack Joe - 3-11-2019 at 10:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

As an improvement to our overall experience on this site: maybe we should refrain from putting in our personal opinions when someone asks a question, and simply answer the question!

What was the original question? Ah yes - where can you stay if you're traveling with a dog? It kind of got lost with all the comments. Posts often lead to conversations and that isn't necessarily bad I think. Sometimes the poster doesn't like where it goes though. If you're a major dog lover it might be unpleasant to be reminded that not everybody likes sleeping in a room that has had a dog in it recently.

Whale-ista - 3-13-2019 at 04:15 PM

To those hotels already mentioned here I would add:

Terra Sol in GN - they have allowed pets in the past. All their rooms are on the ground floor, and exit directly into the parking area, making off-hour walks easier/less disruptive to adjacent guests than some other properties.

IMO- One of the joys of travel in Baja is sharing the trip with friends & family, including pets. And while I worry about germs and cleanliness at hotels in general- whether they allow dogs or not- that doesn't stop us from traveling.

We always take reasonable precautions to stay healthy, and avoid making matter worse when travelling with a dog. Over the years I've stayed in most of the hotels mentioned here, and had a dog on most of those trips.

Years ago our companion was a large black lab (DEP), more recently a small gray poodle. I explain to the hotel operators a key advantage of poodles: they don't shed.

Still- I carry a fleece travel blanket- and most of the time, both of us sleep on top of it. If it's cold: I bring in the sleeping bags.

Finally: I have found most hotels are willing to accept well-behaved dogs (esp smaller ones) if you ask nicely, even if signs state otherwise. That happened once in GN, after a mishap inside my camper made it impossible to sleep inside while parked in the RV area behind Mallarimo.

The staff allowed me to stay in a room with the aforementioned poodle. It was low season, so there were plenty of rooms available.

So- it never hurts to ask.

(The photo shows her enjoying Copa Mundial in Cabo Pulmo a few years ago- there were other dogs in the cafe as well)

dtbushpilot - 3-13-2019 at 04:53 PM

I go to the front desk with my 4lb Yorkie under my arm and ask"are pets ok"? After they say yes I bring in the Baja dog and cats. But don't despair, they don't sleep on the bed..😏

Whale-ista - 3-13-2019 at 05:07 PM

Ha! We've been tempted to adopt a few of those Baja dogs as well...so far: they have stayed at the beach.